(Topic ID: 224963)

Joe Balcer confirms Oktoberfest as American Pinball's next pin.

By PismoArcade

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 4,992 posts
  • 466 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Ferret
  • Topic is favorited by 79 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

8880f5e6998fb0663ff4a9a77f40c92eb6c125f2 (resized).png
okt (resized).jpg
59547925-ED73-4D13-9C0B-C0B4DB7F1F2C (resized).jpeg
20210418_173000 (resized).jpg
IMG_8199 (resized).jpg
20211127_232248 (resized).jpg
BLKFRIDAY2021 (1) (resized).png
16341706819071145026220657450351 (resized).jpg
AAAABWnlUYQGnwPYrDFi3t2ZJg8xDmhdqB2hGmDLTPnpLg4SjPq15X8P8IAl66bSXZXeQjCVgv9i_WrsIbMEvcUa9pH863X- (resized).jpg
20211006_190939 (resized).jpg
47cc5c7a51600f42dccc5022b9550eca8025c861 (resized).jpg
IMG_7361 (resized).jpg
IMG_7362 (resized).jpg
Okt upgraded coil stop - blue = new (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
20210620_160449 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 4,992 posts in this topic. You are on page 55 of 100.
#2701 5 years ago

Anyone know if Oktoberfest is going to be at VFW in a couple of weeks?

#2702 5 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

well, I am pretty confident if made it just about beer, this thread would have hundreds and hundreds of posts complaining about how it is not remotely close to being reflective of Oktoberfest. Especially our German friends. And even with us being as true to it as we could, I've had folks come up to me to point out things that were not quite accurate.
To be honest the game would have also been a lot less interesting to develop and probably a lot less interesting to play, and suspect the sales would have been less as well.

as you know someone will always complain about something! given that the vast majority of potential buyers have probably not been to Oktoberfest in Germany if the worst complaints you get are that "it is not reflective of Oktoberfest " that would be a bad thing?

#2703 5 years ago
Quoted from Paul_from_Gilroy:

According to some of the logic here, the classic arcade game Tapper should have been an epic failure (except in bars). I mean how could they possibly succeed? Besides Budweiser beer (and later on, root beer), they had aliens, cowboys and punk rocker characters.

IF ONLY Oktoberfest took its inspiration from Tapper! At the time it stood out for its detailed and appealing character design and funny animation!

#2704 5 years ago

I have heard a few people complain about the game being sort of slow. I agree but it doesn't bother me at all because I like video games etc. However if there was a way to make the code so it is "optional"to have Otto and the tents select randomly for you to pick up the pace it would be cool! This would appeal to the steve Ritchie fans,add another variable for home owners to change things up, and I can see this fun in the adult version where perhaps Otto is drunk while making the selections.

#2705 5 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

well, I am pretty confident if made it just about beer, this thread would have hundreds and hundreds of posts complaining about how it is not remotely close to being reflective of Oktoberfest. Especially our German friends. And even with us being as true to it as we could, I've had folks come up to me to point out things that were not quite accurate.
To be honest the game would have also been a lot less interesting to develop and probably a lot less interesting to play, and suspect the sales would have been less as well.

You'll never please everybody, our expectations are driven by our misconceptions.

It's funny that people complain about this game that tries to be more accurate to it's real life theme when they really don't know what it is about. Do people complain about fantasy and si-fi themes? Take BKSOR, Are people complaining about hydras and sand worms not being realistic? I wouldn't know since I don't follow that thread. A movie or TV theme has lots of film footage and characters to incorporate. A real life them might be much harder to develop.

Learning about the real Oktoberfest has been fun and interesting

#2706 5 years ago
Quoted from Viggin900:

However if there was a way to make the code so it is "optional"to have Otto and the tents select randomly for you to pick up the pace it would be cool!

I’ve thought about this, and can certainly add an adjustment for this if there’s demand. Meanwhile, in non-tournament mode both stein select and tent select tend to default to semi-random things you haven’t chosen already in the game, so... just close your eyes and double-flip to basically get the effect you describe.

#2707 5 years ago
Quoted from Ferret:

I’ve thought about this, and can certainly add an adjustment for this if there’s demand. Meanwhile, in non-tournament mode both stein select and tent select tend to default to semi-random things you haven’t chosen already in the game, so... just close your eyes and double-flip to basically get the effect you describe.

Yes definitely do this!

#2708 5 years ago

Someone on YouTube commented about the music on Oktoberfest. He referenced this slot machine and it's music. Skip to 1 minute and 30 seconds. The voice acting sounds pretty solid as well.

#2709 5 years ago
Quoted from Swainer80:

Someone on YouTube commented about the music on Oktoberfest. He referenced this slot machine and it's music. Skip to 1 minute and 30 seconds. The voice acting sounds pretty solid as well.

