(Topic ID: 224963)

Joe Balcer confirms Oktoberfest as American Pinball's next pin.

By PismoArcade

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 4,992 posts
  • 466 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Ferret
  • Topic is favorited by 79 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

8880f5e6998fb0663ff4a9a77f40c92eb6c125f2 (resized).png
okt (resized).jpg
59547925-ED73-4D13-9C0B-C0B4DB7F1F2C (resized).jpeg
20210418_173000 (resized).jpg
IMG_8199 (resized).jpg
20211127_232248 (resized).jpg
BLKFRIDAY2021 (1) (resized).png
16341706819071145026220657450351 (resized).jpg
AAAABWnlUYQGnwPYrDFi3t2ZJg8xDmhdqB2hGmDLTPnpLg4SjPq15X8P8IAl66bSXZXeQjCVgv9i_WrsIbMEvcUa9pH863X- (resized).jpg
20211006_190939 (resized).jpg
47cc5c7a51600f42dccc5022b9550eca8025c861 (resized).jpg
IMG_7361 (resized).jpg
IMG_7362 (resized).jpg
Okt upgraded coil stop - blue = new (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
20210620_160449 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 4,992 posts in this topic. You are on page 54 of 100.
#2651 5 years ago

Root issue with a theme like this: Anyone can go buy beer or attend a festival. Playing a pin is not as much fun as going to a festival.

Almost none of us can visit a magical chocolate factory, quest to beat the Black Knight or explore a nightmare castle. Likewise, flipping a pin is much safer than those activities.

If a theme is set in the real world then it needs to be a power fantasy. You're a famous rock band, or you're saving a city from disasters either as a super hero or with your cell phone and mom jeans.

#2652 5 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I can’t even respond to the Alien comments. I don’t have time to write a book BUT it is coming back out as PB brothers picked up the license again and has been reworked with mechs, etc and will be all Bally parts and cab
It is a phenomenally immersive pin, with great code and totally COMPLETE other than how they over engineered it
My AlienLE plays flawless though. Best sound and video on a pinball machine and it’s not even close
Thank you David Thiel!

If they reissue Alien, please let it be with a normal cabinet. That heighway cab bugged the shit out of me

#2653 5 years ago
Quoted from drfrightner:

Octoberfest: review
This is the most honest review of the game you'll ever get. American Pinball is not going to stay in business if they keep making this odd ball themes because in a pincade, 90% of the players like Ghostbusters, a game here most people hate. People are drawn into the theme, not the features most of the time. A good exception is Dialed In, that game makes money, because from the naked eye its looks like a normal pinball game, but it looks like so much more fun!!!
Octoberfest is the most confusing theme I've ever seen... at first glance it looks like a BEER theme, but no wait its a carnival, its a party, no wait its I have no clue. Who would drink beer and ride a roller coaster? If you're trying to make a BEER themed pinball game, then make it an all out assault on BEER, make the topper something that holds a keg, with lines inside the machine so you can POUR a drink while playing. Make it a game every single bar and man cave would want, and market the game that way.
This is a game I'm thinking might sell 100 to 150 copies because of the theme itself. Now I'm hearing they will consider Robin Hood, NO WAY no ONE wants to play Robin Hood. American Pinball has shown the ability to produce a really beautiful game, they need to re-focus here on CHEAPER licenses like Halloween, Friday the 13th, Bill and Ted, something along those lines, a cheaper license so when they announce 750 copies not a copy more BOOM they sell out in 10 minutes.
How do you market Octoberfest, not to mention you're playing the game in April. Bad name, bad theme, and I think an overall financial disaster. The playfield is a cluttered mess while the game and all the mechs are fun, unique and different.
Now the good... they learned from Houdini, they made a game that is a lot of fun here. If they could step up the CGI graphics, license something interesting, these guys could be real players. These guys have the potential for a breakout but they need some better advice. Whomever is giving these guys advice isn't thinking for the hear and now or the long term.
I don't want to pay 7400 bucks for a confusing theme, a game that won't be collectable long term, just because the game is FUN, INTERESTING, DIFFERENT, because long term all games get boring. People buy and sell these games long term based on the theme.
The game is fun, its different, love what they did with the rails, just overall I think its the second best new game created this year... behind Wonka.
So yeah I think honestly its one of the most original and fun games probably released in several years, but the theme is terrible. Buy today for 7400 and 1 year from now sell for 5800.
I was tempted to buy one, because the game really is that much fun to play, but like all pinballs after a while you get bored of it... then you fall back on the THEME to find a buyer.
American Pinball could be the next BIG PLAYER but they will need to start looking at themes they could produce 500 to 1000 copies not games that might sell 200 copies. I think Octoberfest is a wasted game because at the box office its not going to produce a profit.
With all that being said Octoberfest won't ever sell itself, they will need to show the game to sell any, and most games usually just sell themselves.
American Pinball created one of the most fun games, I've ever seen, but the theme is going to kill them long term. Just my opinion.
I would say at this point American Pinball need to turn the corner, license something that appeals to 500 to 1000 buyers, take what they've learned from these first two games, and go after this industry. Because despite everything I said I think these guys have the most potential for a breakout.
One thing all companies need to understand is you must learn from your competition, and how many original themes have survived? How many times has Stern done an original theme? Jersey Jack a new company has made 5 games, with two more coming... 1 original theme 6 licensed.
Stern like everything is licensed but the new Black Knight.
Alien a company that failed, but people are paying 10k to get that game, not because the game because honestly the game is average its the theme.
American Pinball has the potential for a massive breakout but man they have to license something.

