(Topic ID: 224963)

Joe Balcer confirms Oktoberfest as American Pinball's next pin.

By PismoArcade

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 4,992 posts
  • 466 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Ferret
  • Topic is favorited by 79 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

8880f5e6998fb0663ff4a9a77f40c92eb6c125f2 (resized).png
okt (resized).jpg
59547925-ED73-4D13-9C0B-C0B4DB7F1F2C (resized).jpeg
20210418_173000 (resized).jpg
IMG_8199 (resized).jpg
20211127_232248 (resized).jpg
BLKFRIDAY2021 (1) (resized).png
16341706819071145026220657450351 (resized).jpg
AAAABWnlUYQGnwPYrDFi3t2ZJg8xDmhdqB2hGmDLTPnpLg4SjPq15X8P8IAl66bSXZXeQjCVgv9i_WrsIbMEvcUa9pH863X- (resized).jpg
20211006_190939 (resized).jpg
47cc5c7a51600f42dccc5022b9550eca8025c861 (resized).jpg
IMG_7361 (resized).jpg
IMG_7362 (resized).jpg
Okt upgraded coil stop - blue = new (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
20210620_160449 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 4,992 posts in this topic. You are on page 47 of 100.
#2301 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

How have I not heard this one?! Devil’s advocate: I do think the scoring page as-is is helpful because it tells you other ways in which you can get points which may not altogether be obvious or which you may not always remember

Maybe that is why I like that one because it comes up only so often. It is the snarky ones we always hear that become irritating. Maybe a deeper comment set would help .

The scoring page is helpful but I have to explain to people that those minuscule points don't matter and that stage illusions and multiballs are how you score.

#2302 5 years ago
Quoted from PinPatch:

Lowest score of the day should get the "participation trophy" as a sarcastic award.

I say we get rid of scores all together!. Seriously when did the "men" in this country start becoming such wimps!

#2303 5 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

I say we get rid of scores all together!. Seriously when did the "men" in this country start becoming such wimps!

What did you say about my mama...... Coach, can I Hulk Smash him?

Just kidding

Wouldn't getting rid of the scores be the opposite of manly and be what's going on now a days with the "Everyone Wins" and "Participation trophies" for everyone mentality.

The biggest problem with no scores is how would someone win at Dollar Games?

#2304 5 years ago
Quoted from BertoDRINK1:

how would someone win at Dollar Games?

Play for knocks? If they havent removed them for cost savings... wait, nix that, they already have.

#2305 5 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

The 14 tent modes are each very different a far as what shots are needed (mode shots have inserts lit as Blue). It was a goal to be sure we leveraged all the different parts of the playfield in the modes. There is quite a variety . . .
Ring Toss is about hitting the targets on the Oktober and fest target banks, alternating one side from the other
Stein Race, which is one handed play, starts with several shots lit, but if you shoot a shot already made (shows red), then you spill beer and the point value reduces.
Chugging -- a sequence of shots, first a two shots sequence to beat Inga, then a three shot sequence to beat Otto. And then a more difficult sequence in the re-match.
Looper, is about shooting the left ramp that feeds the coaster
Juggler is an add-a-ball, starts with two balls, then a sequence of shots to complete that adds another and then another series to add one more
Target Shooting is shooting a shifting set of lights on the PROST target bank in the middle of the playfield.
Duck Hunting hitting the four ducks targets around the playfield, can't hit the same one twice in a row
Rockin Express -- spinner scores, shoot lit orbit to increase value
Rotor -- shots lit one at time, moving left to right and then back again
Füd Frenzy -- should be self explanatory
Bumper Cars -- shoot pops and slings
Sky slide -- knock down drop target, shoot the vuk before it times out and target comes back up
Tap-it -- Video mode
All modes have a goal to meet to get the 'win' (tent on playfield will then show up as Green), if you don't win, you can play the mode again (shows as yellow) and it will resume where you left off. A 'beer colored' tent on the playfield means you have the stein that boosts it, but have not yet played it. The Tent you are currently in shows Blue. Play all 13 to get to the 14 tent, Flipper Meister (available soon)

They were a casualty of budget issues, but I believe they will be available for purchase.

OK back to Oktoberfest the pin

The Arcade bar in Macon GA i helped in the direction of Oktoberfest has confirmed the purchase with the perfect inaugural event a weekend Beer Festival. I am going to help run the single pin tournament so looking for some ideas for fun ways to get passers by's to stop and play. They have partnered with the local breweries to get some great prizes for every hour give aways from 3-11pm April 26th.

