(Topic ID: 224963)

Joe Balcer confirms Oktoberfest as American Pinball's next pin.

By PismoArcade

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 4,992 posts
  • 466 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Ferret
  • Topic is favorited by 79 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

8880f5e6998fb0663ff4a9a77f40c92eb6c125f2 (resized).png
okt (resized).jpg
59547925-ED73-4D13-9C0B-C0B4DB7F1F2C (resized).jpeg
20210418_173000 (resized).jpg
IMG_8199 (resized).jpg
20211127_232248 (resized).jpg
BLKFRIDAY2021 (1) (resized).png
16341706819071145026220657450351 (resized).jpg
AAAABWnlUYQGnwPYrDFi3t2ZJg8xDmhdqB2hGmDLTPnpLg4SjPq15X8P8IAl66bSXZXeQjCVgv9i_WrsIbMEvcUa9pH863X- (resized).jpg
20211006_190939 (resized).jpg
47cc5c7a51600f42dccc5022b9550eca8025c861 (resized).jpg
IMG_7361 (resized).jpg
IMG_7362 (resized).jpg
Okt upgraded coil stop - blue = new (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
20210620_160449 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #928 Oktoberfest initial release pics and rule card pic Posted by PinballSTAR (5 years ago)

Post #1686 Updated (final?) Oktoberfest cabinet art Posted by HOOKED (5 years ago)

Post #1954 Link to 3/1/19 streaming video Posted by chuckwurt (5 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider barryj.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#297 5 years ago
Quoted from mcbPalisade:

Could be, never got that far or noticed ) - : I hear they are hard to fix when the cheap servo breaks.
Several catapults around, maybe we should have a metric something like: inchesThrown * percentSuccessful with separated graph lines for different AC line voltages

Why so angry??? Is it because we wouldn't use your product!

#323 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

Yeah, and I want to see barryj and Joe Balcer in lederhosen !

DONE! I'm rocking that shit out at EXPO!

1 week later
#473 5 years ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

To a german "Das Boot" is an old Book/ Series/ Movie about a german submarine ans its crew in WW2. Very iconic Soundtrack. Spawned one of The First popular techno songs. (U96)
Honestly I didn't know why everyone referred to a Submarine.

I have this movie on DVD.. Great movie!

3 weeks later
#577 5 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

If the IRS denies you an try to taking it to the Supreme Court, where this at least one justice who "likes beer" and "likes to drink beer" and did I mention, he "likes beer"

Sounds like you personally drink with him.

#591 5 years ago
Quoted from solarvalue:

Took some screenshots of the Oktoberfest flyer at the York show from a video on Pinball Star's Facebook page:
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
https://www.facebook.com/PinballSTAR/videos/521631981575570/

I thought we were gonna do a reveal at Chicago.. Guess I missed that memo!

#602 5 years ago
Quoted from konjurer:

For a crappy picture I think I like the vibe.
API - why would you allow this crappy picture to be released? I would release a high res picture immediately. Take control of your marketing messages for heavens sake!

I do not believe it was supposed to be released.

#604 5 years ago
Quoted from konjurer:

Barry, I guessed that was probably the case.
My point was that a little damage control might be in order. We've seen this happen with every manufacturer. People go ape shit over a grainy image of an art package and that sets the mob mentality in motion. You only get once chance at a first impression of your game - which is already under a lot of scrutiny over the theme. Do you really want the dirndl-wearing serving girl to be the mom-jeans guy that now comes up in every conversation about Dialed In? I'm guessing that artwork looks great in real life - just release a high res image now. I bet Chris K is going to go ape shit when he sees that yet another company has had a low res image released - one of his top 10 pinball marketing missteps.

We are looking into it. This is above my pay grade but I do have an opinion on it, and I will keep it to myself.

#645 5 years ago
Quoted from PinballSTAR:

Barry,
Pictures were specifically sent to me by AP because they were released to other distributors previously specifically to do marketing items. I didn’t ask for anything not even knew they existed, I was offered them.
Joe

I guess someone forgot that they authorized the release of them.

#646 5 years ago
Quoted from djreddog:

Oktoberfest backglass. [quoted image]

That is not the backglass.

1 week later
#1399 5 years ago
Quoted from Nepi23:

This is a pin for which API should offer also some alternative cleavage-art!
And a beer-keg mod, whose tap you can operate with the second flipper button!!!!

We will be working on alternative art.. Backglass as well as cabinet that would be available as an add on.

