(Topic ID: 224963)

Joe Balcer confirms Oktoberfest as American Pinball's next pin.

By PismoArcade

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 4,992 posts
  • 466 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Ferret
  • Topic is favorited by 79 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

8880f5e6998fb0663ff4a9a77f40c92eb6c125f2 (resized).png
okt (resized).jpg
59547925-ED73-4D13-9C0B-C0B4DB7F1F2C (resized).jpeg
20210418_173000 (resized).jpg
IMG_8199 (resized).jpg
20211127_232248 (resized).jpg
BLKFRIDAY2021 (1) (resized).png
16341706819071145026220657450351 (resized).jpg
AAAABWnlUYQGnwPYrDFi3t2ZJg8xDmhdqB2hGmDLTPnpLg4SjPq15X8P8IAl66bSXZXeQjCVgv9i_WrsIbMEvcUa9pH863X- (resized).jpg
20211006_190939 (resized).jpg
47cc5c7a51600f42dccc5022b9550eca8025c861 (resized).jpg
IMG_7361 (resized).jpg
IMG_7362 (resized).jpg
Okt upgraded coil stop - blue = new (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
20210620_160449 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 4,992 posts in this topic. You are on page 72 of 100.
#3551 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballslave:

Would anyone like the birdie song to be somewhere in this game?

That or this :

LTG : )

#3552 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

That or this :

Ok, it mentions a duck... but it's not very Oktoberfestish...

The birdie song is a typical excursion from the oompah music that is commonly played at Oktoberfests to get people dancing on the tables... I can sense I'm going nowhere with this...

#3553 4 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

definitely has a spring, possible target is rubbing on something that is creating too much resistance?

Thx all for the answers. In hindsight, and a full desktop monitor.. I can find the spring in the assembly manual It wasn't obvious from the images when viewing on my phone (bring back real manuals!!) and couldn't find the parts table easily on the small screen.

#3554 4 years ago

Just got the call from the shipper. ETA tomorrow!!

#3555 4 years ago
Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

Just got the call from the shipper. ETA tomorrow!!

Shaker IMO is not needed but get the knocker for sure!

#3556 4 years ago

After maybe 80 plays I had a 900k score, finally, briefly hit the barrel, and all is good. Finally had a corkscrew multiball. 641k was from juggling, I was on my game then, and had 3 balls last a long time.

The T in TAP is not working at all, and for that I am not even opening up the game. I was looking for something different, something outside the normal, and this is it, this game is AWESOME!

#3557 4 years ago
Quoted from JohnnyPinball007:

After maybe 80 plays I had a 900k score, finally, briefly hit the barrel, and all is good. Finally had a corkscrew multiball. 641k was from juggling, I was on my game then, and had 3 balls last a long time.
The T in TAP is not working at all, and for that I am not even opening up the game. I was looking for something different, something outside the normal, and this is it, this game is AWESOME!

Haha! Congrats, have me beat. Just in time too. Happy Oktoberfest!

#3558 4 years ago

I knew there was a reason that buying an Oktoberfest felt right!

http://komonews.com/news/local/prost-seattle-named-among-top-10-cities-to-celebrate-oktoberfest

#3559 4 years ago
Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

I knew there was a reason that buying an Oktoberfest felt right!

Seriously, that's what gets me when some people say they're unhappy with this theme. Literally every night that I've watched TV over the past couple weeks -- and I suspect this will continue for the next month -- I see ads for Oktoberfest beer, or some restaurant's special Oktoberfest menu, or the Oktoberfest festival coming up next week at some fairgrounds. Oktoberfest is a big cultural event for a couple months EVERY year... and the rest of the time, it's great to just celebrate music and food and beer and fun. What's not to love about this theme?

#3560 4 years ago

Cincinnati is huge for Oktoberfest. Just ask my pal Viggin900 I’ll be serving beer at a booth next weekend, and he’s going to be dancing his face off all throughout the festivities! German people are everywhere around here and NKY and Cincy come out on droves for this every year. AP needs to come setup here one year!

#3561 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Cincinnati is huge for Oktoberfest. Just ask my pal viggin900 I’ll be serving beer at a booth next weekend, and he’s going to be dancing his face off all throughout the festivities! German people are everywhere around here and NKY and Cincy come out on droves for this every year. AP needs to come setup here one year!

That would be awesome to have a an AP or FlipNOut tent with some Oktoberfest games setup at the festival, would almost certainly sell some games to first time buyers and people who never considered buying a pinball machine before. Of course they may not remember that purchase the next day but that's okay too.

#3562 4 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

Of course they may not remember that purchase the next day but that's okay too.

Could be a novel way to get people into the hobby... I bought a WHAT!!?? A pinball machine!!?? C'mon, you're joking, right!!

