(Topic ID: 224963)

Joe Balcer confirms Oktoberfest as American Pinball's next pin.

By PismoArcade

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 4,992 posts
  • 466 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Ferret
  • Topic is favorited by 79 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

8880f5e6998fb0663ff4a9a77f40c92eb6c125f2 (resized).png
okt (resized).jpg
59547925-ED73-4D13-9C0B-C0B4DB7F1F2C (resized).jpeg
20210418_173000 (resized).jpg
IMG_8199 (resized).jpg
20211127_232248 (resized).jpg
BLKFRIDAY2021 (1) (resized).png
16341706819071145026220657450351 (resized).jpg
AAAABWnlUYQGnwPYrDFi3t2ZJg8xDmhdqB2hGmDLTPnpLg4SjPq15X8P8IAl66bSXZXeQjCVgv9i_WrsIbMEvcUa9pH863X- (resized).jpg
20211006_190939 (resized).jpg
47cc5c7a51600f42dccc5022b9550eca8025c861 (resized).jpg
IMG_7361 (resized).jpg
IMG_7362 (resized).jpg
Okt upgraded coil stop - blue = new (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
20210620_160449 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 4,992 posts in this topic. You are on page 33 of 100.
#1601 5 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Oktoberfest is live!!
www.twitch.tv/sdtmpinball

Why is everyone sitting to play?

Still not feeling the generic metal music. The transitions to traditional Oktoberfest music and back again are jarring. It's just too different.

#1602 5 years ago

Just watched a little but I got the feeling they get bored or not motivated. I hope a video that makes justice to the game.
However, I’m really hoping huge lcd animations improvements.
Still can stand this metal music. Terrible

#1603 5 years ago

I watched the whole stream and could not find Waldo on the playfield, any pointers?

#1604 5 years ago

Watched some of the stream as well - agree with comments on metal music, still think it looks cool and interesting. Fingers crossed the new art helps push me over the fence!

#1605 5 years ago

Played it, on location the music is not a problem. The game shoots and feels fantastic.

#1606 5 years ago
Quoted from colonel_caverne:

Just watched a little but I got the feeling they get bored or not motivated.

Maybe tired, been a long day.

LTG : )

#1607 5 years ago

I’ve never been to a show where the vendors or companies stayed until past midnight. AP crew is great. OF is tons of fun. Can’t wait to see it get fleshed out.

#1608 5 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

I’ve never been to a show where the vendors or companies stayed until past midnight. AP crew is great. OF is tons of fun. Can’t wait to see it get fleshed out.

Nothing like being there early. Setting the game up. And then 15 hours or more later, call it a day. People may not understand the hard work and long hours.

I saw Barry on your twitch feed with the stuck ball, and he was still going strong. AP crew is great !

#1609 5 years ago

Music sounds fine to me. Needs variety because non stop polka would drive people to MAD-NESS!

#1610 5 years ago

Just watched some of the stream and I still like what I see. Lots of differnt shots and modes.
The music and voices still need tweaking though. that heavy metal was getting old quick and just doesn't seem to fit the pin. I understand non stop polka could also be a problem but that real heavy metal is also a problem. The transitions seemed good though.
I'm definitely still in the OF camp I like what I'm seeing.

#1611 5 years ago

In the sdtm stream, the lcd explains where to shoot. Most never looked up or followed the hints, Dennis did all right. The insert lighting was not good showing where to aim, either. Instead there seemed to be lights in different areas blinking at the same time. So further lighting improvements are needed as code continues to change.

#1612 5 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Music sounds fine to me. Needs variety because non stop polka would drive people to MAD-NESS!

It doesn't need to be a polka packed soundtrack, but it DOES need to be a cohesive package. Houdini is for the most part very cohesive musically. Oktoberfest thus far is not and the changes are jarring. Jarring is bad.

#1613 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

It doesn't need to be a polka packed soundtrack, but it DOES need to be a cohesive package. Houdini is for the most part very cohesive musically. Oktoberfest thus far is not and the changes are jarring. Jarring is bad.

JarJar ?

#1614 5 years ago

Jarring/JarJar, same diff. Bad.

#1615 5 years ago

I don’t know if i’m the only one to find the lcd animations weak and then it needs big enhancements or if i’m biased coz of the awesome lcd animations package of ACNC.

#1616 5 years ago

SDTM Chuck Wurt and gang stream American Pinball Oktoberfest

#1617 5 years ago

Chuck is the man. Do hope API can work on animations for this game. Needs to be a bit less motion slide show. Going to wait and see/play the final product this time.

#1618 5 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Chuck is the man. Do hope API can work on animations for this game. Needs to be a bit less motion slide show. Going to wait and see/play the final product this time.

