Topic Stats

• 15 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by amendes
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 3 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image_2.jpeg
image_1.jpeg
image.jpeg

#1 4 years ago

My Johnny is lightning fast and I love it! However on a very consistent basis if I hit the right orbit 3 times consecutively almost without fail the 3rd time the ball comes around to my left flipper when I hit the ball it will go airborne, hit the glass and end up in the right outlane. Occasionally it will go off the glass into the shooter lane but that is maybe 1 out of 10. It sucks to be hitting some awesome combos only to have your ball in the outlane due to no fault of your own.

For reference, I have red super bands on the flippers. They look pretty centered to my eye. I wonder if either moving the rubber up or down slightly would help these untimely airballs. I also wonder if I should just go to a regular flipper rubber. The game is very bouncy as the slings are super-sensitive and I have red or clear Titan rubbers throughout. I love the speed of JM and want to keep it playing like it is just only minus this issue.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

#2 4 years ago

I was getting wicked air balls on my WW and someone told me to try moving the flipper rubbers up a 1/16th of an inch to try and impart downward impact on the ball. I tried it and it definitely made a difference...YMMV

#3 4 years ago

I thought that was just JM, hence all the busted plastics. Let us know of any improvements.

#4 4 years ago

1) Purchase the playfield plastic protector kits from pinbits.com
http://www.pinbits.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=13_88&products_id=625

2) Make sure to only use original rubbers on the posts. I made the mistake of installing Superband post sleeves and the ball was airborn all the time.

3) Take some photos of how you have it rubbered, especially the areas about the return/drain lanes on each side. When I first received my JM, it kept firing balls down the drains. Then after looking at some ipdb photos, I realized that it was rubbered wrong. The JM owner manual doesn't have a page dedicated to how to re-rubber the game, so be aware of this...

Hope this helps, These were the primary issues I had with mine.
-Brian

#5 4 years ago

I'll try to get some photos later today. I will also try moving up the rubbers a bit and report back. Good thought on the plastic protectors. My plastics are perfect currently and I have an extra set of ramps just in case.

#6 4 years ago

Dump a bag of sand on the playfield...that'll slow it down!

#7 4 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Dump a bag of sand on the playfield...that'll slow it down!

Or I could just always play with glass off so when the ball goes flying I can catch it and put it back in play

Hopefully will take some photos tonight and adjust the flipper rubber. Will update when I get the chance to try those suggestions.

#8 4 years ago

image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

Here are photos of my flippers and outlines. I don't get many Outland drains so I think I'm good there. I did change the superbands to regular rubber. Played a couple of games and maybe it is better but really I didn't do well even with glass off reproducing 3 orbit combos. I'll keep this thread up to date as I get more games and testing done.

#9 4 years ago

Beautiful flipper bats and just loved the red rubbers! Congrats on this gorgeous machine!

#10 4 years ago

Thanks. I got this from a local friend, Drewblood. It is in phenomenal shape. Still haven't had much time to get some plays on it lately to see if regular flipper rubbers help.

#11 4 years ago

Got some plays on it today. Seems maybe a little better. No air balls but only a few games played. I'll try to update this as more games get played.

#12 4 years ago

The right orbit 3 times = air ball here also. My suggestion is learn some ball control and avoid the problem.

#13 4 years ago

No doubt but it's just wicked fun with the ball flying around that orbit so fast.

#14 4 years ago

This is not purely game play or skill issues, there are lot of factors.
Let me explain.

Use only real gum rubber on your machine, not the new synthetic crap which is part of your problem.
It may look nice and colorful, but it is not the same.
White rubber is softer than black rubber in hardness consistency, unless its just old.
Keep extra rubber in SEALED plastic bags.
Re-rubber your machine, particularly the flipper rings if you have not done in over a year of play.
At minimum change the flipper rubbers, and you will notice and IMMEDIATE difference in air balls.
Watch the positioning of the flipper rubbers, if they are too low, you will have problems, if they are too high you have different problems.

If you recently rebuilt your flippers including new coil sleeves, you are going to have more air balls.
Check the flipper bat, crank, and pawl assemblies for proper angles, height and spacing.
This is more important than most people realize.

Keep in mind this game uses BLUE flipper coils from the factory specifications which are WAY WAY OVER POWERED for this machine, leading broken plastics, ramps, AND AIR BALLS.
The orbit on this game can hit over 120 mph easily, if you are good.
The ramp returns are *almost* as fast, and CAUSE air balls due to the flipper coils.
Plastic protectors (or metal washers) are a must.
Personally I am surprised ramps withstood the hits because they take a severe beating.
Fortunately, most operators never maintenanced their machines, so the flippers are generally weak.

#15 4 years ago
Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

This is not purely game play or skill issues, there are lot of factors.
Let me explain.
Use only real gum rubber on your machine, not the new synthetic crap which is part of your problem.
It may look nice and colorful, but it is not the same.
White rubber is softer than black rubber in hardness consistency, unless its just old.
Keep extra rubber in SEALED plastic bags.
Re-rubber your machine, particularly the flipper rings if you have not done in over a year of play.
At minimum change the flipper rubbers, and you will notice and IMMEDIATE difference in air balls.
Watch the positioning of the flipper rubbers, if they are too low, you will have problems, if they are too high you have different problems.
If you recently rebuilt your flippers including new coil sleeves, you are going to have more air balls.
Check the flipper bat, crank, and pawl assemblies for proper angles, height and spacing.
This is more important than most people realize.
Keep in mind this game uses BLUE flipper coils from the factory specifications which are WAY WAY OVER POWERED for this machine, leading broken plastics, ramps, AND AIR BALLS.
The orbit on this game can hit over 120 mph easily, if you are good.
The ramp returns are *almost* as fast.
Plastic protectors (or metal washers) are a must.

Nice post.... maybe new to many, but absolutely correct!!!! I was thinking exactly the same when I first saw these new synthetic flipper rubbers..... the gameplay must change A LOT!!!!!! 120mph???? WOW!!!!!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pin Mods
$ 99.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Sales
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 259.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside