(Topic ID: 224963)

Joe Balcer confirms Oktoberfest as American Pinball's next pin.

By PismoArcade

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 4,992 posts
  • 466 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Ferret
  • Topic is favorited by 79 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

8880f5e6998fb0663ff4a9a77f40c92eb6c125f2 (resized).png
okt (resized).jpg
59547925-ED73-4D13-9C0B-C0B4DB7F1F2C (resized).jpeg
20210418_173000 (resized).jpg
IMG_8199 (resized).jpg
20211127_232248 (resized).jpg
BLKFRIDAY2021 (1) (resized).png
16341706819071145026220657450351 (resized).jpg
AAAABWnlUYQGnwPYrDFi3t2ZJg8xDmhdqB2hGmDLTPnpLg4SjPq15X8P8IAl66bSXZXeQjCVgv9i_WrsIbMEvcUa9pH863X- (resized).jpg
20211006_190939 (resized).jpg
47cc5c7a51600f42dccc5022b9550eca8025c861 (resized).jpg
IMG_7361 (resized).jpg
IMG_7362 (resized).jpg
Okt upgraded coil stop - blue = new (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
20210620_160449 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 4,992 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 100.
#351 5 years ago

Nm

#352 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Tons of children and families at Oktoberfest
You should attend before you comment.

Agreed, in fact the one time we went it was during the day (Air France went on strike and screwed up our plans to spend multiple days there) and I even commented to my wife that there was WAY less drinking going on than I expected. We made some friends with a great group of people from Dusseldorf that let us squat at their table in one of the tents for a while, enjoyed the beer, food and atmosphere a lot!

#353 5 years ago

So has anyone tried to draw up a guess on the overhead layout of Oktoberfest based on the teaser photo?

A lot of interesting looking items on that teaser. Assuming the image is taken from near the shooter lane:

- left ramp
- left scoop
- side ramp (fed by upper right flipper I assume)
- 5 stand up targets on the right
- not sure what is going on in the back right - ball lock of some sort?
- right orbit
- insert outlines
- wireforms everywhere!

I tried drawing a sketch of an overhead layout but it looks like a three year old drew it.

Screen-Shot-2018-09-09-at-3.22.58-PM.pngScreen-Shot-2018-09-09-at-3.22.58-PM.png
#354 5 years ago
Quoted from pin2d:

So has anyone tried to draw up a guess on the overhead layout of Oktoberfest based on the teaser photo?
A lot of interesting looking items on that teaser. Assuming the image is taken from near the shooter lane:
- left ramp
- left scoop
- side ramp (fed by upper right flipper I assume)
- 5 stand up targets on the right
- not sure what is going on in the back right - ball lock of some sort?
- right orbit
- insert outlines
- wireforms everywhere!
I tried drawing a sketch of an overhead layout but it looks like a three year old drew it.
[quoted image]

I can only make out three busty women wearing dirndls, a dancing guy in lederhosen, and about 6 steins of foamy beer in that pic. Why would an Oktoberfest game have anything else?!

#355 5 years ago

I'm loving the idea of this pin.

#356 5 years ago
Quoted from pbu:

I'm loving the idea of this pin.

Me too!

I suppose as far as family friendly, everybody is part of some family.

3551626 (resized).jpg3551626 (resized).jpg
#357 5 years ago

Can’t an adult or family setting be used the way rob zombie does?That way you could have a family friendly game but the option of switching to adult mode where there’s something like...motorboat beer maiden mode or the game curses at you in German for draining or missing a shot. real curse words aren’t even necessary. Some German words are funny without even being “curse words” . Schweinhund comes to mind. Although I know in Germany it’s used as an insult....
It’s one of my all time favorite German words!

#358 5 years ago

It should have lot's of real German words.

How insulting to the German people to think American Pinball could not have hired voice talent that speaks German.....

The soundtrack should be all in German too:

#359 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

When I watch "Das Boot" I always have German audio with English c/c

#360 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Ramstein must have really wanted an excuse to do blackface, huh?

#361 5 years ago

I'd much prefer at least mostly German audio.

#362 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

How insulting to the German people to think American Pinball could not have hired voice talent that speaks German.....

Sidetrack.

I see what you did there ; another great side-theme video reference (Beerfest got the thumbs up here ). So I have to call it out again. Rammstein would be an amazing pin theme . Rammstein has a rich history of hit songs and videos. This one too.

That's another pinball theme I can get behind!

#363 5 years ago

dp

#364 5 years ago

Good suggestion, but they've already stated it's meant to be a family-friendly pin.

#365 5 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

The stage door is pretty innovative. I cant think of another pin that has this.

The door part that opens and closes is similar to BDK's coffee can. So, maybe inspiration, but the stage curtain effect is much better.

#366 5 years ago
Quoted from mcbPalisade:

When I watch "Das Boot"

was that the movie with the submarine named 'red october fest' ??

#367 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

7 dwarves meet sleeping beauty?
Very family friendly in a Grimm fairy tales sorta way?

#368 5 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

I'd much prefer at least mostly German audio.

Blaupunkt?

#369 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Tons of children and families at Oktoberfest

You should attend before you comment.

Read my previous post. I have. Have you?

#370 5 years ago
Quoted from Tucks:

Oktoberfest? More like Yawnfest. Ridiculous theme for a pinball machine. Not family friendly therefore will limit home sales and operator sales. Maybe it's done in such a small run of machines it doesn't matter but that aside, still a terrible theme.

I don’t quite understand how a pin could be “Yawnfest” and at the same time not be family friendly? I’ve been to Oktoberfest in Munich twice.. it seemed pretty family friendly to me. At least there were clearly lots of families during the daytime. We were in the Hofbrauhaus (loving the Dunkel! I wish it tasted the same when it’s imported to the States).

Night time might be a different story I suppose.

#371 5 years ago

It was a play on words really/a bit 'tongue in cheek' and hopefully it will be a good shooter. I like all pins and fingers crossed this will be a good one. I just didn't think the theme was great but clearly a lot on here do so hopefully I will be proved wrong. I have only been to the evening drinking at Oktoberfest and it is far from family friendly, which was what I was getting at. Time will tell and like I said, I hope I am proved wrong on the theme front.

#372 5 years ago

Instead of a family and adult setting AP should do a day and night setting! Really looking forward to seeing the game.

#373 5 years ago
Quoted from Only_Pinball:

Instead of a family and adult setting AP should do a day and night setting! Really looking forward to seeing the game.

Midnight Madness Throwup Multiball. Every target is a Person wich pukes when you hit it ans the surrounding inserts turn green.
When the whole playfield is green you get jackpot and you have to clean it again before the morning rises/ multiball is over for super jackpot.

#374 5 years ago

I think a midnight madness mode (or any kind of secret time-based mode) would be really cool to include!

#375 5 years ago

I foresee a diner type game. "This order for this person" and what not. Could be cool. Every one loves diner, taxi...just another type of theme like that I think they are going for.

#376 5 years ago

So much potential. Mini games such as beer stein races, hammerschlagen, masskrugstemmen, log sawing etc... . Kickass octoberfest classic music like Ein Prosit, Fliegerlied, and Iha Iha Iha Oh. The art package could be tremendous...so much could be done with this.

t (resized).jpgt (resized).jpg
#377 5 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

So much potential. ... The art package could be tremendous...so much could be done with this.
[quoted image]

Totally agree! Lots of opportunity for creativity beyond just "big boobed women and beer" that the naysayers can only envision as part of an Oktoberfest theme. I'm confident that AP will capture the total spirit of the festival in another fun and beautiful game!

No pressure though Joe, Josh & AP team.

#378 5 years ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

Midnight Madness Throwup Multiball. Every target is a Person wich pukes when you hit it ans the surrounding inserts turn green.
When the whole playfield is green you get jackpot and you have to clean it again before the morning rises/ multiball is over for super jackpot.

#379 5 years ago

Geez, does everything these days have to be (or have an option) to be family friendly? Can't we have some "adult time"? We don't take our kids to Oktoberfest...for one, they are not really interested in it because the type of entertainment there is not really geared towards them...but I get that people do take kids, and that's ok. There's activities and places for the kiddies that we take them to...amusement parks, etc... but there are things that we do that don't involve the kids. A heck of a lot of stuff they see on the TV and the smartphones are a bit more.. er..."not family friendly?"...than a pinball machine featuring some beer drinking humor and lightly risque Bavarian dress code.

#380 5 years ago
Quoted from Tucks:

Read my previous post. I have. Have you?

Many times.

(well, maybe not many, but 4 times)

#381 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I think a midnight madness mode (or any kind of secret time-based mode) would be really cool to include!

Great idea.

But it has to be the time in Germany, so Midnight might come at 6pm

#382 5 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

Geez, does everything these days have to be (or have an option) to be family friendly?

Fnck families.

I've got lot's of adult pins like Sexy Girl and Playboy.

When I have parties, kids don't even look at them (or any pin for that matter).

They go straight to the Xbox, Mortal Kombat or Galaga

#383 5 years ago

Our goal is to find the right balance in what is presented, but we plan to have a setting for 'adult content'. Obviously all of our definitions for what 'adult content' means will vary, and even then it certainly won't go as far as some of you would like (I will not name names). We will obviously be focusing on 'family friendly' when we first release the game.

Beer is a part of Oktoberfest, like it is in most households and most fall, winter and summer festivals, including 'old home days' where I live, which his sort of like a mini-oktoberfest, featuring a beer tent, food tent, music performances, carnival rides and a midway, as well as many other things. So there are modes in the game that are about beer, however, a large part of the game is focused on the other things that are part of Oktoberfest, which is more of a fall festival, than a drunken free for all.

As we look to get more humor into the game, that is when things will turn less family friendly, but that is what the the 'adult content' setting is for. But again, we will only take it so far and some of that humor and content will not be there on day one.

Some of the ideas thrown out here are in the game or planned to be included, others are not. However, you never know, some have potential and those who have followed the development of Houdini know that I am more than willing to shamelessly take a good idea when I see one. Accordingly, Ferret and I will continue to read this thread to see what might be worth 'stealing'.

