(Topic ID: 224963)

Joe Balcer confirms Oktoberfest as American Pinball's next pin.

By PismoArcade

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 4,992 posts
  • 466 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Ferret
  • Topic is favorited by 79 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

8880f5e6998fb0663ff4a9a77f40c92eb6c125f2 (resized).png
okt (resized).jpg
59547925-ED73-4D13-9C0B-C0B4DB7F1F2C (resized).jpeg
20210418_173000 (resized).jpg
IMG_8199 (resized).jpg
20211127_232248 (resized).jpg
BLKFRIDAY2021 (1) (resized).png
16341706819071145026220657450351 (resized).jpg
AAAABWnlUYQGnwPYrDFi3t2ZJg8xDmhdqB2hGmDLTPnpLg4SjPq15X8P8IAl66bSXZXeQjCVgv9i_WrsIbMEvcUa9pH863X- (resized).jpg
20211006_190939 (resized).jpg
47cc5c7a51600f42dccc5022b9550eca8025c861 (resized).jpg
IMG_7361 (resized).jpg
IMG_7362 (resized).jpg
Okt upgraded coil stop - blue = new (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
20210620_160449 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 4,992 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 100.
#451 5 years ago
Quoted from branlon8:

Thanks for the explanations. I guess I was operating under the impression this pinball game would be based on the Oktoberfest in Munich.
Not sure, though, how a focus on consumption of alcoholic beverages translates into „family friendly“.

I’m sure it will be based on the traditional Oktoberfest !
It’s Just us crazy Americans dreaming about a few movies we find hilarious and always dreamed of possibly being made into a pinball. Some of the callouts would be epic!!!

1A5E4AE2-1BEE-48BB-AEF6-9615488D7B62 (resized).jpeg1A5E4AE2-1BEE-48BB-AEF6-9615488D7B62 (resized).jpeg3BD612C4-C0AB-4CEA-85DB-082F5FDE654C (resized).jpeg3BD612C4-C0AB-4CEA-85DB-082F5FDE654C (resized).jpeg610AC900-9C01-4D58-9159-C9F47797FAC8 (resized).jpeg610AC900-9C01-4D58-9159-C9F47797FAC8 (resized).jpegED2D6FEB-36F7-4E04-8978-47C0AE335F40 (resized).jpegED2D6FEB-36F7-4E04-8978-47C0AE335F40 (resized).jpeg
#452 5 years ago
Quoted from branlon8:

Thanks for the explanations. I guess I was operating under the impression this pinball game would be based on the Oktoberfest in Munich.
Not sure, though, how a focus on consumption of alcoholic beverages translates into „family friendly“.

Maybe you missed Rosh post?

Quoted from rosh:

Our goal is to find the right balance in what is presented, but we plan to have a setting for 'adult content'. Obviously all of our definitions for what 'adult content' means will vary, and even then it certainly won't go as far as some of you would like (I will not name names). We will obviously be focusing on 'family friendly' when we first release the game.
Beer is a part of Oktoberfest, like it is in most households and most fall, winter and summer festivals, including 'old home days' where I live, which his sort of like a mini-oktoberfest, featuring a beer tent, food tent, music performances, carnival rides and a midway, as well as many other things. So there are modes in the game that are about beer, however, a large part of the game is focused on the other things that are part of Oktoberfest, which is more of a fall festival, than a drunken free for all.
As we look to get more humor into the game, that is when things will turn less family friendly, but that is what the the 'adult content' setting is for. But again, we will only take it so far and some of that humor and content will not be there on day one.
Some of the ideas thrown out here are in the game or planned to be included, others are not. However, you never know, some have potential and those who have followed the development of Houdini know that I am more than willing to shamelessly take a good idea when I see one. Accordingly, Ferret and I will continue to read this thread to see what might be worth 'stealing'.
Okay, I've got a whitewood to go shoot and some jokes to write

#453 5 years ago
Quoted from branlon8:

T

Families go to Oktoberfest. Adults drink the beer and kids do not. Pretty simple.

oktoberfest-family (resized).jpgoktoberfest-family (resized).jpg
#454 5 years ago

suggestions for playfield ideas, don't waste your time, that is pretty locked in.

family friendly does not mean 'alcohol free'. As I said, Oktoberfest is celebrated as a family event around the world and has beer. I'm sure the majority of guys on this forum, who have kids, have beer in their fridges. Where the 'adult setting' will come in is around the humor. Again, that humor is will come over time. Certainly possible down the road we might substitute in a different version of a mode when the 'adult setting' is enabled.

