(Topic ID: 224963)

Joe Balcer confirms Oktoberfest as American Pinball's next pin.

By PismoArcade

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 4,992 posts
  • 466 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Ferret
  • Topic is favorited by 79 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

8880f5e6998fb0663ff4a9a77f40c92eb6c125f2 (resized).png
okt (resized).jpg
59547925-ED73-4D13-9C0B-C0B4DB7F1F2C (resized).jpeg
20210418_173000 (resized).jpg
IMG_8199 (resized).jpg
20211127_232248 (resized).jpg
BLKFRIDAY2021 (1) (resized).png
16341706819071145026220657450351 (resized).jpg
AAAABWnlUYQGnwPYrDFi3t2ZJg8xDmhdqB2hGmDLTPnpLg4SjPq15X8P8IAl66bSXZXeQjCVgv9i_WrsIbMEvcUa9pH863X- (resized).jpg
20211006_190939 (resized).jpg
47cc5c7a51600f42dccc5022b9550eca8025c861 (resized).jpg
IMG_7361 (resized).jpg
IMG_7362 (resized).jpg
Okt upgraded coil stop - blue = new (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
20210620_160449 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 4,992 posts in this topic. You are on page 46 of 100.
#2251 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

My question is, how slow of a healer is this monkey? That bandage has been on a long time...

Could be a long time. Testicles don't grow back overnight.

LTG : )

#2252 5 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Houdini got him again!

#2253 5 years ago

The most interesting thing posted on here recently is the picture of the API letterhead with Mr Monkey and his missing gonads out front and, unfortunately, center. Ok, now I can see why API fought so hard to keep Mr. Gonadious Deliquus, Esquire on Oktoberfest. To me, it would seem kind of odd choosing an altered monkey as your company mascot, but I guess cows were already taken.

#2254 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Go the Zingy Bingy route and make them boobs.

Boobs in the colors of oktober leaves? You sir have a very creative mind!!

#2255 5 years ago

Hey the monkey did make it on the backglass!

#2256 5 years ago
Quoted from ZMeny:

Hey the monkey did make it on the backglass!

Post 2208 ( or check picture gallery at top of thread ) no.

#2257 5 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

For those in the Chicago area who want to get some time on Oktoberfest, you can stop by our offices next week, Monday through Wednesday from 5pm to 8pm to help us with play testing.

You can find our address on our website: www.american-pinball.com

One hour left today and three hours tomorrow. Get over there now.

#2258 5 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

I would hope the incision would heal, though. You might pack a light sack but not need a bandage the rest of your life.

#2259 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

I would hope the incision would heal, though. You might pack a light sack but not need a bandage the rest of your life.

Maybe he has healed. And since he doesn't wear pants. Maybe the band aids hide what's missing.

Could be very embarrassing for a monkey.

All the other monkeys laughing at him. Won't let him play in any monkey games. Terrible. Simply terrible.

#2260 5 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Upon closer inspection, he’s on there. Got to know where to look

#2261 5 years ago
Quoted from ZMeny:

Well I'll be. I didn't know he could do that.

#2262 5 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Sorry. I was wrong.

#2263 5 years ago
Quoted from ZMeny:

Haha I see the little booger

#2264 5 years ago

I'll be flipping Oktoberfest at home in 2 weeks. Super excited about this game!

#2265 5 years ago

I enjoyed flipping Octoberfest for a couple hours tonight at American Pinball. Much thanks to Josh, Barry, and Nirmal for hosting these evening events. At one point I was in Josh's office playing a prototype while he sat at his desk working on the code. You can't get much more "behind the scenes" than that! First impressions: The game is fun and I love the ducks. It's only going to get better as more variety is added to the music and light shows. The German accents were cracking me up. My biggest criticism would be that the only way I was getting multiball was by selecting the Juggling mode. I'll cite Herman in the Munsters as an example of setting a low bar for casual players to earn an easy multiball. Overall, I liked what I saw and I'm looking forward to whatever comes next.

#2266 5 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

How am I going to beat people if you give them so many of the scoring tips? Plenty more that you did not mention, but still.
But I'll share one more, you want be to sure to being using lane change for TENT letters while in a mode, you will figure out why when you play.
Also ... Ducks!!

