(Topic ID: 224963)

Joe Balcer confirms Oktoberfest as American Pinball's next pin.

By PismoArcade

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 4,992 posts
  • 466 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Ferret
  • Topic is favorited by 79 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

8880f5e6998fb0663ff4a9a77f40c92eb6c125f2 (resized).png
okt (resized).jpg
59547925-ED73-4D13-9C0B-C0B4DB7F1F2C (resized).jpeg
20210418_173000 (resized).jpg
IMG_8199 (resized).jpg
20211127_232248 (resized).jpg
BLKFRIDAY2021 (1) (resized).png
16341706819071145026220657450351 (resized).jpg
AAAABWnlUYQGnwPYrDFi3t2ZJg8xDmhdqB2hGmDLTPnpLg4SjPq15X8P8IAl66bSXZXeQjCVgv9i_WrsIbMEvcUa9pH863X- (resized).jpg
20211006_190939 (resized).jpg
47cc5c7a51600f42dccc5022b9550eca8025c861 (resized).jpg
IMG_7361 (resized).jpg
IMG_7362 (resized).jpg
Okt upgraded coil stop - blue = new (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
20210620_160449 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 4,992 posts in this topic. You are on page 66 of 100.
#3251 4 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

I fought hard to get RGB GI, and Ferret has led our efforts to use it to create “atmosphere” during all the modes, with a diferrent feel for the different types of Oktoberfest activities. Spotlights toward the front of the game would really lessen that effect. I’ll give some thought to how “spots” might be better implemented given what “resources” might be available in the machine and if that is something we can offer as an add-on.

I think every game needs to be tested in a completely dark room to make sure that the game can look good in all lighting environments. A lot of games end up being too dark when played in the dark.

#3252 4 years ago

check out frank lindenmuth of tnt amusements blog of fixing my octoberfest. knocker problem..... very interesting article........at noquartersarcade.com.. still waiting for my houdini knocker.....

#3253 4 years ago

I just heard on Kaneda's podcast that Oktoberfest was on sale at 10% off on July 4th. Why am I just hearing about this? You would think that Houdini owners would have gotten an email with that promotional offer.

#3254 4 years ago
Quoted from konjurer:

I just heard on Kaneda's podcast that Oktoberfest was on sale at 10% off on July 4th. Why am I just hearing about this? You would think that Houdini owners would have gotten an email with that promotional offer.

That's not quite right...
Merch in the online store was on sale 10% off for the 4th of July week end
which you should have gotten an e-mail about none the less
I am working on making sure the e-mail lists are up to date and when we announce something everyone will get an e-mail

#3255 4 years ago
Quoted from konjurer:

Make sure you register your game... this is the only way we grab your email address.

#3256 4 years ago

I did that as soon as it came and the registration was confirmed; no emails about anything yet from AP. Looks like, as DanDanDan said, it is an area that needs attention.

#3257 4 years ago

We were testing new code at SFGE, and while there is a minor issue with a falsely reported switch error, we have decided to let some more folks test this code. It will be a limited number, but if you are interested PM, today.

#3258 4 years ago
Quoted from BarryJ:

Make sure you register your game... this is the only way we grab your email address.

Yes, I am registered. Thanks.

#3259 4 years ago

I guess that sounded too good to be true! Kaneda was speculating that sales were slow and therefore the Fest was being discounted.

#3260 4 years ago

For what it's worth, I think Kaneda suffers from confirmation bias and will say anything that seems to buttress his assertion that OKT is a failed theme. Any fool should have known that the sale applied only to merchandise in AP's online store but Kaneda runs with a totally fallacious story that AP is having to discount OKT to get rid of them. That is goes right along with his saying that only 43 posts are on the OKT Owners string and so that proves his contention of low interest in the game while he omits mentioning the more than 3000 posts about OKT on the "Balcer thread". For some reason, unbeknownst to me, he seems to want to see OKT to be proven as a failure. Maybe because AP did not follow his 'perfect marketing formula'? Who knows but one thing is certain. His opinions are his alone and not to be instantly accepted. Despite Kaneda's fake news, my personal opinion about OKT is that it's great game and many of Kaneda's guests on his Podcast have told him the same thing. And yet, he continues his same old tired song.

#3261 4 years ago

While Oktoberfest may not be a theme that has a ton of folks chomping at the bit to buy, like some other recent themes (although there are certainly more than you would think), once people experience it, it typically exceeds all expectations and they find it is a pin they want to play and own. Can’t say I have had anyone tell me they were disappointed in it.

#3262 4 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

once people experience it, it typically exceeds all expectations and they find it is a pin they want to play and own.

rosh ( Josh ) is right. Oktoberfest is a great looking game. A lot to it. And a heck of a lot of fun to play.

If you haven't played it yet. Do so as soon as you can. At a show, on location, or a friends house. You'll soon be wanting one for yourself.

