(Topic ID: 224963)

Joe Balcer confirms Oktoberfest as American Pinball's next pin.

By PismoArcade

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 4,992 posts
  • 466 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Ferret
  • Topic is favorited by 79 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

8880f5e6998fb0663ff4a9a77f40c92eb6c125f2 (resized).png
okt (resized).jpg
59547925-ED73-4D13-9C0B-C0B4DB7F1F2C (resized).jpeg
20210418_173000 (resized).jpg
IMG_8199 (resized).jpg
20211127_232248 (resized).jpg
BLKFRIDAY2021 (1) (resized).png
16341706819071145026220657450351 (resized).jpg
AAAABWnlUYQGnwPYrDFi3t2ZJg8xDmhdqB2hGmDLTPnpLg4SjPq15X8P8IAl66bSXZXeQjCVgv9i_WrsIbMEvcUa9pH863X- (resized).jpg
20211006_190939 (resized).jpg
47cc5c7a51600f42dccc5022b9550eca8025c861 (resized).jpg
IMG_7361 (resized).jpg
IMG_7362 (resized).jpg
Okt upgraded coil stop - blue = new (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
20210620_160449 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 4,992 posts in this topic. You are on page 89 of 100.
#4401 3 years ago

I'd like to get a little more action in the pop bumpers (ideally, have the ball bounce up to the TAP lanes a little more often, as that almost never happens). Adjusting coil strength doesn't seem to help much. Leaf switches are well-adjusted. Playfield pitch is around 6 degrees. Is it just me, or does the ball spend less time in the pop bumpers in this game compared to most pins?

#4402 3 years ago

I'd call the pop action on my Oktoberfest "medium"... it doesn't stay in there forever, but it doesn't usually dribble out either. Good enough that Bumper Cars is very winnable. I do like how the ball has a good chance of flying out either the left side (into the bar or the upper slingshot -- in the latter case possibly slinging right back into the pops!) or exiting right to the UR flipper.

I agree with you: for whatever reason, it's pretty uncommon for the pops to toss the ball back up the T-A-P lanes. Don't know why. I've considered removing the lower rubbers on the lane posts to see if that would change anything.

#4403 3 years ago

i'm back again (see, i'm hot with the game lol) with few more things for your to notice :

* may be increase (just a little) the ball saver time when ball exit the scoop and go right in the middle (as sometime, small rebounds makes the ball rolling a bit left or right on the metal plate just before the drain, and its END OF BALL BONUS)

* when playing STEIN RACE (NB : must admit this is crazy when you can stack ROLLER COASTER with it ! lol) : i often forget to get back to the left flipper at the end of the mode, because i'm concentrate in my game, and the BIP sample clock sound is not enough calling at you...
suggestion : instead of having the standard BIP sample sound in these 5 last seconds, why not using the knocker 5 times ? this will do the job for sure

* and last but not least : bug+funny exploit (in PM)

++

#4404 3 years ago
Quoted from Ferret:

I'd call the pop action on my Oktoberfest "medium"... it doesn't stay in there forever, but it doesn't usually dribble out either. Good enough that Bumper Cars is very winnable. I do like how the ball has a good chance of flying out either the left side (into the bar or the upper slingshot -- in the latter case possibly slinging right back into the pops!) or exiting right to the UR flipper.
I agree with you: for whatever reason, it's pretty uncommon for the pops to toss the ball back up the T-A-P lanes. Don't know why. I've considered removing the lower rubbers on the lane posts to see if that would change anything.

This would be a 100% accurate description of mine as well. uncommon into the T-A-P lanes, but when it does I would guess 90% "A".

#4405 3 years ago
Quoted from RipleYYY:

the BIP sample clock sound is not enough calling at you...
suggestion : instead of having the standard BIP sample sound in these 5 last seconds, why not using the knocker 5 times ? this will do the job for sure

Agreed, and GREAT idea!

#4406 3 years ago
Quoted from Paul_from_Gilroy:

I'd like to get a little more action in the pop bumpers (ideally, have the ball bounce up to the TAP lanes a little more often, as that almost never happens). Adjusting coil strength doesn't seem to help much. Leaf switches are well-adjusted. Playfield pitch is around 6 degrees. Is it just me, or does the ball spend less time in the pop bumpers in this game compared to most pins?

My suggestion is to leave the pop bumper coil settings at factory. If you want more action out of them; here's what I do to all my games:
Use a switch adjustment tool on each pop bumper switch to decrease the gap so the contacts are almost touching.
Also, the "spoon" where the pop bumper skirt point touches: Make sure that leaf of the switch only has enough tension just to touch the point. Too much tension between the point of the skirt and the spoon causes drag and less action.