Okay, I've got a whitewood to go shoot and some jokes to write

#384 5 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

Okay, I've got a whitewood to go shoot and some jokes to write

I think you meant to say "I've got some updated Houdini code to release."

#385 5 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

I think you meant to say "I've got some updated Houdini code to release."

Yes, I do, very soon.

#386 5 years ago

Better idea! Do that throwup thing into a wizard mode (much like Powerdown in Johnny Mnemonic):

When the game (oktoberfest) ist finished, everyone is puking meaning all inserts start to turn green. Shoot Ramps (or whatever) for Jackopts and to clean those inserts. Wizard Mode ends when everything is green, Oktoberfest is closed and the Ball drains.

If the Whiteboard shots are for different attractions (Beer Tent, Ferris Wheel etc.) you can differneciate and shutdown different areas when they're all green, so they'll givee no more Jackpots.

I mean no trolling, I honestly think this is a great idea!
(And most children will never see this mode.)

#387 5 years ago

Im sorry, but children dont spend money on pinball, adults do. A kid throws $1.00 in a game, starts it, and walks away after ball 2. They dont get it. Ive tried at home, they just dont get it. Maybe past 10 years old. Adults will play a game in a bar or arcade, then think "man this would be fun at home", and then drop the coin. Same for pinheads.

This game could be over the top gross/sexy humor. Sell to people with bars in their basements, and barcades alike. If you cater this to kids, I dont think it will sell as well to the home buyers or barcades. Sounds like a game full of sausages and ice cream. Snooze.

I dunno...just my $0.02. Take it with a grain of salt.

#388 5 years ago

I am willing to wait for more info. Being family friendly does not have to equal boring. Just means the boobs and barf may not be turned up to 11. I am okay with that.

#389 5 years ago

This thread is making me thirsty.

#390 5 years ago

One song I've heard several times at Oktoberfest that makes all the chicks go crazy, is Hulapalu by Andreas Gabalier

No oompa tuba beat, but it does have some kind of yodeling.

Warning: Video is NOT family friendly. Contains a woman licking another woman's stomach, as German women are known to do

(what if the kids see?)

-

Hodi odi ohh di ho di eh
Hodi odi ohh di ho di eh
Hodi odi ohh di ho di eh
Hodi odi ohh di eh

Happy hour, mitten in der Nacht
Sexy, alles tanzt alles lacht
Vierzig Grad am Dancefloor
Hulapalu sagst du in mei Ohr

Wo's is denn Hulapalu, Wo's ghert denn da dazu
Macht ma beim Hulapalu vielleicht die Augen zu
Kann ma beim Hulapalu die Sterndal sehn
Sag mir, wie soll des Gehn?

Hodi odi ohh di ho di eh
Hodi odi ohh di ho di eh
Hodi odi ohh di ho di eh
Hodi odi ohh di eh

Du host du gsagt
und Fu hab i gedacht
wasd nur du mit mir machst
wenn nur du für mi lachst
I und du und nur der Mond schaut zu
Dann sagst du Hulapalu, Hulapalu, Hulapalu

Wo's is denn Hulapalu, sog mir wo kummt des her
Wie schreibt ma Hulapalu was is des bitte sehr
I glaub nur Hulapalu is ned ganz Jugendfrei

#391 5 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

(I will not name names).

I will.

It's me.

And probably Neo.

#392 5 years ago

Illuminated Glass Stein topper?

#393 5 years ago

Clinking stein as skill shot. Need to get the right 'note', sweet spot.
Too soft insult your strength, different level of softness, different insult.
Too hard it cracks, way too hard shatters, ultra too hard slicers hand, maybe weakens the flipper for a period of time.

I've seen steins break with over exuberant clinking.

#394 5 years ago
Quoted from PinPatch:

Illuminated Glass Stein topper?

Maybe the beer level could decrease as your score increases.

#395 5 years ago

Bier Haus slot machine is one of my favorites in Vegas

Very popular!

Big tittied ladies come up and you go to the bonus round.

It’s kind of a love hate with that game

Beer and big titties works for me

#396 5 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Bier Haus slot machine is one of my favorites in Vegas

You can play it online for free, or with your credit card:

http://free-slots-no-download.com/wms-gaming/5336-bier-haus/

Bier-Haus (resized).jpgBier-Haus (resized).jpg
#398 5 years ago
Quoted from PinPatch:

Too soft insult your strength, different level of softness, different insult.

Nope, as Houdini taught us people get their feelings hurt these days if a pinball machine insults or mocks their lack of skill too much.

#399 5 years ago

Just back from Septemberfest.

#400 5 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

Nope, as Houdini taught us people get their feelings hurt these days if a pinball machine insults or mocks their lack of skill too much.

Maybe some people need a 'safe space' for when their PB machine insults them. I have one...the bar.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 39.99
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

$ 7,795.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 11.99
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

Playfield - Other
RavSpec

Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

$ 129.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

8,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dixon, CA
$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 7,899.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 7,795.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 140.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 8,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

There are 4,992 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 100.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/joe-balcer-confirms-oktoberfest-as-american-pinbals-next-pin/page/8?hl=hollywoodbone and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.