(Topic ID: 224963)

Joe Balcer confirms Oktoberfest as American Pinball's next pin.

By PismoArcade

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 4,992 posts
  • 466 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Ferret
  • Topic is favorited by 79 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

8880f5e6998fb0663ff4a9a77f40c92eb6c125f2 (resized).png
okt (resized).jpg
59547925-ED73-4D13-9C0B-C0B4DB7F1F2C (resized).jpeg
20210418_173000 (resized).jpg
IMG_8199 (resized).jpg
20211127_232248 (resized).jpg
BLKFRIDAY2021 (1) (resized).png
16341706819071145026220657450351 (resized).jpg
AAAABWnlUYQGnwPYrDFi3t2ZJg8xDmhdqB2hGmDLTPnpLg4SjPq15X8P8IAl66bSXZXeQjCVgv9i_WrsIbMEvcUa9pH863X- (resized).jpg
20211006_190939 (resized).jpg
47cc5c7a51600f42dccc5022b9550eca8025c861 (resized).jpg
IMG_7361 (resized).jpg
IMG_7362 (resized).jpg
Okt upgraded coil stop - blue = new (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
20210620_160449 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #928 Oktoberfest initial release pics and rule card pic Posted by PinballSTAR (5 years ago)

Post #1686 Updated (final?) Oktoberfest cabinet art Posted by HOOKED (5 years ago)

Post #1954 Link to 3/1/19 streaming video Posted by chuckwurt (5 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Paul_from_Gilroy.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2393 5 years ago

Oktoberfest was my favorite game at TPF. I sure hope they fix this screen (copied from the previous post). It came up frequently (mode start, I think). It's one of the ugliest things I've ever seen in pinball (and I've seen a lot).

Image1.jpgImage1.jpg
#2448 5 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

This aspect, and this alone, to me, separates American Pinball from being on a toe to toe level with JJP.

Disagree. I owned a JJP game with a 26 inch display and beautiful looking animations and video... that the player usually doesn’t see because they are looking at the ball. The content on that huge screen was very busy. Quadrants of info, serif fonts, everything in motion, spread across a 26 inch screen. Basically, in my opinion, the eye candy on their screen failed because it was too busy and not well coordinated with stop and go on the playfield. Very frustrating. Their games have a long time-to-market and high price. In contrast, I thought Houdini was the best use of an LCD screen in a pinball game since Lebowski. Fun, colorful animations, large, crisp fonts, easy to parse information. Loved the black on white non serif fonts used as scoring digits. It looked really sharp. I wouldn’t mind at all if some display content in Oktoberfest adopted the best attributes of Houdini’s display content.

#2489 5 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

There's no depth to any of this art, that's why it looks flat.
Here's a simple mockup. The beer is closer to the camera, which makes it look more inviting. Like "Here, have a beer!" not "I'm holding this beer against my nipple!"
Give it a slight tilt. Shade around the beer to show it's clearly in front of the subject. I also adjusted the arm so it looks more like the forearm is pointing forward (like the photo of the woman above) which then makes the angle of the fist make sense.
[quoted image]

I guess that makes sense on paper but somehow I don't think making the beer stein more prominent makes the artwork more fun to look at. Wait, is that a stein? Or is it a sippy cup? The beer doesn't spill when you tilt the thing! I want one!

#2490 5 years ago

I love the Otto artwork in Oktoberfest. The new Inga is fine, although I didn't necessarily see anything wrong with the old Inga. The old Inga (which was characterized as "Mad Magazine style") was more goofy looking. Actually, I thought that was kinda fun. Reminiscent of the style of some of Youssi's characters from the 90's, like in the White Water, for example, where some of the characters look goofier than others.

#2560 5 years ago

What's the story on the characters that once sat in the bumper cars (Duckie, Hot Dog, Monkey)? Cost cutting, or is it that they wouldn't fit under the wireform, or something else? They were super cool, way better than empty bumper cars.

#2563 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

They wouldnt fit under the wireformed ramp.

I see a mod opportunity

1 week later
#2696 5 years ago

According to some of the logic here, the classic arcade game Tapper should have been an epic failure (except in bars). I mean how could they possibly succeed? Besides Budweiser beer (and later on, root beer), they had aliens, cowboys and punk rocker characters.

1 week later
#2795 4 years ago

Quick shout out to American Pinball for putting the power switch in the right place under the cabinet where it belongs!!!

#2796 4 years ago

Seriously, I owned Ghostbusters for a couple years. If I had a nickel for every time I reached under the cabinet looking for a power switch that wasn’t there...

