(Topic ID: 224963)

Joe Balcer confirms Oktoberfest as American Pinball's next pin.

By PismoArcade

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 4,992 posts
  • 466 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Ferret
  • Topic is favorited by 79 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

8880f5e6998fb0663ff4a9a77f40c92eb6c125f2 (resized).png
okt (resized).jpg
59547925-ED73-4D13-9C0B-C0B4DB7F1F2C (resized).jpeg
20210418_173000 (resized).jpg
IMG_8199 (resized).jpg
20211127_232248 (resized).jpg
BLKFRIDAY2021 (1) (resized).png
16341706819071145026220657450351 (resized).jpg
AAAABWnlUYQGnwPYrDFi3t2ZJg8xDmhdqB2hGmDLTPnpLg4SjPq15X8P8IAl66bSXZXeQjCVgv9i_WrsIbMEvcUa9pH863X- (resized).jpg
20211006_190939 (resized).jpg
47cc5c7a51600f42dccc5022b9550eca8025c861 (resized).jpg
IMG_7361 (resized).jpg
IMG_7362 (resized).jpg
Okt upgraded coil stop - blue = new (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
20210620_160449 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 4,992 posts in this topic. You are on page 28 of 100.
#1351 5 years ago

I half get the animation argument. Sure, I don’t want junk but I am not playing the animations. I looking at a playfield. If it’s up to me, I want more of a companies development money spent on playfield design, art and rules before animations.

I think people forget the price here too. If this was a $8500+ jjp game, I would expect amazing animations. Not knowing price, I assume this is a low $7k game. I think you are getting a lot of bang for your buck here. We can’t have everything and there are trade offs Pinball manufacturers need to make. This argument doesn’t just apply to AP but all manufacturers.

#1352 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I keep seeing comments like this, are the bars where people live actually full of pinball machines? Because outside of barcades I've never been in a bar with a pin. It's not the '80s anymore.
Are we done discussing Oktoberfest? Turned into the ACDC (my fault I guess) Hobbit and Thunderbirds thread.
Who played it at Expo? Someone want to give some more hands on impressions? How it plays feels like the most interesting part of the game.

When all the big arcades died out in the late 80's early 90's the only place you could find pins where bars and pizza joints around here. Even in today's times a few arcades popped back up but if you're lucky they might have one beat up pin. The best place to play in Harrisburg is a bar. River City blues and Dart club. It's not a barcade. It's just a sports bar with a row of pins on one wall.

rvc1 (resized).jpgrvc1 (resized).jpg
#1353 5 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

Not exactly what I said, I came around after I learned what Oktoberfest was really all about. But certainly I was not the only one, and while it is a reasonable argument to say that if folks don't get the theme, it is not a good theme, but at the same time I think we have seen how quickly you can change that perception. Might be it is better to have a theme folks are not initially excited about and then let the machine convince them otherwise, than to have a theme everyone is excited about, and then end up having it not living up to expectations. Of course worse case is a theme folks are not excited about and then prove them right. I have no doubt all of you can all put recent games into each of these buckets.
I read all of the comments and posts both positive and negative, as do others at American Pinball. Some I agree with some I don't. For example, I think those who have played the game have walked away with very different feel for the music, then those who have only seen it on the stream. Not saying everyone is going to love it, but clearly the steam did not do it justice, both in the variety of music and the actual compositions. As I've posted previously, I expect the mix to be 75/25, polka/oom-pa to rock, right now it is probably 40/60. What is most important is to have variety so none of it gets old. Music needs to not just fit the theme, but fit the mode or multiball to create the right atmosphere and energy.
Some of the animations I am happy with, some I am not, and some where clearly placeholders. Plenty of comments by critics in this thread on the animations and few who fully understand the dynamics around it. Things will change, but I have no doubt, they will never live up to some people's expectations.
Very strong and diverse opinions on the art package, no surprise there, in fact I put money on it. I have come to learn that art is probably thing thing folks get most worked up over, especially right after a reveal. Whether things change with it, time will tell. At the end of the day, I only know of 10 things carved in stone.
If there were questions or things posted that you would like a response to, post them again, I was keeping up with the thread over the course of the show, but don't recall if there was anything in particular that a response is needed for, sort of got lost int he AC/DC, Thunderbirds conversation.