Idk, I just love the theme, I really do. But if the animation is as bad as advertised, and shots are absurdly difficult and the game is slow, I will probably be out. Hoping to play it soon.

#2654 5 years ago
Quoted from drfrightner:

We would disagree, they missed on a lot of stuff. The main Alien head is badly sculpted, a pinball shooter coming out of his mouth with a magnet on the end looks ridiculous. No attempt to add toys to add to the theme such as a couple aliens on the grids, or ripley in her robot mech, there was several opportunities missed there.
The game plays kind of clunky, shooting the ball is pointless.
I do however like the way they incorporated the movie assets, I like the screen in the playfield, I like the side art of the game showing the logo, there are things to like and things not to like.
The game to me seems like we're going for the GOLF but just ran out of money.
I like effort but not the final product.
Alien to me can be drastically improved if someone decided to pick up that license.

The game plays kind of clunky - shooting the ball is pointless?

Wow

#2655 5 years ago
Quoted from mthirkell:

No one is debating whether sugar-coating is needed.

there is no debate. sugar-coating is mandatory.

snowflakes03 (resized).jpgsnowflakes03 (resized).jpg
#2656 5 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Funny how opinions vary. I was expecting the worst on the animations after following this thread but walked away neutral at the moment. They could easily be cleaned up a bit but the material in general was fine for me.

And this gets back to my point about A/V pros coming on here and describing them as a disaster, when in reality, 1. They dont matter to the player playing and 2. The pros have a more critical eye, whereas the general player cares less.. Also cheaper than JJP, so what do you expect!

#2657 5 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

.. Also cheaper than JJP, so what do you expect!

That extra $100 sure goes a long way though.

#2658 5 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Ayce will probably get it...I can't imagine anyone here is buying it for their home, though.

If it was wine or coke themed tho!

#2659 5 years ago
Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

If they reissue Alien, please let it be with a normal cabinet. That heighway cab bugged the shit out of me

It will be, standard Bally cab. I agree

#2660 5 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Root issue with a theme like this: Anyone can go buy beer or attend a festival. Playing a pin is not as much fun as going to a festival.
Almost none of us can visit a magical chocolate factory, quest to beat the Black Knight or explore a nightmare castle. Likewise, flipping a pin is much safer than those activities.
If a theme is set in the real world then it needs to be a power fantasy. You're a famous rock band, or you're saving a city from disasters either as a super hero or with your cell phone and mom jeans.

You are joking right? LOL

#2661 5 years ago
Quoted from pipes:

Which JJP pin is only $100 more?

#2662 5 years ago
Quoted from pipes:

Does it? PoTC has some stunning vid assets, yet its being stopped short of production goals. Guess that hunddy should have gone to a reliable working game.