#2801 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Read through all the threads. They were removed. One or more interfered with the balls going by.
LTG : )

Anyone notice that Otto is still looking for them?

#2828 4 years ago
Quoted from mthirkell:

Thanks for responding. 1. Somewhere on the way to the barrel; I can't remember exactly where. It's just not a high percentage shot at this point so it was very frustrating for it not get to the barrel once I made it up the ramp. Sorry I don't have more info. I'll be playing again soon and will pay attention if it happens again.

Regarding the barrel ramp, I found that adjusting the UR Flipper coil strength can transform that frustrating shot into a smooth and satisfying shot. The shot is challenging, as it should be. If the game is set up right, and you make the shot cleanly, the ball should go to the barrel. The shot reminds me of the warp ramp in Star Trek Next Gen, but more fun I think, because of Mag Nab. I love the start sequence of both Beer Barrel Multiball and Corkscrew multiball, but I'm not going to describe any of that here (no spoilers)

#2829 4 years ago
Quoted from mthirkell:

It's just not a high percentage shot at this point so it was very frustrating for it not get to the barrel

In my game, adjusting the upper right flipper strength helped tremendously. Every game is different, I think, but in my game the magic number for upper right flipper strength is 30. I agree with you, it's a tough shot, and when you do make the shot, it should be a "feel good" shot. I can't get over how cool Magnab is. It activates two magnets simultaneously (the TAP lanes and the UR Flipper). Thus you can nab the ball and drop it in the TAP lanes, or you can nab the ball and shoot the Barrel Ramp.

1 week later
#2854 4 years ago
Quoted from GrandFireball1:

Had a crazy game on this! Unfortunately the game reset on the last ball after I shot it into the scoop, but still had a ton of fun.
[quoted image]

Heck of a score and points per second, holy smokes!

#2868 4 years ago
Quoted from Ferret:

Yep, already there, although not currently well celebrated when you get them. Yes, left orbit -> side ramp, left orbit -> captive ball, and left orbit -> bar are all combos, because who doesn't love orbit -> upper flipper combos? As I mentioned above, I consider bankshotting PROST into the bar to be a combo. Right ramp -> right orbit -> (auto-magnab) -> ramp is kind of a combo, though I need to enhance that one.

Regarding combos, one of my favorite "feel good" shots is a left orbit followed by UR flipper into the tent hole to start a mode. The "side entrance" so to speak. Have you guys thought about making it a formal combo or adding some fanfare when it happens?

#2869 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

...I trust this programming team to deliver a really full and well thought out experience.
You can’t say that about some of the competition. Just saying. Get your money’s worth when it comes to code, there’s no excuse at these prices not to.

+1 on that. I've played OKF about 60 times. When I first saw the game at TPF I was drawn in by the theme, the bright colors, the toys, the humor... and the fact that I liked Houdini. What I didn't realize is what a great job API did on the rules and flow in this game. To say the game is "fun" might be an understatement.

#2870 4 years ago
Quoted from Paul_from_Gilroy:

Regarding combos, one of my favorite "feel good" shots is a left orbit followed by UR flipper into the tent hole to start a mode. The "side entrance" so to speak. Have you guys thought about making it a formal combo or adding some fanfare when it happens?

1 week later
#2910 4 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

- the flip up ramp on the right is very tight. This shot doesn't need to be so tight either (see Alien) and I was hoping for something similar but not so much. Love that it's there though but it's just not a fun shot.

I wonder if the game you’re playing has the updated 180 ramp. It helps a lot. Tight shot, but pretty satisfying when you hit it.

#2911 4 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

- Not enough use of that crazy corkscrew shot. I wanted to see more of it.

It’s a real treat. I don’t think I’d want it to be easier and more frequent (that might spoil it).

#2912 4 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

- Modes: I like the variety but the way the game is setup with the tents, stopping the action, it just kills the flow. Less is more here and the awful cut scene (that I know is temp but it's so bad, it shouldn't be there now) really doesn't help. This is where the art really hurts the game b/c I'm forced to watch these cut scenes and it really reminds you of the poor quality while playing the actual game reminds you of great quality. It's odd.

I’ve played over 100 times. I think the amount of stop and go is great. It gives you a chance to look at the screen (and your inserts) when you need to. Unlike some games that display great video and don’t give the player enough time to look at it, which can be infuriating.

#2950 4 years ago

What is Inga saying when you start Rockin’ Express? Sounds like “I’m on the music”.

#2955 4 years ago

Random question: The frosted dome LED above the TAP lanes... it turns yellow, green, or flashing red and I understand all that. Why does it turn white at the end of your turn?