LTG : )

#3263 4 years ago

Are some people so desperate for anything pinball, you would listen to that jackoff Special K. Seek help.

For those who dont know, Special K was also Jpoops official spokesidiot.

#3264 4 years ago

Kaneda's my favorite podcast. He can be a complete ass at times, gets things wrong and inconsistent but he owns it. I’ve listened to most of his podcasts and I can’t recall him ever being a shill for Jpop.

He’s been slightly kinder to API lately but I’m sure he wants to be proven right that Oktoberfest is a terrible theme. I happen to disagree but sales will be the final judge. It’s a great man cave theme and the perfect bar, brewery, or barcade theme.

#3265 4 years ago
Quoted from konjurer:

Kaneda's my favorite podcast. He can be a complete ass at times, gets things wrong and inconsistent but he owns it. I’ve listened to most of his podcasts and I can’t recall him ever being a shill for Jpop.
He’s been slightly kinder to API lately but I’m sure he wants to be proven right that Oktoberfest is a terrible theme. I happen to disagree but sales will be the final judge. It’s a great man cave theme and the perfect bar, brewery, or barcade theme.

Seems he just uses his platform that you all give him to tear down things he doesnt like, or will stir the pot, needlessly. Whatever, your time to waste.

Have you played Oktoberfest? He hates it(although not sure what makes him an expert) but do YOU have a thought.

#3266 4 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

Whatever, your time to waste.

You're right, it's my time to waste.

#3267 4 years ago
Quoted from konjurer:

You're right, it's my time to waste.

Of course I'm right. Hello!

#3268 4 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

Seems he just uses his platform that you all give him to tear down things he doesnt like, or will stir the pot, needlessly.

Seems to be a technique that is coming right from the top of the US Govt's leadership.

Such are the days we live in.

#3269 4 years ago

This thread is getting way off track. So when are we going to see a stream of the new code?

#3270 4 years ago
Quoted from konjurer:

So when are we going to see a stream of the new code?

When will we hear more about the secret flipper codes rosh hinted at awhile back ?

LTG : )

#3271 4 years ago
Quoted from BarryJ:

We're definitely registered. No promotional email.

#3272 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

We're definitely registered. No promotional email.

we're working on fixing this and making sure all the people on our e-mail list get e-mails

#3273 4 years ago

this approach might be more effective than an email.

#3274 4 years ago

I hope we get an extra ball animation improvement next code.

#3275 4 years ago
Quoted from konjurer:

I guess that sounded too good to be true! Kaneda was speculating that sales were slow and therefore the Fest was being discounted.

Never believe a word that idiot says. He also thinks the game stinks but a pin about a chocolate factory is the golden ticket. Wrong oompah, the polka oompah version is better.

#3276 4 years ago
Quoted from greenhornet:

this approach might be more effective than an email.

I'll propose it at the next sales meeting!

#3277 4 years ago
Quoted from Viggin900:

Never believe a word that idiot says. He also thinks the game stinks but a pin about a chocolate factory is the golden ticket. Wrong oompah, the polka oompah version is better.

He's not so sold on Wonka anymore. He has seen the error of his hype ways, and well...the game not being what he hoped it to be, I'd say.

#3278 4 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

He's not so sold on Wonka anymore. He has seen the error of his hype ways, and well...the game not being what he hoped it to be, I'd say.

And hes a destructive lying moron.

#3279 4 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

And hes a destructive lying moron.

Eh. Or you can take him for what he is and just enjoy the podcast as gossipy entertainment.

Or get angry at him.

Either or really. :~)

#3280 4 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

We were testing new code at SFGE, and while there is a minor issue with a falsely reported switch error, we have decided to let some more folks test this code. It will be a limited number, but if you are interested PM, today.

I have the new code from SFGE. Lots of good "adult" shout outs from Inga.

#3281 4 years ago

Well I have had my game for 3 months now. I have followed the thread and development. I have to say that the game plays perfect. I have not had a single issue. Plays perfect.love the game

#3282 4 years ago

First, why are there three distinct posts on Oktoberfest? Can we all just agree this one is the “club” since it has the most history?

Second, I found a new place for the ball to get stuck tonight. I am actually completely surprised my this one, but it needed the glass lifted for sure!

3DB3B280-076B-4BBD-9FC7-70A304F5F9E1 (resized).jpeg3DB3B280-076B-4BBD-9FC7-70A304F5F9E1 (resized).jpeg
#3283 4 years ago

Played this on location last night. Does this game not have a ball search? Ball was stuck. I waited at least a full 60 seconds. No search. Had to tilt game to free stuck ball.

Also ended up with two balls in the scoop on lower left. The VUK took 8 attempts to eject. I finally helped it with some well timed nudging. Odd that it is not designed to eject two balls.

