(Topic ID: 224963)

Joe Balcer confirms Oktoberfest as American Pinball's next pin.

By PismoArcade

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 4,992 posts
  • 466 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Ferret
  • Topic is favorited by 79 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

8880f5e6998fb0663ff4a9a77f40c92eb6c125f2 (resized).png
okt (resized).jpg
59547925-ED73-4D13-9C0B-C0B4DB7F1F2C (resized).jpeg
20210418_173000 (resized).jpg
IMG_8199 (resized).jpg
20211127_232248 (resized).jpg
BLKFRIDAY2021 (1) (resized).png
16341706819071145026220657450351 (resized).jpg
AAAABWnlUYQGnwPYrDFi3t2ZJg8xDmhdqB2hGmDLTPnpLg4SjPq15X8P8IAl66bSXZXeQjCVgv9i_WrsIbMEvcUa9pH863X- (resized).jpg
20211006_190939 (resized).jpg
47cc5c7a51600f42dccc5022b9550eca8025c861 (resized).jpg
IMG_7361 (resized).jpg
IMG_7362 (resized).jpg
Okt upgraded coil stop - blue = new (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
20210620_160449 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 4,992 posts in this topic. You are on page 81 of 100.
#4001 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

American Pinball has a separate promotion on games.

How about those of us that bought both games NIB when they were announced and were loyal supporters getting a deal like this!

#4002 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

American Pinball has a separate promotion on games.
LTG : )[quoted image]

LOL “Promotion”

#4003 4 years ago

Hello,
I'd like to know if the 500$ offer also works for european customers. I've bought an Oktoberfest this month and would like to have a discount on next game too.
Concerning the 20% off on your store, it's great. But please add a cheaper shipping option for us (european customers). Nobody wants to pay 50$ shipping for a baseball cap !

#4004 4 years ago
Quoted from pimseb:

Hello,
I'd like to know if the 500$ offer also works for european customers. I've bought an Oktoberfest this month and would like to have a discount on next game too.
Concerning the 20% off on your store, it's great. But please add a cheaper shipping option for us (european customers). Nobody wants to pay 50$ shipping for a baseball cap !

It cost me $14.25 to ship a small RCT part in a bubble envelope to France the other day. Hat would probably be about the same. Also shipped a plastic set, that was about $55, some of the plastics were pretty big. I guess it can be a bit tricky to estimate on the website. Would be nice if the true shipping cost could be added on later. Anyway, if you ever need help shipping a part (or hat) over there, don't hesitate to ask.

#4005 4 years ago
Quoted from pimseb:

I'd like to know if the 500$ offer also works for european customers.

I'd contact them, [email protected] and ask.

LTG : )

#4006 4 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

Keep in mind that not every good idea will get implemented as there are a lot of factors that go into where we decide to spend our limited resources.

Thanks for the feedback, and fully understood... I do try to keep any ideas I have such that they don't interfere with the current code, and also don't negatively impact the score balance, and also don't cause tournament play issues... I try my best to think these things through...

#4007 4 years ago

I really like the depth of this game. Most games I just shoot the ball and aim for the skill shot, but not this game.

With Oktoberfest before I plunge the ball I look at the playfield to see where I am at with tents, and think about what I want to do next, and what stein I will go with next to align with what I am going for this game.

So many different ways to go. Most of the time I try for good scores, and sometimes I just go after the easiest ways to get extra balls.

This is the only game I have that I look at the playfield and think and plan what I want to try to do before I ever plunge the ball.

I am playing the latest code, and I will never update again as far as gameplay, gameplay is perfect for me.

I really hope the 3rd release from AP will be just as great as the first 2. My pinball money is on hold just waiting for their 3rd game no matter what any other company comes out with.

I do hope AP will do a packed widebody someday, that could be the ultimate pin.

And customer service is top notch, and LTG is also always ready to jump in.

I just played the game for 2 hours with my girlfriend, and I did not do great, only 1mil highest score, and a few extra balls and mb's here and there, but the want to play again and try again factor is highest with this game than any other in my opinion.

#4008 4 years ago
Quoted from JohnnyPinball007:

I just played the game for 2 hours with my girlfriend, and I did not do great, only 1mil highest score, and a few extra balls and mb's here and there, but the want to play again and try again factor is highest with this game than any other in my opinion.

Oktoberfest is a lot of fun. Glad you got one.

#4009 4 years ago

I am playing the latest code, and I will never update again as far as gameplay, gameplay is perfect for me.

