(Topic ID: 224963)

Joe Balcer confirms Oktoberfest as American Pinball's next pin.

By PismoArcade

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 4,992 posts
  • 466 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Ferret
  • Topic is favorited by 79 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

8880f5e6998fb0663ff4a9a77f40c92eb6c125f2 (resized).png
okt (resized).jpg
59547925-ED73-4D13-9C0B-C0B4DB7F1F2C (resized).jpeg
20210418_173000 (resized).jpg
IMG_8199 (resized).jpg
20211127_232248 (resized).jpg
BLKFRIDAY2021 (1) (resized).png
16341706819071145026220657450351 (resized).jpg
AAAABWnlUYQGnwPYrDFi3t2ZJg8xDmhdqB2hGmDLTPnpLg4SjPq15X8P8IAl66bSXZXeQjCVgv9i_WrsIbMEvcUa9pH863X- (resized).jpg
20211006_190939 (resized).jpg
47cc5c7a51600f42dccc5022b9550eca8025c861 (resized).jpg
IMG_7361 (resized).jpg
IMG_7362 (resized).jpg
Okt upgraded coil stop - blue = new (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
20210620_160449 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 4,992 posts in this topic. You are on page 92 of 100.
#4551 3 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

Is the code similar to Houdini? Or is designed with a completely different feel?

Completely different.

#4552 3 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

Is the code similar to Houdini? Or is designed with a completely different feel?

All three of our games are very different rule wise, partially due to he layouts being so different and partially due to us not wanting to do the same things twice.

What they do have in common is a lot of breadth. Lots of different things to do and lots of different ways to approach the game, to give it longevity in a home collection.

Okto is pretty mode oriented, the steins with the powers and those relate to tents, just add so much to it. My strategy in using them changes and varies all the time.

What is great about the modes is how different each one is, as far as shots involved and objectives, given the unique layout with 20+ targets, and three flippers to go after them and all the other shots.

#4553 3 years ago

Everyone is different.

me: Oktoberfest will never leave here.

#4554 3 years ago

I played "Last Call" and "Re-Entry" today!!
(Failed at both)

I have no idea how I did it.
Anyone know how to light these last chance games?

#4555 3 years ago
Quoted from Hop-Pac:

I played "Last Call" and "Re-Entry" today!!
(Failed at both)
I have no idea how I did it.
Anyone know how to light these last chance games?

Glad to hear that you are enjoying your game. Nice.

#4556 3 years ago
Quoted from NoQuarters:

Glad to hear that you are enjoying your game. Nice.

Yeah. My son and I have been playing a ton
Loving Duck Derby!
Any ideas about how to light Last Call or Re Entry?

#4557 3 years ago
Quoted from Hop-Pac:

Yeah. My son and I have been playing a ton
Loving Duck Derby!
Any ideas about how to light Last Call or Re Entry?

The targets above the left and right inlanes

#4558 3 years ago

The ball saves? Do you have to hit them a specific number of times?

#4559 3 years ago
Quoted from Hop-Pac:

The ball saves? Do you have to hit them a specific number of times?

It is the third 'ball save' on each side, that gets you the mode, with the idea being, no more easy ball saves, now you now need to earn it. I think it takes 3 hits to earn the first save, but then each save is harder to earn. The setting 'Outlane Modes on Save Number' determines how many 'easy' ball saves you get before you have to earn it by beating the mode.

Picking up the appropriate stein, Kernenmeister I believe, makes it easier to earn the saves, each stein reduces the required shots needed for a save.

If you don't win the save, then the next ball save you will get the mode again.

#4560 3 years ago

Hi , thanks for the explain Rosh , I play the SOBER mode (2h19min) , but there is no insert light on the playfield , I think it's cool if the target we need shot heve the insert blinking
For my first stream Live , I mak it on Oktoberfest , not very good play but lot of fun and beer

#4561 3 years ago

Guys what is the easiest way to get 6 ball multi-ball going in Octoberfest?

#4562 3 years ago
Quoted from dannunz:

Take the glass off.

#4563 3 years ago

yoyokopter

(ok, will made it in english)

seems you had a bug :/

as in fact SOBER letters are blinking between the "good" ones in OKTOBER+FEST+PROST targets, and of course it goes lit when you hit a good one
the mode stop and you'll back to normal if you get all 5 of them, and the ball is over if you lose it

are you running last code version ? (think you should but... )

#4564 3 years ago
Quoted from yoyokopter:

there is no insert light on the playfield

I do occasionally see when the lights are not on in Sober mode. It is rare when it happens and looks like it may be some sort of bug in the code.

Quoted from dannunz:

Wait for a membrane switch to fail

To be honest i used to have issues with the failed membrane switches but the beta code has fixed all the problems i was seeing.

