(Topic ID: 224963)

Joe Balcer confirms Oktoberfest as American Pinball's next pin.

By PismoArcade

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 4,992 posts
  • 466 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Ferret
  • Topic is favorited by 79 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

8880f5e6998fb0663ff4a9a77f40c92eb6c125f2 (resized).png
okt (resized).jpg
59547925-ED73-4D13-9C0B-C0B4DB7F1F2C (resized).jpeg
20210418_173000 (resized).jpg
IMG_8199 (resized).jpg
20211127_232248 (resized).jpg
BLKFRIDAY2021 (1) (resized).png
16341706819071145026220657450351 (resized).jpg
AAAABWnlUYQGnwPYrDFi3t2ZJg8xDmhdqB2hGmDLTPnpLg4SjPq15X8P8IAl66bSXZXeQjCVgv9i_WrsIbMEvcUa9pH863X- (resized).jpg
20211006_190939 (resized).jpg
47cc5c7a51600f42dccc5022b9550eca8025c861 (resized).jpg
IMG_7361 (resized).jpg
IMG_7362 (resized).jpg
Okt upgraded coil stop - blue = new (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
20210620_160449 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 4,992 posts in this topic. You are on page 84 of 100.
#4151 4 years ago

My hope is that AP's 3rd pin will be as awesome as their first 2.

Merry Christmas to AP, and LTG, and every Pinsider that reads this, and HAPPY NEW YEAR 2020!

#4152 4 years ago

I noticed they were glued on offcenter on the bumpers and thats why it seemed possible. They would have to be pulled off and remounted in order to have clearance. Too much trouble for me.

SmartSelect_20191222-080456_Chrome (resized).jpgSmartSelect_20191222-080456_Chrome (resized).jpg
#4153 4 years ago
Quoted from JohnnyPinball007:

Merry Christmas to AP, and LTG,

Merry Christmas my friend !

LTG : )

#4154 4 years ago
Quoted from dannunz:

Can someone tell me how to get 6 ball multiball going?

There are 6-ball opportunities during Flipper Meister and Stein Slinging.

#4155 4 years ago
Quoted from Ferret:

There are 6-ball opportunities during Flipper Meister and Stein Slinging.

Ya but you need to get way deep in the game. Most people will never see it. I loved Houdini because I could start 6 ball multiball multiple ways very early in the game. Even with a mode I could get it going with reverse flippers. Octoberfest needs this! More than 2 ball multi ball is hard enough to get. Let’s fix this guys Josh???

#4156 4 years ago

They really dropped the ball in not doing custom runs for breweries, events and locations...

Also, what real marketing was done outside of to common buyers of pinball machines?

#4157 4 years ago
Quoted from dannunz:

More than 2 ball multi ball is hard enough to get.

Hmmm. You can be in a 3 ball multiball just four shots after you start the game. (Scoop, [choose Juggling], left orbit, right orbit, Food Stand) Four more shots and it becomes a four-ball. Just sayin'.

#4158 4 years ago

I love the game, can't wait to see what you guys are doing in the upcoming code release! I put over 500 games on it in a month according to the counter. At this point I know all of Inga's taunts by heart unfortunately. I finally should get to actually practice flipper skills.

Getting also the Shaker for Christmas from my in-laws. My family is awesome!

Happy holidays to everybody!

#4159 4 years ago
Quoted from Ferret:

Hmmm. You can be in a 3 ball multiball just four shots after you start the game. (Scoop, [choose Juggling], left orbit, right orbit, Food Stand) Four more shots and it becomes a four-ball. Just sayin'.

Yes I have herd that 1000 times. Any other way to get there? Houdini has you in 6 ball multi ball in 5 shots correct?

#4160 4 years ago
Quoted from dannunz:

Yes I have herd that 1000 times. Any other way to get there? Houdini has you in 6 ball multi ball in 5 shots correct?

Yes and SEANCE multiball in 7 shots which is a bit easier.

#4161 4 years ago
Quoted from dannunz:

Nope, not quite,

SEANCE can be started in 7 shots (S E A N C E, then scoop)
Trunk can be started with 5 shots (inner loop (lock), Stage alley (light lock), inner loop (lock), Stage alley (light lock), inner loop (lock)
Straitjacket can be started with 2 shots (stage curtain, stage) you need to properly set the stage to the correct act before the first time you hit and also if it is the first act of the game, otherwise takes more shots to open the stage).

Keep n mind stacking two, three ball multiballs gets you 5 balls, not 6, since each will add 2 balls into play.

So best case is 7 shots for 5 balls (starting straitjacket first, then trunk), which would require quite the high level of skill to do.

