• Fish Tales 41 votes
    46%
  • No Fear 11 votes
    12%
  • Getaway 23 votes
    26%

(89 votes)

#1 5 years ago

I'm in the process of trying to buy my first pin and I need some input from you guys.
I only have $2500-$3500 to spend on pinball including shipping if I buy one out of state.

I've played a lot pins at the arcade past week and really liked a lot of them but these were the only ones that are in my price range.
So what would you pick for your first pin and why?

#2 5 years ago

I personally rank them in this order
1 Johnny mnemonic
2 No fear
3 Getaway
4 fish tales.
All four are good games so you can't really go wrong.

#3 5 years ago

I have had all the pins you mention and I think all are good so wait and wee what comes up for sale. I prefer fish tales and getaway to no fear and jm.

#4 5 years ago

Fish Tales... duh

#5 5 years ago

If you're buying local (the smart way to go, but hard to do if you're eager to get your first machine) then it's great to have a list of several machines you're interested in. I couldn't wait and got my first machine (Shadow) shipped across the country. It all worked out for me but you have to get a good feel for who you're dealing with and ask a lot of questions and get a lot of pictures. And shipping is still nerve-wracking and will cost you $400+ in shipping fees.

I understand that game prices tend to be a little higher in the Pacific NW, so that might kill some of the financial benefit of shopping local.

#6 5 years ago
#7 5 years ago

No Fear
FishTales
Johnny Mnemonic
Getaway

I'm in the minority, but I think NF is the best all around pin of that group. Love the way it plays and I dig the theme. But really you can't go wrong with any of these.

#8 5 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

If you're buying local (the smart way to go, but hard to do if you're eager to get your first machine) then it's great to have a list of several machines you're interested in. I couldn't wait and got my first machine (Shadow) shipped across the country. It all worked out for me but you have to get a good feel for who you're dealing with and ask a lot of questions and get a lot of pictures. And shipping is still nerve-wracking and will cost you $400+ in shipping fees.
I understand that game prices tend to be a little higher in the Pacific NW, so that might kill some of the financial benefit of shopping local.

Yea the prices around here seem a lot higher than the rest of the states.

#9 5 years ago

That's the reason why I've been looking at games outside of WA.

#10 5 years ago

HS2 was my first game. Good game to start with but gameplay is pretty simple and easy. It will get old fast if you have nothing else to play. FT gets my vote being a fun, challenging game with decent depth. Tough game, though. I'm not really a fan of NF or JM. NF is annoying with all the xtreme-ness. JM is decent but hate the glove and video mode. Might be worth getting one of those if condition is good and price cheap. FT and HS2 prices are creeping up.

#12 5 years ago

I gotta go with Getaway on this.

As fast as JM shoots and plays, it's one heck of a bad implementation of a worse theme.

Fish Tales is the perfect theme, but very limited on shots.

No Fear? Fun game but you might as well get HS2.

#13 5 years ago

I don't really care about the theme so much so really doesn't matter I only really care about how fun the game is. So which game is most fun?

#14 5 years ago

No Fear- stupidly fast and fun

#15 5 years ago

1. HS2
2. JM
3. FT
5. NF

NF got an extra deduction because it has that odd angle to the apron and playfield that Williams did with that and Dirty Harry.

But Getaway is my tops out of this list. I’ve owned one for about 7 years, and I still love the game. Simple to explain, and a blast to play.

#16 5 years ago

Yes,

I'll change my vote back to Getaway.

#17 5 years ago

HS2 out of your options. But at this price point JP stomps then all

#18 5 years ago
Quoted from i_b_flippin:

I don't really care about the theme so much so really doesn't matter I only really care about how fun the game is. So which game is most fun?

you may want to reconsider the "I don't care about theme"... if your living with it and playing it daily, IMO, theme becomes very important.

