Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

ALl 3 around the same price..

JM very nice shape, cabinet fade, glove works

SP nice shape but some damages on the side cabinet

Godzilla is a mess.. a full tear down and shop job.. may have sound issue

All the same price, 2K... which one would you go for.. and why?

I had SP in the past, and I actually like it..

#2 10 years ago

I'd rank em:

1. JM
2. Godzilla
3. SP

#3 10 years ago

For the price, get the Godzilla. It's hard to find. JM's come up quite a lot more often. JP's grow on trees, it seems.

#4 10 years ago

I've owned JM and SP and have a friend with a Godzilla in his living room. Go with the Godzilla. No telling when you will find another, especially at that price. JM is a bit better for gameplay but you can get one at any time. SP will get old fast. I had to have one until I had one. I got over it fairly quickly.

#5 10 years ago

Def not the South Park.

#6 10 years ago

Anything but South Park. JM is a LOT of fun and at $2K the price is about right, maybe a tad high (though, without knowing condition it's hard to say). However, it is very linear, there is one way to play it and one strategy. Unless you're in a tourney and want to nail the spinner over and over. Power down is cool, JM is a great game in a collection of 5+ IMO.

#7 10 years ago

JM wins

Godzilla was 2400, filthy with sound issues.. half the GI's were out, playfield had black all over it, ramps were black... not that I could not clean it up.. but have seen several on pinside at 2600-2900 all done up.. would be worth 200-400 more for one of those games.. I guess the Godzilla has been on CL here for 2 years.

#8 10 years ago

You won't be sorry with that choice. JM is a fantastic game.

#9 10 years ago

I think I will enjoy it.. time for different games.. I always end up with the same titles.. and this will be totally new for me..

#10 10 years ago

Good choice!

#11 10 years ago

you made it home - I am going up to play the newer games now after getting my ass kicked by you on 8 ball deluxe. thanks ed

#12 10 years ago

Oh sure... Play the new ones when I am gone... : )

#13 10 years ago

Excellent choice. I'm sure you'll be lovin' it.

I Just picked up a JM, it's a pretty cool game and can play really fast. I can't wait til I get it all shopped.

#14 10 years ago

Shopping it now...did not really need it though, just had to....plus I like white rubbers over black..

Ordered the x and y nut, I am pretty afraid of changing them though! But have to, hand squeals

#15 10 years ago

Good job, man. JM is a great game. Godzilla is decent. South Park is bottom of the barrel in the DMD era.

#16 10 years ago
Quoted from balboarules:

Shopping it now...did not really need it though, just had to....plus I like white rubbers over black..
Ordered the x and y nut, I am pretty afraid of changing them though! But have to, hand squeals

Might not have to. While its wise to replace these, a lot of the squealing is from the motors and gears. 4 screw and clean the existing grease out regrease with lithium grease and oil at the small gear. There is a tutorial here. I believe its in the JM clup posts.

#17 10 years ago

Thanks Jar..

Mrobertso. I believe I have that in my favorites.. Putting LEDs into that red box was easier than I thought

#18 10 years ago

JM is definitely the best of the bunch. I'd go Godzilla second as it has a really interesting playfield and is pretty rare it seems. South Park would have to be essentially free for me to take it. Horrendous pin and some of the most repetitive call outs I've ever heard.

#19 10 years ago

Just finished shop out....this has to be one of the fastest machines ever....ball is like a rocket!

#20 10 years ago

Well, definitely made the right choice.. this game is amazing, and it is just so fast it blows me away.. still waiting on the nuts for the glove.. but other than that, it is tuned in perfect... and FASTER then when I got it after my cleaning and waxing.. GREAT GAME!

Thanks to all those who pointed me in that direction..

Next will be a Shadow!

#21 10 years ago
Quoted from mrobertso2:

Might not have to. While its wise to replace these, a lot of the squealing is from the motors and gears. 4 screw and clean the existing grease out regrease with lithium grease and oil at the small gear. There is a tutorial here. I believe its in the JM clup posts.

Yep.

http://quinndunki.com/blondihacks/?p=1615

Nobody should fear this job- if I can do it, anyone can. I agree that the gearboxes are more likely the cause of squealing noises. However, I think it's easiest to pull the whole assembly to address that, and since you have it out anyway, change the nuts and re-lube everything.

#22 10 years ago

Blondie

Yep, it was your tutorial I put in my favorites..

Thank you for creating that.. I am still a bit scared I am going to screw this thing up more.. it works perfect, just has the squeal when it goes front to back, the left and right are smooth..

I expect the x and y nuts tomorrow.. is there any grease I can just run down to Home Depot and get? I have the white grease here now.. but it would probably look horrible as I am sure you would see it.. I saw the link to amazon, but that would not get here till Tues and I would like to wrap this up this weekend..

I cannot score more than 3 Billion on this game.. high scores are 13 billion.. and I want to BEAT them.. and not with all spinner shots..

Really do appreciate your creating that blondie.. it was very helpful to many from what I have read, and will be to one more maybe tomorrow..

Steve
Balboarules

#24 10 years ago
Quoted from balboarules:

Blondie
Yep, it was your tutorial I put in my favorites..
Thank you for creating that.. I am still a bit scared I am going to screw this thing up more.. it works perfect, just has the squeal when it goes front to back, the left and right are smooth..
I expect the x and y nuts tomorrow.. is there any grease I can just run down to Home Depot and get? I have the white grease here now.. but it would probably look horrible as I am sure you would see it.. I saw the link to amazon, but that would not get here till Tues and I would like to wrap this up this weekend..
I cannot score more than 3 Billion on this game.. high scores are 13 billion.. and I want to BEAT them.. and not with all spinner shots..
Really do appreciate your creating that blondie.. it was very helpful to many from what I have read, and will be to one more maybe tomorrow..
Steve
Balboarules

Sorry for the late reply- didn't see this until now.

Others have said white lithium grease works fine in the gearboxes and on the threaded rods. The white doesn't show, actually, because it turns gray/black right away from the mechanism doing its thing, and from mixing with the tiny bits of old grease in the threads that you can't quite remove. Any light duty grease with decent holding power should work. Go easy on the threaded rods- excess grease is just going to collect grime, and probably end up on the playfield. A little grease usually goes a long way. A tiny drop of oil (TINY) in the brass bushings at the ends of the rods is also a good idea. They're doing most of the work of holding the carriage, and could easily be a source of squeal. Especially if the squeal is only in one direction- the rod shifts slightly depending on direction, and loads up one bushing more than the other. I wouldn't attempt to oil these bushings with the assembly in the game, though. That's a guaranteed recipe for getting oil on the playfield.

As for whether to touch it, I guess that depends on how bad the squeal is. If it's bad, it's indicative of metal chafing, and a small problem will turn into a big one before long. If it's mild, it might be nothing.

I'm with you- stuck around 3 to 3.5 billion. My skills have a long way to go.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 19.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Vancouver, BC
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 0.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
$ 29.00
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 150.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 63.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

5,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
London, ENGLAND
$ 9.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
New Castle, CO
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 22.50
Electronics
bdash's bits

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jm-sp-or-godzilla and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.