(Topic ID: 224963)

Joe Balcer confirms Oktoberfest as American Pinball's next pin.

By PismoArcade

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 4,992 posts
  • 466 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Ferret
  • Topic is favorited by 79 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

8880f5e6998fb0663ff4a9a77f40c92eb6c125f2 (resized).png
okt (resized).jpg
59547925-ED73-4D13-9C0B-C0B4DB7F1F2C (resized).jpeg
20210418_173000 (resized).jpg
IMG_8199 (resized).jpg
20211127_232248 (resized).jpg
BLKFRIDAY2021 (1) (resized).png
16341706819071145026220657450351 (resized).jpg
AAAABWnlUYQGnwPYrDFi3t2ZJg8xDmhdqB2hGmDLTPnpLg4SjPq15X8P8IAl66bSXZXeQjCVgv9i_WrsIbMEvcUa9pH863X- (resized).jpg
20211006_190939 (resized).jpg
47cc5c7a51600f42dccc5022b9550eca8025c861 (resized).jpg
IMG_7361 (resized).jpg
IMG_7362 (resized).jpg
Okt upgraded coil stop - blue = new (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
20210620_160449 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #928 Oktoberfest initial release pics and rule card pic Posted by PinballSTAR (5 years ago)

Post #1686 Updated (final?) Oktoberfest cabinet art Posted by HOOKED (5 years ago)

Post #1954 Link to 3/1/19 streaming video Posted by chuckwurt (5 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider HighVoltage.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1004 5 years ago

To consider a game at 7K+ I think it's got to hit on all cylinders. That means all aspects of the game should contribute to the world under glass. When I first saw the playfield reveal, I was excited: it looks fun and interesting, and immediately draws you into that festive world. But the more that was revealed, the more I saw and heard, the more my excitement faded.

The music reminds me of the kid that goes to town on pinball browser making his own personal customization of his pin. He's really proud and loves it, but others are just bewildered by it.

This said it well

Quoted from colonel_caverne:

the music must match this original theme. I want to be in the Oktoberfest festival when I will play this game.

Ben Heck called it. Why is American Pinball so concerned with being politically correct? Agree with jgentry they could have put some good eye candy in the artwork without being overtly sexual. Maybe there is some, not saying there's none, but I'm not looking at the main female character because she's attractive. She only caught my attention because she has an odd look: her face or expression, something seems off and I'm not totally sure what it is, but she looks weird to me. But weirder than that, I don't get why a monkey playing ass-grab is supposed to be something I want to see, but cleavage isn't?

Agree with the other comments on voices and caracitures, the world under glass aren't well served by things like phony or confusing accents.

I think there's still enough appeal and loose wallets that it will sell okay: many seem more willing to overlook the faults. We're getting lots of faint praise.

You dont play the art so in the end gameplay can overcome it.

The art is totally fine. Even good maybe.

I can completely put the art and music out of focus if the game is good.

#1005 5 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

Serious question
What about cleavage or pretty women is not family friendly? You really can't go very many places without seeing some tasteful or untasteful cleavage. Are public pools not family friendly? There are tasteful ways to add things and still be family friendly in my opinion. Not sure why AP is so scared of a little cleavage for a theme that is known for is busty women. You can still make the game about the carnival and have theme appropriate women that do not offend people.

Totally agree, and want to add my question:

Is a monkey playing ass-grab more politically correct than some cleavage? I just find that bizarre.

1 week later
#1420 5 years ago
Quoted from BarryJ:

We will be working on alternative art.. Backglass as well as cabinet that would be available as an add on.

Is this much different than other companies offering different models with different art? So much for the one model for all philosophy.

Add-on? Why not just an option at no extra charge? Out-Sterning Stern here? You get to pay for the mediocre art, then pay again for a different art package.

Put me down for I'd -never- pay extra to improve a mediocre art package on a premium-priced machine. But I'm sure a lot of people will.

"We blew it, but we're not going to pay for it, you will." Should really pull a JJP here and do a take-2.

#1423 5 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

For me personally (sounds like you have a different opinion) I like the model API is taking. I wish other manufacturers would let us accessorize the art and such to fit our needs instead of forcing us to by an LE or the like. Being forced to buy ALL of the Se/LE options because of one feature becomes costly to the consumer. Letting me upgrade to my taste seems like a smart company thinking outside the cabinet so to speak.

So you like this model? You prefer an extra-charge add-on vs price-indifferent option?

#1424 5 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Instead of thinking 'good' vs 'bad'...
Consider
"Adult" vs "Family"

People like to try to frame this as an Adult/Family either/or, but as others have already argued, I agree it's not that.

One thing is clear, it's not popular, and they've admitted as much with this new "add-on" artwork that they just came up with.

