(Topic ID: 224963)

Joe Balcer confirms Oktoberfest as American Pinball's next pin.

By PismoArcade

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 4,992 posts
  • 466 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Ferret
  • Topic is favorited by 79 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

8880f5e6998fb0663ff4a9a77f40c92eb6c125f2 (resized).png
okt (resized).jpg
59547925-ED73-4D13-9C0B-C0B4DB7F1F2C (resized).jpeg
20210418_173000 (resized).jpg
IMG_8199 (resized).jpg
20211127_232248 (resized).jpg
BLKFRIDAY2021 (1) (resized).png
16341706819071145026220657450351 (resized).jpg
AAAABWnlUYQGnwPYrDFi3t2ZJg8xDmhdqB2hGmDLTPnpLg4SjPq15X8P8IAl66bSXZXeQjCVgv9i_WrsIbMEvcUa9pH863X- (resized).jpg
20211006_190939 (resized).jpg
47cc5c7a51600f42dccc5022b9550eca8025c861 (resized).jpg
IMG_7361 (resized).jpg
IMG_7362 (resized).jpg
Okt upgraded coil stop - blue = new (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
20210620_160449 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 4,992 posts in this topic. You are on page 71 of 100.
#3501 4 years ago

My wife and I have logged on 173 games in total with an average game time of 7 minutes, 6 seconds. We have had a few that went approximately 15 minutes but those are rare and a lot of fun. If you set the game difficulty to easy, you can expect long games if you have some skills (no surprise there). I hope you do not "walk away" because it is a fun game and a challenging game. I hope this helps you in your decision making.

#3502 4 years ago
Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

This is alarming for me. I have this pin on order and I had no idea that playing it can drone on for 45+ min. That's possibly even longer than Lord of the Rings. Marathon pins are bad for multi-player, bad for league, bad for route, and generally not my style. If the average game on this pin is truly 20-30+ minutes I may need to walk away.
Do you guys have any thoughts on this?

if you are a skilled player and the game is in default settings its a long playing game. not sure what else needs to be said. i've still seen plenty of people step up and walk away in a handful of minutes if they aren't pinball players.

its extremely fun, the code is deep but if long playtimes aren't your bag.... then this one will likely rank up there with LOTR, Hobbit, Houdini, JJP Pirates, etc.

#3503 4 years ago

I have this pin on order and I had no idea that playing it can drone on for 45+ min. That's possibly even longer than Lord of the Rings. Marathon pins are bad for multi-player, bad for league, bad for route, and generally not my style. If the average game on this pin is truly 20-30+ minutes I may need to walk away.

Shouldn't be anywhere close. Average game times that I've seen are in the neighborhood of 4-5 minutes. Of course a skilled player can blow it up, but that's true of any game.

Also, Oktoberfest has a LOT of adjustments, so you have lots of flexibility to adjust ball savers, extra balls, etc to help tune your game times.

#3504 4 years ago

It also depends if you are playing a 3 or 5 ball game. Our average of 7 minutes+ was with, embarrassing to say, 5 balls. So, not so long really.

#3505 4 years ago

I just set one up, have not played it yet. It is making a loud humming noise like a refrigerator, is this noise normal?
Thanks,
Johnny

#3506 4 years ago

To those playing the game and complaining about the BB lock. I just played 4 games and hit it 7 times. It is at the tip of the flipper and is easiest to hit when the magnet releases the ball. It is NOT like Dialed In where the ramp is the middle of the flipper.. It take some practice, the game is not easy to blow up period! Stop whining and practice

#3507 4 years ago
Quoted from JohnnyPinball007:

I just set one up, have not played it yet. It is making a loud humming noise like a refrigerator, is this noise normal?

I found the answer to my question, it was minor.

#3508 4 years ago

Okay. It’s TOTALLY makable. Just got beer barrel twice in the same game. Once you’re used to when the magnet is gonna help and want not, it’s totally doable.

#3509 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Okay. It’s TOTALLY makable. Just got beer barrel twice in the same game. Once you’re used to when the magnet is gonna help and want not, it’s totally doable.

