(Topic ID: 224963)

Joe Balcer confirms Oktoberfest as American Pinball's next pin.

By PismoArcade

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 4,992 posts
  • 466 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Ferret
  • Topic is favorited by 79 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

8880f5e6998fb0663ff4a9a77f40c92eb6c125f2 (resized).png
okt (resized).jpg
59547925-ED73-4D13-9C0B-C0B4DB7F1F2C (resized).jpeg
20210418_173000 (resized).jpg
IMG_8199 (resized).jpg
20211127_232248 (resized).jpg
BLKFRIDAY2021 (1) (resized).png
16341706819071145026220657450351 (resized).jpg
AAAABWnlUYQGnwPYrDFi3t2ZJg8xDmhdqB2hGmDLTPnpLg4SjPq15X8P8IAl66bSXZXeQjCVgv9i_WrsIbMEvcUa9pH863X- (resized).jpg
20211006_190939 (resized).jpg
47cc5c7a51600f42dccc5022b9550eca8025c861 (resized).jpg
IMG_7361 (resized).jpg
IMG_7362 (resized).jpg
Okt upgraded coil stop - blue = new (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
20210620_160449 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 4,992 posts in this topic. You are on page 20 of 100.
#951 5 years ago
Quoted from colonel_caverne:

That is exactly my point. I don’t know if it is definitive or not, if it is a commercial choice for the US market but as an European costumer, german fellow in particular, it looks odd.

Metal music is a fail.

The game cries out for full out for better music.

Music that is played at Oktoberfest.

The best Oktoberfest songs of all time
Ein Prosit der Gemütlichkeit. A staple of German beer halls and Oktoberfest tents, this short ditty falls into a quick crescendo. ...
Fürstenfeld. ...
Sierra Madre. ...
Das Esellied (Iha Iha Iha oh) ...
Die Hände zum Himmel. ...
In München steht ein Hofbräuhaus. ...
Hey Baby! ...
99 Luftballons.

#952 5 years ago

Looks like a fun game. Not for me as far as to own, but would definitely play it on location.

#953 5 years ago

The game definitely looks fun. Looks like a mix of WOZ and baywatch which is a good thing. I'm excited to play it. But if stern put out that art package there would be 1000 posts about how bad it is and how stern sucks. It's all over the place in styles, formats, crazy busy playfield, plain ugly side art, and how did they end up with those 2 main characters and think that was good? Why are there realistic characters and cartoon style characters?

You dont play the art so in the end gameplay can overcome it. I'd recommend doing some revisions though as it could really help sales and push what looks to be a good game into potentially a top tiered game.

#954 5 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Ein Prosit der Gemütlichkeit. A staple of German beer halls and Oktoberfest tents, this short ditty falls into a quick crescendo. ...
Fürstenfeld. ...
Sierra Madre. ...

Ironically, it looks like they did a screen capture from sierra madre for the juggling mode
pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image2 (resized).pngpasted_image2 (resized).png

#955 5 years ago

Metal music is a fail.
Fürstenfeld. ...
Sierra Madre. ...
Hey Baby! ...
99 Luftballons.

...that being said, personally i definitely would NOT miss any of these songs playing this promising layout...
Hope the range between Metal and "German Beer Tint Hits" is wide enough to find some nice examples of music to implement.
Oktoberfest is an international success, -why not bring-in some french, italian, spanish and/or english Oktoberfest- titles to the modes...(?)

#956 5 years ago

We are taking preorders. NO DEPOSIT. If you have any interest you can PM me and I will add you to the list.

1838BEA8-2875-47FC-8754-0438B9235487 (resized).jpeg1838BEA8-2875-47FC-8754-0438B9235487 (resized).jpegBC0645D1-FDCF-490F-B30F-54CF08ADDA4D (resized).jpegBC0645D1-FDCF-490F-B30F-54CF08ADDA4D (resized).jpeg
#957 5 years ago

Metal music is a fail.
Fürstenfeld. ...
Sierra Madre. ...
Hey Baby! ...
99 Luftballons.

Don't forget the Chicken Dance song it needs that also. I would definitely want music like this in that pin, it would complete the package because it looks great and it would sound great with this style of music.

#958 5 years ago

Beercoastertycoonfest?

#959 5 years ago

Looks great for the theme and plays nice! I’m hoping for oide weisn music and less metal! (more brass tuba and accordion!) I think that would put it over the top!

