(Topic ID: 224963)

Joe Balcer confirms Oktoberfest as American Pinball's next pin.

By PismoArcade

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 4,992 posts
  • 466 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Ferret
  • Topic is favorited by 79 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

8880f5e6998fb0663ff4a9a77f40c92eb6c125f2 (resized).png
okt (resized).jpg
59547925-ED73-4D13-9C0B-C0B4DB7F1F2C (resized).jpeg
20210418_173000 (resized).jpg
IMG_8199 (resized).jpg
20211127_232248 (resized).jpg
BLKFRIDAY2021 (1) (resized).png
16341706819071145026220657450351 (resized).jpg
AAAABWnlUYQGnwPYrDFi3t2ZJg8xDmhdqB2hGmDLTPnpLg4SjPq15X8P8IAl66bSXZXeQjCVgv9i_WrsIbMEvcUa9pH863X- (resized).jpg
20211006_190939 (resized).jpg
47cc5c7a51600f42dccc5022b9550eca8025c861 (resized).jpg
IMG_7361 (resized).jpg
IMG_7362 (resized).jpg
Okt upgraded coil stop - blue = new (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
20210620_160449 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 4,992 posts in this topic. You are on page 24 of 100.
#1151 5 years ago

This is going to be a great game! Very fun to flip!

#1152 5 years ago

I only played one game on it, but my take is that ball times were long. Perhaps settings can make it more challenging. Wire forms are cool looking, but are slow. The yellow ramp was difficult for me, but that may change with more plays. Looks like there will be some deep code in learning which stein to activate for each play style. Fun, but not a game I need to own. Overall a solid second effort.

#1153 5 years ago
Quoted from scruffypinball:

People can be so critical

Why wouldn’t they be for a $7000 game? This isn’t a 99 cent phone app.

#1154 5 years ago

One thing you have to admit about this game is that all the modes are intents.

#1155 5 years ago
Quoted from RustyLizard:

One thing you have to admit about this game is that all the modes are intents.

Yeah all of them are very much so intents

#1156 5 years ago

plays great, right up there with dialed in as far as things to shoot, magnets, modes. AP seems like they want to be right in the middle between stern pro and JJP, which is a good position to be in. BOM not finalized but as others have said its likely going to be just slightly above houdini pricing

#1157 5 years ago
Quoted from knockerlover:

Yeah all of them are very much so intents

Sorry what means « intents »?
Thanks

#1158 5 years ago
Quoted from colonel_caverne:

Sorry what means « intents »?
Thanks

probably meant intense

#1159 5 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Why wouldn’t they be for a $7000 game? This isn’t a 99 cent phone app.

You're right it isn't... 99 cent apps look better.

AP is clearly sinking a lot of recurring costs into this game with all the mechs and habitrails. Why not spend just a bit more one time for better art?

#1160 5 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

You're right it isn't... 99 cent apps look better.
AP is clearly sinking a lot of recurring costs into this game with all the mechs and habitrails. Why not spend just a bit more one time for better art?

Well, the main issue with this game is not a art but sounds in my opinion

#1161 5 years ago

By mid Dec, would love to read AP redid 100% of art, animations, sound & toys; completed rules and are now ready to start manufacturing the game.

Oktoberfest looks intriguing and could be fun to play.
44AD58F0-491C-4F17-93D8-DA95D0EBAFDA.gif44AD58F0-491C-4F17-93D8-DA95D0EBAFDA.gif

#1162 5 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

probably meant intense

It was a dad joke.. all the modes are in “tents”

#1163 5 years ago

^^^ good one.

#1164 5 years ago

And then it means?

#1165 5 years ago

Ba Dum Tssshhh (resized).jpgBa Dum Tssshhh (resized).jpg

#1166 5 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

probably meant intense

I got it , intents (= intense)
But you play the tents on the playfield

There for “ in tents” ( intents)

#1167 5 years ago
Quoted from colonel_caverne:

Well, the main issue with this game is not a art but sounds in my opinion

You can't change out playfield art once it hits production. At least not without a hell of a lot of time and talent, or the services of an expensive airbrush artist.

Both they and users can change the sounds after production.

#1168 5 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

You can't change out playfield art once it hits production. At least not without a hell of a lot of time and talent, or the services of an expensive airbrush artist.
Both they and users can change the sounds after production.

That dude that custom-planked that Monster Bash playfield and made the custom Kill Bill machine (and others) could straighten that art out, guaranteed.

#1169 5 years ago

At the VERY LEAST they should remove the characters from the side art. As easy as clicking "hide" on 2 Photoshop layers. The side art is the best looking part of the game.

Rolling Stone magazine can cover their logo because people know it. Nobody knows what this is.

#1170 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

That dude that custom-planked that Monster Bash playfield and made the custom Kill Bill machine (and others) could straighten that art out, guaranteed.

That would be Geert Koop and yes his work is awesome..

#1171 5 years ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

I only played one game on it, but my take is that ball times were long. Perhaps settings can make it more challenging. Wire forms are cool looking, but are slow. The yellow ramp was difficult for me, but that may change with more plays. Looks like there will be some deep code in learning which stein to activate for each play style. Fun, but not a game I need to own. Overall a solid second effort.

Joe said he wanted it to be very different than Houdini and considering how many people still cry about the "impossible" shots on that it makes sense that some will complain about long ball times on this. I watched Bowden play two games and he certainly didn't kill it in either one so it can't be THAT easy.

#1172 5 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

What does a German think of this theme and its execution in Oktoberfest? I know I sometimes cringe when other nationalities try to create an Australian theme. They always think its cool and exotic, but to an Australian it just comes off as kitsch, corny and over stereotyped. Is that the case here?

Uh,... Well Bavaria (where Oktoberfest, Lederhosen, Sauerkarut and most other things known outside of germany come from) is to the rest of Germany what *cough* Texas is for America, so...

I've never heard Polka, nearly never wore Lederhosen (did as a child) and never was inside a beer tent, so I'm not the right guy to ask.
But I'm not offended by anything and I think overall they did a good job since it's really not only about beer.
I like the music as well, noone want's to listen to polka or a marching band while playing pinball.

And yes they're are things I find strange when watching the photos here, like a Hotdog with Sauerkraut seen as german food.
But who cares. Have fun.

#1173 5 years ago

I love metal and polka and Oktoberfestevil

#1174 5 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

At the VERY LEAST they should remove the characters from the side art. As easy as clicking "hide" on 2 Photoshop layers. The side art is the best looking part of the game.
Rolling Stone magazine can cover their logo because people know it. Nobody knows what this is.

We can tell how you feel about this game and company. What exactly did they do to you? Your piss and vinegar in this thread is getting old.

#1175 5 years ago

^^^ THIS

#1176 5 years ago

Any pics of the Oktoberfest pole?

816235EB-27FF-431A-8A56-BF7D07AA7BBF (resized).png816235EB-27FF-431A-8A56-BF7D07AA7BBF (resized).png

B4B0CAF7-FB1E-454C-BD3C-25F1D0D2FE76 (resized).jpegB4B0CAF7-FB1E-454C-BD3C-25F1D0D2FE76 (resized).jpegE1ADC3F1-932B-41AF-AF09-5B7BF9079AEE (resized).jpegE1ADC3F1-932B-41AF-AF09-5B7BF9079AEE (resized).jpegE471A37C-83AC-4D73-962D-9B10C538EEA6 (resized).jpegE471A37C-83AC-4D73-962D-9B10C538EEA6 (resized).jpeg
#1177 5 years ago
Quoted from scruffypinball:

People can be so critical.

As has been said, it's not exactly unreasonable to be particular about spending seven thousand dollars.

But more than that, why does this forum exist really? I don't feel like it's just here to price pump and cheerlead, we're here to talk. I'm personally trying to be better about being hypercritical, because it can come off nasty and it's not my intent to be mean or an ass. But if you don't like something why shouldn't you feel free to speak up?

I think the game looks fun, I'd like to try it. I also think they dropped the ball on the theme, and that the art isn't really doing it favors. I trust in Joe to help the code be good, he's a great player and a smart coder and knows how to make rules. I also don't like what I've heard in the audio department so far. It's a push and pull.