#1410 5 years ago
Quoted from colonel_caverne:

If artwork can change in an add on package, I also hope they could give us the opportunity to make our own music mix, either with songs prerecorded and loaded in the game that you can select through the settings menu (in particular for some modes that could use metal music) or from outside by ourselves.

Certainly something to work on down the road. But right now we are all hands on deck trying to get this to market.

#1416 5 years ago
Quoted from colonel_caverne:

No problem...that could help about me if I get the certainty it is possible.
When do you plan to come into production?

That my friend is the million dollar question! We are trying to get it on the line by December 3rd... But there are many hurdles yet to overcome. So I am not sure, is my answer.

#1431 5 years ago
Quoted from HighVoltage:

Is this much different than other companies offering different models with different art? So much for the one model for all philosophy.
Add-on? Why not just an option at no extra charge? Out-Sterning Stern here? You get to pay for the mediocre art, then pay again for a different art package.
Put me down for I'd -never- pay extra to improve a mediocre art package on a premium-priced machine. But I'm sure a lot of people will.
"We blew it, but we're not going to pay for it, you will." Should really pull a JJP here and do a take-2.

The art displayed on the proto games are not the final art work... The art on OKF will evolve before the final production version. The alternative art package will be more of an adult theme and therefore an option to the standard art package. This option is still in a infancy mode and may never come to fruition.

#1445 5 years ago

Please lets keep in mind the 3 games were Prototypes. They didn't leave the factory until 4pm for an 830pm reveal!

We were elated to have three games available to show and play... Did I mention they were 3 playable games?

Houdini is the benchmark... We will surpass and elevate what we did with Houdini on Oktoberfest....

2 weeks later
#1548 5 years ago
Quoted from CaptK:

If you're still in the process of changing some of the artwork, may I suggest replacing the "Chelsea Clinton" face on the contortionist girl with something else?

I am sure the final art work will be stunning... Cabinet and back glass.

3 weeks later
#1629 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Why is everyone sitting to play?
Still not feeling the generic metal music. The transitions to traditional Oktoberfest music and back again are jarring. It's just too different.

They were having a competition, so everyone in that game had to sit while they played.

Quoted from chuckwurt:

I’ve never been to a show where the vendors or companies stayed until past midnight. AP crew is great. OF is tons of fun. Can’t wait to see it get fleshed out.

Saturday was over 14 hours for me.. Annnnd 8 am I am at work on Monday. WTH

Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

AND the music.....Just watching 5 minutes of video it gets old fast, and with long ball times it will really get old in Home environment.

We had really basic code on the machine with extra long ball save times, so everyone would have the ability to play the machine long enough to get a feel for it.. Believe in me, the ball times are way shorter on the real code.

#1636 5 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

I'm sure it's been discussed but is there a publicly announced target date for O-fest to start shipping? I'm getting excited to try one out on route ...

We are trying to ship 30 units by end of the year.

3 months later
#2228 5 years ago

Getting the Oktoberfest's ready for TPF

#2229 5 years ago
okf (resized).jpgokf (resized).jpg
1 month later
#2711 5 years ago

I will be at the Kalamazoo show April 26 and 27 with Oktoberfest, Houdini and some merch... Come say hi and take them for a spin.

Challenge me to a game and beat me for a prize.

#2718 5 years ago
Quoted from mcbPalisade:

Does OF have the replacement supply for Houdini or something else?

Are you in the market?

#2719 5 years ago
Quoted from greenhornet:

how are the power supplies holding up under load?

The power supply on Oktoberfest is totally different.

As a company we are re-examining everything and improving on it.

2 months later
#3143 4 years ago
Quoted from coz6:

So I played my first games of American Pinball this weekend, the Oktoberfest I played was setup poorly could not make the ramp and other issues so the game seemed terrible but 100% know that setup is king so I'll find a better one to play game looked great, loved so many aspects about it but could not get into due to the issues shame of a new pin to be wasted like this. Played Houdini and was amazed, that game is next for me was shocked at what a hit it was from the first plunge.

Where did you play the Oktoberfest that was not setup correctly?

#3146 4 years ago
Quoted from arcadem:

I have had the same VUK problem and I have tried to remedy it via adjusting the coil strength; limited success with a failure rate at about 20%. I contacted AP support but no response yet. I sent a PM to Josh thinking maybe it needs a code solution like the lower right flipper but he also has not responded yet. I don't like the idea of bending the wire form for fear of messing it up. Hopefully someone at AP will provide an answer. It should be a minor problem for an otherwise great game.