#960 5 years ago
Quoted from tuneup1:

...that being said, personally i definitely would NOT miss any of these songs playing this promising layout...
Hope the range between Metal and "German Beer Tint Hits" is wide enough to find some nice examples of music to implement.
Oktoberfest is an international success, -why not bring-in some french, italian, spanish and/or english Oktoberfest- titles to the modes...(?)

Stop me if I’m wrong but Oktoberfest is a german festival imported by many countries like Halloween.
That said, the traditional music of Oktoberfest is not metal but more in relation with Oktoberfest in Germany, with accordion, the traditional vocals like yodels...
Rosh was proud (he can) to present a way different game then superhero, musical ..so the music must match this original theme. I want to be in the Oktoberfest festival when I will play this game. I think it could have so many humourous callout!

#961 5 years ago

Fantastic game, the ramp shots are super satisfying, layout reminds me of indy500/iron maiden a little...

#962 5 years ago

It’s oompah music that goes with German beer festivals!

#963 5 years ago

Seems a lot more flow than Houdini and fewer super tight shots that brick. Looks really nice.

#964 5 years ago

Looking forward to playing at the next show

#965 5 years ago

All this talk about the music. A lot of Polka music, and other German traditional music, would get so old so fast. That’s why no one ever listens to it and why it’s rarely played or used for anything.

Sure, it can be charming here and there, in the appropriate setting. But in my basement, for months or even years, while I’m trying to enjoy pinball? I don’t think so.

From an art standpoint, this is no more convoluted than GB or Deadpool. The art is totally fine. Even good maybe.

This game looks RAD and I can’t wait to play it! Hope it’s as fun as it looks.

#966 5 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

All this talk about the music. A lot of Polka music, and other German traditional music, would get so old so fast. That’s why no one ever listens to it and why it’s rarely played or used for anything.
Sure, it can be charming here and there, in the appropriate setting. But in my basement, for months or even years, while I’m trying to enjoy pinball? I don’t think so.

that is what I’m saying. The choice of the music seems to be destined to the US market, not European one.

#967 5 years ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

It’s oompah music that goes with German beer festivals!

This?

#968 5 years ago

Pre order list is started.
Contact us for more info

Stop by and see us at expo on the back side of October fest for some free stuff

Pincades
Authorized AP Dist.

#969 5 years ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

Fantastic game, the ramp shots are super satisfying, layout reminds me of indy500/iron maiden a little...

Were you there?
If yes, what did you think about the general illumination? Is it well lightened?
Thanks

#970 5 years ago

After watching the Deadflip.....Wow..really cool fun game. Can't wait to play it.
Congratulations to AP for an amazing second pin!!!
Josh will continue to improve code and just like the last update of Houdini, the music will build and more will be added.

#971 5 years ago

A few things.

• A completely unique layout again, and difficult to find major similarity to either Balcer's previous work or that of other designers. Pretty refreshing in the era of recycled or very samey Borg / Gomez / Ritchie machines at Stern.

• The art could be better, but it looks reasonable and theme applicable overall. However ....

• I think they really need to make some of the playfield art less 'noisy', and clean it up a bit.

**The grass** in the middle of the playfield is the biggest culprit, in my view. It's way too heavily textured and creates far too much visual noise, which detracts from all the mode inserts and other art, and makes them much less distinct. It would look immeasurably better either as a uniform colour or without such a sharp texture. The texture itself doesn't look too pretty either and looks like it might be from a pack of stock textures.

They may want grass, but having something more or less uniform in colour with perhaps slight tonal curves would make the playfield look far, far better. Green suggests grass, and they can still have grass on the LCD, so people would realise what the green colour is. What they have there currently is white (green) noise.

• Display seems very static, but I'm sure they're on that and will improve.

• As others have pointed out, the metal / hard rock guitar riff really doesn't suit the theme and is pretty grating and completely generic. The more Bavarian style music in the game that we heard so far is far more theme applicable and is fun and jolly and what you'd expect of the machine.

• The main bartender's voice ... he sounds half Irish and half Swedish. Maybe he is German, but he certainly doesn't sound like it ... he also doesn't sound anything like the caricature ... he sounds young. You'd imagine from the character it'd be an older, raspier, deeper and much more German voice.

Some of the other voicing sounds alright. But most of it really doesn't sound German at all. In fact, I'm not sure I heard any German vocabulary or callouts .. which seems a bit strange. Make it German!

• Still don't think the company logo on the side of the cabinet looks great. If you want to put something there, do a condensed form of the logo. An AP graphic of some sort. It seems unnecessary, and I can't think of a single other modern game with a big manufacturer logo on the decals. But maybe this is just for promotional purposes at launch.

