(Topic ID: 224963)

Joe Balcer confirms Oktoberfest as American Pinball's next pin.

By PismoArcade

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 4,992 posts
  • 466 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Ferret
  • Topic is favorited by 79 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

8880f5e6998fb0663ff4a9a77f40c92eb6c125f2 (resized).png
okt (resized).jpg
59547925-ED73-4D13-9C0B-C0B4DB7F1F2C (resized).jpeg
20210418_173000 (resized).jpg
IMG_8199 (resized).jpg
20211127_232248 (resized).jpg
BLKFRIDAY2021 (1) (resized).png
16341706819071145026220657450351 (resized).jpg
AAAABWnlUYQGnwPYrDFi3t2ZJg8xDmhdqB2hGmDLTPnpLg4SjPq15X8P8IAl66bSXZXeQjCVgv9i_WrsIbMEvcUa9pH863X- (resized).jpg
20211006_190939 (resized).jpg
47cc5c7a51600f42dccc5022b9550eca8025c861 (resized).jpg
IMG_7361 (resized).jpg
IMG_7362 (resized).jpg
Okt upgraded coil stop - blue = new (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
20210620_160449 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 4,992 posts in this topic. You are on page 52 of 100.
#2551 5 years ago

I like the art and style overall, except for the grainy band clip when entering tents. Just doesn’t fit.

I know code isn’t finished, but I noticed you can keep going into Juggler mode and get a myltiball every time. So right now it’s Juggling tent all day until they figure this out.

#2552 5 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

In defense of AP, Stern’s work on Munsters UI is pretty bad too, so even the big boys are struggling.
If you want examples of amazing game UI in a restricted environment, look no further than mobile gaming. A great example is Peggle. It uses a thematically appropriate font and uses it consistently, and makes it very visible by using a black drop shadow and gradient shading.
I suggest all the pinball manufacturers take a look at mobile design for inspiration.

And Peggle only costs $4.99 Shows you can do cool animation on a budget.

#2553 5 years ago

The grainy crowd footage is either:

a) they didn't license the clip and tried to make it unrecognizable.

b) they wanted to obscure faces they don't have likeness releases for

c) they actually think unsharp mask and posterization would make live action footage blend in with the clip art.

#2554 5 years ago
Quoted from Bond_Gadget_007:

I like the art and style overall, except for the grainy band clip when entering tents. Just doesn’t fit.
I know code isn’t finished, but I noticed you can keep going into Juggler mode and get a myltiball every time. So right now it’s Juggling tent all day until they figure this out.

You can only re-visit the tent until you finish it. Ferret explained this pretty well a couple pages ago I think, and while you can keep doing that as long as you don't finish the tent you won't necessarily benefit very much points-wise in comparison to other strategies.

#2555 5 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

And Peggle only costs $4.99 Shows you can do cool animation on a budget.

My guess is that they re-use a crap-ton of the code for those mobile apps so the costs get distributed widely.

#2556 5 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

The grainy crowd footage is either

Or as stated a couple of times in this thread…

a placeholder put in early and not yet replaced as we have prioritized having animations for all modes.

#2557 5 years ago

Go right ahead. While in Juggling, you can't qualify other multiballs. You can't collect steins. And the scoring tiers reset every time you re-visit a tent, so you actually need to make a few shots in one tent visit to get any meaningful points. This is not a problem of unfinished code. (At least unless/until someone demonstrates to me that there's an exploit... )

#2558 5 years ago

just because you can do something.. doesn't mean it will necessarily pay off

#2559 5 years ago

BTW, regarding Juggling... I actually AM aware of one potential exploit. I'm not discussing it because I want to see if it becomes a viable strategy... if so, I'll nix the repeatable Juggling. But it seems too painful to really take advantage of...

#2560 5 years ago

What's the story on the characters that once sat in the bumper cars (Duckie, Hot Dog, Monkey)? Cost cutting, or is it that they wouldn't fit under the wireform, or something else? They were super cool, way better than empty bumper cars.