AND the music.....Just watching 5 minutes of video it gets old fast, and with long ball times it will really get old in Home environment.

#1619 5 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

AND the music.....Just watching 5 minutes of video it gets old fast, and with long ball times it will really get old in Home environment.

Music is arguably most important since you hear that while you're playing and can't watch the screen. Animation is mostly for people watching. I mean, both need a lot of work, but the music is by no means close to working.

#1620 5 years ago

I love the music. You're never going to satisfy everyone but I think it's a good balance between the traditional polka-style elements and a hard driving, video game-like soundtrack. I'm sure there is a lot of work left to be done to polish the soundtrack so be patient. I believe Houdini had like 4 main themes in the sound package but not every sound asset was being used in the early releases. Then tying all of it together with the callouts and sound effects is a huge effort.

My beef with Oktoberfest (and Houdini) is the animations. Sorry, but API needs someone else on board that is more talented in the animation department.

#1621 5 years ago

Yeah this is the first time I've been able to hear the music on this game. It's great! A really cool mix between polka and hard rock.

LCD animations still suck Who puts purple text over a blue background?

#1623 5 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Who puts purple text over a blue background?

Sorry, where do we have purple on blue? I'll be glad to address any legibility issues... sometimes we've stared at these things for so long that we're running on autopilot, so I appreciate any constructive feedback on what you've seen.

The machine I saw streamed at Pincinnati appears to be running Expo code (or close to it)... we've completed and refined lots more stuff since then... with plenty more still to be done. Certainly our goal is to have this be a game that everyone loves.

#1624 5 years ago
Quoted from Ferret:

Sorry, where do we have purple on blue?

Oktoberfest Purple on Blue (resized).pngOktoberfest Purple on Blue (resized).png

#1625 5 years ago

Yeah that's where I saw it too.

Try white text with a nice black stroke and maybe use pink instead of white squares on background.

#1626 5 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Yeah that's where I saw it too.
Try white text with a nice black stroke and maybe use pink instead of white squares on background.

More Pink:

#1627 5 years ago

Ah, gotcha, thanks solarvalue and @benheck. I'll get that cleaned up.

The blue and white checkerboard pattern isn't changing, that's the Bavarian flag, so that pattern is pretty ubiquitous.

#1628 5 years ago

Just so you all know, the code on the machine at pincinnatti was pretty much the same code that was at Expo. While the code has progressed quite a bit, it is relatively untested and therefore was not put on that machine.

#1629 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Why is everyone sitting to play?
Still not feeling the generic metal music. The transitions to traditional Oktoberfest music and back again are jarring. It's just too different.

They were having a competition, so everyone in that game had to sit while they played.

Quoted from chuckwurt:

Saturday was over 14 hours for me.. Annnnd 8 am I am at work on Monday. WTH

Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

We had really basic code on the machine with extra long ball save times, so everyone would have the ability to play the machine long enough to get a feel for it.. Believe in me, the ball times are way shorter on the real code.

#1630 5 years ago
Quoted from BarryJ:

You’re a better man than me sir. I’m not standing at all today. Haha

#1631 5 years ago

New pins, hard work, long hours, community effort...unsung heroes. Kudos! Looking forward to checking out the VOD replay, but can’t wait to see what comes next (code wise) with OKTOBERFEST.

#1632 5 years ago
Quoted from BarryJ:

That's why they pay you the big money.

#1633 5 years ago
Quoted from BarryJ:

They were having a competition, so everyone in that game had to sit while they played.

We had really basic code on the machine with extra long ball save times, so everyone would have the ability to play the machine long enough to get a feel for it.. Believe in me, the ball times are way shorter on the real code.

Great meeting and shooting the bull with you Barry, thanks so much again for making the trip and bringing Oktoberfest, can't wait to see the progress.

#1634 5 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

She's not alone! People were too distracted by the monkey to realize one of the girls he was grabbing was MISSING A LEG.
Maybe he was a support animal - literally supporting her by holding onto her ass?

Why is everyone complaining she is missing a leg? She is bending her right knee lifting her right foot up. The right leg is correctly hidden behind the left leg. This is like saying the monkey is missing a hand behind that skirt.

#1635 5 years ago

I'm sure it's been discussed but is there a publicly announced target date for O-fest to start shipping? I'm getting excited to try one out on route ...

#1636 5 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

I'm sure it's been discussed but is there a publicly announced target date for O-fest to start shipping? I'm getting excited to try one out on route ...

We are trying to ship 30 units by end of the year.

#1637 5 years ago
Quoted from BarryJ:

I've seen your people at work. Even with the new building and everything else going on. I'll bet you do it.

Great times for American Pinball !