Call me 224.422.3191.

#3150 4 years ago

If anyone has a problem call or text me. 224.422.3191.

If your game isn't setup right it will not play well, and you will not have fun.

Let me make Oktoberfest fun for you..

And if you play one of our games on location and it isn't playing right.. Tell them to call me too. A good playing game will earn more

#3156 4 years ago
Quoted from coz6:

Rec Bar - they responded ASAP to my issues that I sent in and said they got a code update that resolved the problems that I and others were experiencing. I will be back soon

Thanks for the update.

#3175 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

But can you clear the current period earnings audits on Oktoberfest? Because you still can't on Houdini.

Yes, yes you can.

Josh is working hard on fixing Houdini's audits.

#3177 4 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

I had the distinct pleasure of helping viggin900 unbox and setup his game yesterday and man was that fun! The game was perfectly packaged just like my Houdini was and we really only found one small issue while setting it up; one of the small black screws for the Beer Barrel ramp was not screwed all the way down - quick fix with a few turns of a screwdriver. Other than that it plays very, very well (not a single ball came off the wireform after the VUK kick, all ramps very make-able though 180 can still reject) and we were both really impressed with the code updates since we last saw it back in March. I don't know how many games I played but my general pinball slump was continuing and I couldn't break 1 Million until I suddenly had a monster game and put up over 10.4M! I had almost all the Tents lit, had two Roller Coaster and one B.B. MB and then got to what I think was a mini-wizard mode called duck race (I think). I was so shocked that I was having such a good game my memory fails me on what was going on but shots were alternating from Blue to Red, I'm sure this is covered in a post from ferret somewhere and I'll go find it in case I ever get there again. What a fun game!
One question we did have is about use of the shaker, it was set to heavy utilization and medium intensity and I think I only felt it go off about three times. Is that normal? It works in test (although just very briefly).

In test mode the coils are weaker by design, just want to show you that if fact they are working.

I believe the software guys will be adding more shaker in the game.

#3188 4 years ago

Do not set your Oktoberfest up like this owner.

There is no way that you will make any shots consistently on Oktoberfest with the incline jacked up, there just isn't enough power in the flippers.

Please keep the leg levelers in the same position as you receive them (levelers all the way in). Otherwise your game will be one brick after another.

If you find a game on location and it isn't playing like it should, check the levelers on the legs, if they look like these, tell the location to screw in those levelers!!

Call me if you need more info, 224.422.3191

IMG_20190628_113409383 (resized).jpgIMG_20190628_113409383 (resized).jpg
2 weeks later
#3255 4 years ago
Quoted from konjurer:

I just heard on Kaneda's podcast that Oktoberfest was on sale at 10% off on July 4th. Why am I just hearing about this? You would think that Houdini owners would have gotten an email with that promotional offer.

Make sure you register your game... this is the only way we grab your email address.

1 week later
#3347 4 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

Below is the info for that section of the manual. Barry is working on the update to the manual.
While we have not done a tutorial, there are a couple of steams where rules and strategy are discussed. Of course, as I have said, my strategies keep evolving.
This was at SFGE, and features the latest code. I am on part for part of the stream talking about various aspects of game play. The guy playing when I joined had a great game . . .

This was a stream on the Flip 'n Out channel where we play and talk Oktoberfest . . .

Here is the rules section from the manual.
[quoted image]

The manual is done, except for some last minute adds and such. Download it....https://www.american-pinball.com/support/

#3348 4 years ago
Quoted from Aniraf:

Different topic, while I was at the bar patching the game, I looked for where that tantalum capacitor came from. I cannot find it! Every one of the node boards looks completely populated with the exception of one spot (circled) which I think is supposed to be like that. Does anyone see something I am missing? Pictures of these boards are hard, sorry.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

That is supposed to be empty.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#3349 4 years ago
Quoted from Paul_from_Gilroy:

I don’t have access to my machine at the moment, but comparing your photos to the images on Multimorphic’s web site, it looks like this might be the spot...
[quoted image][quoted image]

Also, supposed to be empty.

1 month later
#3467 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I'm only back to take care of my game issues etc.
My game is DOA. Zero coil firing and Switch testing is not possible either.
Just trying to get a response from somebody for some help on my game.
I reached out to Barry E., he reached out to me and then AWOL after calls and emails.
I have a local guy coming to look at in 2 weeks but it would be nice to be able to play this game again.
Any ideas from the gallery?

AWOL!?

