(Topic ID: 224963)

Joe Balcer confirms Oktoberfest as American Pinball's next pin.

By PismoArcade

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 4,992 posts
  • 466 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Ferret
  • Topic is favorited by 79 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

8880f5e6998fb0663ff4a9a77f40c92eb6c125f2 (resized).png
okt (resized).jpg
59547925-ED73-4D13-9C0B-C0B4DB7F1F2C (resized).jpeg
20210418_173000 (resized).jpg
IMG_8199 (resized).jpg
20211127_232248 (resized).jpg
BLKFRIDAY2021 (1) (resized).png
16341706819071145026220657450351 (resized).jpg
AAAABWnlUYQGnwPYrDFi3t2ZJg8xDmhdqB2hGmDLTPnpLg4SjPq15X8P8IAl66bSXZXeQjCVgv9i_WrsIbMEvcUa9pH863X- (resized).jpg
20211006_190939 (resized).jpg
47cc5c7a51600f42dccc5022b9550eca8025c861 (resized).jpg
IMG_7361 (resized).jpg
IMG_7362 (resized).jpg
Okt upgraded coil stop - blue = new (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
20210620_160449 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 4,992 posts in this topic. You are on page 35 of 100.
#1701 5 years ago
20180525_135529 (resized).jpg20180525_135529 (resized).jpg
#1702 5 years ago

When is oktoberfest coming out? February?

Will it be showcased at TPF?

#1703 5 years ago

Looks a lot better!

Sometimes less... is MORE!

#1704 5 years ago

The new tap on the playfield barrel is a nice improvement too!

oktoberfest-pinball-machine (resized).pngoktoberfest-pinball-machine (resized).png

#1705 5 years ago

I apologize for nitpicking but the shingles don't look good. I would rather see the blue/white patterned flags. Maybe it will look better in person but it's kind of icky looking in the picture. The back glass is way better now.

#1706 5 years ago
Quoted from konjurer:

I apologize for nitpicking but the shingles don't look good. I would rather see the blue/white patterned flags. Maybe it will look better in person but it's kind of icky looking in the picture. The back glass is way better now.

I don't mind the shingles artwork as they help convey an "Old Europe" feel to the game for me.

#1707 5 years ago
Quoted from konjurer:

I think it looks bad on the head, fine on the cab. Head would look better if the alpine scene was just extended downwards.

#1710 5 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

I think it looks bad on the head, fine on the cab. Head would look better if the alpine scene was just extended downwards.

Shingles are a good thing. Evokes memories of my favorite beer sign that I used to see in (German cultured) Wisconsin in my youth:
Hamms scene-o-rama sign (resized).jpgHamms scene-o-rama sign (resized).jpg

#1711 5 years ago
Quoted from Daditude:

Needs more cowbell

Needs more boobs.

#1712 5 years ago

Those shingles were there before you were just distracted by Greta The Human Pretzel.

#1713 5 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

... you were just distracted by Greta The Human Pretzel.

Alas, Greta now replaced by her younger (and anatomically correct) cousin Elke.

Monkey apparently replaced by wiener dog.

#1714 5 years ago
Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

Monkey apparently replaced by weiner dog.

Weiner dog is in about the same place as the first backglass with the monkey.

LTG : )

#1715 5 years ago

I feel this game makes fun of old fat drunks. I'm offended.

#1716 5 years ago

Yeah, whats a monkey gotta do to get a bit of tail around here! Sheeeesh, touch one bum and its curtains for you!

3 (resized).jpg3 (resized).jpg
#1717 5 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Those shingles were there before you were just distracted by Greta The Human Pretzel.

How dare you shame a poor, pretzel shaped, one legged woman!

#1718 5 years ago

Shingles are a good thing. Evokes memories of my favorite beer sign that I used to see in (German cultured) Wisconsin in my youth:
[quoted image]

Would be fun to play this at a pub in Leavenworth, WA. I always loved the cities Bavarian style buildings with the distinct wooden shingles.

#1719 5 years ago

Something I invented a while back since we're talking about monkeys

Organ Grinder Hot Sauce (resized).jpgOrgan Grinder Hot Sauce (resized).jpg
#1720 5 years ago
Quoted from WolfManCat:

Would be fun to play this at a pub in Leavenworth, WA. I always loved the cities Bavarian style buildings with the distinct wooden shingles.

Yeah - Oktoberfest is a must game for Leavenworth!

LC36_sq-600x600 (resized).jpgLC36_sq-600x600 (resized).jpg

#1721 5 years ago

Don’t forget to put one in Helen GA. Plenty-o-games needed.

9C3DFE34-DAE7-4D1F-BBC8-397BC2DD49C4 (resized).jpeg9C3DFE34-DAE7-4D1F-BBC8-397BC2DD49C4 (resized).jpeg
#1722 5 years ago

Definitely an improvement, really like the beer tap on the barrel that’s a great touch, but it still doesn’t do a lot for me hopefully the alternative adult art package is a little more exciting as I really like the look of the game itself.

#1723 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

How dare you shame a poor, pretzel shaped, one legged woman!