#2663 5 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

Which JJP pin is only $100 more?

Wonka SE is $7500

#2664 5 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

Does it? PoTC has some stunning vid assets, yet its being stopped short of production goals. Guess that hunddy should have gone to a reliable working game.

Even so, I doubt Oktoberfest sales will outnumber that of JJPOTC.

#2665 5 years ago
Quoted from pipes:

Wonka SE is $7500

Oh, so a game , a great game, that is how many years old. Funny, no other JJP game is that cheap. Great answer, but lets talk modern pricing. Soo, which game again?

#2666 5 years ago

Let's see who would possibly want to put an Oktoberfest game in their location - how about all the breweries that have popped up all over the place the last 5 years or so (longer in Portland and some other places)?? If you don't understand that Oktoberfest is about a lot more than beer that's fine, but I think most people can at least recognize / relate to the them when they'd see it in a lineup.

#2667 5 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

Let's see who would possibly want to put an Oktoberfest game in their location - how about all the breweries that have popped up all over the place the last 5 years or so (longer in Portland and some other places)?? If you don't understand that Oktoberfest is about a lot more than beer that's fine, but I think most people can at least recognize / relate to the them when they'd see it in a lineup.

It will kill it on location. The dopey elitists are clueless as usual!

#2668 5 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

It will kill it on location. The dopey elitists are clueless as usual!

I agree that it's an easy sell and people would eat it up (initially). People are underrating the theme's appeal BIG time.

The problem is will they keep coming back.

#2669 5 years ago

"Who would drink beer and ride a roller coaster?" You are looking at him. . . It is just with the long lines you will have to pee like a mother f**er when you finally get to ride it. I suppose the challenge is not to pee yourself when riding.

"That extra $100 sure goes a long way though." Yeah with a virtual lock (no wonka-vator) to boot. That'll cost you another 2 grand if you want it.

Oktoberfest's layout is very good, full color RBG's all all the way around with a theme park and beer. What is not to like? My only nit picks are the damn rock music (gotta try to appeal to all those guys who buy those rock themed games), video execution a little weak and not a fan of the call out voices (find some real Germans with thicker accents). It is a loaded machine layout wise it just doesn't have the polish of JJP's. It reminds me of Data East vs B/W honestly. Fun to play none the less and is on my short list. But that rock music . . . If you go with a theme, own it and dive head first. Splitting the difference just doesn't do the theme justice.

#2670 5 years ago

Oktoberfest is the perfect game for a bar or barcade. As a theme, I think it has broad appeal. There are certainly a lot of people that just don't get it as a theme. However there are a lot of people that would walk into a bar and connect with it more than a Marvel super hero game. I think the carnival game aspect is also very clever. Non-pinheads will have fun with those mini games like duck hunting and beer chugging.

It's also a great man-cave theme. I think people in pinside think they are the only ones buying pinball machines. For someone looking for something fun to put in their mancave then Oktoberfest is a great theme. I would also dispel the idea that because it didn't ship in October that API has somehow missed it's sales window. I cringe at the stupidity of comments like that.

What I will say is that if API is going to do original themes then the overall look and feel of the art and animation package better improve. You're trying to sell people on your original IP and the concept realized better knock it out of the park.

#2671 5 years ago

Theme is unusual, but I think the gameplay will make this a grower. Like others have said, it will be a great fit in a lot of brew pubs. Played on couple machines at MGC, interesting how different they were. One machine was easy to play, the other was unforgiving. Maybe some setting with the magnets, maybe unforgiving one was older- don’t know. The easy one was great. Real fun to play. Sound wasn’t awesome, voice talent just ok but shouldn’t be a dealbreaker. In this age of cultural sensitivity, they probably had to keep it tame. The animations, stills need reworking. They are lacking and take away from the sharpness of the rest of the pin. The frequent crowd scene in particular that is unfocused is a huge miss. After playing the new three, this is the only one I would probably put a few bucks into at the bar.

#2672 5 years ago
Quoted from konjurer:

Oktoberfest is the perfect game for a bar or barcade. As a theme, I think it has broad appeal. There are certainly a lot of people that just don't get it as a theme. However there are a lot of people that would walk into a bar and connect with it more than a Marvel super hero game. I think the carnival game aspect is also very clever. Non-pinheads will have fun with those mini games like duck hunting and beer chugging.

It's also a great man-cave theme. I think people in pinside think they are the only ones buying pinball machines. For someone looking for something fun to put in their mancave then Oktoberfest is a great theme. I would also dispel the idea that because it didn't ship in October that API has somehow missed it's sales window. I cringe at the stupidity of comments like that.

I'm with you. All of the above.

The typical "pinhead" won't get it initially.

#2673 5 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

Oh, so a game , a great game, that is how many years old. Funny, no other JJP game is that cheap. Great answer, but lets talk modern pricing. Soo, which game again?

I can’t figure out what the heck you’re trying to say here.
What’s more modern than pricing for a game that was revealed a few days ago? You asked for a game and I gave it to you. What’s the issue?

#2674 5 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

#2675 5 years ago
Quoted from drfrightner:

Octoberfest is the most confusing theme I've ever seen... at first glance it looks like a BEER theme, but no wait its a carnival, its a party, no wait its I have no clue. Who would drink beer and ride a roller coaster?

Ummmm... the theme is Oktoberfest. Of course that includes beer, and there's plenty of beer in the game, but it's so much more than that. Yes, rides, games, partying, food, music.

This is Oktoberfest: <

(Simply the first hit I got searching YouTube for "Oktoberfest"; feel free to browse the infinite stream of results.) Believe it or not, it's not just oompah music... for whatever weird reason, "Sweet Caroline" is a super popular song there. So are many other pop, rock, and even country songs, both German and American. And keep watching to 8:24 or so to see what kind of carnival it really is.

Really, we didn't just make up a bunch of stuff out of thin air to fill the game. We tried to be faithful to the theme. Even the ducks are absolutely an Oktoberfest tradition.

The original Oktoberfest in Munich Germany is 200 years old and pulls in several million people each year. There are hundreds if not thousands of derivative festivals around the world each year. It's all pretty damn popular and fun.

#2676 5 years ago
Quoted from drfrightner:

the game and all the mechs are fun, unique and different.

Quoted from drfrightner:

Now the good... they learned from Houdini, they made a game that is a lot of fun here.

Quoted from drfrightner:

The game is fun, its different, love what they did with the rails

Quoted from drfrightner:

So yeah I think honestly its one of the most original and fun games probably released in several years

Quoted from drfrightner:

I was tempted to buy one, because the game really is that much fun to play

Quoted from drfrightner:

American Pinball created one of the most fun games, I've ever seen

BTW, I was negligent in my previous post... thank you very much for these kind comments. That's some of the best praise I can imagine from a single post, especially a post that was kind of down on the game, LOL. We trust that lots of people will have an absolute blast playing the game like you did, and also enjoy the world that the game evokes, whether that's the original Bavarian Oktoberfest, or any of its many offshoots, or simply beer and midway games and amusement parks/festivals and having a great time.

#2677 5 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Have you played Scorpion! Nothing beats the epic quest of a laser boat fighting a hydra…and it is called Scorpion!

#2678 5 years ago
Quoted from drfrightner:

