(Topic ID: 224963)

Joe Balcer confirms Oktoberfest as American Pinball's next pin.

By PismoArcade

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 4,992 posts
  • 466 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Ferret
  • Topic is favorited by 79 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

8880f5e6998fb0663ff4a9a77f40c92eb6c125f2 (resized).png
okt (resized).jpg
59547925-ED73-4D13-9C0B-C0B4DB7F1F2C (resized).jpeg
20210418_173000 (resized).jpg
IMG_8199 (resized).jpg
20211127_232248 (resized).jpg
BLKFRIDAY2021 (1) (resized).png
16341706819071145026220657450351 (resized).jpg
AAAABWnlUYQGnwPYrDFi3t2ZJg8xDmhdqB2hGmDLTPnpLg4SjPq15X8P8IAl66bSXZXeQjCVgv9i_WrsIbMEvcUa9pH863X- (resized).jpg
20211006_190939 (resized).jpg
47cc5c7a51600f42dccc5022b9550eca8025c861 (resized).jpg
IMG_7361 (resized).jpg
IMG_7362 (resized).jpg
Okt upgraded coil stop - blue = new (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
20210620_160449 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 4,992 posts in this topic. You are on page 91 of 100.
#4501 3 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

I'm guessing he still hasn't received the part(s) he needs from AP. Hang in there hop-pac they'll get you going again!

Hop-Pac if that is true. Please bug them. I am sorry for anything that got delayed and screwed up beyond belief. Even in the best of times crap happens. More so because of shut downs and people trying to work from home.

Call them, open a new ticket on their support desk - https://www.american-pinball.com/support/service/ send PMs to rosh Ferret Vegas9 and their new tech guy Dave :

Dave Brennan brenna98
Technical Services Manager
[email protected]
Phone: (833) API-HELP / (833) 274-4357

I know the ball should be in their court. But please keep bugging them. Oktoberfest is a great game and I agree you should be enjoying it.

If you are tired of trying. PM me your contact info and I'll try for you.

LTG : )

#4502 3 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Call them, open a new ticket on their support desk - https://www.american-pinball.com/support/service/ send PMs to rosh ferret vegas9 and their new tech guy Barry that posts here.

Dave @brenn98 is the new Tech Services guy, Barry is at JJP now - I know you actually know this but just clarifying for anyone else that reads this, no one expects even minor mistakes from LTG!!

#4503 3 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

Dave @brenn98 is the new Tech Services guy, Barry is at JJP now - I know you actually know this but just clarifying for anyone else that reads this, no one expects even minor mistakes from LTG!!

It's been a long day. I edited in Dave but forgot to remove Barry. I'll do that next.

All these guys playing musical chairs/companies, it's hard to remember them all. Especially when someone needs help.

Thank you !

#4504 3 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

hop-pac if that is true. Please bug them. I am sorry for anything that got delayed and screwed up beyond belief. Even in the best of times crap happens. More so because of shut downs and people trying to work from home.
Call them, open a new ticket on their support desk - https://www.american-pinball.com/support/service/ send PMs to rosh ferret vegas9 and their new tech guy Dave :
Dave Brennan brenna98
Technical Services Manager
[email protected]
Phone: (833) API-HELP / (833) 274-4357
I know the ball should be in their court. But please keep bugging them. Oktoberfest is a great game and I agree you should be enjoying it.
If you are tired of trying. PM me your contact info and I'll try for you.

really hard to believe someone has not personally called this guy to get this resolved.

#4505 3 years ago
Quoted from woody76:

really hard to believe someone has not personally called this guy to get this resolved.

Crap happens. Maybe they tried. Maybe he fell through the cracks.

This is where it's at now.

Can AP or anyone still help ?

#4506 3 years ago
Quoted from woody76:

Earlier posts in this thread show AP has seen this on Pinside and has shown concern:

Quoted from Vegas9:

hop-Pac, Sorry for your trouble with your Oktoberferst. Have you opened a Service Request Ticket?

