(Topic ID: 224963)

Joe Balcer confirms Oktoberfest as American Pinball's next pin.

By PismoArcade

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 4,992 posts
  • 466 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Ferret
  • Topic is favorited by 79 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

8880f5e6998fb0663ff4a9a77f40c92eb6c125f2 (resized).png
okt (resized).jpg
59547925-ED73-4D13-9C0B-C0B4DB7F1F2C (resized).jpeg
20210418_173000 (resized).jpg
IMG_8199 (resized).jpg
20211127_232248 (resized).jpg
BLKFRIDAY2021 (1) (resized).png
16341706819071145026220657450351 (resized).jpg
AAAABWnlUYQGnwPYrDFi3t2ZJg8xDmhdqB2hGmDLTPnpLg4SjPq15X8P8IAl66bSXZXeQjCVgv9i_WrsIbMEvcUa9pH863X- (resized).jpg
20211006_190939 (resized).jpg
47cc5c7a51600f42dccc5022b9550eca8025c861 (resized).jpg
IMG_7361 (resized).jpg
IMG_7362 (resized).jpg
Okt upgraded coil stop - blue = new (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
20210620_160449 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 4,992 posts in this topic. You are on page 77 of 100.
#3801 4 years ago

My upper flipper has been sticking in the up position a little for a long time. It is getting a lot worse now.

What do I need to check?

#3802 4 years ago
Quoted from JohnnyPinball007:

What do I need to check?

First, is the flipper button switch sticking ? ( Should be a switch test in the game for that )

Then I'd check if the flipper has a tiny bit of up and down play ( not back and forth ) so pawl isn't sticking under the playfield. Then check return spring is good and coil stop is on tight.

If all good so far, then I'd remove the coil stop, slide coil off. Inspect coil sleeve for wear or cracks, check if the end of the plunger has a sharp edge or a mushroomed end and wants to be replaced.

LTG : )

#3803 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

If all good so far, then I'd remove the coil stop, slide coil off. Inspect coil sleeve for wear or cracks, check if the end of the plunger has a sharp edge or a mushroomed end and wants to be replaced.

At this point, see if the plunger/plastic link/pawl wiggle freely.

#3804 4 years ago

Thank You!

#3805 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

First, is the flipper button switch sticking ? ( Should be a switch test in the game for that )

To cover everything. If the flipper button is sticking. Remove it. Spray it with 409, Windex, and cleaner. Rinse thoroughly with clear water. Dry thoroughly. Stick it back in the game.

Dirt, salt, sweat, all kinds of stuff from hands can get in there and muck things up. On location add pop and beer to the list.

#3806 4 years ago
Quoted from dannunz:

Making the side ramp with ease now!
I changed the rubber on the upper flipper to a standard flipper rubber not silicone. Than I loosened the flipper bat and was able to push it back another 1/8 of an inch due to the flipper rubber being thinner. Making the shot every time now when mag nab stops it and sometimes on the fly now. I did also up the power by 5 clicks. Game is so much more fun n now that I can get beer barrel multi ball going.

This actually makes me wonder whether a good proportion of machines come from the factory with the flipper set a little too far from the wire rail so that the beer barrel shot is impossible for the owners, however much they practice it. Other machines may have the flipper set closer to the rail, and that might explain why those owners find that the shot is perfectly possible, although it requires some practice to nail it.

I took the glass off mine, fed the ball to the flipper, and tried the shot multiple times and failed to make the shot - ever. There just wasn't enough power to get it up the ramp. No amount of trying to make the shot from different areas of the flipper helped. Now that I have adjusted the flipper so that it sits hard against the rail I can make the shot frequently, although it is a hard shot so not all of the time.

Could factory positioning of the upper flipper explain why some people are complaining that the shot is unmakeable and others insist that you just need a bit of practice to get it right?

#3807 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Joe is still with American Pinball. And designing new pins.