We'll start with simple high score chase style of course.
Can the pin be set to the one handed play only at any time? Would love to do an hour or so of just that.
Possibly a Pin Golf type hour or so also with a few goals, not sure which objectives would be the best for that yet. Suggestions would be great.

Any other Ideas would be greatly appreciated also. This is the Perfect event for this pin a Beer Festival at a Arcade Bar shouldn't be hard to get people to play it.

#2306 5 years ago
Quoted from BertoDRINK1:

Can the pin be set to the one handed play only at any time? Would love to do an hour or so of just that.

Sure can, it's an operator adjustment.

Quoted from BertoDRINK1:

Possibly a Pin Golf type hour or so also with a few goals, not sure which objectives would be the best for that yet. Suggestions would be great.

Hmmm, I haven't play-tested any of these for PinGolf, but here are a few ideas...

- Win a tent feature (potentially easy)
- Start a Food Stand feature (easy)
- Start Roller Coaster Multiball (medium)
- Get 100 calories from the Food Stand (medium-hard; tweakable by adjusting that number)
- Collect 5 steins (medium-hard)
- Start Duck Derby (hard, though can be made easier via operator adjustment)

Enjoy!

#2307 5 years ago

Od love to see a duck hunt vid modes.
Left right aim with flipper buttons and fire with third flipper button.

#2308 5 years ago

Can we get some kind of update so that people start arguing again?

#2309 5 years ago
Quoted from Aniraf:

This should start an argument.... looks fun cant wait to play one. Ap has raised the bar again with a jam packed playfield for the money.
Ok shouldn't take long now. Lol.

#2310 5 years ago
Quoted from Aniraf:

We are testing out a change to the right 180 ramp designed to reduce rejects and so far pretty pleased with it. Would be retrofitted to the games already built. Possible this change will be on the machines at TPF.

Today I'll be working on putting in more voice calls and testing out a change Ferret checked in at 3AM for the Beer Barrel and Coaster locks where there is now an adjustment to leave balls locked between games. For beer barrel where you can steal locks, this will increase frequency of Beer Barrel Multiball, for Coaster, although you can't steal locks, leaving them in the lock will reduce the time you need to wait between games. There are some downsides to leaving the coaster locks as it will reduce skill shot opportunities (and you don't get see the balls rolling down the coaster at end of game).

Also added support for "non family friendly" voice calls and started to drop a couple of them in (primarily for testing) as well some modifications to Steins moving one to 'non family friendly' mode.

Now that last item should give you something to argue about.

#2311 5 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

We are testing out a change to the right 180 ramp designed to reduce rejects and so far pretty pleased with it. Would be retrofitted to the games already built. Possible this change will be on the machines at TPF.

Very happy to hear about this as it was the only shot on the game I thought needed to be re-worked, I had a lot of rejects from it.

#2312 5 years ago
Quoted from Platypus:

The insults do become irritating, especially when it wasn't your fault. I have been meaning to come up with a list of compliments that encourage players.
Like "concentrate and you will secede" or "We want you back on stage", "Learn to focus"

I'm hoping for a pinball machine that will give me a participation sticker after I suck at playing it, so I can feel better about myself...

#2313 5 years ago
Quoted from Billy16:

I'm hoping for a pinball machine that will give me a participation sticker after I suck at playing it, so I can feel better about myself...

You might be able to find a pin set up for redemption and you would likely get at least one ticket, even if you suck.

#2314 5 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

Great news!

#2315 5 years ago

Looks like fun. Can’t wait to play it!

#2316 5 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

Today I'll be working on putting in more voice calls and testing out a change Ferret checked in at 3AM for the Beer Barrel and Coaster locks where there is now an adjustment to leave balls locked between games. For beer barrel where you can steal locks, this will increase frequency of Beer Barrel Multiball, for Coaster, although you can't steal locks, leaving them in the lock will reduce the time you need to wait between games. There are some downsides to leaving the coaster locks as it will reduce skill shot opportunities (and you don't get see the balls rolling down the coaster at end of game).
Also added support for "non family friendly" voice calls and started to drop a couple of them in (primarily for testing) as well some modifications to Steins moving one to 'non family friendly' mode.