Octoberfest: review
This is the most honest review of the game you'll ever get. American Pinball is not going to stay in business if they keep making this odd ball themes because in a pincade, 90% of the players like Ghostbusters, a game here most people hate. People are drawn into the theme, not the features most of the time. A good exception is Dialed In, that game makes money, because from the naked eye its looks like a normal pinball game, but it looks like so much more fun!!!
Octoberfest is the most confusing theme I've ever seen... at first glance it looks like a BEER theme, but no wait its a carnival, its a party, no wait its I have no clue. Who would drink beer and ride a roller coaster? If you're trying to make a BEER themed pinball game, then make it an all out assault on BEER, make the topper something that holds a keg, with lines inside the machine so you can POUR a drink while playing. Make it a game every single bar and man cave would want, and market the game that way.
This is a game I'm thinking might sell 100 to 150 copies because of the theme itself. Now I'm hearing they will consider Robin Hood, NO WAY no ONE wants to play Robin Hood. American Pinball has shown the ability to produce a really beautiful game, they need to re-focus here on CHEAPER licenses like Halloween, Friday the 13th, Bill and Ted, something along those lines, a cheaper license so when they announce 750 copies not a copy more BOOM they sell out in 10 minutes.
How do you market Octoberfest, not to mention you're playing the game in April. Bad name, bad theme, and I think an overall financial disaster. The playfield is a cluttered mess while the game and all the mechs are fun, unique and different.
Now the good... they learned from Houdini, they made a game that is a lot of fun here. If they could step up the CGI graphics, license something interesting, these guys could be real players. These guys have the potential for a breakout but they need some better advice. Whomever is giving these guys advice isn't thinking for the hear and now or the long term.
I don't want to pay 7400 bucks for a confusing theme, a game that won't be collectable long term, just because the game is FUN, INTERESTING, DIFFERENT, because long term all games get boring. People buy and sell these games long term based on the theme.
The game is fun, its different, love what they did with the rails, just overall I think its the second best new game created this year... behind Wonka.
So yeah I think honestly its one of the most original and fun games probably released in several years, but the theme is terrible. Buy today for 7400 and 1 year from now sell for 5800.
I was tempted to buy one, because the game really is that much fun to play, but like all pinballs after a while you get bored of it... then you fall back on the THEME to find a buyer.
American Pinball could be the next BIG PLAYER but they will need to start looking at themes they could produce 500 to 1000 copies not games that might sell 200 copies. I think Octoberfest is a wasted game because at the box office its not going to produce a profit.
With all that being said Octoberfest won't ever sell itself, they will need to show the game to sell any, and most games usually just sell themselves.
American Pinball created one of the most fun games, I've ever seen, but the theme is going to kill them long term. Just my opinion.
I would say at this point American Pinball need to turn the corner, license something that appeals to 500 to 1000 buyers, take what they've learned from these first two games, and go after this industry. Because despite everything I said I think these guys have the most potential for a breakout.
One thing all companies need to understand is you must learn from your competition, and how many original themes have survived? How many times has Stern done an original theme? Jersey Jack a new company has made 5 games, with two more coming... 1 original theme 6 licensed.
Stern like everything is licensed but the new Black Knight.
Alien a company that failed, but people are paying 10k to get that game, not because the game because honestly the game is average its the theme.
American Pinball has the potential for a massive breakout but man they have to license something.

I would never dare to shit on an opinion but I will critique your writing.

As someone who has yet to see the game, I appreciate the time you invested in writing this review. However, I would recommend that you work on sentence structure and topic orientation. I found this extremely hard to follow.

#2679 5 years ago
Quoted from Ferret:

Ummmm... the theme is Oktoberfest. Of course that includes beer, and there's plenty of beer in the game, but it's so much more than that. Yes, rides, games, partying, food, music.
This is Oktoberfest: &lt; (Simply the first hit I got searching YouTube for "Oktoberfest"; feel free to browse the infinite stream of results.) Believe it or not, it's not just oompah music... for whatever weird reason, "Sweet Caroline" is a super popular song there. So are many other pop, rock, and even country songs, both German and American. And keep watching to 8:24 or so to see what kind of carnival it really is.
Really, we didn't just make up a bunch of stuff out of thin air to fill the game. We tried to be faithful to the theme. Even the ducks are absolutely an Oktoberfest tradition.
The original Oktoberfest in Munich Germany is 200 years old and pulls in several million people each year. There are hundreds if not thousands of derivative festivals around the world each year. It's all pretty damn popular and fun.

As a past visitor of Oktoberfest and owner of lederhosen, I think you guys mostly nailed it. Obviously there will be some stylization for a game that strays from authenticity, but overall outside the tents is definitely a carnival vibe that is well represented in the game. There are no bars in the tents that I remember. In 2009 you had to be seated and served by a waitress to get beer in the tents. The other thing that could be improved are the addition of some of the more unique foods like steckerlfisch. And yes, other than Fliegerlied, the most popular songs are American. Nothing like a huge tent singing along to a brass band rendition of Country Roads.