#2958 4 years ago
Quoted from thedarkknight77:

It appears that Oktoberfest is really turning the corner!!! Congrats to Joe and the entire AP team! Build those games fast boys, there is currently no competition for this game!

Agreed. I'm lucky enough to have acquired some "A-List" games over the years. This is my first AP game. Really delighted with it so far. Fun and challenging enough to keep you coming back again and again. Code updates are making it better and better. The AP team is very responsive and apparently crazy enough to listen to Pinsiders. It means a lot to me when a company is interested in feedback from people who use their product (pinball machines are no exception). Call me a fanboy but the fun, the humor, the variety, the toys, the rules, the flow... this thing feels like a Top 10 game to me.

#2970 4 years ago

I ordered the shaker and knocker for OKF. Apparently the knocker is mounted in the bottom cabinet, near the front cross-member and it's utilized in the game (Target Shooting, Duck Hunt). So cool. Reminds me of the knocker in TAF.

#2977 4 years ago
Quoted from artymech2131:

Any chance I can get a beta code to try? Thinking mine might be off just a little... What and awesome game though..[quoted image]

My high score is in the 4 million range. I need only 21 billion, 880 million to catch you

#3011 4 years ago
Quoted from bemmett:

Anyone else with the game having problem with the "Food" standup target with the VUK up top? Mine won't stay up, constantly firing and dropping. I looked at the mech and nothing stands out as an issue although the ledge thing that holds it up seems really small. Tried adjusting coil power, loosened the spring, nothing helped.

Yes, mine "bounced" a lot (took a few tries to stay up). Adjusting coil power did the trick for me.

#3012 4 years ago

Yes, mine "bounced" a lot (took a few tries to stay up). Adjusting coil power did the trick for me.

Specifically, in my game, Drop Target = 20 (default was 16).

#3013 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Having issue with code update.
Game won't update per instructions. FAT32 drive with plenty of storage.
Is there an alternative on the backbox?

I'm using a SanDisk 16GB Ultra Fit USB 3.1 thumb drive. Works great, about 7 bucks on Amazon. I'm pretty sure the USB extension port in Oktoberfest is USB 2.0 (so no speed benefit there), but it's a good choice if your home computer has a USB 3.0 port.

#3022 4 years ago

I'm seeing instances where the magnet dome LEDs are yellow, but the Magnab button does nothing (when I think it should activate and grab the ball). Happens frequently and impacts gameplay. Checked the Magnab button in Switch Test (works perfectly). I'm running the latest code. Typical scenario is this: I have one magnab left, the frosted domes are yellow, I make a shot from the left flipper (without going through an inlane first), through the spinner, and the Magnab button is totally unresponsive. Not always though. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Anyone else notice this?

#3065 4 years ago
Quoted from Ferret:

I'm not averse to having such a ball saver. I didn't realize this was such a common problem. On my game it happens like 1% of the time, basically in the "that's pinball" category.
Thanks for the videos, @aniraf ... but ermigerd, the backboard illumination PWM in the slow-mo video, ouch...

Has never happened in my game (after almost 200 plays). Playfield pitch around 6 degrees.

#3072 4 years ago
Quoted from kidchrisso:

Anybody know if there is a code issue with Loopers mode. I am not getting any registers on the corkscrew ramp when I hit the shot. I put the game into test mode and it is registering the optos. I did just update the code to the latest.
Another question, should the switch test menu have green and tan highlights going or all tan? Trying to figure out how to read this screen. I have a few green ones highlighted.
Thanks!

No problems with Looper here. When you make the shot, the ball should stop at the Corkscrew lock... then it (or a ball ahead of it) is released and you hear people scream. How about your Coaster Lock switches? Are those OK in Switch test?

#3076 4 years ago
Quoted from Gilboys:

Yes, are having issues with the magnab. No matter the amount of nabs showing or the color of the LED, the button is very inconsistent. I hit the button over and over then eventually the nab activates but the ball is somewhere else on the field. The auto nab usually works all the time, either from left flipper or through the bumpers. Makes the beer keg an easier shot.

I think I've narrowed it down a little. It seems that if the dome LEDs are yellow and the spinner is spinning, the magnab button is unresponsive. Once the spinner stops spinning, the button works. Perhaps it's a bug.

I think autograb is really cool when I know it's going to happen, like when you roll over an inlane switch and a dome LED starts flashing green. I don't like autograb at all when it happens without warning (i.e. when the dome LEDs are off or yellow). Because of that behavior, you can't trust the visual cues that the dome LEDs provide. What's worse is when a surprise autograb spoils what you're trying to do. And, of course, too many autograbs makes your earned magnabs less precious.