#3563 4 years ago

I have never bought that complaint about the theme Oktoberfest.
Ok, elvira,haunted house, dracula etc aren't halloween?
As for original themes versus license. Most of the classics are like whitewater and whirlwind to name a few.

#3564 4 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

That would be awesome to have a an AP or FlipNOut tent with some Oktoberfest games setup at the festival, would almost certainly sell some games to first time buyers and people who never considered buying a pinball machine before.

We're going to have some games set up in a tent at https://www.facebook.com/events/2190267544607364/
We weren't able to get in the larger ones maybe next year!

#3565 4 years ago
Quoted from DanDanDAN:

We're going to have some games set up in a tent at https://www.facebook.com/events/2190267544607364/
We we're able to get in the larger ones maybe next year!

Hell yeah!

#3566 4 years ago
Quoted from Viggin900:

Most of the classics are like whitewater and whirlwind to name a few.

My prediction is the Okt will be the new CC!

#3567 4 years ago

Just gotta step over the homeless and needles to get there! #9, Afghanistan lol. I kid, i kid..

#3568 4 years ago

Doh!

20190913_131006 (resized).jpg20190913_131006 (resized).jpg

20190913_131414 (resized).jpg20190913_131414 (resized).jpg

#3569 4 years ago

Is that damage to the game, or some paper 'wrapper' with the Oktoberfet flags? Doesn't look good... mine also came with a couple of dings going through the cardboard, but nothing that deep... not actually taken it out of the box yet, so I don't know what the internal packaging is like.

#3570 4 years ago

Uggggh, IdahoRealtor ... did you wind up rejecting delivery, or were you able to take it out while the carrier was still there to see if there was damage to the game?

#3571 4 years ago

Really enjoying this game. Just got into the steins and how they boost the modes last night. I was getting some really good mode scores doing this.

The modes I played were very well varied and I don’t feel like any of them were the same at all.

I was HORRIBLE at ducky derby though. I didn’t even hit the first ducks shot haha. Is that mode supposed to end your ball when it’s over? When I lost the flippers died, ball drained and bonus counted up.

#3572 4 years ago

It seems though with Houdini and now Oktoberfest, there isn’t much in the way of super exciting moments. I’m doing a lot of “wow that’s cool” or “love the rules of that mode”, but I’m not getting the adrenaline pumping moments that some other games have.

The first hour I spent on Black Knight SOR or GOT I was blown away by the excitement and fast brutal gameplay and exciting moments.

But that’s not a bad thing. Just another option in the market and games like this do a really good job of mixing up the gameplay in a lineup.

I find myself just trying to see as much as possible in this game as opposed to going for score as I typically do. So much to do in this game. That’s going to keep me coming back.

Well done.

#3573 4 years ago
Quoted from Ferret:

Uggggh, norcalrealtor ... did you wind up rejecting delivery, or were you able to take it out while the carrier was still there to see if there was damage to the game?

I asked the guy to wait while I investigated further and notified my distributor. Opted to accept it and file a claim.

#3574 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

It seems though with Houdini and now Oktoberfest, there isn’t much in the way of super exciting moments. I’m doing a lot of “wow that’s cool” or “love the rules of that mode”, but I’m not getting the adrenaline pumping moments that some other games have.
The first hour I spent on Black Knight SOR or GOT I was blown away by the excitement and fast brutal gameplay and exciting moments.
But that’s not a bad thing. Just another option in the market and games like this do a really good job of mixing up the gameplay in a lineup.
I find myself just trying to see as much as possible in this game as opposed to going for score as I typically do. So much to do in this game. That’s going to keep me coming back.
Well done.

You missed it last night, Brady got to closing time where the flippers are really show reacting and you have to spell Sober to gradually improve them, it was hilarious to watch! He also put up a pretty nice score of 4.8M.

I got to Duck Race and had a ton of blue shots to choose from and easily won it so I think it may depend on how many ducks you've collected or something before you start it. I did drill the very first shot too so maybe that played into it.

As for exciting moments in Houdini I think there are plenty especially Man From Beyond stacked with any MB, those shots are tough and very rewarding. Not the same kind of frenetic style you mentioned but then I think the theme doesn't really suit that anyway. Of course I am biased as I own the game.

I

#3575 4 years ago

Yeah man from beyond is amazing. But the stuff like the super jackpots in GOT or GB or destroying the Death Star in Star Wars is just a whole different animal.

I like how AP games have their own feel and experience. Options are great. Still on the fence about Oktoberfest, but I’m very impressed with it.

#3576 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

I was HORRIBLE at ducky derby though. I didn’t even hit the first ducks shot haha. Is that mode supposed to end your ball when it’s over? When I lost the flippers died, ball drained and bonus counted up.

