(Topic ID: 257084)

JM resetting (not flippers, psu rebuilt)

By zacaj

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 24 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by zacaj
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 4 years ago

My Johnny mnemonic is resetting randomly. I've had it happen during games, during test mode, and in attract mode. I recapped the logic supply, installed a new bridge and a psu5 switching lm323k replacement. Voltage is 5.04v on the mpu. Wall is 121vac. Happens when the game is cold or after its been on for a while. Are there any other culprits to check? Never had a wpc resetting issue that a power rebuild didn't fix

#2 4 years ago

Did you test the +5 volts at the driver board test point?oh you already tested that sorry
Re-seat J101 and J102 and see if the connectors are in good shape and the hearder pins are good

Next thing would be BR2 bridge and C5 capacitor

#3 4 years ago

I agree with checking the connectors. I went round and round on a doctor who....rebuilt the power supply, boosted the voltage, installed Rob Kahr’s daughter board...ended up being the damn IDC connection.

#4 4 years ago
Quoted from pinmike:

Re-seat J101 and J102 and see if the connectors are in good shape and the hearder pins are good

Also J114 and J210

Also, check at the 2 connectors on the back of the transformer in the bottom back of the cabinet and reseat them as well. I had worked on one where one of these transformer connectors were half unplugged and caused resets.

#5 4 years ago

Another for J101. I had a WCS that was resetting randomly. Replaced the header pins and connector and never again.

#6 4 years ago

I had this exact problem with my TAF. Rebooted cold, warm, hot, attract mode, during MBs, completely randomly. Drove me flipping insane.

Mine was due to a combination of bad ribbon cables and a corrupt component on my MPU power board (U26 and U28). I systematically went through the entire pinWiki page on WPC resets to find it. That's why I always preach NO to the Kahr board. Do it right and never worry about it again, and even if it comes back years later, now you have the knowledge and experience to know what to fix and how to do it.

Here is my thread on what I did and what others have experienced with symptoms identical to yours. All cases from others within my thread: bad component on mpu board. As others are suggesting, replacing the IDC connectors with fresh female Molex connectors and swapping to brand new male head pins on the boards is a very solid thing to do too.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/taf-resets-in-attract-mode

Good luck. I know it's frustrating as heck, but you'll get it!

#7 4 years ago

J101 I've already repinned, pins and board. Was burnt, and there were burn marks around the lm323k.

J102 is for the coils, right? Wouldn't affect the cpu?

Ill repin the j210 to j114 connector...

Br2 and c5 have been replaced

Quoted from NPO:

Mine was due to a combination of bad ribbon cables and a corrupt component on my MPU power board (U26 and U28)

What ribbon cable was bad? I'd been thinking that a ribbon cable wouldn't reboot the mpu, could only mess with other boards?

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

Yep, true. But if you do have dark pins in this connector when you hit your flippers, it can cause a drag on your 5volt at the transfomer into the driver board. You can just reseat it to see if there is any improvement at all.

#9 4 years ago

What is your voltage across C31 on the MPU? Best to measure before reseating any of the connectors. Anything under 4.9v is a potential of resets.

#10 4 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

What is your voltage across C31 on the MPU? Best to measure before reseating any of the connectors. Anything under 4.9v is a potential of resets.

Quoted from zacaj:

Voltage is 5.04v on the mpu

#11 4 years ago

A lot of times, I find J114 wired connector pins feel much looser as you reseat them as compared to the other connectors when reseating those others.

#12 4 years ago

Repinned the mpu power, left it sitting and it reset from attract mode after an hour. Now swapping ribbon cables.

#13 4 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

J101 I've already repinned, pins and board. Was burnt, and there were burn marks around the lm323k.
Ill repin the j210 to j114 connector...
Br2 and c5 have been replaced

What ribbon cable was bad? I'd been thinking that a ribbon cable wouldn't reboot the mpu, could only mess with other boards?

I did all of them - full set. If I had to guess, either the lil' one between the MPU and Power Driver board...or the one from the MPU to the DMD.

Unfortunately, it was a bit of a "shotgun approach" at the end with swapping both the board and the ribbon cables - hence - my uncertainty as to what EXACTLY it was.

#14 4 years ago

Game reset again with all new ribbon cables

#15 4 years ago

Reseat J114

#17 4 years ago

J210 is the input power plug to the MPU. J114 is the output connector from the power driver board that feeds all the other boards, including J210.

#18 4 years ago

J210 is the input power plug to the MPU. J114 is the output connector from the power driver board that feeds all the other boards, including J210.

I did both ends

#19 4 years ago

Not sure this is still a power related issue anymore. Try pressing on all the socketed chips on the MPU board to be sure they are seated well.

#20 4 years ago

Not sure this is still a power related issue anymore. Try pressing on all the socketed chips on the MPU board to be sure they are seated well.

Tried that a while ago, didn't seem to have any effect. I could replace the sockets completely, although I'd rather avoid it. Doesn't seem to be a common issue on WPC like it is on older williams?

I left the game on all yesterday while I worked on pins. It reset a few times in attract mode. Sometimes after 5 minutes, sometimes after 3 hours. Doesn't seem to be any logic to it. Also played maybe 20 games, and it didn't reset once during the game.

I'm going to try swapping the driver board with another (also rebuilt) board from my Black Rose today, see if that has any effect. Sadly I don't have any other games with a WPC-S MPU that I could swap.

#21 4 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

I'm going to try swapping the driver board with another (also rebuilt) board from my Black Rose today, see if that has any effect.

That is a good idea.

My STTNG and TZ at times has the same random reset issue. Once I reseat that Z-connector, which is in the power wiring between the MPU and driver board, it works well for at least a month. I need to eliminate that Z-connector in both games. I don't know if JM has that Z-connector in that game or not.

#22 4 years ago

That is a good idea.
My STTNG and TZ at times has the same random reset issue. Once I reseat that Z-connector, which is in the power wiring between the MPU and driver board, it works well for at least a month. I need to eliminate that Z-connector in both games. I don't know if JM has that Z-connector in that game or not.

No Z connector that I saw. Wires seemed to go straight from one molex to the other

#23 4 years ago

Good. At least with swapping the power driver board between a different game, it will be good to see if either game acts up.

#24 4 years ago

In the worst possible scenario, after swapping the boards, both games reset once within the first five minutes, and now have had not a single reset in two days.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
3,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jm-resetting-not-flippers-psu-rebuilt- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.