(Topic ID: 224963)

Joe Balcer confirms Oktoberfest as American Pinball's next pin.

By PismoArcade

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 4,992 posts
  • 466 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Ferret
  • Topic is favorited by 79 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

8880f5e6998fb0663ff4a9a77f40c92eb6c125f2 (resized).png
okt (resized).jpg
59547925-ED73-4D13-9C0B-C0B4DB7F1F2C (resized).jpeg
20210418_173000 (resized).jpg
IMG_8199 (resized).jpg
20211127_232248 (resized).jpg
BLKFRIDAY2021 (1) (resized).png
16341706819071145026220657450351 (resized).jpg
AAAABWnlUYQGnwPYrDFi3t2ZJg8xDmhdqB2hGmDLTPnpLg4SjPq15X8P8IAl66bSXZXeQjCVgv9i_WrsIbMEvcUa9pH863X- (resized).jpg
20211006_190939 (resized).jpg
47cc5c7a51600f42dccc5022b9550eca8025c861 (resized).jpg
IMG_7361 (resized).jpg
IMG_7362 (resized).jpg
Okt upgraded coil stop - blue = new (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
20210620_160449 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 4,992 posts in this topic. You are on page 67 of 100.
#3301 4 years ago

I do think a plastic shield around the whole yellow ramp might allow for operators to amp up the power to the flipper, but I am not sure if that would make it more or less fun. You might end up with more ball damage to surrounding targets too?

#3302 4 years ago

My view on callouts is that less is more. I’d rather have a fair amount of good/funny ones, than to have a speech callout for every insert that lights up. Right now it’s pretty good, and I’m excited to hear some of the new callouts. There’s already plenty of informational callouts within modes and locks and such.

#3303 4 years ago

Does anyone recognize this chip? I found it in the cabinet during the cleaning I did right after my tournament. I cannot imagine that it fell off of anything as it looks like the legs were cleanly clipped, but I don't know. Sorry the photo is a bit blurry, the chip is super small.

IMG_1391 (resized).jpegIMG_1391 (resized).jpeg
#3304 4 years ago

If you can't hit the beer barrel ramp with the help of the magnet then the flipper may need more power. The shot is definitely towards the tip of the flipper, not mid-range like Dialed in. If you are flowing the left orbit and bang that shot, look out because it will not hold the ramp or rail, we need a top shield/cage to make it hold all the way to the barrel. Overall it is very make-able.

#3305 4 years ago
Quoted from Aniraf:

Does anyone recognize this chip? I found it in the cabinet during the cleaning I did right after my tournament. I cannot imagine that it fell off of anything as it looks like the legs were cleanly clipped, but I don't know. Sorry the photo is a bit blurry, the chip is super small.[quoted image]

Hard to tell for sure from your picture but it looks like a SMD (surface mount device) capacitor. My guess is that it is probably off one of the PD-16 driver boards mounted under the PF. https://www.multimorphic.com/content/uploads/2017/06/PD-16_585x411_small.png

Visual inspection of those boards should confirm which one and where the device came loose from. Most likely a cold solder joint caused this and you could re-solder that cap back onto the board, just be absolutely sure to get the polarity right if you do otherwise you'll probably get a nice smokey bang as a reward for your troubles.

#3306 4 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

Hard to tell for sure from your picture but it looks like a SMD (surface mount device) capacitor.

Yeah, I think you are correct. I'll get the machine open again and take a look. Oddly it does not seem to be impacting anything.

#3307 4 years ago
Quoted from Aniraf:

Yeah, I think you are correct. I'll get the machine open again and take a look. Oddly it does not seem to be impacting anything.

It is almost certainly a filter cap for a power supply and therefore not 100% required for operation but can cause problems in certain situations and / or long-term.

#3308 4 years ago

Send you pic to Barry and ask him as well
[email protected]

#3309 4 years ago

Now you can see why my wife likes OKT so much. Yep, she whooped me again.

20190724_142439.jpg20190724_142439.jpg
#3310 4 years ago
Quoted from arcadem:

Now you can see why my wife likes OKT so much. Yep, she whooped me again.[quoted image]

LOL..Mines hates it because I bumped her out of the top scores.(That's what she says anyway)

We are not as good as you guys yet. I'm lucky to break a million right now.

#3311 4 years ago

Hey, I am used to it. She has the top score on all of our games. She is amazingly good and I am fine with that because she is fine with my buying new games, new mods, etc. I just wish I could say I let her win on purpose, lol, but nope. You know the saying about happy wife, happy life right? So good for your wife and good for you!

