(Topic ID: 224963)

Joe Balcer confirms Oktoberfest as American Pinball's next pin.

By PismoArcade

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 4,992 posts
  • 466 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Ferret
  • Topic is favorited by 79 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

8880f5e6998fb0663ff4a9a77f40c92eb6c125f2 (resized).png
okt (resized).jpg
59547925-ED73-4D13-9C0B-C0B4DB7F1F2C (resized).jpeg
20210418_173000 (resized).jpg
IMG_8199 (resized).jpg
20211127_232248 (resized).jpg
BLKFRIDAY2021 (1) (resized).png
16341706819071145026220657450351 (resized).jpg
AAAABWnlUYQGnwPYrDFi3t2ZJg8xDmhdqB2hGmDLTPnpLg4SjPq15X8P8IAl66bSXZXeQjCVgv9i_WrsIbMEvcUa9pH863X- (resized).jpg
20211006_190939 (resized).jpg
47cc5c7a51600f42dccc5022b9550eca8025c861 (resized).jpg
IMG_7361 (resized).jpg
IMG_7362 (resized).jpg
Okt upgraded coil stop - blue = new (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
20210620_160449 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 4,992 posts in this topic. You are on page 44 of 100.
#2151 5 years ago
Quoted from ronaldvg:

I think David Thiel is busy at Deeproot, not API.

Oops, my bad - thanks for the clarification! Kern is doing a bang job too!

#2152 5 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

They also choose to put the time and money into creating some of the highest quality animations, music, features, and rules in pinball. It shows in all of their games.

Without a doubt, I was just giving an explanation for what jawjaw probably meant with his comment. Time does = $$ though and we know that if not for investors bailing them out JJP would most likely be OOB.

#2153 5 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Did they fix Otto's broken wrist?[quoted image]

not sure this is absolutely anatomically correct but artistic license is ok with me as long as it pleases the eye.... from what I see I would fix the elbow being cut off by the sleeve on the blonde side first !

I will await pictures of the final backglass but the one shown has" areas that could be improved"

#2154 5 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

They also choose to put the time and money into creating some of the highest quality animations, music, features, and rules in pinball. It shows in all of their games.

Forget "some of" they are the LEADER in those areas. The only place they lag is in getting them made and on route reliability.

#2155 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballjj:

what is your point ? quick is better than good?

Take it as you want. I was just pointing out facts. JJP ought to have amazing games for the amount of development time and cost. I am more impressed with AP for cranking out two pretty nice looking games from scratch in such a short time and sell for a competitive price. I don't think quality translates to just pretty animations, music, and fancy lights. A good game can have a few warts.

#2156 5 years ago

If it hasn’t been posted before... Pac-Man Entertainment in Schaumburg, IL has an Oktoberfest on location! Looks to be production game possibly based on the backglass and cabinet.

0FAB8BC8-3AAF-46B7-8854-90CAAC6AF92C (resized).jpeg0FAB8BC8-3AAF-46B7-8854-90CAAC6AF92C (resized).jpeg
#2157 5 years ago
Quoted from TiltDis:

If it hasn’t been posted before... Pac-Man Entertainment in Schaumburg, IL has an Oktoberfest on location! Looks to be production game possibly based on the backglass and cabinet.
[quoted image]

Art blades and cabinet art are both different, so that's probably the real deal.

#2158 5 years ago
Quoted from TiltDis:

[quoted image]

Did they change the name of Level 257...? I was there a few years back for Pac-Man's 35th birthday.

The bumper car riders are still gone, and the American Pinball sticker is back to a white background.

Did you play it?

#2159 5 years ago
Quoted from TiltDis:

[quoted image]

Looks great!

#2160 5 years ago

It would be good if Otto on the playfield looked the same as Otto on the back glass

#2161 5 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

It would be good if Otto on the playfield looked the same as Otto on the back glass

How much extra are you willing to pay for that? On that one point I can suspend disbelief, but yes, it would be nice.

