(Topic ID: 224963)

Joe Balcer confirms Oktoberfest as American Pinball's next pin.

By PismoArcade

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 4,992 posts
  • 466 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Ferret
  • Topic is favorited by 79 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

8880f5e6998fb0663ff4a9a77f40c92eb6c125f2 (resized).png
okt (resized).jpg
59547925-ED73-4D13-9C0B-C0B4DB7F1F2C (resized).jpeg
20210418_173000 (resized).jpg
IMG_8199 (resized).jpg
20211127_232248 (resized).jpg
BLKFRIDAY2021 (1) (resized).png
16341706819071145026220657450351 (resized).jpg
AAAABWnlUYQGnwPYrDFi3t2ZJg8xDmhdqB2hGmDLTPnpLg4SjPq15X8P8IAl66bSXZXeQjCVgv9i_WrsIbMEvcUa9pH863X- (resized).jpg
20211006_190939 (resized).jpg
47cc5c7a51600f42dccc5022b9550eca8025c861 (resized).jpg
IMG_7361 (resized).jpg
IMG_7362 (resized).jpg
Okt upgraded coil stop - blue = new (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
20210620_160449 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 4,992 posts in this topic. You are on page 65 of 100.
#3201 4 years ago

We have had the same ball stuck problem.

#3202 4 years ago
Quoted from Aniraf:

I had a ball fly off the barrel lock ramp and end up in this spot behind Otto. Although stuck balls are nothing new, the code did not handle this well. After two ball searches, it ejected another ball. I played that ball and when it drained it went back to searching for the first ball. Then the exact same thing happened again. Theoretically that puts the game on “free play” every time you get a stuck ball. I wanted to pass this along in hope that it might get a solution .[quoted image][quoted image]

Of course! Hopefully you don’t mind me throwing them out here on the forum.

#3203 4 years ago

Not at all... customers should feel comfortable contacting us via any means to report issues with our games. Can't always promise that everything reported will be fixed or changed, but certainly critical issues like this will be addressed, and generally we want to satisfy our customers, since that's how we, y'know, sell games.

#3204 4 years ago

Oktoberfest is on location at Hop Central in Chandler Arizona!

A325A5D6-1774-49B2-BD32-68646AB5F395 (resized).jpegA325A5D6-1774-49B2-BD32-68646AB5F395 (resized).jpeg
#3205 4 years ago

My wife and had a blast playing Oktoberfest at Hop Central.

20190706_201534 (resized).jpg20190706_201534 (resized).jpg
#3206 4 years ago
Quoted from gamera9:

My wife and had a blast playing Oktoberfest at Hop Central.[quoted image]

So cool! I am happy you had fun! I should be there next weekend to get the games waxed and ready for the big 7/20 event. Hopefully I’ll get to meet a couple of local pinheads over the next few weekends.

#3207 4 years ago

I'll be at Southern Fried Gaming this coming weekend. At 4PM on Saturday, in what should be an entertaining and informative seminar, I'll be sitting down with Zach Meny ZMeny (Straight Down the Middle, Flip N Out Pinball and the This Week in Pinball Podcast), to talk about the making of Oktoberfest, rules and tips for game play, whats up at American Pinball and whatever else Zach, or those who attend, ask about. Warning, part of this seminar will NOT be family friendly.

#3208 4 years ago

At first I was thinking about something like William's used in Funhouse behind the mirror to eliminate ball trapping. A piece of plastic angled with two plastic stand offs and anchored by a post nut but I dont think there would be enough post thread to use this type of setup. Have you contacted Cliffy? He's awesome at fabbing stuff up not to mention with the product being thin you could use the VUK ramp nut to lock it down in addition to his 3m adhesive. Not to mention this would take the customer all of 1 minute to install.

#3209 4 years ago
Quoted from Aniraf:

I had a ball fly off the barrel lock ramp and end up in this spot behind Otto. Although stuck balls are nothing new, the code did not handle this well. After two ball searches, it ejected another ball. I played that ball and when it drained it went back to searching for the first ball. Then the exact same thing happened again. Theoretically that puts the game on “free play” every time you get a stuck ball. I wanted to pass this along in hope that it might get a solution .[quoted image][quoted image]

Quoting my own post. This happened again on location. I just went to the bar to fix it. Is there any way to tilt the plastic back there so that the ball will roll off of it?