#1638 5 years ago
Quoted from BarryJ:

How many fatalities are figured into that?

#1639 5 years ago

Here is how the game industry fans react to bad fonts in $60 products:

Ah the game industry... pinball companies wouldn't last 3 nanoseconds with those fans.

#1640 5 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

hes-right-you-know-32644960 (resized).pnghes-right-you-know-32644960 (resized).png

Simple code patch for that at least...

#1641 5 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Ah the game industry... pinball companies wouldn't last 3 nanoseconds with those fans.

Yeah but they have development cost of usually over 50 million dollars for those top games and they sell over a million copies. Not really the same thing VS the small teams developing these pins.

#1642 5 years ago
Quoted from BertoDRINK1:

Yeah but they have development cost of usually over 50 million dollars for those top games and they sell over a million copies. Not really the same thing VS the small teams developing these pins.

Harmonious design (including fonts) can be done for very little money. It's a matter of attention to detail.

And top games aren't 50 million anymore. They were already up to 5 million almost 30 years ago in 1990. The topmost blockbusters are in the hundreds of millions now.

#1643 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Harmonious design (including fonts) can be done for very little money. It's a matter of attention to detail.
And top games aren't 50 million anymore. They were already up to 5 million almost 30 years ago in 1990. The topmost blockbusters are in the hundreds of millions now.

According to Google Battlefield 4 cost 100 million and sold 1.6 million copies but who cares it doesn't have anything to do with Oktoberfest.

If those details can be done for very little money they can be done later.
AP needs to finish the Art package first so the game can get produced. Then they can iron out these other details.
I just watched almost the whole SDTM stream last night while I cooked and ate dinner and the music is still on the top of issues for me that hard rock just doesn't fit.
The art package needs be finished then the code and music then these LCD details.

Blackrose has one of the worst dmd packages but it's still one of my personal favorites. You don't play the on the LCD screen you play the pinball machine.

I hope AP can just ad the music selection at the start of the game Left Button "Rock Out" Right Button More Traditional to satisfy everyone.

I'm still in the camp of let's get the Chicken Dance song on that thing as more important than the Font used on some random screen flashed on the LCD

#1644 5 years ago
Quoted from BertoDRINK1:

There's plenty of Stern LCD games that slap light colored text on light backgrounds as well.

A design should work in black and white, then think about color. If you squint your eyes and can't tell what's going on that's a fail!

#1645 5 years ago

I thought the music was just fine for the game, there are some mechanical and design issues that need tweaked and in my conversations with Barry and Nirmal at Pincinnati it was obvious they know that and are working on it. I think it says a lot about them that they were still willing to bring the game, warts and all to the show and I am very much looking forward to how it progresses, there is a LOT of potential for a amazing game. I also applaud Jeff Busch for his tribute to the monkey on the (presumably) temporary backglass that was on the game, I literally LOL'd.

#1646 5 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

There's plenty of Stern LCD games that slap light colored text on light backgrounds as well.
A design should work in black and white, then think about color. If you squint your eyes and can't tell what's going on that's a fail!

Font usage is my biggest issue with Houdini, and the animations and LCD art being fairly choppy, and having proportion issues and just seeming somewhat crude. The table layout and art, and blade art is all excellent, but other than the Seance gal on the LCD, there's a lot of polish that could be applied. This is where I feel JJP somewhat does things best presently, though the floating dancing scarecrow and other characters, still get on my nerves. The Hobbit is simply sublime though.

#1647 5 years ago

Great job Chuck!

I thought the game looks great. Music is fine with me. Ferret looks like he's got a lot already in the game, hopefully more to come.

Love the layout and the shots.

Gotta integrate the Beer keg lock into the game more, i think i've seen it once?

#1648 5 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Gotta integrate the Beer keg lock into the game more, i think i've seen it once?

It’s just damn hard to hit. I don’t think I hit it once in 20 games.

#1649 5 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

It’s just damn hard to hit. I don’t think I hit it once in 20 games.

That was one of the shots Barry told me they were working on. I thought Nirmal was blowing smoke up my ass when I played my first game, hit it twice quickly and he said how difficult it was, he's correct.

#1650 5 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Ferret looks like he's got a lot already in the game, hopefully more to come.

Of course! Tons more rules have been implemented since the version of code that was seen at Expo/Pincinnati, with still more to come.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 39.99
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation
Decorations
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
Playfield - Other
RavSpec
Other
$ 7,795.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
Pinball Machine
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 7,795.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation
Pinball Machine
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
There are 4,992 posts in this topic. You are on page 33 of 100.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/joe-balcer-confirms-oktoberfest-as-american-pinbals-next-pin/page/33 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.