(Topic ID: 224963)

Joe Balcer confirms Oktoberfest as American Pinball's next pin.

By PismoArcade

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 4,992 posts
  • 466 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Ferret
  • Topic is favorited by 79 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

8880f5e6998fb0663ff4a9a77f40c92eb6c125f2 (resized).png
okt (resized).jpg
59547925-ED73-4D13-9C0B-C0B4DB7F1F2C (resized).jpeg
20210418_173000 (resized).jpg
IMG_8199 (resized).jpg
20211127_232248 (resized).jpg
BLKFRIDAY2021 (1) (resized).png
16341706819071145026220657450351 (resized).jpg
AAAABWnlUYQGnwPYrDFi3t2ZJg8xDmhdqB2hGmDLTPnpLg4SjPq15X8P8IAl66bSXZXeQjCVgv9i_WrsIbMEvcUa9pH863X- (resized).jpg
20211006_190939 (resized).jpg
47cc5c7a51600f42dccc5022b9550eca8025c861 (resized).jpg
IMG_7361 (resized).jpg
IMG_7362 (resized).jpg
Okt upgraded coil stop - blue = new (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
20210620_160449 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 4,992 posts in this topic. You are on page 40 of 100.
#1951 5 years ago

Now that Louisville is coming to a close.
TPF is just around the corner!
We have put in an order for 3 Oktoberfest Demo Games with API to be at TPF along with I believe at least one additional they are bring for the organizers of the show.
If all goes as planned Oktoberfest should have great representation this year at the Texas Pinball Festival.
We’re looking forward to seeing and playing this game as well.
Prost!
In addition to all of this and you really want to get in the Oktoberfest mood in Big D. I highly recommend The Bavarian Grill. It’s located in Plano about 15-20 minutes from the TPF. Full German cuisine, beers, Biergarten and Umpa Band. One of me and my wife’s favorite places. Definitely worth a visit!

B2C3A300-833E-42DF-8D8C-D0AFFA9D86F4 (resized).jpegB2C3A300-833E-42DF-8D8C-D0AFFA9D86F4 (resized).jpegB3F059E2-1102-4625-BCA9-DEE0214E7B55 (resized).jpegB3F059E2-1102-4625-BCA9-DEE0214E7B55 (resized).jpegD561EA5D-1A44-4743-A8EC-C72F6BC7A9E3 (resized).jpegD561EA5D-1A44-4743-A8EC-C72F6BC7A9E3 (resized).jpeg13BC60CF-1876-40DD-B0C1-67C08DDF4EA6 (resized).jpeg13BC60CF-1876-40DD-B0C1-67C08DDF4EA6 (resized).jpeg
#1952 5 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

The SDTM guys (chuckwurt) streamed it from the Louisville show yesterday, you should find it on their twitch stream. FWIW I played it a lot yesterday, with many different people, not one mentioned the music and at no point did it ever register as out of place or annoying in anyway to me. It's true I'm at the show with a lot of other noise around me but I still don't think it's an issue.

Maybe you just have to experience it in person. I really have high hopes for this one; love the concept!

#1953 5 years ago

Will there be an OKF at MGC?

Would be interesting to see how the game itself is aside from the arguments about music and art.

#1955 5 years ago
Quoted from Chicoman:

Having watched the Twitch stream of Oktoberfest I'm beginning to wonder have we reached a point where game code is just too deep? It's an interesting looking pinball machine and the playfield is nice and colorful. Music IMO is ok but I'd prefer more traditional Oktoberfest type music.....most gameplay seems to show the ball living the most on the lower half of the playfield with players seeming to have a hard time keeping it up in the top half of the playfield. Maybe there isn't that much up there to shoot for or some of the shots appear hidden. I'm not in love with it but I'll be interested to see how code develops in the months ahead.