• Last advice would be to try to keep it the same price as Houdini. If not, then don't take it above $7200. The better the value proposition, the more you'll sell, and particularly for pubs, bars and breweries (who'd normally be looking at far cheaper fruit machines in Europe / Australia which tend to take up less space and earn more).

Overall I think it's really positive, and looks great fun to shoot. For me, just a little bit of extra polish or a few changes would really make it look and sound a lot better.

#972 5 years ago

Yes I’m here - the GI looks bright but it’s in a well lit convention room so hard to say for sure.

#973 5 years ago

Dang I completely agree with rubberducks. Game looks fun to shoot.

My only addition is that the different size and type of fonts all over the middle of the playfield make it harder for me to read and parse. Maybe it's easier in person?

#974 5 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

From an art standpoint, this is no more convoluted than GB or Deadpool. The art is totally fine. Even good maybe.
This game looks RAD and I can’t wait to play it! Hope it’s as fun as it looks.

Get over yourself, it’s Oktoberfest. It needs traditional music. Its not a Wackenfest. If you want that, wait for a Rammstein pin. Then you can wear your leather in your basement. Until then, it’s lederhosen and Ein Prosit!

#975 5 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

My only addition is that the different size and type of fonts all over the middle of the playfield make it harder for me to read and parse. Maybe it's easier in person?

That's another good point re: the visual noise and lack of clarity.

#976 5 years ago

Does anyone know if the games armour has a similar type of finish as Houdini?

#977 5 years ago

I'm sure they can change the music if enough people don't like it, but it's pinball.

Is it just me or does every Chicago show feel like Xmas has come early. Love the look and play of this game.

#978 5 years ago

I have to admit that I was not enthusiastic about the theme when I first heard about it but after watching a few gameplay videos I’m pretty impressed. I agree that there is still a bit of tweaking and adjusting that needs to be done but overall it looks like a really fun game. Can’t wait to try it out at TPF and perhaps, add it to the wish list.

Well done API!

#979 5 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

It is going to be real interesting comparing this game in features and price as compared to the so-called next great Stern that is soon to be announced, the Munsters.
It would have been nice if they could have announced the price on Oktoberfest tonight.

Are we saying AP won Expo?!

#980 5 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Does anyone know if the games armour has a similar type of finish as Houdini?

Yes. There is here a video of SDTM with interview of Rosh. It shows the game and it is powder coated.
Would have preferred more yellow aspect like beer but no problem if it stays like that

#981 5 years ago
Quoted from colonel_caverne:

Yes. There is here a video of SDTM with interview of Rosh. It shows the game and it is powder coated.
Would have preferred more yellow aspect like beer but no problem if it stays like that

That's cool. Houdini has a very nice textured powder coat on it so it's great to hear that Oktoberfest will have something similar.

#982 5 years ago

rosh AmericanPinball will you be having an open house at the factory like you did for Houdini?

If so, I’ll definitely be making the trip again!

#983 5 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

Last advice would be to try to keep it the same price as Houdini. If not, then don't take it above $7200. The better the value proposition, the more you'll sell, and particularly for pubs, bars and breweries (who'd normally be looking at far cheaper fruit machines in Europe / Australia which tend to take up less space and earn more

Yea! This game definitely seems like it's a great value. The amount of mechs and features on this game haven't been seen since Woz.

#984 5 years ago

Huh, after watching the deadflip stream I had a few thoughts:
The entire choreography of the game needs work. The animations are not cohesive, the roller-coaster animation was clipping frames all over the place, the art styles seem to mix-match like crazy. Lots of different fonts, many of which were on backgrounds that caused them not to be readable. The music seemed out of place with the theme. I think the audio callouts are beyond bad; I can understand they're not going authentic german experience but rather caricature, but they should have hired a better voice actor who can do a decent accent.

Assuming that's all up for grabs, lots of bricked shots. Shots are mostly long except for the two target banks on either side of the lanes which are there to induce those frustrating rainbow drains down the middle. Its got enough shots but I'm not sure if its going to be a 'great' shooter with a bad theme, like dialed in, or more of a clunkfest like houdini.

#985 5 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Are we saying AP won Expo?!

Is that good thing based on previous expo winners.

Oh and world under glass, bubbles bursting, stern sucks, yada yada.

