(Topic ID: 224963)

Joe Balcer confirms Oktoberfest as American Pinball's next pin.

By PismoArcade

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 4,992 posts
  • 466 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Ferret
  • Topic is favorited by 79 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

8880f5e6998fb0663ff4a9a77f40c92eb6c125f2 (resized).png
okt (resized).jpg
59547925-ED73-4D13-9C0B-C0B4DB7F1F2C (resized).jpeg
20210418_173000 (resized).jpg
IMG_8199 (resized).jpg
20211127_232248 (resized).jpg
BLKFRIDAY2021 (1) (resized).png
16341706819071145026220657450351 (resized).jpg
AAAABWnlUYQGnwPYrDFi3t2ZJg8xDmhdqB2hGmDLTPnpLg4SjPq15X8P8IAl66bSXZXeQjCVgv9i_WrsIbMEvcUa9pH863X- (resized).jpg
20211006_190939 (resized).jpg
47cc5c7a51600f42dccc5022b9550eca8025c861 (resized).jpg
IMG_7361 (resized).jpg
IMG_7362 (resized).jpg
Okt upgraded coil stop - blue = new (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
20210620_160449 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 4,992 posts in this topic. You are on page 43 of 100.
#2101 5 years ago

I need an upper flipper game and I would love for this to be it. I just need more time on it. I don’t fire from the hip when I buy. I played ACDC for like 4 years before I bought one. Haha

#2102 5 years ago
Quoted from HOOKED:

Question I'd like to ask ....how many of those on this thread are currently buying this machine?
Discussion is great but who is putting money down?

With my incredible experience of owning Houdini, I can only think that Oktoberfest will be a Huge Hit!
API games are thoughtful, challenging and exciting. A perfect fit for home use or a busy location.
I look forward to playing it and will consider buying it after I play it at TPF.

#2103 5 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

I'd like to so I can better help with tech support. Time will tell.
LTG : )

Not my money to throw around but API should Opt to put a game on location at SS Billiards next to the best support tech in the industry. Just my opinion. Plus I like calling to harass him on Sunday nights lol. He does always answer though!

#2104 5 years ago
Quoted from HOOKED:

Question I'd like to ask ....how many of those on this thread are currently buying this machine?

Until I see/play it at TPF , how can I say for certain. But, I am very interested.

#2105 5 years ago

I hope the pin is at MGC so I can play it.

#2106 5 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

Just be sure you don't look at the display while playing

the AP mascots reaction confirms this strategy.

seenoevil (resized).jpgseenoevil (resized).jpg
#2107 5 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

If KingPinGames is there, a good chance Chris will work hard to make it happen.

#2108 5 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I love what Ferret did to finish off Alien code.

Don't forget the amazing work of Kelly Mazurowski on the visuals and David Thiel on the audio.

#2109 5 years ago

I too am interested to see the game itself.

#2110 5 years ago
Quoted from MarkInc:

Don't forget the amazing work of Kelly Mazurowski on the visuals and David Thiel on the audio.

Oh yeah, simply amazing work those guys did!

What's exciting is we should be getting games shipped soon.

#2111 5 years ago

I'm in for 1 new pin this year, I have been following Oktoberfest since it was shown. if it turns into something I want at my house I'll buy one if not i'll play it on location.

#2112 5 years ago

I'm in for 1 new pin this year, I have been following Oktoberfest since it was shown. if it turns into something I want at my house I'll buy one if not i'll play it on location.

#2113 5 years ago

#2114 5 years ago
Quoted from BertoDRINK1:

Quoted from BertoDRINK1:

Quoted from BertoDRINK1:

So if it's something you want at your house, you'll buy three ?

It's great. Fun. I hope you decide to get one.

#2115 5 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

So if it's something you want at your house, you'll buy three ?
It's great. Fun. I hope you decide to get one.

Well not sure how that happened. If I win the Lotto this weekend sure I'll buy 3

#2116 5 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

Are you kidding? In the city that is the former beer capital? and just being released? There were 2 or 3 Houdini's last year.

We can expect it.

#2117 5 years ago
Quoted from BertoDRINK1:

If I win the Lotto this weekend sure I'll buy 3

I will hope you win the Lotto this weekend !

#2118 5 years ago
Quoted from HOOKED:

I preordered with Joe @ PinballSTAR the moment he announced it.

The arguing about this game is so f’ing epic that I has become my favorite thing on Pinside next to the HEP posts. I cannot wait for the OKF owners club post to get shut down. I mean, at this point I’m hinting an R Kelly theme would have been a safer choice.

#2119 5 years ago

Watched the latest SDTM gameplay video. I think Oktoberfest looks cool but the callouts and especially animations are lacking to say the least in my opinion. The presentation of images / text looks unappealing on a number of screens as well, especially the skill shot and end of ball screens. The main music track also seems out of place in my opinion.