#3312 4 years ago

Anyone know when/if cliffies will be made for this game?

#3313 4 years ago

19.7.27 has a ring to it

#3314 4 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

19.7.27 has a ring to it

New code?

#3315 4 years ago

Aniraf it's on the website. I put on about 45 mins ago. Like it a lot.

#3316 4 years ago
Quoted from Aniraf:

Does anyone recognize this chip? I found it in the cabinet during the cleaning I did right after my tournament. I cannot imagine that it fell off of anything as it looks like the legs were cleanly clipped, but I don't know. Sorry the photo is a bit blurry, the chip is super small.[quoted image]

It's a tantalum capacitor. It was probably being used as a voltage rail power filter which is why losing it wouldn't noticeably affect anything.

You should solder it back on. Note the line on one side - this indicates the positive end and it must be re-installed correctly just like an electrolytic cap.

#3317 4 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

It's a tantalum capacitor. It was probably being used as a voltage rail power filter which is why losing it wouldn't noticeably affect anything.
You should solder it back on. Note the line on one side - this indicates the positive end and it must be re-installed correctly just like an electrolytic cap.

I need to find where it came from first. Also I am not sure how my surface mount soldering skills fair. I’ll see what I can do ASAP.

#3318 4 years ago

Is there a good tutorial or stream out there on the rules? I still can't figure out stuff like lighting the tent etc? I guess when the code is finished it would make sense. This game is pretty deep and would love a good tutorial like they do on pinball arcade. Something for everyone to reference for owners and tournaments.

#3319 4 years ago

Me too. The rules are supposed to be in the manual that came with my game but all I got was an "abridged" version. Without Ferret's and Rosh's coaching posts this game would be a journey based on discoveries. I sure hiope they release a fully finished manual with the rules included soon.

#3320 4 years ago

Just downloaded 19-7-27 update. So far trouble free and even more fun to play. New animations are real improvements with better color and humor. We found the 'non family friendly ' version to be 'cute' with nothing at all offensive but we know we haven't heard all of them yet. Safe bet though that AP was cautious in their approach. The new attraction modes are very nice as are the upgrades in music. A job well done but we would really hope to see a complete manual with a rule set included in the next update. Carry on Josh, Ferret, Joe and all the AP Team. You just keep reinforcing our decision that Oktoberfest is a great game to have in our collection!

#3321 4 years ago

I just installed the new version,rebooted and I am pretty sure it was on main screen? than I installed the custom.png i wanted for the attract screen. Rebooted and now it keeps cycling through the boot screen over and over and this message in between? I cant play the game?

20190727_131148 (resized).jpg20190727_131148 (resized).jpg
#3322 4 years ago
Quoted from Viggin900:

I just installed the new version,rebooted

Can you try this again ?

LTG : )

#3323 4 years ago
Quoted from Viggin900:

I just installed the new version,rebooted and I am pretty sure it was on main screen? than I installed the custom.png i wanted for the attract screen. Rebooted and now it keeps cycling through the boot screen over and over and this message in between? I cant play the game?[quoted image]

You custom image is invalid. Install a correctly formatted one to correct the issue. I’ll get you a link shortly to one that you can download that is correct that will fix this. Please send me the logs that are put in the USb when you install correct image.

#3324 4 years ago

Thx, I erased the message. It worked after rebooting several times. Fine now. Not sure what happened? Love the new version. Bumper car in non family is funny! Lightshow is great and the new festgrounds really ties in the theme better and otto's bar.
Only thing I noticed is I had a jackpot after the balls had drained from BB multiball. Long delay? Some shaker while riding the looper would b nice like the corkscrew. Well done! The new music makes me feel like Im in Munich!

#3325 4 years ago
Quoted from Viggin900:

Thx, I erased the message. It worked after rebooting several times. Fine now. Not sure what happened? Love the new version. Bumper car in non family is funny! Lightshow is great and the new festgrounds really ties in the theme better and otto's bar.
Only thing I noticed is I had a jackpot after the balls had drained from BB multiball. Long delay? Some shaker while riding the looper would b nice like the corkscrew. Well done! The new music makes me feel like Im in Munich!

If possible, send me the logs if they are still on the USB from when you did the fix as well as the image that caused the issue. [email protected]

Just in case, here is a valid formatted custom message . . .
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1yB5eT45Fku_kdk9TXtIiPz-adVmf5bKa

#3326 4 years ago
Quoted from Viggin900:Is there a good tutorial or stream out there on the rules? I still can't figure out stuff like lighting the tent etc? I guess when the code is finished it would make sense. This game is pretty deep and would love a good tutorial like they do on pinball arcade. Something for everyone to reference for owners and tournaments.
Quoted from arcadem:

Me too. The rules are supposed to be in the manual that came with my game but all I got was an "abridged" version. Without Ferret's and Rosh's coaching posts this game would be a journey based on discoveries. I sure hiope they release a fully finished manual with the rules included soon.

