(Topic ID: 224963)

Joe Balcer confirms Oktoberfest as American Pinball's next pin.

By PismoArcade

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 4,992 posts
  • 466 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Ferret
  • Topic is favorited by 79 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

8880f5e6998fb0663ff4a9a77f40c92eb6c125f2 (resized).png
okt (resized).jpg
59547925-ED73-4D13-9C0B-C0B4DB7F1F2C (resized).jpeg
20210418_173000 (resized).jpg
IMG_8199 (resized).jpg
20211127_232248 (resized).jpg
BLKFRIDAY2021 (1) (resized).png
16341706819071145026220657450351 (resized).jpg
AAAABWnlUYQGnwPYrDFi3t2ZJg8xDmhdqB2hGmDLTPnpLg4SjPq15X8P8IAl66bSXZXeQjCVgv9i_WrsIbMEvcUa9pH863X- (resized).jpg
20211006_190939 (resized).jpg
47cc5c7a51600f42dccc5022b9550eca8025c861 (resized).jpg
IMG_7361 (resized).jpg
IMG_7362 (resized).jpg
Okt upgraded coil stop - blue = new (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
20210620_160449 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 4,992 posts in this topic. You are on page 23 of 100.
#1101 5 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

A hand drawn art package is easily obtained for 10k. There is no excuse for a company with this much money behind it to release an art package this bad.
The LCD is even worse. Looks like a shareware AOL game from 1996. Who looked at this and said "This is fine".... Clearly no one. And for the love of God put some strokes or drop shadows on text! Your average graffiti artist knows better than this!

Its still better than this.

amh_017 (resized).jpgamh_017 (resized).jpg
#1102 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I don't really feel like giving away free ideas to anyone, but I've sketched up plenty of creative LCD uses that haven't been done before, and I'm sure I've only scratched the surface of what can be done. Just means caring and being creative. The message I'm hearing right now is "we don't really care", and you get what you get with that approach.

Given the constraints and company BS, Alien launched with a pretty great video package (I totally forgot about this when I was saying everyone besides JJP was not great or didn't care about the video). American Pinball would be wise to give you a call and at least gauge your level of interest in helping them raise the bar for the video in their pins.

#1103 5 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Art and music aside, can somone link up more gameplay please?
Reports from friends at the show are that this is a long player but fun to shoot.
What do pinsiders that have played it think?

Show some ACNC !

#1104 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballwil:

I don't think Ben claims this to be great. Also he did all that artwork for free long before it became a production game.

#1105 5 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

The right side of the cab has 2 flipper buttons. You can set it so that you can play the game from just those 2 buttons and hold your beer with the other.
What I am not sure about is that since it has 2 user activated magnets as well, how they incorporated that to work with that setting....maybe hitting both buttons at the same time?

Now that's a really cool idea. I was worried one button would activate the 2 flippers at once, which would be dumb, but 2 buttons on one hand is smart ! A while ago I bought a one hand playstation gamepad, everything was on it but still left a hand free, it was great for slow paced games like RPG, and I got quite used to it, to the point I miss it

Quoted from Aurich:

I don't really feel like giving away free ideas to anyone, but I've sketched up plenty of creative LCD uses that haven't been done before, and I'm sure I've only scratched the surface of what can be done. Just means caring and being creative. The message I'm hearing right now is "we don't really care", and you get what you get with that approach.

I care a lot about the LCD, it was one of my main driver to buy a WOZ, it's also why I consider buying a batman 66, and the same reason I have a japanese slot machine. It adds some variety, useful infos, some wow moments, and I do lift up my eyes from the playfield quite often to look at it. Everytime I unlock something new I'm excited to see the animations going with it. Really a great innovation in Pinball.

Now Oktoberfest isn't there, but clearly these are not the final animations so i don't think it's fair to start commenting on them. American Pinball wanted to show a playable machine, with a decent amount of code on a completed playfield, they did it, and they did it faster than any other pinball maker right now, kudos for that, and really looking forward to playing it.