I don’t understand this mentality. If you’re spending 7-8k on a machine, don’t you want it to last a while? It can still be fun without having to explore every nook and cranny in every single game. The best games seem to have a good combo of some easy, some hard, some impossible things in order achieve

Code on this game and Houdini seem to take after a game like WOZ - lots of stuff you can do/ start, not linear but still deep - and you’re not going to do it all in one game

#1956 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I don’t understand this mentality. If you’re spending 7-8k on a machine, don’t you want it to last a while? It can still be fun without having to explore every nook and cranny in every single game. The best games seem to have a good combo of some easy, some hard, some impossible things in order achieve
Code on this game and Houdini seem to take after a game like WOZ - lots of stuff you can do/ start, not linear but still deep - and you’re not going to do it all in one game

I guess.....I don't mind a deep ruleset I'm just wondering how much is too much as far as a ruleset. I think Ripley's Believe it or Not bordered on too much.....maybe it was just too difficult.....certain aspects of the game were almost unobtanium.....making it borderline frustrating. Game balancing is very important. I'm more concerned with some of the shots and the lack of time spent in the upper playfield when watching the stream. I get that you don't want the ball up there all the time but it just seemed when you did get it up into the upper playfield the time spent up there was very brief.

We shall see what comes of this title....as I said I like the theme just that the gameplay IMO looked pretty boooooring and it didn't leave me with a good first impression.

#1957 5 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

Regarding the music, having watched a solid hour of streaming throughout the day, it felt like there was one dominant track in particular.
The animations really need fleshed out. I like the ideas, and some of the transitions, but for what's being aspired to on screen, many things appear primitive. With Houdini, it somewhat fit the time period, but seeing one man walk about in the main game area, didn't look good at all, and the animations throughout are stilted.
When a stein is selected, I'd love to see an animation of it quickly flung down a bar, rather than see the weird urine looking gaussian blur blob behind it. The ideas are really sound, they just need executed a few levels higher than they are currently. Being that the screen was so large in the stream, I genuinely couldn't take my eyes off of it, and focus on the gameplay, that's how glaring these issues are to someone with a background in illustration.
I have the least issue with table layout, sans playing it. All of the playfield still looks pleasant and whimsical, which is a nice change up from modern pin aesthetics.
Also, Otto constantly being a static image feels barren and lifeless. If even not just a static image, at least a drop shadow behind him or him cropped in, rather than floating about on the screen.
Purple fonts with black strokes need to really disappear. There were peculiar stroke and font colors in Houdini that often clashed for me or were gaudy and way too vibrant, and lacking any animation or transitions within the coloration of the text. For excellent font usage and animation, refer to JJP with their work on Pirates.
I feel like the playfield art, layout, and many aspects of API's work has been very, very impressive thus far, but to compete toe to toe with JJP, the GUI and animation work needs a much, much higher level. Music has issues, and can be balanced down the road, but the impressions of the backglass graphic work will set an immediate and somewhat unpleasant impression to anyone that plays this pin.
API needs to knock this out of the park, as Houdini was such a fantastic freshman effort, but Oktoberfest needs to take this to another level to compete with JJP. Stern has and will always have their own piece of the pie, and for JJP or API to cut into that, they both need to create solid and consistent games.
Looking forward to seeing more at TPF!

Spot on review and insight. I viewed it virtually the same as you with the same outcome and opinion. Thanks.

#1958 5 years ago

Was this uploaded somewhere so those that missed the stream can see it?

Quoted from chuckwurt:

Thanks for everyone that tuned in today. Hopefully got people excited to play at TPF!

#1959 5 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

Was this uploaded somewhere so those that missed the stream can see it?

There's a link a few posts back, or in the key post index at the top of the page.

#1960 5 years ago
Quoted from hassellcastle:

Now that Louisville is coming to a close.
TPF is just around the corner!
We have put in an order for 3 Oktoberfest Demo Games with API to be at TPF along with I believe at least one additional they are bring for the organizers of the show.
If all goes as planned Oktoberfest should have great representation this year at the Texas Pinball Festival.
We’re looking forward to seeing and playing this game as well.
Prost!
In addition to all of this and you really want to get in the Oktoberfest mood in Big D. I highly recommend The Bavarian Grill. It’s located in Plano about 15-20 minutes from the TPF. Full German cuisine, beers, Biergarten and Umpa Band. One of me and my wife’s favorite places. Definitely worth a visit!
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Thanks for the tip. Looks great!!!! Can wait to play the game.