#4565 3 years ago
Quoted from t500:

I do occasionally see when the lights are not on in Sober mode. It is rare when it happens and looks like it may be some sort of bug in the code.

if you can't see the lights you are so far from being sober, they don't matter

I've seen this on rare occasion, but have not been able to replicate it, to be able to figure out what causes it.

#4566 3 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

if you can't see the lights you are so far from being sober, they don't matter
I've seen this on rare occasion, but have not been able to replicate it, to be able to figure out what causes it.

I've had this happen 3 times. Lights not lit but flippers were ok. And hits still counted

#4567 3 years ago

http://www.passionforpinball.com/oktoberfest.htm

Now on cliffys website with pictures.

#4568 3 years ago

well, pity about the scoop one, as the 4th side in the back is mainly the one being abuse by the ball...

than i know, you should have needeed to cover all that surface to avoid ball being blocked there when slowly coming back
and also, to be fair, i personaly dont mind that this side will more & more "marked" (well, will be back in 5000 more game to tell you lol)

anyway, nice job as always

#4569 3 years ago

Oktoberfest has landed in the game room!

#4570 3 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

Oktoberfest has landed in the game room!

Congrats! I am truly "jelly".

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the game as you enjoy it at home!

#4571 3 years ago
Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

Congrats! I am truly "jelly".
Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the game as you enjoy it at home!

Thanks, Tuna. Might take a few days to get set up... but am looking forward to it. I’ve been so impressed by Houdini from build to play, I have super high expectations!

#4572 3 years ago

From Facebook:

It’s OKTOBERFEST TIME‼️ Play a REAL-LIFE Oktoberfest pinball over the internet❗️

All you need is an internet connection and click the link to play❗️ https://www.surrogate.tv/game/oktoberfest

To celebrate, Surrogate.tv is hosting a TOURNAMENT (until August 28th) where the top 10 players will receive Oktoberfest themed prizes! To take part in the tournament see Proco's (community moderator) guide how to participate http://proco.me/oktoberfest/.

Join Suuogate.tv's #Discord to get all the updates first, chat with other players from around the world and be the first to hear about new game releases! discord.gg/surrogatetv

#4573 3 years ago
Quoted from Vegas9:

From Facebook:
It’s OKTOBERFEST TIME‼️ Play a REAL-LIFE Oktoberfest pinball over the internet❗️
All you need is an internet connection and click the link to play❗️ https://www.surrogate.tv/game/oktoberfest
To celebrate, Surrogate.tv is hosting a TOURNAMENT (until August 28th) where the top 10 players will receive Oktoberfest themed prizes! To take part in the tournament see Proco's (community moderator) guide how to participate http://proco.me/oktoberfest/.
Join Suuogate.tv's #Discord to get all the updates first, chat with other players from around the world and be the first to hear about new game releases! discord.gg/surrogatetv

Just tried to play this and unfortunately, the flipper delay was so great that it was unplayable. No game callouts or music either while I played. Could hear everything when others played though.

Disappointing as my internet speed is good.

#4574 3 years ago

Captured ball keeps getting hung up on the switch. Anyone else have this? I've tried moving the switch wire a bit. Still gets stuck. Really have to shake it to get it loose, uses all tilt warnings, and sometimes doesn't come loose. Any ideas

IMG_20200726_130546092 (resized).jpgIMG_20200726_130546092 (resized).jpg
#4575 3 years ago

Adjust it better. Some micro switch bodies can be loosened and turned slightly if the thing it fastens to has a slot or elongated hole.

Otherwise you need to bend the switch arm. Carefully. It may need a tweak or two to get it right. Ball rolls by yet switch still triggers. Bend past the body of the switch so you don't effect the flat part that pushes the knob into the switch body.

See the picture.

LTG : )

switchadjust (resized).JPGswitchadjust (resized).JPG
#4576 3 years ago

Thanks. I'll try to bend it there

#4577 3 years ago
Quoted from Ferret:

You've also got the cool MagNab feature that gives you TWO player controlled diverters -- and the button to control them is in comfortable reach of your right flipper finger!

Ok. I need some help with this feature. Where are the two magnab magnets... how do they act as diverters... how do I know when they can be activated?

I've played around 30 games... I must be missing someting!

#4578 3 years ago

heyo, I'm the proco mentioned here https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/joe-balcer-confirms-oktoberfest-as-american-pinbals-next-pin/page/92#post-5760694

I just played Surrogate's Oktoberfest and I noticed during the Stein Race tent mode it kept activating the mag nabs with each mag nab button press (which is the left flipper during this mode).
Does anyone know if this is the intended behavior? To me it seems weird that the magnets aren't deactivated during this mode, but maybe it's just a bug.