I was thinking earlier, I know a pin is a total design package of team pride for all of you working on it at length, but in the same sense in a way to allow the original design to exist, as well as people's desires for different music selections, could an option be coded in for random or direct playlist selection to be added by the home user via the usb stick? Allow the original song selection to exist, and also an option to weave in Chicken Dance or more polka, Danish Death Metal, whathaveyou, via the main interface at startup or from within the menu system in the coin door?

#2267 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Go the Zingy Bingy route and make them boobs.

How much extra are you willing to pay for that . Do you want generic boobs or exact 3D molded boobs . Also there maybe engineering considerations that would require design changes to accommodate the wider lower breasts , and figuring all that takes time , which cost money . There is definitely costs involved in getting the bumper cars changed . I'd like to see it too , but if we're spending money I would rather see better animation and art direction on the big screen .

#2268 5 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

How much extra are you willing to pay for that . Do you want generic boobs or exact 3D molded boobs . Also there maybe engineering considerations that would require design changes to accommodate the wider lower breasts , and figuring all that takes time , which cost money . There is definitely costs involved in getting the bumper cars changed . I'd like to see it too , but if we're spending money I would rather see better animation and art direction on the big screen .

We clearly are on the same page.

#2269 5 years ago

Happy Birthday Joe !

And thank you for Octoberfest ! Looking good.

#2270 5 years ago

Now that I've slept on it, I realize rosh and Ferret addressed my biggest gripe about the Houdini code on Octoberfest and I hope they'll go back and do the same thing on Houdini. After a ball drains on Houdini, there's a long list of possible achievements showing how many of them were earned. If you had a short ball, you see a looooong list of zeros. That is so negative, I don't need to be reminded of how poorly I played. On Octoberfest, the list of achievements only shows what you accomplished. Positive reinforcement. No zeros shown. I earned a few steins and some ducks. Thank you Josh and Joe.

#2271 5 years ago
Quoted from balt:

Now that I've slept on it, I realize rosh addressed my biggest gripe about the Houdini code on Octoberfest and I hope he'll go back and do the same thing on Houdini. After a ball drains on Houdini, there's a long list of possible achievements showing how many of them were earned. If you had a short ball, you see a looooong list of zeros. That is so negative, I don't need to be reminded of how poorly I played. On Octoberfest, the list of achievements only shows what you accomplished. Positive reinforcement. No zeros shown. I earned a few steins and some ducks. Thank you Josh.

Yeah I think Josh called this the millennial bug. Now that's it's fixed, nothing but positive reinforcement and fifth place trophies for everyone! Haha

#2272 5 years ago
Quoted from balt:

On Octoberfest, the list of achievements only shows what you accomplished. Positive reinforcement. No zeros shown. I earned a few steins and some ducks. Thank you Josh.

You’re welcome.

On a related note, it’s currently possible to have zero bonus on Oktoberfest... in which case you get zero, along with a quick note that tents, steins, and ducks award bonus.

This may change later, we’ll probably give bonus for calories eaten too, and we do spot a few of those at start of game.

#2273 5 years ago
Quoted from arcadem:

So glad to hear that they might be available in the future. Though seemingly 'small' (no pun intended), they are a big part of the game's theme and overall appeal. I hope that you will also find a way to offer a great light up topper like the one you did for Houdini and invisiglass as options. It seems like you are well on your way to creating a great game.

If headless bumpercars are such a big part of the games attraction for you, I cant imagine how you will respond to any significant issues you may encounter. Anyway, have a great day!

#2274 5 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Yeah I think Josh called this the millennial bug. Now that's it's fixed, nothing but positive reinforcement and fifth place trophies for everyone! Haha

Well we do have 14 places on the high score table and each of the 14 tents has a high score entry, so . . .

Quoted from Ferret:

You’re welcome.
On a related note, it’s currently possible to have zero bonus on Oktoberfest... in which case you get zero, along with a quick note that tents, steins, and ducks award bonus.
This may change later, we’ll probably give bonus for calories eaten too, and we do spot a few of those at start of game.

