(Topic ID: 224963)

Joe Balcer confirms Oktoberfest as American Pinball's next pin.

By PismoArcade

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 4,992 posts
  • 466 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Ferret
  • Topic is favorited by 79 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

8880f5e6998fb0663ff4a9a77f40c92eb6c125f2 (resized).png
okt (resized).jpg
59547925-ED73-4D13-9C0B-C0B4DB7F1F2C (resized).jpeg
20210418_173000 (resized).jpg
IMG_8199 (resized).jpg
20211127_232248 (resized).jpg
BLKFRIDAY2021 (1) (resized).png
16341706819071145026220657450351 (resized).jpg
AAAABWnlUYQGnwPYrDFi3t2ZJg8xDmhdqB2hGmDLTPnpLg4SjPq15X8P8IAl66bSXZXeQjCVgv9i_WrsIbMEvcUa9pH863X- (resized).jpg
20211006_190939 (resized).jpg
47cc5c7a51600f42dccc5022b9550eca8025c861 (resized).jpg
IMG_7361 (resized).jpg
IMG_7362 (resized).jpg
Okt upgraded coil stop - blue = new (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
20210620_160449 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 4,992 posts in this topic. You are on page 93 of 100.
#4601 3 years ago
Quoted from GrandFireball1:

After you get to FM the first time, you will have to play every mode again to reach FM a 2nd time, regardless if you completed the mode prior

ok, that's now clear
and pity, as it would have been nice to go back to FM as i've exposed... i dont see lots of guys to be able to do all the modes twice !?
may be an idea for a future update (yes i know Joe, you have already a lot to check )

#4602 3 years ago

Not sure if it’s what you’re asking, but once you’ve played the other 13 tents, Flipper Meister is qualified, but you’re not obliged to start it... you can instead play other tents to try to win them for improved scoring in both bonus and Flipper Meister. You might also choose to defer Flipper Meister if you want to collect some Pin Wiz Pale Ale steins before playing FM. You’re only forced to play FM if you’ve already won all 13 other tents.

Regardless, yes, once you play FM, status for all the tents resets and you can play them fresh. (Of course, at this point you almost certainly have a bunch of steins and a bunch of ducks, so the tents should be significantly more valuable the second time through.)

#4603 3 years ago
Quoted from Ferret:

Regardless, yes, once you play FM, status for all the tents resets and you can play them fresh. (Of course, at this point you almost certainly have a bunch of steins and a bunch of ducks, so the tents should be significantly more valuable the second time through.)

heu... no !

may be i must retry without the glass and see by myself, but as explained above, after having played FM, the only tents available were the 3 ones i didnt fully completed... all the others (which than i did completed before FM) were NOT available

will look more at this next time Joe

Mic

#4604 3 years ago

ok, just tried without the glass, it worked as you've said, all tents available again after FM !!! (and now i understand why you firstly not understand me ! lol)

than, or i'm fool (to be honest, my wife has a doubt) !? or i was drunk (no chance) ! or i get a bug... ?

this game should be in the logs, as usual will send the file in PM

++

#4605 3 years ago
Quoted from RipleYYY:

ok, just tried without the glass, it worked as you've said, all tents available again after FM !!! (and now i understand why you firstly not understand me ! lol)
than, or i'm fool (to be honest, my wife has a doubt) !? or i was drunk (no chance) ! or i get a bug... ?
this game should be in the logs, as usual will send the file in PM
++

if you 'think' there was a bug, but then testing it works as expected, and you can't replicate it, it is probably not a bug, and given a log file can have tens of thousands of lines, we typically are not going to spend time looking for a needle in haystack, when there is no reason to think there is even a needle to fine.

#4606 3 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

if you 'think' there was a bug, but then testing it works as expected, and you can't replicate it, it is probably not a bug, and given a log file can have tens of thousands of lines, we typically are not going to spend time looking for a needle in haystack, when there is no reason to think there is even a needle to fine.

no worry Josh
i will be more attentive next time (if this happends again !?)