#986 5 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

The game definitely looks fun. Looks like a mix of WOZ and baywatch which is a good thing. I'm excited to play it. But if stern put out that art package there would be 1000 posts about how bad it is and how stern sucks. It's all over the place in styles, formats, crazy busy playfield, plain ugly side art, and how did they end up with those 2 main characters and think that was good? Why are there realistic characters and cartoon style characters?
You dont play the art so in the end gameplay can overcome it. I'd recommend doing some revisions though as it could really help sales and push what looks to be a good game into potentially a top tiered game.

Somebody had to say what I was thinking!

#987 5 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

I never would have thought they could make this theme into a pinball machine without misogynistic art focusing on the women of the festival. It appears to be more about the carnival atmosphere than what I was expecting. The art looks vibrant and festive.
It looks like it could be fun to play.

You lost me at "misogynistic art".

For a second, I thought this was a PezPunk post.

#988 5 years ago

Where the hooters at?

#989 5 years ago

Serious question

What about cleavage or pretty women is not family friendly? You really can't go very many places without seeing some tasteful or untasteful cleavage. Are public pools not family friendly? There are tasteful ways to add things and still be family friendly in my opinion. Not sure why AP is so scared of a little cleavage for a theme that is known for its busty women. You can still make the game about the carnival and have theme appropriate women that do not offend people.

#990 5 years ago

Would have been cool to have a dual faced bar tender that spun around. One side he is happy other side drunk and happy. Maybe not family friendly enough.
Looks like a fun game....great job AP.

#991 5 years ago

What's with the mustache/uni-brow girl?

lower right

beer (resized).jpgbeer (resized).jpg
#992 5 years ago

I like the theme a lot and the layout looks promising, but I can't stand the metal music and horrible, phony accents. Sound package needs major reboot or I'm out. Here's to hoping they get some real germans and some real oktoberfest music.

#993 5 years ago

Ironically, she's the girl with the cleavage

Quoted from gliebig:

lower right

#994 5 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

lower right
[quoted image]

Ahh. I like it!!!

#995 5 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

lower right
[quoted image]

WTH! Lol. Another fail. Nothing ruins the fantasy like moustache snd unabrow on a chick. Give her some hairy pits while you're st it, AP.

#996 5 years ago

Can someone please make a vinyl cabinet overlay for the girl's shirt?

National Lampoons style please.

TIA for the T&A

1000901988 (resized).jpg1000901988 (resized).jpg
#997 5 years ago
Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

WTH! Lol. Another fail. Nothing ruins the fantasy like moustache snd unabrow on a chick. Give her some hairy pits while you're st it, AP.

She's probably packin a dunkel under her skirt too.

#998 5 years ago
Quoted from Richthofen:

Huh, after watching the deadflip stream I had a few thoughts:
The entire choreography of the game needs work. The animations are not cohesive, the roller-coaster animation was clipping frames all over the place, the art styles seem to mix-match like crazy. Lots of different fonts, many of which were on backgrounds that caused them not to be readable. The music seemed
Assuming that's all up for grabs, lots of bricked shots. Shots are mostly long except for the two target banks on either side of the lanes which are there to induce those frustrating rainbow drains down the middle. Its got enough shots but I'm not sure if its going to be a 'great' shooter with a bad theme, like dialed in, or more of a clunkfest like houdini.

I'm not saying I love this game or I don't. I haven't played it. I'll make my decision when I actually get to plunge a ball.

But WTF is with the "bricked shots" comments lately. Goddamnit people... It's pinball. You are supposed to aim for shit. They can't all be open playfields with ramps fat enough for Honey Boo Boo to come shooting out of like Star Wars.

You saw a video and complain about bricks? Did you play it? Challenging shots can be a blast (agreed not an entire game full). Look at some of the old solid state games with funky layouts (Future Spa, Embryon, just to name a few). Or some Sys 11's (Bad Cats, Diner). Or whatever..

Time for more people to just start enjoying pinball again for what it is.. I totally understand this is a forum and everyone is entitled to their opinion. But, at least get a little bit excited for the hobby we are ALL here for. Instead of the never ending godamn bitching.

Ugh.

#999 5 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

Ironically, she's the girl with the cleavage

Is tha nut on her cleavage?

#1000 5 years ago
Quoted from romulusx:

Is tha nut on her cleavage?

Ha ha good eye!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 11.99
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

$ 8,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

8,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dixon, CA
$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 7,795.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 140.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 39.99
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 7,899.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 7,795.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 129.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

Playfield - Other
RavSpec

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 4,992 posts in this topic. You are on page 20 of 100.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/joe-balcer-confirms-oktoberfest-as-american-pinbals-next-pin/page/20 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.