None yet in first 30 games. Upped the flipper power a tad before turning it off.
Hell, could not do anything at other games at first either, that is the fun part... learning a new game.

#3510 4 years ago
Quoted from kidchrisso:

To those playing the game and complaining about the BB lock. I just played 4 games and hit it 7 times. It is at the tip of the flipper and is easiest to hit when the magnet releases the ball. It is NOT like Dialed In where the ramp is the middle of the flipper.. It take some practice, the game is not easy to blow up period! Stop whining and practice

Not complaining about getting the ball into the beer barrel? I'm complaining about how difficult it is on top of that getting the lock is lit before getting it into the barrel.

#3511 4 years ago

It’s definitely not easy and I was specifically going for it. I compare it to whirlwind’s jackpot shot but a tad harder as it’s harder to set up the shot than whirlwind.

#3512 4 years ago

Thanks for the reassurance!

#3513 4 years ago

This is alarming for me. I have this pin on order and I had no idea that playing it can drone on for 45+ min. That's possibly even longer than Lord of the Rings. Marathon pins are bad for multi-player, bad for league, bad for route, and generally not my style. If the average game on this pin is truly 20-30+ minutes I may need to walk away.
Do you guys have any thoughts on this?

My game (default settings, except I have it set for 5-ball): after 417 games played, average game time is 8:24, average ball time is 1:52. I'm an "average" player (middle of the pack in tournaments). You guys are gonna love this pin.

#3514 4 years ago

Plans for my 40th next month are as follows:

1. Get Oktoberfest pin
2. Order Keg of German Beer
3. Buy brats
4. Invite my pinball friends over

#3515 4 years ago

1. Get Oktoberfest pin

1a. set family friendly to off(not that it matters much)
1b. set the barrel so that it holds balls after the game is over
1c. set the upper flipper power a tad higher.

I really hope American Pinball is successful. They make some awesome games, and are very helpful. I have not needed any help myself yet, but I see them all the time on pinside helping people. That is a main reason I just purchased a OKF.

#3516 4 years ago

Plans for my 40th next month are as follows:

Great plans ! Early Happy 40th !

LTG : )

#3517 4 years ago

1a. set family friendly to off(not that it matters much)
1b. set the barrel so that it holds balls after the game is over
1c. set the upper flipper power a tad higher.
I really hope American Pinball is successful. They make some awesome games, and are very helpful. I have not needed any help myself yet, but I see them all the time on pinside helping people. That is a main reason I just purchased a OKF.

Why would one want to hold balls in barrel after game ends? Please explain.

#3518 4 years ago

To keeps LOCKS for the following game... this cant be if pin is set in tournament of course...

#3519 4 years ago
Quoted from RipleYYY:

To keeps LOCKS for the following game... this cant be if pin is set in tournament of course...

I kinda figured as much, but isn't that cheating? Start game with 1-2 balls already locked?

#3520 4 years ago

Why would one want to hold balls in barrel after game ends? Please explain.

Beer Barrel locks can be stolen, across players in a game, and/or across games... the latter only if you set the option to keep the balls in the lock between games. So for example, if you have the game set to hold Beer Barrel locks at end of game, and you end a game with two balls locked, then when you start the next game, you just have to light the BB lock (complete PROST), shoot the BB ramp, and you'll be in Beer Barrel Multiball, because you steal the locked balls.

If you set it to release the balls at end of game, you can still steal BB locks between players within a game, but not across games.

BTW, even in tournament mode, you can enable the option to retain BB locks between games. This can provide a strategic choice for a player with choice of play order to do something other than the traditional "last available"... perhaps you look in the Beer Barrel, see two balls lurking there, and decide to play first and try to steal those balls.

#3521 4 years ago
Quoted from Ferret:

Beer Barrel locks can be stolen, across players in a game, and/or across games... the latter only if you set the option to keep the balls in the lock between games. So for example, if you have the game set to hold Beer Barrel locks at end of game, and you end a game with two balls locked, then when you start the next game, you just have to light the BB lock (complete PROST), shoot the BB ramp, and you'll be in Beer Barrel Multiball, because you steal the locked balls.
If you set it to release the balls at end of game, you can still steal BB locks between players within a game, but not across games.
BTW, even in tournament mode, you can enable the option to retain BB locks between games. This can provide a strategic choice for a player with choice of play order to do something other than the traditional "last available"... perhaps you look in the Beer Barrel, see two balls lurking there, and decide to play first and try to steal those balls.