#1961 5 years ago

Thanks, watching it now.

Quoted from PinMonk:

There's a link a few posts back, or in the key post index at the top of the page.

#1962 5 years ago
Quoted from zaki:

Where do you get the stream at to see all this? Is this new or is this just the old stuff on you tube?

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/389302541

LTG : )

#1963 5 years ago
Quoted from adborto:

Might have missed this, does anyone know what happened to the figures on top of the pop bumpers? API - pleases say that you didn’t remove them!

I have no idea of American Pinball's plan for the pop bumpers. The bumper car toppers are now on the video screen in the recent game we saw.

I wouldn't worry about them. If not in the bumper car pop bumper toppers. You know yelobird will be making figures for the bumper car on the pop bumpers.

LTG : )

#1964 5 years ago
Quoted from Ferret:

So talking about the music: there IS method to the madness. We have three major categories of things to do in Oktoberfest Pinball On Tap: beer/drinking events, rides, and midway games. Each of these categories comes with its own style of music... the music for the midway games has a carnival/festival vibe, the music for the rides leans more towards rock, and the beer features use polka/oompah style music. This is all part of our overall intention to let the player explore EVERYTHING that Oktoberfest has to offer... contrary to what some might think, the festival called Oktoberfest is not just oompah music and drinking beer until you pass out, there's much more to it than that.
And from a practical standpoint: for every player who might want nothing but traditional Bavarian music in this game, there's another person who would run away screaming at that thought. We've tried to settle on a good balance that represents the festival well and not overdo any particular style. While I don't believe American Pinball plans to offer customizable soundtracks, if game owners really want to hack their game to modify the tunes, I suspect someone will figure out how to make that happen.
And finally, we are still refining the audio/visual elements of the game, including music, callouts, animations, etc. While no one should be expecting that any of these elements will be completely thrown out and started over from scratch, y'all are welcome to post constructive feedback here, the team is listening. (Hopefully those of you playing Oktoberfest this weekend at Louisville, or at other upcoming shows, notice a number of things that changed in the game based on feedback from Chicago Expo, streams of the game, etc.)
Thanks!

Thanks for the feedback. I still have no idea how people judge a game based on videos, or a few plays.

#1965 5 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Spot on review and insight. I viewed it virtually the same as you with the same outcome and opinion. Thanks.

Thanks for noting my opinion @Yelobird, you and your wife certainly need to have a grasp on visual design to do what you both do so well with mods!

I want API to smash this out of the park, and be right there with Stern and JJP, but there are some rough visuals that need tended to, to put them on par with those two. And those two certainly have issues with all of their animations as well.

I think POTC being streamlined without clips, allowed them to focus on a core idea, and make it as polished as they possibly could. Lord knows, Dialed-In has incredible polish in it's LCD work, but some of those character designs and animations are not nearly as smooth as those incredible skulls, pistols, flames, etc in POTC. Both Dialed-In and Oktoberfest are creating worlds visually in ways that are new to pinball, and for that I applaud all of those creators!

Pinball needs as high a production level visually in animation and font design, as any video game, ad, film, etc out there now. These companies aren't just competing with each other, but a visual standard across media industries globally.

#1966 5 years ago

been keeping this game on the radar and excited to see the updates which I just watched on the twitch stream. Thanks STDM!

Man I want to like this game. The shots and layout seem really fun but the audio and video package REALLY needs to be revisited. I actually didn't mind the old music but this new music package is really bad. As someone mentioned, generic rock to the max and there is def a main track I keep on hearing that really is painful. The fake german audio is really off putting too - it's so obviously off that I'm not sure if it's intended to be a joke? Either way, it just comes off as amateur. Finally the LCD - oh boy. The animation and overall quality really takes away from the experience. I really hope there is time to revisit that but I'm not holding my breath.

I for one would put mirrors on this as there is SO much going on art wise, adding more noise on the sides is really over the top.

I love the layout on this one though and those bumpers are very cool. It has a number of really nice loops too and many shots. I just feel the AV package is literally an anchor to this otherwise good looking game. Interested to see how it ends up.

