(Topic ID: 224963)

Joe Balcer confirms Oktoberfest as American Pinball's next pin.

By PismoArcade

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 4,992 posts
  • 466 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Ferret
  • Topic is favorited by 79 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

8880f5e6998fb0663ff4a9a77f40c92eb6c125f2 (resized).png
okt (resized).jpg
59547925-ED73-4D13-9C0B-C0B4DB7F1F2C (resized).jpeg
20210418_173000 (resized).jpg
IMG_8199 (resized).jpg
20211127_232248 (resized).jpg
BLKFRIDAY2021 (1) (resized).png
16341706819071145026220657450351 (resized).jpg
AAAABWnlUYQGnwPYrDFi3t2ZJg8xDmhdqB2hGmDLTPnpLg4SjPq15X8P8IAl66bSXZXeQjCVgv9i_WrsIbMEvcUa9pH863X- (resized).jpg
20211006_190939 (resized).jpg
47cc5c7a51600f42dccc5022b9550eca8025c861 (resized).jpg
IMG_7361 (resized).jpg
IMG_7362 (resized).jpg
Okt upgraded coil stop - blue = new (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
20210620_160449 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 4,992 posts in this topic. You are on page 97 of 100.
#4801 2 years ago

Coil stop change (not really a "fix", that implies something being broken) tweaks the angle/throw of the upper flipper a tiny bit, but many people find that it makes the Beer Barrel ramp shot easier. Yes, should be available from your distributor or from API.

Also remember that you can tweak the flipper strength in Settings > Coils ... play around with that. Stronger is not always better, so experiment with both stronger and weaker.

Congrats on your new addition... enjoy!

#4802 2 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

What is the coil stop fix I saw a few posts about? Can I get that from AP?

Cc brenna98

#4803 2 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

First check if you already have it . . . should look like the blue not the red . . .

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#4804 2 years ago

Will check. Thanks.

#4805 2 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

It's a longer coil stop that reduces the flipper bat travel and makes the barrel shot easier.
https://store.american-pinball.com/products/coil-stop-oktoberfest
Regardless if you have an original coil stop or extended, you'll need to practice the shot. I recommend placing the ball in the right orbit and shooting the shot several times. If you hit it square, the ball should have plenty of power to get up there. You can adjust the coil strength setting up a little if a clean shot doesn't get all the way up. Remember, 6 degree pitch is recommended.

To find out which coil stop you have, hold the right flipper button and review the tip of the flipper in relation to the playfield art. If the flipper tip is on the woman's head, you have the extended coil stop already installed. If it's above her head, you have the original coil stop.
Okt upgraded coil stop - blue = new (resized).pngOkt upgraded coil stop - blue = new (resized).png

#4806 2 years ago

I'll check it out. Thanks. I was doing some manual drop in the lane practice flips. I'm pitched at 6.5, so I'll go to 6 and see what that does.

#4807 2 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

Yes, contact them. It helped my game a whole lot!

#4808 2 years ago

Mine is the old style but just played a quick game and nailed the upper ramp three times.

#4809 2 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

You can but I never bothered. Some others have said that dropping the angle of the upper flipper helps. I haven’t done that either. My advice would be to just put some games under your belt before you go adjusting anything. If it doesn’t get easier, then you can look into the other suggested fixes.

#4810 2 years ago

Anyone have some fun mods they have put in their game? I just enjoy tinkering and haven't found much out there.

#4811 2 years ago
Quoted from bossk4hire:

Anyone have some fun mods they have put in their game? I just enjoy tinkering and haven't found much out there.

Mostly cosmetic ones. There is quite a few, sac through the thread picture gallery.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/joe-balcer-confirms-oktoberfest-as-american-pinbals-next-pin/page/97?gallery#g

I added a custom shooter rod, a VW bier bus,
Aloisius figure- the Hofbräuhaus beer angel legend, and Schutzenliesel on the barrel, a couple flags and a couple other minor things.

#4812 2 years ago
Quoted from bossk4hire:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/free-oktoberfest-mod-maypole-and-pennants

#4813 2 years ago

Where is the setting to change how many high scores it keeps? Think mine is on like 15 right now. Would like to knock about ten off that.

#4814 2 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

Where is the setting to change how many high scores it keeps?

Going through the manual ( I don't have a game to check ) there doesn't appear to be one.

LTG : )

#4815 2 years ago

There is no such setting. It keeps 14 high scores. They're intentionally formatted on-screen with top 4 and then "best of the rest of the Fest", so feel free to just focus your eyes on the top items in the larger font, and ignore the rest.

#4816 2 years ago
Quoted from Ferret:

There is no such setting. It keeps 14 high scores. They're intentionally formatted on-screen with top 4 and then "best of the rest of the Fest", so feel free to just focus your eyes on the top items in the larger font, and ignore the rest.