Sounds awesome! Thanks for the update.

#2317 5 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

New Houdini code at TPF?

#2319 5 years ago

Looking and sounding good - love the new lighting effects!

Modes look like great fun too!

#2320 5 years ago

We’ve still got quite a bit more coming in the lighting department, so it’ll only get better.

#2321 5 years ago
Quoted from Ferret:

We’ve still got quite a bit more coming in the lighting department, so it’ll only get better.

Was the music way down on the stream on purpose? It was really hard to hear if there were any improvements.

#2322 5 years ago

Very strong presence for Oktoberfest with you and Marty tonight Josh! I really loved the amber beer GI lighting post ball drain. Things are really coming together nicely!

#2323 5 years ago

I need more updates from TPF!!

#2324 5 years ago

I just put up 2891000 and had a shot at starting all the tents... but the line was getting grumpy

#2325 5 years ago

Pingrapphix was ahead of the game and already has animated lighting versions of the topper and interior art blades.

Some different styles too.

Sober made is hhhaaarrrdddd

#2327 5 years ago
Quoted from Ferret:

But hilarious.

Hardlarious? New term for the flyer.

#2328 5 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

I need more updates from TPF!!

Kaneda’s podcast has 2 updates from the show.

#2329 5 years ago

I trust lots of people got to play Oktoberfest this weekend and enjoyed it. If you have any questions about the game, please don’t hesitate to ask here, we’ll do our best to answer... you don’t have to get info from a podcast, you can go straight to the source.

#2330 5 years ago

Really great game. Even better in person than I was expecting. This one has now officially moved to the top of the new game list. Just need to wrangle the $$. Great job API!

#2331 5 years ago

Will the games ship with the pinball on tap topper or is that sold separately?

#2332 5 years ago

My wife and I played several games of OKTOBERFEST at TPF and we absolutely lovedit. Loads of fun and challenges that will keep the game fresh for a long time. We think it also will appeal greatly to our non pinball oriented friends and family (i.e., "bashers"). It has to be on our short list for certain. Also, we want to commend the AP team for their fine seminar which included a lot of insights into game play and, complimentary good food and drink; a job well done by AP.

#2333 5 years ago

This was the new game of the show for me. Kept coming back to play it. My only gripe was the shot from upper right flipper. Very difficult to make the ramp shot to lock ball. (Probably already mentioned in this thread)

#2334 5 years ago

I want to thank all of you that came to our seminar and/or played Oktoberfest. Seven machines played non stop with lines from before the show opened until it closed all three days. Was great seeing so many smiling faces when folks played and watch them get right back in line.

Really enjoyed getting to talk to so many of you.

Getting ready to board our flight to head home and then I think I’ll sleep for a good 12 hours.

#2335 5 years ago

This game has so much potential, and when I mean potential, I mean I am such a shitty player it would have been nice to expose more of the code for this amazing layout! These things were going 15 hours straight with a wait at every one that never let up. I can't imagine how fun they will be in a home environment with crisp fresh coils. Nice job boys!

#2336 5 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

I want to thank all of you that came to our seminar and/or played Oktoberfest. Seven machines played non stop with lines from before the show opened until it closed all three days. Was great seeing so many smiling faces when folks played and watch them get right back in line.
Really enjoyed getting to talk to so many of you.
Getting ready to board our flight to head home and then I think I’ll sleep for a good 12 hours.

Any idea if the seminar was recorded and be put up at some point?

#2337 5 years ago
Quoted from BertoDRINK1:

Any idea if the seminar was recorded and be put up at some point?

Should be available in the TPF Twitch recent streams.

https://m.twitch.tv/search?term=texas%20pinball%20festival&category=vods

#2338 5 years ago

I played it a bunch at TPF. I really enjoyed it. The artwork and theme are kinda misses for me personally but it is really fun to play. I won't be buying it but I hope some of my collector friends / local pinball places do.

Question:
Both the left ramps are really hard to hit. The yellow upper flipper shot is doable but you have to hit it just right. The far left ramp (the roller coaster) rejects too much. I am not a great player but I was playing with some of the best pinball players in the world (3 guys who finished top 20 in the tournament) and even for them the ramp is so steep it rejects 3 out of 4 shots or more. Is that the design intention for this ramp? Were the flippers just weak?