Dude. Excellent explanation.

#3522 4 years ago

Well I've just spent a very frustrating 45 minutes with the glass off adjusting the power of the upper right flipper up and down, trying to get it to make the beer barrel lock, but it appears impossible to do so.

I have tried everything from the default power, to a little higher, as AP recommends, to 27, 28, 29, 30, 33, 36, 40 etc, and even though it climbs up the ramp, the ball only gets about half way up the ramp. With the power on the highest setting possible I got a couple of shots that almost made it to the top of the ramp before falling back down. This can't be right, surely!!??

I understand that this is meant to be a difficult shot, but this seems ridiculous. I am a reasonable player and if I can't get the ball up the ramp trying the shot repeatedly with the glass off then what chance has a visitor or casual player during a normal game? Am I missing something? The leg levellers are all the way in and a digital inclinometer confirms that it is at 6.0 degrees at the bottom (although slightly more at the far end) and level to 0 degrees sideways. I am at a loss as to what can be wrong. It's a real shame as I am enjoying the game but I can't help feeling something is not right.

Any suggestions much appreciated!

#3523 4 years ago

Yep

And hard for me to write with my portable, but of course you CANT use this in tournament (until is a serious one)

But for sure must be more than fun when in friendly meeting

#3524 4 years ago

Maybe your power at the socket is too low? Are you getting a true 220 or 110 volts as appropriate?

#3525 4 years ago
Quoted from mfresh:

I have tried everything from the default power, to a little higher, as AP recommends, to 27, 28, 29, 30, 33, 36, 40 etc, and even though it climbs up the ramp, the ball only gets about half way up the ramp. With the power on the highest setting possible I got a couple of shots that almost made it to the top of the ramp before falling back down. This can't be right, surely!!??

I've not played the game so I'm guessing, but it has been said that the ball needs to be on the tip of the flipper... if this is the case, then maybe lowering the flipper 1/4 of an inch could help? I realise you'll have to elongate the hole in the playfield, but if it's just 1/4 inch it shouldn't be visible... just a thought...

#3526 4 years ago
Quoted from mfresh:

Well I've just spent a very frustrating 45 minutes with the glass off adjusting the power of the upper right flipper up and down, trying to get it to make the beer barrel lock, but it appears impossible to do so.
I understand that this is meant to be a difficult shot, but this seems ridiculous. I am a reasonable player and if I can't get the ball up the ramp trying the shot repeatedly with the glass off then what chance has a visitor or casual player during a normal game? Am I missing something? The leg levellers are all the way in and a digital inclinometer confirms that it is at 6.0 degrees at the bottom (although slightly more at the far end) and level to 0 degrees sideways. I am at a loss as to what can be wrong. It's a real shame as I am enjoying the game but I can't help feeling something is not right.
Any suggestions much appreciated!

Sounds like you're just missing the shot. Keep practicing and keep the strength stock. Once you find where to hit it, it'll make it up the ramp no problem.

#3527 4 years ago

I have a issue with the lockdown bar getting loose all the time. I constantly have to open the coin door and push on the lever again. Average of 5 balls played I have to do this.
Any tips/suggestions?
Thanks in advance.

#3528 4 years ago

Any tips/suggestions?

Adjust the two brass screws on the lockdown bar receiver to tighten it ?

#3529 4 years ago
Quoted from PokerJake:

Sounds like you're just missing the shot. Keep practicing and keep the strength stock. Once you find where to hit it, it'll make it up the ramp no problem.

Maybe. Seems like a big ask for a casual player playing on location though.

One observation that has been made already I think that I agree with is that the corkscrew multiball experience is lacking a bit currently. The start and then the music etc that goes with it doesn't really ramp up the excitement yet. It could do with a bit more pizazz and fireworks imho.

Mustn't grumble though: still a great game!