I love all the different high scores! Makes for good trash talking haha.

1 month later
#4817 2 years ago

I was playing my game today, and 2 time this happened.
I shoot the left orbit, and then a new ball is put in the shooter lane and it's like it's a new ball, but I still have one in play.
the ball is not autolaunched either.

any thoughts?
I'm on the 200.9.23 code

#4818 2 years ago

Did you get a Ball Locked animation at the same time? Or did it just silently serve a ball?

Either way: if you can, please capture the logs from the game and send them to me at ferret <at> americanpinball.com. Please note the date/time at which the problem happened.

Sorry for the inconvenience!

#4819 2 years ago
Quoted from Ferret:

Did you get a Ball Locked animation at the same time? Or did it just silently serve a ball?
Either way: if you can, please capture the logs from the game and send them to me at ferret <at> americanpinball.com. Please note the date/time at which the problem happened.
Sorry for the inconvenience!

It just silently gave me a ball.
I will capture the logs. That will be fun to learn.
Thankfully my wife is a programmer. We will cover it out.

#4820 2 years ago
Quoted from kevindrives:

I will capture the logs. That will be fun to learn.

Super easy. Just insert a blank, FAT32 formatted USB stick into the USB port that's just inside the coin door. It should think about it for a few moments and then tell you that the settings and logs have been copied to the USB drive. E-mail the whole kit 'n' caboodle. Thank you very much.

3 weeks later
#4821 2 years ago

Just had an end of ball bonus last night at 7x that got me 1.4 million points. What did I do? Haha. I think I got that duck derby mode. That’s all I remember. I want to say I had 70-75 ducks too.

#4822 2 years ago

Also, by the end of our session last night the corkscrew ramp became impossible to make. I assume it was flipper fade. Any tips other than putting fans on the flippers? We had not issues at the start of the session, then the ball stopped making it all the way up about 30 mins later.

#4823 2 years ago

I just put a deposit down for an Oktoberfest, it'll be my first NIB pinball and I'm absolutely excited it was an American one.
Admired the game for several years, now all I have to do is find ducks to mod in the bumper cars!
Cheers Gentlemen!

#4824 2 years ago
Quoted from Wizkid93:

I just put a deposit down for an Oktoberfest, it'll be my first NIB pinball and I'm absolutely excited it was an American one.
Admired the game for several years, now all I have to do is find ducks to mod in the bumper cars!
Cheers Gentlemen!

It's a great game. So glad I picked one up.

#4825 2 years ago
Quoted from Wizkid93:

Cheers Gentlemen!

Check out this lady [email protected] she does custom ducks for bumper cars

#4826 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Just had an end of ball bonus last night at 7x that got me 1.4 million points. What did I do?

The real key to monster scores in Oktoberfest is winning several tent modes in the same ball. Winning a tent mode gives you 10% of your score in that tent as multipliable bonus... times the number of tents you won on that ball. So if you win 5 tents on a single ball, you're actually getting 50% of your score from those 5 tents as multipliable bonus. Yes, huge point potential. And that's when you really want to have one or more Reclab Redrum Stout steins, which give extra Bonus X increase.

Also: don't tilt!

#4827 2 years ago
Quoted from Ferret:

The real key to monster scores in Oktoberfest is winning several tent modes in the same ball. Winning a tent mode gives you 10% of your score in that tent as multipliable bonus... times the number of tents you won on that ball. So if you win 5 tents on a single ball, you're actually getting 50% of your score from those 5 tents as multipliable bonus. Yes, huge point potential. And that's when you really want to have one or more Reclab Redrum Stout steins, which give extra Bonus X increase.
Also: don't tilt!

Def had the bonus x Stein and had a very long ball. Are green tents the ones you completed? I feel like I had 3-4 in that ball. Makes sense.

#4828 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Def had the bonus x Stein and had a very long ball. Are green tents the ones you completed? I feel like I had 3-4 in that ball. Makes sense.

Correct, green tents have been completed, yellow ones have been played but not completed. You can revisit a tent you've already played ... it remembers your progress toward winning (e.g. if you got 25 of the 30 required spinners for Rockin' Express, you'll only need 5 more to win if you revisit the tent)... but the scoring levels reset when you revisit. Still, can be worth it.

The other scoring strategy tidbit to remember is that the scoring on all tents scales with the number of ducks you have. So you might be thinking that, say, Fud Frenzy + a multiball is a great stack, and of course it is... but it's a significantly better stack if you're playing it with 50 ducks collected than if you only have a dozen ducks. So the order in which you choose to play things can be pretty important.

#4830 2 years ago

I once had 160m points in bonus. (yes, million)

I knew I had a great ball by completing multiple tents, getting a lot of ducks, and just having a really long ball time in general. I expected a good bonus, but I did not expect anything remotely close to 160m points.