I think you're confused! The one legged woman was the one being assault by the monkey. Again my theory was the monkey was simply helping her balance. It's a shame #metoo has now destroyed the career of service animals.

#1724 5 years ago

Just came across this CD today.

cd (resized).jpegcd (resized).jpegcd2 (resized).jpegcd2 (resized).jpegcd3 (resized).jpegcd3 (resized).jpeg
#1725 5 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Yeah, whats a monkey gotta do to get a bit of tail around here! Sheeeesh, touch one bum and its curtains for you!
[quoted image]

Is his name Harvey?

#1726 5 years ago
Quoted from romulusx:

Is his name Harvey?

isn't Harvey a 6 foot invisible rabbit?

1 week later
#1727 5 years ago

Just in case anyone forgot i want this song in this pin

#1728 5 years ago

Any update on this? AP has been pretty quiet.

#1729 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinphila:

Any update on this? AP has been pretty quiet.

Should be something pretty soon. They are hard workers. And a lot going on with Octoberfest and the move to the new plant.

#1730 5 years ago

Not to be too picky. But, pinside shows Oktoberfest as a 2018 game; shouldn’t it be a 2019 game? <Granted it does hit production this year>

#1731 5 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Not to be too picky. But, pinside shows Oktoberfest as a 2018 game; shouldn’t it be a 2019 game? &lt;Granted it does hit production this year&gt;

Depends on when pinside considers a game to come out. What’s the date on Pirates?

2 weeks later
#1732 5 years ago

This pin has fallen off the face of the earth. After all the art and monkey uproar weird not one topic, thread update or any new details in 3 weeks.

#1733 5 years ago

Yeah a little disappointing.

Any idea if one is going to make to Little Shop of Games by March 8th for the Jacksonville Expo?

#1734 5 years ago

They are moving facilities which is probably part of the reason. I would guess it will be at TPF.

#1735 5 years ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

This pin has fallen off the face of the earth. After all the art and monkey uproar weird not one topic, thread update or any new details in 3 weeks.

They are probably waiting until they have lots to show. New factory up and running, Octoberfests coming down the line.

No sense posting what hasn't happened. Lots of good people there working hard to accomplish a lot. I'm sure we'll hear more soon, when there is something to hear.

I don't speak for them. I can imagine the move to the new facility was the hold up. Setting up a new factory, and one building inspector isn't happy, can really muck up your goals.

#1736 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinphila:

I would guess it will be at TPF.

They put on a good show at TPF. Since they had some Octoberfests at Expo. I'm sure we'll see them at TPF and how much further Josh has advanced the programming. Joe Balcer is a speaker there. Barry should be there too. Along with Dhaval. All three are great to talk to and visit with.

#1737 5 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

They put on a good show at TPF. Since they had some Octoberfests at Expo. I'm sure we'll see them at TPF and how much further Josh has advanced the programming. Joe Balcer is a speaker there. Barry should be there too. Along with Dhaval. All three are great to talk to and visit with.

I just expected more chatter The Munster's thread has 3000 posts about shallow code and coil count

#1738 5 years ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

I just expected more chatter

I don't think they chatter.

I think they do.

#1739 5 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

I don't think they chatter.
I think they do.

You're always such a helpful and positive guy Lloyd. For working for another company, yet stressing your love of the medium, and wishing good success and fun for all....is always a delight to see in these various threads!

Total side note, I was installing Cliffy's last night, and did exactly what you said regarding getting the playfield ALLLLLL the way out before lifting, and voila, no worries or fallen playfield! (Next time I just have to make sure to ball eject all the balls prior to working on it, haha! Just didn't figure I'd need to lift it, but once I started working, that fourth rail screw needed loosened.)

You're the man Lloyd!

#1740 5 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

You're always such a helpful and positive guy Lloyd. For working for another company, yet stressing your love of the medium, and wishing good success and fun for all....is always a delight to see in these various threads!

Thank you for the kind words my friend !

#1741 5 years ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

I just expected more chatter The Munster's thread has 3000 posts about shallow code and coil count

Thank god for that too.

#1742 5 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

I should point out that besides doing tech support for PPS/CGC, JJP. I'm friends with many of the people who work at JJP, PPS/CGC, Stern, American Pinball, Spooky, Multimorphic.

It's not always about pinball. It can be about the people who make it happen.

#1743 5 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

I should point out that besides doing tech support for PPS/CGC, JJP. I'm friends with many of the people who work at JJP, PPS/CGC, Stern, American Pinball, Spooky, Multimorphic.
It's not always about pinball. It can be about the people who make it happen.

I'm not surprised to hear that at all! You're a very forthright, experienced, and amiable person, and your exuberance and appreciation of the medium, as well as it's many fans and makers, is readily apparent to those of us on, and surely off, this forum.

#1744 5 years ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

Kaneda keeps bitching about this same issue lately every time he talks about American Pinball. I'm sure - as Lloyd has already responded - that AP is busy finishing the game (as well as moving to a new facility) and waiting to reveal the final version accordingly. Probably at TPF based on past history. Drives me crazy with Kaneda as he's the one who's ALWAYS preaching that companies should stay low until a game is finished - yet he seems to disregard his own sermons a lot. Of course, he has also made it clear that he's NO fan of Houdini or Oktoberfest as well - which is a shame.

Anyway on a positive note, I'm REALLY looking forward to Oktoberfest being finished, but I hope AP continues to focus on making another high quality game rather than rushing it to market!

#1745 5 years ago

Kaneda keeps bitching about this same issue lately every time he talks about American Pinball. I'm sure - as Lloyd has already responded - that AP is busy finishing the game (as well as moving to a new facility) and waiting to reveal the final version accordingly. Probably at TPF based on past history. Drives me crazy with Kaneda as he's the one who's ALWAYS preaching that companies should stay low until a game is finished - yet he seems to disregard his own sermons a lot. Of course, he has also made it clear that he's NO fan of Houdini or Oktoberfest as well - which is a shame.
Anyway on a positive note, I'm REALLY looking forward to Oktoberfest being finished, but I hope AP continues to focus on making another high quality game rather than rushing it to market!

I'd say regardless of what's occurring behind closed doors, allowing the Munsters some breathing room is good for that pin, as well as Oktoberfest. Allowing each new game some time to shine, and people to discuss and enjoy it, helps the market rather than hinder it.

Personally I'd prefer one pin per company per year, and maybe two from Stern. I think that would allow market growth to develop slowly, while lessoning oversaturation.

#1746 5 years ago

Okay, since you guys bumped this post, I'll pipe in.

Things are progressing nicely with Oktoberfest.

Ferret and I are cranking away on code, and I am really happy with how it is coming together. He and I are both pretty passionate and we have really have some great discussions around the rules and philosophy around overall game play.

We did make a few playfield changes and while I won't go into all of them, I'll post a photo below of the scoop change we made. We had already used a 'runoff' on the VUK at the top of the playfield, and Joe was able to do something similar for the scoop, so bounce outs are basically a none issue.

There are also many changes to the art package, including the backglass, cabinet, playfield and plastics. And while the monkey may no longer be on the backglass, he is certainly still a part of Oktoberfest.

I have not listened to Kaneda in awhile, so not sure what he has been saying, but in general, I don't get how anyone who can really criticize a game they have never seen in person, let alone played.

We will certainly bring a few production Oktoberfest machines to TPF, and be sure to attend our seminar to learn more about the changes we have made and about the rules.

Remember that with Oktoberfest Pinball on Tap, every day can be Oktoberfest. I think it is time for a shot and beer.

Here is the scoop photo

IMG_3894 (resized).JPGIMG_3894 (resized).JPG

#1747 5 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

Okay, since you guys bumped this post, I'll pipe in.
Things are progressing nicely with Oktoberfest.
Ferret and I are cranking away on code, and I am really happy with how it is coming together. He and I are both pretty passionate and we have really have some great discussions around the rules and philosophy around overall game play.
We did make a few playfield changes and while I won't go into all of them, I'll post a photo below of the scoop change we made. We had already used a 'runoff' on the VUK at the top of the playfield, and Joe was able to do something similar for the scoop, so bounce outs are basically a none issue.
There are also many changes to the art package, including the backglass, cabinet, playfield and plastics. And while the monkey may no longer be on the backglass, he is certainly still a part of Oktoberfest.
I have not listened to Kaneda in awhile, so not sure what he has been saying, but in general, I don't get how anyone who can really criticize a game they have never seen in person, let alone played.
We will certainly bring a few production Oktoberfest machines to TPF, and be sure to attend our seminar to learn more about the changes we have made and about the rules.
Remember that with Oktoberfest Pinball on Tap, every day can be Oktoberfest. I think it is time for a shot and beer.
Here is the scoop photo
[quoted image]

Oh man!!! That's all really exciting news Josh!

I'm so glad API has chosen another unlicensed theme, and a really colorful and fun one at that! It's always such a refreshing take on rules, gameplay, and overall design anesthetics. Definitely on my list of pins to look forward to this year, and hopefully buy, woo-hoo...!

#1748 5 years ago

Just to add a bit to @rosh’s comments... the code on this game will be very solid when it ships. Of course we’ll still refine choreography, scoring balance, any bug fixes needed, but no one should be asking where the code is. There’s a ton to do in the game, and you’ll be able to have a lot of fun just shooting around, or by creating complex strategies, whatever you prefer.

Can’t wait for everyone to get to play Oktoberfest!

#1749 5 years ago
Quoted from Ferret:

Can’t wait for everyone to get to play Oktoberfest!

Going to be an exciting Texas Pinball Festival. Joe and Josh are on the speaker list there. And get to play Octoberfest !

#1750 5 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

rosh any news or updates regarding the adult art package that was mentioned a few months back? Thanks for the update above everything about the game is sounding and shaping up nicely!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 7,795.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 7,899.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 39.99
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

8,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dixon, CA
$ 129.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 8,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 140.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Playfield - Other
RavSpec

$ 11.99
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

$ 7,795.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

6,100 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Queen Creek, AZ
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 4,992 posts in this topic. You are on page 35 of 100.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/joe-balcer-confirms-oktoberfest-as-american-pinbals-next-pin/page/35?hl=mcbpalisade and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.