Please AP, do not let this statement discourage you from adding things to the code that you think will improve the game! I will certainly appreciate any improvements you make and look forward to code updates myself

#4010 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballslave:

Please AP, do not let this statement discourage you from adding things to the code that you think will improve the game! I will certainly appreciate any improvements you make and look forward to code updates myself

the best part is the player gets to decide
No one one the planet is going to stop Josh from tweeking the code he is a programming force of nature shaped like a man!

#4011 4 years ago
Quoted from DanDanDAN:

the best part is the player gets to decide
No one one the planet is going to stop Josh from tweeking the code he is a programming force of nature shaped like a man!

One big difference between Josh and myself is that I can only tweak the code in my head... and I do... a lot... It probably sounds crazy, but sometimes I struggle to sleep at night due to imagining how the code for this game can be tweaked... why? Well, 1 reason is that as an owner I want to try and get the most out of the game, and secondly, because I know API are here reading these posts, and this is their current title, and they therefore hopefully still have their eye on the ball, I get the feeling that there's a chance that my ideas may be put into practice... so it boosts the motivation to think of stuff... I can't escape the feeling that this game has some excellent roots, a nice firm trunk, lots of strong branches, but is not quite in full bloom yet... and I'm trying to help make it bloosom...

#4012 4 years ago

One big difference between Josh and myself is that I can only tweak the code in my head... and I do... a lot... It probably sounds crazy, but sometimes I struggle to sleep at night due to imagining how the code for this game can be tweaked... why? Well, 1 reason is that as an owner I want to try and get the most out of the game, and secondly, because I know API are here reading these posts, and this is their current title, and they therefore hopefully still have their eye on the ball, I get the feeling that there's a chance that my ideas may be put into practice... so it boosts the motivation to think of stuff... I can't escape the feeling that this game has some excellent roots, a nice firm trunk, lots of strong branches, but is not quite in full bloom yet... and I'm trying to help make it bloosom...

Yea, your just crazy. Plant flowers ha JK

#4013 4 years ago

Something I noticed when I play the food stand is the auto magnasave on the right loop grabs the ball everytime and robs me of calories. I am still trying to get a coma. It should be disingaged during food stand.

#4014 4 years ago
Quoted from Viggin900:

auto magnasave on the right loop grabs the ball

Talking of auto magnasave (mag-nab is, I believe, the preferred nomenclature... I think you've got your BK head on ) can someone please help with these questions:

1) How do I know if auto mag-nab will nab the ball so that I don't need to use one of my mag-nabs?
2) If I press the mag-nab button when auto mag-nab would nab the ball anyway, do I lose the mag-nab I used?
3) If I press mag-nab when shooting for the right loop but miss the shot, and therefore the ball doesn't get nabbed, do I lose the mag-nab I just used?
4) How do I know how many mag-nabs I have in reserve?

#4015 4 years ago

Talking of auto magnasave (mag-nab is, I believe, the preferred nomenclature... I think you've got your BK head on ) can someone please help with these questions:
1) How do I know if auto mag-nab will nab the ball so that I don't need to use one of my mag-nabs?
2) If I press the mag-nab button when auto mag-nab would nab the ball anyway, do I lose the mag-nab I used?
3) If I press mag-nab when shooting for the right loop but miss the shot, and therefore the ball doesn't get nabbed, do I lose the mag-nab I just used?
4) How do I know how many mag-nabs I have in reserve?

1) lights green
2) no
3) yes
4) on the main Out of Mode screen, the marquee on the top of the hi-striker shows how many you have (you earn more at hi-striker and via the right 180 ramp, depending on which is lit)

#4016 4 years ago

Like most pins, holding a flipper button for a few seconds also gives a status screen, including info on how many MagNabs you have.

#4017 4 years ago

Thanks for the quick and thorough reply! Expanding question 2 a bit, if the auto mag-nab is lit (green as you say), that only applies to the magnet above the upper flipper, not the one above the rollovers, correct?

If so, and if I use the mag-nab button to grab the ball at the upper rollovers (by shooting the left loop if course) that feature is still functional and will cost me a mag-nab... correct?

#4018 4 years ago

If at magnab light is Green the game is in control of magnabs. Whether the game will light/grab at the flipper or the TAP lanes depends on what is happening in the game at the time. More often than not it is the flipper since the goal is to help you make the ramp vs helping you increase playfield multiplier at the lanes or to feed the pops for a given mode.

#4019 4 years ago

Thanks again Josh... so there are times (depending what's happening in the game) when the mag-nab light is green that the side magnet will not grab the ball but let it go to the upper magnet and get grabbed by that, but usually it's the one above the spinner that will grab the ball... and during these moments the player can't make either of the magnets grab the ball if the game wants the other one to nab it...

