(Topic ID: 224963)

Joe Balcer confirms Oktoberfest as American Pinball's next pin.

By PismoArcade

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 4,992 posts
  • 466 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Ferret
  • Topic is favorited by 79 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

8880f5e6998fb0663ff4a9a77f40c92eb6c125f2 (resized).png
okt (resized).jpg
59547925-ED73-4D13-9C0B-C0B4DB7F1F2C (resized).jpeg
20210418_173000 (resized).jpg
IMG_8199 (resized).jpg
20211127_232248 (resized).jpg
BLKFRIDAY2021 (1) (resized).png
16341706819071145026220657450351 (resized).jpg
AAAABWnlUYQGnwPYrDFi3t2ZJg8xDmhdqB2hGmDLTPnpLg4SjPq15X8P8IAl66bSXZXeQjCVgv9i_WrsIbMEvcUa9pH863X- (resized).jpg
20211006_190939 (resized).jpg
47cc5c7a51600f42dccc5022b9550eca8025c861 (resized).jpg
IMG_7361 (resized).jpg
IMG_7362 (resized).jpg
Okt upgraded coil stop - blue = new (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
20210620_160449 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #928 Oktoberfest initial release pics and rule card pic Posted by PinballSTAR (5 years ago)

Post #1686 Updated (final?) Oktoberfest cabinet art Posted by HOOKED (5 years ago)

Post #1954 Link to 3/1/19 streaming video Posted by chuckwurt (5 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider 27dnast.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#818 5 years ago

That looks fun as hell. If that has some wacky humor laced into it, this could be a killer game!

#1010 5 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

The different levels of realism on this plastic feel odd, but I'm admittedly not an artist.
You've got the claymation/drawn guy in the upper right. The photoshopped or guy in costume on the left. Then the photo of the girl holding her blouse open with a unibrow and mustache?[quoted image]

That's it. This game is dead to me.

#1058 5 years ago
Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

Ugh. Stop encouraging manufacturers to charge more. Why do I have to keep saying this?

You actually think that comments on Pinside dictate pricing?

People talk big on the internet... but what really speaks is actually opening the wallet. If people pay, then manufacturers will continue to price high. And if manufacturers raise prices and people still pay, then prices will continue to rise.

This is not some mystery.

AP can say they'll price this game at $8.5K whether Pinside says that's a good idea or not. The only validation they need is in the cash box. Believe me, they wouldn't price high if cash wasn't arriving.

This isn't some "for the love of the hobby" situation. This is a business. Frankly, I don't think we've seen the ceiling on pricing yet. But what do I know. We'll all know when the ceiling arrives, because prices will stop going up.

#1187 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I don't mean to keep beating the "I worked on Alien" drum, but just to mention it one more time

Screen Shot 2018-10-20 at 4.59.51 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2018-10-20 at 4.59.51 PM (resized).png
#1260 5 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

You don't get ball strikes on the under side of the cannon? Those aren't savable.
I've no issue with the cannons on STTNG that people moan about, and which are far less obstructive than the cannon on AC/DC.
I've absolutely zero problem with Popeye and it's one of my favourite games.

That doesn’t happen on my acdc

#1333 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I've done the licensed game thing. The restrictions were a nightmare. I'd never touch a licensed pinball again if I were feeling crazy enough to work on another game.

lol...

WE KNOW!

Believe it or not, anyone that touches licenses are bound to restrictions and protective actions/requests by the rights holder. That's how it works. Every circumstance is different... I doubt you would have heard the same response right after Zombie Y unleashed the awesomeness that is Ghostbusters.

1 week later
#1488 5 years ago
Quoted from GAP:

We are now taking deposits for Oktoberfest. All deposits will reside with Great American Pinball. We are asking for $250.00 down and balance 15 days before shipment.
Check out our feedback rating. We would like to earn your business!
https://pinside.com/pinball/community/pinsiders/gap/feedback
PLACE ORDER HERE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
https://www.greatamericanpinball.com/product-page/oktoberfest-pinball-machine-depoist
Thanks
Great American Pinball[quoted image]

Is it just me, or do these constant Buy From Us posts from distributors feel like spam? I'm really surprised the pinside mod teams allows this junk to constantly appear in threads.

1 year later
#4531 3 years ago

Question for owners that have Oktoberfest and WOZ... when I played OF at a show, I immediately noticed the shot up the middle (with the drop target and VUK) as being similar to WOZ. There's some other feels to the game that has a similar sameness.

Do any owners of both feel this overlap? Just wondering if having both in a lineup with have redundancy.

#4533 3 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Both Joe Balcer designs.
LTG : )

Yes. I generally try to avoid having games with too similar if a layout in the collection at the same time. Just wondering how owners of both feel about similarities when side by side.

#4536 3 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

I have WOZ, not OKT however at no point when playing either have I thought it plays anything like the other. Now occasionally the Milkcan shot on Houdini makes me think of the Crystal Ball shot on WOZ but that's where the similarities end between those two as well.

I agree with that!

#4541 3 years ago

I’m thinking long and hard about bringing an OF into my collection. I’ve played the game once (Allentown).

Sell me on it!