#2561 5 years ago

Available to play at The Pinball Palace in Brunswick Ga tomorrow.

ED0CEA3E-B2E1-4EA0-9998-4C09B1A1A3E9 (resized).jpegED0CEA3E-B2E1-4EA0-9998-4C09B1A1A3E9 (resized).jpeg
#2562 5 years ago
Quoted from Paul_from_Gilroy:

What's the story on the characters that once sat in the bumper cars (Duckie, Hot Dog, Monkey)? Cost cutting, or is it that they wouldn't fit under the wireform, or something else? They were super cool, way better than empty bumper cars.

They wouldnt fit under the wireformed ramp.

#2563 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

They wouldnt fit under the wireformed ramp.

I see a mod opportunity

#2564 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinballer31520:

Available to play at The Pinball Palace in Brunswick Ga tomorrow.
[quoted image]

Man, I do really like the energy of the cabinet artwork for Oktoberfest and Houdini!

#2565 5 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

Or as stated a couple of times in this thread…
a placeholder put in early and not yet replaced as we have prioritized having animations for all modes.

OK that makes sense!

#2566 5 years ago

Any games shipping to Los Angeles soon?

#2567 5 years ago
Quoted from Ferret:

BTW, regarding Juggling... I actually AM aware of one potential exploit. I'm not discussing it because I want to see if it becomes a viable strategy... if so, I'll nix the repeatable Juggling. But it seems too painful to really take advantage of...

We need to get Cayle on it, apparently

#2568 5 years ago

Absolutely, Cayle is one of several excellent players who really know how to turn the smallest glitch of a ruleset into a huge exploit. I will be delighted when any such players get some meaningful time on Oktoberfest. I figure it's a given that there's at least one bad exploit lurking in the code... problems like that are found in games by great programmers who have two decades more experience at this than Josh and me combined, so yeah, it'll happen, and then we'll fix it.

#2569 5 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Wesman you're entirely correct in saying this is about ego. Everybody wants to feel that their opinion is correct and they'll go online in search of validation. It's like the old saying "Nobody goes on the internet to be proven wrong"
I'd ask you to consider Aurich and I's viewpoints. We both poured heart and soul into pinball projects. Aurich spent a lot of time on a game that wasn't fully produced while I help start Spooky Pinball only to be "de-prioritized" when ACNC was delayed and TNA became a huge hit.
We know how hard it is to make games and the choices that go into that. We see something like OKT and it's not just the bad art decisions that bother us, it's knowing that a lot of resources were available but not utilized correctly. We WISH we had the opportunity to do that with our games but we didn't - so when we see that potential squandered it makes us all the more frustrated.
Storytime. 2013 we take AMH to Pinball Expo. Almost everyone hates our Photoshop artwork (the green version) Pretty much the only person who doesn't hate it is Roger Sharpe. "It makes sense" he says "like a painting around a frame". Great! Everyone else says "You have to change this it sucks". I remember the younger guy from Cointaker taking me aside dead serious like it's an intervention "Ben, you have to change this". Who do I listen to? Roger Sharpe, or everyone else?
Steve Richie has a saying. "If 2 people tell you something sucks, then it sucks".
In the following weeks I commission the backglass to be redrawn by hand and I redesign the cabinet with the swirling ghost design. Hate it or love it Spooky is still around today.
AP is a lot younger than Spooky. Just saying they should learn from our mistakes not repeat them.

I entirely agree with both of your critiques, and I'd say everyone on this thread has provided some good suggestions. I think just after a point of pounding down the same issues, it feels more like "my way is the right way" versus accepting and respecting the design choices by a crew we're not a part of. Doesn't mean we're not trying to be helpful, but at this point, unless anyone is staffed or contracted, it feels like more shade is being thrown at the game than praise, and this close to launch...that doesn't feel fun/celebratory.

I really think if some typography changes were made/tweaked, the entire package might feel more smoothed out and polished, and something like that could be very easily modified and cheap to do, versus redoing entire animations.