#4020 4 years ago

Does anyone else have an issue when they hit the beer barrel ramp on the fly (when the ball is flying around the orbit), so perfectly that the ball has enough speed, gets to the top of the yellow ramp, and then flys out of the ramp? I’m not talking about when the ramp changes from the yellow plastic to the wire form (although I’ve had that happen too), I’m talking about it flying out when it’s at the top of the incline of the yellow ramp.

This happens to me probably 50-75% of the time that I make the shot on the fly, which usual results in a stuck ball behind Otto. I do not experience this when making the ramp from the magnab, as obviously there isn’t the same amount of force from a ball at rest.

My game is perfectly level the way it’s supposed to be, and my upper flipper coil power is not cranked up.

Anyone else experiencing this?

Making the shot on the fly is probably the most satisfying shot in the game, and I’d hate to not be able to do it because of this.

If the clear plastic was lengthened to behind Otto’s head I’m sure this would eliminate this problem.

#4021 4 years ago
Quoted from rcb5588:

If the clear plastic was lengthened to behind Otto’s head I’m sure this would eliminate this problem.

In case with the holiday they miss it here, please let them know : https://www.american-pinball.com/support/service/

#4022 4 years ago
Quoted from rcb5588:

Does anyone else have an issue when they hit the beer barrel ramp on the fly (when the ball is flying around the orbit), so perfectly that the ball has enough speed, gets to the top of the yellow ramp, and then flys out of the ramp? I’m not talking about when the ramp changes from the yellow plastic to the wire form (although I’ve had that happen too), I’m talking about it flying out when it’s at the top of the incline of the yellow ramp.
This happens to me probably 50-75% of the time that I make the shot on the fly, which usual results in a stuck ball behind Otto. I do not experience this when making the ramp from the magnab, as obviously there isn’t the same amount of force from a ball at rest.
My game is perfectly level the way it’s supposed to be, and my upper flipper coil power is not cranked up.
Anyone else experiencing this?
Making the shot on the fly is probably the most satisfying shot in the game, and I’d hate to not be able to do it because of this.

Never had that happen that I can recall?

#4023 4 years ago
Quoted from rcb5588:

I make the shot on the fly, which usual results in a stuck ball behind Otto.

I did that 2 times early on, but not since I replaced the flipper rubber to one that is not slick.

Someone had mentioned they thought the slick flipper rubber was putting a spin on the ball and I think they were right.

#4024 4 years ago
Quoted from rcb5588:

Does anyone else have an issue when they hit the beer barrel ramp on the fly (when the ball is flying around the orbit), so perfectly that the ball has enough speed, gets to the top of the yellow ramp, and then flys out of the ramp?

I do have that happen quite a bit, was wondering if there was a fix for it.

#4025 4 years ago

Does anyone have the issue where, when using mag-nab at the right magnet, the ball will be temporarily grabbed, then almost immediately released as Inga starts her countdown so that instead if being held by the magnet, the ball is then thrown at speed back towards the flippers? Sometimes it does a kind of double grab and release in close succession so the ball is thrown back up the playfield to the TAP lanes... all before Inga gets to zwei!

#4026 4 years ago

I did that 2 times early on, but not since I replaced the flipper rubber to one that is not slick.
Someone had mentioned they thought the slick flipper rubber was putting a spin on the ball and I think they were right.

Huh, interesting. I've been wondering why the ball seems to spin more aggressively on Houdini than 95% of the machines I've ever played, and maybe it's the same case there. Well, it's cheap to change the rubber, might as well give it a shot anyway.

#4027 4 years ago

Does anyone have the issue where, when using mag-nab at the right magnet, the ball will be temporarily grabbed, then almost immediately released as Inga starts her countdown so that instead if being held by the magnet, the ball is then thrown at speed back towards the flippers? Sometimes it does a kind of double grab and release in close succession so the ball is thrown back up the playfield to the TAP lanes... all before Inga gets to zwei!

Yes, this sort of thing does happen occasionally on both magnets. I suspect that it's due to the transition between high power (the "catch" action) and reduced power (the "hold" -- lower power to minimize coil heating)... I think that depending on the exact speed of the ball, this can occasionally translate to a "fling" instead of the intended catch-and-hold.

In my experience, this is rather infrequent, and pretty much impossible to reproduce on demand, which also makes it difficult to address, so mostly I attribute it to the chaos that is pinball, but it's possible that we come up with future logic tweaks to reduce the likelihood of this.

#4028 4 years ago
Quoted from Ferret:

In my experience, this is rather infrequent, and pretty much impossible to reproduce on demand, which also makes it difficult to address, so mostly I attribute it to the chaos that is pinball, but it's possible that we come up with future logic tweaks to reduce the likelihood of this.

