Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 47 posts
  • 28 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Gorgar666
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“JM vs STTNG”

• JM 6 votes
      9%
    • STTNG 59 votes
      91%

(65 votes)

This poll has been closed.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

5CCD8B2D-5090-4AC1-83F6-3DE360C0DFFA (resized).jpeg
    8F3A571E-B812-4C51-8837-F20EBB69C3B7 (resized).jpeg
    56B170F3-D1F1-4A2F-9BB1-E1A3870D2BC5 (resized).jpeg
    03A93F66-99A0-436F-A536-0620357811A4 (resized).jpeg

#1 2 years ago

Perfect Johnny Mnemonic Pinball with color DMD versus Star Trek next generation average wear. If value didn’t matter. Which would you get?

OK Star Trek was decided. Now World Cup soccer Vs Johnny Mnemonic.

#2 2 years ago

STTNG and never look back.

#3 2 years ago
    Quoted from boagman:

Right answer.

#4 2 years ago
    Quoted from boagman:

ROGL... please elaborate a reason?

#5 2 years ago
    Quoted from boagman:

Please vote thanks.

#6 2 years ago

Please vote thanks.

#7 2 years ago

JM is the most underrated and best value game in pinball. If it had the Matrix theme it would be worth MM prices.
    Super fast, excellent rules and callouts, great mechs. Power down is a super fun Wizard Mode. I really never get sick of playing it.
    STTNG is a great game as well, I just prefer JM. Good luck with your decision! Either way, I think you will be happy with either game.

#8 2 years ago

STTNG by far, even outside of the Star Trek appeal that pin flows like few others, the 2 video modes are fun, the cannons too, the only complaint I have is that the Wizard mode is too easy to get.

#9 2 years ago
    Quoted from ItsOnlyPinball:

JM is the most underrated and best value game in pinball. If it had the Matrix theme it would be worth MM prices.

Good heavens, it would not. Hyperbolize, much?

#10 2 years ago

I've had an STTNG and enjoyed it but have never even played a JM, so I had to vote for STTNG. But the theme and license and great execution of them alone give it a huge leg up in that department. The movie 'Johnny Mnemonic' strikes me as being like the movie "The Shadow". The only people who have actually seen it are the ones who own the pinball. The vice versa is not necessarily true though because I owned and enjoyed a Shadow machine and still have never watched that flop-o-roonie movie. If I had a JM I probably wouldn't watch its corresponding box office bomb either.

#11 2 years ago

I own both and love them, but I prefer STTNG.

#12 2 years ago

Owned JM and played plenty of STTNG, and TNG wins by a mile. It's such an awesome, flowy, and thematic game. One of the most packed pins ever made. Very, very fun, without any frustration. Battling the Borg Ship is really cool.

JM has it's moments, but it's also very clunky shooting up the middle, has a very unsatisfying feed out of the pops, and it really doesn't have nearly as much to offer as TNG. JM is not a bad game at all, but I found it to be as frustrating as it was fun when I owned it.

#13 2 years ago

So, I have to make this decision by tomorrow ....the asking prices are pretty much the same....

#14 2 years ago
    Quoted from Gorgar666:

I can elaborate, and make it simple too...

03A93F66-99A0-436F-A536-0620357811A4 (resized).jpeg03A93F66-99A0-436F-A536-0620357811A4 (resized).jpeg
    #15 2 years ago

STTNG is one of the games bolted to my game room floor. Keep in mind that there are a lot of mechs and there’s a lot to go wrong/maintain. I’ll add that I’m not a big Star Trek fan and love the theme integration.

#16 2 years ago

I've heard that STTNG rarely works correctly. That would scare me off from ownership perhaps. But, I've never played a JM, so I won't vote on this one.

#17 2 years ago
    Quoted from Gorgar666:

How many do you need? If one is all you need, then simply this: the gameplay of STTNG is miles beyond JM, every day of the week, and twice on Sunday.

If you need more than one, I can elaborate more, because there are a LOT of reasons why STTNG is a better game than JM. In fact, I fail at the moment to think of any individual category wherein I would give the nod to JM, and it's *really* rare that I would say that someone else's artwork is better than John Youssi's WMS artwork. In this case, though? Yeah, Greg Freres' STTNG art bests John Youssi's JM art.

The myriad reasons are too numerous to list I think, though. Trust me: STTNG is, by far, the better machine, by at *least* a couple of letter grades.

#18 2 years ago

If value is no object STTNG. It’s just a better game, especially if you like Star Trek.

That said for half the price JM is a ton of fun, fast, the data glove is a cool toy, and Power Down is a great wizard mode. The theme is kinda garbage but that’s what keeps it cheap.

#19 2 years ago

Not a Trekkie at all, STTNG is one of the greatest of all time

#20 2 years ago

If the prices are the same I’d definitely go with STTNG. JM is a great game, use to have one, but if I could have had STTNG at the same price I’d probably still have STTNG.

