(Topic ID: 224963)

Joe Balcer confirms Oktoberfest as American Pinball's next pin.

By PismoArcade

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 4,992 posts
  • 466 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Ferret
  • Topic is favorited by 79 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

8880f5e6998fb0663ff4a9a77f40c92eb6c125f2 (resized).png
okt (resized).jpg
59547925-ED73-4D13-9C0B-C0B4DB7F1F2C (resized).jpeg
20210418_173000 (resized).jpg
IMG_8199 (resized).jpg
20211127_232248 (resized).jpg
BLKFRIDAY2021 (1) (resized).png
16341706819071145026220657450351 (resized).jpg
AAAABWnlUYQGnwPYrDFi3t2ZJg8xDmhdqB2hGmDLTPnpLg4SjPq15X8P8IAl66bSXZXeQjCVgv9i_WrsIbMEvcUa9pH863X- (resized).jpg
20211006_190939 (resized).jpg
47cc5c7a51600f42dccc5022b9550eca8025c861 (resized).jpg
IMG_7361 (resized).jpg
IMG_7362 (resized).jpg
Okt upgraded coil stop - blue = new (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
20210620_160449 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 4,992 posts in this topic. You are on page 25 of 100.
#1201 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinphila:

We can tell how you feel about this game and company. What exactly did they do to you? Your piss and vinegar in this thread is getting old.

Is this a get Ben the Heck out of here moment?

#1202 5 years ago
Quoted from frankmac:

Is this a get Ben the Heck out of here moment?

Damn never seen the Natives lash out at Ben heck before!!!

#1203 5 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I really don’t care It just had a great ring to it. “Get Ben the Heck out” .

. Hope all is well CrazyLevi

#1204 5 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

He does kind of sound like a jilted lover with a big ego at times in here.

#1205 5 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

He does kind of sound like a jilted lover with a big ego at times in here.

Or maybe he just really doesn't care for the art or understand the choices made with it. He's certainly not alone in that opinion.

#1206 5 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

They all turn on you eventually.

#1207 5 years ago
Quoted from 3pinballs:

I’m no professional on art and don’t design but I think the artwork is fine it’s different and looks fun

I challenge anyone to tell me that this art doesn't look better than AC/DC, aka one of the most beloved Pinside games of all time. Which is also unlovely at best. So don't crucify the game.

I like the new backbox sides on Oktoberfest way better than Houdini, which reminded me of Gottlieb Premiere games. It's a better package. I'm fine with the characters in front of the name on the sides. The woman is kinda freaky looking, but it works. The backglass is okay, it works as a frame for the LCD. I don't love it, it's kinda dull, but overall the cabinet looks pretty good I think. For the theme, which I admit I don't like, but for what it is I think it's fine.

The playfield is really busy, super textured, with a lot of cutout style art. I'd like to see it in person, in context, not wild about it. But AC/DC is hardly a looker on the playfield.

Here's where ACDC didn't fall down:

- It's a Steve Ritchie classic shooter, an upgrade T2, which is a fun game already too

- Lyman MFing Sheets. If I have to explain this part you won't get it.

- Oh, one last thing:

Kick ass sound package. Great rules, great music, great callouts, great sound effects, big ass subwoofer, tell me that doesn't matter a ton to making that game?

The art on Oktoberfest is probably done, the sound isn't, that's the thing I'd ask for.

#1208 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

They all turn on you eventually.

There’s aways podcasting.

#1209 5 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Pinside is an equal opportunity forum.

#1210 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I don't mean to keep beating the "I worked on Alien" drum....

Yes we know it pains you do keep doing it.

#1211 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I challenge anyone to tell me that this art doesn't look better than AC/DC, aka one of the most beloved Pinside games of all time. Which is also unlovely at best. So don't crucify the game.

AC/DC (Prem/LE) looks a billion times better. Say what you will about the Photoshop Live photos, AC/DC is a cohesive package, the composition is well done, and when you look at it, it fits the theme of AC/DC. It’s not “art” like we’re used to now with Met & Maiden...but it isn’t offensively bad like 24, GOT, Austin Powers or Elvis. It’s competent product art. Not a mess like Oktoberfest’s varying styles and resolutions.

#1212 5 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

AC/DC (Prem/LE) looks a billion times better. Say what you will about the Photoshop Live photos, AC/DC is a cohesive package, the composition is well done, and when you look at it, it fits the theme of AC/DC. It’s not “art” like we’re used to now with Met & Maiden...but it isn’t offensively bad like 24, GOT, Austin Powers or Elvis. It’s competent product art. Not a mess like Oktoberfest’s varying styles and resolutions.

Well it is "cohesive". But a cohesive turd.

#1213 5 years ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

Well it is "cohesive". But a cohesive turd.

Certainly not a looker, but still an incredible game.

#1214 5 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Oktoberfest’s varying styles and resolutions.

This. It's weird that some of the photo art on the PF is blurry and other art (line art, drawn art) is crisp. Not a good look.