#3284 4 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

Seems he just uses his platform that you all give him to tear down things he doesnt like, or will stir the pot, needlessly. Whatever, your time to waste.
Have you played Oktoberfest? He hates it(although not sure what makes him an expert) but do YOU have a thought.

Not like you are not using this forum to spew your hate.

#3285 4 years ago
Quoted from Aniraf:

First, why are there three distinct posts on Oktoberfest? Can we all just agree this one is the “club” since it has the most history?
Second, I found a new place for the ball to get stuck tonight. I am actually completely surprised my this one, but it needed the glass lifted for sure![quoted image]

This may have been where mine got stuck when playing my friend's game a couple weeks ago, I drilled and I mean DRILLED the beer barrel ramp and stood there wondering why I didn't get the lock animation. After about 15 or 20 seconds I gave the game a couple nudges thinking the ball just wasn't sitting in front of an opto or on the switch (not sure which is in there) and the ball came rolling back down the end of the ramp. Completely surprised both of us, it could have been somewhere else though, not sure as we could not see it and the owner was standing to my right so he had a better angle on the back of the barrel.

#3286 4 years ago
Quoted from Aniraf:

Second, I found a new place for the ball to get stuck tonight. I am actually completely surprised my this one, but it needed the glass lifted for sure![quoted image]

Sometimes the ball will be shifting side to side as it flies down the wiredorm. I suggest bending the left side of that entry bracket out to side the entrance

Quoted from dugmar:

Played this on location last night. Does this game not have a ball search? Ball was stuck. I waited at least a full 60 seconds. No search. Had to tilt game to free stuck ball.
Also ended up with two balls in the scoop on lower left. The VUK took 8 attempts to eject. I finally helped it with some well timed nudging. Odd that it is not designed to eject two balls.

Ball search should kick in at around 30 seconds if no switches have been hit. Where was it stuck?

have not seen isssues with scoop kicking out with more than one ball, but I’ll take a look at it.

#3287 4 years ago

I played it at pintastic and enjoyed it a lot more then I thought I would. My wife eveb said if she was going to choose a new game that Oktoberfest would probably be it.

#3288 4 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

Sometimes the ball will be shifting side to side as it flies down the wiredorm. I suggest bending the left side of that entry bracket out to side the entrance

Ball search should kick in at around 30 seconds if no switches have been hit. Where was it stuck?
have not seen isssues with scoop kicking out with more than one ball, but I’ll take a look at it.

I had it happen to me also. I finally was able to eject the multiple balls by pushing the start button. Weird happenstance but it worked

#3289 4 years ago
Quoted from DerGoetz:

Not like you are not using this forum to spew your hate.

Yea, I hate morons, clowns and snowflakes. Now go on and play some pinball

Looking forward to playing Oktoberfest next week at a small barcade, when I'm not on call!!

#3290 4 years ago
Quoted from dugmar:

If your operator is friendly, ask them to verify that they have the latest code version installed on the game. Last month's code update (19.6.5) is more aggressive about boosting the scoop eject strength if the balls aren't coming out (e.g. when more than one is stacked in there). And also tell them to keep their eyes peeled for another update in the coming days that has lots of great enhancements.

#3291 4 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

Yea, I hate morons, clowns and snowflakes.

hates snowflakes.

completely triggered by kaneda and his optional podcast.

cant make it up folks!

#3292 4 years ago
Quoted from anathematize:

hates snowflakes.
completely triggered by kaneda and his optional podcast.
cant make it up folks!

So hes not a liar. Coolio!

Let it go buttercup and play some pinball.

#3293 4 years ago

At the little tournament I did tonight, I found one more ball trap. This one came flying off the Prost targets and caught enough air to end up on top of the plastic.

We had a lot of good players and everyone really seemed to enjoy the game. I saw only one beer barrel lock in about 150 games or so. Unfortunately someone took my USB with the audits so I am guessing .

7EB340A1-1E60-4F5E-A7CD-99EEA3136CCE (resized).jpeg7EB340A1-1E60-4F5E-A7CD-99EEA3136CCE (resized).jpeg
#3294 4 years ago
Quoted from Aniraf:

We had a lot of good players and everyone really seemed to enjoy the game. I saw only one beer barrel lock in about 150 games or so.

Very glad to hear that everyone had fun with Oktoberfest!

But... only one Beer Barrel LOCK in 150 GAMES? Honestly, without more information, I'm not sure what to tell you, but something isn't right there. The Beer Barrel ramp is not an easy shot, but it certainly shouldn't be that hard. Maybe try adjusting your "Upr R Flipper Main" coil strength up, or down. Check the level and slope of the game (intended configuration is for all leg levelers to be fully in, except for what's required to level the game left-to-right).