Once you have them all adjusted, put the playfield back down and start a game. Now with a soft part of a fist, pound a few times in the middle of the playfield. The objective here is to see if that gap is too close where vibrations will set off the pops.
You can also manually touch each pop skirt and see if the vibration causes the other pops to fire. They should not.

Hope that helps.

#4407 3 years ago
Quoted from brenna98:

My suggestion is to leave the pop bumper coil settings at factory. If you want more action out of them; here's what I do to all my games:
Use a switch adjustment tool on each pop bumper switch to decrease the gap so the contacts are almost touching.
Also, the "spoon" where the pop bumper skirt point touches: Make sure that leaf of the switch only has enough tension just to touch the point. Too much tension between the point of the skirt and the spoon causes drag and less action.
Once you have them all adjusted, put the playfield back down and start a game. Now with a soft part of a fist, pound a few times in the middle of the playfield. The objective here is to see if that gap is too close where vibrations will set off the pops.
You can also manually touch each pop skirt and see if the vibration causes the other pops to fire. They should not.
Hope that helps.

Thanks for the ideas. So far, I've adjusted the leaf switches and also tried Ferret's idea (removed the bottom part of the rubber baby buggy bumpers in the TAP lanes and see what happens). Those measures didn't make much difference. I like your idea about checking the tension between the spoon and skirt (indeed I do feel a bit of resistance there), so that's the next thing I'll try. The bumpers sound strong, but it's usually two or three thumps and the ball is gone. Maybe it's just the layout. Not a huge deal though.

#4408 3 years ago

Take a qtip and put a tiny bit of white lithium grease on them and rub that on the spoon. It will make it extra slippery and eliminate any resistance.

Make sure the switches are wiped clean too.

I remember bobukcat working on his Houdini pops for forever before he got them lively.

#4409 3 years ago

Something that has been on my wishlist for a long time... I'd like to see a more complete set of switch audits in the Stats menu. As far as I can tell, the game contains 96 switches, but there are only 16 listed in the switch audits. One area in particular I wanted to look at is how many times the TAP rollover switches close in comparison to other things happening in the game. I guess audits are mostly for the benefit of operators, but hey, it's a wish

#4410 3 years ago

i really love this game !
this time, no wizard, but (trying to) playing modes the better i can, linked to right STEINS tactics of course...

WP_20200601_17_37_53_Pro (resized).jpgWP_20200601_17_37_53_Pro (resized).jpg

#4411 3 years ago

I just got this game last week! And I loved it, until all the coils don't fire. I have No Idea where to look. Can anyone help?

#4412 3 years ago
Quoted from Hop-Pac:

until all the coils don't fire. I have No Idea where to look. Can anyone help?

https://www.american-pinball.com/support/service/ Be sure you open a ticket on the support desk.

Contact their service guy - he posts here on Pinside too.

Dave Brennan
Technical Services Manager
[email protected]
Phone: (833) API-HELP / (833) 274-4357

I'd give everything a good look see for any loose connector or any that came unplugged. Check that the wires are still on the high power interlock switch and that switch is working, or pushed in when the coin door closes.

LTG : )

#4413 3 years ago

I've looked for any loose connectors. Didn't see any. Tried the coil test in the menu and nothing happens. Is the High Power Interlock switch on the coin door?
I emailed API. Waiting for a reply

#4414 3 years ago
Quoted from Hop-Pac:

Is the High Power Interlock switch on the coin door?

Yes.

I don't have a game to check but should be 2, one memory protect and one high power interlock.

Easy way to check besides connector come off, hold them both in and play a game one handed and see if flipper and stuff work. Then bend door flap over a little to hold in tighter.

#4415 3 years ago
Quoted from Hop-Pac:

I just got this game last week! And I loved it, until all the coils don't fire. I have No Idea where to look. Can anyone help?

Check the fuses on the board mounted on the left side of the cabinet (assuming it's in the same place as Houdini).

#4416 3 years ago

Coin door switch was check with DMM and work just fine

The only fuse I see inside the cabinet is on the blue board. Don't think that's it, but it checked out ok

I think these ( second pic ) are the solenoid boards. Two boards and two fuses on each board. All four check out ok with DMM

Basically I pulled and checked every fuse I could see for continuity. All fuses are good

IMG_20200605_161429669 (resized).jpgIMG_20200605_161429669 (resized).jpgIMG_20200605_161449282 (resized).jpgIMG_20200605_161449282 (resized).jpg
#4417 3 years ago
Quoted from Hop-Pac:

Coin door switch was check with DMM and work just fine
The only fuse I see inside the cabinet is on the blue board. Don't think that's it, but it checked out ok
I think these ( second pic ) are the solenoid boards. Two boards and two fuses on each board. All four check out ok with DMM
Basically I pulled and checked every fuse I could see for continuity. All fuses are good[quoted image][quoted image]

I haven't seen the power supply they use in OKT in person but take a good look at the connectors on it (bottom rear of the cabinet) and see if there are any fuses, since you have a DMM check for +48v coming out of it. The power distribution diagram on page 42 isn't a lot of help really.

