(Topic ID: 224963)

Joe Balcer confirms Oktoberfest as American Pinball's next pin.

By PismoArcade

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 4,992 posts
  • 466 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Ferret
  • Topic is favorited by 79 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

8880f5e6998fb0663ff4a9a77f40c92eb6c125f2 (resized).png
okt (resized).jpg
59547925-ED73-4D13-9C0B-C0B4DB7F1F2C (resized).jpeg
20210418_173000 (resized).jpg
IMG_8199 (resized).jpg
20211127_232248 (resized).jpg
BLKFRIDAY2021 (1) (resized).png
16341706819071145026220657450351 (resized).jpg
AAAABWnlUYQGnwPYrDFi3t2ZJg8xDmhdqB2hGmDLTPnpLg4SjPq15X8P8IAl66bSXZXeQjCVgv9i_WrsIbMEvcUa9pH863X- (resized).jpg
20211006_190939 (resized).jpg
47cc5c7a51600f42dccc5022b9550eca8025c861 (resized).jpg
IMG_7361 (resized).jpg
IMG_7362 (resized).jpg
Okt upgraded coil stop - blue = new (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
20210620_160449 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 4,992 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 100.
#201 5 years ago

Looks like it maybe has a third flipper with a side ramp:

Oktoberfest (resized).jpgOktoberfest (resized).jpg
#202 5 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

So true. So many great games of the past have questionable themes. Most of my favorite games are on quirky themes or bad movies.

The point that is almost always forgotten when discussing NEW games is that we were historically able to buy our favorite games with quirky themes or bad movies for like $2000 or less. Octoberfest will be what, like $8000? The higher the price, the more people have to be attached to the theme to depart with their money.

#203 5 years ago
Quoted from solarvalue:

Looks like it maybe has a third flipper with a side ramp:[quoted image]

That hole to the right of the ramp is definitely gonna need a cliffy. Hopefully it's an option from the factory like they're moving toward for Houdini.

#204 5 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

The point that is almost always forgotten when discussing NEW games is that we were historically able to buy our favorite games with quirky themes or bad movies for like $2000 or less. Octoberfest will be what, like $8000? The higher the price, the more people have to be attached to the theme to depart with their money.

The good news. One model, one version. Minimal upgrades, same as Houdini. The single model game is a great idea by American pinball!

#205 5 years ago
Quoted from solarvalue:

Looks like it maybe has a third flipper with a side ramp:[quoted image]

3 Flippers confirmed a few months ago by Joe B. Ramps x2, wire forms appears to be 4.
Awesome code by Josh, confirmed!
Tapper video mode, unconfirmed but a must.

#207 5 years ago

Oh geez. Sorry bro. Yes, awesome code by ferret as well!

#208 5 years ago

Might be a great theme for market to Europe. A bigger world market is good for pinball.

#209 5 years ago

You know... I don't want to stir the pot... But, a lot of people here can't seem to get their minds straight. People claim to be tired of band themes, and also old pop culture themes, and just movie and comic themes in particular. This is an original theme.
And while it might not be on the surface the most exciting, it could really work well for pinball.
It could have the sex appeal, and it could have a nice sense of humor. Could be a really fun game to play. I don't like drinking, and I don't go to octoberfests. But, I think if designed right it could be a really fun to play game.
Is this a theme I'd ever go out of my way to own, no... But, that is okay.
Or rather it would be okay if there were actually places to play pinball in the wild.

#210 5 years ago
Quoted from Diospinball:

You know... I don't want to stir the pot... I don't like drinking, and I don't go to octoberfests.

Which explains why all your posts are like kids playing with crayons.

#211 5 years ago
Quoted from Spencer:

Which explains why all your posts are like kids playing with crayons.

LOL!!
Okay. I don't know why you'd say that. I'd just like to point out that I don't play with crayons. Nothing wrong with that. Just a silly thing to say my friend, and I only once ever directed a derogatory comment to someone. And that was a post I apologized for.
So lets please not go negative.
If you read what I wrote, you'll see that I just said. Lets wait for the art, the coding and animations, and the gameplay, before we judge.
Spooky makes good enough games and I have faith in them.

#212 5 years ago
Quoted from solarvalue:

Looks like it maybe has a third flipper with a side ramp:

This picture also answers the questions on if they are doing a Whitewood.