Either way, I'm pretty psyched to get to play Oktoberfest, (JJP5), and the new Black Knight this friday at MGC!!!!

And Ben, I really can't imagine the process of how Spooky started, and I'm sure you have some compelling stories, and learned a lot during that process, and like Aurich mentioned, I know I wasn't around firsthand to see any of those things develop on here as they occurred.

#2570 5 years ago

Sorry if it’s been asked before, but when will distributors be receiving their games?

#2571 5 years ago

Played Monday night at Level 257 for about 45 minutes. Last game lasted 20:30, but got really boring when it became impossible to hit the left ramp a few minutes into it. Flipper definitely weakens over time. I also had a much harder time getting all the way up the beer barrel shot as time went on. I had a really hard time with the right 180 shot the whole game. Loved the layout with the exception of that shot. Fun to play for sure. Awesome that it plays ein prosit after the game ends. Would love some more direction on how close modes are to being completed and what is going on with the food tent. Also, the blurry picture when starting a mode does not look good. Looking forward to playing a finished product.

#2572 5 years ago

I think with the current level of animations in pinball, you have to have some that people say, 'wow, that is great' or something.

BKSR's animations are way better than this game.

Not sure why the colors are so muted?

Surely you want them to literally pop out of the screen?

#2573 5 years ago

I thought the animations in BKSR were incredible - the best ever I've seen in pinball from both a quality and integration point of view. And yet people were complaining about the animations as being terrible and old looking! WTF??!! It does highlight that expectations for what goes on the screen is really high. Especially in a $5,800 machine.

#2574 5 years ago

I too thought that BKSR's animations looked great. But I thought the rest of the game was just OK and I do prefer OKT's uniqueness over it. But, in watching last night's stream I could not help thinking how much more OKT could have been and how much it's animations will hurt it. I hope that OKT succeeds but it truly has some stiff competition coming from a pin that is about $1400 less. I shudder to think what WONKA is going to do to it tomorrow night. Yes, WONKA will likely be about $1100 more than OKT but if it sets the new standard, people will gravitate to it. I for one, am keeping my powder dry until I see WONKA. I'm tempted to put my money on it instead of an OKT. I cannot wait until tomorrow's reveal so that I can make a final decision.

#2575 5 years ago
Quoted from arcadem:

I too thought that BKSR's animations looked great. But I thought the rest of the game was just OK and I do prefer OKT's uniqueness over it. But, in watching last night's stream I could not help thinking how much more OKT could have been and how much it's animations will hurt it. I hope that OKT succeeds but it truly has some stiff competition coming from a pin that is about $1400 less. I shudder to think what WONKA is going to do to it tomorrow night. Yes, WONKA will likely be about $1100 more than OKT but if it sets the new standard, people will gravitate to it. I for one, am keeping my powder dry until I see WONKA. I'm tempted to put my money on it instead of an OKT. I cannot wait until tomorrow's reveal so that I can make a final decision.

Are you expecting street price on a BKSWOR Premium to be $6300? If not then I don't think you should be comparing the pro to OKT which will have full-color RGB inserts and art blades plus all no missing / removed features.

#2576 5 years ago

I think Black Knight looks about as dull as you get with pinball BUT people are out of their minds if they are complaining about the animations. Crazy to hear that

#2577 5 years ago
Quoted from SarcasticHorse:

Would love some more direction on how close modes are to being completed and what is going on with the food tent.

Whenever a mode is running, there’s a status bar at the bottom of the screen telling you what to shoot and how many more are required to win the mode. It also indicates how many of that tent’s steins you have.

Food Stand features are basically Super {Orbits, Bumpers, Ramps, etc} for points and, more importantly, calories. Calories boost jackpot values for Beer Barrel and Corkscrew multiballs.

#2578 5 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

I think Black Knight looks about as dull as you get with pinball BUT people are out of their minds if they are complaining about the animations. Crazy to hear that

Totally agree. Not liking the pin but liking the animations myself! Very creative.