This is supposed to be better than what's in the game already?

#2710 5 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

This is supposed to be better than what's in the game already?

I'm a huge fan of Oktoberfest, great theme, great layout, the tents, the steins for the rules, the locks, the ramps (especially the drop down ramp) and the magnets. It is obvious a lot of thought and effort were put into this game (unlike say, moving a bash toy and magnet around) In my opinion, ya nailed it. Its just the guitar and cymbals stand out so much. Perhaps going for a Rammstein type of German music? I dunno. For the main theme it feels heavy for a celebratory game like Oktoberfest. It would fit great for a hurry up mode but its just in your face (ears). Thankfully the music in the modes is perfect. Again major kudos for going for a theme like this, not many games have caught my attention like this one. Good work.

#2711 5 years ago

I will be at the Kalamazoo show April 26 and 27 with Oktoberfest, Houdini and some merch... Come say hi and take them for a spin.

Challenge me to a game and beat me for a prize.

#2712 5 years ago
Quoted from Ferret:

Please do! Maybe a dual option adjustment to turn one on and the other off? I don’t mind having to pick steins, that makes sense. But modes/tents really slow the game down, it seems like they would fit better as a traditional pinball related mode in that some other feature on the game drives what mode is lit (i.e. pops, slings, Ramps, or even flipper buttons like DI/LOTR).

And honestly, It should be like that by default. One of the biggest issues new players have with Pinball is making decisions. Let them figure out later that flipper buttons or switch hits can change their mode.

I’d also advise with not having tents be played til completion; One and done so to speak. Some of the best games dangle carrots for the player to get via modes; LOTR with gifts, IMDN with soul shards and tomb awards, TWD with multi kills and horde. Have players play for perks - playing modes over and over til their complete is a false sense of achievement.

#2713 5 years ago

Thanks for the feedback, folks. There’s already about a zillion adjustments in the game, so what’s a couple more?

#2714 5 years ago
Quoted from Ferret:

, so what’s a couple more?

More boobs!

#2715 5 years ago

how are the power supplies holding up under load?

#2716 5 years ago

I have had no power problems with mine in the two months I’ve had it. Electromechanical aspects of the machine have been rock solid.

#2717 5 years ago
Quoted from Ferret:

I have had no power problems with mine in the two months I’ve had it. Electromechanical aspects of the machine have been rock solid.

Does OF have the replacement supply for Houdini or something else?

#2718 5 years ago
Quoted from mcbPalisade:

Does OF have the replacement supply for Houdini or something else?

Are you in the market?

#2719 5 years ago
Quoted from greenhornet:

how are the power supplies holding up under load?

The power supply on Oktoberfest is totally different.

As a company we are re-examining everything and improving on it.

#2720 5 years ago

Any idea why the 2 of the 3 games had a crash at MGC? Is it just a code/software update that is needed?

#2721 5 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

Any idea why the games kept crashing at MGC? Is it just a code/software update that is needed?

I was in the booth all night Friday and a good chunk of the day on Saturday, and never saw a crash. I heard about one after I left, but have no other info on it.

We had all the games go down at one point, when someone from another company, 'accidentally', hit a breaker and powered them all down.

#2722 5 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

I was in the booth all night Friday and a good chunk of the day on Saturday, and never saw a crash. I heard about one after I left, but have no other info on it.
We had all the games go down at one point, when someone from another company, 'accidentally', hit a breaker and powered them all down.

I modified my post, I re-read it and it came off sounding like the games were just crashing left and right and that is NOT what happened.

I was in line at one point and 2 of the 3 games rebooted themselves at different times, about 1 minute apart.

#2723 5 years ago

I spent quite a lot of time on Oktoberfest and Houdini through out the weekend at MGC and didn't see any crashes

#2724 5 years ago
Quoted from Platypus:

I spent quite a lot of time on Oktoberfest and Houdini through out the weekend at MGC and didn't see any crashes

That's great but doesn't really answer my question. :p

#2725 5 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

I was in line at one point and 2 of the 3 games rebooted themselves at different times, about 1 minute apart.

Unfortunately I have no info on it, and no logs to review. Only issue I am aware of on that release that would cause a crash, is a bug when entering high scores, if you use the extra flipper button to move down a row, while on the letter W, it will crash. Hopefully if it occurs again we can get the log to see what happened.

#2726 5 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

Unfortunately I have no info on it, and no logs to review. Only issue I am aware of on that release that would cause a crash, is a bug when entering high scores, if you use the extra flipper button to move down a row, while on the letter W, it will crash. Hopefully if it occurs again we can get the log to see what happened.

Ah you know, now that you mention it, my wife reminded me that she thinks both crashes happened while people were entering names in. So that is sounding like a highly possible cause!