The lesson learned is to complete the tents and don't tilt!

#4831 2 years ago

160 million in bonus?!? Yeah that seems broken. What was the actual score from that ball outside of bonus?

#4832 2 years ago

I think my score before that bonus was just under 100m. I played a few extra balls, but the bonus on my last ball was an absolute monster. I don't remember exactly what I did during the last ball, but I know completed tents and collected a lot of steins.

I only got that monster bonus once. This wasn't broken, it was a game where all the stars lined up on the final ball.

#4833 2 years ago

Yuck. Getting an end of ball bonus that is more than double the points you scored during the ball is no bueno imo. It’s fun to have fun with bonus, but not overpowered like that. Seems like that bonus from completely tents might be better at around 5% instead of 10%. Excited to get more time on this now that a good friend has one.

No suggestions on how to get the flippers to keep optimal performance over long periods of play? I’d like to be able to play corkscrew MB after 30-40 mins of playing.

#4834 2 years ago

For flipper performance, you may want to try lowering the flipper coil power slightly. You will reduce the flipper strength up front, but it won't generate as much heat and may not lose its strength after a long game.

You could increase the coil power which will increase the flipper strength upfront, but it will generate more heat and could weaken the flipper earlier.

Another thought I had, but didn't try myself is to put a small desk fan in the cabinet, pointed up towards the lower flipper coils, and plug that fan into the service outlet. I have not tried this myself, but I would think that this would provide decent cooling for the flipper coils.

#4835 2 years ago
Quoted from E_Gpinball:

For flipper performance, you may want to try lowering the flipper coil power slightly. You will reduce the flipper strength up front, but it won't generate as much heat and may not lose its strength after a long game.

Does your corkscrew become impossible after 30-40 mins? If not, what’s your right flipper strength set at?

#4836 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Yuck. Getting an end of ball bonus that is more than double the points you scored during the ball is no bueno imo. It’s fun to have fun with bonus, but not overpowered like that. Seems like that bonus from completely tents might be better at around 5% instead of 10%.

What E_Gpinball describes is somewhere on the extreme tail of the bell curve. But I know you're an experienced tournament player, get some serious time on the game, and I'll welcome your thoughts on the overall scoring balance.

Quoted from chuckwurt:

Does your corkscrew become impossible after 30-40 mins? If not, what’s your right flipper strength set at?

I've played mine for hours and not had trouble making the Corkscrew ramp... my Lower Right Flipper power = 28.

#4838 2 years ago
Quoted from Ferret:

What E_Gpinball describes is somewhere on the extreme tail of the bell curve. But I know you're an experienced tournament player, get some serious time on the game, and I'll welcome your thoughts on the overall scoring balance.

I've played mine for hours and not had trouble making the Corkscrew ramp... my Lower Right Flipper power = 28.

Thanks Joe! I will be headed to my buddy’s this week again and I’ll put a lot more time on it. I’ll let you know.

#4839 2 years ago

I agree,not had any weak flipper after playing like Houdini.
I too would like your input on scoring, I made some comments last month and crickets.

#4840 2 years ago
Quoted from Viggin900:

I agree,not had any weak flipper after playing like Houdini.
I too would like your input on scoring, I made some comments last month and crickets.

Have you ever had a ball last for almost 30 mins?

#4841 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Have you ever had a ball last for almost 30 mins?

Only if it got stuck!

#4842 2 years ago

Also, how frequent are extra balls on stock settings? I got like 5-6 the other night. Is that normal for good games?

#4843 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Also, how frequent are extra balls on stock settings? I got like 5-6 the other night. Is that normal for good games?

Likely 'replay' is set to extra balls, but default is just a single replay award. Off the top of my head, outside of 'replay', there are four you can earn: ducks, steins, tents, mystery. The mystery one is very rarely given other than if the player's score is really low.

Quoted from Viggin900:

I too would like your input on scoring,

Steins, ducks and calories are your friends.

Each stein gives two things, a general game boost (e.g. easier ball saves, more time in tents, etc.), and act as multiplier for the tent they are mapped to. So, ideally you want to play tents that you have steins for and the more steins the better (up to 3 will have benefit). This applies as well to steins that boost Multiballs.

Calories increase scoring in multiballs. You earn calories via food stand modes. Worth noting that when in a food stand mode, shooting the VUK will restart the clock and allow you to consume more food and thus more calories. BTW, collecting TENT letters when in a tent will increase that clock, and the increase is a bit bigger if you collect a letter closer to the clock running out of time. Food modes eventually lead to calorie coma and the number of calories impacts scoring.