#1106 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Given the constraints and company BS, Alien launched with a pretty great video package

Thanks. Credit mostly due to Kelly, our animator, he did the heavy lifting. But first we sat down and planned through how we were going to pull it off. We were limited in what we could or couldn't do with the cast (no Ripley for instance), and our assets aside from the films themselves were non-existent. We were also working with two different films, with different looks, and wanted to still tie everything together. So we were really careful with consistency, using the same feels for things like the glitching and static, even as we tried to give each mode a separate personality. This is I think the easiest mistake to make, trying too hard to make everything different. It feels like you're doing more, but you often end up with less.

Obviously if you don't have film assets you've got to try other things, but my feeling is you can still worker smarter, not harder, when it comes to filling that screen.

One thing I liked about Houdini's LCD was the way they used the curtains to make it the stage, that's the kind of thinking that could be taken further. Oktoberfest does a similar trick, but I would have pushed it harder down that path personally. You don't need your backglass to have an empty rectangle you feel like you have to constantly fill.

Quoted from PinMonk:

American Pinball would be wise to give you a call and at least gauge your level of interest in helping them raise the bar for the video in their pins.

I'll save everyone time, interest level is zero, I've had my fill. If I were to ever work on another pin, and I think it's unlikely, it would only be something I had 100% control over. Alien taught me the letting someone else's business interests leak too much into my hobby just ruins the hobby for me.

#1107 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballwil:

Its still better than this.[quoted image]

Rubbish. You can easily read mine and I used fewer than 1900 fonts.

#1108 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I'll save everyone time, interest level is zero, I've had my fill. If I were to ever work on another pin, and I think it's unlikely, it would only be something I had 100% control over. Alien taught me the letting someone else's business interests leak too much into my hobby just ruins the hobby for me.

56012DBD-1FE0-4C45-B9DF-4BAC190376A5.gif56012DBD-1FE0-4C45-B9DF-4BAC190376A5.gif
#1109 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballwil:

wow...not needed here

#1110 5 years ago

Josh is real good about the Music programming. As he said in his post, lots of music to come. There's even programming in Houdini to alter stuff. Wait for finished code to pass judgement on music yet.

#1111 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballwil:

I haven't seen it in person, but I really like Ben's AMH playfield art. I also like his cabinet art (ghost version). I really can't see what people don't like about it. To me it's clean and simple, nicely laid out and I really like cartoon ghosts wearing sunglasses for some reason. Can people be more specific about why they don't like it (genuinely interested).

#1112 5 years ago

Let me just say that I am first in line with one of APs bigger distros for OkF, have been for weeks, but right now I already have one pinball machine whose cheap looking art is all over the place, namely Full Throttle, I will not add another to my lineup, no matter how great the game.

My money is ready, I want this pin, and I only hope that they will drop all photoshop art and go with the hand drawn art style exclusively. On the playfield.
The rest is great, the animations and music are all down to code updates and licensing of the preferred music (which I bet was what keeps them at this point from adding all ze jermahn kraut favorites).

But playfield art I cannot update at a later point, this needs to be a homerun come shipping day.

Please AP, do what JJP did, listen to your customers and fix the playfield art package.

#1113 5 years ago
Quoted from DerGoetz:

Let me just say that I am first in line with one of APs bigger distros for OkF, have been for weeks, but right now I already have one pinball machine whose cheap looking art is all over the place, namely Full Throttle, I will not add another to my lineup, no matter how great the game.
My money is ready, I want this pin, and I only hope that they will drop all photoshop art and go with the hand drawn art style exclusively. On the playfield.
The rest is great, the animations and music are all down to code updates and licensing of the preferred music (which I bet was what keeps them at this point from adding all ze jermahn kraut favorites).
But playfield art I cannot update at a later point, this needs to be a homerun come shipping day.
Please AP, do what JJP did, listen to your customers and fix the playfield art package.

The playfield design looks super, and so many ramps and a friggin roller coaster.