Hmmm... two thirds of that, anyway. If you lose Duck Derby, flippers die, ball(s) drain, and then you should be able to continue play. It should actually give you flipper control back once one ball drains, but give you a fairly long ball saver for the remaining ball.

Very glad to hear that you are enjoying the game! I like to think we’ve created some great moments in the game: Corkscrew MB start is fun... and there can be some crazy light shows if you’re in multiball with a tent stacked. Beer Barrel Super Jackpots are pretty fun. I like even just tent wins, with the whistling confetti and associated fanfare and callouts. But we’ll keep trying to make it better.

I asked the guy to wait while I investigated further and notified my distributor. Opted to accept it and file a claim.

Good luck, hope it turns out OK.

#3577 4 years ago
Quoted from Ferret:

and there can be some crazy light shows if you’re in multiball with a tent stacked

Great call here. This light is great as I stacked cork screw with the mode that goes back and forth between the oktober and fest targets. Cool light show that want seizure inducing.

Kinda hard to put my finger on what I’m trying to point out, I just haven’t left a game of OF with my heart pounding like other games I’ve played. Again, not a bad thing, just different. Which I’m sure that’s the point.

#3578 4 years ago

IMO, it would take away from the “fun festival” of Oktoberfest if there were constant adrenaline rushes left and right. The big one I could see would be the start of Corkscrew.

#3579 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

...Still on the fence about Oktoberfest, but I’m very impressed with it.

Stream coming by chance?

#3580 4 years ago
Quoted from GrandFireball1:

The big one I could see would be the start of Corkscrew.

I have no idea how this starts or progresses, but I think a lot of loud screaming would be good... on the MB start as all three balls are released, but also on every shot that puts a ball back on the wireform... imitating a carriage full of riders of course... is there screaming already? Sorry if I'm suggesting something thats already there...

#3581 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Kinda hard to put my finger on what I’m trying to point out, I just haven’t left a game of OF with my heart pounding like other games I’ve played. Again, not a bad thing, just different. Which I’m sure that’s the point.

The game has a slower pace... there is no “unleash the hounds!” Moment when balls and everything are just flowing faster than you can take it in that is common in many modern games. There is payoff in Octo... but there isn’t much in terms of “stomping on the gas” and everything goes into overdrive

#3582 4 years ago

What happens when you file a claim? If the cab or art is damaged, are you looking for the shipper to pay for a new cab or art?

#3583 4 years ago

What did you find out NorCal?

#3584 4 years ago

is there screaming already? Sorry if I'm suggesting something thats already there...

Yeah I’m pretty sure there already is.

#3585 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Yeah I’m pretty sure there already is.

Cool!! I need to get my game set up so I can actually play it... then I can make meaningful suggestions... I bet the birdie song's not in there though

#3586 4 years ago

Cool!! I need to get my game set up so I can actually play it... then I can make meaningful suggestions... I bet the birdie song's not in there though

Don’t hold me to that. Whenever I start that multiball, me and the group I’m with always holds our hands up and screams. I think the game is doing it too though. Hahaha

#3587 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Great call here. This light is great as I stacked cork screw with the mode that goes back and forth between the oktober and fest targets. Cool light show that want seizure inducing.

I get you 100%. It's not an intense game like most recent Sterns. It's a nice break from that. I had TWD, GOT and ACDC in a row and this just replaced one of those. There is nothing relaxing or light hearted about any of those.

#3588 4 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

What happens when you file a claim? If the cab or art is damaged, are you looking for the shipper to pay for a new cab or art?

Distributor is handling it. Have to wait and see. They are aiming to get me a satisfactory dollar amount from the insurer. I got the impression the payouts vary based on the level of damage.

#3589 4 years ago

Who sells the knocker kit for this pin?

#3590 4 years ago

American Pinball.

#3591 4 years ago

I get you 100%. It's not an intense game like most recent Sterns. It's a nice break from that. I had TWD, GOT and ACDC in a row and this just replaced one of those. There is nothing relaxing or light hearted about any of those.

Sounds like we have very similar tastes. Those are my top three sterns ever. They’ve all also caused me to invent some very interesting cuss words.

#3592 4 years ago

Not on their store right now. Contact them about availability.

american-pinball.com

#3594 4 years ago

You need the hat too. Check out Nirmal of American Pinball at last year's Expo.

nirmal (resized).jpegnirmal (resized).jpeg
#3595 4 years ago

Finally managed to get to Calorie Coma (Hilarious btw). Couple notes:
- the 4th food mode gives A LOT of calories (had around 1200 during single ball play) compared to the other modes
- How does the Coma scoring work? I saw the counter in the upper right (assuming that’s calories remaining) and the spinner decreased that value.
-Is the bonus for winning based on the calories you came into it with?
-Each spin gave me -20 calories- is that number based on total calories as well?
- All the lights go dark, which is an awesome effect, but after the time ended the backboard light strip remained off for the rest of the ball.