Ducks increase scoring in tents. The more you have, the more they help. Going for the 'easier ducks' stein is one way to get your duck count higher. Collecting enough ducks will get you to Duck Derby.

how best to do it is, well that is certainly up for debate. I continue to change my strategy and typically I am adjusting during game play based on what is happening, what shots I am making, etc. If I have a few balls locked for one of the Multiballs, I might go for the appropriate stein to boost that MB before starting it, possible even picking up two or three of them. Early int eh game I might go for 'easier ball saves' or 'easier ducks' or 'more time in tents' (which can make it easier to complete tents and gives more time for 'victory laps')

In general, how you select steins is what should guide what you then go for and vice versa. For example, following up on the comments earlier in the thread, if you complete a few tent modes on one ball, and get a chance to pick a stein, going for the 'bonus multiplier' stein can have a nice payoff and in this case you can do it after you have done the task vs before.

#4844 2 years ago

I think there is a setting to limit the number of extra balls

#4845 2 years ago
Quoted from Hop-Pac:

I think there is a setting to limit the number of extra balls

Yes, Max Extra Balls, which defaults to 4

#4846 2 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

Likely 'replay' is set to extra balls, but default is just a single replay award. Off the top of my head, outside of 'replay', there are four you can earn: ducks, steins, tents, mystery. The mystery one is very rarely given other than if the player's score is really low.

Steins, ducks and calories are your friends.
Each stein gives two things, a general game boost (e.g. easier ball saves, more time in tents, etc.), and act as multiplier for the tent they are mapped to. So, ideally you want to play tents that you have steins for and the more steins the better (up to 3 will have benefit). This applies as well to steins that boost Multiballs.
Calories increase scoring in multiballs. You earn calories via food stand modes. Worth noting that when in a food stand mode, shooting the VUK will restart the clock and allow you to consume more food and thus more calories. BTW, collecting TENT letters when in a tent will increase that clock, and the increase is a bit bigger if you collect a letter closer to the clock running out of time. Food modes eventually lead to calorie coma and the number of calories impacts scoring.
Ducks increase scoring in tents. The more you have, the more they help. Going for the 'easier ducks' stein is one way to get your duck count higher. Collecting enough ducks will get you to Duck Derby.
how best to do it is, well that is certainly up for debate. I continue to change my strategy and typically I am adjusting during game play based on what is happening, what shots I am making, etc. If I have a few balls locked for one of the Multiballs, I might go for the appropriate stein to boost that MB before starting it, possible even picking up two or three of them. Early int eh game I might go for 'easier ball saves' or 'easier ducks' or 'more time in tents' (which can make it easier to complete tents and gives more time for 'victory laps')
In general, how you select steins is what should guide what you then go for and vice versa. For example, following up on the comments earlier in the thread, if you complete a few tent modes on one ball, and get a chance to pick a stein, going for the 'bonus multiplier' stein can have a nice payoff and in this case you can do it after you have done the task vs before.

and this is why it is the best game ever, plus a fun, lighthearted theme and amazing layout.

#4847 2 years ago
Quoted from PokerJake:

and this is why it is the best game ever, plus a fun, lighthearted theme and amazing layout.

I've have STTNG, Guardians, and JP Pro before this in the house.
Oktoberfest is my wife's favorite thus far. Which is great. Sounds like we can bolt this to the floor and get another machine to go next to it

#4848 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

The game you played Brady told me was set to below default at easy. There are so many settings on this game it can really change how we all play. I plan to lower mine and see if I can go deeper into all these strategies Rosh and Ferrit have provided.
Also I just did my annual wax on the game for Oktoberfest season. I usually use Mill wax but tried the Blitz everyone talks about. Wow what a difference. Its like playing ice hockey on this thing. The ball went up the side lane and over to the outlane! Give it a try if the barrel ramp is slowing you down.

#4849 2 years ago

Played a lot more yesterday. My understanding of playing modes that you have steins of makes the modes worth more or easier or both.

So I figured if I brought 2 steins into tap it, I could take in the points. Turns out all it does is makes the mode impossible. Sends fifty people to the taps immediately and you lose almost instantly.

Am I missing something about the stein perks in modes?

Thanks!

#4850 2 years ago

Steins’ only effect on their “paired” tent mode is to multiply the points awarded… 1 Stein = 2x tent scoring, 2 steins = 3x tent scoring, 3 steins = 4x tent scoring, etc. They’re not supposed to have any other effect on their paired tents. (Of course, there’s a stein that has the “global” effect of adding more tent time, which affects all tents.)

rosh will have to comment on why you might have gotten so many customers so fast in Tap It… I don’t touch video modes.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 7,795.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

8,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dixon, CA
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 140.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 11.99
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

$ 7,795.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 39.99
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

$ 129.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 7,899.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 8,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

Machine - For Sale
Queen Creek, AZ
There are 4,992 posts in this topic. You are on page 97 of 100.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/joe-balcer-confirms-oktoberfest-as-american-pinbals-next-pin/page/97?hl=viggin900 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.