#4548 3 years ago
Quoted from Ferret:

Gotta start off with the really unique layout. This is not a game where all the shots are in exactly the same location as 3 other games in a collection. You've got closer shots, farther shots, 3 (at least) shots off the upper flipper, an orbit that transforms into a ramp, tons of targets to shoot for, and even a third slingshot. (And one of the modes rewards you for intentionally shooting that extra slingshot!) You've also got the cool MagNab feature that gives you TWO player controlled diverters -- and the button to control them is in comfortable reach of your right flipper finger!
Oktoberfest is truly a "never play it the same way twice" sort of game. You can collect an infinite number of steins that stack on each other to transform the game. Sometimes it's fun to go "all in" on one stein, max it out and try to really blow up one feature of the game. The next game you might prefer to spread action around to different steins to get more of a balance of scoring opportunities. These choices become extra fun when you're competing against other people who are familiar with the game, because you might look at the choices that someone is making and think "huh, how's that gonna work out?" ... and then (assuming they execute on it well ) a whole new approach to the game unfolds before you. Then you need to figure out if the strategy you had planned will be enough to counter your opponent's approach, or if you need to change things up.
You know that feeling on a game when you've been carefully setting up the perfect stack of a mode + a multiball + a frenzy + 2X scoring, and it's all right where you want it, then you make the key shot(s) to start it all up and points are flying and it feels great? That's what Oktoberfest is all about from the first launch of a ball... setting up the right opportunities, lighting the fuse when ready, and making your plan all come together.
Of course, you don't have to be a chess master to enjoy the game. There's a ton of tents (modes) and features that use every part of the playfield and are really fun to shoot, and anyone can have a great time just following the time-honored "shoot the flashing lights" strategy. But IMHO, especially when you have the game in your home and you can play it every day, it's really the steins that elevate the game from a solid "modes + multiballs" game into something unlike any other pin.
And last but not least: one handed mode. It is a hilarious party game to switch Oktoberfest to one-handed mode (where both flippers are activated from the right-side buttons). Pretty much no one has practice playing pinball that way, so it's a lot of fun when you have players of all skill levels trying to master this new insanity. Bonus points if you are actually holding a stein full of good beer in your left hand while you play, as we intended when designing that.
Have I convinced you yet? I can keep this up all night...

Is the code similar to Houdini? Or is designed with a completely different feel?

1 week later
#4569 3 years ago

Oktoberfest has landed in the game room!

#4571 3 years ago
Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

Congrats! I am truly "jelly".
Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the game as you enjoy it at home!

Thanks, Tuna. Might take a few days to get set up... but am looking forward to it. I’ve been so impressed by Houdini from build to play, I have super high expectations!

1 week later
#4577 3 years ago
Quoted from Ferret:

You've also got the cool MagNab feature that gives you TWO player controlled diverters -- and the button to control them is in comfortable reach of your right flipper finger!

Ok. I need some help with this feature. Where are the two magnab magnets... how do they act as diverters... how do I know when they can be activated?

I've played around 30 games... I must be missing someting!

#4579 3 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

Ok. I need some help with this feature. Where are the two magnab magnets... how do they act as diverters... how do I know when they can be activated?
I've played around 30 games... I must be missing someting!

found the answer by rosh (post 3499):

"MagNab -- inlanes activate MagNabs for you at TAP lanes or upper flipper based on what is going on in the game. The MagNab lamps will be GREEN when the game is going to auto-grab for you. Based on speeds and other factors, sometimes the grab will be missed. If lamps are YELLOW, they you have control of the magnets via MagNabs, if the light is OFF, either you are out of magNabs (shoot newton/captive ball or right ramp, which ever is lit, to collect more) or for game reasons we have it disabled (pretty rare). MagNab lamps flash RED, when the magnets are active."

#4588 3 years ago

Is there a way to make the tent modes randomly selected when you hit the scoop, as opposed to user selected?

I think I’d prefer that to selecting myself

#4590 3 years ago
Quoted from RipleYYY:

pity in a way, as this is really tactic if you wanna try to score high
but i can understand if you wanna just play to... play
in fact the game will always propose the "better" for you (mainly, i suppose, the one connected to the last STEIN you've collected)

It’s the part of the game that feels sluggish to me. I think I’d like the excitement factor of randomness.

#4592 3 years ago

It’s not a deal breaker for me, at all. I get the intent (no pun intended , you’re at Oktoberfest, wandering around and visiting tents.

I haven’t spent enough time dissecting it, but if the first tent option presented to the player is always randomized, then you could literally double flip and play. @rosh, is that how it’s coded?

#4595 3 years ago
Quoted from Ferret:

Right, it’s not exactly random, but feel free to just blindly double-flip anytime the game wants you to choose a tent or stein.

Would be fun to have a double flip give you a fast "wheel of fortune" type spinner annimation that randomly lands on a tent.

#4616 3 years ago

Has anyone added spotlights to the lower part of playfield?

#4619 3 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

Has anyone added spotlights to the lower part of playfield?

I guess not...? Was hoping to confirm what V bulb I should use?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 39.99
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

$ 7,795.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 129.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

8,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dixon, CA
$ 7,795.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

$ 140.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 8,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

Machine - For Sale
Queen Creek, AZ
$ 11.99
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

$ 7,899.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider 27dnast.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/joe-balcer-confirms-oktoberfest-as-american-pinbals-next-pin?tu=27dnast and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.