[email protected]

I don't always answer my phone and voicemails over the weekend but I ALWAYS look at my emails!

1 week later
#3600 4 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Thx ltg... it seemed obvious there should be a spring... but I could not see one in the diagram in the assembly manual... and nothing was found in the game. Now to look and see if the tab on the drop actually broke

There should be a spring on the drop target. also check to see if there is some binding, ie. something is bent or not aligned.

1 month later
#3965 4 years ago
Quoted from knockerlover:

Do you operate games? Do you know what an extra 2-3 days of downtime means in terms of earnings? On a 7500 game, every dollar counts. Downtime on location also diminishes clients and location owners perceptions.
Of course I work through a distro. It takes a few days longer and my time to go through a distributor, file a ticket, talk to a support person to determine if it can be fixed and do their own troubleshooting..where I have to drive to the location 40 minutes away when they are available.. Then they send a part, RMA that I sometimes have to send back at my expense. It’s easily 3-4x more of MY time that I NEED to spend elsewhere.
I’d rather just CC order a $10 part, vs deal with all that. But with AP I don’t have that option. Using things like these membrane switches and having AP part numbers on everything is a pain in the ass and unnecessary. I get it for legitimate game specific parts (light boards, whatever), but these switches are an application where a standard set of switches would be fine. The fact that they have both failed so quickly doesn’t give me confidence that this is a reliable part.

The switch is available on the website. https://store.american-pinball.com/products/membrane-switch

If you want to go through warranty it does take longer than to purchase directly.
Here at American Pinball, you always have the option to buy the part outright, then you can stock the warranty replacement part.

#3966 4 years ago
Quoted from knockerlover:

Do you operate games? Do you know what an extra 2-3 days of downtime means in terms of earnings? On a 7500 game, every dollar counts. Downtime on location also diminishes clients and location owners perceptions.
Of course I work through a distro. It takes a few days longer and my time to go through a distributor, file a ticket, talk to a support person to determine if it can be fixed and do their own troubleshooting..where I have to drive to the location 40 minutes away when they are available.. Then they send a part, RMA that I sometimes have to send back at my expense. It’s easily 3-4x more of MY time that I NEED to spend elsewhere.
I’d rather just CC order a $10 part, vs deal with all that. But with AP I don’t have that option. Using things like these membrane switches and having AP part numbers on everything is a pain in the ass and unnecessary. I get it for legitimate game specific parts (light boards, whatever), but these switches are an application where a standard set of switches would be fine. The fact that they have both failed so quickly doesn’t give me confidence that this is a reliable part.</block

The switches were ordered on 10/29/2019

The switches were delivered on 10/31/2019

Tracking Number 9405503699300149840269

You can always buy the part on line and then stock the replacement part.

https://store.american-pinball.com/products/membrane-switch

#3972 4 years ago
Quoted from PinBackpacker:

You're missing two key points in your timeline:
Ticket opened with AP 10/23/19
You e-mailed us asking us to register the game (which we promptly did) 10/28/19
So from the time the ticket was opened until we received the switches was 8 days, meaning the game was down 9-10 days. While I understand the need to confirm the game was registered, the serial # of the game was submitted with the original ticket which I'm sure can be traced back to the distributor and owner since we had been sent a part for another issue in the past. I'm happy to see access to parts are available to be ordered online and we'll be preemptively doing so.
At the end of the day we share a common goal of seeing AP games working well and earning "in the wild".

We are working on making the process the best it can be. (email updates and real time tracking info coming soon)

All we ask for warranty replacement parts is that the game is registered. We have included a QR code on the main info sheet under the glass to make the registration process easy for you.

3 months later
#4245 4 years ago
Quoted from Aniraf:

Cool! I have been working with Barry on an issue with my bar and he keeps going dark. I am sure he is busy, but my players are starting to skip Oktoberfest because it is consistently messed up . Is there any way to get a new bar ordered?

Sorry.

Did you open up a Service Ticket?
https://www.american-pinball.com/support/service/

Service Tickets are the only way to get warranty replacement parts.

Also there was a change over to a new shipping/postage platform, this has caused abnormally long pre-shipment times.

#4246 4 years ago

I have been very busy of late, sorry if anything fell through the cracks.