Here's the VOD.
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/692205512?t=02h16m30s

#4579 3 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

Ok. I need some help with this feature. Where are the two magnab magnets... how do they act as diverters... how do I know when they can be activated?
I've played around 30 games... I must be missing someting!

found the answer by rosh (post 3499):

"MagNab -- inlanes activate MagNabs for you at TAP lanes or upper flipper based on what is going on in the game. The MagNab lamps will be GREEN when the game is going to auto-grab for you. Based on speeds and other factors, sometimes the grab will be missed. If lamps are YELLOW, they you have control of the magnets via MagNabs, if the light is OFF, either you are out of magNabs (shoot newton/captive ball or right ramp, which ever is lit, to collect more) or for game reasons we have it disabled (pretty rare). MagNab lamps flash RED, when the magnets are active."

#4580 3 years ago
Quoted from proco:

heyo, I'm the proco mentioned here https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/joe-balcer-confirms-oktoberfest-as-american-pinbals-next-pin/page/92#post-5760694
I just played Surrogate's Oktoberfest and I noticed during the Stein Race tent mode it kept activating the mag nabs with each "left flipper" (ie. mag nab button) press.
Does anyone know if this is the intended behavior? To me it seems weird that the magnets aren't deactivated during this mode, but maybe it's just a bug.
Here's the VOD.
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/692205512?t=02h16m30s

no, its intended, as the 2 rights buttons control the 2 flippers, than the magnet control is on the left button

#4581 3 years ago

i dont believe it... 48 minutes to finish at just 1M to my son hi-score !!! same with ducks he's got 367, i get 365...
lol of course
and my fault as i tilted a great ball of something like 15 minutes, i even didnt wanna know how much bonus points were in there (well, i want !!!)

WP_20200728_18_31_59_Pro (resized).jpgWP_20200728_18_31_59_Pro (resized).jpg

edit : well Joe, this has been already said, but why not adding this nice feature to spot how much points were in bonus when you've just tilted the pin

#4582 3 years ago

A friend swung by to play my Oktoberfest for his first time. His expectations were low as he didn’t know much about it, even though I had been talking it up. After playing it for awhile, he changed his tune...loved the layout, loved the rules, loved the fact that it wasn’t a cookie-cutter game. It’s funny how preconceived opinions can get in the way of giving a game a chance...but it goes to show ya that this game is a lot of fun when ya give it a chance! Thanks again API! Great staying power for the game!

#4583 3 years ago

Ferret Think I found a bug in juggling. If the food stand is open (can’t recall if the drop was down or not) and you play juggling, the shot to the center will only count if it goes in the hole, not the drop like it usually does.

#4584 3 years ago

Heh, nice... I'm guessing that's left over from when that drop target was originally up/down controllable, so it probably thinks the target is already down and ignores the drop hit. Thanks, added to the to-do list.

#4585 3 years ago
Quoted from RipleYYY:

no, its intended, as the 2 rights buttons control the 2 flippers, than the magnet control is on the left button

Edited my post after your reply to make it a bit clearer. I pressed the mag nab button (which is mapped to right shift) to use the left flipper during the mode, but it also kept activating the magnets while flipping, so all my mag nabs were gone in a few seconds. I did not use the left flipper button.

#4586 3 years ago
Quoted from proco:

Edited my post after your reply to make it a bit clearer. I pressed the mag nab button (which is mapped to right shift) to use the left flipper during the mode, but it also kept activating the magnets while flipping, so all my mag nabs were gone in a few seconds. I did not use the left flipper button.

than as you've understand, its not OK as you've explained/edited...

#4587 3 years ago

also, about my score and to all OF home owners : already told about the right outlane really eating balls (much more than the left), i've just removed the 2 rubbers on the metal posts entry to shooterlane back/safe ball, now i feel this more balanced & enjoyable (of course logically making the game a bit easier)

#4588 3 years ago

Is there a way to make the tent modes randomly selected when you hit the scoop, as opposed to user selected?

I think I’d prefer that to selecting myself

#4589 3 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

Is there a way to make the tent modes randomly selected when you hit the scoop, as opposed to user selected?
I think I’d prefer that to selecting myself

pity in a way, as this is really tactic if you wanna try to score high
but i can understand if you wanna just play to... play

in fact the game will always propose the "better" for you (mainly, i suppose, the one connected to the last STEIN you've collected)

#4590 3 years ago
Quoted from RipleYYY:

pity in a way, as this is really tactic if you wanna try to score high
but i can understand if you wanna just play to... play
in fact the game will always propose the "better" for you (mainly, i suppose, the one connected to the last STEIN you've collected)

It’s the part of the game that feels sluggish to me. I think I’d like the excitement factor of randomness.