You can hold multiple views of something, you can praise good parts, and be critical of those that don't do it for you.

Stern took a lot of shit from people for years. You know what happened? They got tired of being dumped on and started making good looking games. They finally got the message that art matters, even on licensed pins. I don't think that would have happened if people didn't speak up.

If American Pinball wants to compete in the open market, with free choice and a lot of options, they have to figure out how to step their game up. It's the natural order of things. If I do a mod and it's ugly I don't expect anyone to say "well good effort, I'll buy it anyways".

I don't mean to keep beating the "I worked on Alien" drum, but just to mention it one more time, we took a lot of shit for that game from people. Some of it nasty and personal. I blocked some people who couldn't stop crossing the line from criticism to personal attacks. But whatever, I'm still here, I have my big boy pants on. If I can take it, so can anyone else. It comes with the territory. I'd just say try to not make it personal, it sucks to be attacked.

#1178 5 years ago

Ok enough with the “metal” references. It’s Polka music with a little bit of a rock twist. Go listen to some lamb of god, black dahlia murder, or cannibal corpse then come back and see if you still think it’s metal.

I don’t think authentic polka music is very exciting and energetic to play pinball to, and think it made sense to spice it up a little. But cmon, it isn’t metal.

#1179 5 years ago

Callling it “metal” is kind of a stretch. It more like hard driving guitar, video game music. Besides, Josh already stated that there are going to be 4 main themes and you only heard one theme. There’s music more to come.

#1180 5 years ago

Dad joke? Clever play on words. Good humor aleays goes over the heads of some.

#1181 5 years ago

Few more pictures from launch night. I was “Frist!” To play right after roger. In a group of four it was a blast. Player before me on ball one got a ball locked in the barrel (physical lock woot!). I spent the next two balls trying to perfect the left orbit to upper right flipper shot and locked another two balls stealing his lock to start multiball.

This game is going to be a lot of fun to drink beer with friends, play one handed, and fight over locked balls..

77104634-C821-4836-92BD-72F100CD72D1 (resized).jpeg77104634-C821-4836-92BD-72F100CD72D1 (resized).jpegE6279BAE-3CE8-4CE2-8A3B-E8A436F82329 (resized).jpegE6279BAE-3CE8-4CE2-8A3B-E8A436F82329 (resized).jpeg
#1182 5 years ago

...This game is going to be a lot of fun to drink beer with friends, play one handed, and fight over locked balls..
[quoted image][quoted image]

Especially if they're metalheads as well as pinheads.

#1183 5 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

I know I sometimes cringe when other nationalities try to create an Australian theme. They always think its cool and exotic, but to an Australian it just comes off as kitsch, corny and over stereotyped. Is that the case here?

You should one day go to an Outback Steakhouse in the States if you want a laugh.

To Americans, nothing says Australia like a big deep fried onion and "Shrimp on the Barbie" instead of Prawns on the Barbie

#1185 5 years ago

You've just given me a new fetish.....

#1186 5 years ago

Overheard @ Outback. “pinballinreno dated Barbie for a week but broke up. She turned out to be a four prawner! Two more and he would have skewered her”.

78A70B3F-269C-4DE0-ADE8-4CBAF4071291 (resized).jpeg78A70B3F-269C-4DE0-ADE8-4CBAF4071291 (resized).jpeg

#1187 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I don't mean to keep beating the "I worked on Alien" drum, but just to mention it one more time

Screen Shot 2018-10-20 at 4.59.51 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2018-10-20 at 4.59.51 PM (resized).png
#1188 5 years ago

I had the chance to play it today. Very much enjoyed that game. Not excited about the theme, but i give them credit for going outside of the box.

#1189 5 years ago
Quoted from Orko:

I had the chance to play it today. Very much enjoyed that game. Not excited about the theme, but i give them credit for going outside of the box.

Give us your three favorite things and three dislikes. From your initial impression, did it leave you with any parting comments? Was it good enough to consider buying?

#1190 5 years ago

In an attempt to be optimistic, I don’t think there’s anything inherently wrong with the artwork, I just think the style of the artwork is pretty bad. Like Houdini, it’s got a super weird “uncanny valley” effect on me.