#3530 4 years ago
Quoted from mfresh:

One observation that has been made already I think that I agree with is that the corkscrew multiball experience is lacking a bit currently. The start and then the music etc that goes with it doesn't really ramp up the excitement yet. It could do with a bit more pizazz and fireworks imho.

I think the ideal way to start the multiball would be have a sound like a rollercoaster ride... first a brief sound of the clanking of the chain that lifts the carriages up the main lift followed by the rush of the wheels and, mainly, the screams as the balls are released... I was at an amusement park recently and was recording the sound of a large wooden coaster with the intension of capturing something that would suit this exact purpose with the plan to pass it to API for them to consider using, but there was too much background noise and it didn't come out as crisp as I hoped... I tried to attach the sound file here but I can't...

#3531 4 years ago

Here's a photo of it... you'll just have to imagine the sound.

20190831_121556 (resized).jpg20190831_121556 (resized).jpg
#3532 4 years ago

Had some goofy behavior right before Barry and Dan packed the game up at CLE PIN.

Started the game and hit the scoop to start a tent mode. After selecting duck hunt, the game gave me beer barrel lock 1, then served a ball into the shooter lane after the ball came out of the scoop. Then it had the ball start animation. Once I drained one of the balls it went to bonus count up.

#3533 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Had some goofy behavior right before Barry and Dan packed the game up at CLE PIN.
Started the game and hit the scoop to start a tent mode. After selecting duck hunt, the game gave me beer barrel lock 1, then served a ball into the shooter lane after the ball came out of the scoop. Then it had the ball start animation. Once I drained one of the balls it went to bonus count up.

Hard to know for sure just based on that description, but I'd at least be suspicious of a misadjusted switch (or wiggly connector) on the Beer Barrel lock switches.

If that machine is going back to the shop with BarryJ and @dandandan, perhaps they can pull the logs and/or try to repro the problem, so we can confirm.

#3534 4 years ago

Oh, and for pinballslave ... I for one am very, very familiar with the sound of the anti-rollback device on a roller coaster lift hill. We had actually considered that sound as the coaster ascended the hill in the Corkscrew start animation, but decided it might be kind of annoying to hear over and over, especially for people not accustomed to roller coasters. Being honest about it, it's not the most pleasant sound, even if it has positive connotations for coaster enthusiasts.

That said, audio is still getting polished in the game code, so who knows where we settle on that...

#3535 4 years ago

Both Houdini and Oktoberfest are very well built, reliable machines. There has been a lot of talk recently about other manufacturers playfield issues. Has anyone had playfield issues with their American Pinball pins?

#3536 4 years ago
Quoted from Ferret:

I for one am very, very familiar with the sound of the anti-rollback device on a roller coaster lift hill. We had actually considered that sound as the coaster ascended the hill in the Corkscrew start animation, but decided it might be kind of annoying to hear over and over, especially for people not accustomed to roller coasters. Being honest about it, it's not the most pleasant sound, even if it has positive connotations for coaster enthusiasts.

That said, audio is still getting polished in the game code, so who knows where we settle on that...

That 'anti-rollback' sound, If used, would, in my mind, be relatively quiet... afterall, I imagine that part of the coaster in the game is right at the back of the playfield (where the balls are locked). It would also be a relatively short part of the audio... the main part would be the whooooosh of the wheels and the screams... there could even be a few different versions of the sound to reduce the repetition element, although I admit that the anti-fallback sound would be best to remain the same, since it's always the same in reality... mainly the screams would be best varied... it would be awesome IMHO!! I've got some other ideas for sounds in this game by the way... playing the 'birdi song' during a mode (annoying song, but also excellent in this game, and very funny to hear in a pin!!) And also having the sound of the Alpine Horn (shown on one of the plastics) continuously triggered when making the shot that helps complete the mode... that would be so cool!!!

#3537 4 years ago
Quoted from Coz:

Both Houdini and Oktoberfest are very well built, reliable machines. There has been a lot of talk recently about other manufacturers playfield issues. Has anyone had playfield issues with their American Pinball pins?

Me and a couple of the other pin guys were playing in a tournament at the local brewery today and ‘playfield-gate’ was a topic of discussion.