#1967 5 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

been keeping this game on the radar and excited to see the updates which I just watched on the twitch stream. Thanks STDM!
Man I want to like this game. The shots and layout seem really fun but the audio and video package REALLY needs to be revisited. I actually didn't mind the old music but this new music package is really bad. As someone mentioned, generic rock to the max and there is def a main track I keep on hearing that really is painful. The fake german audio is really off putting too - it's so obviously off that I'm not sure if it's intended to be a joke? Either way, it just comes off as amateur. Finally the LCD - oh boy. The animation and overall quality really takes away from the experience. I really hope there is time to revisit that but I'm not holding my breath.
I for one would put mirrors on this as there is SO much going on art wise, adding more noise on the sides is really over the top.
I love the layout on this one though and I bumpers are very cool. It has a number of really nice loops too and many shots. I just feel the AV package is literally an anchor to this otherwise good looking game. Interested to see how it ends up.

+1 except for mirror on the sides (I like the existing art blades just fine).

To be totally honest, I'm not as hot on purchasing an Oktoberfest as I was prior to the latest stream. Hopefully, major improvements with the music and animations are still forthcoming. I also watched various segments throughout the stream, but never caught a single ball going into the barrel or a beer barrel multiball in action. A little concerning. Finally, the new Greta replacement (in the animations) looks a bit scary as well.

Thanks to AP and SDTM for the stream and I continue to look for big things in this game as it has so much potential!

#1968 5 years ago
Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

+1 except for mirror on the sides (I like the existing art blades just fine).
To be totally honest, I'm not as hot on purchasing an Oktoberfest as I was prior to the latest stream. Hopefully, major improvements with the music and animations are still forthcoming. I also watched various segments throughout the stream, but never caught a single ball going into the barrel or a beer barrel multiball in action. A little concerning. Finally, the new Greta replacement (in the animations) looks a bit scary as well!

AP desperately needs an artist/animator with experience in art direction, preferably in video games. There's no way around it. The only question is, how long will they put it off, causing titles to sell less than their potential before they realize it's costing them more than they're saving.

#1969 5 years ago

I also watched various segments throughout the stream, but never caught a single ball going into the barrel or a beer barrel multiball in action

It’s a bit like the warp ramp on sttng. You gotta find it.. and it takes a few games. It’s a tough shot, but not because it cheats you or anything.

#1970 5 years ago

I also watched various segments throughout the stream, but never caught a single ball going into the barrel or a beer barrel multiball in action.

You have to specifically go for it. It’s not going to just happen. It’s a two step process to hit that shot, and it’s very hard. There was probably less than 5 people at that show that knew how to get setup for a shot on the side ramp.

It will happen more once people know the game better.

It’s like trying to setup and make the whirlwind ramp during MB.

#1971 5 years ago

This looks real promising!

But, have they change the voice of ...Otto? The callouter. I seem to recall in early code he had a real spoofy german english accent. I miss that! Now it seems very ordinary. I remember especially when he pronounced pale ale it was hilarious.

#1972 5 years ago

I really want to like this game but something about it just seems off, not sure if it’s the lack of a German accent in the callouts, the music mix not being Bavarian enough to feel like Oktoberfest or video quality.... hoping it evolves more!

#1973 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

AP desperately needs an artist/animator with experience in art direction, preferably in video games. There's no way around it. The only question is, how long will they put it off, causing titles to sell less than their potential before they realize it's costing them more than they're saving.

Especially true considering that trademark filing which suggests they're continuing with non-licensed themes.

#1974 5 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

It’s a bit like the warp ramp on sttng. You gotta find it.. and it takes a few games. It’s a tough shot, but not because it cheats you or anything.

It is on a different spot on the flipper than you think from looking at it, once I figured that out I could hit it semi-reliably with the mag nab helping. I spent most of my time on the game trying for the Corkscrew MB and hit it a few times over the weekend, when I decided to work on the Beer Barrel multiball yesterday my skills in general just completely left me and I couldn't hit a thing on any game. At these shows there's usually a long wait to play a new game like OKF so you can't get in a lot of games and you have a lot of time between those games so you have to re-find your shots each time.

To back-up your comparison to the warp ramp on STTNG, mine was there all weekend and I saw very few people hit that shot and I don't think the Borg lock was hit once all weekend based on the credit dot that was there due to that. I tested it and could hit it but I play that game a lot, most people at the show don't.

#1975 5 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

not sure if it’s the lack of a German accent in the callouts

Good its not only me thinking this

#1976 5 years ago

I will say that I hit the side ramp a couple times where I thought it should’ve went but stopped short. Might be a flipper power issue not sure. But that can obviously be adjusted. Or I just flat out missed it. Not sure.

#1977 5 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

I will say that I hit the side ramp a couple times where I thought it should’ve went but stopped short. Might be a flipper power issue not sure. But that can obviously be adjusted. Or I just flat out missed it. Not sure.

Try when it gets all the way up to the top and the bend.. and then comes back. That hurts

It's steep... no lie. But it's not flawed - its a hard shot. That's allowed in pinball... but the original quoted armchair critic just wanted another bit to throw around to enlighten us all with about flaws in the game he knows, but no one else does yet.

#1978 5 years ago

I caution anyone from drawing conclusions about the music and voices from watching the stream. I think the feedback from those at the show, hearing it live, has been quite different. We are still adding two more main tracks, one of the current tracks is in the process of being modified, and some modes don't have the real music for that mode yet. Most of the changes will be done prior to TPF. BTW, I believe the voice of Otto is a native German voice actor, located in Germany.

The ramp is quite makable, I hit it consistently. It does take a bit of time to get the timing and right spot on the flipper (close to the tip). I can hit it when it is moving fast around the orbit, after the magnet stops and releases it as well as if the ball just finds it way near the flipper. Yes, the strength needs to be set correctly, but as always, you don't want it overly strong. When it comes around the orbit with speed, there is way more than enough power. Also watching the stream you can see how many folks are not even thinking about the upper flipper and going for the ramp. I kept trying to flip it for them while watching, which made wife think I was developing a nervous tick or something.

#1979 5 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

It’s like trying to setup and make the whirlwind ramp during MB.

Good comparison, I hadn't played Whirlwind in a LONG time and it took me a long time to find that shot on the one there this weekend. Still couldn't hit it reliably once I did and of course it's even harder during MB.

#1980 5 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

Also watching the stream you can see how many folks are not even thinking about the upper flipper and going for the ramp. I kept trying to flip it for them while watching, which made wife think I was developing a nervous tick or something.

LOL - It's like the passenger-side invisible brake pedal to use a cargument.

#1981 5 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Correct me if I’m wrong, but it looked like super bands were on the flippers? If so, I bet a traditional black flipper rubber would greatly increase accuracy. From my personal experience, super bands suck donkey balls on upper flipper shots like STLE or X-MEN.

#1982 5 years ago

I played this at Louisville, mostly because my son wanted to be on the stream...lol. But I have to say, I really enjoyed it and would like to put more time on one. I really wished they had gone with a different theme, because I liked the layout and rules. Liked collecting the steins. It was like choosing your mystery award. Really wanted to hit the far right ramp, but drained as soon as I got it to drop down. Long lines and my kids made it so I couldn't return back to it. Unfortunately, for me and my family a beer themed pin does not fit in. I think this pin will suffer for theme as it will likely divide folks and put off others before even approaching the game for what it is. Good job on the layout and rules. But theme is a solid "F" for this family.

#1983 5 years ago
Quoted from Crile1:

I played this at Louisville, mostly because my son wanted to be on the stream...lol. But I have to say, I really enjoyed it and would like to put more time on one. I really wished they had gone with a different theme, because I liked the layout and rules. Liked collecting the steins. It was like choosing your mystery award. Really wanted to hit the far right ramp, but drained as soon as I got it to drop down. Long lines and my kids made it so I couldn't return back to it. Unfortunately, for me and my family a beer themed pin does not fit in. I think this pin will suffer for theme as it will likely divide folks and put off others before even approaching the game for what it is. Good job on the layout and rules. But theme is a solid "F" for this family.

Oh man, I LOVE the theme. Probably not for kids and I'm sure kids aren't the target market. I am starting to waiver given all the above, though. I was going to make a deposit but I may wait for it to be reviewed and rated. I'm hoping that it's great in person; I just won't have an opportunity to try it first.

#1984 5 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Correct me if I’m wrong, but it looked like super bands were on the flippers? If so, I bet a traditional black flipper rubber would greatly increase accuracy. From my personal experience, super bands suck donkey balls on upper flipper shots like STLE or X-MEN.

They use silicone I believe. But until they get nice and dirty they are hard to line up shots too. I’m more than used to them though and still had a hell of a time making the shot. Keeps me coming back though.

#1985 5 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

I caution anyone from drawing conclusions about the music and voices from watching the stream. I think the feedback from those at the show, hearing it live, has been quite different. We are still adding two more main tracks, one of the current tracks is in the process of being modified, and some modes don't have the real music for that mode yet. Most of the changes will be done prior to TPF. BTW, I believe the voice of Otto is a native German voice actor, located in Germany.
The ramp is quite makable, I hit it consistently. It does take a bit of time to get the timing and right spot on the flipper (close to the tip). I can hit it when it is moving fast around the orbit, after the magnet stops and releases it as well as if the ball just finds it way near the flipper. Yes, the strength needs to be set correctly, but as always, you don't want it overly strong. When it comes around the orbit with speed, there is way more than enough power. Also watching the stream you can see how many folks are not even thinking about the upper flipper and going for the ramp. I kept trying to flip it for them while watching, which made wife think I was developing a nervous tick or something.

I’m moving over to this game from ACNC

Love what I saw from Chuck’s stream

Is the beer barrel and corkscrew implemented more into the code now

#1986 5 years ago
Quoted from Crile1:

Unfortunately, for me and my family a beer themed pin does not fit in. I think this pin will suffer for theme as it will likely divide folks and put off others before even approaching the game for what it is. Good job on the layout and rules. But theme is a solid "F" for this family.

I have to ask: why? Oktoberfest (the event) is in fact a family event... it’s not just about drinking beer. Ditto Oktoberfest (the game). Here’s a little subtlety about the pin: at least with adult mode turned off, it never tells the player to drink beer. Sure, it dances all around that topic. But we’re not trying to instruct some kid to chug beer, and I don’t think we do. If we missed a spot, we’ll fix it.

IMHO, Oktoberfest is as family friendly as, say, Corvette or Indy 500 (even though, y’know, kids can’t drive cars). Or as family friendly as the Super Bowl (which I think many families watch despite it having lots of beer commercials).

If Oktoberfest doesn’t suit your specific family, I’m very sorry to hear that. But I think most families will find its theme to be fine when they give it a good look.

#1987 5 years ago
Quoted from Ferret:

: at least with adult mode turned off,

Really hoping for some fun Adult mode!
Wink ,Wink....

#1988 5 years ago
Quoted from mthirkell:

Oh man, I LOVE the theme. Probably not for kids and I'm sure kids aren't the target market. I am starting to waiver given all the above, though. I was going to make a deposit but I may wait for it to be reviewed and rated. I'm hoping that it's great in person; I just won't have an opportunity to try it first.

I think the best review and rating is yours. Spend time on the machine in a public or show setting. Reading a rating or review on pinball is like watching MSNBC or Foxnews...depending who gives it, you will get a different perspective and opinion. If I listened to reviews/ratings, I wouldn't buy any pins. Christ, people trashed STLE when it first came out and now its generally regarded as great. Again, play yourself, make your own opinion, then decide to buy.

#1989 5 years ago

First gameplay of Oktoberfest: Pinball On Tap

Pre-order yours now at Flip N Out Pinball
[email protected]

#1990 5 years ago

I think the male voice is fine, some of had some NSFW jokes about how the female says "corkscrew" but that kind of juvenile stuff will be found in any game by me and the people I hang with.

From a shots perspective the one I think could still use some work is that 'flip' ramp shot on the right, I got a lot of rejects from that one.

#1991 5 years ago
Quoted from ZMeny:

[email protected]

8:32 for example of mag-nab and beer-barrel lock combo.