To get six balls (with one waiting to bet put into play on first post save drain), would take 14 shots and requires starting Straitjacket first), although, who knows, maybe there is a way to go straight to Master Magician at the start of the game and have a six ball MB without making any shots.

Ferret and I debated pros and cons around stacking of coaster, beer barrel and juggling MBs for quite some time, but at the end of the day when you look at in what you need to be shooting and the general rules of them, we felt they did not really fit well together. Lowering and Raising the ramp for a Super Jackpot for Coaster, when you have six balls in play, would not be a good idea nor would it be during the 3 ball BBMB to allow coaster locks.

#4162 4 years ago

What power setting do you guys have the scoop set to? If I have it at 14 it sends the ball to the bottom 1/4 inch of the flipper about 90% of the time. If I boost it up just to 15 then it will always send the ball to the plastic inlane guide. Crazy how just one number adjustment will make such a difference. Can’t seem to find a sweet spot (or even close to) to get it to the middle of the flipper. Has anyone modified the scoop at all under the playfield to change the angle a bit?

#4163 4 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

Nope, not quite,
SEANCE can be started in 7 shots (S E A N C E, then scoop)
Trunk can be started with 5 shots (inner loop (lock), Stage alley (light lock), inner loop (lock), Stage alley (light lock), inner loop (lock)
Straitjacket can be started with 2 shots (stage curtain, stage) you need to properly set the stage to the correct act before the first time you hit and also if it is the first act of the game, otherwise takes more shots to open the stage).
Keep n mind stacking two, three ball multiballs gets you 5 balls, not 6, since each will add 2 balls into play.
So best case is 7 shots for 5 balls (starting straitjacket first, then trunk), which would require quite the high level of skill to do.
To get six balls (with one waiting to bet put into play on first post save drain), would take 14 shots and requires starting Straitjacket first), although, who knows, maybe there is a way to go straight to Master Magician at the start of the game and have a six ball MB without making any shots.
Ferret and I debated pros and cons around stacking of coaster, beer barrel and juggling MBs for quite some time, but at the end of the day when you look at in what you need to be shooting and the general rules of them, we felt they did not really fit well together. Lowering and Raising the ramp for a Super Jackpot for Coaster, when you have six balls in play, would not be a good idea nor would it be during the 3 ball BBMB to allow coaster locks.

Can you break down the steps to get 5 or 6 ball in Oktoberfest please.

#4164 4 years ago
Quoted from dannunz:

Can you break down the steps to get 5 or 6 ball in Oktoberfest please.

Play all the modes

#4165 4 years ago

Personally, I like where the multiballs are at on Oktoberfest. Harder than most games but feels rewarding. Makes it so players can spend more time exploring modes and steins and worrying less about stacking everything with a multiball like a lot of Sterns. Not saying that’s a bad thing either, but I like the variety.

#4166 4 years ago

A couple days left to get stuff for your game.

apsale (resized).jpgapsale (resized).jpg
1 week later
#4167 4 years ago

I just cracked 68 mil on this game. If anyone has got to this point you will feel like a god. It was like being one with the machine. I know it sounds like zen but it is very exhilerating. I felt like nothing could stop me and I could predict every shot. I only had 1 extra ball the whole time. I wish everyone the best of luck in 2020 and enjoy Gemutlichkeit year round. Oktoberfest is the best!

#4168 4 years ago

Fantastic score, @viggin900, congrats! You're right... if you're in sync with the machine, you'll win a bunch of tent modes on the same ball, and then the points just roll in. Not easy to do, but it feels oh-so-good when you do it!

#4169 4 years ago

I could be wrong but when I got 2x the light went on. Later on during the same ball when I was going for 3x I did not see it on? Im sure it registered but that should stay on for players info.

#4170 4 years ago

Playfield 2X, on the Ferris Wheel? It's timed, so perhaps the timer expired?

#4171 4 years ago

I thought it stayed on so you know what bonus you have and going for next.
How is the new flipper adjustment part for beer barrel coming along?

#4172 4 years ago
Quoted from Viggin900:

... How is the new flipper adjustment part for beer barrel coming along?

Whuh? A beer barrel ramp shot fix in the works?!

This ramp shot is my primary gameplay concern in making a final Oktoberfest purchase decision. Just sold my TSPP and I do not desire another unfun "treehouse" ramp shot on a new game.

#4173 4 years ago
Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

This ramp shot is my primary gameplay concern in making a final Oktoberfest purchase decision. Just sold my TSPP and I do not desire another unfun "treehouse" ramp shot on a new game.

I addressed this earlier. Search for posts by me.

#4174 4 years ago
Quoted from dannunz:

I addressed this earlier. Search for posts by me.

Found your posts on this from a few months ago now.

Thanks! My prior key word searches came up empty.

Reassuring to see you were able to improve this shot's makability!