D0550851-C46B-4A3F-AFDB-783E84115331.gifD0550851-C46B-4A3F-AFDB-783E84115331.gif

... some of the art choices are ... questionable. Every shot of bartender is same stiff pose with thumb up’n. Hold a friggin mug with that hand or try turning away from the camera sometimes dude. Sheesh! The brown mustache girl ... wtf ...take that off her face. It doesn’t work the way you think it does. On backglass - fix the damn maids dress ... news alert ... it is fubar!! Ahem ... a real backglass is cool, unless you don’t have a badass design that will shine. I vote consider redesigning the artwork. There are no external licensing hindrances to worry about, it is all an internal review. A one time to review to create a different design alternate. Change art on cabinet, playfield, backglass, plastics and molded toys in one pass, review it and then consider which version to make, please.... I know the artist does many styles, try a slightly different one. That’s all.

#1114 5 years ago

Who gives a F about the "art" on an Oktoberfest? What do you expect? It looks ok and good enough for me.

The pin looks great to play.

My only complaint would be the lack of big titties and cleavage. See the vegas slot machine which is great!

The PF and layout/shots look fun.

#1115 5 years ago

Congratulations AP and team Oktoberfest.

Your game looks amazing, So many cool shots, I like the VUK, multiple magnets, some controllable = Awesome !
The wild wireforms are cool !

Thanks Rosh for taking some time to comment in the thread, especially when things are so hectic for you at the moment.
Looking forward to hearing the additional audio and adult mode implementation.

I will be patient as has been explained there is a lot more to come and the final product will blow us all away !

Thanks AP for including a ton of value and keeping the price point realistic, you will see strong sales on what looks to be such a fun game.

I am looking forward to playing Oktoberfest and owning one day.

#1116 5 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

Good morning all, exhausted and a little hung over from a crazy, crazy week with almost no sleep, the reveal, and some celebratory beer and tequila shots, but wanted to pop on and answer few questions, at least the ones I can remember.
First off, happy to see such a positive response to the game, but can't say I am surprised. We knew that much of the doomsayers on the theme just did not know much about it and what we could do with it. Obviously some won't like the theme and no matter what we did, some will say there is too much beer and babes and other would say not enough. Even on the team, we have differing opinions of where we should be and where we are. To let you know where I stand, any time I saw our artist, I said 'more cleavage'. But it is a tricky balance, plus I don't always get my way.
The mustache girl freaks me out a little but that plastic says, 'mustache contest', or so I have been told, but yeah.
The playfield is packed with lots of little things that will take time for folks to spot and see. There is a lot of fun little stuff tucked away. I am not surprised at the diverse opinions on the art package. It is often the part of a machine that has. the most differing opinions.
As far as the music, I have not watched the dead flip stream, so don't know which aspects of the game were shown, regardless, there is a very diverse selection of music in the game. While there is a some heavy metal/polka mashup stuff, which Balcer wanted, there is also plenty of tunes with a Polka and Oom-Pa style that Ferret and I wanted. What is important to me, is to have the variety. There will be four out of mode main tracks and then each mode will have its own. Currently only one main track is on the machine, which does have the heavy metal feel. 'Ride' modes will typically have the heavier music, the beer modes the oom-pa and the midway game modes the polka. In some cases a track was used in a different place for now. The main out of mode tracks will be also be a mix. As more footage comes out you will hear more of that variety. Right now it is probably 50/50 as far as heavy to oom-pa/polka, but I would expect the final mix to be more 25/75.
Some of the animations are what we want and some are works in progress and some are not much more than fancy storyboards (e.g. the mystery duck pull). Some will like what we do, some won't, but at the same time to me it is the least important part of the machine, since it has the least value to the actual player and at some point you have to decide where you spend your time and money, if you do everything to the ultimate degree, you get a much more expensive machine and that is not where I want to see us be.
I think most are going to find the game a blast to play. The rules fun and challenging, with lots in there for enthusiasts as well as competitive players.
I look forward to more people getting to play the machine.
I do want to thank the Straight Down the Middle, Head2Head, Dead Flip, and This Week in Pinball (despite their little screw up), for helping us get some quality info and video of the machine out there for you guys. I think links to all of those are already in this thread. However, Greg/Zach, next time I would like more than 3 minutes warning, so I don't look like I am hungover from a night of binge drinking (or the reality of days of no sleep while trying to get the machine ready for its debut).
I'll try to pop back on later to see what questions pop up.
In the meantime, PROST!

