(Topic ID: 224963)

Joe Balcer confirms Oktoberfest as American Pinball's next pin.

By PismoArcade

1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 3,945 posts
  • 414 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 hours ago by knockerlover
  • Topic is favorited by 64 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 432 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

SmartSelect_20191031-211955_Chrome (resized).jpg
19-10-24 (resized).png
E9FA1C67-CC39-45AA-9D44-5F1827E5BBD6 (resized).jpeg
22605FC4-3D2B-44A6-ADB2-B7221410C45E (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
XS5LK (resized).png
IMG_20191007_184649953 (resized).jpg
4d3ce1f2fc7bf999742aa06b8c644871dada44cf.png (resized).jpg
Screen Shot 2019-10-02 at 5.27.53 PM (resized).png
20190930_211302 (resized).jpg
20190928_121546 (resized).jpg
APcake (resized).jpg
IMG_6412 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6422 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6420 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6414 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 3945 posts in this topic. You are on page 78 of 79.
#3851 25 days ago

One thing that bugs me is that when the flippers are used to make a selection (tent or stein) then the flippers flip... same when the ball is lost and the game is doing the bonus count... to speed it up the flipper buttons cause the flippers to flip... these flippers seem quite loud... is it possible to do something to the code so the game realises that you're using the flipper buttons to make a selection or speed things up and therefore not fire the flippers?

#3852 25 days ago

Certainly possible. Don’t think we’ve previously had a request for that. Flippers should not be any louder than any other three flipper game, though.

#3853 25 days ago

I see challenges at times with the TAP rollovers. The lights seem sluggish to change with the flipper action at certain times with lots going on.. and I've even seen rollovers ignored, especially after a magna-grab. For instance, a mag-grab that almost immediately drops the ball down the middle rollover and the rollover is not 'lit' afterwards. Thoughts ferret ?

#3854 25 days ago
Quoted from Ferret:

Certainly possible. Don’t think we’ve previously had a request for that. Flippers should not be any louder than any other three flipper game, though.

It would be a good move I think... pointess flipper action is a good thing to eliminate... for me personally it would help because my game is in the basement of my home, and flipper 'clacks' are not appreciated 'upstairs'... flippers are generally louder when they're not pushing a steel ball of course...

I've noticed in Stein selection (and possibly tent selection) that if you're really quick at releasing the flipper buttons then you can avoid the 'clack'... so there must be already a timer on that... which could be extended to make it easier... but the 'bonus speed up' doesn't have a timer... you can't escape the 'clack' unless you just sit out the bonus count... which is not that bad a thing anyway... certainly more entertaining than Bally Star Trek

#3855 24 days ago
Quoted from Ferret:

Regarding the flippers flipping when selecting a stein (or tent), I noticed it immediately when I first got the game. It's a "nit" for sure, but the way I see it, polishing little things like that adds to the perception of a top-notch, high-quality product.

Regarding the loudness of the flippers, I've noticed it (and gotten comments about it from at least one pinball friend). It's another nit. The responsiveness and strength of the flippers in Oktoberfest is fantastic, so I'd be hesitant to change anything here. In terms of loudness though, I wonder if the flipper supplier uses well-matched components, including the correct coil stop bracket... or if that would even make a difference.

#3856 24 days ago

Another improvement that I think would be fairly easy to implement is that at the moment, when choosing a Stein, the current code doesn't give you long to think about it... no time to read the Stein benefit, then check what tents you've completed, consider other factors, explain to friends learning the game what's happening, top up your beer etc... after just a few seconds the game selects the one you're considering for you... maybe the 'auto select' time can be adjusted in the settings, but I didn't notice it... ideally I'd like the game to simply wait for me to decide and never 'time out'... Can such an option to change this 'auto select' time be put into the code, with a 'never' option? Same applies to Tents... although I find myself contemplating Steins more than tents.

