(Topic ID: 224963)

Joe Balcer confirms Oktoberfest as American Pinball's next pin.

By PismoArcade

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 4,992 posts
  • 466 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Ferret
  • Topic is favorited by 79 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

8880f5e6998fb0663ff4a9a77f40c92eb6c125f2 (resized).png
okt (resized).jpg
59547925-ED73-4D13-9C0B-C0B4DB7F1F2C (resized).jpeg
20210418_173000 (resized).jpg
IMG_8199 (resized).jpg
20211127_232248 (resized).jpg
BLKFRIDAY2021 (1) (resized).png
16341706819071145026220657450351 (resized).jpg
AAAABWnlUYQGnwPYrDFi3t2ZJg8xDmhdqB2hGmDLTPnpLg4SjPq15X8P8IAl66bSXZXeQjCVgv9i_WrsIbMEvcUa9pH863X- (resized).jpg
20211006_190939 (resized).jpg
47cc5c7a51600f42dccc5022b9550eca8025c861 (resized).jpg
IMG_7361 (resized).jpg
IMG_7362 (resized).jpg
Okt upgraded coil stop - blue = new (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
20210620_160449 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 4,992 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 100.
#151 5 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

More of this!
[quoted image]

Those should be included in the LE

#152 5 years ago

They released the LE topper pics today.

horribleclock (resized).jpghorribleclock (resized).jpg
#153 5 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Boobs and booze.
That's not getting past a lot of wives. Good luck getting this in your basement married dudes.

My wife's favorite game was Stern Playboy with the nude package so not all of us married dudes are worried.

#154 5 years ago
2D0F4EFF00000578-0-image-a-62_1443918218251 (resized).jpg2D0F4EFF00000578-0-image-a-62_1443918218251 (resized).jpg
#155 5 years ago
Quoted from Msch:

Not exactly sure what you’re talking about, the first game bombed.

Where is your data for that bold claim? Compared to the other boutiques API has performed quite well.

#156 5 years ago

Anyone know of any videos or streams of the AP seminar at Vancouver?

#157 5 years ago

Good thing pinside didn’t exist in the DMD era.

“A game about catching fish? Lame! A game about rafting? RIP Bally Williams! Why can’t they get the cool themes like Data East?? I’m a marketing expert!”

#158 5 years ago

Another unlicensed theme, awesome.

#159 5 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Boobs and booze.
That's not getting past a lot of wives. Good luck getting this in your basement married dudes.

No problem.

May be a cultural difference as well but I'm not allowed to buy Iron Maiden because of the Eddies, some with any Monster-Theme or shown violence.

Wasn't allowed to buy a House of the Dead Arcade Cab as well.

Same wife plays Rumble Roses XX with me.

rumble-roses-xx-20060125064357853-000 (resized).jpgrumble-roses-xx-20060125064357853-000 (resized).jpg
#160 5 years ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

Wasn't allowed to

Oh please, grow some balls.

#161 5 years ago

Anybody else like their beer on tap with a little head? Oktoberfest could be fun and interesting.

A3CEE036-AF24-489E-BF4C-7B26F08A585E (resized).jpegA3CEE036-AF24-489E-BF4C-7B26F08A585E (resized).jpeg

#162 5 years ago
Quoted from Msch:

Not exactly sure what you’re talking about, the first game bombed.

Not around here it didn't. It regularly earns as much or more than Iron Maiden on route.

#163 5 years ago
Quoted from wolfemaaan:

As long as they include the leg slap and chicken dance I’m in
[quoted image]

While I can confirm the Schuhplattler to be tradition in some parts of Germany and Austria, I assure you: the chicken dance is not.

#164 5 years ago
Quoted from ezelljon:

But wait, there's more! "A pinball machine machine about road construction?! I HATE road construction. Why would I want a game like that."

And the Alphanumeric era!

"A game about building a lady robot in space?" "Who would ever want a game about a talking doll at a carnival?! Good luck getting that one in your gamerooms..." "Why would they ever consider building a pinball machine about driving around in a taxi all day? I couldn't think of a worse theme. They're setting themselves up for failure."

#165 5 years ago
Quoted from Msch:

They won’t sell. The last game sucked.

That must be why they outgrew their factory and are moving to a bigger facility.

LTG : )

#166 5 years ago
Quoted from konjurer:

Where is your data for that bold claim? Compared to the other boutiques API has performed quite well.

Don't feed the troll.

#167 5 years ago
Quoted from mbaumle:

But wait, there's more! "A pinball machine machine about road construction?! I HATE road construction. Why would I want a game like that."
And the Alphanumeric era!
"A game about building a lady robot in space?" "Who would ever want a game about a talking doll at a carnival?! Good luck getting that one in your gamerooms..." "Why would they ever consider building a pinball machine about driving around in a taxi all day? I couldn't think of a worse theme. They're setting themselves up for failure."