#3210 4 years ago
Quoted from Aniraf:

Quoting my own post. This happened again on location. I just went to the bar to fix it. Is there any way to tilt the plastic back there so that the ball will roll off of it?

Try giving Barry at API Customer Support a call or text: ‭(224) 422-3191.

The software handling of this situation should be improved in the upcoming version, BTW.

#3211 4 years ago
Quoted from Ferret:

Try giving Barry at API Customer Support a call or text: ‭(224) 422-3191.
The software handling of this situation should be improved in the upcoming version, BTW.

Cool, I will get in touch with him.

#3212 4 years ago

Slightly unrelated, but any teasers on rules / features in game #3?

#3213 4 years ago
Quoted from GrandFireball1:

Slightly unrelated, but any teasers on rules / features in game #3?

They've registered 5 or 6 properties, but Sherlock Holmes seems to be far and away the most-wanted of what they registered. Someone also said an actual licensed property may be in their future, too. Whatever they decide, I just pray they've hired a competent artist and/or art director from here forward. Oktoberfest screen art and animation is embarrassing.

#3214 4 years ago

Art is important, but the gameplay and rules are what really matters to me. Wonder if we’ll ever see a contract game from them too. Sherlock Holmes could certainly be interesting.

#3215 4 years ago

We hope that our game #3 will excite everyone with its well-recognized theme, great layout, and ruleset that is easy to understand yet has never been done before in pinball.

Then hopefully we'll do it all again for game #4.

#3216 4 years ago
Quoted from Ferret:

We hope that our game #3 will excite everyone with its well-recognized theme, great layout, and ruleset that is easy to understand yet has never been done before in pinball.
Then hopefully we'll do it all again for game #4.

That’s what I like to hear!

#3217 4 years ago

I think EVERYTHING about game#2 is great (art, animations, sound, rule set, game play, the whole taco). Not sure how you can improve on it but can't wait to see.

#3218 4 years ago

I’m still on the fence with Oktoberfest. I love it but there are so many other choices. Art and what’s on the LCD do matter to me in my purchasing decisions.

#3219 4 years ago
Quoted from konjurer:

I’m still on the fence with Oktoberfest. I love it but there are so many other choices. Art and what’s on the LCD do matter to me in my purchasing decisions.

As an owner, the artwork is pretty solid. It’s busy, but it works well. It’s a big festival with lots of stuff going on and that’s what you see. As far as animations, they’re good. Not saying they’re awesome, but they get the job done in a meaningful way. And you’re right, they’re many other choices, but I’d encourage you to go with Oktoberfest. What other titles are you considering anyway?

#3220 4 years ago

I’d encourage you to go with Oktoberfest. What other titles are you considering anyway?

Considering BKSOR Pro, Monster Bash SE and Oktoberfest. Already own a Houdini so I'm rooting for Oktoberfest but I was really hoping they would up their game in the animation department. Also worried about the difficulty of hitting the ramps. I played Oktoberfest for an hour and I don't think I got up a ramp once. I'm leaning heavily towards MB with the new screen and improved, colored dots is way cool and it's a joy to play.

#3221 4 years ago

I’ll note that we’re still improving animations in Oktoberfest. Players will see some nice improvements in the upcoming code update (or visit SFGE this weekend where beta code should be on display).

#3222 4 years ago

That's good to know Ferret. I'll withhold my purchase decision until I get a chance to hop back on Oktoberfest. I wish there was one local for me to play. I had to travel to Texas to play it the first time.

#3223 4 years ago

Big improvements in the last code release. I am anxious to see what else you have, especially in the area of adult humor.

#3224 4 years ago

After one week on route I can already tell that AP accomplished the mission in terms of creating a deep rule set inside of a game that appeals to non-pinball players. People gravitate to this machine.

#3225 4 years ago
Quoted from konjurer:

Also worried about the difficulty of hitting the ramps. I played Oktoberfest for an hour and I don't think I got up a ramp once. I'm leaning heavily towards MB with the new screen and improved, colored dots is way cool and it's a joy to play.

You can adjust the flipper strength to whatever you want - not surprised the operator didn’t do it. I increased the lower flippers on mine about 6 units and upper one 4 units. I agree that MB remake is solid, but it’s not all that deep. Seems like whatever decision you make will be a good one

#3226 4 years ago

The center of the play field is dark on Octoberfest. On my Houdini the two spot lights facing the middle really help. Any ideas or mods out there to fix it other than getting pinstadium kit?