#213 5 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

3 Flippers confirmed a few months ago by Joe B. Ramps x2, wire forms appears to be 4.
Awesome code by Josh, confirmed!
Tapper video mode, unconfirmed but a must.

Can we get another coder at AP? Josh has enough going with Houdini polish and code fixes, add some more coders to go with warehouse expansion!

-Doug

#214 5 years ago
Quoted from halflip87:

Can we get another coder at AP? Josh has enough going with Houdini polish and code fixes, add some more coders to go with warehouse expansion!
-Doug

Done, you missed the memo and Ferret and I jabbing above,

Ferret been on the Job for almost 3 months now. American pinball ahead of the curve again.

#215 5 years ago

For those who don't know Ferret, he was the primary rules programmer on Alien, who's code has seemed very well received. I think he's 100% an asset on any game he's involved in, he's a good player, and he thinks about the way everything fits together. I would work again with him in a heartbeat, were I inclined to work on another pinball. Heh.

#216 5 years ago
Quoted from fishbone:

While I can confirm the Schuhplattler to be tradition in some parts of Germany and Austria, I assure you: the chicken dance is not.

Then in traditional Pinside style I’m selling my spot I can’t afford to own in the first place

#217 5 years ago
Quoted from colonel_caverne:

I think this company can become a major actor in this industry.
Regarding their first game, i think it is success, theme and its integration, design, playability, rules, fun factor are really well executed. I don’t know if it is a commercial success but I wish it is or it will be soon. They deserve our support, you know what I mean, coz they understand what we are looking for in a game, coz they are very creative and novel.
My next purchase will be Houdini and can’t wait to see what AP is able to do with such a friendly, family, festive theme.
I wish them the best.

Ha, except if you need some goodwill with a warranty claim, so I’m a wait and see, as I don’t trust these guys very much.

#218 5 years ago
Quoted from tacshose:

Ha, except if you need some goodwill with a warranty claim, so I’m a wait and see, as I don’t trust these guys very much.

American Pinball has been GREAT with after purchase support. They've taken care of literally every issue I've tossed at them so far (and with an early production route game, we're not talking one or two issues involving parts). No need for concern at all based on my experience. Looking forward to the awesome Oktoberfest boob art to match their awesome support.

#219 5 years ago

There is a lot to work with this theme. I reckon it will be good.

Re Rio carnival, was flying out of Rio the week before it started, the guy next to me was the son of the Tourism minister and he always left the city during carnivale time as he hated it!

#220 5 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

If it has wiener dog racing, it's going to be great !
Now we're talking. Go American Pinball go !
LTG : )

Time to race !

dasch (resized).jpgdasch (resized).jpg
#221 5 years ago

Barrel racing is also a must.

I can see a video mode or 2 getting dropped in on OKTF

br (resized).jpgbr (resized).jpg
#222 5 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

Uhhh, yeah....good luck with that one AP? Can't wait to hear the thought process on that theme decision.

You have 8 games in your collection, if 7 of them were to come out today.. you'd say the same thing.

#223 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

For those who don't know Ferret, he was the primary rules programmer on Alien, who's code has seemed very well received. I think he's 100% an asset on any game he's involved in, he's a good player, and he thinks about the way everything fits together. I would work again with him in a heartbeat, were I inclined to work on another pinball. Heh.

Ferret Made Alien (Heighway Pinball) one of the best theme integration games ever, up there with Star Trek next generation. It's engaging, and a deep/fun ruleset that keeps you coming back for more. I keep thinking what would he be able to do with something like a Champion Pub only w/ more of an Oktoberfest twist. I can't wait to see it, and will be keeping a very close eye on what's to come. My only hope is that American Pinball takes a long hard look at what they could have done better with Houdini, and spend a little more time in the whitewood phase. For all those who think theme is everything, go buy a Houdini and don't complain about the shots

#224 5 years ago

I actually think Octoberfest sounds like a cool theme. My problem is American Pinball's performance when it comes to taking care of their customers. 90 day-enforced warranty has me thinking I should stick with Stern or JJP. I wish them the best of luck but until they cover all of their customers for at least a year for all parts and warranty issues-I am out. Definitely not buying an extended warranty for a $7000+ game. BS-Slap in my face

#225 5 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

If it has wiener dog racing, it's going to be great !
Now we're talking. Go American Pinball go !
LTG : )

Pinball, beer and boobs are a winning combo. Add weinner dogs for the big win!