#3857 24 days ago

Switching between steins resets the timer, so you can just keep flipping through until you find one. Plus, it’s pinball, not a board game. Keep the ball going

#3858 23 days ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

I see challenges at times with the TAP rollovers. The lights seem sluggish to change with the flipper action at certain times with lots going on.. and I've even seen rollovers ignored, especially after a magna-grab. For instance, a mag-grab that almost immediately drops the ball down the middle rollover and the rollover is not 'lit' afterwards. Thoughts ferret ?

Can't say any of that makes sense... the logic for the TAP rollovers is exactly the same as that for the TENT lanes, or OKTOBER FEST targets, or PROST targets. (Obviously some of those don't lane-change.) But if you experience this, please send me logs if able, and I'll gladly take a peek.

Re: killing flippers during stein/tent select... thanks for the feedback, folks; we'll consider that for a future release. Don't want to drop new features into the current beta at this point, or it'll never get released.

It was my pleasure to meet a bunch of you at Expo this weekend!

#3859 23 days ago
Quoted from pinballslave:

Another improvement that I think would be fairly easy to implement is that at the moment, when choosing a Stein, the current code doesn't give you long to think about it... no time to read the Stein benefit, then check what tents you've completed, consider other factors, explain to friends learning the game what's happening, top up your beer etc... after just a few seconds the game selects the one you're considering for you... maybe the 'auto select' time can be adjusted in the settings, but I didn't notice it... ideally I'd like the game to simply wait for me to decide and never 'time out'... Can such an option to change this 'auto select' time be put into the code, with a 'never' option? Same applies to Tents... although I find myself contemplating Steins more than tents.

Agreed....also think whoever did the art for you avatar / profile thumbnail should do a alternate back glass for the game! Old news I know and love the game, but just think the art on the girl they used is pretty mediocre. It would help motivate me to put one alongside my Houdini for sure.

#3860 23 days ago
Quoted from GrandFireball1:

Switching between steins resets the timer, so you can just keep flipping through until you find one. Plus, it’s pinball, not a board game. Keep the ball going

So you've never cradled the ball deciding what to shoot at next? I'd like to decide how to play the game if that's OK with you, Stein selection is a strategic choice, like a board game... I don't see how being given more time to decide can negatively effect anyone... you can still select a Stein immediately with the flipper buttons! I realise that flipping between Steins is a way to delay the auto select, but its a pain trying to read and adsorb the benefits while switching Steins... and it won't let me get another beer, unless I'm playing with someone else and can get him to keep shuffling Steins 'till I get back... a simple code tweak can solve this and won't force players who don't like to wait to wait... best for everyone, no?

#3861 23 days ago
Quoted from pinballslave:

So you've never cradled the ball deciding what to shoot at next? I'd like to decide how to play the game if that's OK with you, Stein selection is a strategic choice, like a board game... I don't see how being given more time to decide can negatively effect anyone... you can still select a Stein immediately with the flipper buttons! I realise that flipping between Steins is a way to delay the auto select, but its a pain trying to read and adsorb the benefits while switching Steins... and it won't let me get another beer, unless I'm playing with someone else and can get him to keep shuffling Steins 'till I get back... a simple code tweak can solve this and won't force players who don't like to wait to wait... best for everyone, no?

Meh?

#3862 23 days ago

I'm guessing that question is meant for me, but to be honest I don't understand what you're asking...

#3863 23 days ago

Had a great time at expo with dandandan and ferret. Dan, thanks for giving me a tour at the factory-
E9FA1C67-CC39-45AA-9D44-5F1827E5BBD6 (resized).jpeg

#3864 22 days ago

Very nice looking graphics update that was shown off at Expo. Are these going to be included in the next code update?

Also, if I restart a game when I am on, say, ball 2, by pressing the start button, I get the yellow final score information screen for a few seconds, and then the machine crashes and goes through what looks like a complete 3 or 4 minute reboot sequence before I can play a new game. Is this going to be fixed in the next release?

#3865 22 days ago
Quoted from mfresh:

Very nice looking graphics update that was shown off at Expo. Are these going to be included in the next code update?
Also, if I restart a game when I am on, say, ball 2, by pressing the start button, I get the yellow final score information screen for a few seconds, and then the machine crashes and goes through what looks like a complete 3 or 4 minute reboot sequence before I can play a new game. Is this going to be fixed in the next release?

Yes, what was shown at Expo is the new code, we have done or two things we want to address and then it will be released. That issue on re-starts, should be resolved.

#3866 22 days ago
Quoted from rosh:

Yes, what was shown at Expo is the new code,

If you haven't played Oktoberfest yet, do so as soon as possible. The game is a lot of fun !

LTG : )

#3867 22 days ago

Played Oktoberfest at expo. Excellent job on the beta code update. The graphics are greatly improved. The music and call-outs are expanded nicely. And the theatrics of the game are much more immersive. The multi balls have much more pizzazz to them now and amps up the game play. You guys over there at American are nailing it and I can't wait to install the new code. Keep up the great work! Met most of you at expo and the factory tour, it was a pleasure. Thank you.

#3868 22 days ago
Quoted from Zaquar:

Agreed....also think whoever did the art for you avatar / profile thumbnail should do a alternate back glass for the game!

All AP need to do to solve that one is release the art (sans monkey to protect people) and sell it on their website... they would then have more satisfied customers and not offend anyone... that queue of people matched the tent mode start graphics nicely and the people in the queue, such as my av lady, we're more attractively drawn... clever, beautiful... and gone...

#3869 22 days ago
Quoted from rosh:

Yes, what was shown at Expo is the new code, we have done or two things we want to address and then it will be released. That issue on re-starts, should be resolved.

Fingers crossed it's before the weekend! I'm throwing an Oktoberfest party for my 40th on Sat featuring this pin.

#3870 21 days ago
Quoted from Ferret:

Re: killing flippers during stein/tent select... thanks for the feedback, folks; we'll consider that for a future release. Don't want to drop new features into the current beta at this point, or it'll never get released.

My suggestion is that flippers don't fire when there's no ball in play, unless it's sitting in the plunger lane and the player is testing their response ... basically when the ball is in the under playfield subway waiting for the player to select stuff or speed stuff up, or in the ball trough... so this would apply to Stein and tent select, but also to any speed-up features like bonus tally-up, mode start info speed up etc... it also goes towards extending flipper life... as you know, when the ball's not on the flipper to adsorb some energy, all that energy goes into the end-stop, which eventually deforms from repeated heavy whacking... a game with extra flippers inevitably suffers from this of course, but the effect can be reduced by eliminating un-necessary flipper action... I'm pretty sure most people here get annoyed when a youngster starts 'playing' your game by repeatedly pressing the flipper buttons...

#3871 21 days ago
Quoted from Coz:

Had a great time at expo with dandandan and ferret. Dan, thanks for giving me a tour at the factory-
[quoted image]

It was a pleasure having you and EVERYONE over for a plant visit, our doors are always open to anyone who would like a factory tour (make an appointment with me anytime!) It was great putting faces with names. Plan on touring our new facility as well (when ever it gets done)

#3872 20 days ago

Here is a sneak peak at the new and improved animation debuted at Expo last week end starts at 17:31ish
They really did an amazing job looks like a whole new game!

#3873 20 days ago

Had lots of fun with the new update at Expo. Reached Flipper Maester but still haven't gotten Calorie Coma or Stein Slinging yet.

My favorite addition is the lightshow as Corkscrew Multiball begins (lights turn red). Really adds oomph to the sequence, and was something I really thought was lacking.

My only suggestion: I feel like the Beer Barrel Multiball intro could use a lightshow as well. Also not sure if there's any light effect to "warn" you when balls eject from the Beer Barrel lock?

Overall, well done to American Pinball for the game.