#3092 4 years ago
Quoted from kidchrisso:

...on the back panel multipliers, it is very hard to see what you have lit with the strip light right above it.

Agreed. I partially covered that LED strip in my game (so that the Corkscrew queue is still well lit but the Playfield X inserts aren’t washed out).

#3118 4 years ago

When setting up the knocker, you have to go to a couple different places in the settings. My settings (in a home environment) are as follows and I am totally delighted:

Knocker = Mechanical

Mechanical Knocker on Bumper Cars = Off
Mechanical Knocker on Shooting Modes = Soft

Here's what I wrote about the knocker in my Pinside Ratings comments:

- The use of the knocker is brilliant. It's an add-on kit, but well worth it. It goes in the bottom cabinet, near the cross bar. The "pop" when shooting targets in Target Shooting mode (or Ducks in Duck Hunting mode) is great. I haven't seen a knocker used this well since Addams Family...

#3125 4 years ago

I've managed to reach Duck Derby a few times. When it starts, it says something about shooting green shots and avoiding red shots. Problem is, it always starts with all shots on the playfield lit up red. Is that normal? It happened today, and instead of shooting a red shot, I cradled two balls in the right flipper. With two balls cradled, each time I hit the left flipper button, I scored 2000 points, and I could do that forever.

#3164 4 years ago
Quoted from Ferret:

I've managed to reach Duck Derby a few times. When it starts, it says something about shooting green shots and avoiding red shots. Problem is, it always starts with all shots on the playfield lit up red. Is that normal? It happened today, and instead of shooting a red shot, I cradled two balls in the right flipper. With two balls cradled, each time I hit the left flipper button, I scored 2000 points, and I could do that forever.

More

Nope, those aren't normal behaviors. Based on the combination of symptoms you describe, I'd be suspicious that one of your duck targets is gapped too tightly, such that random coil kicks are causing it to trigger. Try going into Tests > Switches and then gently thump the playfield with your fist, and see if any of the duck targets activate when you do that. If so, widen the gap on that switch a bit and hopefully both of these problems disappear.

Good call. It finally happened again. I immediately went into Switch Test and sure enough, the Right Duck target was stuck closed. Just needed a gap adjustment. Both times it happened, there was, um... a lot of quacking.

#3173 4 years ago
Quoted from Aniraf:

I had a weird thing happen on the last chance mode where it gives you three shots to hit the tent scoop. Basically I entered the mode and then it auto fired all three balls. I never got a chance to pull the plunger at all . I’m not sure how to reproduce it.

That happened in my game too a couple weeks ago. It was a two player game. Not sure how to reproduce it. Most of the time Last Chance mode works fine. So far, I’ve never managed to successfully plunge a ball into the tent scoop.

3 weeks later
#3246 4 years ago
Quoted from dannunz:

The center of the play field is dark on Octoberfest. On my Houdini the two spot lights facing the middle really help. Any ideas or mods out there to fix it other than getting pinstadium kit?
Also why is there not a stein to make getting the ramp down easier? I'm a decent player and have not been able to lock 3 balls up top of the coaster yet. Or at least a setting to make it easier to drop the ramp to lock balls.

Thinking outside the box here, would covering up part of the LED strip above the TAP Lanes make the center of the playfield seem less dark? Just a thought. In my game I felt that the LED strip back there was so bright it washed out the TAP lane inserts as well as the Playfield X inserts really bad. So I covered parts of the LED strip (so just the Corkscrew Queue is highlighted). Very happy with the lighting now, except I think I'd like a spotlight on the bartender whenever he's active.

Regarding the difficulty of lowering the Corkscrew Ramp, as others have said, shoot the OKTOBER FEST target banks. Make sure those switches are properly adjusted, and aim for them if you want the ramp to come down. Feels about right to me.

#3297 4 years ago
Quoted from Ferret:

Definitely appreciate any and all customer feedback. At the least, maybe we can add some more callouts guiding the player to shoot the ramp, especially after a MagNab when they have a moment to think about it.

Maybe, although Otto already informed me that it's ready and the insert is telling me it's ready. A higher priority for me would be a callout when you successfully clobber the high striker after Inga says "Eins... Zwei... Drei... Strike!". It seems odd to me that she makes a big deal out of shooting for the striker... but doesn't say squat when you make the difficult shot.