#4607 3 years ago

I never played a game I own without glass. I prefer playing normally and discover new things
day after day

#4608 3 years ago
Quoted from yoyokopter:

Hi , thanks for the explain Rosh , I play the SOBER mode (2h19min) , but there is no insert light on the playfield

Quoted from rosh:

if you can't see the lights you are so far from being sober, they don't matter
I've seen this on rare occasion, but have not been able to replicate it, to be able to figure out what causes it.

got that one too few days ago, can't help about how/why it happends...

#4609 3 years ago
Quoted from pimseb:

I never played a game I own without glass. I prefer playing normally and discover new things
day after day

Hi , RipleYYY don't play without glass to discover the pinball but to simulate a real bug on the code , is not need play without glass to make the end of on pinball

#4610 3 years ago
Quoted from RipleYYY:

got that one too few days ago, can't help about how/why it happends...

Yes this bug is real , and on the vidéo you can see other bug , exemple , the insert "shoot again" blinking when you use the flipper ... and I look it's not a bad contact on the LED

#4611 3 years ago
Quoted from yoyokopter:

Yes this bug is real , and on the vidéo you can see other bug , exemple , the insert "shoot again" blinking when you use the flipper ... and I look it's not a bad contact on the LED

I've reported this bug back in February 2020. I received an answer from Barry Engler by email :

"I was able to replicate this problem on my machine, it is a bug and I will let software know.If they can get things sorted out quickly, I am sure it will be in the next release."

Unfortunately there hasn't been a software update since then and I'm still waiting for this bug to be fixed.

#4612 3 years ago
Quoted from pimseb:

I've reported this bug back in February 2020. I received an answer from Barry Engler by email :
"I was able to replicate this problem on my machine, it is a bug and I will let software know.If they can get things sorted out quickly, I am sure it will be in the next release."
Unfortunately there hasn't been a software update since then and I'm still waiting for this bug to be fixed.

I did that fix back in February, it was also impacting HW, and it will be in the next release. Speaking of which, with the latest HW code released, I've started doing some work on Houdini and Ferret has started work on some Oktoberfest fixes and improvements.

#4613 3 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

I've started doing some work on Houdini and Ferret has started work on some Oktoberfest fixes and improvements.

We totally LOVE Octoberfest! at our house. If there is none thing that I might like see changed, just as a suggestion, is the very generic Ball Save in that giant yellow balloon circle.
Oh, and Shayley (my 5 year old Pinball addict) says its to hard to make the little doggie go down the slide!

#4614 3 years ago
Quoted from Pyromedic:

Oh, and Shayley (my 5 year old Pinball addict) says its to hard to make the little doggie go down the slide!

Settings > Oktoberfest > Sky Slide Drop Target Time

#4615 3 years ago

Arrived and set up today! I'm in love! For maybe 2 minutes I didn't have the balls to press start, I just stared blindly at all the lights with no clue where to go first but within 1 or maybe 2 games I knew what was what and boom, we just clicked like the best first date ever! I can barely type my forearms are blown up! (I'm also a few sheets to the wind!!).

One tiny tech question with a simple fix I'm hoping, is the audio output in stereo? The amp is great and loving being able to adjust the audio to suit my tastes but the 3.5mm jack into the amp isn't being recieved very well, it sort of has to be not quite clicked in all the way for all the speakers and cab speaker to work. The amp has an unused left and right rca imput so can I redirect the audio into the amp using a simple £3 converter like this?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-20CM-STEREO-FEMALE-3-5MM-JACK-TO-2X-RCA-PHONO-MALE/150432043057?epid=1788255232&hash=item230672d031:g:OtoAAOxyi-ZTZNbO

Thanks for any advice on this and congrats to all who played a part in creating this masterpiece! Thank you, thank you, thank you! Sorry, Danke Schoen!!

#4616 3 years ago

Has anyone added spotlights to the lower part of playfield?