Also curious if you think a monkey playing ass-grab is family friendly?

#1441 5 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

I think you are blurring conversations... because if you follow what barry replied to, and the posts after.. that's not what you've said.

It's obvious my response was about the "add-on" philosophy: -you- tried to reframe the discussion to be about adult/family. Hey, play with your straw man if you like, but you can do so alone.

Quoted from flynnibus:

Again, you're inserting your own conclusions as if they were supported by the cites. They are not. Stop leaping.

If anyone is reaching, it's you. I'm sure the "add-on" artwork was in the plan the whole time, it's got nothing to do with the reactions on here. You make your conclusions, and I'll make mine, and we can just disagree.

#1443 5 years ago
Quoted from colonel_caverne:

I prefer an extra charge add-on then nothing else to what I don’t like.
I think you can’t imagine the chance we have to get some manufacturer teams here on pinside, to get the availability to exchange our points of you with them, to make them change/enhance some part of the game that we don’t like.
You don’t like the game, that is ok, we get it. It happens to me too and usually drains the thread.
This proximity with the teams of designers is important for me and determining in the bottom line to buy.

I never said I don't like the game. In fact, I wouldn't have a strong opinion on aspects of the game if I weren't interested in it.

It's great to have input and to hear that this is a prototype that isn't yet final, so there's still hope. I hope my opinions were worth 2c too.

I do think they could have made a more informed decision in the first place with some basic market research. It does sound like there were conflicting internal opinions but one was the most weighty.

And, I'll be clear on where I stand. I prefer one great art package. I don't have a problem with two art packages, -unless- one costs more than the other. If that's the case, AP has lost me as a potential customer.

#1475 5 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Maybe I missed it ? I don't believe they said anything about a price difference if you can choose between family friendly or more adult themed art.
I'd wait until we know more about final art work and pricing.
LTG : )

Yeah, we can hope I guess. To me it seemed pretty obvious that it was inferred by being called an "add-on": I don't think that term is ever used as a cost-free option. But maybe they'll reconsider that.

#1476 5 years ago

It seems the term "adult" has been thrown around pretty loosely. This came up with regard to BreakShot in another thread ( https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/too-unpolitically-correct-for-public ). See links to BreakShot translites below: I'd only categorize one as "adult". That term's more common connotation is as in "adult movie". Is that what some want or the option AP are talking about?

I just want something that's attractive, reflects Oktoberfest realistically, and doesn't seem censored. That doesn't mean adult to me. More accurate to call the art packages rated (G)eneral and rated (M)ature, or maybe censored and normal is also fitting. Normal art package should be standard, and people can pay for the censored add-on, kind of like the 3rd BreakShot translit.

Or how about we just have the "Prude" add-on: overlay stickers to anesthetize the artwork.

https://images.pinside.com/5/16/51675a5b49a8bc6622a550485c105540686eac5b/resized/large/51675a5b49a8bc6622a550485c105540686eac5b.jpg

https://images.pinside.com/5/d5/5d53a54407da9e64512040b422f7a199e2b034ec/resized/large/5d53a54407da9e64512040b422f7a199e2b034ec.jpeg

https://www.pinballwizard.nl/contents/en-us/p2960_Break_Shot_translite_Capcom_pinball_flipperkast.html

http://www.ministryofpinball.com/en/game-specific-items/capcom/breakshot/breakshot-alternate-translite-4.html

#1478 5 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

I'm sure APs adult version will be PG-13 at best.

Kind of my point, we're calling "PG-13" artwork "Adult"...

1 week later
#1549 5 years ago

Can't believe he hasn't weighed in until now...

https://www.captiongenerator.com/1165422/Hitler-is-informed-about-Oktoberfest-Pinball

*Humor-impaired should not click this link, it's just for fun.

#1558 5 years ago

Oh, yup, typo. Those are good alternatives, but I actually meant this one below, might be colloquial slang from where I grew up, had kind of a "get lost" connotation.

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Butt%20out

4 months later
#2233 5 years ago
Quoted from BarryJ:

Hat was hitting ... Now we all know the reason for the disappearance ...

So are you saying this is a temporary disappearance? Or was this too difficult of an engineering problem for API to solve? Like JJP's concentric discs?

bumper-cars (resized).jpgbumper-cars (resized).jpg

#2234 5 years ago

Here, I fixed it for you, I'll bill you for the solution...

bumper-cars-fix (resized).jpgbumper-cars-fix (resized).jpg

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 8,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation
Pinball Machine
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
Other
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 7,795.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation
Pinball Machine
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider HighVoltage.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/joe-balcer-confirms-oktoberfest-as-american-pinbals-next-pin?tu=HighVoltage and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.