#3299 4 years ago
Quoted from Aniraf:

First, why are there three distinct posts on Oktoberfest? Can we all just agree this one is the “club” since it has the most history?
Second, I found a new place for the ball to get stuck tonight. I am actually completely surprised my this one, but it needed the glass lifted for sure![quoted image]

I've had a ball get stuck there 3 or 4 times out of hundreds of games. Ball Search jiggled it free every time. A weird thing in my game right now is that the ball sometimes gets stuck on the spinner. That's right, the spinner! Once in a while, if the spinner is not quite stopped when the magnet releases the ball, the ball slowly leaves the magnet just as the spinner comes around and the ball gets wedged-in. It never happened at all until I adjusted my spinner switch to ensure the spinner spins freely.

#3328 4 years ago

Love the new code update. Callouts, music, graphics... neat stuff! Magnab/Autograb is great, working like it should. Good job AP!

#3336 4 years ago
Quoted from Aniraf:

Different topic, while I was at the bar patching the game, I looked for where that tantalum capacitor came from. I cannot find it! Every one of the node boards looks completely populated with the exception of one spot (circled) which I think is supposed to be like that. Does anyone see something I am missing? Pictures of these boards are hard, sorry.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I don’t have access to my machine at the moment, but comparing your photos to the images on Multimorphic’s web site, it looks like this might be the spot...
5F94B91E-6F14-4C11-80FC-42F3A66E1967 (resized).jpeg5F94B91E-6F14-4C11-80FC-42F3A66E1967 (resized).jpeg

735BF1FE-E5B2-4AAD-9126-14D07E093F0F (resized).png735BF1FE-E5B2-4AAD-9126-14D07E093F0F (resized).png
#3338 4 years ago
Quoted from Aniraf:

If you look at pictures 1 vs 2, they both have 3 of those capacitors in the same spaces and omit the one you circled. I was comparing those because they looked to be the same board, but perhaps you are correct and I am actually missing 2 of them?
I emailed Barry at AP but haven’t gotten a response yet.

Just peeked in my game. That cap is omitted in my game too. In your photos, there’s a board that has 5 caps. My game has three of those boards (I only see two in your photos). So make sure you checked all three of those boards.

#3352 4 years ago
Quoted from Ferret:

Ugh. Murphy's Law, I guess. Sorry about that. Any chance you grabbed a log?

I’ve had two game resets so far on 19.7.27. I sent the logs to Rosh yesterday.

4 weeks later
#3427 4 years ago

Looking forward to the another code drop! I'm hoping for some kind of callout or fanfare if you successfully clobber the high striker while "Super Striker" (Eins... Zwei... Drei... Strike) is qualified. Right now it plays something like this... the player is challenged to make the shot... and manages to make the difficult shot... and the game quietly adds a few points.

1 week later
#3474 4 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

The tool for the head does the legs -- so everything you need to set up the game is in the box. I also think they look nicer. You can change them out, threads are same as traditional leg bolts. You can also get an bit you can use in a drill.

The allen-head bolts are clever. Stern moving the power on/off switch away from the standard location... that's an annoyance.

#3513 4 years ago
Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

This is alarming for me. I have this pin on order and I had no idea that playing it can drone on for 45+ min. That's possibly even longer than Lord of the Rings. Marathon pins are bad for multi-player, bad for league, bad for route, and generally not my style. If the average game on this pin is truly 20-30+ minutes I may need to walk away.
Do you guys have any thoughts on this?

My game (default settings, except I have it set for 5-ball): after 417 games played, average game time is 8:24, average ball time is 1:52. I'm an "average" player (middle of the pack in tournaments). You guys are gonna love this pin.

2 weeks later
#3641 4 years ago
Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

Does the newton ball behind the barrel ramp score points or trigger anything?

It's definitely one way to earn a Magnab According to AP, an upcoming code update adds audio/video/lighting/choreography associated with the captive ball.

1 week later
#3759 4 years ago

Rule-wise, what shots do you have to make to qualify the re-entry mode (with default settings)? I took the glass off and hit the right outlane standup a few times, but that doesn't do it...

2 weeks later
#3855 4 years ago
Quoted from Ferret:

Certainly possible. Don’t think we’ve previously had a request for that. Flippers should not be any louder than any other three flipper game, though.

Regarding the flippers flipping when selecting a stein (or tent), I noticed it immediately when I first got the game. It's a "nit" for sure, but the way I see it, polishing little things like that adds to the perception of a top-notch, high-quality product.