#4591 3 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

It’s the part of the game that feels sluggish to me. I think I’d like the excitement factor of randomness.

That is the only thing holding me back from buying one without getting some games on it first. Not sure if I'd like having to pause and flip through screens during play.

I love the look and layout of the game.

#4592 3 years ago

It’s not a deal breaker for me, at all. I get the intent (no pun intended , you’re at Oktoberfest, wandering around and visiting tents.

I haven’t spent enough time dissecting it, but if the first tent option presented to the player is always randomized, then you could literally double flip and play. @rosh, is that how it’s coded?

#4593 3 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

It’s not a deal breaker for me, at all. I get the intent (no pun intended , you’re at Oktoberfest, wandering around and visiting tents.
I haven’t spent enough time dissecting it, but if the first tent option presented to the player is always randomized, then you could literally double flip and play. rosh, is that how it’s coded?

Top secret algorithm, so can’t say.

I don’t recall exactly, but rule one is a tent you have not yet played that you have a stein for. So invariably just taking what is offered is probably good, but the strategy and fun is from choosing.

#4594 3 years ago

Right, it’s not exactly random, but feel free to just blindly double-flip anytime the game wants you to choose a tent or stein.

#4595 3 years ago
Quoted from Ferret:

Right, it’s not exactly random, but feel free to just blindly double-flip anytime the game wants you to choose a tent or stein.

Would be fun to have a double flip give you a fast "wheel of fortune" type spinner annimation that randomly lands on a tent.

#4596 3 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

Would be fun to have a double flip give you a fast "wheel of fortune" type spinner annimation that randomly lands on a tent.

not in the regular gamepaly, it will slow the game even more

but i understand your POV, and yes it could be fun when you're playing only for... fun

than why not (but Joe will have to code even more) having a "fun edition" in the game setup, with :

* a wheel of fortune for the mode
* a direct random STEIN, no player choice/waste of time here

#4597 3 years ago

Joe/Josh

today, tried a new tactic, initially go for bonus multiplicator steins at max, and than in the same time finishing a mode before taking another one (and than hoping for big bonus), game goes quite well as i ended with 67M

now, a ask : i've fully completed 10 modes before playing FLIPPER MEISTER, and than missed to complete the 3 remaining
if succeding to finish these last 3, does FLIPPER MEISTER will be available again ? and than what else ?

#4598 3 years ago
Quoted from RipleYYY:

Joe/Josh
today, tried a new tactic, initially go for bonus multiplicator steins at max, and than in the same time finishing a mode before taking another one (and than hoping for big bonus), game goes quite well as i ended with 67M
now, a ask : i've fully completed 10 modes before playing FLIPPER MEISTER, and than missed to complete the 3 remaining
if succeding to finish these last 3, does FLIPPER MEISTER will be available again ? and than what else ?

Yes, playing all modes lights Flipper Meister. After you play that, you can play all the modes again. There is no final wizard mode in the game (yet) so just keep going for modes or try for stein slinging or calorie coma.

#4599 3 years ago
Quoted from GrandFireball1:

Yes, playing all modes lights Flipper Meister. After you play that, you can play all the modes again. There is no final wizard mode in the game (yet) so just keep going for modes or try for stein slinging or calorie coma.

yes i know
you missunderstand my ask (or let's admit my english is not so-so lol)

than, let's do it again :

i've got to FM & played it, with 10 modes completed, and than 3 started but not completed
than after FM, only these remaining 3 are available
ask : if i complete these last 3, did i get FM directly available again ?
or should i understand there's nothing, and all modes are than OFF to start all over again ?

#4600 3 years ago
Quoted from RipleYYY:

yes i know
you missunderstand my ask (or let's admit my english is not so-so lol)
than, let's do it again :
i've got to FM & played it, with 10 modes completed, and than 3 started but not completed
than after FM, only these remaining 3 are available
ask : if i complete these last 3, did i get FM directly available again ?
or should i understand there's nothing, and all modes are than OFF to start all over again ?

After you get to FM the first time, you will have to play every mode again to reach FM a 2nd time, regardless if you completed the mode prior

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 7,899.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro
Pinball Machine
$ 39.99
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation
Decorations
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Machine - For Sale
Wallingford, CT
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 8,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation
Pinball Machine
$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation
Rubber/Silicone
$ 7,795.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
Pinball Machine
There are 4,992 posts in this topic. You are on page 92 of 100.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/joe-balcer-confirms-oktoberfest-as-american-pinbals-next-pin/page/92?hl=etnfrd67 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.