#455 5 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

suggestions for playfield ideas, don't waste your time, that is pretty locked in.
family friendly does not mean 'alcohol free'. As I said, Oktoberfest is celebrated as a family event around the world and has beer. I'm sure the majority of guys on this forum, who have kids, have beer in their fridges. Where the 'adult setting' will come in is around the humor. Again, that humor is will come over time. Certainly possible down the road we might substitute in a different version of a mode when the 'adult setting' is enabled.

Make sure you look after your Show Games so we can get one to Australia, Huge Interest Here

#456 5 years ago
Quoted from branlon8:

Many families got their start through alcohol consumption. (Burp..!)

#457 5 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

Certainly possible down the road we might substitute in a different version of a mode when the 'adult setting' is enabled.

A flip-able PF would be nice to show the Sexy Girl side, like a sandwich with the coils in the middle. Sales will top The Addams Family if you do that.

#458 5 years ago

I say, forget this family friendly bs. When toddlers can afford to purchase a $7k pin, then we can cater to them.

#459 5 years ago

Americans simply don't get out and see the world.

12% of Americans have never left the state they were born in.

Most Americans (66%) have never left the country (Not even to see Canada or Mexico).

Beer and Wine are family friendly everywhere in the world except in the States and Saudi Arabia.

The monks brew beer and sell it in paper cups out of the side of their churches.

Vending machines sell beer so you can grab a brew on the trainride or busride home from work.

Drinking alcohol is not a sin, think about who used to make wine himself 2019 years ago......

#460 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Beer and Wine are family friendly everywhere in the world except in the States and Saudi Arabia.

I think you're leaving out a few/lot of countries but we get your point

#461 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Drinking alcohol is not a sin, think about who used to make wine himself 2019 years ago......

Peter Vella?

#462 5 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

I think you're leaving out a few/lot of countries but we get your point

Alright, I don't want to leave anybody out:

Afghanistan
Bangladesh
Brunei
India (Gujarat, Manipur, Mizoram and Nagaland)
Iran
Kuwait
Libya
Saudi Arabia
United States

#463 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Americans simply don't get out and see the world.
12% of Americans have never left the state they were born in.
66% of Americans have never left the country. ...

Personally speaking, I'd travel more if I didn't have a new pinball game addiction.

I'm counting on Oktoberfest to enhance my appreciation and knowledge of German culture. Bring on the beermaids!

#464 5 years ago
Quoted from ultimategameroom:

To a German our comments must seem bizarre. Das boot is a part of the competitive drinking events in the movie Beerfest. It combines German and English language:
1)Das German for the boot
2)Boot English for boot/large shoe.
It’s basically the biggest most Badass beer drinking vessel I’m aware of.
A local pub has a few they breakout for Oktoberfest celebrations when they tap German marzen/fest beers. The rule there is if you don’t order food you can’t get one cause you’re gonna catch a wicked Buzz.
I believe most hold (2) liters or almost a 6 pack!!!
It makes a liter mug look like something a Girly man would drink out of.
[quoted image]

To a german "Das Boot" is an old Book/ Series/ Movie about a german submarine ans its crew in WW2. Very iconic Soundtrack. Spawned one of The First popular techno songs. (U96)

Honestly I didn't know why everyone referred to a Submarine.

#465 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Alright, I don't want to leave anybody out:

You're getting there.

#466 5 years ago
Quoted from ultimategameroom:

To a German our comments must seem bizarre. Das boot is a part of the competitive drinking events in the movie Beerfest.

Probably because of the old German movie from the 80s

maxresdllllefault (resized).jpgmaxresdllllefault (resized).jpg
#467 5 years ago

The negative stigmata about booze in America is 100% about drinking and driving:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/niallmccarthy/2016/08/11/the-worst-countries-in-the-world-for-drunk-driving-infographic/#7e14231f2f5c

Note how we're 3x worse than Germany. (probably because our country is 10x bigger meaning less public transport and a lot of rural folks getting DUI's)

I think it would be interesting to see a map of the decline of DUI in cities with Uber versus the rural areas.

#468 5 years ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

To a german "Das Boot" is an old Book/ Series/ Movie about a german submarine ans its crew in WW2. Very iconic Soundtrack. Spawned one of The First popular techno songs. (U96)

I love the film and watch it in German with English subtitles!
That’s why I posted the explanation.

#469 5 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

I think it would be interesting to see a map of the decline of DUI in cities with Uber versus the rural areas.

Cities are crying how much drunk driving income they are losing because of Uber/Lyft, think of how much they are about to lose once Tesla upgrades everyone's software to the self-driving that the beta testers are using right now.

#470 5 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

The negative stigmata about booze in America is 100% about drinking and driving:

It goes back further than that.