Are you guys attending the Expo in Nashville next month? I really want to play this game.

#1354 5 years ago

I would still like to see an Alternate backglass available. Maybe more Women, and people facing me. Yes, a little adult.

#1355 5 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

and people facing me. Yes, a little adult.

The monkey in the lower right corner ? He'd have a woodie, that would be adult for sure.

LTG : )

#1356 5 years ago

Rosh

The game needs titties & better animations.

Other than that it really looks cool.

Kudos to all involved.

#1357 5 years ago
Quoted from groffdaddy:

Are you guys attending the Expo in Nashville next month? I really want to play this game.

Flipnout pinball is trying to get an Oktoberfest for the show. Will just depend on availability and if it makes sense to AP to send one.

#1358 5 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

Flipnout pinball is trying to get an Oktoberfest for the show. Will just depend on availability and if it makes sense to AP to send one.

That would be great!

#1359 5 years ago
Quoted from arcademojo:

When all the big arcades died out in the late 80's early 90's the only place you could find pins where bars and pizza joints around here. Even in today's times a few arcades popped back up but if you're lucky they might have one beat up pin. The best place to play in Harrisburg is a bar. River City blues and Dart club. It's not a barcade. It's just a sports bar with a row of pins on one wall.
[quoted image]

One of these pins is not like the others
One of these pins sure doesn't belong

#1360 5 years ago

I like it, a lot! Good chance this might be my first NIB. Things I would consider changing...

1. Mustache girl has got to go.

2. Corkscrew is a very American name, would go with something like Loopingbahn or something bahn. But I get that a lot of people might not think it's a coaster.

3. Would give some ride names to the VUK and the 180 ramp. Maybe Loopingbahn for the 180, or München Loop if you want to play off RCT's Chicago Loop. Or is that already going to be the Looper mentioned on one of the tents? Skyshot, slingshot, launcherbahn for the VUK? Not sure what's trademarked.

4. I like the brightness of the right art blade (would remove Otto and whats-er-name), but I do like the barrel blade also. Would like to see how it looks with bright on both side though.

5. Hide some coneheads in there somewhere, tribute to Python.

Anyway, thanks for listening to all our suggestions! Can't wait to see the final product!

#1361 5 years ago
Quoted from jaytrem:

... (would remove Otto and whats-er-name) ...

Unlike some, I'm fine with the drawn Otto and Greta characters. It's the turning Otto head on the playfield that I'd like to see changed to another that better matches his drawn form.

#1362 5 years ago
Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

Unlike some, I'm fine with the drawn Otto and Greta characters. It's the turning Otto head on the playfield that I'd like to see changed to another that better matches his drawn form.

I felt that the head on the PF was a rough prototype. I HOPE that's the case as it needs work. It's not JJP witch model bad, but still a pretty poor representation of the one from the art.

#1363 5 years ago
Quoted from jaytrem:

Skyshot, slingshot, launcherbahn for the VUK?

When it's not the Food Stand, the VUK is called the Sky Slide, and has a tent feature dedicated to it (although that tent was not enabled in the Expo build).

#1364 5 years ago

Game art looks good to me, now if I was going to hang it on my wall then maybe I would want more but I’m not going to hang it on my wall I’m going to play it. From what I seen the roller coaster ramp looked cool, maybe you can add a mode so you can shoot that ramp and see the ball jam all the way around without stopping at the coaster lock. Music sounds pretty good the guitar might be a little overwhelming just a bit, but it’s really cool sounding overall. Maybe add some art to the beer keg ramp,beer bubbles, maybe bar stools or even a bar table. The code seems to be promising and I can’t wait to play this and possibly have it in my game room, good job joe and AP.

#1365 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinphila:

I am not playing the animations. I looking at a playfield. If it’s up to me, I want more of a companies development money spent on playfield design, art and rules before animations.

