(Topic ID: 224963)

Joe Balcer confirms Oktoberfest as American Pinball's next pin.

By PismoArcade

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 4,992 posts
  • 466 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Ferret
  • Topic is favorited by 79 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

8880f5e6998fb0663ff4a9a77f40c92eb6c125f2 (resized).png
okt (resized).jpg
59547925-ED73-4D13-9C0B-C0B4DB7F1F2C (resized).jpeg
20210418_173000 (resized).jpg
IMG_8199 (resized).jpg
20211127_232248 (resized).jpg
BLKFRIDAY2021 (1) (resized).png
16341706819071145026220657450351 (resized).jpg
AAAABWnlUYQGnwPYrDFi3t2ZJg8xDmhdqB2hGmDLTPnpLg4SjPq15X8P8IAl66bSXZXeQjCVgv9i_WrsIbMEvcUa9pH863X- (resized).jpg
20211006_190939 (resized).jpg
47cc5c7a51600f42dccc5022b9550eca8025c861 (resized).jpg
IMG_7361 (resized).jpg
IMG_7362 (resized).jpg
Okt upgraded coil stop - blue = new (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
20210620_160449 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 4,992 posts in this topic. You are on page 70 of 100.
#3451 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

You may have already done it. Just in case I'd plug something into the service outlet, see if you have power that far. Unplug the gamne. Then follow the wires along from there and any connector you run into, reseat, push together hard, make sure no wires/pins popped out of a connector.
Then I'd plug it in, and grab a meter and see where you have power and where you don't. That might help figure out the issue. You can download the manual from american-pinball.com if it will help you.
LTG : )

Thanks Lloyd. Gotta be something like that. Back in town and will try that today.

It’s a great pin guys!

#3452 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballslave:

Congrats on getting the game! I also had mine arrive on Friday last week, got to see it today but no time to un-box due to crazy workload So is it possible to adjust the setting so that the game plays one-handed permanently? If so, I guess you can chose which hand you play with and the mag-nab feature is disabled...?
I'm a bit worried about my barrel-lock shot...
Never heard of anyone using a power tool to tighten leg bolts before

You can set it to permanent one handed play, but only right handed one handed play.

And an electric screwdriver or drill with a socket on the end is great for fastening or unfastening leg bolts in seconds, and by setting the torque control fairly low you can be sue not to overtighten and strip the thread...

#3453 4 years ago
Quoted from mfresh:

Final question: any reason by the leg bolts are fastened using hex wrench/allen keys rather than the traditional style that can be more easily fastened with a power tool?

You can use a power tool. Just need the right drill/bits that fit the hex hole.

#3454 4 years ago
Quoted from mfresh:

Final question: any reason by the leg bolts are fastened using hex wrench/allen keys rather than the traditional style that can be more easily fastened with a power tool?

Something like this. Not pictured the adapter that goes into the drill and the socket plugs onto.

Or take a hex wrench the right size. Cut off a section of it. Chuck that right into your power tool.

DSC00063 (resized).JPGDSC00063 (resized).JPGDSC00064 (resized).JPGDSC00064 (resized).JPG
#3455 4 years ago
Quoted from Ferret:

Enjoy your new game, @pinballslave!

Thanks!! I have yet to try and persuade my wife to let me have it in the house... wish me luck!! At the moment my gamesroom is far from built, so all my games are in storage... but this one I really want in the house...

Quoted from jaytrem:

Hmmm, I wonder if your machine is the closest to the real Oktoberfest? Congrats, glad it arrived safely.

Thanks! So are you saying there are varying degrees of departure from the prototype in games that left the API factory? I got the feeling that simply all the production games were the same...

#3456 4 years ago

I have yet to try and persuade my wife to let me have it in the house... wish me luck!!

Wishing you good luck my friend !

#3457 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Wishing you good luck my friend !

Thanks a lot!! She doesn't even know I've got the game yet!! (It was delivered to my work address)...

#3458 4 years ago

Thanks!! I have yet to try and persuade my wife to let me have it in the house... wish me luck!! At the moment my gamesroom is far from built, so all my games are in storage... but this one I really want in the house...

Thanks! So are you saying there are varying degrees of departure from the prototype in games that left the API factory? I got the feeling that simply all the production games were the same...

Let her beat you alot, then she might let you have it in the house. It works for me.

#3459 4 years ago
Quoted from Platypus:

Let her beat you alot, then she might let you have it in the house. It works for me.

Interesting strategy... the only snag is that it means I'd first have to set it up in the basement where dust exists, and she therefore doesn't step a foot in there except to rush in and ventilate the place for no apparent reason... probably to try and get rid of the dust I guess...

#3460 4 years ago

No, I was just thinking your machine might be the closest to Munich. Nothing to do with the machine changes.

#3461 4 years ago
Quoted from jaytrem:

No, I was just thinking your machine might be the closest to Munich. Nothing to do with the machine changes.

Ahhhhhh... Yes, it all makes sense now! In my sick and twisted mind I thought you were referring to the prototype as the 'real Oktoberfest'... by the way, I've actually never heard of this event in Munich referred to as the Oktoberfest... I only know it as the 'Munich Beer-fest'... maybe that's just me...

#3462 4 years ago

Interesting strategy... the only snag is that it means I'd first have to set it up in the basement where dust exists, and she therefore doesn't step a foot in there except to rush in and ventilate the place for no apparent reason... probably to try and get rid of the dust I guess...

She still will not allow machines in the living room. We were going to build a game room in the basement when we built our house but hit solid granite and were already over budget, so no basement, no game room, I wish we would have. My tiny office has room for only two games, my other two are out on loan and I am secretively planning to buy another.

I hope you finally get a gameroom for your 127 machines, I might come visit.

#3463 4 years ago

Making progress. After replacing it, Beer barrel membrane switch now recognizes all 3 balls. Switch test working and most of coils working now except the bottom 5 here and the tent scoop. I see i need to up the power on the drop target so it pops up and reset it to the up position manually. "Captive Ball" lit?

Balls go into Stein hole, drop target scoop and down to Tent scoop and nothing. Other coils are working fine.
IMG_0588 (resized).jpgIMG_0588 (resized).jpgIMG_0589 (resized).jpgIMG_0589 (resized).jpg

#3464 4 years ago

I have only played my game but the barrel lock difficulty is just right ,If I get a clean shot to the ramp it usually goes only the fastest super clean shots may jump the ramp but very rare,very satisfying fun ramp fro sure

#3465 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

"Captive Ball" lit?

Yes, the first captive ball switch is where the captive ball sits when it's at rest, so it will usually be closed when the game is idle. There are three total switches in the captive ball lane: Captive Ball 1, Captive Ball 2, and Captive Standup. (This is how we can gauge the strength of hits, e.g. for the High Striker animation and to determine Super Striker point values.)

#3466 4 years ago
Quoted from Platypus:

She still will not allow machines in the living room. We were going to build a game room in the basement when we built our house but hit solid granite and were already over budget, so no basement, no game room, I wish we would have. My tiny office has room for only two games, my other two are out on loan and I am secretively planning to buy another.

I hope you finally get a gameroom for your 127 machines, I might come visit.

Sorry to hear about the granite spoiling your games room plan! You're certainly welcome to pop over when/if I ever get mine finalised and my games set up... it's gonna be at least another 2 years though!

#3467 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I'm only back to take care of my game issues etc.
My game is DOA. Zero coil firing and Switch testing is not possible either.
Just trying to get a response from somebody for some help on my game.
I reached out to Barry E., he reached out to me and then AWOL after calls and emails.
I have a local guy coming to look at in 2 weeks but it would be nice to be able to play this game again.
Any ideas from the gallery?

AWOL!?

[email protected]

I don't always answer my phone and voicemails over the weekend but I ALWAYS look at my emails!

#3468 4 years ago
Quoted from mfresh:

The tool for the head does the legs -- so everything you need to set up the game is in the box. I also think they look nicer. You can change them out, threads are same as traditional leg bolts. You can also get an bit you can use in a drill.

Quoted from Ferret:

I can't like this enough. Including just the concept of "for all your duck needs".

A few years ago a store opened up near us called "just ducks", and that is literally what they had, duck themed whatever, nothing else. I think I have had games on LOTR that lasted longer than the store did.

Our village has what they call 'old home days', which is basically a mini Oktoberfest, food tent, beer tent, live music, rides, carnival games. The Rotary Club does a fund raiser with selling ducks and then the carnival had a 'pick a lucky duck' just like in the game, so got my fill of ducks while I was there . . .

IMG_4406 (resized).JPGIMG_4406 (resized).JPGIMG_4407 (resized).JPGIMG_4407 (resized).JPGpick a duck (resized).pngpick a duck (resized).png

#3469 4 years ago

Frankfurt airport duty free shop loves Oktoberfest!

20190903_201530 (resized).jpg20190903_201530 (resized).jpg
#3470 4 years ago

Frankfurt airport duty free shop loves Oktoberfest!