Also why is there not a stein to make getting the ramp down easier? I'm a decent player and have not been able to lock 3 balls up top of the coaster yet. Or at least a setting to make it easier to drop the ramp to lock balls.

#3227 4 years ago
Quoted from dannunz:

The center of the play field is dark on Octoberfest. On my Houdini the two spot lights facing the middle really help. Any ideas or mods out there to fix it other than getting pinstadium kit?
Also why is there not a stein to make getting the ramp down easier? I'm a decent player and have not been able to lock 3 balls up top of the coaster yet. Or at least a setting to make it easier to drop the ramp to lock balls.

is your fest leveled right........i locked all balls on coaster .....more power on flipper coils

#3228 4 years ago

New beta code main screen animations are big improvement. We have been playing at the ATL and having a blast.

Also seminar Kuglar and I did showcased some upcoming non-family friendly call outs that even had me blushing hahaha

We have two used machines opened at the show that are available if anyone is interested (Flip N Out Pinball)

#3229 4 years ago
Quoted from ZMeny:

New beta code main screen animations are big improvement. We have been playing at the ATL and having a blast.
Also seminar Kuglar and I did showcased some upcoming non-family friendly call outs that even had me blushing hahaha
We have two used machines opened at the show that are available if anyone is interested (Flip N Out Pinball)

i was there great seminar.............

#3230 4 years ago
Quoted from gmanrulz46:

is your fest leveled right........i locked all balls on coaster .....more power on flipper coils

Getting the ball up there is not the problem. Getting the ramp down is my problem.

#3231 4 years ago
Quoted from dannunz:

gmanrulz46 dannunz

Collect the "easier to collect Oktoberfest stein", it makes a huge difference in how fast that ramp will drop.

#3232 4 years ago
Quoted from TODD969:

gmanrulz46
Collect the "easier to collect Oktoberfest stein", it makes a huge difference in how fast that ramp will drop.

Ok thank you. Any ideas on more light?

#3233 4 years ago
Quoted from dannunz:

Ok thank you. Any ideas on more light?

I haven't experienced any playfield light issues likely because my room is moderately lit with dimmable LED's. The pin stadiums while pricey do look nice.

#3234 4 years ago
Quoted from gmanrulz46:

Big thanks for coming by! Wish I would have recorded it

#3235 4 years ago
Quoted from dannunz:

Also why is there not a stein to make getting the ramp down easier?

The Sloshed Rosh Lager stein makes it easier to complete the OKTOBER FEST letters, which is what lowers the left ramp for Corkscrew locks. (Completing either OKTOBER or FEST qualifies 1 lock; completing the other bank qualifies locks 2 and 3.)

It's probably not obvious what this stein actually does: if you hit a target that's already lit, it will try to spot you a target 1 to the left or 1 to the right of the target you hit. And since ALL steins can be stacked: if you have two of this stein, it will try to spot you a target 1 or 2 to the left or 1 or 2 to the right of the target you hit... and so on. Yes, this means if you have three of this stein, you could spell OKTOBER just by shooting the middle O over and over.

#3236 4 years ago
Quoted from dannunz:

Any ideas on more light?

I added 6 spots to mine (2 on each lower slingshot and 2 near upper flipper.) Also added pinstadium.

For flipper area, I used a warm white led strip. Looks great now.

#3237 4 years ago
Quoted from gmanrulz46:

Glad you enjoyed it. I want to thank Zach for doing it with me. I think that made for a better format then me just talking. And certainly was fun during “family friendly or NOT family friendly” to see his reaction on some of the voice calls.

I believe Zach will be taking orders for t-shirts with his new favorite Inga line from Oktoberfest “whip out your duck and let’s race”

#3238 4 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

Glad you enjoyed it. I want to thank Zach for doing it with me. I think that made for a better format then me just talking. And certainly was fun during “family friendly or NOT family friendly” to see his reaction on some of the voice calls.
I believe Zach will be taking orders for t-shirts with his new favorite Inga line from Oktoberfest “whip out your duck and let’s race”

That shirt needs to be made haha.

#3239 4 years ago
Quoted from gmanrulz46:

Did anyone stream it?