Agreed, which is why the Alice Cooper approach is so great. They choreograph the static artwork in a way that looks extremely slick and expensive, but is way cheaper to animate than something like the American approach, where they have lots of scenes with lots of moving parts.

But I understand that it’s difficult for American in that if they did something simpler they’d have people complaining that it’s too basic for $7000. Hard to win.

#1366 5 years ago
Quoted from Wildbill327:

From what I seen the roller coaster ramp looked cool, maybe you can add a mode so you can shoot that ramp and see the ball jam all the way around without stopping at the coaster lock.

Alright, here comes technical nitty-gritty.

The lock mechanism has a nice design that when a ball is released, it physically blocks the other balls in the lock so they don't slip by and cause an unintentional multiball. (Anyone remember Cirqus Voltaire high wire lock release glitches? Yeah, none of that in Oktoberfest.) What this means is that if there's already a ball in the coaster lock, we can do a "no stop" pass-through, kinda like LOTR's sword lock. We take advantage of this during the Looper tent, which rewards combo shots on the coaster ramp. However, if there isn't already a ball in the lock, we have to wait for an incoming ball to reach the "front" position before we can release it, which causes a brief stoppage. It'd be cooler if we could speed that stoppage in all situations, but I'm happy to accept that to get super-reliable ejects from the lock.

Fun pinball development trivia: the early whitewood had the coaster ramp but not the coaster lock device. We were shooting the coaster ramp with such speed that occasionally the ball would fly right on through the top stretch of the ramp so fast that it just smacked into the side of the cabinet, instead of following the coaster ramp wireform. Oops.

#1367 5 years ago
Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

I really do like them. I'd actually try to match that style as much as possible for the rest of the game. Just not loving them on the blade art. Not terrible, but I'd probably prefer it without them there.

Quoted from Ferret:

When it's not the Food Stand, the VUK is called the Sky Slide, and has a tent feature dedicated to it (although that tent was not enabled in the Expo build).

Cool, thanks. Is the 180 ramp supposed to be anything specific? Would that be dedicated to the Looper tent, or does that use the Corkscrew? Awesome job so far!!!

#1368 5 years ago

Hey Rosh/Ferret, two decals on the metal (bottom and side) where the ball falls out from the keg would be nice. Looks very naked and unfinished now.

Make it look like bier is flowing out from that keg!

#1369 5 years ago
Quoted from Ferret:

Alright, here comes technical nitty-gritty.
The lock mechanism has a nice design that when a ball is released, it physically blocks the other balls in the lock so they don't slip by and cause an unintentional multiball. (Anyone remember Cirqus Voltaire high wire lock release glitches? Yeah, none of that in Oktoberfest.) What this means is that if there's already a ball in the coaster lock, we can do a "no stop" pass-through, kinda like LOTR's sword lock. We take advantage of this during the Looper tent, which rewards combo shots on the coaster ramp. However, if there isn't already a ball in the lock, we have to wait for an incoming ball to reach the "front" position before we can release it, which causes a brief stoppage. It'd be cooler if we could speed that stoppage in all situations, but I'm happy to accept that to get super-reliable ejects from the lock.
Fun pinball development trivia: the early whitewood had the coaster ramp but not the coaster lock device. We were shooting the coaster ramp with such speed that occasionally the ball would fly right on through the top stretch of the ramp so fast that it just smacked into the side of the cabinet, instead of following the coaster ramp wireform. Oops.

Thanks for the background info!

Is there a watchdog circuit in this game that prevents continuous coil lock-on conditions in the case of shorts or transistor failure? Also are EOS switches standard on this release?

#1370 5 years ago
Quoted from WODKA:

Hey Rosh/Ferret, two decals on the metal (bottom and side) where the ball falls out from the keg would be nice. Looks very naked and unfinished now.

A keg-tap shaped nozzle instead would finish the look.

#1371 5 years ago
Quoted from WODKA:

It could be also a mod in form of a tap?
Édit: answered without have read Vireland. We got the same idea.

#1372 5 years ago
Quoted from Ferret:

Since we're talking about CV "issues" this would be kind of like a really, really good shot to the Acrobats wireform flying off at the top and rolling down the side of the cab. I haven't played it yet but the execution of the coaster lock looked really good in the stream I watched.