I was going to ask if Joe isn't here anymore who is the guy sitting at his desk and working on new projects everyday?

#3808 4 years ago
Quoted from DanDanDAN:

I was going to ask if Joe isn't here anymore who is the guy sitting at his desk and working on new projects everyday?

It could be a Zando-Zan that's working on "The Last Starfighter" design!

#3809 4 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

It could be a Zando-Zan that's working on "The Last Starfighter" design!

XS5LK (resized).pngXS5LK (resized).png
#3810 4 years ago
Quoted from mfresh:

This actually makes me wonder whether a good proportion of machines come from the factory with the flipper set a little too far from the wire rail so that the beer barrel shot is impossible for the owners, however much they practice it. Other machines may have the flipper set closer to the rail, and that might explain why those owners find that the shot is perfectly possible, although it requires some practice to nail it.
I took the glass off mine, fed the ball to the flipper, and tried the shot multiple times and failed to make the shot - ever. There just wasn't enough power to get it up the ramp. No amount of trying to make the shot from different areas of the flipper helped. Now that I have adjusted the flipper so that it sits hard against the rail I can make the shot frequently, although it is a hard shot so not all of the time.
Could factory positioning of the upper flipper explain why some people are complaining that the shot is unmakeable and others insist that you just need a bit of practice to get it right?

Did you change out your flipper rubber to gain an extra 1/8 to the rail? Make a big difference

#3811 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Joe is still with American Pinball. And designing new pins.

Great to hear! Oktoberfest will be the 4th Balcer designed game in my current collection.

#3812 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

If the flipper button is sticking.

It is the flipper acting up. The button is fine. I am going to look at everything you said when I open the game up later to change the flipper rubber and try the extra 1/8 adjustment others are talking about.

Thanks again LTG for the info!

#3813 4 years ago
Quoted from DanDanDAN:

The little guy carrying Nirmal around at Expo last year ?

#3814 4 years ago
Quoted from dannunz:

Did you change out your flipper rubber to gain an extra 1/8 to the rail? Make a big difference

Yup. And then loosened the flipper and moved it hard against the rail, and put the power to about 30

#3815 4 years ago
Quoted from mfresh:

Yup. And then loosened the flipper and moved it hard against the rail, and put the power to about 30

Just a thought, but what about taking the rubber off, then pushing the flipper back a bit more (so the rubberless bat hits the rear rail) then put the rubber back on... the final angle when the bat hits the end if it's stroke will be more 'pointing down', just like what you've done does... but more-so. The stroke will be limited, but by tweaking the power up a bit more you'll get the energy back... just thinking that maybe it's that final angle that's helping the ball go better up the ramp...

#3816 4 years ago
Quoted from dannunz:

I loosened the flipper bat and pushed is a tight as possible agents the metal stop behind it. While pushing it I tightened the flipper bat.

That ramp just does not like me. I changed the flipper rubber, and I still have no room to move the flipper closer against the metal stop.

Last night that upper flipper was hanging in the up position, I was going to start looking at what LTG told me, but before I raised the playfield I wanted to see how the new regular flipper rubber felt, and hell yeah, at least no flipper sticking at the moment. (I still can not make the ramp, but I think it is because I don't shoot worth a crap most of the time). And yeah, I am on 30 on that flipper.

Anyway, thanks again LTG!

#3817 4 years ago
Quoted from JohnnyPinball007:

That ramp just does not like me. I changed the flipper rubber, and I still have no room to move the flipper closer against the metal stop.
Last night that upper flipper was hanging in the up position, I was going to start looking at what LTG told me, but before I raised the playfield I wanted to see how the new regular flipper rubber felt, and hell yeah, at least no flipper sticking at the moment. (I still can not make the ramp, but I think it is because I don't shoot worth a crap most of the time). And yeah, I am on 30 on that flipper.
Anyway, thanks again LTG!