Haha J-Kuug we arrived to film when we were told to. I should’ve messaged you privately

#1117 5 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Are we saying AP won Expo?!

Were there any other contestants?

#1118 5 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Who gives a F about the "art" on an Oktoberfest? What do you expect? It looks ok and good enough for me.
My only complaint would be the lack of big titties and cleavage. See the vegas slot machine which is great!

O, ya mean the art ???

#1119 5 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

O, ya mean the art ???

LOL, yeah Jeff as i sat there watching the stream i thought it was pretty F ing cool!

I have a WPT and NBAFB and love those great pins! Now that is shitty art!

Great art, good art, crappy art....who's to say?

#1120 5 years ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

Were there any other contestants?

Not really, Stern has learned not to try and compete. The buyers really have not done anything to force them to compete and neither have the competition for that matter. As I said earlier, it will be interesting to see where American Pinball prices this game because if enough games come out that are full featured and priced lower than Stern then you could see some pressure for pricing adjustments. How many upper priced games can this market absorb?

What would happen to Stern if suddenly the combination of JJP, American, and Deeproot were putting out 5 new full-featured titles a year between them that were all priced at $7000 to $7500? That would be in addition to Chicago gaming putting out about one remake every 1.5 years. Stern's overhead could be a real problem for them if they can't just rake in the money like they have been the last couple years.

#1121 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballwil:

This kind of looks like a wal-mart Halloween decoration. Lol!

#1122 5 years ago

It looks fun! I'm interested in possibly ordering one. I do after all live in the "Alpine" village, & we have a "Alpenfest" every year with a big ole beer tent! It feels like I'm obligated to. Lol

#1123 5 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

Not really, Stern has learned not to try and compete. The buyers really have not done anything to force them to compete and neither have the competition for that matter. As I said earlier, it will be interesting to see where American Pinball prices this game because if enough games come in full featured and priced lower than Stern then you could see some pressure for pricing adjustments. How many upper priced games can this market absorb?

For me Houdini easily wins against any Stern Premium featurewise, and Oktoberfest will most likely be in that same price range.

But Stern has upped their game and they do compete; nearly every one of their last machines looks stunning and Oktoberfest has a problem to even look cohesive.
The decision "what to buy" would be easier if Stern games would still look like Game of Thrones and stuff...

I don't know why the Display animations do look like this again. If you don't have an animator, don't animate or break it down to a level you can do. (Better do simple animation good, instead of complicated animation bad.) Like, don't animate that photorealistic juggling girl in a total artificial way but instead do a 2 phase cartoon animation. It looks better and is easier to do. Or for the 3D rendered rollercoaster just do a steady image (like comet) and animate the hair of the people and the rails.
Or just go back to dots. And for the rest Championship Pubs art package/ style would be a great fit, and is way easier to do than this kinda photorealistic art!
(Where I admit I like the Cab and the Backglass. Just the collage of different styles on the playfield and the green lawn is a bit off.)

So, back to topic, I really think Stern is well aware otherwise poor Kevin Connor still had to layout random photoshop clip art.
And I think they really waited as long as they could before implementing the LCD (rightfully so), to compete with JJP.

And this is something AP has to compete with (a higher hurdle then not long ago) or bail out if possible (like Thunderbirds still using a DMD, wich I think is the better way if you have a limited budget).

I really want to play Oktoberfest but I do not (yet) want to own this.
The most time the pin is (sadly) turned off but it sits in my room where I look at it.

But I'm still positive, Houdini got a little playfield makeover as well, so...

#1124 5 years ago

Not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but it looks like Joe Balcer is one of the characters on the back glass (Right) and so is Matt from Back Alley Creations (back left)

#1125 5 years ago
Quoted from GrandFireball1:

Not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but it looks like Joe Balcer is one of the characters on the back glass (Right) and so is Matt from Back Alley Creations (back left)

All I have to say is thank god they weren't naked like the easter eggs in Houdini's art package.