#1373 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

A keg-tap shaped nozzle instead would finish the look.

That's the plan

Quoted from PinMonk:

Is there a watchdog circuit in this game that prevents continuous coil lock-on conditions in the case of shorts or transistor failure? Also are EOS switches standard on this release?

Okto's Lower flippers have EOS.

There is a watchdog to prevent a loss of communication between the computer and the control system from resulting in locked coils, but the system does not monitor individual drivers for failures if that is what you are asking

#1374 5 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

That's the plan

The Keg did look a Little naked....The only figure showing skin!....Now that's funny! LOL

#1375 5 years ago

The more rock style music seems well suited to multiball and hurry up modes. I'd like more tradition music during other sections.
A lot to take in on this pin. Can't wait to see one in person.

#1376 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Is there a watchdog circuit in this game that prevents continuous coil lock-on conditions in the case of shorts or transistor failure?

Yes, PD-16s have fuses on them.

#1377 5 years ago
Quoted from Kolchak357:

The more rock style music seems well suited to multiball and hurry up modes. I'd like more tradition music during other sections.
A lot to take in on this pin. Can't wait to see one in person.

Agree. The main theme currently being used doesn't say "Oktoberfest" to me but rather generic rock cover band. Seems out of place as the main theme.

#1378 5 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Agree. The main theme currently being used doesn't say "Oktoberfest" to me but rather generic rock cover band. Seems out of place as the main theme.

There is (or was, not sure they're still around) a Polka-ish band here in Cincinnati that did a version of "Comfortably Numb", it was awesome in a "I've drank a lot of beer" way. Maybe they can get something similar for the game but with songs that wouldn't cost as much as Pink Floyd would.

#1379 5 years ago

I'm confident that with Joe and Rosh on the code front that everything is going to be well thought through. Good code and a layout that looks fun will always be a solid combination. I have no doubt this will be a fun game at all.

My criticisms are more aimed at companies really thinking about the package as a whole, because opening your wallet to the tune of $7000+ is a lot of money, and I think you've got to be able to find that good emotional connection to see that work. I think it's okay to ask for more for that kind of money.

Good news is everyone has different tastes, there's a team listening to feedback, and I'm sure the end result will be the better for it.

#1380 5 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

That's the plan

Okto's Lower flippers have EOS.
There is a watchdog to prevent a loss of communication between the computer and the control system from resulting in locked coils, but the system does not monitor individual drivers for failures if that is what you are asking

Yep, that's what I was asking. I know Houdini didn't have that, and after that early issue that would lock a coil and cause the coated paper to create a lot of smoke (very concerning for a location owner), I was hoping Oktoberfest had this ability.

#1381 5 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

Yes, PD-16s have fuses on them.

Different than a watchdog circuit, and you can still melt a coil without popping the fuse. We did it on Houdini.

#1382 5 years ago

Is the left ramp lifting ramp? Can’t see clearly on pics.

Edit: got my answer on twip.

#1383 5 years ago
Quoted from colonel_caverne:

Is the left ramp lifting ramp? Can’t see clearly on pics.
Edit: got my answer on twip.

Yes, it's a lift ramp and I was a little worried when I first heard that because of some poor implementations of lift-ramps in other games. However those that played the game said it does not feel like a lift ramp when you hit it so I'm encouraged.

#1384 5 years ago

After seeing the Beatles Pin posted by SDTM; can we now relax on Oktoberfest’s art package and consider it a homerun?

#1385 5 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

After seeing the Beatles Pin posted by SDTM; can we now relax on Oktoberfest’s art package and consider it a homerun?

Nope, two things can simultaneously suck.

(Insert joke here)

#1386 5 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

Yes, it's a lift ramp and I was a little worried when I first heard that because of some poor implementations of lift-ramps in other games. However those that played the game said it does not feel like a lift ramp when you hit it so I'm encouraged.

Yeah good call. With having adjustable flipper strengths I bet it won’t be like TWD and need lots of tweaking. At least I hope not.