#4418 3 years ago

I took the cover off the power supply and looked. Everything seems ok. Didn't see any fuses either

#4419 3 years ago

This may be a stupid question, but is there anything in the menus that might have done something? I was digging in the menus to try to learn the system and settings. When I exited the menu, I pressed Start and the solenoids were dead

#4420 3 years ago
Quoted from Hop-Pac:

Didn't see any fuses either

Page 16 in the manual. They are in there somewhere. A couple for solenoids. Find them, pull and check with a meter.

#4421 3 years ago
Quoted from Hop-Pac:

When I exited the menu, I pressed Start and the solenoids were dead

PM the AP guys here too. Vegas9 , rosh , Ferret .

LTG L )

#4422 3 years ago
Quoted from Hop-Pac:

until all the coils don't fire

If you have not done so, go into test and confirm that no coils work vs some working. Check them all.

turn off the machine, let it sit for at 10 minutes, then power on and see if they come back.

next check the serial cable that connects the two driver boards with the board in the cabinet. It is three wires twisted together.

Also, with the playfield up, while looking at the driver boards in the middle of the game, close the coin door and see if a couple of LEDs turn on bright on those boards. That will tell us if the boards are getting high power. If they don't light, then see if any LEDs on that board are it and let me know which ones.

#4423 3 years ago

Have tested all coils. None work

Have had the machine off for 10 minutes. Still no coils

All serial cables seem fine

Pic is of board. Lights stay the same with coin door open or closed.
On boot up, a third LED is brightly lit. Then goes out

IMG_20200605_231303316 (resized).jpgIMG_20200605_231303316 (resized).jpg
#4424 3 years ago
Quoted from Hop-Pac:

[quoted image]

boards are communicating (that is what the light going out means), seems no high power in the game. Can you check the voltage coming right off the power supply.

#4425 3 years ago

Ok. So to be clear,
Pull the connector at the power box, measure from the pin where the Brown wire is to Ground? Should read 48vdc?

#4426 3 years ago
Quoted from Hop-Pac:

Ok. So to be clear,
Pull the connector at the power box, measure from the pin where the Brown wire is to Ground? Should read 48vdc?

correct

#4427 3 years ago

That is set in an incredibly inconvenient place. Lead is too long to fit. Had to cut a piece of wire to poke around and try to fit it in the hole. Anyway, I think I got no voltage. Maybe at some point consider putting the less likely to need service speaker in the back and the power source in a more accessible location

IMG_20200606_151327862 (resized).jpgIMG_20200606_151327862 (resized).jpg
#4428 3 years ago
Quoted from Hop-Pac:

That is set in an incredibly inconvenient place. Lead is too long to fit. Had to cut a piece of wire to poke around and try to fit it in the hole. Anyway, I think I got no voltage.

Unscrew it. Lift it up a bit to test better. Then you'd know for sure if it's dead or not. If so contact American Pinball to see about getting a new one. They can check if it's covered or not on your warranty.

#4429 3 years ago
Quoted from Hop-Pac:

[quoted image]

Coin door switch?

#4430 3 years ago
Quoted from Dr-pin:

Coin door switch?

He's checked that.

#4431 3 years ago

I'm going to try to call API again on Monday. Tried a few times on Friday and went straight to voicemail. Hopefully I can get someone Monday

#4432 3 years ago

So still nothing from American Pinball. I called several times. Just left a voicemail. And did an email service request. Are their hours changed due to Covid? Does anyone know when and how to talk to someone from American Pinball? My game has only 74 plays and has been sitting dead for 5 days

#4433 3 years ago

Just heard back from American Pinball and working on a solution. Very excited to get this Great pin up and running again. Happy to be dealing with a GREAT pinball company.

Added over 4 years ago:

Change of heart

#4434 3 years ago
Quoted from Hop-Pac:

Just heard back from American Pinball and working on a solution. Very excited to get this Great pin up and running again. Happy to be dealing with a GREAT pinball company.

Did you determine that the power supply failed or is something else wrong?