Regarding the loudness of the flippers, I've noticed it (and gotten comments about it from at least one pinball friend). It's another nit. The responsiveness and strength of the flippers in Oktoberfest is fantastic, so I'd be hesitant to change anything here. In terms of loudness though, I wonder if the flipper supplier uses well-matched components, including the correct coil stop bracket... or if that would even make a difference.

1 week later
#3916 4 years ago

Got any favorite, unusual shots in Oktoberfest? I have three so far which I've given arbitrary names:

1) Easiest (depending on how your game is set up): The "side entrance". When Enter Tent is lit, make a left orbit shot around to the UR flipper (with right flipper button held down) and watch the ball go into the tent hole. I use it frequently.
2) Difficult: The "jaw dropper". Make the Corkscrew ramp from the left flipper. It's possible but the ball has to approach the left flipper with momentum in order for this to work.
3) Crazy difficult: The "home run". Using the UR flipper, hit a ball up the Beer Barrel ramp that doesn't make it, see it come back down fast and hit it again (all the way up the ramp to the Beer Barrel). It's like hitting a fast ball for a home run.

2 weeks later
#3952 4 years ago
Quoted from knockerlover:

The coaster lock coil release coil stopped working, magic smoke...

Interesting. I had a problem when I first got my game where I had balls in the Corkscrew cue at the end of a game and the software tried to release them as usual. For whatever reason, the Corkscrew Release coil didn't have enough strength to release the balls. When that happened, with balls stuck in the cue, the software kept trying to release them. The release coil sat there making a buzzing sound, trying to move its armature, getting hotter and hotter. I wondered whether or not the software would have ever stopped energizing that coil had I not powered down quickly. The coil survived, I adjusted the mechanism so balls always release as they should, and it hasn't happened since.

#3955 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballslave:

How exactly did you adjust the mechanism to fix this? Would be good to see pics with a description of what you did... mine hasn't done this yet, but I'd like to take preventative measures, as I'm guessing others might...

I don’t know of any “preventative measures” here. If it starts acting-up, ask API what do. If it works fine, I’d say don’t mess with it! To answer your question, when my game wasn’t releasing balls from the queue, I bent the metal tab that stops the armature (because the magnet didn’t have enough strength to grab the armature when the gap was large).

1 week later
#3990 4 years ago
Quoted from JohnnyPinball007:

Please never do what the other companies are doing with all the pro, LE, prem, and whatever else. Just keep on turning out one awesome packed game a year with no other models and all that bs.

Kinda agree about pro/premium/LE etc. Perhaps it’s a tactic pinball companies use to maximize profits (while making feature-limited machines more affordable for operators and home users). I played at an arcade recently that had a bunch of new Sterns... but every single one of them was a Pro. Kind of a disappointment.

I’m hoping the next API game is as much fun as Oktoberfest, bright and colorful like Oktoberfest, no more expensive than Oktoberfest, and maybe boots up faster

#3991 4 years ago
Quoted from JohnnyPinball007:

as an operator I am going to throw out a vote for a scoring revision that brings the game into the hundreds of millions and billions that people seem to expect.</blockquote
That is too funny, and sadly real these days. Mostly from people that do not get pinball.
I can see it now, I hate this game, I scored 5 bil over here on this game, and only 200k on this game, this game must suck and not see how awesome I am. Some people these days are just so entitled or something. But at least they are playing, and maybe someday they will get it. Every game scores differently.

I think, in some games, big honkin’ scores in the billions are part of the fun (for example, AFM). Maybe even part of the wow factor. In some low scoring games where the score increases by tiny increments leading to a low total score (for example, WOZ)... I never felt that scoring model added (or subtracted) anything in terms of fun

1 week later
#4029 4 years ago
Quoted from rcb5588:

Does anyone else have an issue when they hit the beer barrel ramp on the fly (when the ball is flying around the orbit), so perfectly that the ball has enough speed, gets to the top of the yellow ramp, and then flys out of the ramp?

Never happens in my game. However, I have seen the opposite, a rare “gift” where an air ball lands on the habitrail and slowly rolls into the barrel

#4058 4 years ago

Having played Oktoberfest hundreds of times (and still haven't gotten tired of it), I'm in the camp that thinks its number of multi-ball modes and the challenge level of starting them is just right. I might even say "brilliant". It's up there with my favorite pinball games of all time, games like TZ, CFTBL, IJ, AFM, etc. Some newer games feature a lot of easy-to-start multi-ball modes. That's fine, but I'd never buy one, not for home use (I'm not into flail-fests). In Oktoberfest, there are a couple things about multi-ball that I think are brilliant: 1) The ability to "stack" stuff (such as food stand, playfield multiplier, start a well-chosen mode...) and then start multi-ball with a well-executed ramp shot. So satisfying! 2) I love that I have a choice and I'm not forced to start Juggling mode (a multi-ball mode) every time it is presented as the initial default... and yet a newcomer can access it easily. Well done!