I know the game is still running beta code and that things will improve. I'm also not a fan of the two areas with 5 or so half standup targets, I just don't find large groupings of mini standup targets interesting to hit. The game has a good amount going on and build quality looks excellent. Looking forward to seeing how the game develops and getting some time on one.

#2120 5 years ago

The trim looked great on the SDTM unboxing.

#2121 5 years ago

Any idea how many are going to be at TPF? I hope more than 2!

#2122 5 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I'm also not a fan of the two areas with 5 or so half standup targets, I just don't find large groupings of mini standup targets interesting to hit.

The magnets in those two areas definitely add some interesting things to those shots but I get what you're saying.

#2123 5 years ago
Quoted from Aniraf:

I preordered with Joe @ PinballSTAR the moment he announced it.
The arguing about this game is so f’ing epic that I has become my favorite thing on Pinside next to the HEP posts. I cannot wait for the OKF owners club post to get shut down. I mean, at this point I’m hinting an R Kelly theme would have been a safer choice.

I haven’t seen an OKF club thread?

#2124 5 years ago
Quoted from MarkInc:

Thiel is a wizard; his work on Hobbit is breathtaking

#2125 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Thiel is a wizard; his work on Hobbit is breathtaking

Thiel is the BEST in the business. His work in Alien is unbelievable. I think he did POTC too and Hobbit fantastic.

#2126 5 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I'm also not a fan of the two areas with 5 or so half standup targets, I just don't find large groupings of mini standup targets interesting to hit.

I do. They way they are oriented, you can hit the first one and sweep them all. I’m sure they have something awesome in the code for us you do that too.

Now the drone area on dialed in? I’m with ya there. Boring to go after that shot.

#2127 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinphila:

Any idea how many are going to be at TPF? I hope more than 2!

definitely more than 2, I would guess 5 to 7 depending on our distributors at the show.

Quoted from chuckwurt:

I do. They way they are oriented, you can hit the first one and sweep them all. I’m sure they have something awesome in the code for us you do that too.

Quoted from bobukcat:

The magnets in those two areas definitely add some interesting things to those shots but I get what you're saying.

There is things in code that award for sweeping and scoring more than one target and I believe a significant award for getting them all. I'm not sure how well they will sweep yet as far as getting them all, I've certainly got at least four on a single shot. I suspect that will improve as the foam softens a bit. The magnet does provide great action on them and can help pick up a few. In addition, the Sloshed Rosh Lager stein will make it easier, as it will award a neighboring target if the one you hit is already lit.

#2128 5 years ago

For those in the Chicago area who want to get some time on Oktoberfest, you can stop by our offices next week, Monday through Wednesday from 5pm to 8pm to help us with play testing.

You can find our address on our website: www.american-pinball.com

#2129 5 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Now the drone area on dialed in? I’m with ya there. Boring to go after that shot.

Love the drone area in Dialed In as the magnet is used there often and there's also multiple moving drones to interact with the shot.

#2130 5 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Love the drone area in Dialed In as the magnet is used there often and there's also multiple moving drones to interact with the shot.

Same thing with these standup areas. No spinning propellers though.

#2131 5 years ago
Quoted from frankmac:

The trim looked great on the SDTM unboxing.

They're changing the chick. I think they said it wasn't the final version.

#2132 5 years ago

Did they fix Otto's broken wrist?

broken_wrist (resized).jpgbroken_wrist (resized).jpg
#2133 5 years ago

I have gotten — once — a 7-in-a-row sweep of the OKTOBER targets. I was very surprised when all the inserts just suddenly lit up, felt great.

The X-in-a-row target scoring is indeed progressive... with no modes or multiballs active, the points will be nice but not epic... but do a big sweep during Ring Toss or Corkscrew MB or even Füd Frenzy and it should be pretty juicy.

Also, a couple days ago my wife shot the F in FEST, and though not a true sweep, watched the magnet ping-pong the ball into E, S, and T, one at a time. It looked hilarious.

#2134 5 years ago

Thats a neat feature! x-in-a-row target sweep. Cool stuff!

Quoted from Ferret:

I have gotten — once — a 7-in-a-row sweep of the OKTOBER targets. I was very surprised when all the inserts just suddenly lit up, felt great.
The X-in-a-row target scoring is indeed progressive... with no modes or multiballs active, the points will be nice but not epic... but do a big sweep during Ring Toss or Corkscrew MB or even Füd Frenzy and it should be pretty juicy.
Also, a couple days ago my wife shot the F in FEST, and though not a true sweep, watched the magnet ping-pong the ball into E, S, and T, one at a time. It looked hilarious.