We noticed absolutely no pooling on Oktoberfest. The playfield still looks pristine after hundreds of plays.

Guardians of The Galaxy and Ghostbusters weren’t fairing so well. Definitely some noticeable pools but nothing like JP2 or Wonka/POTC are seeing right out of the box. But still enough to notice.

And things like LOTR, Simpsons PBP and Fish Tales (diamond plate) are still in downright remarkable condition considering the thousands of games they have seen. They just built em better back in those days. Volatile chemicals be damned.

#3538 4 years ago
Quoted from Ferret:

but I'd at least be suspicious of a misadjusted switch (or wiggly connector) on the Beer Barrel lock switches.

The game preformed great in the women's tournament, that said it was moved several times after the tournament so the wiggly connector may have been the culprit
We'll have to check the logs

#3539 4 years ago
Quoted from anathematize:We noticed absolutely no pooling on Oktoberfest.

We have had ZERO reports of the issues other companies are having with their playfields with either of our games

#3540 4 years ago

One feature I really like on this game is the use of the knocker. On many games its such a waste to use the knocker only to mark a match or free game award, so its great to see the knocker being used to generate a loud bang during modes, for example when hitting a duck in shooting one, and also in the bumper one.

I can only think of Addams and the use of the knocker in Seance mode as another example of games that use the knocker as part of the game, although there are probably more. Anyway, good work AP! I'm really glad I ordered the real knocker option.

#3541 4 years ago
Quoted from anathematize:

We noticed absolutely no pooling on Oktoberfest.

I should probably know this already, but what's 'pooling'? Is it like ghosting off the inserts?

#3542 4 years ago
Quoted from mfresh:

Anyway, good work AP! I'm really glad I ordered the real knocker option.

Well, some folks want a real knocker, but I felt what is the point does not get used a lot, and that if we were going to offer one, lets find more use for it. On Houdini we used it in Bullet Catch and based on how well that was received on Okto we took up another notch with use in at least four places: duck hunt, target shooting, bumper cars and beer barrel multiball, not sure if I am forgetting any others. When I play on Okto without one, if feels empty when in those modes.

#3543 4 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

Well, some folks want a real knocker,

I certainly prefer real knockers!

#3544 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballslave:

I should probably know this already, but what's 'pooling'? Is it like ghosting off the inserts?

Go check out the ‘stern and jjp playfield issues’ thread for more detail.

Basically the clearcoat being used these days seems to be too soft or lacks the proper time to cure. So it’s pooling up around the posts being screwed into the playfield

#3545 4 years ago

rosh is the food drop target only pulled down by gravity? No spring?

The one here is not dropping unless pushed down. There is just no urge for the target to drop when hit

#3546 4 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

drop target only pulled down by gravity? No spring?

I don't have the game to check. I don't recall a drop target without a spring. There is a notch on the side for the spring to hook to the drop target and the assembly frame to snap it down.

#3547 4 years ago

If it's a normal drop target the spring would attach where the arrow points and follow the orange line going down.

DSC00072 (resized).JPGDSC00072 (resized).JPG
#3548 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

I don't have the game to check. I don't recall a drop target without a spring. There is a notch on the side for the spring to hook to the drop target and the assembly frame to snap it down.

Thx ltg... it seemed obvious there should be a spring... but I could not see one in the diagram in the assembly manual... and nothing was found in the game. Now to look and see if the tab on the drop actually broke

#3549 4 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

rosh is the food drop target only pulled down by gravity? No spring?
The one here is not dropping unless pushed down. There is just no urge for the target to drop when hit

definitely has a spring, possible target is rubbing on something that is creating too much resistance?

#3550 4 years ago

Would anyone like the birdie song to be somewhere in this game?

With better sound quality than this of course!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 140.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 8,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 7,899.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 129.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 39.99
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

Playfield - Other
RavSpec

$ 7,795.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 11.99
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

$ 7,795.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

8,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dixon, CA
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 4,992 posts in this topic. You are on page 71 of 100.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/joe-balcer-confirms-oktoberfest-as-american-pinbals-next-pin/page/71 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.