#1387 5 years ago

Was just checking back in on this game as its been awhile since looking at it and went and watched the seminar from Chicago Expo on Pinball News and noticed that Joe and most of the team were not on stage or introduced, but seemed like alot of new faces were. The game looks much better than I expected as it wasn't a theme I thought I would like, but just wondering if the same team that did Houdini is still involved here or are there different designers and staff on this title?

#1388 5 years ago
Quoted from ulmpharmd:

Was just checking back in on this game as its been awhile since looking at it and went and watched the seminar from Chicago Expo on Pinball News and noticed that Joe and most of the team were not on stage or introduced, but seemed like alot of new faces were. The game looks much better than I expected as it wasn't a theme I thought I would like, but just wondering if the same team that did Houdini is still involved here or are there different designers and staff on this title?

Pretty much the same team.

#1389 5 years ago

The coder did Alien if I am correct

#1390 5 years ago
Quoted from pinaholic:

The coder did Alien if I am correct

Ferret is now on the AP team. He did do code on Alien. He also isn’t doing the code solo on OF.

Side note - Ferret is a good dude!

#1391 5 years ago
Quoted from ulmpharmd:

Was just checking back in on this game as its been awhile since looking at it and went and watched the seminar from Chicago Expo on Pinball News and noticed that Joe and most of the team were not on stage or introduced, but seemed like alot of new faces were.

Same team, with the addition of Joe Schober (Ferret), who did rules and coding on Alien, and is now collaborating on rules and code with me. The rest of the team were introduced in the audience, if they are on stage, they end up talking, and we wanted to keep it brief so we could get to the reveal, because that is what everyone came for. We also have a new marketing guy, who was wearing the Oktoberfest costume, who kicked things off.

#1392 5 years ago

Found this gambling machine on my recent trip, these guys fear no cleavage!

Hope someone sells a mod kit to bend #octoberfest more towards #seygirl

Bierhaus (resized).jpgBierhaus (resized).jpg
#1393 5 years ago

Wow, now I'm wondering what "Heidi's Jackpot" involves... Something magical I'd guess

#1394 5 years ago

Lot of cultural appropriation going on in this thread...

PS more cleavage!!

#1395 5 years ago
Quoted from mcbPalisade:

Hope someone sells a mod kit to bend #octoberfest more towards #seygirl[quoted image]

I play this machine every time i go out to Vegas! It's great. That's the Heidi we need in this pin!!!

#1396 5 years ago

Yeah, I like that overall art style of the slot machine. Stylistically, Oktoberfest (the pinball) is close in many respects but it's not too that level. The woman character in the slot is much nicer - not talking boobs here, just the look of Heidi is much more pleasant.

#1397 5 years ago
Quoted from mcbPalisade:

Hope someone sells a mod kit to bend #octoberfest more towards #seygirl[quoted image]

This is a pin for which API should offer also some alternative cleavage-art!
And a beer-keg mod, whose tap you can operate with the second flipper button!!!!

#1398 5 years ago

If they changed the art style to be similar to the slot I think it would quadruple sales. Hope they take the time necessary to rework it. They have so much going for them it would be a shame to have another game that misses its real potential. I know a lot of people like the current art but opinion is absolutely mixed.

#1399 5 years ago
Quoted from Nepi23:

This is a pin for which API should offer also some alternative cleavage-art!
And a beer-keg mod, whose tap you can operate with the second flipper button!!!!

We will be working on alternative art.. Backglass as well as cabinet that would be available as an add on.

#1400 5 years ago
Quoted from Nepi23:

Now we're talking! Did see some pictures from Illinois last weekend with a backbox that included a tap. Come on all you Mod Makers!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
8,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dixon, CA
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

Machine - For Sale
Queen Creek, AZ
Playfield - Other
RavSpec

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 11.99
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

$ 7,795.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 140.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 8,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 7,795.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 7,899.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 129.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

$ 39.99
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

There are 4,992 posts in this topic. You are on page 28 of 100.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/joe-balcer-confirms-oktoberfest-as-american-pinbals-next-pin/page/28?hl=jaytrem and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.