#1215 5 years ago

I enjoyed playing it enough that as soon as I finished my first try on it this morning I got right back in line to play again.

Like Houdini, the sound is still too bright/high for my ears. Comes off as shrill at higher volumes. Minor nitpick though.

#1216 5 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Say what you will about the Photoshop Live photos, AC/DC is a cohesive package, the composition is well done, and when you look at it, it fits the theme of AC/DC.

68EE42A5-8D62-4875-9A08-E8E6CCE456E4 (resized).jpeg68EE42A5-8D62-4875-9A08-E8E6CCE456E4 (resized).jpeg
#1217 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinphila:

We can tell how you feel about this game and company. What exactly did they do to you? Your piss and vinegar in this thread is getting old.

Something must have happened behind the scenes....

Game looked good in person.

#1218 5 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

[quoted image]

Oh yeah, like GoT or IM are better....

#1219 5 years ago

How about "Get The Heck Out" for a slogan? Should I order hats?

My issue is jealousy. I'm jealous that AP gets away with Photoshop collage art when everyone else has to do much better and at greater expense. (something myself and Aurich have lived through)

It's also disconcerting to realize Pinheads consider detail (for the sake of detail) to be more important than visual clarity.

#1220 5 years ago

Here's a pic that shows some of the playfields artwork closeup.

076-pinball-expo-2018 (resized).jpg076-pinball-expo-2018 (resized).jpg

#1221 5 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

How about "Get The Heck Out" for a slogan?

Could be a new show idea. Live studio audience, contestant is introduced and explains his electronic design problem, audience chants "Get the Heck out!", out comes Ben Heck to solve the problem.

#1222 5 years ago

Guys...I get it. You dont like the art. Many cant believe thats really a CD in the middle of the playfield on Monster bash, when a vinyl record looks so much better.
Its Oktoberfest ....
Move on nothing to see here...

#1223 5 years ago

I don't mind the art at all.

Thumbs up for all the originality.

My only concern with buying one is it is such a seasonal theme.

Will we take it down each year like a Christmas tree and put it away in a closet until the next September comes along and set it up again?

#1224 5 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

My issue is jealousy. I'm jealous that AP gets away with Photoshop collage art when everyone else has to do much better and at greater expense. (something myself and Aurich have lived through)
It's also disconcerting to realize Pinheads consider detail (for the sake of detail) to be more important than visual clarity.

I like this!! “Your Roots are Deep”

#1225 5 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Guys...I get it. You dont like the art. Many cant believe thats really a CD in the middle of the playfield on Monster bash, when a vinyl record looks so much better.
Its Oktoberfest ....
Move on nothing to see here...

Why bother comparing this to one of the best game’s ever made? This game doesn’t deserve to smell Monster Bash’s shit.

#1226 5 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Here's a pic that shows some of the playfields artwork closeup.
[quoted image]

map (resized).jpgmap (resized).jpg
#1227 5 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Sincerely, it is weird to contest tastes of each others. We are not robots so we don’t have same taste.
I agree with Aurich, I prefer Oktoberfest artwork over ACDC but we don’t care or I have shitty tastes, as you want.
But The most important is this artwork works for the theme. It is a pinball machine not a paint. (Even for a paint, one person would like it other wouldn’t)
Now, as said Aurich, artwork is probably fixed, I hope sound is not, I really can’t stand this electric guitar in this theme.
You would like this guitar in Star war or Star Trek pin?
Now if I can easily fix it by myself i could consider to buy it again but I wanna be sure I can do it.

#1228 5 years ago

Ball times do seem super long.

Lightning flippers?

#1229 5 years ago

I don't know....I think this will do really well in bars (at least in the US). You can usually not even hear the sound in bars anyway and because they tend to be dark you won't really see the fine details on the artwork.

They need to add a drinking game mode to it though. Player 1 'does this' - Player 2 TAKE A DRINK!

#1230 5 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

And me, since I had a large hand in the composition and visual design of Full Throttle, at absolutely zero expense. (Actually, several of us did - I'm sure you can tell.)

#1231 5 years ago
Quoted from solarvalue:

Could be a new show idea. Live studio audience, contestant is introduced and explains his electronic design problem, audience chants "Get the Heck out!", out comes Ben Heck to solve the problem.

'Win Ben Heck's Misery'.

#1232 5 years ago

Only part I don’t really like is the roller coaster part.

579B29D1-AE39-4B98-A7E9-83247D0B5E3C (resized).jpeg579B29D1-AE39-4B98-A7E9-83247D0B5E3C (resized).jpeg
#1233 5 years ago
Quoted from Rascal_H:

Only part I don’t really like is the roller coaster part.[quoted image]

Some people like them. Not these two...

coasterpic (resized).jpgcoasterpic (resized).jpg
#1234 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

It doesn't look better, certainly not to me.