You dont want to bump up the power to much. Five clicks up is the sweet spot for me. The way I was able to move the flipper back was pick up the play field. Loosen the nut holding the flipper bat. Than push and hold the flipper bat as far back as possible. While holding it tighten up the nut.

#3818 4 years ago

Maybe some people like to listen to him, but: he's nowhere near a reliable source now, is he?

#3819 4 years ago
Quoted from sven:

Maybe some people like to listen to him, but: he's nowhere near a reliable source now, is he?

Haha. Absolutely not. Entertainment only people.

#3820 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Haha. Absolutely not. Entertainment only people.

This is what I think of anytime someone mentions the tool.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#3821 4 years ago

Hahaha. I’d like to ASS you a few questions.

#3822 4 years ago

He doesn't even play pinball deeply enough to understand a game or playability, just critiques everything like the art classes I took in college. Funny if Oktoberfest is the worst game theme coming from someone who bought a Magic Girl?

#3823 4 years ago
Quoted from Viggin900:

Funny if Oktoberfest is the worst game theme coming from someone who bought a Magic Girl?

Personally I think Oktoberfest is an excellent theme... as I'm sure a lot of other visitors to this thread do... basically a blank slate full of potential for inoffensive humour and packed with fun things... I find myself trying to imagine another theme that could have the same potential as this... which hasn't yet been done... I struggle to think of one!! Probably more a reflection of my lack of imagination.

#3824 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballslave:

Personally I think Oktoberfest is an excellent theme... as I'm sure a lot of other visitors to this thread do... basically a blank slate full of potential for inoffensive humour and packed with fun things... I find myself trying to imagine another theme that could have the same potential as this... which hasn't yet been done... I struggle to think of one!! Probably more a reflection of my lack of imagination.

A lot of the top pinball machines that are original themes were not well received when they came out in the 90’s. Some were even sold at a clearance sale. I expect Octoberfest to be one of those games 10 years down the road.

#3825 4 years ago
Quoted from dannunz:

A lot of the top pinball machines that are original themes were not well received when they came out in the 90’s. Some were even sold at a clearance sale.

Prime example being CC... Distributors were selling them cheap to make way for the 'amazing' new Pin 2Ks that were going to hit the streets... even B/W gave up on CC to get Pin2Ks out... still sad I let my CC go.

#3826 4 years ago

I'm noticing on my game that quite often when I make the left loop shot, instead of the ball flying behind the upper rollovers and round to upper flipper, about 60% of the time it will hit something and either bounce back down the left loop lane or bounce partly back and then vanish from view to emerge trickling to the 'T' rollover... a good shot to the loop doesn't seem to matter... obviously a weak shot won't make it past the rollovers, but I'd have thought a good shot should always make it round... I'm guessing this is not how the game is designed to play... and was wondering if anyone else has this issue?

#3827 4 years ago

I'm noticing on my game that quite often when I make the left loop shot, instead of the ball flying behind the upper rollovers and round to upper flipper, about 60% if the time it will hit something and either bounce back down the left loop lane or bounce partly back and then vanish from view to emerge trickling to the 'T' rollover... a good shot to the loop doesn't seem to matter... obviously a weak shot won't make it past the rollovers, but I'd have thought a good shot should always make it round... I'm guessing this is not how the game is designed to play... and was wondering if anyone else has this issue?