#3240 4 years ago

I added 6 spots to mine (2 on each lower slingshot and 2 near upper flipper.) Also added pinstadium.
For flipper area, I used a warm white led strip. Looks great now.

Why didn’t they add spots from the factory like they did on Hudini?

#3241 4 years ago
Quoted from dannunz:

Why didn’t they add spots from the factory like they did on Hudini?

Houdini worked because they looked like stage lights - fit the theme. On Oktoberfest they decided to instead have all RGB lighting for GI, which looks really good, and again fits the festival theme. Honestly, at least there’s a light strip in the back from the factory. Stern pins have even worse lighting. Besides, spot lights and led strips are fairly cheap, and it’s fun to light up areas yourself.

#3242 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Did anyone stream it?

Unfortunately they don’t steam the seminars at SFGE. So the three dozen or so folks who were there will be the only ones with this great memory.

On Oktoberfest they decided to instead have all RGB lighting for GI, which looks really good, and again fits the festival theme.

I fought hard to get RGB GI, and Ferret has led our efforts to use it to create “atmosphere” during all the modes, with a diferrent feel for the different types of Oktoberfest activities. Spotlights toward the front of the game would really lessen that effect. I’ll give some thought to how “spots” might be better implemented given what “resources” might be available in the machine and if that is something we can offer as an add-on.

#3243 4 years ago
Quoted from ZMeny:

That shirt needs to be made haha.

I would do but I am sure I would be looking for work shortly afterwards

#3244 4 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

Unfortunately they don’t steam the seminars at SFGE. So the three dozen or so folks who were there will be the only ones with this great memory.

I fought hard to get RGB GI, and Ferret has led our efforts to use it to create “atmosphere” during all the modes, with a diferrent feel for the different types of Oktoberfest activities. Spotlights toward the front of the game would really lessen that effect. I’ll give some thought to how “spots” might be better implemented given what “resources” might be available in the machine and if that is something we can offer as an add-on.

Is there an adjustment to crank up the brightness of the GI? This would help. It seems quite dim now. I see an adjustment for the back panel light but not the GI am I missing it?

#3245 4 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

Why not have AP record it, so it can be posted later? Seems like a lot of effort for the handful of people in that room when the internet at large would be interested, too.

#3246 4 years ago
Quoted from dannunz:

Thinking outside the box here, would covering up part of the LED strip above the TAP Lanes make the center of the playfield seem less dark? Just a thought. In my game I felt that the LED strip back there was so bright it washed out the TAP lane inserts as well as the Playfield X inserts really bad. So I covered parts of the LED strip (so just the Corkscrew Queue is highlighted). Very happy with the lighting now, except I think I'd like a spotlight on the bartender whenever he's active.

Regarding the difficulty of lowering the Corkscrew Ramp, as others have said, shoot the OKTOBER FEST target banks. Make sure those switches are properly adjusted, and aim for them if you want the ramp to come down. Feels about right to me.

#3247 4 years ago
Quoted from Paul_from_Gilroy:

In my game I felt that the LED strip back there was so bright it washed out the TAP lane inserts as well as the Playfield X inserts really bad. So I covered parts of the LED strip

FYI, the brightness of the backbox LED strip can be adjusted in software: Settings > Standard > Backpanel Brightness.

#3248 4 years ago

I’ve been enjoying the Oktoberfest at our local barcade. It’s a fun layout and is bright and colorful. Just need more time on the game since I’m not the best player.

#3249 4 years ago

I plan on buying pinstadium for mine after saving up. The playfield is very dark in front of the barrel and all the great artwork cant be seen. Thats the only way I see illuminating it evenly. I also plan to scroll animate them down the strip with yellow and white like a beer being poured during certain hits.

#3250 4 years ago

my favorite moment from the seminar was when my brothers friend walked out and texted him come on lets go and my brother replied also in text F U you FN A HOLE. classic!!!!!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
RavSpec

$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

Machine - For Sale
Queen Creek, AZ
$ 7,899.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 11.99
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 8,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 39.99
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

$ 7,795.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 129.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

8,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dixon, CA
$ 7,795.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 140.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

There are 4,992 posts in this topic. You are on page 65 of 100.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/joe-balcer-confirms-oktoberfest-as-american-pinbals-next-pin/page/65?hl=konjurer and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.