I'd personaly rank
1. fish tales... and i hate fishing but its a fun and goofy theme and art package
2. HS2... its just a great shooter and the supercharger is cool as hell
3. NF...it gets old in minutes with the XXXtreme in your face action and being yelled. thats coming from a skate punk and snowboarder. you would think i
would like this but i cant do it.
4. JM... i want to like this game. i love syfi themes in TV and movies. i even like the move this is based on but i dont like this game. it has very little flow IMO.
and from what i hear the glove is a pain to work on and keep working properly. ohh and the video mode sucks a$$

#19 5 years ago

HS2 was my first pin, really fun but could use a little more depth to help with longevity. I never bored of it per-say, but wanted something deeper as my collection will only ever be 2-3 pins max. I also like games with a good center shot, and HS2 is completely lacking in that dept - you never want to shoot for the stoplight targets directly imo... It's my second choice in that list.

JM is my pick in that selection,. Its a lot of fun, fast and good flow (imo) but some down time with the glove and scoop shot to catch your breath. I hope to own one myself at some point. Though I have very few plays on FT, the theme is a complete turnoff to me. NF is also but to a lesser extent.

If you can find a Judge Dredd that is another great choice in that budget range. Tons to shot for and plenty of variety. Was my second pin, one of my favorites...

I'd rethink the importance of theme in the fun factor calculations though - for me theme can make all the difference in modes and goals that I actually enjoy playing. Theme won't save a lackluster playing game either, but it's an important piece to my enjoying a game, especially long term.

#20 5 years ago

Can't speak on the others but HS2 did not have enough depth for me. I don't think it will do well in a 1 pin collection.

I traded it for a T3 which I enjoy much more (and so does the wife). Better theme.. looks better visually, and lots to shoot for. The other game in my lineup is LAH.... If the theme and artwork doesn't through you off, there is a ton to do. shaker motor, magnets under playfield, the ripper which fires a ball at your flippers at 100mph, and a crane toy to lock multi-balls.... all this for a pin that is usually sub $2000. I've had my LAH for 5 years (my first pin) and I'll never trade it... many are the same which is why they don't come up for sale that often.

#21 5 years ago

I own the Getaway, and love it. But part of that is nostalgia, as it’s the game that got me into pinball, and it plays LaGrange by ZZTop. It will never leave.
I had a No Fear on loan from a buddy for a while, and once I got past the theme that I linked to a 90s t-shirt company, I found a VERY fun game. I logged hours on that game, and still quote the call outs in real life.
Don’t have as much experience with the other two, but I think I have to say No Fear, followed closely by Getaway.

#22 5 years ago

JM is what I would buy. However, I would NEVER pay 3500 for one.

#23 5 years ago

Owned a JM and FT. Between those two I'd easily go with a FT.

#24 5 years ago

Fish Tales by a mile given these choices.

#25 5 years ago
Quoted from Scorch:

Can't speak on the others but HS2 did not have enough depth for me.

Quoted from i_b_flippin:

I only really care about how fun the game is.

#26 5 years ago

I “cast” my vote for fish tales

#27 5 years ago

A dialed in Johnny Mnemonic is awesome. That would be my choice of this group.

#28 5 years ago

i have all but getaway, had one but sold it. fish tales, no fear, johnny, getaway is how i would rank the 4. all great games

#29 5 years ago

He asked for fun.

#30 5 years ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

JM is what I would buy. However, I would NEVER pay 3500 for one.

I know that price sound absurd to some people but around where I live, that price isn't too far fetched.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus
Plastics
5,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Gilroy, CA
$ 20.00
Playfield - Plastics
G-Money Mods
Plastics
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Interactive
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
$ 72.50
$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus
Plastics
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Newcastle, OK
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball
Led
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs
(Alt) Translites
$ 16.00
Boards
Lermods
Boards
Machine - For Sale
Anderson, SC
$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Arcade Upkeep
Under cabinet
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
$ 109.00
Cabinet Parts
Starcade Amusement
Cabinet parts
Machine - For Sale
Oakley, CA
$ 12.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus
Plastics
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
$ 63.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
$ 22.50
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jm-vs-ft-vs-nf-vs-hs2?hl=pinkopf and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.