#2727 5 years ago

was anyone able to make the upper ramp shot on any of the MGC games?

I tried multiple times and have also been over to play the one on location in Madison 2x now. That upper flipper to ramp shot does not appear to have enough power. Is something going on with this? Still purposefully turned down since early games with 3d printed parts?

I really enjoy the layout and shooting of this game (its best feature), but not much fun with the current feel of the flippers.

#2728 5 years ago

It's a tougher shot but I made it once or twice.

#2729 5 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I tried multiple times and have also been over to play the one on location in Madison 2x now. That upper flipper to ramp shot does not appear to have enough power. Is something going on with this? Still purposefully turned down since early games with 3d printed parts?
I really enjoy the layout and shooting of this game (its best feature), but not much fun with the current feel of the flippers.

I played on a different machine (not at MGC) that had been powered on for some time but no one playing. All shots were very makeable for my first ~25 minutes. After that, upper flipper shot was far more difficult but I hit it once. Steep ramp was impossible. Would love to know if and how this has been fixed.

#2730 5 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I didn't play the games at MGC but I have no problems making that side ramp on the Blue Moon's game. I can make it about 80% when using a Mag nab and about 20% when on the fly. The thing you have to remember is that the shot is really late on the flipper and not where the sweet spot would typically be. It definitely takes a while to find the shot but once you do it becomes rather make able.

#2731 5 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

No, I could not for the life of me... lol

#2732 5 years ago
Quoted from SarcasticHorse:

I played on a different machine (not at MGC) that had been powered on for some time but no one playing. All shots were very makeable for my first ~25 minutes. After that, upper flipper shot was far more difficult but I hit it once. Steep ramp was impossible. Would love to know if and how this has been fixed.

that may be the case. When I played both at MGC and on route, the game had been played by others prior to me being there.

Quoted from MikeS:

I didn't play the games at MGC but I have no problems making that side ramp on the Blue Moon's game. I can make it about 80% when using a Mag nab and about 20% when on the fly. The thing you have to remember is that the shot is really late on the flipper and not where the sweet spot would typically be. It definitely takes a while to find the shot but once you do it becomes rather make able.

I found the sweet spot (just like baywatch but other side of game ) just steep ramp and not enough 'umph' when hitting it perfect.

#2733 5 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

that may be the case. When I played both at MGC and on route, the game had been played by others prior to me being there.

I found the sweet spot (just like baywatch but other side of game ) just steep ramp and not enough 'umph' when hitting it perfect.

My personal preference would be to make all of the flippers just a smidge stronger. All shots are makeable as is but as the game gets played more and gets dirtier they will get tougher to make. The side ramp reminds me a bit of Whirlwind in it's makeability. The game also needs a slightly stronger shooter spring as the current one is often too weak to collect a Stein off the skillshot

#2734 5 years ago
Quoted from Swainer80:

I'm a huge fan of Oktoberfest, great theme, great layout, the tents, the steins for the rules, the locks, the ramps (especially the drop down ramp) and the magnets. It is obvious a lot of thought and effort were put into this game (unlike say, moving a bash toy and magnet around) In my opinion, ya nailed it. Its just the guitar and cymbals stand out so much. Perhaps going for a Rammstein type of German music? I dunno. For the main theme it feels heavy for a celebratory game like Oktoberfest. It would fit great for a hurry up mode but its just in your face (ears). Thankfully the music in the modes is perfect. Again major kudos for going for a theme like this, not many games have caught my attention like this one. Good work.

I agree, I'm getting used to it watching all the streams online but its too prevalent. I say keep it but more limited to a mode or something. Everyone has there own taste but I like keeping to the theme. "We need more cowbell" the short spurts of it get muddled in and drowned out very quickly. I love that cowbell song at oktoberfest and would be great to last during the whole duck shot mode. Also there is no yodeling! That song from the Price is Right would be priceless for another tent mode.

#2735 5 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

At TPF there was so much 'umph' that several times I got a bounce back all the way from the top of the ramp back out. This sounds like a localized situation for you...

#2736 5 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

The game also needs a slightly stronger shooter spring as the current one is often too weak to collect a Stein off the skillshot

Palm it.. and it goes in nearly every time

#2737 5 years ago

I make the upper flipper shot consistently, whether a fast orbit (which can sometimes make it too strong) off the magnet or even just when the ball finds its way into the area, so a big part of it is getting the feel for the spot as it is low on the flipper. Personally, I prefer Gum Rubber vs the new stuff on that upper flipper, maybe just my imagination, but I think it shoots better. I think Ferret still has the new stuff, and he also has no issue hitting it. Again, takes a bit of practice to find the spot.

One of the issues at MGC, is that on Saturday Balcer adjusted things in the morning and he likes to set the flippers to be just strong enough to make the shots, and that can become problematic. I like to make them a little stronger then necessary. Whenever he goes to check the game at Level257/Pacman, I try to go out later that day or the next to turn them back up.

We are looking at some tweaks to improve flipper performance when under non-stop play

I will say that some locations jack up the back legs and the game will not play as well. Leg levelers should be all the way in, or only out a small amount, extending them all the way will create a variety of issues.

Quoted from MikeS:

The game also needs a slightly stronger shooter spring as the current one is often too weak to collect a Stein off the skillshot

I've never had this issue, so, wonder if the game is just set up too high or something else is going on. I know Balcer tried different strength springs, and not sure why he did not go stronger. Possibly it impacts the other skill shots. I'll share the feedback with him.

#2738 5 years ago

Josh - thanks for going on Kaneda to talk about The Fest. Highly enjoyable podcast. It does make me want to find one some to play. Sounds like there is a lot of innovative rules going on and a lot to explore in the game.

#2739 5 years ago

Josh great job on kaneda. The modes you described sound great. Excited to play this finally

#2741 5 years ago
Quoted from konjurer:

Josh - thanks for going on Kaneda to talk about The Fest. Highly enjoyable podcast. It does make me want to find one some to play. Sounds like there is a lot of innovative rules going on and a lot to explore in the game.

Hopefully I did not say too many dumb things, naturally I was sipping Tequila during it.

I think collaborating with Ferret has been hugely beneficial, as we both challenged and pushed each other to make it the best we can. We each have different ideas and we have been able to meld them together to create something that will be fun for novice, enthusiast and tournament player. We have tried to create a rule set that you can step up and have fun knowing very little, and at the same time there are multiple layers of strategy in the game relative to which steins to take when, when to take more than one of a stein, which tents to enter when, the accumulation of calories and ducks, when to use magnabs, etc.

Even though I know the rules inside and out, I find I am constantly changing the strategies I use at different points in the game or the state of the game. I also know there are certain strategic aspects of the game I'm not even really thinking about yet, that I should be. For example, I rarely keep tabs or focus on getting the playfield multiplier up during modes and multiballs, and using the magnabs to help do so (spell TAP at upper lanes to advance playfield multiplier). I tend to be lax in resetting the food stand timer to keep the uber food mode running longer so as to accumulate more calories (which increase jackpots value in multiballs) and I am surprisingly bad at being sure I have a mode running before starting corkscrew multiball (let alone choosing the right mode), I get that second lock and just can't wait to shoot the ramp again for the third, and considering the scoop is right next to the ramp, so really no excuse for it.

#2742 5 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

Hopefully I did not say too many dumb things, naturally I was sipping Tequila during it.

Please never do that again lol. Constant mouth noises during podcast = ear hell.

#2743 5 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

I will say that some locations jack up the back legs and the game will not play as well. Leg levelers should be all the way in, or only out a small amount, extending them all the way will create a variety of issues.

Back legs all the way in the best setup for this game? That's a first for me but I'm getting mine this week and want it to play its best!

#2744 5 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Back legs all the way in the best setup for this game? That's a first for me but I'm getting mine this week and want it to play its best!

Joe Balcer designed Houdini and now I believe Oktoberfest to have game out of box with leg levelers all the way up, nut touching leg. Should be right on paperwork when you open box.

#2745 5 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Please never do that again lol. Constant mouth noises during podcast = ear hell.

Unless it's a live podcast, that kind of crap should be edited out before posting to be halfway professional.

#2746 5 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Joe Balcer designed Houdini and now I believe Oktoberfest to have game out of box with leg levelers all the way up, nut touching leg. Should be right on paperwork when you open box.

unless your floor isn't level. Adjust as needed.

#2747 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Unless it's a live podcast, that kind of crap should be edited out before posting to be halfway professional.

You and Rare...Lol

#2748 5 years ago
Quoted from Platypus:

unless your floor isn't level. Adjust as needed.

True, check your pitch.
All the way up is the starting point.

#2749 5 years ago

I concur. Levelers should be all the way in from the factory, stick with that, and only tweak as needed for left/right leveling. On mine it plays at a nice speed overall and all ramps are reasonable to make.

#2750 4 years ago

Are these being shipped now ?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
8,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dixon, CA
Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

$ 7,795.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 129.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 140.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 7,899.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Playfield - Other
RavSpec

$ 39.99
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

$ 8,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

6,100 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Queen Creek, AZ
$ 7,795.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 11.99
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

There are 4,992 posts in this topic. You are on page 55 of 100.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/joe-balcer-confirms-oktoberfest-as-american-pinbals-next-pin/page/55?hl=barryj and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.