And show that AP has issued Service Request Ticket SR-6379 and AP is waiting for the part needed to get his game running again:

Quoted from brenna98:

I'm on top of it, SR-6379. It's an individual part within a power supply. We needed to order this from our supplier, and expect it to arrive this week. As soon as it does, I'll have a tracking number for the shipment to you. Please contact me directly on my API email for status updates. It can be difficult to cross reference a pinside name with your actual name and Service Request number.

#4507 3 years ago
Quoted from brenna98:

I'm still on top of it, SR-6379. It's an individual part within a power supply. We needed to order this from our supplier, and expect it to arrive this week. As soon as it does, i'll have a tracking number for the shipment to you.

For the future, please contact me directly on my API email for status updates. It can be difficult to cross reference a pinside name with your actual name and Service Request number.

Dave - it's been 7 days - please contact your customer Hop-Pac . Do you have his part ?

I'll send Dave an email too.

#4508 3 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

I'll send Dave an email too.

Email sent. I hope Hop-Pac gets the part/help he needs.

#4509 3 years ago

No one from American has responded to email or phone or voicemail for several days. This seems to be the only place I get them to notice. I would like the money back that I sent on June 23. Game is sale pending. I'm Done with American Pinball

#4510 3 years ago
Quoted from Hop-Pac:

I'm Done with American Pinball

I'm sorry.

LTG : (

#4511 3 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

I'm sorry.

I appreciate your trying to help me

#4512 3 years ago

The last correspondence I got from AP was on June 22 when I sent them money

#4513 3 years ago

Hop-Pac, I am sincerely very sorry for what happened and for the frustration this has caused you. I am researching what happened. I will send you a PM.

#4514 3 years ago
Quoted from Hop-Pac:

The last correspondence I got from AP was on June 22 when I sent them money

why did you have to send them money? no warranty?

#4515 3 years ago
Quoted from woody76:

Warranty is not transferable

#4516 3 years ago
Quoted from Hop-Pac:

Warranty is not transferable

Sucks you didnt get the service you needed. Seems they have been very responsive previously.

#4517 3 years ago

Dave told me the part needed to be ordered. But this is the same power supply being used in Hot Wheels so they have them. I don't understand why someone couldn't pull a power supply off the assembly line, remove the 48v section, put it in a box, and mail it. And when that part came in from the supplier, put that part back in the power supply that it was taken from and return it to the line for assembly. Instead they lost a current and future customer

#4518 3 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

Sucks you didnt get the service you needed.

Crap happens. And sadly this time it hurt a customer. Losing a customer is the worst. No matter how hard a company tries. I don't work for AP, yet I feel bad.

I just wish there was something more I could do or say.

Sorry Hop-Pac.

#4519 3 years ago

Sorry to hear your frustration. Wish I were closer. I'd try to help you out if I could, or at least plop the cash in your hands.

Maybe AP can still resolve this for you by expediting some how. Hang in there if you can...

Darn - wish I were closer. That would be one long drive.

Best of Luck.

#4520 3 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

Currently that driver does nothing and is inactive in code.

Thanks for the answer , I hope that driver will be active in the futur code

#4521 3 years ago
Quoted from woody76:

I didn't realize you weren't the original buyer, how old is the game?

#4522 3 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

I didn't realize you weren't the original buyer, how old is the game?

IMG_20200708_005305978 (resized).jpgIMG_20200708_005305978 (resized).jpgIMG_20200708_005845541 (resized).jpgIMG_20200708_005845541 (resized).jpg
#4523 3 years ago

I finally heard back from AP. It's a shame that it had to be taken this far. They are supposed to overnight the part to me. I'm going to give them one final chance. So I have pulled the for sale ad. Thank you to all that pm'd interest in buying. I'm sorry to those who still interested. I just hope I'm not sorry for making this decision

#4524 3 years ago
Quoted from Hop-Pac:

I finally heard back from AP. It's a shame that it had to be taken this far. They are supposed to overnight the part to me. I'm going to give them one final chance. So I have pulled the for sale ad. Thank you to all that pm'd interest in buying. I'm sorry to those who still interested. I just hope I'm not sorry for making this decision

Glad to hear you're giving it one more shot. I hope you finally get to enjoy your game!