I see... so there's a time delay between the catch part releasing and the hold part kicking in? On my game it seems to be the norm rather than the exception, and the frequency seems to be increasing... might be worth increasing the catch strength timer so it overlaps with the hold timer... if an overlap is actually possible.

Can the magnet strength be adjusted in the coil strength settings? If so, I could fiddle with that a bit...

#4029 4 years ago
Quoted from rcb5588:

Does anyone else have an issue when they hit the beer barrel ramp on the fly (when the ball is flying around the orbit), so perfectly that the ball has enough speed, gets to the top of the yellow ramp, and then flys out of the ramp?

Never happens in my game. However, I have seen the opposite, a rare “gift” where an air ball lands on the habitrail and slowly rolls into the barrel

#4030 4 years ago

I finally got significant time on an Oktoberfest today. I think this game is pretty good. I think the code is too difficult and the points are hard to come by, but the layout is very nice, and the metal habitrails are great.

#4031 4 years ago

What rubber did you get, I was thinking maybe ordering Titan stuff, just getting a full set so I can replace all rings and posts and so on when the time comes in the future, plus I hate it when shipping is more than the items that I order...

#4032 4 years ago
Quoted from Russell:

I finally got significant time on an Oktoberfest today. I think this game is pretty good. I think the code is too difficult and the points are hard to come by, but the layout is very nice, and the metal habitrails are great.

There trick for more points seems to be the Stein multipliers with easy modes like bumper cars or food frenzy plus the Stein that allows for more time in a tent. Got a couple of millions that way.

#4033 4 years ago

My only other critique is that there’s nothing fun and easy for a beginner to do. For example, it took me several games to get a multiball going. A beginner would have no chance to see MB, and may never even happen into a mode.

#4034 4 years ago
Quoted from Russell:

My only other critique is that there’s nothing fun and easy for a beginner to do. For example, it took me several games to get a multiball going. A beginner would have no chance to see MB, and may never even happen into a mode.

That's true they should add an alternative game mode to get multiballs easier for beginners. Something like in the last ghostbusters code

#4035 4 years ago
Quoted from Russell:

I played just a few games at Chicago Expo. I didn't get very far at all in any of the few games I played. Tough to walk up to this game and get pulled in and hooked via game play. I am guessing this is a game that takes many plays to get pulled in.

I do have Houdini and enjoy it. Houdini takes a bit to get some confidence that you will have fun and the game "takes off" for you. My few plays on Oktoberfest it seems was even more so that way. It probably takes a number of games to get into the enjoyment mode. I hope AP's third title has a quicker immersive feel right off those first few plays. To be honest I was a bit discouraged on my first plays on Oktoberfest. Maybe some code tweaks or options in game play would help.

#4036 4 years ago
Quoted from Russell:

Never thought about it that the Multiball is not easily reachable, but you are right and seems is uncommon when I think about it.
On my machine TENT is lit for the first ball (wonder if that is a setting) and more often than not the ball makes its way into the tent scoop for a lot of players, and starting a mode. But you are right, it is not obvious for somebody just walking up.

Once you learn that, the machine has definitely this "one more game" quality. Had people over last night and we ended up playing it for 5 hours because there is so much to do in the game. And you should hear the screams when you get to the barrel Multiball, people get really excited!

#4037 4 years ago
Quoted from Russell:

A multiball is one shot away. Plunge, shoot tent scoop start the juggling mode.

#4038 4 years ago
Quoted from T3quila:

What rubber did you get,

Marco part # 38-6519-4

Works great for me.

#4039 4 years ago

Marco part # 38-6519-4
Works great for me.

Thank you, I was really hoping you would say Titan because that one is available in light blue going along with the colors of the Bavarian flag. I know I'm childish, but it's a new toy for me and I'm like a 5 year old.

#4040 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

A multiball is one shot away. Plunge, shoot tent scoop start the juggling mode.

NO chance a beginner figures that out.

#4041 4 years ago

Rotor help... or maybe a problem with the code... when I shoot the left orbit that orbit stays lit for quite some time before the lit shot moves to the right orbit... while the left orbit is still lit after just shooting it, will shooting it again (since it's lit) award another rotor shot, or is the thing to do to shoot the unlit right orbit... I.e. has the code switched to wait for a shot to the right orbit, but the light is just being very slow to move over?

Next thing, when hitting an orbit shot, the ball often ends up in the TAP lanes, but I noticed that no matter how many times I try to change the lit lanes, they don't move... are the lights frozen and the game is acknowledging where the unlit lane is, or is there really no way to make the ball roll over the unlit lane until the game snaps out of its frozen inset light thing?

If this is the sign of a bug I can send the data, it was the last game I played...

#4042 4 years ago
Quoted from Russell:

NO chance a beginner figures that out.

I did the first or second time I played the game, although I was once an amateur/semi pro juggler so I seeked it out.

#4043 4 years ago

If this is the sign of a bug I can send the data, it was the last game I played...

I would save it on a USB stick until you hear from them. So you can still play the game.

#4044 4 years ago

Rotor help... or maybe a problem with the code... when I shoot the left orbit that orbit stays lit for quite some time before the lit shot moves to the right orbit... while the left orbit is still lit after just shooting it, will shooting it again (since it's lit) award another rotor shot, or is the thing to do to shoot the unlit right orbit... I.e. has the code switched to wait for a shot to the right orbit, but the light is just being very slow to move over?
Next thing, when hitting an orbit shot, the ball often ends up in the TAP lanes, but I noticed that no matter how many times I try to change the lit lanes, they don't move... are the lights frozen and the game is acknowledging where the unlit lane is, or is there really no way to make the ball roll over the unlit lane until the game snaps out of its frozen inset light thing?

Just played to see if I can reproduce your issues and I can't. I'm on the latest software, I had a beta Software in the machine out of the box that had lots of bugs which version was close enough to the official one so I didn't notice at first. Check if you have latest software.

#4045 4 years ago
Quoted from T3quila:

Just played to see if I can reproduce your issues and I can't. I'm on the latest software, I had a beta Software in the machine out of the box that had lots of bugs which version was close enough to the official one so I didn't notice at first. Check if you have latest software.

Thanks for taking the time to check this out! I've definitely got the latest code in my game. So when in Rotor mode, and you shoot the first lit loop shot (the left one) does your light insert immediately change to the right loop shot, or does it continue to stay on the left loop for about 5 seconds before moving to the right?

#4046 4 years ago

Thanks for taking the time to check this out! I've definitely got the latest code in my game. So when in Rotor mode, and you shoot the first lit loop shot (the left one) does your light insert immediately change to the right loop shot, or does it continue to stay on the left loop for about 5 seconds before moving to the right?

It definitely doesn't take 5 seconds for me, might not be instant but there is not that long if a delay for me. Also I can move the TAP lights freely and nice the unlit ones below where the ball is about to drop through.

#4047 4 years ago
Quoted from Russell:

On default (Medium) settings, the scoop is lit for Visit Tent at start of game, so any ball that wanders in there will start a tent mode. (And since it's flashing, hopefully even beginners recognize to shoot that.) Also, if you haven't collected a stein for a different tent, the suggested first tent is Juggling, which is a multiball (with a pretty easy add-a-ball available too). We did want it so a fun multiball would be easily accessible to all players. If you have a different experience, possibly the Oktoberfest you've been playing has harder settings.

That said, we've certainly been listening to feedback from all our players and owners regarding both Oktoberfest and Houdini, and we're incorporating that feedback into our design for game 3. Needless to say, we want players of all skill levels and styles of play to love our games!

The lit shots in Rotor rotate on a timed basis, not every time you make a shot... so potentially you could make the same shot twice before they move. However, from a points perspective, you get more points by hitting DIFFERENT lit shots. If you find that Rotor shots rotate very slowly on your game, check Settings > Oktoberfest > Rotor Difficulty, and make it harder if desired.

Please send a log. There's nothing intentionally weird about lane change for either T-A-P or T-E-N-T lanes, they should work in the expected way, so if they're not rotating when you press the flipper buttons, something is wrong.

Thanks!

#4048 4 years ago
Quoted from Ferret:

That said, we've certainly been listening to feedback from all our players and owners

And I personally have seen all that, and it is the reason as a HUO I have both of your games and waiting on your 3rd pin to add to my collection.

I wish you the best with all you do in the future, and I hope you will always have time to interact as needed.

#4049 4 years ago

I wish you the best with all you do in the future, and I hope you will always have time to interact as needed.

Me too ! If you see American Pinball at a show, or the factory. Check out Ferret. He's cool. A great part of the AP team.

#4050 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

He's cool

But, is he as cool as YOU?

AP is awesome, and LTG is awesome.

I am just so glad I found Pinside.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 8,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 7,795.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 7,795.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 7,899.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 140.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

Machine - For Sale
Queen Creek, AZ
$ 39.99
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

$ 129.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

8,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dixon, CA
$ 11.99
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

There are 4,992 posts in this topic. You are on page 81 of 100.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/joe-balcer-confirms-oktoberfest-as-american-pinbals-next-pin/page/81?hl=dandandan and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.