#2680 5 years ago
Quoted from SarcasticHorse:

As a past visitor of Oktoberfest and owner of lederhosen, I think you guys mostly nailed it.

with both Houdini and Oktoberfest we have tried to be true to the subject matter, but, yes we will take some literary license. I don't think there are monkeys at Oktoberfest, but then again, would not shock me. And as you indicated and has Ferret posted, there is a lot more than polka and oompah music, I think that ties into the same preconception most of us have that it is just about Beer and beautiful woman.

It is funny how some can some adamant in their position around some aspects of the game, like the music, when in reality they are just totally wrong. Now I get that some would like the whole game to be polka and others would like it to be rock n roll, but we felt variety was both true to Oktoberfest and what would work best in a pinball machine, where you want to set different moods at different times.

#2681 5 years ago

I've got about 20 machines ranging from Big Bang Bar to Munsters to all the Playboys. There has never been a machine that my friends have been more excited about me getting than Oktoberfest. I've been to Oktoberfest in Munich and to many in the US. And as shown in that great video from @ferret, there is way more to Oktoberfest than drinking beer. It actually is one of the largest carnivals in the world.

So while some people don't get it, I do. And my normal, non pinball geek friends do. And my buddy that owns 2 hipster brew pubs (that make horrible IPAs, in my opinion) is going to add this as his first pinball machine to his places.

This machine is about a fun party, and kudos to AmericanPinball for nailing it. The tents..the carnival rides...they get it.

If there were just a few more boobs...

tony c

#2682 5 years ago
Quoted from acaciolo:

...So while some people don't get it, I do. ... This machine is about a fun party, and kudos to americanpinball for nailing it. The tents..the carnival rides...they get it.
If there were just a few more boobs...
tony c

Right on brother - this game is going to be a lot of fun to play.

Year round!

#2683 5 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

If people don't understand it's about a lot more than beer, then that's AP's fault with not correctly conveying the theme
same thing with JJP and DI not being a cell phone game

#2684 5 years ago

If people don't understand it's about a lot more than beer, then that's AP's fault with not correctly conveying the theme

I think you missed the point. Oktoberfest the event is about a lot more than beer; therefore, the Oktoberfest pinball game is about a lot more than beer. The complaint above argued that there was so much more than beer in the game and there shouldn't be.

#2685 5 years ago

TLDR - people unwilling to learn will cling onto stereotypes until they die... because learning or changing is hard.

It’s better to argue till their blue in the face then spend 10mins learning how what they thought they knew isn’t the full picture.

#2686 5 years ago

Yep, it's their fault for not putting some tents, balloons, a roller-coaster, bumper cars, etc. in the game.

#2687 5 years ago

I'm not sure a pinball machine is going to be able to educate a person that their preconceived notions of a festival, in a different country, are wrong.

#2688 5 years ago
Quoted from pipes:

I can’t figure out what the heck you’re trying to say here.
What’s more modern than pricing for a game that was revealed a few days ago? You asked for a game and I gave it to you. What’s the issue?

My apologies. I read WOZ SE, not Wonka SE. I stand corrected. Thanks.

#2689 5 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

with both Houdini and Oktoberfest we have tried to be true to the subject matter, but, yes we will take some literary license. I don't think there are monkeys at Oktoberfest, but then again, would not shock me. And as you indicated and has Ferret posted, there is a lot more than polka and oompah music, I think that ties into the same preconception most of us have that it is just about Beer and beautiful woman.
It is funny how some can some adamant in their position around some aspects of the game, like the music, when in reality they are just totally wrong. Now I get that some would like the whole game to be polka and others would like it to be rock n roll, but we felt variety was both true to Oktoberfest and what would work best in a pinball machine, where you want to set different moods at different times.

I would say it would have been better to take more literary license . I am not sure anyone feels that strongly that Oktoberfest the machine needs to adhere in any strict way to what is or isn't at the festival . it is a pinball machine not a documentary! , . It was ambitious to add the amusement park aspect to what could have been nice simple theme of otto and his beer hall during a certain time of year .