I have had my game for a while and this was the first thing I had to massage or Adjust,I looked to see where the ball was hitting and I removed the rail and plastic then bent it in and sanded down the plastic,I hope you can see in picture,this has Made the orbit shot around to the upper flipper so much better,hope this helps,it did me
22605FC4-3D2B-44A6-ADB2-B7221410C45E (resized).jpeg22605FC4-3D2B-44A6-ADB2-B7221410C45E (resized).jpeg

#3828 4 years ago
Quoted from rockrand:

I have had my game for a while and this was the first thing I had to massage or Adjust,I looked to see where the ball was hitting and I removed the rail and plastic then bent it in and sanded down the plastic,I hope you can see in picture,this has Made the orbit shot around to the upper flipper so much better,hope this helps,it did me

My ball doesn't seem to be making it this far to be honest, it seems to be rebounding off the left rollover post rubber... its like something is making the ball bounce downwards as it travels under the beer barrel ramp so it's not tight against the rear ball guide... only way to see what's going on is to remove the beer barrel ramp I guess... when I get past this hurdle I may then need to make your mod too! Or maybe it IS making it round and bouncing off the place you modified and it's so quick I'm missing it... need to pay closer attention... with some glass-off testing...

#3829 4 years ago

Keep Us advised

#3830 4 years ago

I'm noticing on my game that quite often when I make the left loop shot, instead of the ball flying behind the upper rollovers and round to upper flipper, about 60% of the time it will hit something and either bounce back down the left loop lane or bounce partly back ... and was wondering if anyone else has this issue?

Yup I've had this issue. It has been vaguely bothering me that the orbot shot doesn't seem to work much of the time but I've been busy sorting out the barrel ramp shot before moving on to it. I was thinking maybe the magnet at the top is activating automatically to trap it so I haven't looked in to it yet but it's next on my list! But I will look at the rail and plastic that rockrand was talking about.

#3831 4 years ago

Quick rule question. Let’s say I play Looper and get 4 shots then drain. Next ball I finish looper and only hit one shot total. Does the 10% bonus in the end of ball bonus use the total Looper score from both attempts, or just the last one?

#3832 4 years ago

Just uses the score from the attempt where you won. And of course, scoring in tent modes generally starts relatively low and accelerates the more shots you make in a single attempt, so in the situation you describe, the Tent Win Bonus will probably be pretty small. On the other hand, since the Tent Win Bonus is multiplied by the number of tents you won in a single ball, it might still be lucrative if you had won a few tents during the second ball.

#3833 4 years ago
Quoted from mfresh:

Yup I've had this issue. It has been vaguely bothering me that the orbot shot doesn't seem to work much of the time but I've been busy sorting out the barrel ramp shot before moving on to it. I was thinking maybe the magnet at the top is activating automatically to trap it so I haven't looked in to it yet but it's next on my list! But I will look at the rail and plastic that rockrand was talking about.

Being more observant yesterday it seems like the issue is that the ball is falling away from the upper ball guide as it passes over the upper rollover lanes and is hitting the top of one of the rollover lane divide post rubbers and bouncing back... this upper part of the ball guide should be curved so that the ball is pushed against it with centrifugal force... but if it's straight, then gravity will inevitably take over. Can someone at AP perhaps advise if this upper ball guide is straight or curved? If it's curved, perhaps the radius is too big for the ball to stay against it...?

#3834 4 years ago

Being more observant yesterday it seems like the issue is that the ball is falling away from the upper ball guide as it passes over the upper rollover lanes and is hitting the top of one of the rollover lane divide post rubbers and bouncing back... this upper part of the ball guide should be curved so that the ball is pushed against it with centrifugal force... but if it's straight, then gravity will inevitably take over. Can someone at AP perhaps advise if this upper ball guide is straight or curved? If it's curved, perhaps the radius is too big for the ball to stay against it...?

Check playfield pitch maybe?

I've had no issues with shots in the left orbit. Sometimes I'll try and hit a weak or ricocheting shot up the left orbit so I can save a Magnab and get it in the rollovers for a playfield multiplier or in the pops for a mode.

#3835 4 years ago
Quoted from PokerJake:

Check playfield pitch maybe?

My pitch is quite shallow to be honest... I set the feet adjusters as AP recommended... all ramps easily achievable out of the box I'm pleased to say! I've a feeling my upper ball guide has a bad curve... May need to strip the playfield a bit to try and tweak it...