But no insults for that zero bonus, Ferret thinks I insult people too much

#2275 5 years ago
Quoted from HighVoltage:

So are you saying this is a temporary disappearance? Or was this too difficult of an engineering problem for API to solve? Like JJP's concentric discs?
[quoted image]

I been watching/reading/lurking on this thread for a while and admit my interest and excitement has continued to grow with it's evolution. I finally have saved up enough to humbly share my 2 cents. The game has a fair amount of quality toys no doubt, and the bumper cars once seen, cannot be unseen. They really integrate well with everything and hope that they eventually become available. One idea, and it may be too late in the game(pun intended) but it appears if the i.d. of the wire form over the bumpers were 1" larger the need for re- engineering the bumper cars would be eliminated. It also appears that whole wire form is HUGE! So a rework might also be creating a 2 piece wire form, joined just above the "S" curves. Existing stock could be used/trimmed/saved for the lower part and a larger ring upper wire form with a connector created then joined w/ lower. Tho it would be difficult to make it as purdy a a single piece, it could still be done tastefully. Anyway, that's my 2 cents and I'm broke again. Really looking forward to playing this machine soon, but So Cal seems a bit removed from the action.

Thoughtful Disclaimer: I did not consider any monetary ramifications of implementing this idea, and there is no political agenda contained herein..

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#2276 5 years ago
Quoted from balt:

Now that I've slept on it, I realize rosh and ferret addressed my biggest gripe about the Houdini code on Octoberfest and I hope they'll go back and do the same thing on Houdini. After a ball drains on Houdini, there's a long list of possible achievements showing how many of them were earned. If you had a short ball, you see a looooong list of zeros. That is so negative, I don't need to be reminded of how poorly I played. On Octoberfest, the list of achievements only shows what you accomplished. Positive reinforcement. No zeros shown. I earned a few steins and some ducks. Thank you Josh and Joe.

This is weak sauce in my opinion, just like getting rid of the heckling for missed skill-shots. Next we'll have to go disable every "Play Better" call out in any S.R. game that has them.

#2277 5 years ago

I played a handful of games today at Pacman entertainment and I think the code is coming along really well. The animations have gotten a little better since expo. I was just having a very hard time hitting both the side ramp with the third flipper and the right ramp which is the 180 ramp. I got so many rejections on the 180° ramp I only actually made the shot a couple times which was super frustrating. Also the side ramp with the third flipper was extremely difficult to hit because of the angle. A few times I hit the side ramp correctly but it didn’t make it all the way up the ramp because of the flipper strength. ( I know the coil power can be adjusted).

I think the game has lots of great potential. I am hoping something can be done about the right ramp.

#2278 5 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

This is weak sauce in my opinion, just like getting rid of the heckling for missed skill-shots. Next we'll have to go disable every "Play Better" call out in any S.R. game that has them.

I wonder if that guy ever had a beer and talked shit with his buddies? His kid is for sure the millenials we all hate lol. I'd rather an adult theme like this was more brutal. As in, "You effing suck biotch , Play again!"

#2279 5 years ago

Way off topic here, but anybody know the first machine to insult the player? Comet maybe?

At any rate, keep the insults coming!

#2280 5 years ago

Black Knight laughing at you? Whoo-ha-ha...

#2281 5 years ago

Firepower destroys you.

#2282 5 years ago

Thinking about this, didn’t Gorgar taunt you “Gorgar, me beat you”?

#2283 5 years ago
Quoted from Bublehead:

Thinking about this, didn’t Gorgar taunght you “Gorgar, me beat you”?

Something like that. Or Me Got You.

#2284 5 years ago

Yeah, from moment one of making a pinball machine speak, wouldn’t you know it that the first use is to trash talk the player. lol

Also, Black Knight says a disparaging remark at the end of a game besides just laughing at you when you magna save and drain...

#2285 5 years ago

I do like the...
"And this is how way say goodbye in German..punch" IJPA
My boy always makes the slap movement at me!

#2286 5 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

I do like the...
"And this is how way say goodbye in German..slap" IJPA
My boy always makes the slap movement at me!