When Prohibition was enacted in the USA, only 8% of people owned automobiles

-

#471 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

think of how much they are about to lose once Tesla upgrades everyone's software to the self-driving that the beta testers are using right now.

Or how about ticket revenue.. If everyone sets autopilot to obey the speed limit, what are cops going to pull people over for? Maybe they'll make up reasons:

#472 5 years ago

I've got one suggestion that will make or break this game....mini-keg as captured ball. I would pay thousands of dollars to repeatedly hit a steel ball against a mini-keg trapped between two posts, and I don't even drink!

All of the inserts should be steins and the topper must include a cuckoo clock with a mini-beer parade of beer maids and silly hatted people.

One last super tip...flippers shaped like glass boots!

I'm happy for everyone that will enjoy this game, it was fun to imagine.

I still hate the theme for dialed in, but can't deny its very fun to play. But it has to have both to make the cut for most. Will be interesting to see how this fits. Since barcades are a thing, it might be very approachable to sauced up patrons on location. I love Tapper and it has the same appeal. I'll reserve final judgement until its released and I can play.

More pinball is good. More pinball that's family friendly and captures the interest of younger players even better.

#473 5 years ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

I have this movie on DVD.. Great movie!

#474 5 years ago
Quoted from oldskool1969:

what about this as the back box video mode?[quoted image]

Genius!

#475 5 years ago

Happy Oktoberfest everyone!
Officially started in Muchin today. Runs thru Oct 7th.
It also takes place on the first day of fall.
Started in 1810 with the marriage of King Ludwig.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#476 5 years ago

Hoping Cliffy gets a playfield! That way we are protected from the get go! And Cliffy won't be on the clock 7-24

#477 5 years ago

A beer-themed/party pin sounds AWESOME to me. You guys are crazy. There's not many like this made and nearly everyone I know loves a good beer. To have a pin themed as such would amplify the fun.

BTW, Dialed In is a destruction-themed game, not a cell phone one. Dialed In Electronics (D.I.E)? The eye inside the triangle? The chaos unleashed on a city that you get to DESTROY if you hit the right shots? Choas mode with that has that creepy voice that says "we cannot be stopped"?

I played this game in the dark by myself one night and got to a point that I realized what was actually happening in the game and got goose bumps as I let out an audible "oh my god...". Dialed In is actually quite a freaky game disguised with a friendly-looking theme. You charge the phone and the eyeball pops up looking at you menacingly for a second, blinks, then disappears..... dude... freaky.

#478 5 years ago
Quoted from transprtr4u:

Hoping Cliffy gets a playfield! That way we are protected from the get go! And Cliffy won't be on the clock 7-24

I hope that, but I'll take it one further and hope that they offer cliffies from the factory, either as part of the base game, or as part of a factory-installed upgrade package that includes magic glass, shaker, knocker, art blades, and cliffies. Octoberfest Plus, if you will. Ditto Houdinis yet to be made...

#479 5 years ago
Quoted from ThePinballCo-op:

A beer-themed/party pin sounds AWESOME to me. You guys are crazy. There's not many like this made and nearly everyone I know loves a good beer. To have a pin themed as such would amplify the fun.
BTW, Dialed In is a destruction-themed game, not a cell phone one. Dialed In Electronics (D.I.E)? The eye inside the triangle? The chaos unleashed on a city that you get to DESTROY if you hit the right shots? Choas mode with that has that creepy voice that says "we cannot be stopped"?
I played this game in the dark by myself one night and got to a point that I realized what was actually happening in the game and got goose bumps as I let out an audible "oh my god...". Dialed In is actually quite a freaky game disguised with a friendly-looking theme. You charge the phone and the eyeball pops up looking at you menacingly for a second, blinks, then disappears..... dude... freaky.

Can you disable the "Crazy" callouts or any of those modes like Selfie and Emoji Overload? I just plaid the game again this past week and those two things are really annoying to me, so much so that I'd never own it. I'm not as enamored with the layout as many others are (I hate blind shots from a third flipper) but it can be fun to shoot if you get some good stuff going.

#480 5 years ago

I hope there's some fun classic polka music in this game. Like when you drain your ball it could break into "In Heaven There is no Beer", "Kiss me Im Polish", hurry up, or "I Don't Want Her you Can Have Her She's too Fat for Me" multiball. Kim puncuates the "K" in Oktoberfest.

article-0-0B4DCCE6000005DC-230_634x497 (resized).jpgarticle-0-0B4DCCE6000005DC-230_634x497 (resized).jpg
#481 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinstein:

Kim puncuates the "K" in Oktoberfest.

No matter how much surgery she gets, she still looks like a 3rd rate drag queen.

Think of her poor dad in hell, toiling over his life's mistakes, "I should not have got OJ off, and why did we not abort Kim?"