Below is the info for that section of the manual. Barry is working on the update to the manual.

While we have not done a tutorial, there are a couple of steams where rules and strategy are discussed. Of course, as I have said, my strategies keep evolving.

This was at SFGE, and features the latest code. I am on part for part of the stream talking about various aspects of game play. The guy playing when I joined had a great game . . .

This was a stream on the Flip 'n Out channel where we play and talk Oktoberfest . . .

Here is the rules section from the manual.

Oktoberfest_rules.pdfOktoberfest_rules.pdf

#3327 4 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

tantalum capacitor

I liked "tantrum capacitor" better.

#3328 4 years ago

Love the new code update. Callouts, music, graphics... neat stuff! Magnab/Autograb is great, working like it should. Good job AP!

#3329 4 years ago

The new update looks awesome so far. I am going to get out to the bar tonight and give it some play. I like the new screens!

#3330 4 years ago

Different topic, while I was at the bar patching the game, I looked for where that tantalum capacitor came from. I cannot find it! Every one of the node boards looks completely populated with the exception of one spot (circled) which I think is supposed to be like that. Does anyone see something I am missing? Pictures of these boards are hard, sorry.

178C6266-FFD2-45CA-8282-F11AF0BCFFB4 (resized).jpeg178C6266-FFD2-45CA-8282-F11AF0BCFFB4 (resized).jpeg2A923719-DAA7-45B1-B26F-F2A62DA89AEA (resized).jpeg2A923719-DAA7-45B1-B26F-F2A62DA89AEA (resized).jpeg30E7205E-4B13-4BFA-8C77-948780BC09C0 (resized).jpeg30E7205E-4B13-4BFA-8C77-948780BC09C0 (resized).jpeg401AEA42-F6EE-47EF-8919-981FD7960531 (resized).jpeg401AEA42-F6EE-47EF-8919-981FD7960531 (resized).jpegB895BCA0-2BE6-4E5F-9F1A-E02FC5B84A08 (resized).jpegB895BCA0-2BE6-4E5F-9F1A-E02FC5B84A08 (resized).jpegDE4D1C7A-7931-4FC6-8A78-8A3869F98627 (resized).jpegDE4D1C7A-7931-4FC6-8A78-8A3869F98627 (resized).jpegF87942E4-EA5F-40CC-A04F-844300D6E7A9 (resized).jpegF87942E4-EA5F-40CC-A04F-844300D6E7A9 (resized).jpegFA6A2E74-8F4F-4F0D-BE0E-78C2D87504B2 (resized).jpegFA6A2E74-8F4F-4F0D-BE0E-78C2D87504B2 (resized).jpeg
#3331 4 years ago

Does the capacitor look like it broken off? Maybe you aren't actually missing anything.

#3332 4 years ago

played with the new code...... great job one little problem , the ball trough sometimes will not send up ball takes a couple tries. end of ball shows up and its on to ball 2

#3333 4 years ago
Quoted from mof:

I liked "tantrum capacitor" better.

So the motherboard literally "threw a tantrum"?

#3334 4 years ago
Quoted from gmanrulz46:

great job one little problem , the ball trough sometimes will not send up ball takes a couple tries. end of ball shows up and its on to ball 2

Huh. Obviously that should not happen. I'll check it out. Meanwhile, sounds like you might want to slightly increase the coil strength of the Trough Eject coil to help the balls get out of there.

Sorry for the inconvenience!

#3335 4 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

Does the capacitor look like it broken off? Maybe you aren't actually missing anything.

I wish I could take a super macro picture of it…but no, the “legs” are sheered off and there is no sign of residual solder. The only reason I would think that it fell off of something is because it was in the cabinet and I can’t believe AP is building up these boards while they are in the cabinet.