#2162 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

How much extra are you willing to pay for that? On that one point I can suspend disbelief, but yes, it would be nice.

Why would it cost any extra to make , you just mold it to look the way you want . Unless they just found some random head to use .

#2163 5 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

Why would it cost any extra to make , you just mold it to look the way you want . Unless they just found some random head to use .

Random dude's head with generic oktoberfest hat is cheaper than molding an exact 3D version of the dude from the backglass. Also there may be engineering considerations that would require design changes to accommodate the wider lower face of the backglass version. And figuring all that out takes time, which costs money. There's definitely costs involved in getting the face changed. I'd like to see it too, but if we're spending money, I'd rather see better animation and art direction on the big screen.

#2164 5 years ago

Looks like an opportunity for mod makers

#2165 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Random dude's head with generic oktoberfest hat is cheaper than molding an exact 3D version of the dude from the backglass. Also there may be engineering considerations that would require design changes to accommodate the wider lower face of the backglass version. And figuring all that out takes time, which costs money. There's definitely costs involved in getting the face changed. I'd like to see it too, but if we're spending money, I'd rather see better animation and art direction on the big screen.

How much could todd tuckeys face cost?

#2166 5 years ago
Quoted from Edenecho:

Quite a bit that's a lot of extra plastic , just kidding love the guy he makes great videos .

#2167 5 years ago

Side art looks less busy which is a good thing. I'm excited to actually shoot it.

#2168 5 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

Did they change the name of Level 257...? I was there a few years back for Pac-Man's 35th birthday.
The bumper car riders are still gone, and the American Pinball sticker is back to a white background.
Did you play it?

Yes! Level 257 changed their name and added some more redemption games, but other than that the place is the same.

I was able to get a couple games in on it and the animations have definetly improved! The flow and feel of the pin is still great and pretty similar to the expo proto pin. The callous and sounds were great and loud! The stock bass in this Oktoberfest is unreal. Can feel it from the ground! Overall, me and my dad had lots of fun playing all the new Sterns and classic titles there, but kept coming back to shoot on Oktoberfest! It’s a new game, yes, but it’s also a fun one!

#2169 5 years ago
Quoted from TiltDis:

Yes! Level 257 changed their name and added some more redemption games, but other than that the place is the same.
I was able to get a couple games in on it and the animations have definetly improved! The flow and feel of the pin is still great and pretty similar to the expo proto pin. The callous and sounds were great and loud! The stock bass in this Oktoberfest is unreal. Can feel it from the ground! Overall, me and my dad had lots of fun playing all the new Sterns and classic titles there, but kept coming back to shoot on Oktoberfest! It’s a new game, yes, but it’s also a fun one!

The game is fun and while not a lot of people there were playing pinball, Oktoberfest was getting some action. I was able to make the ramps but misseed one for the corkscrew when it was needed! As expected, everything has improved since the Expo reveal. They've done fun things with the knocker and various coils, turning them on and off during certain modes and such. If anyone is nearby, check it out there or take Josh up on his offer over at American Pinball.

It looks like Oktober in March!

have_a_drink (resized).jpghave_a_drink (resized).jpg

#2170 5 years ago

does anyone have insight on the tent modes? Watching some of the videos (admittedly not all of them) I kind of had the impression they were all just “hit the flashing lights” without much sequencial progression within the mode. Is there more going on?

#2171 5 years ago
Quoted from branlon8:

does anyone have insight on the tent modes? Watching some of the videos (admittedly not all of them) I kind of had the impression they were all just “hit the flashing lights” without much sequencial progression within the mode. Is there more going on?

Yes. They are all very different. Never felt the same to me. Hell, one you have to play one handed.

#2172 5 years ago
Quoted from Edenecho:

Well, for one, the licensing would be excessive.

#2173 5 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

If it in anyway realistically looked like the main Otto, it would be less cute, and bizarre looking I'd say, not in a gufaw gufaw way either.