Just speaking for myself: I'm a solid but not exceptional player, admittedly with a lot of experience on Oktoberfest. If I'm just playing and not testing something specific, I expect to get a couple Beer Barrel locks EACH GAME. Certainly it's easier from a flipper MagNab, but even for players unfamiliar with the MagNab button, there are enough automatic MagNab opportunities in the game that players should be able to lock balls in the Beer Barrel. I'd love to hear any information you can provide on what you've seen here, so hopefully we can help guide you into getting the Beer Barrel working as expected for your players. One thing to note is that the game has audits for both making the Beer Barrel ramp shot ("Upper Ramp Made") as well as actually locking balls in the Beer Barrel ("Beer Barrel Lock 1", "Beer Barrel Lock 2", "Beer Barrel Lock 3"), so hopefully these can provide some objective data for the situation.

Thanks!

#3295 4 years ago
Quoted from Ferret:

Very glad to hear that everyone had fun with Oktoberfest!
But... only one Beer Barrel LOCK in 150 GAMES? Honestly, without more information, I'm not sure what to tell you, but something isn't right there. The Beer Barrel ramp is not an easy shot, but it certainly shouldn't be that hard. Maybe try adjusting your "Upr R Flipper Main" coil strength up, or down. Check the level and slope of the game (intended configuration is for all leg levelers to be fully in, except for what's required to level the game left-to-right).
Just speaking for myself: I'm a solid but not exceptional player, admittedly with a lot of experience on Oktoberfest. If I'm just playing and not testing something specific, I expect to get a couple Beer Barrel locks EACH GAME. Certainly it's easier from a flipper MagNab, but even for players unfamiliar with the MagNab button, there are enough automatic MagNab opportunities in the game that players should be able to lock balls in the Beer Barrel. I'd love to hear any information you can provide on what you've seen here, so hopefully we can help guide you into getting the Beer Barrel working as expected for your players. One thing to note is that the game has audits for both making the Beer Barrel ramp shot ("Upper Ramp Made") as well as actually locking balls in the Beer Barrel ("Beer Barrel Lock 1", "Beer Barrel Lock 2", "Beer Barrel Lock 3"), so hopefully these can provide some objective data for the situation.
Thanks!

I agree, the shot is hard but very possible. I mentioned that in thinking it would be interesting for you guys to know that most players weren’t going for it. It could have either been bad shots or lack of interest in that lock. It could be an opportunity to add a significant reward for reaching it.

Personally I find the shot seems a bit more difficult when it is coming off the magnet. Increasing the coil strength makes that easier, but comes with an added issue of jumping off the ramp when making the shot off the roll.

I am pretty happy with where it sits right now as it is possible to make it off the roll, or off the magnet with perfect timing, but doesn’t consistently fly off the yellow ramp.

Anyway, I figured I would provide you with the anecdotal data since I cannot find that usb with the audits on it .

#3296 4 years ago

Definitely appreciate any and all customer feedback. At the least, maybe we can add some more callouts guiding the player to shoot the ramp, especially after a MagNab when they have a moment to think about it.

#3297 4 years ago
Quoted from Ferret:

Definitely appreciate any and all customer feedback. At the least, maybe we can add some more callouts guiding the player to shoot the ramp, especially after a MagNab when they have a moment to think about it.

Maybe, although Otto already informed me that it's ready and the insert is telling me it's ready. A higher priority for me would be a callout when you successfully clobber the high striker after Inga says "Eins... Zwei... Drei... Strike!". It seems odd to me that she makes a big deal out of shooting for the striker... but doesn't say squat when you make the difficult shot.

#3298 4 years ago

about the barrel ramp (and i still dont have the pin) :

this remind me my X-MEN, to much power on the upper flipper, than lots of air/jumping balls while climbing the ramp (because its simply physical)

to solve the prob i made/cut myself a plastic to cover the ramp, to keep the ball in it, was working 100% after that... may be a clue for AP...

#3299 4 years ago
Quoted from Aniraf:

I've had a ball get stuck there 3 or 4 times out of hundreds of games. Ball Search jiggled it free every time. A weird thing in my game right now is that the ball sometimes gets stuck on the spinner. That's right, the spinner! Once in a while, if the spinner is not quite stopped when the magnet releases the ball, the ball slowly leaves the magnet just as the spinner comes around and the ball gets wedged-in. It never happened at all until I adjusted my spinner switch to ensure the spinner spins freely.

#3300 4 years ago
Quoted from Aniraf:

I had that happen to me last week, they may want to come up with something for that spot?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 7,795.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 39.99
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

$ 11.99
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

$ 129.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 7,795.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 7,899.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 140.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

$ 8,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Queen Creek, AZ
8,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dixon, CA
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 4,992 posts in this topic. You are on page 66 of 100.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/joe-balcer-confirms-oktoberfest-as-american-pinbals-next-pin/page/66 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.