#4435 3 years ago

Just wondering what happened to the next code update that has been do out? Coz reported it was coming over and over for months and still haven't heard anything after this long break to complete it? Thanks

#4436 3 years ago

It’s not forgotten, and is still in testing. We’ve gotten several good bug reports. Josh and I have been totally focused on Hot Wheels lately. As those start rolling out the door, we’ll be able to breathe a little, address the Okto issues reported by testers, and get that next code release out the door.

Thanks for your patience!

#4437 3 years ago

I've had Oktoberfest since Friday. I love how deep the code is on this game! I'm having a blast figuring out good stein strategies for maximum points!

#4438 3 years ago

Joe, you have another bug in PM (and than some more work to do for us... again, tanx for being behind the code while listening to us, your customers, this is really appreciated !)

Quoted from Cloud7:

I've had Oktoberfest since Friday. I love how deep the code is on this game! I'm having a blast figuring out good stein strategies for maximum points!

good luck ! as there's of course not 1 good strategy, but a lot of roads to advance nicely in this game
and that's also why OF is so good, you never feel to play 2X the same game (with a same pattern, as most of others pins)

#4439 3 years ago
Quoted from Cloud7:

The one thing you can count on, is that as soon as you think you have figured out the best strategy, a day later you will change your mind.

When you think you have a favorite mode, wait a day, it will change.

The thing that makes this game feel a little less approachable and confusing at first for some, the choosing of steins and tents, is what ultimately makes it great.

#4440 3 years ago
Quoted from RipleYYY:

tanx for being behind the code while listening to us, your customers, this is really appreciated !)

You know it... of course every company should be attentive to customers, but it's extra important for a small business like API. Hopefully we keep folks happy with Oktoberfest, and Houdini, so you'll want to buy Hot Wheels, and game 4, and game 5, and...

#4441 3 years ago
Quoted from Cloud7:

If you don't already have it, the shaker and especially the knocker really add to the modes. Nothing sweeter than 2 or three quick hits on Target Shooting or Duck Hunt and getting BAM! BAM! BAM!

Quoted from Ferret:

You know it... of course every company should be attentive to customers, but it's extra important for a small business like API. Hopefully we keep folks happy with Oktoberfest, and Houdini, so you'll want to buy Hot Wheels, and game 4, and game 5, and...

You have a great company, I've played and LOVE Houdini, and Oktoberfest was my first ever NIB which says alot!
The amount of love that I've seen in your pins speaks for its self. Can't wait to play Hot Wheels! Its so nice to see different themes again.

#4442 3 years ago

Do the beer barrel locks stack? If you spell Prost twice without locking a ball do you have two locks qualified?

#4443 3 years ago
Quoted from Cloud7:

Do the beer barrel locks stack? If you spell Prost twice without locking a ball do you have two locks qualified?

no (well until i didnt noticed but no), you (and/or other players) have to lock 3 balls in it to start MB

btw, lock(s) from a previous game can be keep for the next one... (or not, setting available)

#4444 3 years ago
Quoted from Cloud7:

Yes, at least for the first Beer Barrel MB using default settings.

#4445 3 years ago
Quoted from Ferret:

and than, i'm still discovering new things...

#4446 3 years ago
Quoted from Ferret:

Good to know! I'm going to stream the game Friday and want to have a better handle on rules.

#4447 3 years ago

http://tiltforums.com/t/oktoberfest-pinball-on-tap-rulesheet/5353 is a pretty useful rule sheet. (It's also a Wiki, so feel free to edit if you see stuff that's incorrect or missing.)

#4448 3 years ago

While I'm waiting to get my game flipping again, I thought I'd try the "Custom Message"
Has anyone tried this? I followed the directions on the website, and nothing seems to have happened.
Is the custom graphic supposed to display on the screen during attract mode?

#4449 3 years ago
Quoted from Hop-Pac:

While I'm waiting to get my game flipping again, I thought I'd try the "Custom Message"
Has anyone tried this? I followed the directions on the website, and nothing seems to have happened.

I have not yet tried it on my Oktoberfest, but in my williams games the custom message is a message that pops up during attract.

#4450 3 years ago
Quoted from Hop-Pac:

Things to verify:

1) That you had a 1366x768 PNG file custom_message.png on your USB stick. (I believe the USB stick needs to be formatted as FAT32, not HFS or NTFS, etc)
2) That you've gone to Settings > Standard > Custom Message and turned it on.

The custom message should show up in attract mode after the "Press Start" page.

Let us know how it goes.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 140.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Shooter rods
$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com
Toys/Add-ons
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 11.99
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation
Decorations
$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation
Rubber/Silicone
There are 4,992 posts in this topic. You are on page 89 of 100.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/joe-balcer-confirms-oktoberfest-as-american-pinbals-next-pin/page/89?hl=captain-flint and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.