Quoted from TiltDis:

Oooh thanks to you both for your impressions! Going to have to go nag over in the Helicon Brewing thread to see when we'll get one in there!

That's a shame about the name change. I guess Level 257 was too obtuse for people outside of arcade gaming.

#2174 5 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

For those in the Chicago area who want to get some time on Oktoberfest, you can stop by our offices next week, Monday through Wednesday from 5pm to 8pm to help us with play testing.

You can find our address on our website: www.american-pinball.com

Don't forget to check out Octoberfest at the factory if you can this Monday thru Wednesday.

LTG : )

#2175 5 years ago

Still no bumper car drivers. Bummer, I really liked them? Can anybody share the story on what happened to them? Thanks.

#2176 5 years ago
Quoted from jaytrem:

Still no bumper car drivers. Bummer, I really liked them? Can anybody share the story on what happened to them? Thanks.

I liked those as well. I don't know why, but I thought they were pretty cool. I'd buy them after market assuming there is a way to attach them easily.

#2177 5 years ago

Love to see Alternate plastics slings with these girls facing the camera!!!

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#2178 5 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Love to see Alternate plastics slings with these girls facing the camera!!!
[quoted image]

What's wrong with those ones?

#2179 5 years ago
Quoted from Aniraf:

I think he's talking about optional nekkid versions.

#2180 5 years ago
Quoted from Aniraf:

There Great! I love Black Hair and Redheads!

Quoted from PinMonk:

I think he's talking about optional nekkid versions.

No, still needs to be Family Friendly.
Guess I'll spell it out...I'd like to see front of the girls....umm there Chests! Trying to be tactful.

#2181 5 years ago
Quoted from Aniraf:

I liked those as well. I don't know why, but I thought they were pretty cool. I'd buy them after market assuming there is a way to attach them easily.

Seems like a Correct place to put some Monkeys driving them! Great way to bring him back safely....

#2182 5 years ago

Guess I'll spell it out...I'd like to see front of the girls....umm there chests! Trying to be tactful.

The fact that almost every woman in the artwork had their butts to camera was too consistent to not be deliberate.

My guess is butts are more "politically correct" (or more importantly wife-friendly) than boobs.

#2183 5 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

The fact that almost every woman in the artwork had their butts to camera was too consistent to not be deliberate.
My guess is butts are more "politically correct" (or more importantly wife-friendly) than boobs.

Dammit Ben we need more Boobs, I said it!
I also say you are dead on correct. These plastics would have been in development mid last year. We are all a little uptight in our #metoo society right now.
An alternate set needs to be sold in there Store after release. Not asking for flagrant tits in my face here. But there is a good reason Bally/Williams had all those big chested babes on pinball machines!! It puts quarters in the slots!! Was just at an arcade Sat that had Future Spa and Skateball, wow some great artwork.

#2184 5 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

The rollercoaster girl would like a word with you... She hearts Pinball

#2185 5 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

My wife doesn't care if there are boobs on the pinball machines. I hope this wasn't some effort to be "politically correct". In an ironic twist, it would be the opposite.

#2186 5 years ago
Quoted from branlon8:

The 14 tent modes are each very different a far as what shots are needed (mode shots have inserts lit as Blue). It was a goal to be sure we leveraged all the different parts of the playfield in the modes. There is quite a variety . . .

Ring Toss is about hitting the targets on the Oktober and fest target banks, alternating one side from the other

Stein Race, which is one handed play, starts with several shots lit, but if you shoot a shot already made (shows red), then you spill beer and the point value reduces.

Chugging -- a sequence of shots, first a two shots sequence to beat Inga, then a three shot sequence to beat Otto. And then a more difficult sequence in the re-match.

Looper, is about shooting the left ramp that feeds the coaster

Juggler is an add-a-ball, starts with two balls, then a sequence of shots to complete that adds another and then another series to add one more

Target Shooting is shooting a shifting set of lights on the PROST target bank in the middle of the playfield.