#4094 4 years ago

All I know is that the monkey had a history of bad behavior. He got kicked out of the bumper car area for knocking the ball of the habitrail. He got kicked out of WOZ (and turned in his wings) because he was always flying away with the ball. I hope he shows up in game #3 so I can see what he does next!

#4121 4 years ago

My feeling about the open-source-in-pinball debate is that the "sweet spot" is somewhere between totally open and totally closed. I'm pretty happy with a game like Oktoberfest. Basically, as a home user, an "enthusiast", I like a pinball game that I can "tweak" and work on myself, with a number of settings I can customize, user-updateable software, and some combination of standard pinball parts and unique parts. I wouldn't expect pinball companies to open up their games much more than that (surrendering their intellectual property and/or leaving themselves vulnerable to litigation).

There's something else I've observed about "openness" in pinball: the pinball community at large is capable of producing a ton of crap and a few nuggets of good stuff. Take Pinsound for example. I have one. It's a real marvel. You can totally replace the sound in a pinball machine. Problem is, in my opinion, aside from improved fidelity, none of the "community" generated sound mixes are nearly as good as the original music/callouts created by people like Chris Granner, David Thiel and others. Another observation has to do with virtual pinball. Visual Pinball X is amazing. However, my opinion again, community created virtual pinball tables (originals and re-creations) are nowhere near as high-quality or fun as the commercial tables from Farsight and Zen.

1 week later
#4150 4 years ago
Quoted from Viggin900:

I thought about making one but there just isnt anyway to fit something under that wireform. The cart almost touches.

Still hoping BackAlleyMatt produces a set of bumper car passengers. Not sure how such a mod would avoid interference with the habitrail, but if anyone can do it, he can.

3 weeks later
#4177 4 years ago
Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

Whuh? A beer barrel ramp shot fix in the works?!
This ramp shot is my primary gameplay concern in making a final Oktoberfest purchase decision. Just sold my TSPP and I do not desire another unfun "treehouse" ramp shot on a new game.

I doubt if you'll find the Beer Barrel ramp "unfun". In my game I find that it's both challenging and fun (more fun than the treehouse in TSPP in my opinion). I'd say clobbering the High Striker is just as challenging. The shot I find most challenging is the "re-entry" plunge into the tent scoop. I like them all. What is my least favorite shot in the game? I never, ever like the unsatisfying thud of a metal ball crashing into a metal wall in a pinball game, so for me, bashing the closed bar door is my least favorite shot, much like bashing the metal garage door in TSPP, or the metal castle doors in WOZ.

#4181 4 years ago
Quoted from T3quila:

When you replace the next time flipper rubber, instead of using super bands use a softer rubber compound - I would argue that is not really jury rigging. I understand people do stuff like that all the time to make the game play more to their liking. I needed to get replacements and ordered that and it seems to work for me.
I'm curious how software can change difficulty of a shot though, since that is a physical function of geometry in terms of angle, speed and force. The latter one you can already change with the coil strength adjustments. I had to back down coil strength by one on my upper flipper anyway, because otherwise the ball would hop off the rail on the way from the plastic to the barrel if you got a super clean shot. I found non magnet staged shots have a better chance actually - not when they are screaming around, but when they have a little bit more momentum then from the magnet hold resting spot.

Thinking outside the box, one way the software could "fix" this would be to add a "super magnab" feature. With super-magnab qualified, you would catch the ball above the UR flipper like you normally do, but the dome LED turns purple and auto-flip is enabled. Then you sit and watch as the UR flipper makes the perfect shot. Much like Phantom Flip in Monster Bash and Thing Flips in Addams Family.

#4182 4 years ago

Still thinking outside the box, and this is a little off-topic, but are there any games where making a skill shot doesn't kill all the remaining skill shots? In other words, if you're really skilled, you could collect two or three skill shots before the skill-shot timer runs out? I guess a super skill shot is something like that, but not exactly.

2 weeks later
#4210 4 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

At expo we reported the findings of our testing of the longer coil stop...

Neat! The one on the right must be the longer coil stop (less flipper travel).

#4214 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballslave:

If less flipper travel is all that's needed, what's wrong with pulling the coil in manually (So the flipper moves to the location in the left photo), then loosening the flipper bat, moving it to the 'less travel' position (the right photo) and tightening it back up... surely this will result in the same reduced travel as having a longer coil stop, and have the benefit of not needing a longer coil stop... or am I missing something?