#4525 3 years ago
Quoted from Hop-Pac:

I think you are doing the right thing.

#4526 3 years ago
Quoted from Hop-Pac:

well, OF is a great pinball, for sure !
and i'm not a fan/haters, as i just like a lot of pins, no matter who makes them...

of course, easy to say when all is going OK, that's the case with mine
and than i understand your frustration... let's hope all this goes in the right way, and if yes, than enjoy

#4527 3 years ago
Quoted from Hop-Pac:

Good - hang in there till the part comes and hopefully you'll be up and running soon. Hope it's all smooth sailing ahead.

#4528 3 years ago
Quoted from Hop-Pac:

I'm going to give them one final chance.

Thank you !

Thank you for letting them try and make things right.

Quoted from Hop-Pac:

I just hope I'm not sorry for making this decision

Once you are enjoying your game, will help a lot.

#4529 3 years ago
Quoted from Hop-Pac:

Sorries and excuses don't get your game running. It's my fault for not making sure a tracking number was issued to you prior to me going camping this past week. When I saw the for sale ad, I knew I/API messed up bad. I will do better in the future. I'm still learning what levers I can pull and buttons to push to make this service ship go faster and be more efficient.

#4530 3 years ago
Quoted from brenna98:

Sorries and excuses don't get your game running. It's my fault for not making sure a tracking number was issued to you prior to me going camping this past week. When I saw the for sale ad, I knew I/API messed up bad. I will do better in the future. I'm still learning what levers I can pull and buttons to push to make this service ship go faster and be more efficient.

We are human. API Comes through and I'm sure hes gonna be flippin happy real soon!

#4531 3 years ago

Question for owners that have Oktoberfest and WOZ... when I played OF at a show, I immediately noticed the shot up the middle (with the drop target and VUK) as being similar to WOZ. There's some other feels to the game that has a similar sameness.

Do any owners of both feel this overlap? Just wondering if having both in a lineup with have redundancy.

#4532 3 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

There's some other feels to the game that has a similar sameness.

Both Joe Balcer designs.

#4533 3 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Both Joe Balcer designs.

Yes. I generally try to avoid having games with too similar if a layout in the collection at the same time. Just wondering how owners of both feel about similarities when side by side.

#4534 3 years ago
Quoted from Hop-Pac:

So glad you are going keep it and enjoy this great game

#4535 3 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

Yes. I generally try to avoid having games with too similar if a layout in the collection at the same time. Just wondering how owners of both feel about similarities when side by side.

I have WOZ, not OKT however at no point when playing either have I thought it plays anything like the other. Now occasionally the Milkcan shot on Houdini makes me think of the Crystal Ball shot on WOZ but that's where the similarities end between those two as well.

#4536 3 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

I have WOZ, not OKT however at no point when playing either have I thought it plays anything like the other. Now occasionally the Milkcan shot on Houdini makes me think of the Crystal Ball shot on WOZ but that's where the similarities end between those two as well.

I agree with that!

#4537 3 years ago

I don’t play my Oktoberfest enough. Yet it’s not even close to being on the chopping block. I really, really enjoy the layout, rules, and build quality

#4538 3 years ago
Quoted from Hop-Pac:

[quoted image][quoted image]

Yours lasted longer than mine, the computer in my new one died after 6 months. After a pain in the ass getting a new one and always wondering how long this computer is going to last, I said enough and sold it. I loved the game but I don't think I could own one again. Really wanted a Hot Wheels but chose TMNT.

#4539 3 years ago

Part came overnight, and with some swag. I put the 48v section in and it seems to be working fine now.
I'm coming back around and loving this game again.
I only have 20-25 games played and I'm still trying to figure things out. Probably going to have lots of questions for you guys

Thanks to AP for making this right

IMG_20200711_133610243 (resized).jpgIMG_20200711_133610243 (resized).jpg
#4540 3 years ago

Very happy to hear, @hop-pac. I hope the game stays problem-free and brings you many years of enjoyment!