#21 2 years ago

No comparison...My favorite game vs my most hated game

STTNG is the best game ever made and Ritchie's true masterpiece

JM is the only game I feel comfortable calling a 'turd'-biggest design failure in pinball with the slow ass glove-blows hard

#22 2 years ago

Thanks fellas.

56B170F3-D1F1-4A2F-9BB1-E1A3870D2BC5 (resized).jpeg56B170F3-D1F1-4A2F-9BB1-E1A3870D2BC5 (resized).jpeg
    #23 2 years ago

JM should not be valued at STTNG value. You made the correct choice.

#24 2 years ago

Same price again Johnny ColorDMD $4350 World Cup soccer $4000 Regular DMD.

#25 2 years ago

It’s relatively easy to beat Johnny and no not talking about JohnnyPinball007 you can’t beat him!

Would take the Cup

#26 2 years ago

Johnny Mnemonic is the obvious choice for me.

#27 2 years ago
    Quoted from EJS:

Would take the Cup

You would take a cup to the nuts?

#28 2 years ago

WCS by a mile, but that's hardly a shock coming from me.

#29 2 years ago

I've owned STTNG & JM before and still have a WCS.

STTNG I don't miss, good modes and integration, but just too slow for me.

JM I absolutely miss. Hyper speed with great shots, good modes and a worthy wizard mode. Out of WCS or JM, I think I'd stick with WCS. Great all round appeal for noobs and pros alike, great theme. Concept of working towards the World Cup never gets old, either do shooting goals!

#30 2 years ago

This time, looks like it boils down to what will be available by the time “this weekend” when I can get up there for pick. 50/50 chances. Jajaja

8F3A571E-B812-4C51-8837-F20EBB69C3B7 (resized).jpeg8F3A571E-B812-4C51-8837-F20EBB69C3B7 (resized).jpeg
    #31 2 years ago

I like JM and not a fan of football (or any sport) so JM is the winner in my book.

#32 2 years ago

I own both WCS and JM.
    If you want the wife and kids to play, go WCS
    I MUCH prefer Johnny
    Can’t go wrong with either decision imo as long as they both work 100%

#33 2 years ago

I've owned both JM and WCS. In fact, I've owned numerous examples of both over the last couple of decades.

WCS is a better choice.

I love JM. It's fast, sound effects and music are incredible. The call outs are so bad they are good. Where it falls apart are the rules. The ONLY way to get a great score is to get the spinner lit and max your playfield multiplier. Playing modes is a waste of time, playing the multiball is a waste. It's a real shame as the wizard mode is outstanding. For points though, only the spinner strategy works and that gets frustrating.

JM is such a blast to play. It's the fastest Williams DMD by a long shot. I love playing it, but the rules are so poorly implemented.

That said, in a home environment, you don't have to go for points and can explore the modes and wizard mode. And it is fun which is why I have owned several and would own it again.

So why WCS? WCS is just a great value game that is a blast to play. It's a super inviting game as well and is a favourite among new players and kids. Just mention that in case it's a consideration. The music and GOAL call out really gets your heart pumping. It's a good looking game and just pure fun.

Honestly both are fun and you really cann't go wrong.

#34 2 years ago
    Quoted from PinballManiac40:

You would take a cup to the nuts?

Absolutely. Gotta protect yourself in a game of soccer.

#35 2 years ago

JM is simply better than WCS

#36 2 years ago

Only 1 correct answer . Both

Shane

#37 2 years ago
    Quoted from bepositive:

Only 1 correct answer . Both
    Shane

Or neither!

#38 2 years ago

^^^^^^^^^^^^^ I have never seen someone so in denial of how much they love and appreciate JM. Amazing!

#39 2 years ago
    Quoted from NPO:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^ I have never seen someone so in denial of how much they love and appreciate JM. Amazing!

Ha! Then you know I unboxed it brand new and played it a ton; hasn't gotten any better in the last 25 years. Blah.

You can at least have fun with WCS till you grow out of it.

#40 2 years ago
    Quoted from John_I:

JM is simply better than WCS

Oh, you're cute when you're wrong!

#41 2 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Then you know I unboxed it brand new

You unboxed a JM?

#42 2 years ago

He prolly had spinner millions on a 4x multiplier with bonus held and tilted, and after that, RAGE HATE JM

#43 2 years ago

Yeah plenty back then in the roaring 90s!

Quoted from NPO:

.. and tilted....

Well I'm positive that happend

#44 2 years ago
    Quoted from NPO:

lol..lol..he never misses an opportunity to knock JM, but I think you’re right, he wants one bad.

2 weeks later
    #45 2 years ago
    5CCD8B2D-5090-4AC1-83F6-3DE360C0DFFA (resized).jpeg5CCD8B2D-5090-4AC1-83F6-3DE360C0DFFA (resized).jpeg
    #46 2 years ago

Hey there is some red on the cabinet - can't be that bad!

#47 2 years ago
    Quoted from wamonkey:

Hey there is some red on the cabinet - can't be that bad!

It’s been in a Warehouse for 20 years. A/C and Wrapped. Will post pics once I get it home.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jm-vs-sttng and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.