#2135 5 years ago

I'm not new to pinside, but I don't think I have EVER Seen this level of scrutiny about a game before. (Otto's wrist?! But I'm sure I must have just missed it). AP is *building and shipping* these games! Can't wait to play it. And Ferret and Josh and Joe and David Thiel and uh.. Nirmal's friend.. this is like the A team of modern pinball right now.

#2136 5 years ago

David Thiel? He's not involved in the sound of OKTOBERFEST is he?

Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I'm not new to pinside, but I don't think I have EVER Seen this level of scrutiny about a game before. (Otto's wrist?! But I'm sure I must have just missed it). AP is *building and shipping* these games! Can't wait to play it. And Ferret and Josh and Joe and David Thiel and uh.. Nirmal's friend.. this is like the A team of modern pinball right now.

#2137 5 years ago

I vaguely remember reading that there might be 2 different versions of the machine (one for adult, and one more family). Was that just referring to the ability to change callouts in the settings or was it more of an adult artwork package? Or neither...

tony

#2138 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I think David Thiel is busy at Deeproot, not API.

#2139 5 years ago

Matt Kern is audio lead on Oktoberfest. David Thiel is not involved, he is working with Deeproot. However, David is an absolutely amazing artist and a great guy.

Quoted from PanzerFreak:

The presentation of images / text looks unappealing on a number of screens as well, especially the skill shot and end of ball screens.

Skill shot screen currently looks terrible. Perfect example of where we’re still working on the A/V. That’s what happens when *I* do any sort of visuals... I am not an artist. I recently received the final version of the imagery from our actual artist and it’ll get into the build soon.

End of ball bonus, though... that is as intended and most people seem to really like it. What do you find unappealing about it?

#2140 5 years ago
Quoted from acaciolo:

I vaguely remember reading that there might be 2 different versions of the machine (one for adult, and one more family). Was that just referring to the ability to change callouts in the settings or was it more of an adult artwork package? Or neither...

There are plans for a setting for less family friendly callouts, likely a month or two out. It is possible there could be, at some point, an alternative backglass, but there are no specific plans for that at this time

#2141 5 years ago
Quoted from acaciolo:

I vaguely remember reading that there might be 2 different versions of the machine (one for adult, and one more family). Was that just referring to the ability to change callouts in the settings or was it more of an adult artwork package?

Primarily audio callouts, possibly some animations. The physical machine does not change, it’s an operator adjustment.

#2142 5 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

For those in the Chicago area who want to get some time on Oktoberfest, you can stop by our offices next week, Monday through Wednesday from 5pm to 8pm to help us with play testing.

You can find our address on our website: www.american-pinball.com

Wish I could. Have to wait for TPF.

Quoted from rosh:

There are plans for a setting for less family friendly callouts, likely a month or two out. It is possible there could be, at some point, an alternative backglass, but there are no specific plans for that at this time

Definitely shaping up to be another great pin. TPF is sure going to be exciting !

#2143 5 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

I'd think you could have a lot of fun with this doing more adult oriented call outs, and an alternate BG could be very cool. I'm betting both would be well received.

#2144 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

This level of scrutiny happens all the time, and rightfully so. People complained about the topper artwork for JJP POTC LE, as the exact same skull and crossbones is literally 5" below the topper of the same skull and crossbones, and again on the sides of the backbox. And again at one point in the LCD display as it cycles through screens. Artwork is part of the package, so it should be scrutinized just like anything else.

#2145 5 years ago

All the animations need is more beer and jugs....errr....mugs.

#2146 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinphila:

Exactly. 8500 for a standard JJP vs low 7s for a AP game. People seem to forget this.

JJP has only produced 4 games in 8 years. AP will have two in a fraction of that. Not a fair comparison.

#2147 5 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

JJP has only produced 4 games in 8 years. AP will have two in a fraction of that. Not a fair comparison.

what is your point ? quick is better than good?

#2148 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballjj:

what is your point ? quick is better than good?

How about "they had a lot more time to work on it"?

#2149 5 years ago

Makes the most sense to wait for TPF for further insights on how this game has developed. At this point we know art and code isn't final, and most likely art will be more so in two weeks when many here get to see it in person for the first time.

I just wish I could be there too first-hand!

#2150 5 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

How about "they had a lot more time to work on it"?

They also choose to put the time and money into creating some of the highest quality animations, music, features, and rules in pinball. It shows in all of their games.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

$ 7,795.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

8,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dixon, CA
Machine - For Sale
Queen Creek, AZ
$ 140.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 7,899.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 7,795.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 39.99
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

$ 8,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 11.99
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

$ 129.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

There are 4,992 posts in this topic. You are on page 43 of 100.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/joe-balcer-confirms-oktoberfest-as-american-pinbals-next-pin/page/43?hl=pinballjj and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.