(Topic ID: 224963)

Joe Balcer confirms Oktoberfest as American Pinball's next pin.

By PismoArcade

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 4,992 posts
  • 466 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Ferret
  • Topic is favorited by 79 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

8880f5e6998fb0663ff4a9a77f40c92eb6c125f2 (resized).png
okt (resized).jpg
59547925-ED73-4D13-9C0B-C0B4DB7F1F2C (resized).jpeg
20210418_173000 (resized).jpg
IMG_8199 (resized).jpg
20211127_232248 (resized).jpg
BLKFRIDAY2021 (1) (resized).png
16341706819071145026220657450351 (resized).jpg
AAAABWnlUYQGnwPYrDFi3t2ZJg8xDmhdqB2hGmDLTPnpLg4SjPq15X8P8IAl66bSXZXeQjCVgv9i_WrsIbMEvcUa9pH863X- (resized).jpg
20211006_190939 (resized).jpg
47cc5c7a51600f42dccc5022b9550eca8025c861 (resized).jpg
IMG_7361 (resized).jpg
IMG_7362 (resized).jpg
Okt upgraded coil stop - blue = new (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
20210620_160449 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 4,992 posts in this topic. You are on page 34 of 100.
#1651 5 years ago

(to follow)

#1652 5 years ago

Just some recap on my part of the show and customer response.
First off:
Barry is right long days. Fri 2-12 show hours, game was up and running from 8:30 am till 1:30 am when I shut it off. Sat 9am till 2 am, Sunday 9-3ish
That's long days on your feet with customers and maintaining a booth with show games.

Second: The complaint I heard the most was the music mix. (as I explained it was a basic expo code)

Third: When will it be available to buy? (I mentioned possibly some by the end of the year.)

Fourth: Will I be able to get the original back glass? (I don't know )

Fifth: Is this the final playfield layout? (from my understanding there will be some tweaks, but I will let AP mention those)

Last but not least Sixth: Where can I buy it? From me (Pincades) or from the distributor list on API website.

Pincades
API Dist.
Jesse T

20181130_120726 (resized).jpg20181130_120726 (resized).jpg20181130_120728 (resized).jpg20181130_120728 (resized).jpg20181130_120735 (resized).jpg20181130_120735 (resized).jpg20181130_121102 (resized).jpg20181130_121102 (resized).jpg20181130_121117 (resized).jpg20181130_121117 (resized).jpg20181130_121140 (resized).jpg20181130_121140 (resized).jpg
#1653 5 years ago

I never realized Oktoberfest was a widebody before.

#1654 5 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

I never realized Oktoberfest was a widebody before.

I dont think it is a widebody???
Ferrett,Rosh,Barry???

#1655 5 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

I dont think it is a widebody???
Ferrett,Rosh,Barry???

Look at the pic next to the Houdinis.

#1657 5 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

It’s just damn hard to hit. I don’t think I hit it once in 20 games.

Sounds just like the treehouse ramp shot on my TSPP. Rarely can hit it and very similar looking design by Joe Balcer.

#1658 5 years ago

The camera is adding 100lbs.

#1660 5 years ago
Quoted from Jamaster10:

Just some recap on my part of the show and customer response.
First off:
Barry is right long days. Fri 2-12 show hours, game was up and running from 8:30 am till 1:30 am when I shut it off. Sat 9am till 2 am, Sunday 9-3ish
That's long days on your feet with customers and maintaining a booth with show games.
Second: The complaint I heard the most was the music mix. (as I explained it was a basic expo code)
Third: When will it be available to buy? (I mentioned possibly some by the end of the year.)
Fourth: Will I be able to get the original back glass? (I don't know )
Fifth: Is this the final playfield layout? (from my understanding there will be some tweaks, but I will let AP mention those)
Last but not least Sixth: Where can I buy it? From me (Pincades) or from the distributor list on API website.
Pincades
API Dist.
Jesse T[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Thanks for the pics and updates, I am slowing becoming an AP fan.

I would like to be able to read the whole word "Oktoberfest" on the side if that gets redone just makes more sense but if it's in a row of pins who cares right.

There really is a lot in this game, can't wait to play it.

Is there another game that has 2 physical multi-ball locks that hold more than 1 ball? This has the Rollercoaster lock and the Beer Barrel lock correct? If they both can lock balls how many balls do you load into this machine?

#1661 5 years ago
Quoted from BertoDRINK1:

Is there another game that has 2 physical multi-ball locks that hold more than 1 ball? This has the Rollercoaster lock and the Beer Barrel lock correct?