#4617 3 years ago
Quoted from JonCrox:

One tiny tech question with a simple fix I'm hoping,

https://www.american-pinball.com/support/service/ Check with American Pinball before you try anything.

LTG : )

#4618 3 years ago
Quoted from JonCrox:

The amp has an unused left and right rca imput so can I redirect the audio into the amp using a simple £3 converter like this?

Give it a try. It’s cheap enough.
I know people plug external subs directly into the amp using the rca plugs.

#4619 3 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

Has anyone added spotlights to the lower part of playfield?

I guess not...? Was hoping to confirm what V bulb I should use?

#4620 3 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

I guess not...? Was hoping to confirm what V bulb I should use?

The GI is full RGB on OKT so you'd have to find a different power source than just one of the GI bulbs, maybe the coin slot bulbs because I believe those are still 555 incandescent (they are on Houdini anyway) but I'm not sure what they are powering them off of, maybe the 5VDC. There is a 12VDC supply you might be able to pull off of somewhere as well.

#4621 3 years ago

Happy International Bier day!
Prost!

bee5574d590085e4d513714c782d349f (resized).jpgbee5574d590085e4d513714c782d349f (resized).jpg
#4622 3 years ago
Quoted from Pyromedic:

Happy International Bier day!
Prost!
[quoted image]

3 and its multi-beer !

#4623 3 years ago

Hello,
I'm still enjoying my Oktoberfest pinball machine but I'm now trying to understand how steins are affecting the game. I easilly understand how some of them work ; like 1 "not'n roht'n" stein will give two TENT letters instead of one when the ball goes through inlanes/outlanes.
It seems that some steins don't boost anything. For example "Ish Pale Ale" gives the feature "easier to collect steins" but the ball must always hit the bar entry 2 times to make it open. Even if I own 2 or 3 "Ish Pale Ale" steins. Shouldn't the bar be permanently open with 3 steins ?
Second example : "Sloshed Rosh Lager" : easier to collect OKTOBERFEST letters. Even with 3 of this steins in my collection, 1 target lits only one letter. I thought with 3 steins one shot would lit 3 or 4 letters at the same time.
Is it a normal behaviour or am I misising something ?
Thank you

#4624 3 years ago

Sloshed Rosh lager gives “neighbors”, so with one stein if you hit an okto letter already lit, it gives a neighbor, two steins it will look two neighbors out looking for an unlit letter, etc. It also increases scoring in looper.

Ish pale ale makes it so you need fewer hits to open bar, but settings can also be a factor in how many hits are needed. It will never just stay open forever.

#4625 3 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

Sloshed Rosh lager gives “neighbors”, so with one stein if you hit an okto letter already lit, it gives a neighbor, two steins it will look two neighbors out looking for an unlit letter, etc

Does this continue to work this way during the Ring Toss tent or Corkscrew Multiball? Or does it go back to must hit unlit

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#4626 3 years ago
Quoted from Hop-Pac:

Does this continue to work this way during the Ring Toss tent or Corkscrew Multiball? Or does it go back to must hit unlit

Only applies to Oktoberfest letter collecting towards locks

#4627 3 years ago

Hello Oktoberfest fans!

We will soon be starting the next round of beta testing for the upcoming Oktoberfest code update, and we're seeking people who might be interested in testing.

We ask that beta testers be willing to put in some solid hours play-testing over the next couple weeks, and be willing to send in logs and reasonably detailed notes of any problems you find with the test code. Beta test code may have problems, up to and including crashing the game, so putting beta code on location (public/revenue-generating) games is not recommended.

If you'd be interested in participating, please send me a DM with your name and e-mail address. Please do so even if you have previously beta tested Oktoberfest or other American Pinball games. Note that to keep things manageable, not all respondents are guaranteed to be added to the beta program.

Thanks!