The text and background pattern / colours look clear & presentable on AC/DC's playfield, and there isn't a bunch of unnecessary noise and purposeless visual distraction. I don't like the clip art any more than you do, I suppose, but at least in AC/DC's case the layers below are more suitable.

The grass and the text on Oktoberfest are really, really messy.

They fix that, then we can talk about if it's better than AC/DC or not art wise.

Also, there's much less excuse now. That was produced in 2012. A lot has changed since then.

That said, I'd probably enjoy playing Oktoberfest more, simply because I think the cannon is one of the worst designed mechs ever in pinball ... I hate it with a passion (and I own an AC/DC).

#1235 5 years ago

I'm glad AP included the coaster part.

Oktoberfest pinball is all about fun

5 years ago we visited a theme park in Germany

It was tons of fun and some rides were super cool !

Check out the woman behind us, shitting herself, lol

#1236 5 years ago

Does anyone know when Oktoberfest will ship?

#1237 5 years ago
Quoted from solarvalue:

Filmed in front of a live studio? filled with dummies .

30E3C2E6-0834-406E-B78B-D92732B3EA67.jpeg30E3C2E6-0834-406E-B78B-D92732B3EA67.jpeg
#1238 5 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

That said, I'd probably enjoy playing Oktoberfest more, simply because I think the cannon is one of the worst designed mechs ever in pinball ... I hate it with a passion (and I own an AC/DC).

More than the pointless lower playfield?

#1239 5 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Ball times do seem super long.
Lightning flippers?

Play worse.

#1240 5 years ago

I put that in all my screen messages!!

Only way I look good at home.

#1241 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Some people like them. Not these two...[quoted image]

How’s TNA?

#1243 5 years ago

Me? Best. Game. Ever. So happy with it.

Only bummer is I can’t afford a Monster Bash now.

#1244 5 years ago
Quoted from Rascal_H:

Me? Best. Game. Ever. So happy with it.
Only bummer is I can’t afford a Monster Bash now.

Yes, Great pin. Did you add that powered sub?

#1245 5 years ago

All the other notorious art folk have covered everything in detail, no need for me to re-tread it. It's not my cup of tea, but belabouring the point won't change it much like it didn't change Houdini at all, which has much the same issues. This seems to be the look AP likes, so be it. They're making the games they want to make.

On the topic of game play, I wish the wire forms were faster. They seem more like a lazy river than a rollercoaster. I do applaud the more open playfield.

I think the important thing to have is perspective. I got to play Thunderbirds as well, and it really gives you a baseline to compare against to highlight the positives on Oktoberfest...

#1246 5 years ago
Quoted from EalaDubhSidhe:

More than the pointless lower playfield?

That's relatively pointless, but I don't mind it. It's not game ruining.

The Cannon completely obscures one of the two already brutal outlanes, and on every AC/DC I've played, the ball constantly hits the under side of the cannon, then insta-drains in the right outlane. Some people claim not to suffer it, and some I've seen streamed don't seem to have the issue, but every location game, mine, and one other home game I've played all have it ... and mine has washers to bring up the height from the playfield, and resistors to depower the slings to reduce airballs. I'd love it if I could just remove it ... then AC/DC would be one of my favourite games. A setting to disable it and have 'cannon' shots from the flipper after ramp return would be totally fine.

#1247 5 years ago
Quoted from Rascal_H:

Only part I don’t really like is the roller coaster part.[quoted image]

I could have sworn that was Python's art from Cyclone; I had to look it up to check. The only things that appeared to be absent were Ronnie and Nancy.

Also, wouldn't those restraints break their necks? How did the passengers manage to get them over their heads?

#1248 5 years ago
Quoted from frankmac:

Yes, Great pin. Did you add that powered sub?

Not yet. It’s coming!

Quoted from EalaDubhSidhe:

I could have sworn that was Python's art from Cyclone; I had to look it up to check. The only things that appeared to be absent were Ronnie and Nancy.

Comet, but yeah. Point is that there’s always been some pretty bad (and maybe a little racist) artwork in pinball.

Part of the fun of owning an Okfoberfest might be point out all the weirdness to friends who come over to play.

#1249 5 years ago

Danke Sehr American Pinball
oktoberfest (resized).jpgoktoberfest (resized).jpg

#1250 5 years ago
Quoted from Rascal_H:

Not yet. It’s coming!

Comet, but yeah. Point is that there’s always been some pretty bad (and maybe a little racist) artwork in pinball.
Part of the fun of owning an Okfoberfest might be point out all the weirdness to friends who come over to play.

Ah - so it is. Didn't recognise it straight off, iPDB doesn't have any decent shots of the Comet backglass.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 49.99
$ 7,795.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
Pinball Machine
$ 140.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Shooter rods
$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com
Toys/Add-ons
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
Other
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 11.99
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation
Decorations
There are 4,992 posts in this topic. You are on page 25 of 100.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/joe-balcer-confirms-oktoberfest-as-american-pinbals-next-pin/page/25 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.