Duck Hunting hitting the four ducks targets around the playfield, can't hit the same one twice in a row

Rockin Express -- spinner scores, shoot lit orbit to increase value

Rotor -- shots lit one at time, moving left to right and then back again

Füd Frenzy -- should be self explanatory

Bumper Cars -- shoot pops and slings

Sky slide -- knock down drop target, shoot the vuk before it times out and target comes back up

Tap-it -- Video mode

All modes have a goal to meet to get the 'win' (tent on playfield will then show up as Green), if you don't win, you can play the mode again (shows as yellow) and it will resume where you left off. A 'beer colored' tent on the playfield means you have the stein that boosts it, but have not yet played it. The Tent you are currently in shows Blue. Play all 13 to get to the 14 tent, Flipper Meister (available soon)

Quoted from jaytrem:

They were a casualty of budget issues, but I believe they will be available for purchase.

#2187 5 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Don't forget to check out Octoberfest at the factory if you can this Monday thru Wednesday.

Is this at the Streamwood or the new Palatine location? Thanks.

#2188 5 years ago
Quoted from MajorDrainer:

Is this at the Streamwood or the new Palatine location? Thanks.

Streamwood

#2189 5 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

The 14 tent modes are each very different a far as what shots are needed (mode shots have inserts lit as Blue). It was a goal to be sure we leveraged all the different parts of the playfield in the modes. There is quite a variety . . .

Cool! Looks to be another wide-ranging collection of fun modes - one of the reasons I love Houdini!

Quoted from jaytrem:

Quoted from rosh:

They were a casualty of budget issues, but I believe they will be available for purchase.

Will there be an optional "adult oriented" set of bumper car riders offered as well?

#2190 5 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

They look great. Glad they might be available separately.

#2191 5 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

Thanks, that works for me. Bet they'll be a popular add on.

#2192 5 years ago

The elimination of the bumper car figures is a classic case of stupid economics. In quantities, how much could they have cost? $5 each? As for buying "mods" later, the cost will be undoubtedly higher, a needless added cost to the consumer. The MOD guys are the winners here and the OKT buyers and AP? Not so much. This sure casts a new light on AP's mindset, It is as tight as JJP was in not including a print copy of the manual for the POTC LE. For $7000 for a plain OKT and $9500 for a POTC LE, such items previously shown/provided are not too much to expect. WTF, if margins are that tight, add $15 to the price of the game and do it right! Really poor behavior by a company that is trying to create a name and a niche for itself.

#2193 5 years ago
Quoted from arcadem:

The elimination of the bumper car figures is a classic case of stupid economics. In quantities, how much could they have cost? $5 each? As for buying "mods" later, the cost will be undoubtedly higher, a needless added cost to the consumer. The MOD guys are the winners here and the OKT buyers and AP? Not so much. This sure casts a new light on AP's mindset, It is as tight as JJP was in not including a print copy of the manual for the POTC LE. For $7000 for a plain OKT and $9500 for a POTC LE, such items previously shown/provided are not too much to expect. WTF, if margins are that tight, add $15 to the price of the game and do it right! Really poor behavior by a company that is trying to create a name and a niche for itself.

Whoa dude. Chill. Everyone has their own little personal vendetta against API for leaving out or not spending money on this or that. Maybe they've saved the $5 and hired a better animator since everyone's bitching about animations.

Poor behavior? Really? That have to earn money at some point. Small features add up. Oktoberfest is already $400 over Houdini's MSRP and is almost priced higher that I can really afford for a NIB this year. APIs niche is a full featured game, packed with real toys. If you really need cheap plastic, non functional adornments at a premium price, go buy a Stern. I'd rather have cool mechanisms that really add to game play.