Interesting. I wonder if that would work. Basically, when you think about the mechanics, your method sets the flipper bat end-of-stroke position by slewing "coil start" instead of changing coil stop

1 week later
#4254 4 years ago

In my game, after installing the new coil stop bracket, the frequency of balls getting into the beer barrel Vs total balls played has increased from 18% to about 35%. Clever "fix" to improve that shot. Well done! One thing surprised me... the ball goes up the ramp with more velocity than before. That's a pleasant surprise

#4263 4 years ago

"What you're describing... is non-existence" (Kirk and Spock, 1967)

1 week later
#4291 4 years ago
Quoted from Ferret:

It should, but you must hold the start button continuously for about 5 seconds. It also behaves slightly differently from some other manufacturers: doing this will cancel the game in progress, but not immediately start a new game.

Yeah, so about that... why the difference? When I hold the start button for 5 seconds, it's always because I want to restart the game. Seems to me it's better to leave the ball in the shooter lane when you restart the game (and that's the expected behavior). The Oktoberfest behavior (the code auto-launches the ball, you wait until it drains, wait for the game to decide everything is ready, then press Start to begin a new game) is a slight annoyance.

1 month later
#4350 3 years ago
Quoted from Viggin900:

I was wondering about that before installing but someone said its the same? I havnt noticed on mine but I rarely go for the bar but shoot for the barrel. Perhaps I will change my game plan? I will say the ball seems to fly off the wire ramp to the barrel now often. Maybe I will dial the flipper back? Has anyone had to since updating?

With the new coil stop I make the Beer Barrel Ramp more often, and, surprisingly, the ball has more velocity and sometimes flies off the habitrail. Easy to fix with some tweaking. Haven't had any difficulty making the high-striker shot. Not sure about the bar (I rarely shoot for that from the upper flipper). Prior to putting in the new coil stop, I could almost always make a side entrance into the mode start scoop (shoot the left orbit, hold the right flipper button, ball comes around off the UR flipper right into the scoop). Kinda miss that shot

1 month later
#4401 3 years ago

I'd like to get a little more action in the pop bumpers (ideally, have the ball bounce up to the TAP lanes a little more often, as that almost never happens). Adjusting coil strength doesn't seem to help much. Leaf switches are well-adjusted. Playfield pitch is around 6 degrees. Is it just me, or does the ball spend less time in the pop bumpers in this game compared to most pins?

#4407 3 years ago
Quoted from brenna98:

My suggestion is to leave the pop bumper coil settings at factory. If you want more action out of them; here's what I do to all my games:
Use a switch adjustment tool on each pop bumper switch to decrease the gap so the contacts are almost touching.
Also, the "spoon" where the pop bumper skirt point touches: Make sure that leaf of the switch only has enough tension just to touch the point. Too much tension between the point of the skirt and the spoon causes drag and less action.
Once you have them all adjusted, put the playfield back down and start a game. Now with a soft part of a fist, pound a few times in the middle of the playfield. The objective here is to see if that gap is too close where vibrations will set off the pops.
You can also manually touch each pop skirt and see if the vibration causes the other pops to fire. They should not.
Hope that helps.

Thanks for the ideas. So far, I've adjusted the leaf switches and also tried Ferret's idea (removed the bottom part of the rubber baby buggy bumpers in the TAP lanes and see what happens). Those measures didn't make much difference. I like your idea about checking the tension between the spoon and skirt (indeed I do feel a bit of resistance there), so that's the next thing I'll try. The bumpers sound strong, but it's usually two or three thumps and the ball is gone. Maybe it's just the layout. Not a huge deal though.

#4409 3 years ago

Something that has been on my wishlist for a long time... I'd like to see a more complete set of switch audits in the Stats menu. As far as I can tell, the game contains 96 switches, but there are only 16 listed in the switch audits. One area in particular I wanted to look at is how many times the TAP rollover switches close in comparison to other things happening in the game. I guess audits are mostly for the benefit of operators, but hey, it's a wish

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

8,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dixon, CA
$ 8,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 7,899.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 140.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 11.99
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

$ 129.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

Machine - For Sale
Queen Creek, AZ
$ 7,795.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

$ 39.99
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

Playfield - Other
RavSpec

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 7,795.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Paul_from_Gilroy.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/joe-balcer-confirms-oktoberfest-as-american-pinbals-next-pin?tu=Paul_from_Gilroy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.