SAVED

#3471 4 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

'pick a lucky duck'

When I was in 4th grade Mom was in charge of that game for the school fall festival. While the bag of ducks was left unguarded in my house I took a pen and made a tiny mark on all the winners. You won goldfish. Anyway word got out and while that game averaged 500.00 a year, that year it did over 2000.00 and they had to make several trips to get goldfish(which were being donated for free anyway). Mom won some award for having the best game. I told her all about what I had done years later.

#3472 4 years ago
Quoted from BarryJ:

AWOL!?
[email protected]
I don't always answer my phone and voicemails over the weekend but I ALWAYS look at my emails!

I would never bother you on the weekends Barry! I respect people's time off, especially in this hobby . Barry is very helpful!!!

#3473 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I would never bother you on the weekends Barry!

Give me a call. I don't know everything. Maybe I can help. I'm usually around.

Quoted from iceman44:

Barry is very helpful!!!

Agreed. Barry is one of the best !

#3474 4 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

The tool for the head does the legs -- so everything you need to set up the game is in the box. I also think they look nicer. You can change them out, threads are same as traditional leg bolts. You can also get an bit you can use in a drill.

The allen-head bolts are clever. Stern moving the power on/off switch away from the standard location... that's an annoyance.

#3475 4 years ago

Can someone tell me what length shooter rod is in Oktoberfest? I want to try and make one with a beer tap handle. Thanks.

#3476 4 years ago
Quoted from Viggin900:

Can someone tell me what length shooter rod is in Oktoberfest?

Measure the one in your game. Simple to remove, check, and put back in.

#3477 4 years ago
Quoted from Viggin900:

Can someone tell me what length shooter rod is in Oktoberfest?

Here you go.

DSC00065 (resized).JPGDSC00065 (resized).JPGDSC00066 (resized).JPGDSC00066 (resized).JPG
#3478 4 years ago

Thank you! I never pulled one out and am going to buy a new one so I dont mess up the original. Not sure how its going to turn out but will let you know. New topper pictures coming tomorrow!

#3479 4 years ago
Quoted from Viggin900:

Thank you! I never pulled one out

So that’s why you have so many kids.

#3480 4 years ago

Anyone chime in if you agree or disagree, but the beer barrel lock on this game needs to be made easier by a stein or something else! We all know that ramp is not as smooth as we would want and its luck to get it in, it is what it is. But just to get the lock light to even get a chance to get a ball in is frustrating. If its going to be hard to make the ramp then atleast make it easier to lock the ball. Sure just light PROST. Sounds easy but when there is all the other stuff going on like tents,food,Oktoberfest,mystery,and tent its too much to handle. The barrel takes up 15% of the playfield and thats why people at bars drop quarters in,but if they cant get it in easier than forget it. I have owned this game for 3 months, I am dead middle in my pin league. I have barrel lock set to keep. I always play until I get a Beer barrel multiball. Tonight it took 1.5 hours? Thats crazy.

#3481 4 years ago
Quoted from Viggin900:

Anyone chime in if you agree or disagree, but the beer barrel lock on this game needs to be made easier by a stein or something else! We all know that ramp is not as smooth as we would want and its luck to get it in, it is what it is. But just to get the lock light to even get a chance to get a ball in is frustrating. If its going to be hard to make the ramp then atleast make it easier to lock the ball. Sure just light PROST. Sounds easy but when there is all the other stuff going on like tents,food,Oktoberfest,mystery,and tent its too much to handle. The barrel takes up 15% of the playfield and thats why people at bars drop quarters in,but if they cant get it in easier than forget it. I have owned this game for 3 months, I am dead middle in my pin league. I have barrel lock set to keep. I always play until I get a Beer barrel multiball. Tonight it took 1.5 hours? Thats crazy.

Dial in the playfield. I was having issues making it until I measured the pitch and leveled it left/right. Mine is set to 6 degrees pitch and my upper flipper strength is stock. I'm hitting the ramp three times on an average game(medium difficulty, putting up an avg of 1mil, 6mil GC). Like you said though, making sure the lock is lit is tough. Usually the first time I hit, it isn't lit and drops out. Hitting PROST is becoming one of my many priorities to start the game. That's what makes it great though, strategy.

#3482 4 years ago

I'm a bit hesitant to reply since I'm biased, but the Beer Barrel shot is absolutely not luck. It's not an easy shot, but it's definitely not luck. When I'm playing for fun (as opposed to testing something-or-other) I usually make it a few times per game. IMHO shots from a MagNab are MUCH easier.

Pro tip: any shot up the Beer Barrel ramp spots a PROST letter. This happens before evaluating the lock. This means that if you have just 4 of the PROST letters lit, a shot up the Beer Barrel will award a lock.