That's a punch.

#2287 5 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

Ferret thinks I insult people too much

The insults do become irritating, especially when it wasn't your fault. I have been meaning to come up with a list of compliments that encourage players.

Like "concentrate and you will secede" or "We want you back on stage", "Learn to focus"

#2288 5 years ago
Quoted from Platypus:

... I have been meaning to come up with a list of compliments that encourage players. Like "concentrate and you will secede" ...

I have to admit that Houdini has yet to make me want to secede.

#2289 5 years ago
Quoted from Platypus:

The insults do become irritating, especially when it wasn't your fault. I have been meaning to come up with a list of compliments that encourage players.
Like "concentrate and you will secede" or "We want you back on stage", "Learn to focus"

Man I think this is silly. I'm old school I guess, my football coach hit us with a car antenna and told us we sucked all the time and it was great and it made us Play Better. The taunting from Pinball machines is so low key how can you be offended by it?
What next you time the balls and give out millions of points the shorter your ball time just to be nice.
ESPN did this on Sports Science and there were better results from a meaner negative coach then from a nice positive coach.

Sorry but for me bring on the taunting.

#2290 5 years ago
Quoted from BertoDRINK1:

Man I think this is silly. I'm old school I guess, my football coach hit us with a car antenna and told us we sucked all the time and it was great and it made us Play Better. The taunting from Pinball machines is so low key how can you be offended by it?
What next you time the balls and give out millions of points the shorter your ball time just to be nice.
ESPN did this on Sports Science and there were better results from a meaner negative coach then from a nice positive coach.
Sorry but for me bring on the taunting.

You call that a post? I’ve seen better posts from a three year old. If I don’t see better posts next time you will be carrying a pinball machine up and down stadium stairs.

#2291 5 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

You call that a post? I’ve seen better posts from a three year old. If I don’t see better posts next time you will be carrying a pinball machine up and down stadium stairs.

LOL. I am picturing you in my head saying this

#2292 5 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

Yes Coach, Sorry Coach, I'll Play Better Coach

Waka Waka Waka

#2293 5 years ago
Quoted from Platypus:

Yeah, that wouldn't get irritating at all. Games should start handing out participation jackpots as well.

#2294 5 years ago

Negative reinforcement in games is great!

Like in AFM if you're in Martian Attack and you hit the scoop instead of the second from right Martian and he says "Haha missed me!"

#2295 5 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Negative reinforcement in games is great!
Like in AFM if you're in Martian Attack and you hit the scoop instead of the second from right Martian and he says "Haha missed me!"

I consider that as just more of a smart ass comment

My favorite in Houdini is when you miss completing escape from beyond and voice says "I guess you don't know how to spell escape"

#2296 5 years ago

Lowest score of the day should get the "participation trophy" as a sarcastic award.

#2297 5 years ago
Quoted from PinPatch:

Lowest score of the day should get the "participation trophy" as a sarcastic award.

Really, by that theory, you could just give it to every player at the end of every game unless they put their name up on a hi score table. Now don’t we all feel special?

#2298 5 years ago
Quoted from Platypus:

I consider that as just more of a smart ass comment
My favorite in Houdini is when you miss completing escape from beyond and voice says "I guess you don't know how to spell escape"

How have I not heard this one?! Devil’s advocate: I do think the scoring page as-is is helpful because it tells you other ways in which you can get points which may not altogether be obvious or which you may not always remember

#2299 5 years ago
Quoted from PinPatch:

200 Points for your special performance!

#2300 5 years ago
Quoted from Platypus:

200 Points for your special performance!

Dialed In already has this - if you plunge but hit nothing, you get a Participation Award. 500 whole points!!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

6,100 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Queen Creek, AZ
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 11.99
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 7,795.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 140.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

Playfield - Other
RavSpec

$ 8,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 7,899.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 129.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 39.99
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

$ 7,795.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

8,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dixon, CA
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 4,992 posts in this topic. You are on page 46 of 100.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/joe-balcer-confirms-oktoberfest-as-american-pinbals-next-pin/page/46?hl=lowbeau67 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.