Disclaimer - no hotdogs were defiled in the making of this ad, ketchup never touched the bun.

#226 5 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

I actually think Octoberfest sounds like a cool theme. My problem is American Pinball's performance when it comes to taking care of their customers. 90 day-enforced warranty has me thinking I should stick with Stern or JJP. I wish them the best of luck but until they cover all of their customers for at least a year for all parts and warranty issues-I am out. Definitely not buying an extended warranty for a $7000+ game. BS-Slap in my face

Go back and read that thread. The OP neglected to say he was the second owner. He was not the original buyer. They also provided him a ton of tech support. I think it’s unfair to label them as not supporting their customers. As a comparison, did JJP give out light boards to all second owners of woz that had issues?

#227 5 years ago
Quoted from knockerlover:

You have 8 games in your collection, if 7 of them were to come out today.. you'd say the same thing.

Except none of them are 7k. I can deal with crappy themes and zero warranty when I am only investing $1500. This machine is going to have to do my dishes and make me dinner before I invest 7k into a crappy theme with crappy ultra-rigid warranty support. Dialed in sold 1600 units so far due to crappy theme, and had one of the best designers of all time. AP doesn't even have the stigma of a renowned designer to prop this one up.

#228 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinphila:

The OP neglected to say he was the second owner.

Again being second owner does not matter to me. It is the principal of it, a 4 month old game from a new vendor should be covered. They clearly stated that they enforce their 90 day warranty. I have the right to an opinion, and until I see better customer service support-I am out.

#229 5 years ago

90 day warrantees should be 90 days plus whatever length of time it takes for something to break on my machine and not have to pay for it #entitledwhiteguy

#230 5 years ago
Quoted from Rascal_H:

90 day warrantees should be 90 days plus whatever length of time it takes for something to break on my machine

My problem is I do not put a lot of games on my machines, it could take me 6 months before a problem arises. You can call me entitled but when I spend $5000+ on a pinball machine and I have purchased tons of NIB machines, and I have always received at least a year support if not longer despite technical written warranty. My point is American Pinball needs to step up and take care of all issues for at least a year. Being a new company, it blows my mind that they are not bending over backwards and taking care of issues for at least a year. You want to establish yourself as a service oriented company if you want my business.

#231 5 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

My problem is I do not put a lot of games on my machines, it could take me 6 months before a problem arises. You can call me entitled but when I spend $5000+ on a pinball machine and I have purchased tons of NIB machines, and I have always received at least a year support if not longer despite technical written warranty. My point is American Pinball needs to step up and take care of all issues for at least a year. Being a new company, it blows my mind that they are not bending over backwards and taking care of issues for at least a year. You want to establish yourself as a service oriented company if you want my business.

Yeah, that would be great for you. You get your fix out of warranty. Then, maybe you come on Pinside and tell how everyone at American are stand up guys and have tremendous support and loyalty to their customers. A few other guys have things that break... maybe a year or two out of warranty. But hey, pinmister got his part replaced... so they should too, right? Of course! A precedent has been set! Then, American pinball gets it’s invoice from suppliers and they are a little short that month. That’s ok, just sell some more games. Whoops, someone dropped a screwdriver on their playfield... let’s send them a new game. Uh oh, can’t keep the lights on at American Pinball anymore. Anyone want some free stuff before they lock up?

#232 5 years ago

Interesting interview excerpt on TWIP this morning regarding Joe keeping the game family friendly:

Joe B: “...One thing we do want to keep in our pocket is that – our games will be more family friendly games. We don’t want to come out with games that only dad can play with his buds in the basement. That’s not the way we want to go. There area lot of elements – not just to Oktoberfest, but any game that might have beer and you know, drinking or whatever that is frowned upon type of thing going on in the world now, and that’s fine. If we use humor and we bring in all the other aspects of any title, we’ll definitely make it work in that way.”