#3874 20 days ago

Hi guys. I own an houdini machine and I enjoy it a lot. I'm still thinking of getting an octoberfest but I haven't been able to test it yet. I'm looking for a movie that shows the game with the latest code and the updated music themes. I found nothing on youtube. Can you help me ? I still dont know if I should go for an oktoberfest or a JP premium from Stern. Thank you

#3875 20 days ago
Quoted from pimseb:

Hi guys. I own an houdini machine and I enjoy it a lot. I'm still thinking of getting an octoberfest but I haven't been able to test it yet. I'm looking for a movie that shows the game with the latest code and the updated music themes. I found nothing on youtube. Can you help me ? I still dont know if I should go for an oktoberfest or a JP premium from Stern. Thank you

Some of it is in the video I linked the code has not been released yet and once it is released we'll have some video out there.

#3876 20 days ago
Quoted from DanDanDAN:

Some of it is in the video I linked the code has not been released yet and once it is released we'll have some video out there.

I have no sound in this youtube video. I tried on my phone and on my android TV box. Sound is very low and glitches

#3877 20 days ago
Quoted from pimseb:

I have no sound in this youtube video. I tried on my phone and on my android TV box. Sound is very low and glitches

We'll have something up soon!

#3878 20 days ago
Quoted from pimseb:

Can you help me ? I still dont know if I should go for an oktoberfest

Please let me help you.

Oktoberfest.

Lots of fun. You'll be glad you did.

#3879 20 days ago

Hey Guys , I just picked up and Oktoberfest yesterday. I am really liking it so far. The only issue that is really bothering me is the Food ramp. Every single time I hit that shot the ball comes flying down the ramp and when it hits the end it flies off the ramp hits the glass and drains . Has anybody come up with a fix or something for thenemd of the wire form?

Also noticed one other thing. I can just keep hitting the flippers and I get points. Everytime I flip a flipper I get points.

#3880 20 days ago
Quoted from murfe88:

Also noticed one other thing. I can just keep hitting the flippers and I get points. Everytime I flip a flipper I get points.

There is a switch test in there. Go into it. Bang on playfield. Adjust any switch that register on the screen. It's too sensitive.

#3881 20 days ago
Quoted from murfe88:

Hey Guys , I just picked up and Oktoberfest yesterday. I am really liking it so far. The only issue that is really bothering me is the Food ramp. Every single time I hit that shot the ball comes flying down the ramp and when it hits the end it flies off the ramp hits the glass and drains . Has anybody come up with a fix or something for thenemd of the wire form?

Ramp needs to be tweaked a bit,looks like I added a stack of washers under the left standoff Nut at the end of ramp to raise it to the right but test ball bounce and adj to get best results,I am about 80 to 90 percent

#3882 20 days ago
Quoted from pimseb:

There must be something odd with the way Pinball News recorded or uploaded their videos from expo because I have problems with playback from my Jabra USB speaker on them but if I switch to the internal speakers on my laptop it's fine. I've watched more Youtube videos than I can count on the same setup and I've never seen this before.

#3883 19 days ago
Quoted from murfe88:

As always I recommend talking to Barry in support barry@american-pinball.com

#3884 19 days ago

AP, on the next title or code update, the score bar on the top of the screen should be placed at the bottom of the screen so it is easier to see while playing. LCD screens are still new to the game of pinball and over the years details like this will be perfected.

#3885 19 days ago

Why do you find it easier to see the scoreboard on the bottom of the screen?

#3886 19 days ago
Quoted from Ferret:

That's simple, so you don't have to divert your eyes so far while you are playing. I rarely check my grand score while playing but I like to see my score on modes and would like that they display a bit longer

#3887 18 days ago

Any chance of displaying the number of ducks scored in digits at the end of each ball as well as the visual representation of all the ducks in a row?