Houdini also has two physical multi-ball locks (one below the playfield on the right side and one on the playfield on the left under the ramp), although the way they are used is different. Oktoberfest uses them more as a traditional lock, especially the beer barrel, which allows stealing of locked balls. Houdini uses them more for staging to be able to release the ball from different places as part of the "magic" as well as helping the player by feeding a ball to the right or left flipper based on what shots are lit.

#1662 5 years ago

I don’t know how difficult it is to get music rights from a polka band, but I’d love to hear Eddie Blazonczyk’s “Apples, Peaches, Pumpkin pie” (hilarious lyrics) in there somewhere or “I want to be polka hero” for some victory lap music...just your run of the mill tradition polka tunes

#1663 5 years ago

So you're saying Wierd Al is out?

#1664 5 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

So you're saying Wierd Al is out?

Oh God, yes please. No weird Al.

#1665 5 years ago

Only polka song I actually know that isn't Weird Al:

#1666 5 years ago

We want Frankie - THE Polka King!

FY (resized).jpgFY (resized).jpg

#1667 5 years ago
Quoted from BertoDRINK1:

If they both can lock balls how many balls do you load into this machine?

Oktoberfest is a six ball game.

#1668 5 years ago
Quoted from Ferret:

Oktoberfest is a six ball game.

That poor, poor, monkey.

Need more band aids.

LTG : )

#1669 5 years ago
Quoted from wyopin:

I don’t know how difficult it is to get music rights from a polka band, but I’d love to hear Eddie Blazonczyk’s “Apples, Peaches, Pumpkin pie” (hilarious lyrics) in there somewhere or “I want to be polka hero” for some victory lap music...just your run of the mill tradition polka tunes

I would think it would be hard to get songs with lyrics in vs just polka music and better voices/call outs. They are trying for a rock and polka mix. If they start trying to use songs with lyrics you get to the weird Guridians of the Galaxy stuff, when you finally get a song going you drain and never get to actually hear much of the song.
I think the foundation is there with the rock and polka mix it just need more tweeking.

Think about all the great DMD titles we loved, most had their own unique music and call outs nothing sampled till when the early 2000's but the great funs pins just had at times simple catchy tunes and call outs that where bearable for a long time.

#1670 5 years ago

Best music ever for this pin:

Btw: I bought a Houdini last week and I LOVE it ! Interested in OF also.

#1671 5 years ago
Quoted from ronaldvg:

Best music ever for this pin:

Btw: I bought a Houdini last week and I LOVE it ! Interested in OF also.

You are a wise man.

#1672 5 years ago

Fallen a little behind on this thread what with being in hospital, is there an ETA on the optional adult artwork? Thanks in advance.

#1673 5 years ago

You guys are harsh. Sounds like a perectly good theme to me. I rather have something more unique like that than your typical superhero movie or decades old rock band. Stuff like that has been done to death.

well it IS Pinside.

#1674 5 years ago
Quoted from pinbuoy:

You guys are harsh. Sounds like a perectly good theme to me. I rather have something more unique like that than your typical superhero movie or decades old rock band. Stuff like that has been done to death.

well it IS Pinside.

+1

I think the theme is very cool and unique. Really looking forward to seeing, playing, and then hopefully, buying the finished game!

#1675 5 years ago

How to Incite the Wrath of @rosh, Part 1

IMG_0610 (2) (resized).JPGIMG_0610 (2) (resized).JPG
#1676 5 years ago
Quoted from Nirm:

How to Incite the Wrath of rosh, Part 1

That is a serious touch. And only part one.

Poor, poor rosh.

Disclaimer : Pay backs are a b*tch. You are going to be wearing that little guy in unmentionable places.

#1677 5 years ago
Quoted from Nirm:

How to Incite the Wrath of rosh, Part 1

American Pinball's crew sure seems to enjoy their work. I am glad to see that.

#1678 5 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

That is a serious touch. And only part one.
Poor, poor rosh.

Not poor poor Rosh, poor poor anyone who does not heed the warning. People here know that they don't want to make me mad and get on my bad side, and the only bigger mistake you can make around here, is making Balcer mad. If I set up a machine or test rig to do some testing, whether during the day or overnight, it sure as heck better be exactly as I left it when I return. There are some who have learned this the hard way.

So far Nirmal has played it safe, at least with me, although not sure I am happy with him posting that here, and him touching that note to be a wise ass is walking a fine line, so I'll keep your suggestion in mind about where he should be wearing that little guy

#1679 5 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Pay backs are a b*tch. You are going to be wearing that little guy in unmentionable places

...I didn't think this through, did I?

2 weeks later
#1680 5 years ago

Any end of year updates?

#1681 5 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Any end of year updates?

Haven't heard any yet.

They were hoping to be in the new building by the end of the year and 30 Octoberfests shipped by then.

They also are working hard to do the best they can. So it wouldn't surprise me to see delays rather than sacrificing quality.

I'm sure we'll hear great things soon.

#1682 5 years ago

I had a distributor say March at the earliest (for an order now) . Not sure how accurate that will be.

#1683 5 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

They were hoping to be in the new building by the end of the year and 30 Octoberfests shipped by then.

and that was also woefully wishful thinking at the time

#1684 5 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Haven't heard any yet.
They also are working hard to do the best they can. So it wouldn't surprise me to see delays rather than sacrificing quality.
I'm sure we'll hear great things soon.

Yeah, I really hope they delay it by at least 3 months to do some substantial polishing on the art/animation/music. If they launch it as it's been seen recently, it's going to flop hard.

#1685 5 years ago

My advice to them would be to stay quiet and then, if it's ready, go into production and have the final, revised machine showing at TPF and available to buy immediately. Only 2 and a half months now. It makes no sense to try to squeeze it out sooner.

#1686 5 years ago

Is this the final art for the back glass?
The cabinet art looks better but not a fan of the roof line shingles.
I could live with this.

Untitled (resized).pngUntitled (resized).pngoktoberfest-pinball-machine (resized).pngoktoberfest-pinball-machine (resized).png
#1687 5 years ago
Quoted from HOOKED:

No idea.

Game looks great !

#1688 5 years ago

Take your time and get it right AP. I’m a buyer and happy to wait as long as you need. Gonna be fun!!

#1689 5 years ago

Every time some art leaks someone from AP shows up to say "that's not actually it", so I'll wait until something official is posted. But if that's final I think it's fine for what it is. If you don't like it you probably don't like the entire theme in the first place, I don't think they're going to make Oktoberfest haters into fans of the theme and look at this point.

#1690 5 years ago

If true, good to see characters not covering up the lettering on the side. Quite a change on the backglass.

#1691 5 years ago
Quoted from HOOKED:

The cabinet art looks better but not a fan of the roof line shingles.
I could live with this.
[quoted image][quoted image]

They really didn't change much on the cab sides. Took off the giant logo-blocking characters, moved the company logo, added a few flowers by the parchment.

#1692 5 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

No idea.
Game looks great !

Looks great indeed, next is play field and then they have a great looking pin.

#1693 5 years ago
Quoted from DerGoetz:

Looks great indeed, next is play field and then they have a great looking pin.

I think the playfield is fine it the plastics that need to be redone to match the drawn art.

#1694 5 years ago

These were just photos I ran across on the site nothing to secret at all. Just waiting on playfield pictures and hope for a Texas reveal.

#1695 5 years ago

Regardless of whether it's final or not, it's a gigantic improvement.

Hope they give the playfield and plastics the same attention.

Whilst they're dealing with cosmetics ... PLEASE PLEASE remove that horribly ugly AP decal from the middle of the backbox. Have some little metal headbadges made (the colour logo doesn't look great anyway). They'd cost less than a $ per machine, and it'd look so much better and more professional.

Nobody but nobody liked it on Houdini, and replacements were sold.

#1696 5 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

Whilst they're dealing with cosmetics ... PLEASE PLEASE remove that horribly ugly AP decal from the middle of the backbox. Have some little metal headbadges made (the colour logo doesn't look great anyway). They'd cost less than a $ per machine, and it'd look so much better and more professional.

It’s a step in the right direction for sure - look forward to seeing final.

Any idea on where those replacement badges can be found?

#1697 5 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

Pretty good point here IMO

#1698 5 years ago
Quoted from Zaquar:

Can't find it now, but someone did make something.

Did find this - https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/american-pinball-houdini-thread/page/95#post-4482819

GAP had them for the lower speaker panel rather than upper. But IMO it'd look better replacing the AP logo.

#1699 5 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

Can't find it now, but someone did make something.
Did find this - https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/american-pinball-houdini-thread/page/95#post-4482819
GAP had them for the lower speaker panel rather than upper. But IMO it'd look better replacing the AP logo.

Agreed - even simple silver/grey all one color would look better - thanks for the reply.

#1700 5 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

Thank you. I make the replacement header.

Quoted from Zaquar:

Just see my ad at end of my details.
Oktoberfest header coming.
Or tap my Biz name. Mod magic.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 7,899.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

Machine - For Sale
Queen Creek, AZ
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 11.99
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

$ 39.99
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

8,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dixon, CA
$ 8,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 7,795.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 7,795.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 140.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 129.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

There are 4,992 posts in this topic. You are on page 34 of 100.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/joe-balcer-confirms-oktoberfest-as-american-pinbals-next-pin/page/34 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.