(Topic ID: 224963)

Joe Balcer confirms Oktoberfest as American Pinball's next pin.

By PismoArcade

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 4,992 posts
  • 466 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Ferret
  • Topic is favorited by 79 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

8880f5e6998fb0663ff4a9a77f40c92eb6c125f2 (resized).png
okt (resized).jpg
59547925-ED73-4D13-9C0B-C0B4DB7F1F2C (resized).jpeg
20210418_173000 (resized).jpg
IMG_8199 (resized).jpg
20211127_232248 (resized).jpg
BLKFRIDAY2021 (1) (resized).png
16341706819071145026220657450351 (resized).jpg
AAAABWnlUYQGnwPYrDFi3t2ZJg8xDmhdqB2hGmDLTPnpLg4SjPq15X8P8IAl66bSXZXeQjCVgv9i_WrsIbMEvcUa9pH863X- (resized).jpg
20211006_190939 (resized).jpg
47cc5c7a51600f42dccc5022b9550eca8025c861 (resized).jpg
IMG_7361 (resized).jpg
IMG_7362 (resized).jpg
Okt upgraded coil stop - blue = new (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
20210620_160449 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 4,992 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 100.
#101 5 years ago
Quoted from dzoomer:

Beerfest! There's a pin theme I could get behind! Awesome movie .
[quoted image]

Check out the beer goggles scene in Beerfest . Gotta say awesome movie again .

Call me crazy, but I'm going to be looking at the popularity of these Beerfest posts as a litmus test for a general Octoberfest pin theme .

#102 5 years ago

I’ve been to Oktoberfest a number of times. Great idea for a pin ! And for sure all the folks in Cincinnati will know what this is about !

And hearing some polkas coming from the speakers - dreamy !

#103 5 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

The game better play awesome, because the theme sucks. I hope they don't slather it in lame boob art either.

IIRC Joe said it will feature a large man called Otto

#104 5 years ago

Great news from AP

Go for it Joe. This will be a ton of fun !

Yes please bring it on !

Party time !
A party (resized).jpgA party (resized).jpg

#105 5 years ago

Playing the other AP title certianly makes me feel like I’m drunk so this might work as a theme.

Hey, can’t accuse them of playing it safe, that’s for sure.

#106 5 years ago

I think the theme's potentially great. Particularly if it's German (accents, language & music) and campy. If it's totally Americanised and completely PG and PC it'll be a total snoozer.

Subject interests me far more than PotC, Deadpool, SW, Maiden, Aerosmith, Hobbit, Houdini etc etc. It's an open book and could hark back to the thematic creativity of the 70s, 80s and 90s if done well.

I'm glad they had the balls to stick to their guns after the wailing that it wasn't yet another hero / music theme.

#107 5 years ago

#108 5 years ago

I like this better than Stern's typical rotation of movies I haven't seen, comics I don't read, and bands I rarely listen to. Don't get me wrong, I love Maiden and AC/DC but I wore out the cassette tapes decades ago. I don't listen to them much anymore.

Also a lot of people are saying that "other people", not them of course, don't know what Oktoberfest is. Really? I thought every city in the US and Canada over 100k people had some kind of Oktoberfest celebration locally. I think Seattle has three including one that draws maybe 10 or 20k visitors over the course of the event. I think you might be selling "other people" short here. I think it's nearly as well known as Mardi Gras.

I personally think the game could be fantastic and I'll bet it will sell exceptionally well to the barcade and brewery market. Especially if it's campy and hilarious. Really, the more ridiculous the game is the better. And no one in Germany treats Oktoberfest like it's some sacred cultural institution, so it would be very difficult to offend anyone.

I just hope they include a Franzl Lang, Der Yodel Konig multiball.

#109 5 years ago
A95485A7-6073-4D1A-AE01-84CAB2486D31 (resized).pngA95485A7-6073-4D1A-AE01-84CAB2486D31 (resized).png
#110 5 years ago

Soooo..... moving on to the next theme 4/20.

#111 5 years ago

I live in the city with the largest Oktoberfest outside of Germany. I can see it working locally. My plan when I play it is to pretend I an playing Strange Brew, and I am hosehead the dog trying to save Oktoberfest.

#112 5 years ago

Beer Barrel Polka MultiBall.

#113 5 years ago

I think this company can become a major actor in this industry.
Regarding their first game, i think it is success, theme and its integration, design, playability, rules, fun factor are really well executed. I don’t know if it is a commercial success but I wish it is or it will be soon. They deserve our support, you know what I mean, coz they understand what we are looking for in a game, coz they are very creative and novel.
My next purchase will be Houdini and can’t wait to see what AP is able to do with such a friendly, family, festive theme.
I wish them the best.

#114 5 years ago

This could be wacky and fun, like how pinball used to be.

#115 5 years ago

While I would have preferred strange brew or beer fest based on the films, I think there’s potential with Oktoberfest.
I just went to an Oktoberfest last week.
It was a blast. 146th annual event in Philly. The Bratwurst Boys Band played!
They Rocked!
To say it was a good time would be an understatement.
1762B32D-19E2-464F-93C9-5DFEF796165A (resized).jpeg1762B32D-19E2-464F-93C9-5DFEF796165A (resized).jpeg1DF6762F-C28F-4EB1-9930-1FDA2DE9B684 (resized).jpeg1DF6762F-C28F-4EB1-9930-1FDA2DE9B684 (resized).jpegAE9E6E75-2895-4965-9F39-2D6DB7347E9B (resized).jpegAE9E6E75-2895-4965-9F39-2D6DB7347E9B (resized).jpegF261EEB7-8728-40A2-9327-135D80569D96 (resized).jpegF261EEB7-8728-40A2-9327-135D80569D96 (resized).jpeg

#116 5 years ago

I think Oktoberfest is an awesome theme. I’m surprised by all the blowback honestly. Way better than some other recent theme ideas imo. I won’t be a buyer (of any NIB pin for that matter), but I’m excited to see how it turns out.

#117 5 years ago

Hoping to get a couple of microbreweries around my area into games - this may be the theme that finally does it! Awesome photos up there ^^^ BTW

#118 5 years ago

Great run American pinball. Sorry to see you make bad decisions that will put you out of business.

#119 5 years ago
Quoted from colonel_caverne:

I think this company can become a major actor in this industry.
Regarding their first game, i think it is success, theme and its integration, design, playability, rules, fun factor are really well executed. I don’t know if it is a commercial success but I wish it is or it will be soon. They deserve our support, you know what I mean, coz they understand what we are looking for in a game, coz they are very creative and novel.
My next purchase will be Houdini and can’t wait to see what AP is able to do with such a friendly, family, festive theme.
I wish them the best.

Not exactly sure what you’re talking about, the first game bombed.

#120 5 years ago
Quoted from Msch:

Great run American pinball. Sorry to see you make bad decisions that will put you out of business.

It's a bit premature to announce their death I'd say... Remember Mark Twain

#121 5 years ago

I think it would be awesome if the ramps or wire forms make the shape of a pretzel.

#122 5 years ago
Quoted from mcbPalisade:

It's a bit premature to announce their death I'd say... Remember Mark Twain

They won’t sell. The last game sucked. They had better have massive amounts of cash.

#123 5 years ago
Quoted from Msch:

Not exactly sure what you’re talking about, the first game bombed.

And add in the fact that they triple-downed in the wrong direction on the thread the other week about Houdini warranty issues. These guys are showing a strong pattern of bad decision making.

#124 5 years ago

This will be a major hit .... horrible theme + physics of Houdini what more could anyone want ?

#125 5 years ago
Quoted from Msch:

They won’t sell. The last game sucked. They had better have massive amounts of cash.

Maybe they can merge with Deeproot. DR has no machine but apparently lots of $, AP has a machine but maybe not enough $.

Ah, Internet speculation ( - :

#126 5 years ago

Where there be a US version titled, "Coachella"?

#127 5 years ago

How bad could it be?

Student Prince (resized).jpgStudent Prince (resized).jpg
#128 5 years ago

I’m totally biased, my city holds one of the worlds biggest Oktoberfest celebrations outside of Germany.
https://www.oktoberfest.ca

The theme could be done well with mechanical toys. I’m thinking maybe a glockenspiel like the one we have downtown for the backbox.

The games soundtrack better include multi-Grammy winning polka artist Walter Austinac. Roll out the barrel or the chicken dance. Make it happen.

#129 5 years ago

I don't care about the theme--I just hope they build a FKN WHITEWOOD first, so the geometry isn't all wrong like it was on Houdini.

#130 5 years ago

Oh my, the excitement is building...

#131 5 years ago

I like it. Tired of movie/band themes.

Love the negativity without so much as a blurry photo. Well played!

#133 5 years ago

Maybe the reveal after party should be at "twin peaks" across the parking lot at Expo. Seems to fit the "theme".

#134 5 years ago

Boobs and booze.

That's not getting past a lot of wives. Good luck getting this in your basement married dudes.

#135 5 years ago
Quoted from branlon8:

I’ve been to Oktoberfest a number of times. Great idea for a pin ! And for sure all the folks in Cincinnati will know what this is about !
And hearing some polkas coming from the speakers - dreamy !

Damn straight, Oktoberfest Zinzinnati is huge and a great time! All of these posts saying no one outside Germany knows what / when it is are surprising to me because I know a lot of other cities have Octoberfests too, I was in Boise last week and there were signs for their upcoming Octoberfest all up and down the streets. I understand it seems like a strange theme choice but I'll wait and see what they do with it. I love Ghostbusters as a theme but think the game sucks so theme doesn't guarantee a great game and vice versa.

#136 5 years ago

I don't own a dialed in, which I should have bought instead of Hobbit, but that's a bad themed game, but great game play.

OctoberFest might just be a funny game to play

#137 5 years ago
Quoted from 3pinballs:

I don't own a dialed in, which I should have bought instead of Hobbit, but that's a bad themed game, but great game play.

After you played Dialed In a handful of times in a home environment, the theme shines brilliantly. It doesn't feel like a phone-based game at all. It feels like a fun 90's DMD game brought up to the current era, which is something that's seriously been lacking over the past 20 years. I suppose people just got used to taking themes so seriously after seeing so many Stern games being pumped out that are limited by music or movie licensing.

Maybe Oktoberfest can bring some of that classic charm back, too?

#138 5 years ago

If they go with funny like beer fest it may be okay. I love beer, but I'm very skeptical this will sell. If it's got only one ramp I'm out.

#139 5 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Boobs and booze.
That's not getting past a lot of wives. Good luck getting this in your basement married dudes.

#140 5 years ago
Quoted from hank527:

If it's got only one ramp I'm out.

The extreme closeup photo Joe showed had some wire forms visible and Joe said it had a lot of innovative ‘rampage’. Obviously we’ll have to wait to see it. But that’s what he said.

#141 5 years ago

Two years ago I was working in a USA city, and their **Germantown** was having an Oktoberfest (it was the last week of October, of course).

I bought a pitcher of beer (Spaten, so I'll give them credit there), and the broad says she needs to see my right hand. I tell her I'm clearly over 16 (the legal drinking age at the real Oktoberfest), she stamps my hand - because there is a 1 pitcher limit.

"We don't want anyone getting drunk!" she cheerfully told me.

highres_60311232 (resized).jpeghighres_60311232 (resized).jpeg
#142 5 years ago

The only Oktoberfest I will be purchasing

20180825_210105 (resized).jpg20180825_210105 (resized).jpg
#143 5 years ago

I love it! Tired of only licensed themes. Bout time we get some new Original themes. Houdini is a beautiful machine with cool features. If they can deal with the geometry issues that people have with Houdini, this could be a really cool pin. Can't wait to play one. This could be my first NIB!

#144 5 years ago
Quoted from Pyromedic:

Done right, could be awesome.
Oktoberfest is the worlds largest party, and remember Pinball is HUGE in Europe too.
Das Boot! Multi-ball, Bring it!!![quoted image]

It is at least more than just drinking beer.
When you're done you leave into that giant carnival in fornt of your beer tent, get on a rollercoaster or so, to make room for new beer!

Rinse and repeat!

munchen-kotzt-ein-prosit-auf-die-gemutlichkei-L-bDZRYy (resized).jpegmunchen-kotzt-ein-prosit-auf-die-gemutlichkei-L-bDZRYy (resized).jpeg
#145 5 years ago
Quoted from RobertWinter:

The real Oktoberfest starts late September and ends the first week of October...

Been to it. It is awesome

#146 5 years ago

I hope they capture the feel of Oktoberfest

#147 5 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Boobs and booze.

A pinball machine? Not a problem.

Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

More of this!
[quoted image]

One of these lovely ladies? PROBLEM!!!!
Lol

#148 5 years ago
Quoted from Hop-Pac:

I love it! Tired of only licensed themes. Bout time we get some new Original themes. Houdini is a beautiful machine with cool features. If they can deal with the geometry issues that people have with Houdini, this could be a really cool pin. Can't wait to play one. This could be my first NIB!

I just hope they choose another artstyle then they did with Houdini.

#149 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Two years ago I was working in a USA city, and their **Germantown** was having an Oktoberfest (it was the last week of October, of course).
I bought a pitcher of beer (Spaten, so I'll give them credit there), and the broad says she needs to see my right hand. I tell her I'm clearly over 16 (the legal drinking age at the real Oktoberfest), she stamps my hand - because there is a 1 pitcher limit.
"We don't want anyone getting drunk!" she cheerfully told me.[quoted image]

Is that you? Has the real Vid finally been revealed?

#150 5 years ago

As long as they include the leg slap and chicken dance I’m in

818C363A-366E-4D9A-83A2-044828FBF38C (resized).png818C363A-366E-4D9A-83A2-044828FBF38C (resized).png
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
8,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dixon, CA
$ 39.99
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Playfield - Other
RavSpec

$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 7,899.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 7,795.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

$ 7,795.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 129.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 11.99
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

$ 8,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 140.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

6,100 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Queen Creek, AZ
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 4,992 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 100.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/joe-balcer-confirms-oktoberfest-as-american-pinbals-next-pin/page/3?hl=eightball88 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.