A nice coherent theme that would fit our preconceptions of Oktoberfest could have evolved around Otto and his beautiful 5 daughters all with different color hair ( for guidance see outstanding post by tuna with possible outfits above.) they have 5 pets (4 weiner dogs and ok a monkey), there is a broken cuckoo clock so no one shows up to work on time and you have a vast amount of material to construct varied modes etc. . throw in some fall foliage art work , put some wooden beer kegs, the cuckoo clock and some beer steins as toys on the playfield and it is done!

Being too literal seems like it detracts from the fun of the game- does anyone really care about calories while drinking giant steins of beer?

#2690 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballjj:

I would say it would have been better to take more literary license .

well, I am pretty confident if made it just about beer, this thread would have hundreds and hundreds of posts complaining about how it is not remotely close to being reflective of Oktoberfest. Especially our German friends. And even with us being as true to it as we could, I've had folks come up to me to point out things that were not quite accurate.

To be honest the game would have also been a lot less interesting to develop and probably a lot less interesting to play, and suspect the sales would have been less as well.

#2691 5 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

well, I am pretty confident if made it just about beer, this thread would have hundreds and hundreds of posts complaining about how it is not remotely close to being reflective of Oktoberfest. Especially our German friends. And even with us being as true to it as we could, I've had folks come up to me to point out things that were not quite accurate.
To be honest the game would have also been a lot less interesting to develop and probably a lot less interesting to play, and suspect the sales would have been less as well.

Absolutely agree 100%. I woudln't be buying it if it was just beer. That is kinda boring. And for the boobs...well, I already have an alternative backglass in the works like I did for bm66 https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nsfw-bm66-batman-alternate-translite-censored

#2692 5 years ago
Quoted from acaciolo:

Absolutely agree 100%. I woudln't be buying it if it was just beer. That is kinda boring. And for the boobs...well, I already have an alternative backglass in the works like I did for bm66 https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nsfw-bm66-batman-alternate-translite-censored

Awesome

#2693 5 years ago

Interesting to conclude that what I wrote could be summarized as" it should be about beer" , although a beer pinball would probably be a hit at brewpubs!

#2694 5 years ago

I will look at the backglass at home but will assume "nsfw"

#2695 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballjj:

I will look at the backglass at home but will assume "nsfw"

The pinside link is censored version.

#2696 5 years ago

According to some of the logic here, the classic arcade game Tapper should have been an epic failure (except in bars). I mean how could they possibly succeed? Besides Budweiser beer (and later on, root beer), they had aliens, cowboys and punk rocker characters.

#2697 5 years ago
Quoted from acaciolo:

That's Great Work!
With Oktoberfest it didnt need the playboy treatment, just a Little more and lower cut outfit. Maybe even nip slip would be to much, but cant say I wouldn't mind.

#2698 5 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

So not really knowing much about Oktoberfest, and being sceptical that it had a carnival and what not, as displayed in the game. So I looked up some pics and here we are. I guese that means myself, and many others dont know what Oktoberfest is really about. At least i educated myself. Game is going to be just fine!!

timthumb (resized).jpegtimthumb (resized).jpeg
#2699 5 years ago

That picture of Munich is super cool. Wouldn't it be so much nicer to see a 3D animated fly in over the festival. The zoom down the main thoroughfare and stop at different rides, tents and food stands? Maybe in place of the current fairground screen. Just an idea.

#2700 5 years ago

I am creepily (lurkingly?) following this thread from norway, as i am really considering buying oktoberfest

Thats because of the interesting impression the playfield gives me; a mix of dialed in, circus voltaire, rollercoaster tycoon, and more, and also because its a theme about drinking beer and having fun

Now i am waiting to hopefully get to try it, and also hoping that the animations and some visual lcd stuff will be slightly improved, but it is no deal breaker. Mainly i just need to play it and feel it.

Btw; funny that people argue bk3k is a unlicensed theme, when stern has licensed it from pps (ergo; b/w?)

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 8,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 39.99
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

$ 11.99
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

$ 7,795.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

8,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dixon, CA
6,100 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Queen Creek, AZ
$ 140.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

Playfield - Other
RavSpec

$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

$ 7,795.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 7,899.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 129.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

There are 4,992 posts in this topic. You are on page 54 of 100.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/joe-balcer-confirms-oktoberfest-as-american-pinbals-next-pin/page/54?hl=trogdor and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.