#2579 5 years ago
Quoted from Ferret:

Whenever a mode is running, there’s a status bar at the bottom of the screen telling you what to shoot and how many more are required to win the mode. It also indicates how many of that tent’s steins you have.
Food Stand features are basically Super {Orbits, Bumpers, Ramps, etc} for points and, more importantly, calories. Calories boost jackpot values for Beer Barrel and Corkscrew multiballs.

Thanks. Will look for that next time I’m back there. Is there a calorie indicator or something else that shows when you’re hitting the orbits/bumpers/ramps or how long they stay lit for? The whole food tent part was puzzling to me.

One other thing - the hit the vuk callout is a little weird. Hit the food tent would be better, and especially with a (aftermarket) tent model over it.

Shots feel great when the flippers are full power and I love the overall build quality.

#2580 5 years ago

I had a really hard time with the right 180 shot the whole game.

There is a new version of the 180 ramp, not yet installed on that machine, which makes a huge difference. In fact, so much better that Ferret and I were discussing yesterday changes to the super skill shot. Will get that one changed out soon.

Jus to add to what Ferret said, regarding the food stand modes, shoot the spinner and drop target will add calories and open the food stand.
Shooting the stand (yuk) during a food mode will restart the clock. In addition to increasing jackpot values, consuming an abundance of food/calories can result a "calorie coma" (coming soon), in which your current ball will 'pause' until you work off the calories via shots to the spinner. However, since your are drowsy from having consumed too many calories, your "strength" may not be what it normally is, until you worked off at least some of the calories.

When the main screen is displayed, the food stand on the right side will show you your current calories and status of the food stand, if you are in a food stand mode, it will show the time remaining. We will likely add a version of that clock that is always on screen when a food stand mode is running.

#2581 5 years ago

Great stuff, rosh. Really excited for the improvements. Thanks so much for the responses. Would love it if you could keep us posted on changes to the Level 257 machine. Good luck in the home stretch.

#2582 5 years ago

One other thing - the hit the vuk callout is a little weird. Hit the food tent would be better,

Good point, thanks!

#2583 5 years ago
Quoted from Paul_from_Gilroy:

Oktoberfest was my favorite game at TPF. I sure hope they fix this screen (copied from the previous post). It came up frequently (mode start, I think). It's one of the ugliest things I've ever seen in pinball (and I've seen a lot).[quoted image]

Josh says it is a placeholder. I thought that animation, which is based on a video scene, is deliberately blurred to evoke a crowded and chaotic tent as you are entering. It is generic and without detail so it can be used for every tent. It beats having a dark screen transition, or a tent flap opening up. And it is only temporary.

#2584 5 years ago
Quoted from arcadem:

I suspect wonka will have a chocolate river running across the playfield and will cost over $10k. JJPs are too high end for me to afford.

#2585 5 years ago

Mode transition idea: Assuming a first person perspective, a beer stein tilts up into view, fills the screen as you chug, stien tilts back down to review the next mode.

#2586 5 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

There is a new version of the 180 ramp, not yet installed on that machine, which makes a huge difference. In fact, so much better that Ferret and I were discussing yesterday changes to the super skill shot. Will get that one changed out soon.

Jus to add to what Ferret said, regarding the food stand modes, shoot the spinner and drop target will add calories and open the food stand.
Shooting the stand (yuk) during a food mode will restart the clock. In addition to increasing jackpot values, consuming an abundance of food/calories can result a "calorie coma" (coming soon), in which your current ball will 'pause' until you work off the calories via shots to the spinner. However, since your are drowsy from having consumed too many calories, your "strength" may not be what it normally is, until you worked off at least some of the calories.
When the main screen is displayed, the food stand on the right side will show you your current calories and status of the food stand, if you are in a food stand mode, it will show the time remaining. We will likely add a version of that clock that is always on screen when a food stand mode is running.

I love the creative stuff like this! You are helping to usher in an entirely new gaming experience that combines pinball with video games. Super cool.

#2587 5 years ago

Kudos to Josh and Ferret (and Barry) for representing the ONLY manufacturer with the balls to keep showing up on Pinside, whether the criticism is constructive or idiotic, and the positive comments specific or generic, they keep responding. Can't beat that.