#2339 5 years ago
Quoted from oohlou:

I played it a bunch at TPF. I really enjoyed it. The artwork and theme are kinda misses for me personally but it is really fun to play. I won't be buying it but I hope some of my collector friends / local pinball places do.
Question:
Both the left ramps are really hard to hit. The yellow upper flipper shot is doable but you have to hit it just right. The far left ramp (the roller coaster) rejects too much. I am not a great player but I was playing with some of the best pinball players in the world (3 guys who finished top 20 in the tournament) and even for them the ramp is so steep it rejects 3 out of 4 shots or more. Is that the design intention for this ramp? Were the flippers just weak?

Probably just a setup issue with the game you were on. The left ramp is pretty easy to hit with a clean shot. I locked 3 balls right in a row and started MB for instance on a game I was playing. The barrel ramp is harder.. but gets easier once you get some practice. Think of it like the warp ramp on STTNG.. difficult, but trainable to get better.

#2340 5 years ago

Could be a setup thing, conference hall power, or even just the impact of three days of non-stop play on the flipper coils. Left (roller coaster) ramp isn't too hard to hit, and is (amazingly) even backhandable. And fortunately, failed shots rarely go SDTM. Upper (beer barrel) ramp is, as flynnibus mentions, tougher -- my personal analogy is Whirlwind's Millions Plus ramp, but pick any comparison. My opinion varies on whether it's easier as a combo from a left orbit shot, or from the slower/more predictable pace of MagNab'ing it... I imagine each player will have to discover what works best for them.

#2341 5 years ago
Quoted from oohlou:

Question:

I've noticed a lot of rejections and I think I saw a post, above, relating to attempts to solve this issue. Anyone know if this is going to be fixed?

#2342 5 years ago

Not sure which game you played, there was one not in out booth that had the back legs up way, way too high, and that was creating a variety of issues, including shots up the coaster ramp as well as the ball flying off the sky slide. The power was then raised up high, which ultimately will lead to some hot coils after hours of consecutive play. Once we saw this and lowered it back down it was playing correctly.

#2343 5 years ago

I had fun playing the games but being one of the most popular table in the hall, I only played a few rounds. The tent modes are fun. I couldn’t hear of the music.
Can’t wait to play in a quiet setting

#2344 5 years ago
Quoted from Platypus:

I had fun playing the games but being one of the most popular table in the hall, I only played a few rounds. The tent modes are fun. I couldn’t hear of the music.
Can’t wait to play in a quiet setting

I *think* the music was turned down more than usual. None of the streams I saw of it had the music loud enough to hear. Likely on purpose since it got so much criticism. Hopefully it's being fixed.

#2345 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

I *think* the music was turned down more than usual. None of the streams I saw of it had the music loud enough to hear. Likely on purpose since it got so much criticism. Hopefully it's being fixed.

we did not lower the music down, the volume in the room makes it very hard to hear the music, even when playing. In addition, the microphone setup was never going to get good game sound.  I had hoped to pull the sound right off the system, but that was not compatible with the rest of the setup. Even those who played the game will tell you its as very hard to hear. I will look to find a way to get you all a better sense of the sound of the game with game play.

#2346 5 years ago

You could invite Buffalo pinball or DeadFlip for a streaming session in the factory?

#2347 5 years ago
Quoted from Edenecho:

You could invite Buffalo pinball

Please don’t. The one dude was a total douch bag on the Houdini review - he played one ball and walked away deciding it was terrible. Hardly a fair review of the game.

#2348 5 years ago
Quoted from konjurer:

Please don’t. The one dude was a total douch bag on the Houdini review - he played one ball and walked away deciding it was terrible. Hardly a fair review of the game.

Nick Lane's subjective review of Houdini did not go unnoticed by AP.

#2349 5 years ago

NO Buffalo, its just bad meat.

#2350 5 years ago
Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

Nick Lane's subjective review of Houdini did not go unnoticed by AP.

Can’t say I’ve ever completely removed any reference to a podcast/artist/personality as fast as I did when that crap went down. Way to get swept up by the groupthink and expose oneself as a child

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation
Rubber/Silicone
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 49.99
$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com
Toys/Add-ons
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 39.99
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation
Decorations
$ 8,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation
Pinball Machine
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
Other
There are 4,992 posts in this topic. You are on page 47 of 100.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/joe-balcer-confirms-oktoberfest-as-american-pinbals-next-pin/page/47?hl=acaciolo and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.