#4175 4 years ago

I put red rubber from Marco onto the upper flipper and it seems to be easier. But I still have days when I can't hit it. Other days I seem I can't miss it. Unfortunately the latter ones are rare

#4176 4 years ago
Quoted from T3quila:

I put red rubber from Marco onto the upper flipper and it seems to be easier. But I still have days when I can't hit it. Other days I seem I can't miss it. Unfortunately the latter ones are rare

Exact same here.

#4177 4 years ago

I doubt if you'll find the Beer Barrel ramp "unfun". In my game I find that it's both challenging and fun (more fun than the treehouse in TSPP in my opinion). I'd say clobbering the High Striker is just as challenging. The shot I find most challenging is the "re-entry" plunge into the tent scoop. I like them all. What is my least favorite shot in the game? I never, ever like the unsatisfying thud of a metal ball crashing into a metal wall in a pinball game, so for me, bashing the closed bar door is my least favorite shot, much like bashing the metal garage door in TSPP, or the metal castle doors in WOZ.

#4178 4 years ago

How sensitive have you guys set your outlane save targets? I almost never get any and am debating if I should make them more sensitive.

#4179 4 years ago

AP has a fix for the flipper is what Josh said on the code update stream a few months ago. Dan told me about it also. I thought it would be ready by now? I'm not wanting to do a home made jerry rig from the previous posts. The fix has been tested and the shot is now 60% makeable. This has been a hang up for lots of people on the game.

#4180 4 years ago
Quoted from Viggin900:

I'm not wanting to do a home made jerry rig from the previous posts.

When you replace the next time flipper rubber, instead of using super bands use a softer rubber compound - I would argue that is not really jury rigging. I understand people do stuff like that all the time to make the game play more to their liking. I needed to get replacements and ordered that and it seems to work for me.

I'm curious how software can change difficulty of a shot though, since that is a physical function of geometry in terms of angle, speed and force. The latter one you can already change with the coil strength adjustments. I had to back down coil strength by one on my upper flipper anyway, because otherwise the ball would hop off the rail on the way from the plastic to the barrel if you got a super clean shot. I found non magnet staged shots have a better chance actually - not when they are screaming around, but when they have a little bit more momentum then from the magnet hold resting spot.

#4181 4 years ago
Quoted from T3quila:

When you replace the next time flipper rubber, instead of using super bands use a softer rubber compound - I would argue that is not really jury rigging. I understand people do stuff like that all the time to make the game play more to their liking. I needed to get replacements and ordered that and it seems to work for me.
I'm curious how software can change difficulty of a shot though, since that is a physical function of geometry in terms of angle, speed and force. The latter one you can already change with the coil strength adjustments. I had to back down coil strength by one on my upper flipper anyway, because otherwise the ball would hop off the rail on the way from the plastic to the barrel if you got a super clean shot. I found non magnet staged shots have a better chance actually - not when they are screaming around, but when they have a little bit more momentum then from the magnet hold resting spot.

Thinking outside the box, one way the software could "fix" this would be to add a "super magnab" feature. With super-magnab qualified, you would catch the ball above the UR flipper like you normally do, but the dome LED turns purple and auto-flip is enabled. Then you sit and watch as the UR flipper makes the perfect shot. Much like Phantom Flip in Monster Bash and Thing Flips in Addams Family.

#4182 4 years ago

Still thinking outside the box, and this is a little off-topic, but are there any games where making a skill shot doesn't kill all the remaining skill shots? In other words, if you're really skilled, you could collect two or three skill shots before the skill-shot timer runs out? I guess a super skill shot is something like that, but not exactly.

#4183 4 years ago

This is how the new Stern JP works with skill shots.

Quoted from Paul_from_Gilroy:

Still thinking outside the box, and this is a little off-topic, but are there any games where making a skill shot doesn't kill all the remaining skill shots? In other words, if you're really skilled, you could collect two or three skill shots before the skill-shot timer runs out? I guess a super skill shot is something like that, but not exactly.

#4184 4 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

This is how the new Stern JP works with skill shots.

Kind of, the next skill shot only lights if you make the one before it.

#4185 4 years ago

Thinking outside the box, one way the software could "fix" this would be to add a "super magnab" feature. With super-magnab qualified, you would catch the ball above the UR flipper like you normally do, but the dome LED turns purple and auto-flip is enabled. Then you sit and watch as the UR flipper makes the perfect shot. Much like Phantom Flip in Monster Bash and Thing Flips in Addams Family.

That's a cool idea!
In Adams family though it has switches above and below the goal so it knows if it flipped too early or too late and learns. We don't have that learning feedback possibility here, so short of just giving you a virtual lock at x% of the time I don't know if it would work. But I like the way you are thinking!