#1126 5 years ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

For me Houdini easily wins against any Stern Premium featurewise, and Oktoberfest will most likely be in that same price range.
But Stern has upped their game and they do compete; nearly every one of their last machines looks stunning and Oktoberfest has a problem to even look cohesive.
The decision "what to buy" would be easier if Stern games would still look like Game of Thrones and stuff...
I don't know why the Display animations do look like this again. If you don't have an animator, don't animate or break it down to a level you can do. (Better do simple animation good, instead of complicated animation bad.) Like, don't animate that photorealistic juggling girl in a total artificial way but instead do a 2 phase cartoon animation. It looks better and is easier to do. Or for the 3D rendered rollercoaster just do a steady image (like comet) and animate the hair of the people and the rails.
Or just go back to dots. And for the rest Championship Pubs art package/ style would be a great fit, and is way easier to do than this kinda photorealistic art!
(Where I admit I like the Cab and the Backglass. Just the collage of different styles on the playfield and the green lawn is a bit off.)
So, back to topic, I really think Stern is well aware otherwise poor Kevin Connor still had to layout random photoshop clip art.
And I think they really waited as long as they could before implementing the LCD (rightfully so), to compete with JJP.
And this is something AP has to compete with (a higher hurdle then not long ago) or bail out if possible (like Thunderbirds still using a DMD, wich I think is the better way if you have a limited budget).
I really want to play Oktoberfest but I do not (yet) want to own this.
The most time the pin is (sadly) turned off but it sits in my room where I look at it.
But I'm still positive, Houdini got a little playfield makeover as well, so...

What does a German think of this theme and its execution in Oktoberfest? I know I sometimes cringe when other nationalities try to create an Australian theme. They always think its cool and exotic, but to an Australian it just comes off as kitsch, corny and over stereotyped. Is that the case here?

#1127 5 years ago

I don't mind the comparison to AMH. But remember we improved upon that with Rob Zombie and ACNC. We didn't go sideways or backwards.

#1128 5 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

I don't mind the comparison to AMH. But remember we improved upon that with Rob Zombie and ACNC. We didn't go sideways or backwards.

Yes, there is definitely a progression of improving layout and design from AMH to ACNC. The weird thing about RZ is the cabinet art is much better than the PF art. Were those different people?

#1129 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

The weird thing about RZ is the cabinet art is much better than the PF art. Were those different people?

Same artist, but playfield art is hard. It's really an art, in and of itself, to do it right. I found working on the Alien playfield — remotely, with no access to the game — very challenging. People have leveled plenty of criticism at what I came up with, and I'll defend part of it by saying I did the best I could with what I had access to, but I will also freely admit that I share a lot of the criticism, and I really think it's something I'd approach differently now that I have some experience.

I think Ben doesn't get enough credit for AMH frankly. It's cheesy and corny, but it was always meant to be, that was the theme and the humor. He did so much on his own, it wasn't a one man show, but damn near close in many ways. And then Spooky actually built it, and laid the groundwork for the successful homebrew to small company model. Many haven't made it that far.

#1130 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Same artist, but playfield art is hard. It's really an art, in and of itself, to do it right. I found working on the Alien playfield — remotely, with no access to the game — very challenging. People have leveled plenty of criticism at what I came up with, and I'll defend part of it by saying I did the best I could with what I had access to, but I will also freely admit that I share a lot of the criticism, and I really think it's something I'd approach differently now that I have some experience.
I think Ben doesn't get enough credit for AMH frankly. It's cheesy and corny, but it was always meant to be, that was the theme and the humor. He did so much on his own, it wasn't a one man show, but damn near close in many ways. And then Spooky actually built it, and laid the groundwork for the successful homebrew to small company model. Many haven't made it that far.

No doubt Aurich. I was very critical at first of the blank Alien PF art without it populated.

You did a great job and it looks AWESOME with the fully integrated package! I'm extremely happy with it.

And I agree on AMH, I've played it Austin at Pinballz and its really cool. Especially for a 1st Spooky effort and that's not a knock on the game, its really good and fun

#1131 5 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

What does a German think of this theme and its execution in Oktoberfest? I know I sometimes cringe when other nationalities try to create an Australian theme. They always think its cool and exotic, but to an Australian it just comes off as kitsch, corny and over stereotyped. Is that the case here?