#1992 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinphila:

I think the best review and rating is yours. Spend time on the machine in a public or show setting. Reading a rating or review on pinball is like watching MSNBC or Foxnews...depending who gives it, you will get a different perspective and opinion. If I listened to reviews/ratings, I wouldn't buy any pins. Christ, people trashed STLE when it first came out and now its generally regarded as great. Again, play yourself, make your own opinion, then decide to buy.

While I generally agree with you, I just don't see myself having an opportunity to play it. If I did, I would pay zero attention to reviews. Fact is, reviews are important - just ask Yelp and Rotten Tomatoes.

#1993 5 years ago
Quoted from ZMeny:

[email protected]

Thanks. I'm sad to say that I just watched 12 minutes and that repetative guitar rif will be in my head for days. Not much going on - maybe just because its new to the player. Zero corkscrew shots - I'm not even sure where it is.

#1994 5 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Man I want to like this game. The shots and layout seem really fun but the audio and video package REALLY needs to be revisited. I actually didn't mind the old music but this new music package is really bad. As someone mentioned, generic rock to the max and there is def a main track I keep on hearing that really is painful. The fake german audio is really off putting too - it's so obviously off that I'm not sure if it's intended to be a joke? Either way, it just comes off as amateur. Finally the LCD - oh boy. The animation and overall quality really takes away from the experience. I really hope there is time to revisit that but I'm not holding my breath...

...I love the layout on this one though and those bumpers are very cool. It has a number of really nice loops too and many shots. I just feel the AV package is literally an anchor to this otherwise good looking game. Interested to see how it ends up.

Took the words right out of my mouth. That LCD is hard on the eyes and the audio is an absolute assault on the ears. It’s a shame because everything else seems really well done.

#1995 5 years ago

Totally agree on the animations and music.. It makes the game feel dead even though the playfield design and art package is very impressive.

#1996 5 years ago

Deleted

#1997 5 years ago
Quoted from mthirkell:

Thanks. I'm sad to say that I just watched 12 minutes and that repetative guitar rif will be in my head for days. Not much going on - maybe just because its new to the player. Zero corkscrew shots - I'm not even sure where it is.

There are multiple instances of Corkscrew locks and several Corkscrew MBs in that video. You light the lock by spelling OCKTOBER and FEST via stand-up targets above the left and right out/in lanes. Then the ramp drops down on the left and what would otherwise be a left loop shot is now up the ramp and locked in the corkscrew lock in the middle back of the backboard. This shot was very difficult to make on the game back in November once the game had been played for a while - I never had that problem with the game this weekend so that has definitely been fixed.

#1998 5 years ago

I'd would like to think i just helped AP make a sale for an Oktoberfest. A local Arcade bar owner reached out to me about finding something kind of beer related for a event and for his place and I directed him towards Oktoberfest. I know he reached out to our local distributor here in GA and also sent a message to AP because he would like to have it by April 24th for the event on the 26th. Will April 24th ish be a problem for delivery?

#1999 5 years ago
Quoted from BertoDRINK1:

I'd would like to think i just helped AP make a sale for an Oktoberfest. A local Arcade bar owner reached out to me about finding something kind of beer related for a event and for his place and I directed him towards Oktoberfest. I know he reached out to our local distributor here in GA and also sent a message to AP because he would like to have it by April 24th for the event on the 26th. Will April 24th ish be a problem for delivery?

Well done!!

#2000 5 years ago

I’m looking forward to playing and watching a lot of okf at tpf. While trying not to judge the music from the streams, it’s hard to feel that it’ll be too different. I’m really hoping the music additions/fixes include adjusting the “in your face” repetitive rock, which seems more apt for a “hurry up” part of a mode, rather the the main theme...but we’ll see in just a few weeks!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 11.99
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

$ 8,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

8,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dixon, CA
$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

Playfield - Other
RavSpec

$ 7,795.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 129.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 140.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 7,795.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 39.99
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

$ 7,899.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

Machine - For Sale
Queen Creek, AZ
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 4,992 posts in this topic. You are on page 40 of 100.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/joe-balcer-confirms-oktoberfest-as-american-pinbals-next-pin/page/40?hl=parsonsaj and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.