Next is Stein Slinging!

#3596 4 years ago

Just had my first respectable game. Got roller coaster and beer barrell multiballs.

I agree with the other guy who said the roller coaster start sequence could be a bit more exciting with the right audio. Some clickity-clanks and the way up, or some screams on the way down, or something. Maybe some additional lighting effects/fanfare as well.

So many fun modes! Duck frenzy, tapper video mode, etc.

Which mode(s) require or engage the one-handed play? I changed the setting in the menu from Off to Player Selectable, or something like that. Not sure how it comes into play.

#3597 4 years ago

Which mode(s) require or engage the one-handed play? I changed the setting in the menu from Off to Player Selectable, or something like that. Not sure how it comes into play.

The only feature that requires one-handed play is the Stein Race tent.

If you set One-Handed Play to "Player Selectable" via the adjustments, then players have the option to hold both right-side buttons before starting a game... the machine will display a notice that starting a game at this time will enable One-Handed Play. If you go ahead and start a game while holding the right-side buttons, the entire game will be in one-handed mode. You can also set the One-Handed Play adjustment to "On", which will have the game always in one-handed mode... fun gimmick. (Our league just had a party over the weekend, and one-handed Oktoberfest was one of the for-fun contests.)

#3598 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Whenever I start that multiball, me and the group I’m with always holds our hands up and screams.

reading this gave me a big smile

Quoted from GrandFireball1:

Finally managed to get to Calorie Coma (Hilarious btw). Couple notes:
- the 4th food mode gives A LOT of calories (had around 1200 during single ball play) compared to the other modes
- How does the Coma scoring work? I saw the counter in the upper right (assuming that’s calories remaining) and the spinner decreased that value.
-Is the bonus for winning based on the calories you came into it with?
-Each spin gave me -20 calories- is that number based on total calories as well?
- All the lights go dark, which is an awesome effect, but after the time ended the backboard light strip remained off for the rest of the ball.
Next is Stein Slinging!

The fourth food stand is pretty much an 'everything scores', so in some ways that is almost a mini-mini-wizard mode, and obviously lucrative to get to. There are a quite a few point in the food stand, especially if you are able to match them up with modes that have a similar focus (oh, and then you actually make those shots . Food stands, especially the fourth visit, are great stacks with Juggling, as it is the only thing you can really stack juggling with. Look for new voice calls for foods stand in the next release. Yes, it is calories that you need to burn that are counting down, scoring is based on the calories consumed before the mode, and each 'spin' will work off 20 calories, the flippers get there first power boost after just a couple of spins. We just put in new music and voice calls that will be in the next release.

Quoted from bobukcat:

You missed it last night, Brady got to closing time where the flippers are really show reacting and you have to spell Sober to gradually improve them, it was hilarious to watch! He also put up a pretty nice score of 4.8M.
I got to Duck Race and had a ton of blue shots to choose from and easily won it so I think it may depend on how many ducks you've collected or something before you start it. I did drill the very first shot too so maybe that played into it.

Last Call is one of my favorite modes. With the outlane modes I feel you lost your ball and we are giving you a chance to win it back, so we can mess with the player a bit. There are a couple of very funny voice calls in that mode, but not sure when we added them, so not sure if those are in the current release or not. If you like the outlane modes than I suggest changing the setting for earning the outlane modes from '3' down to '2'. When we made getting outlane saves a little tougher, also makes it that much harder to get to last call and re-entry. We will likely change the default.

At the start of the derby you are given one of the lower two ducks as your duck. If the shots go red, it means you hit one of the other three ducks, and now you need to hit your green duck to turn them blue again. If you hit red shots, you advance other ducks and will eventually lose. So, see red, shoot the green duck.

#3599 4 years ago

5 days till the Party in Munich!! Oktoberfest official starts on Sat Morning in Germany!

#3600 4 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Thx ltg... it seemed obvious there should be a spring... but I could not see one in the diagram in the assembly manual... and nothing was found in the game. Now to look and see if the tab on the drop actually broke

There should be a spring on the drop target. also check to see if there is some binding, ie. something is bent or not aligned.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 7,795.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

8,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dixon, CA
$ 11.99
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

$ 8,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 140.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 7,899.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

$ 7,795.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 39.99
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

Playfield - Other
RavSpec

$ 129.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

6,100 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Queen Creek, AZ
There are 4,992 posts in this topic. You are on page 72 of 100.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/joe-balcer-confirms-oktoberfest-as-american-pinbals-next-pin/page/72 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.