Well, as a 1/2 German who grew up there (Dad was US Army, Mom was born and lived in Kaiserslautern Germany most of her life), let me say this:

The main music isn't right, and especially that rock guitar. No Oktoberfest tent in Munich plays anything but traditional German/Bavarian Volksmusik during the whole fest. There is more than enough different Oktoberfestmusik played there in the tents to fill all the modes and then some on this pin, and I expect most of that music is in the public domain. I'd drop that guitar and go 100% authentic Oktoberfestmusik.

The mix of German words and English words as well as the artwork also sticks out, and makes it come across more to be based upon an Oktoberfest here in the US versus the original fest in Munich. This is kinda disagrees with what was said during the SDTM preview interview, where they said their basis for the pin was from the Munich fest. For example, you'll never find a Dachshund or a bratwurst in a hot dog bun, yet both can be found in the artwork. Overall it does come across a bit stereotypical, but not too bad......

That being said, I like the look and layout of the pin more than I thought I would when it was first announced, so right now it's a pleasant surprise and one I'm looking forward to playing. If the code, rules, and gameplay are good I will more than likely be adding one to my wishlist, as the theme is a hit for this half-kraut flipperspieler who is proud of his German heritage, even if it is a little on the kitschy side.....

#1132 5 years ago
Quoted from Bruce_Pickle:

Does this woman have a moustache? (Right hand side plastic)
[quoted image]

Is this still called a "dirty sanchez"?

#1133 5 years ago

Joe Schober confirmed they have a ton of A/V work/refinement to do before games ship and he also agreed the bartender voice doesn’t sound good. Everyone should just relax and wait 4-6 more weeks and see what changes they make and how it makes the game that much better.

#1134 5 years ago
Quoted from AUKraut:

Well, as a 1/2 German who grew up there (Dad was US Army, Mom was born and lived in Kaiserslautern Germany most of her life), let me say this:
The main music isn't right, and especially that rock guitar. No Oktoberfest tent in Munich plays anything but traditional German/Bavarian Volksmusik during the whole fest. There is more than enough different Oktoberfestmusik played there in the tents to fill all the modes and then some on this pin, and I expect most of that music is in the public domain. I'd drop that guitar and go 100% authentic Oktoberfestmusik.
The mix of German words and English words as well as the artwork also sticks out, and makes it come across more to be based upon an Oktoberfest here in the US versus the original fest in Munich. This is kinda disagrees with what was said during the SDTM preview interview, where they said their basis for the pin was from the Munich fest. For example, you'll never find a Dachshund or a bratwurst in a hot dog bun, yet both can be found in the artwork. Overall it does come across a bit stereotypical, but not too bad......
That being said, I like the look and layout of the pin more than I thought I would when it was first announced, so right now it's a pleasant surprise and one I'm looking forward to playing. If the code, rules, and gameplay are good I will more than likely be adding one to my wishlist, as the theme is a hit for this half-kraut flipperspieler who is proud of his German heritage, even if it is a little on the kitschy side.....

I can put up with the art/music/animations. I kind of like the kitschy quirkyness. The theme, combined with this layout and (by the sounds of it in the H2H interview) the rules should make for a good game. Really can’t wait to play it.

#1135 5 years ago
Quoted from Captain-Flint:

What mistake did TWIP make??? I must have missed it.

Article was live on their website for a short time ahead of reveal. They took it down and put it back after.

#1136 5 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I agree except about metal music that ruins all for me, I don’t like it and worse it is completely antithetical with the theme.

#1137 5 years ago

And the player controlled magnets sound awesome. Apart from outlane saves (Ie TOM, WCS and Black Knight) has any game used magnets like this before?

#1138 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Speaking as someone who had actually art directed a pinball LCD my take is this: if you don't have a huge budget and talent on deck to try and do the JJP slot machine look then just don't try it. JP does amazing work for JJP, but it's just one approach, there's really no need to copy it. I frankly find those LCD screens too busy most of the time, it could be dialed back some easily.

I agree and would say further. If you don’t have the skills and budget for LCD animations then...keep a Dmd display. CGC does an amazing job. I always thought that LCD was a chance to have great animations that could get closer to video games.