And hey, I haven't even gotten one of those T-shirts, and I programmed the thing!

Prost!

#4541 3 years ago

I’m thinking long and hard about bringing an OF into my collection. I’ve played the game once (Allentown).

Sell me on it!

#4542 3 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

I’m thinking long and hard about bringing an OF into my collection. I’ve played the game once (Allentown).

Sell me on it!

Nah. Why buy a great game. That is well built. Lots of fun. Lots of stuff to do. And you'll likely make it a permanent game in your collection.

Why the hell do you want that kind of great pinball, entertainment, and fun ?

Disclaimer : You sold yet ? You should be.

#4543 3 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

Sell me on it!

Based off your collection you are willing to try something that isn't "Stern". I own the latest and greatest from Stern, and I enjoy TMNT, but there's just SO DAMN MUCH going on Oktoberfest. I sold my Dialed In LE (and i'm a big Lawlor fan) for this pin and really enjoy it! I lucked out playing it at Expo 2 years ago when it got announced and am happy with my purchase.
Play it again for an hour or two and make your decision. I think you'd be surprised how much you, friends, and family would enjoy it in a home environment.

#4544 3 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

Sell me on it!

Well, for starters, there's something about the theme I really dig ...
ac1586eb2b336598bfb389472c2cbc03ba9597f3 (resized).jpgac1586eb2b336598bfb389472c2cbc03ba9597f3 (resized).jpg

#4545 3 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

Sell me on it!

Thats not too hard,everyone says it will never get old with 14 tent modes! The rollercoaster and beer barrel shots are extremly satisfying. I have to warn you I think its sorta difficult or complicated for some people, it can also ne frustratung. Thats what keeps me coming back and makes me a better player though. If you are into flowy cinch games you may not like this. It requires strategy and shot skills.

#4546 3 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

Sell me on it!

Gotta start off with the really unique layout. This is not a game where all the shots are in exactly the same location as 3 other games in a collection. You've got closer shots, farther shots, 3 (at least) shots off the upper flipper, an orbit that transforms into a ramp, tons of targets to shoot for, and even a third slingshot. (And one of the modes rewards you for intentionally shooting that extra slingshot!) You've also got the cool MagNab feature that gives you TWO player controlled diverters -- and the button to control them is in comfortable reach of your right flipper finger!

Oktoberfest is truly a "never play it the same way twice" sort of game. You can collect an infinite number of steins that stack on each other to transform the game. Sometimes it's fun to go "all in" on one stein, max it out and try to really blow up one feature of the game. The next game you might prefer to spread action around to different steins to get more of a balance of scoring opportunities. These choices become extra fun when you're competing against other people who are familiar with the game, because you might look at the choices that someone is making and think "huh, how's that gonna work out?" ... and then (assuming they execute on it well ) a whole new approach to the game unfolds before you. Then you need to figure out if the strategy you had planned will be enough to counter your opponent's approach, or if you need to change things up.

You know that feeling on a game when you've been carefully setting up the perfect stack of a mode + a multiball + a frenzy + 2X scoring, and it's all right where you want it, then you make the key shot(s) to start it all up and points are flying and it feels great? That's what Oktoberfest is all about from the first launch of a ball... setting up the right opportunities, lighting the fuse when ready, and making your plan all come together.

Of course, you don't have to be a chess master to enjoy the game. There's a ton of tents (modes) and features that use every part of the playfield and are really fun to shoot, and anyone can have a great time just following the time-honored "shoot the flashing lights" strategy. But IMHO, especially when you have the game in your home and you can play it every day, it's really the steins that elevate the game from a solid "modes + multiballs" game into something unlike any other pin.

And last but not least: one handed mode. It is a hilarious party game to switch Oktoberfest to one-handed mode (where both flippers are activated from the right-side buttons). Pretty much no one has practice playing pinball that way, so it's a lot of fun when you have players of all skill levels trying to master this new insanity. Bonus points if you are actually holding a stein full of good beer in your left hand while you play, as we intended when designing that.