There is a new coil stop that was shipped to all our distributors in North America (South America and overseas will ship soon, if not shipped already) for Oktoberfest. This coil stop is slightly longer than the standard coil stop. This longer coil stop changes the geometry of the Beer Barrel Ramp shot, testing indicates that with this coil stop installed, it is 30ish% easier to hit the BBR. (your results may very)

Also a spacer set was included for the lock down bar. As some people have noticed that there is a larger gap on the right side of the lock down bar after you lock it down. This is because of the switch to metric sized wood. The new wood size has a smaller thickness than the old standard wood. The interior dimension of the pinball needs to remain constant to accommodate the playfield, so the outside dimension grew smaller and making the lock down bar seem bigger. (the actual size of the lock down bar has not changed) With the spacers installed the lock down bar will sit with an even gap on both sides, making it look like it once again fits the machine.

Spacers for Houdini will ship at a later time.

Regards,
Barry

In case you did not receive the instructions with your kit.

http://s4.american-pinball.com/img/support/2020-2/Coil-Stop-BBR.pdf

http://s4.american-pinball.com/img/support/2020-2/Lock-Down-Spacer.pdf

#4249 4 years ago
Quoted from t500:

Some more follow-up on the coil stop, I just got done installing it and what a difference. Still not an easy shot but it is definitely a improvement. It makes for a much better game, I can consistently get the BB MB now where before was few and far between.
Here are some before and after pictures of the install.
Barry, thanks for the help!
-todd[quoted image][quoted image]

Glad it worked out for you.

Hit me up when you need help on that other game.

#4259 4 years ago
Quoted from PokerJake:

I would love this fix but my distributor isn't responding to a request for it. I tried to contact AP directly but said I had to go through my distributor. Seems odd you can't get it directly from AP, so now I'm out of luck I guess.

We have you go through the distributor because we do not have an accurate data base of who bought what, distributors do not share with us. So how are we supposed to send something to you if we do not know you bought the game?

Pleas email me the distributors name and I will look into it. [email protected]

I will send you one directly if I cannot sort this out.

#4262 4 years ago
Quoted from JohnnyPinball007:

I thought that was why we registered our games with AP?
I may have to contact you also, Jason at Classicgamerooms did not know what I was talking about.

Registration is a very small number.. very small.

People.. Register your games!!

Otherwise you do not exist to us.

3 weeks later
#4315 4 years ago
Quoted from Viggin900:

I got this coil stop from T3quila because its been 4 weeks from Great american pinball. I don't think this is right,the holes are spaced further from the bend and I can't get the screw holes to line up? Anyone else have this before I call AP line?[quoted image]

That's not the right coil stop.

Call GAP and have them send it to you, otherwise call Shalin over at American, he was taking over my position for the time being.

1 month later
#4362 3 years ago
Quoted from Vegas9:

05/01/2020
Press Release: American Pinball Hires Dave Brennan as Technical Services Manager
American Pinball is pleased to announce the hiring of Dave Brennan as Technical Services Manager. With over 7 years troubleshooting, fixing and restoring pinball machines of all eras, Dave brings his wealth of experience to ensure that all customer and distributor needs will be met when it comes to hands-on technical support and guidance.
One of Dave's immediate initiatives is to generate an ongoing series of instructional videos covering topics such as new game set-up, how to update code, maintenance tips and more. "I’m really looking forward to starting conversations with American Pinball owners and distributors to determine how I can best serve the pinball community," Dave offers. "I am extremely excited about this opportunity with American Pinball."
Dave’s passion for pinball repair and restoration, in addition to his skill set, will make him an asset to the American Pinball team and our customers. Dave has repaired over 100 games and fully restored over 25 pinball machines in the past several years in addition to assisting many collectors with troubleshooting technical issues with their games at home.
One of Dave's most recent and notable projects is livestreaming his progress in real time as he repairs and restores a Gottlieb Alien Star on Twitch and Facebook, while interacting with his viewers on his Twitch channel Twitch.tv/Turbografx7 and Turbografx7 Facebook Group as an affiliate of The Pinball Network. You can also find Dave on Pinside.com as brenna98
We welcome him to American Pinball.
Contact info:
Dave Brennan
Technical Services Manager
[email protected]
Phone: (833) API-HELP / (833) 274-4357

Congratulations API on this great hire.

I am sure he will fit right in and continue the great service API is known for.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Queen Creek, AZ
$ 140.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 7,795.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

8,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dixon, CA
$ 7,899.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 129.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 11.99
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

$ 39.99
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

$ 7,795.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 8,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

Playfield - Other
RavSpec

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider barryj.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/joe-balcer-confirms-oktoberfest-as-american-pinbals-next-pin?tu=barryj and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.