#233 5 years ago
Quoted from wfumed2:

Interesting interview excerpt on TWIP this morning regarding Joe keeping the game family friendly:
Joe B: “...One thing we do want to keep in our pocket is that – our games will be more family friendly games. We don’t want to come out with games that only dad can play with his buds in the basement. That’s not the way we want to go. There area lot of elements – not just to Oktoberfest, but any game that might have beer and you know, drinking or whatever that is frowned upon type of thing going on in the world now, and that’s fine. If we use humor and we bring in all the other aspects of any title, we’ll definitely make it work in that way.”

“...One thing we do want to keep in our pocket is that – our games will be more family friendly games...." So we made a pin about a month long drinking festival in Germany!

The player is the designated driver, and you're job is to make shots to collect pretzels, and serve them to the guests to help absorb the alcohol.

Hit the mystery scoop to "summon mom" to talk sense into the drunkards.

When lit, the right ramp calls "Uber" (which I assume is called Uber in Germany).

LET'S DO THIS, FAMILY! Beer me. I prefer Guinness, though.

#234 5 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

It seems ridiculous. But Stern do similar things.

Thing is, it's a mandatory 2 year transferrable in EU. But like JJP (and unlike Stern) there's no appreciable mark up for EU games beyond tax and what it costs to ship. So they clearly can do longer than 3 months. Clearly no-one is going to offer 2 years in the US, given the environment, but an enforced in all cases 3 month non-transferrable for home use? Who wants to buy that? They're mad if they pursue this rigidly.

#235 5 years ago
Quoted from wfumed2:

This ridiculous puritannical bent is a peculiarly American thing. Whether it be the drinking, or the merest hint of sexuality. I don't think it's even a minor factor in any other potential market.

Drinking age for wine and beer is 14 in Germany, purchasing at 16, spirits at 18. Not 21 for everything, as in the US. Most European countries it's the same or lower.

If it's made holier than thou it'll be looked on with scorn here.

Also don't believe that all Americans are like this, either. Just a deafeningly loud minority. Pandering to them is likely to be counter productive.

#236 5 years ago
Quoted from knockerlover:

For all those who think theme is everything, go buy a Houdini and don't complain about the shots

Done and done!

#237 5 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

This ridiculous puritannical bent is a peculiarly American thing. Whether it be the drinking, or the merest hint of sexuality. I don't think it's even a minor factor in any other market.
Drinking age for wine and beer is 14 in Germany, purchasing at 16, spirits at 18. Not 21 for everything, as in the US. Most European countries it's the same or lower.
If it's made holier than thou it'll be looked on with scorn here.

I love to tell people about the open bar BMW has in the waiting area at the Velt when you are picking up your European Delivery car. No chance in hell you'd see that in the States, especially since there is no one there checking IDs.

That said, I think they can still make a family friendly game that appeals to adults as long as they don't take it to the extreme.

#238 5 years ago

All these things pointed out suggest this theme is fraught with risk.

AP is determined to not spend anything on licensing and they will accomplish that.

#239 5 years ago

C'mon who doesn't drink beer when playing pinball? The theme is perfect. Cant wait to see the pretzel ramp.

#240 5 years ago
Quoted from mcbPalisade:

AP is determined to not spend anything on licensing and they will accomplish that.

My impressions is its not about the money saved (which is small potatoes, ultimately, for an actual pinball company), but how licensing affects development. Doing it this way they don't have to clear anything, don't have to wait on anyone, don't have anyone negatively affect their schedule. No jumping through hoops.

Obviously the negatives of doing it this way is you don't have a license that sells on its own. So the game will have to really stand out. I wish them much success with this, and we'll see how it shakes out in about a month I guess.

#241 5 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:Again being second owner does not matter to me. It is the principal of it, a 4 month old game from a new vendor should be covered. They clearly stated that they enforce their 90 day warranty. I have the right to an opinion, and until I see better customer service support-I am out.

Go read the Houdini thread if you want to see customer service. Their interaction with their customers appears pretty solid IMO.

Anyway, cant wait to see this game!

#242 5 years ago
Quoted from mcbPalisade:

All these things pointed out suggest this theme is fraught with risk.

I thought AP mentioned that they had secured licenses for a third game? I may be wrong.

#243 5 years ago

Bring it on! Getting tired of band and comic themes.

#244 5 years ago

Love the theme - universally acceptable and timeless in bars, man caves and basements everywhere.

That is the problem with licensed themes that are based on current hot properties (Like Johnny Mnemonic) - the opposite of timeless.

Love just letting the community know what the hell they are working on. Way freakin better than the clandestine "what they hell will the next remake be?" Totally do not understand that black-bag operation. I don't think the secrecy builds anything positive. They made the decision, it's not like it will change somehow mid-project. The buildup hype works for Apple but only because the fanboys are going to buy whatever is announced anyway. That model doesn't seem as solid for pinball.

Really looking forward to the implementation of this theme!

#245 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinphila:

As a comparison, did JJP give out light boards to all second owners of woz that had issues?

I know for a fact that JJP did this. Maybe not for all as you say, but I know of a few. Not only to a second owner but even after more than 2 years. They sent out a set of lightboards (more than were defect) and they did not even demand to get the old boards back.

#246 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Looking forward to the awesome Oktoberfest boob art

This would look great next to my Whoa Nellie and my cuckoo clock

#247 5 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I get it. Theme sells no doubt. I don't get how some guys drop the likes of $8000 on a game sight unseen just because they like the theme. Guess I'm not that into popular movies and bands with songs you hear on the radio thousands of times over the last 20 years. I love the quirky, different stuff. Things that stand out. They just seem more fun since there is more freedom in design. My favorite new game from the last handful of years is still DI. Theme is kind of goofy but I really like how it all comes together. Most other games are too serious, tame, or literal with their themes. Probably not the fault of the designers since having a high profile license often comes with big limitations on art, visuals, and audio. JJP POTC is a good example. I think the game would of been far better if they just went with a unique pirate theme. Maybe that's just me.

#248 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

For those who don't know Ferret, he was the primary rules programmer on Alien, who's code has seemed very well received.

I waited a whole 24 hours after the Heighway implosion before reaching out to him to see if he wanted to stay in pinball. It has been great working with him on this project, hopefully he feels the same.

Quoted from frolic:

My impressions is its not about the money saved (which is small potatoes, ultimately, for an actual pinball company), but how licensing affects development. Doing it this way they don't have to clear anything, don't have to wait on anyone, don't have anyone negatively affect their schedule. No jumping through hoops.
Obviously the negatives of doing it this way is you don't have a license that sells on its own. So the game will have to really stand out. I wish them much success with this, and we'll see how it shakes out in about a month I guess.

Exactly -- I love being able to do what we want and to not to have to worry about getting or waiting on approvals. In many ways with Houdini we treated it like a licensed theme, in that we wanted to do right by the man. Whatever money we save in license fees, gets eaten up by needing to do even more asset development. We are not getting music, video clips, etc. so it is a trade off. Would not surprise me if at some point we do a licensed theme. A licensed theme has other downsides, as some may buy it just on theme, and others may have no interest based on theme. And for those who love the theme, if you don't do it the way they envision it, well . . .

Quoted from Pinphila:

Go read the Houdini thread if you want to see customer service. Their interaction with their customers appears pretty solid IMO.

Those who own a Houdini or actively follow us, know we are very custom focused and provide a high level of service. There are a few folks on pinside, that despite having never interacted with us or bought a machine from us or in some cases have never even played one, who like to rip on us, not sure why. A couple of these guy are taking a single incident they half read about, taking it in isolation and than drawing conclusions. Certainly their right to do so, but, certainly not based in reality of the whole. I could easily name the handful of them, since they seem to pop in any thread where AP comes up to spew their hate. If they don't want to buy one of our machines based on that, their loss. We are focused on making a great machine for those who want it. You can't make everyone happy and there are always going to be haters.

#249 5 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

You can't make everyone happy and there are always going to be haters.

To paraphrase an old quote... you know you've made it when you have haters. The worst thing is no one caring.

This thread being on page 5 is a good sign that people care about what AP does. So, congrats and I look forward to the actual game reveal.

#250 5 years ago

Reminds me of an older version of Alfred E Newman

19F2DB8A-EACF-47EE-AE8C-818F2EAEE43E (resized).png19F2DB8A-EACF-47EE-AE8C-818F2EAEE43E (resized).png
Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 7,899.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro
Pinball Machine
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com
Toys/Add-ons
Machine - For Sale
Wallingford, CT
Playfield - Other
RavSpec
Other
There are 4,992 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 100.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/joe-balcer-confirms-oktoberfest-as-american-pinbals-next-pin/page/5 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.