#4628 3 years ago

when you know you have no luck (even if this game finish at 34M) :

left outlane while SOBER lit
play it & did complete it, with a last letter touched on side targets, than while Inga was saying "yes you are sober", ball cross the playfield and out in the opposite outlane...

oh dear ... looooooooooooool that's why we like playing pinball

#4629 3 years ago

Sometimes the ball is just hell bent on draining. My usual nemesis is the brilliant slap-save that rescues a SDTM ball, but then ricochets a couple times and slams out an outlane. As you say, that's why we love (and occasionally hate) pinball.

#4630 3 years ago

I'd love to test but don't have enough time to put into it. Thank you for pushing forward on a great game. It will NEVER leave my collection. Too close to my family roots...love everything about it including the art. Can I get a monkey translite???

#4631 3 years ago

Anybody have any idea what happened here? @rosh, @ferret. My game went nuts. After player one drained, player two is up and the game just kept shooting balls by itself. This lasted for a full 2 minutes before I turned it off. Then I turned it back on and adjusted a few settings (tent completion changes) and started a game. Now I have Thor's Hammer Stein instead of Castrated Monkey.

#4632 3 years ago
Quoted from Hop-Pac:

Anybody have any idea what happened here? rosh, ferret. My game went nuts. After player one drained, player two is up and the game just kept shooting balls by itself. This lasted for a full 2 minutes before I turned it off. Then I turned it back on and adjusted a few settings (tent completion changes) and started a game. Now I have Thor's Hammer Stein instead of Castrated Monkey.

not sure what that was, but you can send the log to [email protected]

family friendly OFF = Castrated Monkey vs family friendly ON = Thors' Hammer

#4633 3 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

family friendly OFF = Castrated Monkey vs family friendly ON = Thors' Hammer

Ok. That's one of the settings I changed.

No idea how to send logs

#4634 3 years ago
Quoted from Hop-Pac:

No idea how to send logs

Page 45 in the manual. Send the log to [email protected]

#4635 3 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Page 45 in the manual. Send the log to [email protected]

Thanks @LTG

I don't think I have the right manual. I'll download the correct one

#4636 3 years ago

Does anyone have a solution for this? Happens constantly, I may have to bend a plastic piece from the sign to get it to stay out.

20200821_164611 (resized).jpg20200821_164611 (resized).jpg
#4637 3 years ago
Quoted from Viggin900:

Does anyone have a solution for this? Happens constantly, I may have to bend a plastic piece from the sign to get it to stay out.

Sorry - I can't help as I don't have an Oktoberfest yet. Got a question for you though - what did you use for the striped hex post sleeves on your game? They add a nice touch!

#4638 3 years ago
Quoted from Viggin900:

Does anyone have a solution for this? Happens constantly,

Does it fly off the wireform and lodge there ? If so I'd see if the side by the stuck ball can be raised a little altering the path of the ball. If it's coming off the plastic ramp early and going there, the two screws holding the clear plastic guard to the ramp, I'd add something to that area so it extends to the barrel farther. Plastic or something.

#4639 3 years ago
Quoted from Viggin900:

Does anyone have a solution for this?

I don't have the game to check. But any chance the steel wall needs to be bent out a little, making the gap to the barrel a little wider? See the red arrows.

426b129a7edb7249b927279948c62b8c631c62a4 (resized).jpg426b129a7edb7249b927279948c62b8c631c62a4 (resized).jpg
#4640 3 years ago
Quoted from Viggin900:

Happens on mine too but not very frequently. Probably 1 out of 10 games or so I'll get one stuck there.

#4641 3 years ago
Quoted from Viggin900:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/oktoberfest-owners-10-/page/10#post-5793483

#4642 3 years ago
Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

Sorry - I can't help as I don't have an Oktoberfest yet. Got a question for you though - what did you use for the striped hex post sleeves on your game? They add a nice touch!

Viggin900 made them:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/free-oktoberfest-mod-maypole-and-pennants#post-5132582

#4643 3 years ago

Thanks! I have the flipper power adjusted but still flies off. I'm going to bend that metal plate next.

#4644 3 years ago
Quoted from Viggin900:

Try bending out the guide to the lock entry a bit.

