(Topic ID: 224963)

Joe Balcer confirms Oktoberfest as American Pinball's next pin.

By PismoArcade

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 4,992 posts
  • 466 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Ferret
  • Topic is favorited by 79 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

8880f5e6998fb0663ff4a9a77f40c92eb6c125f2 (resized).png
okt (resized).jpg
59547925-ED73-4D13-9C0B-C0B4DB7F1F2C (resized).jpeg
20210418_173000 (resized).jpg
IMG_8199 (resized).jpg
20211127_232248 (resized).jpg
BLKFRIDAY2021 (1) (resized).png
16341706819071145026220657450351 (resized).jpg
AAAABWnlUYQGnwPYrDFi3t2ZJg8xDmhdqB2hGmDLTPnpLg4SjPq15X8P8IAl66bSXZXeQjCVgv9i_WrsIbMEvcUa9pH863X- (resized).jpg
20211006_190939 (resized).jpg
47cc5c7a51600f42dccc5022b9550eca8025c861 (resized).jpg
IMG_7361 (resized).jpg
IMG_7362 (resized).jpg
Okt upgraded coil stop - blue = new (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
20210620_160449 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 4,992 posts in this topic. You are on page 87 of 100.
#4301 4 years ago
Quoted from rcb5588:

Isn’t there some way to write in the code that it remembers that it already locked a specific ball?

We have code in beta test right now that does exactly this. It’s not a total panacea (and can be disabled if it causes other problems) but may help tide you over until you can replace the membrane.

#4302 4 years ago
Quoted from Ferret:

We have code in beta test right now that does exactly this. It’s not a total panacea (and can be disabled if it causes other problems) but may help tide you over until you can replace the membrane.

What other problems would it cause? Tide me over until I replace the membrane switch? Can you guys send me one? Or should I assume that these only last 300 plays, and am then required at this point to buy one from your store?

#4303 4 years ago
Quoted from rcb5588:

This beer barrel membrane switch is starting to drive me crazy! It literally makes the game unplayable since it continues to think the ball is getting locked (when it already is), and launches a new ball into the shooter lane, while the current ball is already in play.

You must be a whole lot better player than I am, because until recently when I got the new coil stop my beer barrel rarely had even one ball in it.

There was one time a long time ago that I must have had a good game because the machine acted up and gave me more.

Anyway I wish you the best, and I hope AP gets you going 100%

I love this game myself, and I really hate to hear anyone having problems with it and not able to enjoy it.

I do feel your pain. I know how I would feel if my machine started acting up.

#4304 4 years ago
Quoted from rcb5588:

This beer barrel membrane switch is starting to drive me crazy! It literally makes the game unplayable since it continues to think the ball is getting locked (when it already is), and launches a new ball into the shooter lane, while the current ball is already in play.
American Pinball, what is going to be the solution for this? Every time I clean the membrane switch it works fine for about 20 games, and then acts up again. I bought this thing NIB last September and it only has 300 plays on it.
Isn’t there some way to write in the code that it remembers that it already locked a specific ball? So even if the switch thinks it has another ball roll over it (when really it didn’t), it doesn’t count it as a newly locked ball? Can’t the game remember that it already had ball 1 locked or ball 2 locked, so any new sensitivity to the membrane switch is voided?
Or is the solution really going to be installing a new membrane switch every few hundred plays? If that’s the case, can I have one sent to me? I know I’m not the only one who has had this issue on here.

Write Josh an email and see if you can get into the beta test for the new software. It fixed it for me and was working really well. Had similar problems before.

#4305 4 years ago
Quoted from rcb5588:

What other problems would it cause?

Hard to say... pinball machines generally rely on switches to work properly so they know where the balls are. If the code tries to make guesses about what's happening to compensate for malfunctioning switches, it could guess wrong.

Quoted from rcb5588:

Tide me over until I replace the membrane switch? Can you guys send me one?

Please submit a service request ticket via <https://www.american-pinball.com/support/service/>. Thank you.

#4306 4 years ago

Question about the behavior of the Beer Barrel lock and either Last Call or Duck Derby. Should the behavior be for the balls in the BB lock to drop during either modes? I am consistently seeing issues with both while running the beta code. Not sure if it might be related to yet another failing membrane switch or code issues.

Can provide logs and whatever details might help.

Anyone else having this problem?

#4307 4 years ago
Quoted from t500:

Question about the behavior of the Beer Barrel lock and either Last Call or Duck Derby. Should the behavior be for the balls in the BB lock to drop during either modes? I am consistently seeing issues with both while running the beta code. Not sure if it might be related to yet another failing membrane switch or code issues.
Can provide logs and whatever details might help.
Anyone else having this problem?

Nope, that shouldn’t happen. But it’s happened to me too. I don’t recall if it was during Last Call or Duck Derby, or some other time during gameplay, but I’ve experienced this as well (even before I started to have my current BB lock membrane switch issues).

#4308 4 years ago
Quoted from rcb5588:

American Pinball, what is going to be the solution for this? Every time I clean the membrane switch it works fine for about 20 games, and then acts up again. I bought this thing NIB last September and it only has 300 plays on it.
Isn’t there some way to write in the code that it remembers that it already locked a specific ball? So even if the switch thinks it has another ball roll over it (when really it didn’t), it doesn’t count it as a newly locked ball? Can’t the game remember that it already had ball 1 locked or ball 2 locked, so any new sensitivity to the membrane switch is voided?
Or is the solution really going to be installing a new membrane switch every few hundred plays? If that’s the case, can I have one sent to me? I know I’m not the only one who has had this issue on here.

The new replacement membrane switches may be better than the ones that were originally included with the machine (they are a different color, so they may be from a different supplier). I would try replacing the membrane switches.

I agree, I wish they used a different type of switch.

#4309 4 years ago
Quoted from Ferret:

kidchrisso, do you have any more details on what happened leading up to that problem? You were just playing Duck Derby and then it locked up? Any info you can share, including logs, would certainly be helpful. Thanks!

Files sent!

#4310 4 years ago

I got this coil stop from T3quila because its been 4 weeks from Great american pinball. I don't think this is right,the holes are spaced further from the bend and I can't get the screw holes to line up? Anyone else have this before I call AP line?

20200310_233811 (resized).jpg20200310_233811 (resized).jpg
#4311 4 years ago
Quoted from Viggin900:

I got this coil stop from T3quila because its been 4 weeks from Great american pinball. I don't think this is right,the holes are spaced further from the bend and I can't get the screw holes to line up? Anyone else have this before I call AP line?[quoted image]

Looks like maybe a Stern coil stop?

This is the one you need for AP. They use the Williams/Bally coil stops:

https://www.pinballlife.com/williamsbally-flipper-coil-stop-a-12390.html

#4312 4 years ago

I need the new one that was put out for the flipper fix upper right. I'm not sure how it differs from the old one.

#4313 4 years ago
Quoted from Viggin900:

I got this coil stop from T3quila because its been 4 weeks from Great american pinball. I don't think this is right,the holes are spaced further from the bend and I can't get the screw holes to line up? Anyone else have this before I call AP line?[quoted image]

They came in the same envelope. Would be odd if they are different. Unless I just grabbed by sheer luck the one that was meant for the upper flipper when I installed it, and this is for the lower one maybe just as a goodie... I didn't have any trouble installing mine at all, and there is definitely a difference in play now, so it is doing what it was supposed to be doing. I never compared them, I just assumed they are the same.

#4314 4 years ago
Quoted from Viggin900:

I need the new one that was put out for the flipper fix upper right. I'm not sure how it differs from the old one.

Here is a photo of the new coil stop and old coil stop for the upper flipper.
4EF77048-867E-4034-B510-E9CF0FA51AEA (resized).jpeg4EF77048-867E-4034-B510-E9CF0FA51AEA (resized).jpeg

#4315 4 years ago
Quoted from Viggin900:

That's not the right coil stop.

Call GAP and have them send it to you, otherwise call Shalin over at American, he was taking over my position for the time being.

#4316 4 years ago
Quoted from BarryJ:

That's not the right coil stop.
Call GAP and have them send it to you, otherwise call Shalin over at American, he was taking over my position for the time being.

Thank you, we are contacting the distributer and waiting for a response. Not sure what is going on at GAP?

#4317 4 years ago

2 things I thought could be improved while playing Oktoberfest the other night. More opportunities to collect steins would be nice. Specifically if I hit the magnagrab on the top right flipper the bar door should open instead of staying closed. That way there are more options for that shot rather than going for beer barrel and the hammer strength. The second is the magnagrab above the lanes up top. Right now it just sort of stuns the ball and many times wings back around the ramp instead of giving the opportunity to get playfield multiplier. That magnet needs to act like the one in front of sparky on metallica. I am not sure if there is something in the adjustment menu for this particular magnet? Prost!

#4318 4 years ago
Quoted from Viggin900:

2 things I thought could be improved while playing Oktoberfest the other night. More opportunities to collect steins would be nice. Specifically if I hit the magnagrab on the top right flipper the bar door should open instead of staying closed. That way there are more options for that shot rather than going for beer barrel and the hammer strength.

That would largely neuter Ish Pale Ale (easier to get steins)... wouldn't be much reason to choose that instead of Buschbrau (easier to get Mag-Nabs).

BTW: any left orbit -> bar combo will immediately open the bar, regardless of how many hits were still needed to open it. This does include a left orbit -> MagNab -> bar combo.

BTW 2: find and learn the left flipper -> PROST -> bar ricochet combo. That too will automatically open the bar. This can be a medium-reliability shot if you practice it.

Quoted from Viggin900:

The second is the magnagrab above the lanes up top. Right now it just sort of stuns the ball and many times wings back around the ramp instead of giving the opportunity to get playfield multiplier.

Sorry, I'm not totally sure what you mean here. If your TAP lane MagNab is flinging the ball around any ramp... that's super cool, I want video.

That magnet does give a little blip to the ball as it's releasing it, so the ball doesn't just fall straight down the "A" every time. It should be very unusual but not unheard of for this brief magnet pulse to throw it around the orbit in either direction... pulling a number pretty much out of thin air of what I think I've observed... maybe 2 or 3% of the time? (If you think about the physics, the natural ball path is straight down, so if the magnet blips, it should generally cause the ball to move straight up toward the magnet, with minimal side-to-side motion... it's mostly wacky spin, or the game being off level, that would cause significant sideways motion.)

#4319 4 years ago
Quoted from Viggin900:

Thank you, we are contacting the distributer and waiting for a response. Not sure what is going on at GAP?

GAP wouldn't respond to my request for a new coil stop, had to go through AP as well.

#4320 4 years ago
Quoted from DanDanDAN:

We have 5 games with the original prototype cabinets with the original art work (sorry no monkey back glass) available.
The play-fields, hardware, etc. will all be the current version.
These are the 5 original cabinets that debuted at Expo 2018.
When they are gone they are gone only 5 of these exist.
If you are interested in owning one of these contact your local distributor.[quoted image][quoted image]

These all gone?

#4321 4 years ago

I'm going to check my level. A few times the ball gets slung back down the left outlane. Thx

#4322 4 years ago

Coil stop was easy install but when lowering the playfield something is pulling these 3 wires out and I dont know where they go?

20200324_221328 (resized).jpg20200324_221328 (resized).jpg20200324_223444 (resized).jpg20200324_223444 (resized).jpg
#4323 4 years ago
Quoted from Viggin900:

something is pulling these 3 wires out and I dont know where they go?

https://www.american-pinball.com/support/service/ Open a ticket. Their committee may be working from home.

Unless someone here can check. I don't have the game to help you.

LTG : )

#4324 4 years ago
Quoted from Viggin900:

Coil stop was easy install but when lowering the playfield something is pulling these 3 wires out and I dont know where they go?

I don't yet have an Oktoberfest at home, so, can't look.

Looks like that is a switch board, so the yellow black would go on the bent connector. You will want to very carefully bend the wires on the jack back as you put-on that connector. I'd slide it and slowly/gently bend it back as you put the connector on.

the three wire purple/blue/grey is a serial cable and clearly does not go on that board, since it already has two. It likely goes on the three pin connector I can see on the board on the back panel. My guess is the 5V wire is also on that board, but need a better image to really tell you.

#4325 4 years ago
Quoted from Pyromedic:

These all gone?

I know at least one is gone since it is my basement with a hot wheels playfield in it. Not sure if there are others left, you can contact [email protected] to inquire.

#4326 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

https://www.american-pinball.com/support/service/ Open a ticket. Their committee may be working from home.

Good luck. I’ve been waiting 5 days to hear back from them about a new membrane switch, after filling out that form.

#4327 4 years ago
Quoted from rcb5588:

Good luck. I’ve been waiting 5 days to hear back from them about a new membrane switch, after filling out that form.

Just sent a PM with some info

#4328 4 years ago
Quoted from rcb5588:

I am sorry for the delays. Barry is no longer with them. And with their state in a lockdown. Things aren't going as well as everybody hopes.

rosh just posted. I'm sure they are doing the best they can in these trying times.

#4329 4 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

I know at least one is gone since it is my basement with a hot wheels playfield in it. Not sure if there are others left, you can contact [email protected] to inquire.

Thanks! Will do.

#4330 4 years ago

1 out of 3 i got, almost there. Does the this three wire go to the connector towards the back? Its a tight stretch! Last one is a 4 connector tied to the yellow/ black. Cant see where that goes?

20200327_145416 (resized).jpg20200327_145416 (resized).jpg20200327_145524 (resized).jpg20200327_145524 (resized).jpg
#4331 4 years ago

I betcha it goes next the other slot on the back panel. Man this thing really got caught up.

20200327_150124 (resized).jpg20200327_150124 (resized).jpg
#4332 4 years ago
Quoted from Viggin900:

1 out of 3 i got, almost there. Does the this three wire go to the connector towards the back? Its a tight stretch! Last one is a 4 connector tied to the yellow/ black. Cant see where that goes?

rosh Can you help please ?

Or anyone with an Oktoberfest who can take a picture.

Thank you !

#4333 4 years ago

Fixed! Thanks for trying to help. Take care! That was a close one

#4334 4 years ago
Quoted from Viggin900:

1 out of 3 i got, almost there. Does the this three wire go to the connector towards the back? Its a tight stretch! Last one is a 4 connector tied to the yellow/ black. Cant see where that goes?[quoted image][quoted image]

Don't have one to look at. That last board looks like an an LED board, so should be getting 5V, which would be a black and red connector. and that smaller three connector likely goes on the smaller three prong.

Be sure that any yellow/black you hooked up is correct, look for a label on the board, you don't want to put 12V where 5 should be.

#4335 4 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

Don't have one to look at.

I'm sorry I forgot.

Next time I'll bump for others to send pictures.

#4336 4 years ago

Had another fun game tonight at 6,899! If there is one thing I have learned this week during quarantine it is this. People are obsessed with themes and have no imagination. Three of the top four games are non licensed. In order to win a TWIPY you have to reskin Oktoberfest as Tiger King for anyone to pay attention to it.
Looking forward to the new code release during this sad time.

#4337 4 years ago

Any idea on release of new code / need another beta tester?

#4338 4 years ago

Thank you for the new coil stop and the lock bar shims. I just wanted to pass on that I WAS having problems with inappropriate ball saves in the past and would also have ball drains that weren't right. I received a new trough and it did help (had the occasional problem though shortly after installing). I spoke with a friend of mine and he mentioned to check the pinballs to see if they were magnetized (he had a hell of a time with a his LOTR). Sure enough they all stuck together when put on a table. A new set of balls fixed the problem. Just for future reference, if the trough starts acting up and not feeding the balls to the shooter lane coil, it is likely the balls sticking together and not allowing them to roll down freely. American Pinball keep up the good work!

#4339 4 years ago

Make sure your new pinballs aren’t the super shiny ones. Those will magnetize again.

#4340 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Make sure your new pinballs aren’t the super shiny ones. Those will magnetize again.

Thats good to know, I have been replacing mine and the new ones aren't shiny. I didn't know it was a good thing.

#4341 4 years ago
Quoted from Viggin900:

Thats good to know, I have been replacing mine and the new ones aren't shiny. I didn't know it was a good thing.

The only pinballs I’ve been able to find that aren’t susceptible to magnetization are these:

https://www.pinballlife.com/1-116-pinball-standard-size.html

And these.

https://www.titanpinball.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=69&search=Pinballs+

#4342 4 years ago

I've never had a magnetization issue with the ones from Pinball Resource and that's even in Cirqus Voltaire which has a lot of magnet use.

#4343 4 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

I've never had a magnetization issue with the ones from Pinball Resource and that's even in Cirqus Voltaire which has a lot of magnet use.

Never tried theirs, but not surprised. PBR is the shit!

#4344 4 years ago
Quoted from arcadem:

There have been a few posts lately discussing the absence of the bumper car drivers. I too was disappointed that they had to be removed because of wire form issues. I thought they were great toys and I kind of subscribe to the 'more toys, the better ' school of thought. Any way, I want to share with you an idea my wife came up with. Using double sided tape we mounted a very inexpensive rubber duck bath toy in our game. It's durable, cheap, widely available and they come in many different styles as you can see. Maybe not as much fun as the originally planned bumper car drivers but we like the look. Just our contribution to this forum.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I got the Hofbrauhaus duck, looks exactly like the one when you start Duck Derby mode.
DF4F0125-47D8-4778-BC37-E2C5A5BC433A (resized).jpegDF4F0125-47D8-4778-BC37-E2C5A5BC433A (resized).jpegF8AC3846-C0DD-4E76-8D10-A536F8C9AAB9 (resized).jpegF8AC3846-C0DD-4E76-8D10-A536F8C9AAB9 (resized).jpeg

1 week later
#4345 4 years ago

Where did you get that duck from?

#4347 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

ebay.com link » Hofbrauhaus Munchen Bavarian Beer Waitress Rubber Duck Ducky Germany Oktoberfest
ebay.com link » Hofbrauhaus Munchen Bavarian Oktoberfest Lederhosen Rubber Duck Ducky Germany

Thats it

1 week later
#4348 4 years ago

I noticed ever since I installed the new coil stop for the upper right flipper, the side ramp and captive ball shots feel much better but the Bar is nearly impossible because the angle just isn’t there anymore. This means that the only times I can collect a stein are a successful skill shot or a bounce/ricochet into the bar.

Is there any way a future code update can add an adjustment so that a full captive ball shot will open the bar for those of us with this problem?

#4349 4 years ago
Quoted from GrandFireball1:

I noticed ever since I installed the new coil stop for the upper right flipper, the side ramp and captive ball shots feel much better but the Bar is nearly impossible because the angle just isn’t there anymore. This means that the only times I can collect a stein are a successful skill shot or a bounce/ricochet into the bar.
Is there any way a future code update can add an adjustment so that a full captive ball shot will open the bar for those of us with this problem?

I was wondering about that before installing but someone said its the same? I havnt noticed on mine but I rarely go for the bar but shoot for the barrel. Perhaps I will change my game plan? I will say the ball seems to fly off the wire ramp to the barrel now often. Maybe I will dial the flipper back? Has anyone had to since updating?

#4350 4 years ago
Quoted from Viggin900:

I was wondering about that before installing but someone said its the same? I havnt noticed on mine but I rarely go for the bar but shoot for the barrel. Perhaps I will change my game plan? I will say the ball seems to fly off the wire ramp to the barrel now often. Maybe I will dial the flipper back? Has anyone had to since updating?

With the new coil stop I make the Beer Barrel Ramp more often, and, surprisingly, the ball has more velocity and sometimes flies off the habitrail. Easy to fix with some tweaking. Haven't had any difficulty making the high-striker shot. Not sure about the bar (I rarely shoot for that from the upper flipper). Prior to putting in the new coil stop, I could almost always make a side entrance into the mode start scoop (shoot the left orbit, hold the right flipper button, ball comes around off the UR flipper right into the scoop). Kinda miss that shot

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 11.99
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

$ 140.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 39.99
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

$ 7,795.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

Machine - For Sale
Queen Creek, AZ
$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

8,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dixon, CA
$ 8,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 7,899.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 129.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 7,795.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 4,992 posts in this topic. You are on page 87 of 100.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/joe-balcer-confirms-oktoberfest-as-american-pinbals-next-pin/page/87?hl=e_gpinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.