#482 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

No matter how much surgery she gets, she still looks like a 3rd rate drag queen.

Maybe so, but check out that pretzel!

#483 5 years ago
Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

Maybe so, but check out that pretzel!

I feel bad for the pretzel.

Normally they are shared between a few people, but kim ate the entire thing.

#484 5 years ago

I hadn't heard the "too fat polka" in decades now. So I checked it on youtube (link below and worth the 2min.) Man this is ready to go. AP could just plug this video straight into the game as far as I'm concerned. I'm sure some will disagree however the music is undeniable. Now thats some pinball polka!

#485 5 years ago

Cue in the AC/DC song Whole lotta rosey

#486 5 years ago

Hi there,
Has API confirmed a date for revealing or not yet?
Thanks

#487 5 years ago

Did I lock this thread with my question?

I received my Houdini yesterday. Something is telling me this Oktoberfest might join his gran brother...

#488 5 years ago
Quoted from colonel_caverne:

Hi there,
Thanks

Just that they are hoping to have something to show at Expo next month.

#489 5 years ago
Quoted from colonel_caverne:

Hi there,
Thanks

At the Pinball Expo in Oktober

#490 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

It goes back further than that.
When Prohibition was enacted in the USA, only 8% of people owned automobiles
-

And the temperance movement started decades before that. After losing all his money, PT Barnum made it back as a temperance speaker. That allowed him to start his circus later in life.

#491 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Think of her poor dad in hell, toiling over his life's mistakes, "I should not have got OJ off, and why did we not abort Kim?"

When are one of these super famous plastic surgery addicts gonna die of a septic infection so people will know how dangerous all this shit really is. They don't even look better, they just look like they've had work done.

#492 5 years ago

Please release Oktoberfest with WARM white GI. Im a Houdini owner and Houdini looks so much better with warm white. I mean its a Gas lamp era theme. I don't know why it seems to be industry standard to use cool white. Most games look better warm unless its a space theme like Star Trek or GOTC. But games like TWD, GOT, ACDC, IM all use warm hues in the art and are not cold or mechanical in nature. Please let the GI in Oktoberfest give you a warm hug and not feel like your at work or in a hospital.

#493 5 years ago

I gotta say after getting a chance to play Houdini which I liked very much I'm excited to see what they do for Ocktoberfest. Houdini is a pretty fun machine......sorta hard for the average pinball player but for diehard pinheads it's really a super deep ruleset and difficult game. If the gameplay is slightly easier shots but hard enough and deep enough for the diehard pinheads this game could be a sleeper!

#494 5 years ago
Quoted from Chicoman:

I gotta say after getting a chance to play Houdini which I liked very much I'm excited to see what they do for Ocktoberfest. Houdini is a pretty fun machine......sorta hard for the average pinball player but for diehard pinheads it's really a super deep ruleset and difficult game. If the gameplay is slightly easier shots but hard enough and deep enough for the diehard pinheads this game could be a sleeper!

Actually, I think noobs have an easier time with Houdini. Diehard pinheads have a hard time and brick shots due to muscle memory from wide use of the same shot geometry on so many Sterns over the years and it's not quite the same on Houdini. Once you adjust to the table, it's great, but lots of players blame the game, not the player, which is wrong.

#495 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Actually, I think noobs have an easier time with Houdini. Diehard pinheads have a hard time and brick shots due to muscle memory from wide use of the same shot geometry on so many Sterns over the years and it's not quite the same on Houdini. Once you adjust to the table, it's great, but lots of players blame the game, not the player, which is wrong.

Exactly and well said.
My wife's 1st game, having never playing it before scored 1.3 million points.

It took me 2 weeks to beat it.

#496 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

lots of players blame the game, not the player, which is wrong.

I blame the game, because I don't think anything about it is fun.

#497 5 years ago
Quoted from ectobar:

Definitely not for you then !

Is it ok for others to love this game?

#498 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

Definitely not for you then !
Is it ok for others to love this game?

Most certainly.

Definitely not for me, but even still I think it was a good first effort. Looking forward to seeing what Oktoberfest is all about.

#499 5 years ago

Game #3 :

Marvel's Iron Fist using TZ power balls as the FIST

#500 5 years ago
Quoted from ectobar:

Everyone doesn't HAVE to like it, but blaming the game design for personal taste and ability is misplaced.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Playfield - Other
RavSpec
Other
$ 39.99
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation
Decorations
$ 7,795.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
Pinball Machine
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
Other
There are 4,992 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 100.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/joe-balcer-confirms-oktoberfest-as-american-pinbals-next-pin/page/10?hl=acaciolo and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.