#4645 3 years ago
Quoted from Hop-Pac:

Anybody have any idea what happened here? rosh, ferret. My game went nuts. After player one drained, player two is up and the game just kept shooting balls by itself. This lasted for a full 2 minutes before I turned it off. Then I turned it back on and adjusted a few settings (tent completion changes) and started a game. Now I have Thor's Hammer Stein instead of Castrated Monkey.

yes. Take all the pinballs out put them on a flat surface and see if they are sticking together. My Oktoberfest was driving me nuts early on with b******* ball saves and acting all sorts of stupid. Got a new trough and was still having issues. Took the balls out and they were all sticking to each other. They don't roll down to the bottom of the trough like they should when they're magnetized. One of my buddies was having issues with balls magnetizing on a different game when I mentioned the symptoms to him he said pull the balls out and take a look. Sure as shit they were all clumped together. I feel your pain as it was a maddening problem and it also has intermittent.

#4646 3 years ago

Good point, @swainer80. For reasons that I don't understand, certain pinballs are MUCH more prone to being magnetized than others. (Back when "super shiny" balls debuted -- 20+ years ago? -- they were known to be disastrous in games that heavily used magnets, like Twilight Zone.) Of course, Oktoberfest uses its four magnets a lot, so balls that get magnetized easily will become problematic.

I suppose I should figure out a clever algorithm to determine if trough problems might be caused by magnetized balls, and display an operator warning.

#4647 3 years ago

The non stop balls were happening to my new okf and Dave of API was supplying me with new pcb’s in search of a solution. Although it doesn’t happen nearly as often as it was before the board replacements it will occasionally rear its ugly head without warning. If a ball is sticking in the trough due to magnetic attraction wouldn’t that prevent it from moving into the launch position and just cause a backup in the trough instead of an endless regurgitation of balls?

#4648 3 years ago

Not necessarily. That presumes that the entire chain of balls is sticking one short of the expected position. That may be possible. It's also possible for the balls to be stuck together in one or more clumps, each of which may or may not roll fully to where the trough optos expect the balls to be. And then those balls may shift around at weird times. Basically a series of pseudo-random (unpredictable) things that can lead to problems that "occasionally rear its ugly head without warning", as you note.

I'm not saying that everyone who has unexpected problems with the trough, crazy ball saves, etc can 100% blame magnetized balls. Tons of issues -- mechanical, electrical, software -- could be involved, and if you're having trouble, the American Pinball team is standing by to help you. But if you are experiencing trough-related problems, by all means, please pull out the balls and test them to see if they're magnetized. If they are (even a little bit!), it is highly recommended to switch them out for balls that aren't magnetized, and hopefully that simple solution will resolve your issue.

#4649 3 years ago
Quoted from Filimurz:

The non stop balls were happening to my new okf and Dave of API was supplying me with new pcb’s in search of a solution. Although it doesn’t happen nearly as often as it was before the board replacements it will occasionally rear its ugly head without warning. If a ball is sticking in the trough due to magnetic attraction wouldn’t that prevent it from moving into the launch position and just cause a backup in the trough instead of an endless regurgitation of balls?

Logs can often shed light on this, so keep a USB handy, with no game code on it, and if this never ending serving of balls occurs, just grab the USB, stick into the USB cable in the cabinet (inside coin door) and send us what gets put on it.

#4650 3 years ago

Ferret, have ordered a new set of balls....since I could only find steel ones I presume they are subject to becoming magnetized, too??

Rosh, thanks, I will keep a blank thumb drive at the ready for the next episode of “Balls to the Wall”

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
Other
$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation
Rubber/Silicone
$ 7,795.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
Pinball Machine
$ 49.99
$ 8,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation
Pinball Machine
Playfield - Other
RavSpec
Other
There are 4,992 posts in this topic. You are on page 93 of 100.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/joe-balcer-confirms-oktoberfest-as-american-pinbals-next-pin/page/93?hl=filimurz and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.