That being said, I don’t think it’s any worse than Stern’s old photorealistic art style. It’s serviceable, but it definitely won’t age well.

It’d have been nice to see it draw inspiration from Python’s masterful art on Comet/Cyclone/Hurricane, however.

#1191 5 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

Give us your three favorite and three dislikes. Did it leave any lingering comments? Was it good enough to want to buy?

Okay. Three favorites would be the rule set being very easy to follow just walking up to the machine. I really enjoyed the wire foam ramps having a fun roller coaster feel that intergrates well with the theme they’re going for. The shots felt very comfortable and weren’t very tight to hit. This is definitely a good machine for a beginner.

As for dislikes, the ball time was way too long. I’m not sure operators will be too happy about that. There were two players in front of me before I got my chance to play and they both had a 10 and 15 minute ball time. Another issue for me is that I’m not a fan of the artwork or theme. That shouldn’t really be a big issue for most, and I feel it would work well within a barcade, but not my thing. Finally I felt that the video integration needs some tweaking. Didn’t have the feel of a finished game “yet.”

Overall I had fun with the game and would definitely play it in the wild, but just isn’t for me in regards to ownership.

#1192 5 years ago
Quoted from konjurer:

Callling it “metal” is kind of a stretch. It more like hard driving guitar, video game music. Besides, Josh already stated that there are going to be 4 main themes and you only heard one theme. There’s music more to come.

Is it like the music on SM? I hated that music when I first played the game. It was partly why I didn’t want to buy it. Once I got used to it, I thought it was pretty rad, and very well done, and it didn’t bother me at all. That’s often how things go. You come to love what you used to hate, and you come to find what you throw away (that’s a Matthew Sweet lyric that I’ve always liked).

#1193 5 years ago

Few more pictures from launch night. I was “Frist!” To play right after roger. In a group of four it was a blast. Player before me on ball one got a ball locked in the barrel (physical lock woot!). I spent the next two balls trying to perfect the left orbit to upper right flipper shot and locked another two balls stealing his lock to start multiball.
This game is going to be a lot of fun to drink beer with friends, play one handed, and fight over locked balls..
[quoted image][quoted image]

That barrel lock is pretty cool, but I really would have liked to see balls locked in a stein. 1, 2, 3...and then the stein spills forward for...MB! The stein would look like its full of beer anyway, but when balls enter it they look like big bubbles or something.

#1194 5 years ago

Can't wait to try this on location. Overall first impression was much better than I expected. Was hoping to see the same shape head as Houdini... maybe I am the only one? Looks like a really fun game. I'd like to see some minor alterations on the artwork as well as improvements in variety of music before the game is released.

#1195 5 years ago
Quoted from MMP:

... Was hoping to see the same shape head as Houdini... maybe I am the only one?

Me too. Had understood from past AP comments that all their games would have the same head. Per Josh Kugler's latest though, sounds like AP is going to go with a unique variation on each new game.

#1196 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

You should one day go to an Outback Steakhouse in the States if you want a laugh.
To Americans, nothing says Australia like a big deep fried onion and "Shrimp on the Barbie" instead of Prawns on the Barbie

Crickey. Such a shame this never made it. Ballypinball

B13EBE93-B846-4782-8DBD-52612FD635B3 (resized).jpegB13EBE93-B846-4782-8DBD-52612FD635B3 (resized).jpeg

BTW: never tried a deep fried onion ring.

#1197 5 years ago

One thing about art:

"Everyone's a critic".

#1199 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

I’m still pissed they changed the decor from kitschy “Australiana” (boomerangs, kangaroos and didgeridoos) to faux upscale... oh well there is always Joe’s Crab Shack!

#1200 5 years ago

I’m no professional on art and don’t design but I think the artwork is fine it’s different and looks fun

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 7,795.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 39.99
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

8,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dixon, CA
$ 7,899.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 140.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Playfield - Other
RavSpec

$ 8,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 11.99
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

6,100 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Queen Creek, AZ
$ 129.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 7,795.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 4,992 posts in this topic. You are on page 24 of 100.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/joe-balcer-confirms-oktoberfest-as-american-pinbals-next-pin/page/24?hl=rustylizard and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.