This game has some of the most creative ideas on the playfield and in the code that I think I've ever seen - thank goodness at least a few people are taking their eyes off the tv screen for a moment to appreciate the actual you know... PINBALL part of the game. Keep it up AP!

#2588 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Kudos to Josh and Ferret (and Barry) for representing the ONLY manufacturer with the balls to keep showing up on Pinside, whether the criticism is constructive or idiotic, and the positive comments specific or generic, they keep responding. Can't beat that.
This game has some of the most creative ideas on the playfield and in the code that I think I've ever seen - thank goodness at least a few people are taking their eyes off the tv screen for a moment to appreciate the actual you know... PINBALL part of the game. Keep it up AP!

Imagine that! Looking at the playfield, playing and getting satisfaction, vs watching the screen and critiquing cartoons. Wanna watch some great vidoes, go to youtube.

#2589 5 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Mode transition idea: Assuming a first person perspective, a beer stein tilts up into view, fills the screen as you chug, stein tilts back down to review the next mode.

Nice idea, we do something like that in chugging, but it starts full and goes down as it is consumed.

The idea of the intro is that you are at Oktoberfest and looking around at each tent to decide which to enter, and then once you choose you go through the doors of the tent and fly over the crowd until you get to the bar, the amusement area, etc. The current crowd fly over will be replaced with something has not been hacked up with filters, etc. But we certainly might change the concept at some point.

#2590 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

criticism is constructive or idiotic,

Its Pinside!

#2591 5 years ago
Quoted from PhantomO:

I suspect wonka will have a chocolate river running across the playfield and will cost over $10k. JJPs are too high end for me to afford.

We already know the Standard will be around $7500-$8k and LE is $9500

#2592 5 years ago

Josh getting revenge for my LCD comments.

IMG_20190412_163642~2 (resized).jpgIMG_20190412_163642~2 (resized).jpg
#2593 5 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Man, if I was there I'd buy both of you bearded assholes a drink.

#2594 5 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

[quoted image]

all right, well that was worth the entrance fee... haha good job guys

#2595 5 years ago

Finally got to play one. I really enjoyed visiting the tents. And the Corkscrew is really cool, just can't get there. Man that ramp is STEEP

#2596 5 years ago

There are 3 at MGC if anyone is there and looking to play it.

#2597 5 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Nice to see you guys getting along!

#2598 5 years ago

Thanks @rosh @pinballer31520 and @ferret for your help with the dimensions for the Oktoberfest machine. I built the topper today out of approx 60 year old beer signs (customized with some photos of me with a group of friends and others I wish were friends at Oktoberfest) from my Dad's beer distributor in Allentown, PA.

Now all I need is the machine to put it on. How long til Pinfest?!

#2599 5 years ago
Quoted from acaciolo:

Thanks @rosh @pinballer31520 and @ferret for your help with the dimensions for the Oktoberfest machine. I built the topper today out of approx 60 year old beer signs (customized with some photos of me with a group of friends and others I wish were friends at Oktoberfest) from my Dad's beer distributor in Allentown, PA.
Now all I need is the machine to put it on. How long til Pinfest?!

That is Awesome. Love the rotating panel. Nice pics on side 2! Clever, well done!

#2600 5 years ago

Finally got to put some time on this yesterday.

My impressions on what I thought would be a great theme/game was a musical cluster f@#$& and felt like 10lbs of shit in a 5 lb bag. Video and animations weren’t spectacular either but they didn’t bother me.

Unfortunately don’t see myself adding this one to the collection.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 11.99
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

8,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dixon, CA
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 39.99
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

$ 7,795.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Machine - For Sale
Queen Creek, AZ
$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 7,795.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 129.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 7,899.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 8,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 140.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 4,992 posts in this topic. You are on page 52 of 100.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/joe-balcer-confirms-oktoberfest-as-american-pinbals-next-pin/page/52?hl=barryj and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.