All good points. Lately we've grown accustomed to safe themes with predictable features. Lots of room for creativity here. It might be awesome.

#168 5 years ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

I just hope they choose another artstyle then they did with Houdini.

I think the art is fantastic! A steampunk style wouldn't work with Oktoberfest. But put these girls in Dirndls and give them liters of beer...

houdini_ap_slingshot_plastics_mop (resized).pnghoudini_ap_slingshot_plastics_mop (resized).png
#169 5 years ago

The theme is a turnoff for me, but it seems silly to get overly worked up over judging a game without seeing it. I doubt I'd have been hype about a white water rafting game either in a vacuum, and I miss having a White Water sometimes, great game. Let's see it first.

As one of the resident grumps who's always bitching about licenses and original themes though, this is just another license to me. Familiar name with familiar images and stories attached to it already. The whole point of not wanting a license is missing the feeling of being surprised, of seeing something new and unexpected, getting to explore someone's original thoughts.

Houdini and Oktoberfest are just 'cheap' licenses, they're known items already just from seeing the name. That's fine, but it's not the original content I'd personally wish for.

End of the day it's the game that counts. Maybe as Rarehero suggested it will be full of good humor at least.

#170 5 years ago
Quoted from konjurer:

How many games did they sell? I sure see a lot of stern pros on location...

#171 5 years ago
Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

Don't feed the troll.

The same troll who “predicted” the colapse and disposal of heighway. The same troll who know$ American pinball distributors, to say. The game bombed, it’s not fun to shoot. It is made pretty well, but in no way would it be considered successful as far as sales go. You pinball people are so protective of these companies. They make bad decisions, they go out of business. AP is no different.

#172 5 years ago
Quoted from Msch:

I have no idea how many the sold, but you can compare any other manufacturer to Stern and say the same thing....

#173 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

[quoted image]

I guess just posting a Blazing Saddles pic was WAY too obvious...

#174 5 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

I guess just posting a Blazing Saddles pic was WAY too obvious...

I'm sure the dialog was exactly the same at Oktoberfest, as it was in the movie.

#175 5 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Boobs and booze.

You must have some lame-ass married dudes for friends, my man.....with some lame-ass wives...

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#176 5 years ago
Quoted from Msch:

The same troll who “predicted” the colapse and disposal of heighway. The same troll who know$ American pinball distributors, to say. The game bombed, it’s not fun to shoot. It is made pretty well, but in no way would it be considered successful as far as sales go. You pinball people are so protective of these companies. They make bad decisions, they go out of business. AP is no different.

I wanted one badly, I've played it now about 30X and no way I'm buying it. Its a beautiful clunker.

#177 5 years ago

Marketing suggestion. AP to build and put 1000 Oktoberfest pinballs in public at big festivals. One game at the front of every beer stand. Pay $10 for mug of local brew plus $1 token for the next game on Oktoberfest pinball. At the end of the month, you should have collected enough to pay for the machines and then can sell them at half price to Pubs to operate.

#178 5 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Boobs and booze.

You need a new wife.

#179 5 years ago
Quoted from FlashDaddy:

Also a lot of people are saying that "other people", not them of course, don't know what Oktoberfest is. Really? I thought every city in the US and Canada over 100k people had some kind of Oktoberfest celebration locally. I think Seattle has three including one that draws maybe 10 or 20k visitors over the course of the event. I think you might be selling "other people" short here. I think it's nearly as well known as Mardi Gras.

I could careless about another comic book or movie theme. There is a lot of love for Oktoberfest. This could be a great theme. Every city I've lived in has a big Oktoberfest event in the fall. American as hot dogs and apple pie. I feel good about an Oktoberfest theme - has unlimited potential for good or bad implementation. I'm rooting for API to knock this outta the park.

#180 5 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Common, really. I bet what 95% of women read magazines, watch shows and commercials on TV that are 10x-20x worse (by any measure) than a pinball machine with some steins of high quality beer and some curvy, beer-serving women.

#181 5 years ago

This may be a terrible theme, but at least its not Dialed In. I look forward to trying it.

#182 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

I'm sure the dialog was exactly the same at Oktoberfest, as it was in the movie.

Oh, I'm VERY familiar with the movie, lol. Madeline Kahn was great in so many Mel Brooks movies..

#183 5 years ago
Quoted from Msch:

You're the one claiming it was a bomb. By what real measure is Houdini a bomb?

Your Stern argument is a dumb argument. Stern owns the market and has been in business decades. Of course there is going to be more Stern Pros on location. Are you seriously comparing Stern sales to API, a company has only had 1 game out for 8 months?

#184 5 years ago
Quoted from konjurer:

Oktoberfest.........American as hot dogs and apple pie.

