• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

johnny hand.jpg
demo claw.jpg
#1 10 years ago

I loved the hand on Johnny when I owned one, but now that I own a DM, I think the claw on it may be better. To tell you the truth, I was pleasantly surprised that DM had this feature, just because it reminded me of my Johnny. Sure it doesn't look as cool, but it seems quicker and simpler to use and doesn't slow the game down as much (and it still does look pretty cool, just not as cool as a mostly-articulated, futuristic mechanical hand).

johnny hand.jpgjohnny hand.jpg demo claw.jpgdemo claw.jpg
#2 10 years ago

in a death match, i'd take the claw.

#3 10 years ago

Gotta go with JM on this one, because you can't ignore what's on the other end of the hand...the ball-lock matrix.

Memory game + Tic Tac Toe + selectable jackpot shots = WINNER!

Later,
EV

#4 10 years ago

There is more strategy involved with the hand as mentioned above whereas the claw it is all about LOCK FREEZE

#5 10 years ago
Quoted from mwong168:

There is more strategy involved with the hand as mentioned above whereas the claw it is all about LOCK FREEZE

Hence, my disabled claw. I love DM, but all I was doing with the claw was locks and multiball. I find it is a better game with it disabled.

#6 10 years ago

If the hand was faster it would win but I don't know if I can call either one a "winner."

#7 10 years ago

You pick your jackpot shot by where you drop the ball with the hand...

the hand rules here !

#8 10 years ago

The hand has way more strategy, looks cooler, and gives a much needed break from the speed that is JM! Plus, I just finished rebuilding the hand mech literally last night. Nothing better than a smooth and quiet hand on JM.

#9 10 years ago

J.M. without a doubt.

#10 10 years ago

dm claw was really responsive never tried the jm hand tho

#11 10 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

If the hand was faster it would win but I don't know if I can call either one a "winner."

Exactly.

I've owned both pins and definitely don't consider either of them to be a winner. In fact I think both pins would be better off without this "feature"

#12 10 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Exactly.
I've owned both pins and definitely don't consider either of them to be a winner. In fact I think both pins would be better off without this "feature"

Boo! If you said JM would be better without the video mode, I'd agree...but the hand? The hand is cool. I've tried playing my JM with the hand disabled (when it broke) and the experience was noticeably weaker. Sure, more flow...but all the matrix and multiball strategy is gone.

#13 10 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Boo! If you said JM would be better without the video mode, I'd agree...but the hand?

Ha god that video mode is horrible.

#14 10 years ago

The video mode in JM Is, IMO, the only video mode that is actually like a video game... The vid modes on all my other pins are like simon Sez, where you're repeating back a series of keystrokes to complete a simple maze...

The best video mode in pinball is no video mode, though...

#15 10 years ago
Quoted from tamoore:

The video mode in JM Is, IMO, the only video mode that is actually like a video game...

Agreed. A crappy 1982 video game that you delete of your MAME database

#16 10 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Boo! If you said JM would be better without the video mode, I'd agree...but the hand? The hand is cool. I've tried playing my JM with the hand disabled (when it broke) and the experience was noticeably weaker. Sure, more flow...but all the matrix and multiball strategy is gone.

The hand and the claw are both cool toys...for a few weeks. The novelty wears off really fast. At least it did for me.

JM is such a fast pin...and that speed is completely ruined by the glove. It got to the point that every time the glove grabbed the ball I'd roll my eyes in frustration and let out a little sigh.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

3,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 35.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

€ 150.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 45.00
Lighting - Interactive
86Pixels

$ 72.95
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 22.50
$ 29.00
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 40.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 85.00
4,690 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
La Porte, TX
Machine - For Sale
Bethlehem, PA
$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Arcade Upkeep

$ 39.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

Machine - For Sale
Monroe Township, NJ

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jms-hand-vs-dms-claw-which-one-wins and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.