Have I convinced you yet? I can keep this up all night...

#4547 3 years ago
Quoted from Ferret:

...Have I convinced you yet? I can keep this up all night...

since i have mine & talking about it on french forum (France + Belgium), while also being taken seriously as a good player advice :

1 guy did bought it
1 ordered it
2 are really thinking of getting it
1 want mine in a temporay swap-play with his JP LE
and 2 others guys are coming home later today to check/discover/play mine

now API have to make me a gift (lol inside) ...

#4548 3 years ago
Quoted from Ferret:

Gotta start off with the really unique layout. This is not a game where all the shots are in exactly the same location as 3 other games in a collection. You've got closer shots, farther shots, 3 (at least) shots off the upper flipper, an orbit that transforms into a ramp, tons of targets to shoot for, and even a third slingshot. (And one of the modes rewards you for intentionally shooting that extra slingshot!) You've also got the cool MagNab feature that gives you TWO player controlled diverters -- and the button to control them is in comfortable reach of your right flipper finger!
Oktoberfest is truly a "never play it the same way twice" sort of game. You can collect an infinite number of steins that stack on each other to transform the game. Sometimes it's fun to go "all in" on one stein, max it out and try to really blow up one feature of the game. The next game you might prefer to spread action around to different steins to get more of a balance of scoring opportunities. These choices become extra fun when you're competing against other people who are familiar with the game, because you might look at the choices that someone is making and think "huh, how's that gonna work out?" ... and then (assuming they execute on it well ) a whole new approach to the game unfolds before you. Then you need to figure out if the strategy you had planned will be enough to counter your opponent's approach, or if you need to change things up.
You know that feeling on a game when you've been carefully setting up the perfect stack of a mode + a multiball + a frenzy + 2X scoring, and it's all right where you want it, then you make the key shot(s) to start it all up and points are flying and it feels great? That's what Oktoberfest is all about from the first launch of a ball... setting up the right opportunities, lighting the fuse when ready, and making your plan all come together.
Of course, you don't have to be a chess master to enjoy the game. There's a ton of tents (modes) and features that use every part of the playfield and are really fun to shoot, and anyone can have a great time just following the time-honored "shoot the flashing lights" strategy. But IMHO, especially when you have the game in your home and you can play it every day, it's really the steins that elevate the game from a solid "modes + multiballs" game into something unlike any other pin.
And last but not least: one handed mode. It is a hilarious party game to switch Oktoberfest to one-handed mode (where both flippers are activated from the right-side buttons). Pretty much no one has practice playing pinball that way, so it's a lot of fun when you have players of all skill levels trying to master this new insanity. Bonus points if you are actually holding a stein full of good beer in your left hand while you play, as we intended when designing that.

Is the code similar to Houdini? Or is designed with a completely different feel?

#4549 3 years ago

Hey my game doesn't work either! I'm sure one of those t-shirts will get it humming again!

#4550 3 years ago
Quoted from Ferret:

Well said, and I would also add that although seemingly adult, it IS VERY kid and family friendly. My 5 y/o LOVES to play it over all the other games, and walks around quoting some of her call outs regularly. "Oh, look at the little weiner dog, he's to scared to go down the slide. (In accent of course.)"

Quoted from Ferret:

Very happy to hear, hop-pac. I hope the game stays problem-free and brings you many years of enjoyment!
And hey, I haven't even gotten one of those T-shirts, and I programmed the thing!
Prost!

AP needs to make more of those shirts!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
8,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dixon, CA
$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 140.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 7,795.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 8,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

Machine - For Sale
Queen Creek, AZ
$ 11.99
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

$ 7,899.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 129.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 39.99
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

$ 7,795.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

There are 4,992 posts in this topic. You are on page 91 of 100.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/joe-balcer-confirms-oktoberfest-as-american-pinbals-next-pin/page/91?hl=pokerjake and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.