#3336 4 years ago
Quoted from Aniraf:

Different topic, while I was at the bar patching the game, I looked for where that tantalum capacitor came from. I cannot find it! Every one of the node boards looks completely populated with the exception of one spot (circled) which I think is supposed to be like that. Does anyone see something I am missing? Pictures of these boards are hard, sorry.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I don’t have access to my machine at the moment, but comparing your photos to the images on Multimorphic’s web site, it looks like this might be the spot...
5F94B91E-6F14-4C11-80FC-42F3A66E1967 (resized).jpeg5F94B91E-6F14-4C11-80FC-42F3A66E1967 (resized).jpeg

735BF1FE-E5B2-4AAD-9126-14D07E093F0F (resized).png735BF1FE-E5B2-4AAD-9126-14D07E093F0F (resized).png
#3337 4 years ago
Quoted from Paul_from_Gilroy:

I don’t have access to my machine at the moment, but comparing your photos to the images on Multimorphic’s web site, it looks like this might be the spot...[quoted image]

If you look at pictures 1 vs 2, they both have 3 of those capacitors in the same spaces and omit the one you circled. I was comparing those because they looked to be the same board, but perhaps you are correct and I am actually missing 2 of them?

I emailed Barry at AP but haven’t gotten a response yet.

#3338 4 years ago
Quoted from Aniraf:

If you look at pictures 1 vs 2, they both have 3 of those capacitors in the same spaces and omit the one you circled. I was comparing those because they looked to be the same board, but perhaps you are correct and I am actually missing 2 of them?

Just peeked in my game. That cap is omitted in my game too. In your photos, there’s a board that has 5 caps. My game has three of those boards (I only see two in your photos). So make sure you checked all three of those boards.

#3339 4 years ago
Quoted from Aniraf:

Email Gerry at Multimorphic. If it's off of one of his boards, he can probably spot it right away.

https://www.multimorphic.com/

#3340 4 years ago

Just peeked in my game. That cap is omitted in my game too. In your photos, there’s a board that has 5 caps. My game has three of those boards (I only see two in your photos). So make sure you checked all three of those boards.

Oh good catch. I must have missed one.

#3341 4 years ago

OH NO! Played a few games on the new code(not sure if this is cause), got to Flipper Meister, had barely started the mode, having my best game ever by far and the game resets.....

#3342 4 years ago

Ugh. Murphy's Law, I guess. Sorry about that. Any chance you grabbed a log?

#3343 4 years ago

I already sent Rosh a PM about this but when I started Flipper Meister I lost all sound until my ball went stdm. Coincidence or more evidence of where there may be a bug in 7-27-19?

#3344 4 years ago

@arcadem, did you get a system reset during Flipper Meister also, or just lost audio?

Either way, certainly possible that a bug snuck in there... if so, apologies, and we'll see about getting it fixed ASAP. We hate crashers as much as y'all do.

#3345 4 years ago

No issue other than total loss of all sounds. Same thing also happened once under 6-7-19
Code but I did not recall what else was occurring so when I informed Josh then about the happenstance, he asked me to tell what was occurring if it did it again. That is why I sent him the pm today.

#3346 4 years ago
Quoted from Ferret:

Ugh. Murphy's Law, I guess. Sorry about that. Any chance you grabbed a log?

No sorry, I assume I have to do that right after the game? For future reference how do you do that?

#3347 4 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

Below is the info for that section of the manual. Barry is working on the update to the manual.
While we have not done a tutorial, there are a couple of steams where rules and strategy are discussed. Of course, as I have said, my strategies keep evolving.
This was at SFGE, and features the latest code. I am on part for part of the stream talking about various aspects of game play. The guy playing when I joined had a great game . . .

This was a stream on the Flip 'n Out channel where we play and talk Oktoberfest . . .

Here is the rules section from the manual.
[quoted image]

The manual is done, except for some last minute adds and such. Download it....https://www.american-pinball.com/support/

#3348 4 years ago
Quoted from Aniraf:

Different topic, while I was at the bar patching the game, I looked for where that tantalum capacitor came from. I cannot find it! Every one of the node boards looks completely populated with the exception of one spot (circled) which I think is supposed to be like that. Does anyone see something I am missing? Pictures of these boards are hard, sorry.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

That is supposed to be empty.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#3349 4 years ago

I don’t have access to my machine at the moment, but comparing your photos to the images on Multimorphic’s web site, it looks like this might be the spot...
[quoted image][quoted image]

Also, supposed to be empty.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#3350 4 years ago
Quoted from bemmett:

No sorry, I assume I have to do that right after the game? For future reference how do you do that?

Go to page 55 of the Oktoberfest manual for instructions.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Queen Creek, AZ
$ 7,795.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

$ 129.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 140.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 11.99
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

$ 8,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 7,899.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 39.99
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

$ 7,795.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

8,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dixon, CA
$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

There are 4,992 posts in this topic. You are on page 67 of 100.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/joe-balcer-confirms-oktoberfest-as-american-pinbals-next-pin/page/67?hl=dandandan and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.