#3836 4 years ago

I've a feeling my upper ball guide has a bad curve... May need to strip the playfield a bit to try and tweak it...

E-mail Barry [email protected] I'm sure he can help you out with any tweaks you may need to make

#3837 4 years ago
Quoted from DanDanDAN:

E-mail Barry [email protected] I'm sure he can help you out with any tweaks you may need to make

Will do! Thanks for the tip!

#3838 4 years ago

Will do! Thanks for the tip!

I have this same issue, and I'd also say it's about 60%-70% of the time I hit the left orbit. As rockrand pointed out in his post, mine also gets caught on the very edge of the curved metal. It bothered me at first but I have just gotten use to the inconsistency. Although when I have some free time I think I will try to bend the metal a bit so it's not sticking into the path.

#3839 4 years ago
Quoted from sven:

He rescinded it. Not sure who his source was, but at least her corrected himself. I'll listen to episodes on my way into work. He's sensational and engaging. It's okay for people to like different things, and have different views. Last time I checked.

That said, as an owner of a Houdini, I'm glad that info was incorrect. I hope another game by Joe is revealed sooooooon!

#3840 4 years ago
Quoted from rcb5588:

It bothered me at first but I have just gotten use to the inconsistency.

I want to try and fix mine before I get used to it

#3841 4 years ago

bar door wont close not another problem!!!!!!!1

#3842 4 years ago
Quoted from gmanrulz46:

bar door wont close not another problem!!!!!!!1

seems the bar door sticker peeled off in the back running into wires and causing friction to the bar door now what????

#3843 4 years ago
Quoted from gmanrulz46:

seems the bar door sticker peeled off in the back running into wires and causing friction to the bar door now what????

not to mention dead right flipper and ball trough

#3844 4 years ago
Quoted from gmanrulz46:

I would call them and / or e-mail [email protected], despite his BTA acronym he's actually pretty friendly and helpful.

P.S. Pinball machines break, it's what they do but the folks at American Pinball are top-notch and I'm sure you'll be back to flipping in no time.

#3845 4 years ago
Quoted from gmanrulz46:

Have you contacted technical support? If not, do so..

#3846 4 years ago

I want to try and fix mine before I get used to it

Remove the ball guide to the right of rollovers And role the top edge inward and then sand the plastic,like in the picture,worked for me,a good clean shot screams around orbit

#3847 4 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

I would call them and / or e-mail [email protected], despite his BTA acronym he's actually pretty friendly and helpful.
P.S. Pinball machines break, it's what they do but the folks at American Pinball are top-notch and I'm sure you'll be back to flipping in no time.

For any problem I would recommend this be the first thing you always do Barry is as stated in the quote top notch and always eager to help.

#3848 4 years ago
Quoted from rockrand:

Remove the ball guide to the right of rollovers And role the top edge inward and then sand the plastic,like in the picture,worked for me,a good clean shot screams around orbit

I can see how bending the ball guide will help, and I'll do this... but the plastic is above the ball, no? How would sanding this help therefore?

#3849 4 years ago

I can see how bending the ball guide will help, and I'll do this... but the plastic is above the ball, no? How would sanding this help therefore?

Do what works for you,I sanded it because after bending inward the plastic needed a touchup but yours may not good luck great game

#3850 4 years ago
Quoted from rockrand:

Do what works for you,I sanded it because after bending inward the plastic needed a touchup but yours may not good luck great game

I gotcha... Will do this for sure... I already see an impact mark on the leading edge of the metal, and space for it to be bent down a good 5mm... so definitely scope for improvement

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Queen Creek, AZ
$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 39.99
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 7,795.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 140.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 7,899.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

8,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dixon, CA
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 11.99
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

$ 7,795.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 129.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 8,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 4,992 posts in this topic. You are on page 77 of 100.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/joe-balcer-confirms-oktoberfest-as-american-pinbals-next-pin/page/77?hl=dandandan and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.