#4186 4 years ago

There is one like this already in the game. If you get the left inlane it lights the half pipe on the right getting back to the left flipper and you can keep shooting it for progressively higher scores until you miss.

#4187 4 years ago

With super-magnab qualified, you would catch the ball above the UR flipper like you normally do, but the dome LED turns purple and auto-flip is enabled. Then you sit and watch as the UR flipper makes the perfect shot. Much like Phantom Flip in Monster Bash and Thing Flips in Addams Family.

I'd be all over this if there was only one shot up there... but sometimes you want the ramp, sometimes you want the captive ball, sometimes you want the bar. I can definitely imagine people getting mad with us if the game started BBMB on them when they really wanted to first pick up an extra Frosty Ferret to increase BBMB values. (I know that Phantom Flip does different shots, but personally I hate Phantom Flip: it often doesn't do what I expect, and its accuracy is far worse than Thing Flips.) @t3quila's comments about the physical layout are relevant too... on Okto, the code wouldn't know if it missed early or missed late if it just hit one of the posts on either side of the ramp entrance.

are there any games where making a skill shot doesn't kill all the remaining skill shots?

Ghostbusters with the latest code is another example.

I kinda like the strategic aspect of having to pick one skill shot option... do you pick something easy for the "guaranteed" smaller points / smaller award, or risk the harder skill shot for the bigger reward?

#4188 4 years ago
Quoted from T3quila:

There is one like this already in the game. If you get the left inlane it lights the half pipe on the right getting back to the left flipper and you can keep shooting it for progressively higher scores until you miss.

The one time I nailed that Skill Shot (location, I don't own one) I drilled the 1/2 pipe ramp. Bricked it on the 2nd try though.

Cool to know it's progressive and to concentrate on it should I nail the inlane skill shot again.

#4189 4 years ago

Is there a coil adjustment for the ball kick out coil into the shootout lane?

It has happened 4 times now to me. Mid game I think ball 2 the ball tries to kick out but does not come all the way out and drops back down. Then registers as a drained ball.

#4190 4 years ago
Quoted from dannunz:

Check the manual - coil settings start on page 18 .

Download here - http://s4.american-pinball.com/img/support/2019-7/Oktoberfest-Manual-new.pdf

#4191 4 years ago
Quoted from dannunz:

It has happened 4 times now to me. Mid game I think ball 2 the ball tries to kick out but does not come all the way out and drops back down. Then registers as a drained ball.

I believe I have seen that before in the coil adjustment setting, let me know if you can't find it, then I'll fire mine up and look for it.

What's off though is that yours falls all the way back and registers as a lost ball. I would expect it to fall on top of the follow-up ball and trigger the jam switch instead it trying to kick it out again.

#4192 4 years ago
Quoted from T3quila:

What's off though is that yours falls all the way back and registers as a lost ball.

Quoted from dannunz:

It is call Trough Kicker.

Make it stronger or weaker. If it hits the flap at the top and falls back down instead of diverting to the shooter lane, this will help. For WOZ, same ball trough flap thing. : https://www.pinplay.com/5/adjusting_the_ball_trough_on_woz.html

#4193 4 years ago
Quoted from dannunz:

If this happens again, please send in a log file. It should not end your turn if the ball fails to reach the shooter lane. I’ve tested this in different game states (using my finger to block the trough eject) and had no errant behavior, but if there’s a bug, I want to fix it. Thanks!

#4194 4 years ago

Any word on new code in the near future?

#4196 4 years ago
Quoted from Ferret:

We're working on it!

2 weeks later
#4197 4 years ago

Anyone go the new coil stop fix for the upper flipper? Does it make the barrel shot much easier, like it is supposed to?

#4198 4 years ago
Quoted from mfresh:

Anyone go the new coil stop fix for the upper flipper? Does it make the barrel shot much easier, like it is supposed to?

First time I'm hearing about it, what is it?

#4199 4 years ago

AP are releasing a package to existing owners which includes a coil stop which shortens the upper flipper stroke. This, apparently, will make it significantly easier to get the ball in the barrel.

#4200 4 years ago
Quoted from mfresh:

AP are releasing a package to existing owners which includes a coil stop which shortens the upper flipper stroke. This, apparently, will make it significantly easier to get the ball in the barrel.

Cool, I'm excited for that!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 129.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

Machine - For Sale
Queen Creek, AZ
$ 11.99
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

$ 7,899.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 7,795.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 7,795.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

8,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dixon, CA
$ 39.99
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

$ 8,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 140.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

There are 4,992 posts in this topic. You are on page 84 of 100.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/joe-balcer-confirms-oktoberfest-as-american-pinbals-next-pin/page/84?hl=barryj and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.