Double pro tip: a left orbit -> Beer Barrel ramp combo spots two PROST letters. Again, this happens before evaluating the lock. This means that if you have just 3 of the PROST letters lit, a left orbit -> Beer Barrel shot will award a lock.

If you're having problems shooting the Beer Barrel ramp, check the coil strength of the upper flipper. You want it at default strength or maybe a notch or two higher. Setting it too strong will actually make it harder to make the shot.

#3483 4 years ago

Jason is having some of us over later this month. I will take record of how many of us get the beer barrel MB while there. Some good players are going over to play it, and we will be concentrating on it. I’ll be playing this at CLE PIN this weekend too and will exclusively be going for this MB to see just how hard it is. Even if lock isn’t lit.

One question, will the magnet ever automatically grab the ball to help line up that shot? I always get confused on if I even have a mag nab available to use or not.

What if you could also light lock by simply hitting the beer barrel? So hit it when it’s unlit, that lights lock. Hit it again to lock the ball.

#3484 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

One question, will the magnet ever automatically grab the ball to help line up that shot? I always get confused on if I even have a mag nab available to use or not.

I doubt there is a sensor to tell the game when the ball is in grabbing disrance seeing as how the magna-nab button is how the game is designed to grab the ball...

#3485 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

yes. i've noticed that sometimes the magnet does auto-grab the ball. i'm not sure what triggers that behavior from a game/rules standpoint... and - depending on the speed of the ball coming around the orbit - the magnet doesn't always get a perfect grab.

frankly i always forget to use the mag-nab button so the only time it actually does anything for me is when the game auto-grabs the ball.

#3486 4 years ago

I doubt there is a sensor to tell the game when the ball is in grabbing disrance seeing as how the magna-nab button is how the game is designed to grab the ball...

I feel like I’ve see it grab when I shoot the right spinner. Could have been a sloppy shot and just looked that way though.

I’ll be sure to bug Barry and Co a lot this weekend. Haha

#3487 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

I’ll be sure to bug Barry and Co a lot this weekend.

Oh so I am "and Co" now???

#3488 4 years ago
Quoted from anathematize:

yes. i've noticed that sometimes the magnet does auto-grab the ball.

It seems like I need to stand corrected

#3489 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

I feel like I’ve see it grab when I shoot the right spinner. Could have been a sloppy shot and just looked that way though.
I’ll be sure to bug Barry and Co a lot this weekend. Haha

I think it's the spinner as well.

#3490 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

If you shoot an orbit after an inlane feed, the game will auto mag-nab at either the TAP lanes or upper flipper. The magnet lights will flash to let you know this. The magnet it stops the ball on I believe is based on game state...?

#3491 4 years ago
Quoted from Ferret:

I'm a bit hesitant to reply since I'm biased, but the Beer Barrel shot is absolutely not luck. It's not an easy shot, but it's definitely not luck. When I'm playing for fun (as opposed to testing something-or-other) I usually make it a few times per game. IMHO shots from a MagNab are MUCH easier.
Pro tip: any shot up the Beer Barrel ramp spots a PROST letter. This happens before evaluating the lock. This means that if you have just 4 of the PROST letters lit, a shot up the Beer Barrel will award a lock.
Double pro tip: a left orbit -> Beer Barrel ramp combo spots two PROST letters. Again, this happens before evaluating the lock. This means that if you have just 3 of the PROST letters lit, a left orbit -> Beer Barrel shot will award a lock.
If you're having problems shooting the Beer Barrel ramp, check the coil strength of the upper flipper. You want it at default strength or maybe a notch or two higher. Setting it too strong will actually make it harder to make the shot.

Yeah, "luck" wasn't the best word to use there.
Its hard as heck though and the barrel lock light just ads to the difficulty. In hindsight if there wasn't a barrel lock light at all made for this game people wouldnt complain. I always play till I get barrel multiball which is 45-55 minutes. If there was no light it would be 30-45 which makes more sense. I had several games that went 6 min and no barrel light? Thanks for the strategy tips! I didnt know about the orbit.

#3492 4 years ago
Quoted from Viggin900:

Yeah, "luck" wasn't the best word to use there.
Its hard as heck though and the barrel lock light just ads to the difficulty. In hindsight if there wasn't a barrel lock light at all made for this game people wouldnt complain. I always play till I get barrel multiball which is 45-55 minutes. If there was no light it would be 30-45 which makes more sense. I had several games that went 6 min and no barrel light? Thanks for the strategy tips! I didnt know about the orbit.

45-55 minutes? Are you referring to a single game? Are ball times that long on this pin?

#3493 4 years ago

Nope. Maybe 3-5 min per game.

Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

45-55 minutes? Are you referring to a single game? Are ball times that long on this pin?

#3494 4 years ago
Quoted from DanDanDAN:

A promotion already. Who says hard work goes unnoticed.

Way to go Co !

#3495 4 years ago
Quoted from Viggin900:

Its hard as heck though and the barrel lock light just ads to the difficulty

I'm clearly missing something here... what's the 'barrel lock light'? And how does it add to the difficulty of getting the barrel lock?

#3496 4 years ago
Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

they can be. i think my longest game has been around 40 minutes so far.

reminds me of houdini in that way.

#3497 4 years ago

It takes me several games that go on 45min plus till I finally get all 3 balls in the barrel, with the balls set to keep between games. Thats too long for an average player and my pin is set up fine. I don't usually get the lock is lit till end of ball 2 or 3. With having to light oktoberfest for the coaster and other things going on at the same time waiting for a ball lock to light is way to hard. Perhaps its a strategy thing? I'll start keeping track and see if it is similiar to everyone else.

#3498 4 years ago
Quoted from DanDanDAN:

Sorry. Wasn’t sure who was coming with. Haha. I’ll see ya soon!

#3499 4 years ago

Spelling PROST -- I was shooting the game before Ferret was, and I commented early on that PROST was harder to spell than you would think, and we might need a stein, which he found difficult to believe, given they are right there, but they just seem hard to collect unless you are really focused on them. So we did discuss a stein for it, but decided against it, since the default behavior is to have lock lit at start of game. I will say there is nothing more annoying that making the ramp shot and not getting the lock. So, if you own the game, you may want to change the difficulty setting for Beer Barrel Locks (medium/default gives you one lit lock, Easy will give you 2)

Also, set 'Release Beer Barrel Locks at end of Game' to 'OFF', which I am guessing is what was meant by "I'll play until I get it", since the game allows lock stealing (beer barrel only, not corkscrew) between players and games. You lock the third ball, you get the MB.

MagNab -- inlanes activate MagNabs for you at TAP lanes or upper flipper based on what is going on in the game. The MagNab lamps will be GREEN when the game is going to auto-grab for you. Based on speeds and other factors, sometimes the grab will be missed. If lamps are YELLOW, they you have control of the magnets via MagNabs, if the light is OFF, either you are out of magNabs (shoot newton/captive ball or right ramp, which ever is lit, to collect more) or for game reasons we have it disabled (pretty rare). MagNab lamps flash RED, when the magnets are active.

There is also an auto-grab that is earned via the pops, and that is triggered if the ball exits the pops to the upper flipper. This will trigger the 'Super High Striker', where hitting the newton ball (and then the captive ball into the stand-up target) will award big points. You know it is super striker when you hear Inga count you down in German. We have improved the animation, voice calls, and light shows around the High Striker in the next release.

I can hit the lock pretty regularly, both off the MagNab, on the fly or just when the ball finds it way there (and I am not a great player by any means). Of course I play a lot of Okto, and very little of anything else, so that helps me stay locked in on the spot on the flipper. Once you find the spot, you start to make it with increasing frequency. As Ferret said, making the power too high can make it harder to hit. The annoyance of making the ramp and not getting the lock, as I mentioned above, is pretty high for me, since I do make that shot regularly but I often forget to go re-light the lock, and it seems I tend to immediately make the ramp again, without it being lit. Of course the second most annoying thing is the way too high percentage of the time that when I do start BBMB, that I have no tent mode running.

#3500 4 years ago
Quoted from Viggin900:

It takes me several games that go on 45min plus till I finally get all 3 balls in the barrel, with the balls set to keep between games. Thats too long for an average player and my pin is set up fine. I don't usually get the lock is lit till end of ball 2 or 3. With having to light oktoberfest for the coaster and other things going on at the same time waiting for a ball lock to light is way to hard. Perhaps its a strategy thing? I'll start keeping track and see if it is similiar to everyone else.

This is alarming for me. I have this pin on order and I had no idea that playing it can drone on for 45+ min. That's possibly even longer than Lord of the Rings. Marathon pins are bad for multi-player, bad for league, bad for route, and generally not my style. If the average game on this pin is truly 20-30+ minutes I may need to walk away.

Do you guys have any thoughts on this?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

8,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dixon, CA
$ 11.99
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

$ 39.99
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

Playfield - Other
RavSpec

$ 7,795.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 7,899.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 8,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 7,795.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 129.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 140.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 4,992 posts in this topic. You are on page 70 of 100.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/joe-balcer-confirms-oktoberfest-as-american-pinbals-next-pin/page/70 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.