#2194 5 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

You really, REALLY need a Premium level machine option. Factory-installed art blades, invisiglass, shaker motor, EOS switches, knocker, cliffy protection (shooter lane and holes - you'd be the first, JJP just did holes), bumper car characters, matching face on playfield dude (okay, maybe not the last one, but you'd have at least one buyer down under with that) would be a hit with a good portion of the users.

You're leaving a fair amount of money on the table by not offering it. I understand and appreciate holding the line on pricing, but offering a Standard and a Premium will only fatten your bottom line and most of the parts you already have in-house sitting there, not making the money they could. Plus, there's still the Standard version that's always been there for people that only want that.

#2195 5 years ago
Quoted from arcadem:

In quantities, how much could they have cost?

Hand made by Matt at Back Alley Creations ? Quantity might not have mattered once you make them and hand paint them. And they'd have to withstand the pop bumper actions.

Main thing is three feet away, playing a game. Who cares.

If you like them for the aesthetics, the possibility of buying them later might happen. Or other mod makers might make some interesting variations too.

When building a game. Manufacturers have to make some hard decisions. And American Pinball knows best if the money needed to go elsewhere on or in the game.

Octoberfest is shaping up to be a lot of fun and a great game.

#2196 5 years ago

Lloyd, I understand your point. But, let's wait and see how much they will cost each individual buyer that still wants them. I will hazard a guess that if AP offered them as an add on item for even $50 per set, they would get a high take rate. And, I would also bet that a set as a mod will be at least $50 if not more. I just hope that AP does not nickle and dime other more important features and components. Could this be a harbinger of that? We shall see.

#2197 5 years ago
Quoted from arcadem:

Lloyd, I understand your point. But, let's wait and see how much they will cost each individual buyer that still wants them. I will hazard a guess that if AP offered them as an add on item for even $50 per set, they would get a high take rate. And, I would also bet that a set as a mod will be at least $50 if not more. I just hope that AP does not nickle and dime other more important features and components. Could this be a harbinger of that? We shall see.

I think AP needs to start charging what it costs to survive as a low-volume manufacturer. Their pricing is great, but it's too low for what they're offering, and a bump in price would give them the budget to fix art and animation to bring them up to a survivability level, too. Also, why re-invent the wheel with the power situation? Stern is buying off-the-rack Meanwell power supplies. If it's good enough for Stern, it should be good enough for AP.

#2198 5 years ago

There Great! I love Black Hair and Redheads!

No, still needs to be Family Friendly.
Guess I'll spell it out...I'd like to see front of the girls....umm there Chests! Trying to be tactful.

Oh, I didn't realize they had adult versions!

#2199 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

You really, REALLY need a Premium level machine option. Factory-installed art blades, invisiglass, shaker motor, EOS switches, knocker, cliffy protection (shooter lane and holes - you'd be the first, JJP just did holes), bumper car characters, matching face on playfield dude (okay, maybe not the last one, but you'd have at least one buyer down under with that) would be a hit with a good portion of the users.
You're leaving a fair amount of money on the table by not offering it. I understand and appreciate holding the line on pricing, but offering a Standard and a Premium will only fatten your bottom line and most of the parts you already have in-house sitting there, not making the money they could. Plus, there's still the Standard version that's always been there for people that only want that.

It is probably pretty hard to start spinning out different versions at their scale. If you're producing thousands of machines, it could be justified...with hundreds, it is probably best to stick to one single variation.

#2200 5 years ago

AP will learn marketing strategy for the next game, do not show the figures until the games are ready to be shipped then reveal and include them as a free special offer to the first 500 buyers!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 7,795.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 7,899.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 11.99
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

8,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dixon, CA
$ 8,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 7,795.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 129.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 140.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

$ 39.99
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

6,100 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Queen Creek, AZ
Playfield - Other
RavSpec

Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

There are 4,992 posts in this topic. You are on page 44 of 100.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/joe-balcer-confirms-oktoberfest-as-american-pinbals-next-pin/page/44?hl=pinballjj and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.