Yep, every American Kalender shows Oktoberfest as a holiday.

Most larger companies even give Americans those weeks off to celebrate, but that does get subtracted from the mandatory 8 weeks of yearly vacation time.

American teens love the 16 year old drinking age.

Free admission is always an American tradition.

Wait, where's my bun???

food-at-oktoberfest (resized).jpgfood-at-oktoberfest (resized).jpg
#185 5 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Boobs and booze.

Hopefully not! I’d like to think most women who are cool enough to at least tolerate (if not enjoy) pinball machines in the home are probably also cool enough to recognize that a tongue-in-cheek game theme poses no threat to the marriage. Also, we married dudes love our beautiful brides a hell of a lot more than pinball, so no big loss either way!

#186 5 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Boobs and booze.

>> You need a new wife.

Naw, you just need to tell her twice ( - ;

#187 5 years ago

I love Oktoberfestevil hopefully it’s fun

#188 5 years ago
Quoted from ezelljon:

“A game about catching fish? Lame! A game about rafting? RIP Bally Williams! Why can’t they get the cool themes like Data East?? I’m a marketing expert!”

So true. So many great games of the past have questionable themes. Most of my favorite games are on quirky themes or bad movies. Everyone can name at least one terrible playing game that has a great theme. Looking at all the posted pics, sure looks a fun theme.

#189 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

As one of the resident grumps who's always bitching about licenses and original themes though, this is just another license to me. Familiar name with familiar images and stories attached to it already.

Classic Aurich; never enough.
If fucking OktoberFest is "too familiar" to you and "just another license" what the hell isn't?

Oh wait..you meant the fonts?

a (resized).pnga (resized).png
#190 5 years ago
Quoted from Hop-Pac:

I think the art is fantastic! A steampunk style wouldn't work with Oktoberfest. But put these girls in Dirndls and give them liters of beer...
[quoted image]

I like the girls but the outline/ contour on this slings (and every insert for example) reminds me of early photoshop days (fill with pattern then Layereffects - inward shadow). Just one plain color would be so much better. And whats with that black asphalt pattern in the background?

Granted you don't notice such things when playing and the game altogether looks great. I want one.
But compared to what the competition does recently the art falls a bit flat for me.

#191 5 years ago

If anyone wants a loaded Houdini mine is for sale.

#192 5 years ago

Like all of pinball, it will boil down to how much fun it is to play. If it’s fun then it’s a hit, if it sucks to play then it’s a Bomb regardless of theme. For example, I’d rather play Dialed in all day long vs Star Wars..........

#193 5 years ago

Oh I can see it now..... Accordion theme music, shootin balls into a giant beer mug! I already have a couple of pins with beer. Champion Pub and CCC. Maybe they can have some cool interactive pub videos. But they can't use Multi Brawl and Drunk Multi Ball, that's already taken!

#194 5 years ago
Quoted from EricHadley:

For example, I’d rather play Dialed in all day long vs Star Wars..........

I'd bet most people that actually played both agree (I do!), but I'm pretty sure Star Wars sells better notheless.

#195 5 years ago

Cheers!

3615DFCA-F526-4BFD-8F83-BF166A221083 (resized).png3615DFCA-F526-4BFD-8F83-BF166A221083 (resized).png
#196 5 years ago
Quoted from Msch:

Great run American pinball. Sorry to see you make bad decisions that will put you out of business.

Oh man a traveler from the future! Hey, which stocks should I invest in?!?!

#197 5 years ago
Quoted from whthrs166:

Oh I can see it now..... Accordion theme music, shootin balls into a giant beer mug! I already have a couple of pins with beer. Champion Pub and CCC. Maybe they can have some cool interactive pub videos. But they can't use Multi Brawl and Drunk Multi Ball, that's already taken!

Wait Champion Pub has beer? I dont have one, where the beer mode?

#198 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Wait Champion Pub has beer? I dont have one, where the beer mode?

Its not a very fun game. In a barcade every once in awhile, but to own. Gets old fast.

#199 5 years ago

i think the theme is a good one. it's different. just about everything today is licensed. beer, pretzels, dancing, music, German partying, wiener dog racing? it should be a fun theme.

#200 5 years ago
Quoted from zaki:

wiener dog racing?

If it has wiener dog racing, it's going to be great !

Now we're talking. Go American Pinball go !

LTG : )

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 39.99
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation
Decorations
$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com
Toys/Add-ons
$ 140.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Shooter rods
Machine - For Sale
Wallingford, CT
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 11.99
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation
Decorations
$ 7,795.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
Pinball Machine
$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation
Rubber/Silicone
$ 49.99
There are 4,992 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 100.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/joe-balcer-confirms-oktoberfest-as-american-pinbals-next-pin/page/4?hl=trunchbull and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.