That said, Alien is the most immersive game I have ever played. This game is a winner but sounds like a total waste in the same time. Alien gets also one of the most beautiful populated playfield in my opinion.

About Oktoberfest, don’t get me wrong, I like all what I see, the artwork is very good (of course it could be different, better, more yellowed like beer but it is fairly nice), I like the backglass and the bias of staging the LCD like Houdini, I like this original layout, 3 flippers, 3 ramps (one is lifting, correct?), controllable magnet with 2nd button (if I don’t mistake), lots of other features, deep rules. BUT I don’t like what I hear unfortunately. Ok the voice feels too young compared with the guy ( but sometimes many people don’t get the voice of their looks, this is what you can say to yourself) but this metal music really sounds like antithetical in this game, it is worse than not liking metal music.

#1139 5 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

And the player controlled magnets sound awesome. Apart from outlane saves (Ie TOM, WCS and Black Knight) has any game used magnets like this before?

Yes, has been a long time coming

Thanks AP

#1140 5 years ago

All this talk of 90s CD ROM games is making me wish someone would actually produce something even close to that calibre. Wing Commander 3/4 were amazing. C&C red alert style videos of actors talking directly to a camera. That would be awesome. Something Manborg like.

The other thing is that mixed media art can work, and can work well. The issue is not the mixing of photos with drawn images or CG models. That can be amazing and there are artists who have made careers out of mixed media art. It is all about execution, which might be missing here.

#1141 5 years ago

People can be so critical. The game looked fun, but I didn’t get to play The never ending line made sure of that for me!

#1142 5 years ago

Great job AP!

#1143 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballwil:

The art's crap. But it is clear, and there's no unnecessary and counter-productive visual noise.

#1144 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballwil:

I disagree, neither are going to set the art world on fire but AMH is simple, legible, and cohesive.

#1145 5 years ago

Best integration of traditional German music with metal: Accept’s Fast as a Shark

#1146 5 years ago

Kinda reminds me of the Bier Haus slot machine.

#1147 5 years ago

Sure can. if you know the file names and where they reside on the disc, however I think the music mix is ok. I like the variety.

Quoted from kvan99:

The real question is can we change the music ourselves sort of like on Stern games or not?

#1148 5 years ago
Quoted from nicknack66:

Agreed. Not sure if I have become impatient with age, but while I used to get excited watching the ball go in the ferris wheel in Comet or Cyclone (I don't remember which had it), I no longer feel that way and the thought of regularly having balls go through that long wireform would drive me crazy.

That would be Hurricane's double-ferris and slooooooooow loop return back to the flipper - a game I can't play now without singing along to that shot: "I am waiting for my ball back, I am waiting for my ball back, I am waiting for my ball back, I am waiting for my f*****g ball back."

#1149 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

People don't seem to think of pinball art or animations in terms of a design exercise, when really that's exactly what it is. You're having to work to templates and layouts of specific sizes and shapes, and in the case of animation, timing. I think the golden rule of pinball art, regardless of how much you spend on it, is always going to be: have a clear idea of what it is you want to see and achieve, especially if you have license limitations, before you commit a single line to canvas. If you end up having to improvise on the fly for any reason at all, it is ALWAYS going to show.

#1150 5 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

I don't think Ben claims this to be great. Also he did all that artwork for free long before it became a production game.

It also illustrates perfectly what I said just now about pinball art being a design and layout exercise. Every element needs to look like it belongs where it does and complement each other without distracting the player's eye, and that's what AMH does.

You know who doesn't get nearly enough credit for this? Data East. Lots of criticisms get levelled at how their figures are drawn and the sketchy kind of style their DMD games employ on the playfield, but as far as layout and composition goes, it's A-grade work.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 7,899.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 140.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 7,795.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 7,795.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

6,100 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Queen Creek, AZ
$ 8,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

Playfield - Other
RavSpec

8,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dixon, CA
$ 11.99
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 129.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 39.99
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

There are 4,992 posts in this topic. You are on page 23 of 100.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/joe-balcer-confirms-oktoberfest-as-american-pinbals-next-pin/page/23 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.