#3888 18 days ago
Quoted from Ferret:

It makes perfect sense. To me the score is more important information than the animations while playing. Having it on the bottom closer to the playfield they are in my line of sight. There really isnt a reason they should be on top? If you test it out I bet people would agree.

#3889 18 days ago
Quoted from mfresh:

Any chance of displaying the number of ducks scored in digits at the end of each ball as well as the visual representation of all the ducks in a row?

This is in fact shown for a couple seconds before the ducks overtake it. Ditto for tent and stein counts.

#3890 18 days ago
Quoted from Ferret:

This is in fact shown for a couple seconds before the ducks overtake it. Ditto for tent and stein counts.

I have never managed to see it in time, so I think that needs changing imho. Needs to be visible for longer or preferably permanently so that it can be seen easily. No advantage to make it difficult so see is there?

#3891 18 days ago

I like Ocktoberfest so much I just sold a AC/DC to grab a NIB Houdini also. Whatever your 3rd title is I am all in on it also.

#3892 18 days ago

My basement floor is out of level bad. What is that cell phone ap that you can load and then lay your phone on the playfield to check for the 6.5?

#3893 18 days ago
Quoted from JohnnyPinball007:

My basement floor is out of level bad. What is that cell phone ap that you can load and then lay your phone on the playfield to check for the 6.5?

PinGuy

#3894 18 days ago

I love the score at the bottom idea. I have have wish pinball machines ALWAYS displayed the ball number. I tend to forget and am always looking for it up on the screen.

#3896 18 days ago

Hadn't played Oktoberfest since March of 2019, but got a chance to play it again when visiting American Pinball earlier this week. Very nice and compact facility. The game improved greatly since I last played it and it has become quite a fun game. There is a lot to shoot for. There are still a few things that I think can be improved, mostly software related, which I'll share with AP. Overall, my compliments for the improvements of the past months.

#3897 17 days ago
Quoted from JohnnyPinball007:

I like Ocktoberfest so much I just sold a AC/DC to grab a NIB Houdini also. Whatever your 3rd title is I am all in on it also.

The next title is going to be a sequel called Mayfest, Pinball Uncorked. It has a similar mech as the barrel but the balls swirl around in a wooden looking tub like grape stomping. I think the delay is getting the music rights from Ryan Adams, Billy Joel and UB4O.

#3898 17 days ago

I know there is a 'wizard mode' for getting one of each stein... Stein slinging... is this mode repeated when the player gets 2 of each stein? If not, there should be... call it Stein slinging re-filled, or something like that.. and another for 3 each... the final frontier perhaps... each time the mode repeats the jackpot values should increase imo... maybe 2x for re-filled and 3x for the final one... anyone else like this idea?

#3899 17 days ago

In the rather unlikely event that someone gets Stein Slinging more than once in a game... yes, scores are higher second time through. Doesn’t change names though.

#3900 15 days ago
Quoted from Ferret:

In the rather unlikely event that someone gets Stein Slinging more than once in a game... yes, scores are higher second time through. Doesn’t change names though.

Cool. The name re-filled was a play on The Matrix sequal (obviously).. thought it was a funny name for this wizard mode sequal... the fact that it's there is more important than giving it a funny name of course.

Quoted from unigroove:

There are still a few things that I think can be improved, mostly software related, which I'll share with AP

I'm very curious to hear what improvements you have in mind... and I think others might be here... it would be interesting if you can share the main suggestions here... then people can comment on them... might help AP decide what to take on board based on how many people are behind them. I still strongly think Stein selection should not unavoidably auto-choose, at least without a countdown timer, but ideally with an 'off' option in the menu... many times the game selects a Stein I don't want just after I've looked at the map and realised the mode that Stein boosts is green...

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Great American Pinball
$ 269.00
Cabinet - Other
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
$ 279.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Operation Pinball
Machine - For Sale
St. Clair Shores, MI
$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
$ 119.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com
$ 7,399.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro
There are 3945 posts in this topic. You are on page 78 of 79.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside