New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 232173)

JM Glove/Hand issues

By PBFan

1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by vireland
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 1 year ago

Hi folks,

well wouldn't you know it I was getting ready to sell my JM (which I have owned for 8 years) and I decided to rebuild the glover mechanism (cleaned it and replaced the X and Y nuts). I put everything back together and played it for a few weeks - and it was golden. Then last night I was in a game and I was moving the glove when it suddenly dropped the ball and it fell back into the VUK. I discovered that the VUK and several other coils had stopped working. Turned the game off and discovered that F103 blew. I replaced the fuse and all the other coils began working except the hand will no longer engage (move in any direction). The game also no longer detects the hand and assumes it is broken.

I discovered a magnet wire on the hand switch was worn and made contact with a piece of metal which probably caused a short which blew the fuse. Fixed the short but now I don't have any X or Y movement. I am assuming that I probably fried something. I am a novice when it comes to circuit boards: Now given there are 4 transistors that control the hand on the main driver board I would assume that not all 4 of them would have been damaged so could the issue be the with the Dual Relay Motor Driver Aassembly board? IF so how would I test for that.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

#2 1 year ago

ok, I know some of you folks are bored with your new Xmas toys by now and can help a fella out.

Any ideas how to get started on troubleshooting this issue? Thanks.

#3 1 year ago

Hey there

I had trouble on mine so replaced the magnet and all good.

U seem to know it's a driver board issue but the reason maybe the magnet is bad is because it dropped the ball into the vuk

That's what happened to mine.

#4 1 year ago

I'd post in the Dear Lloyd section and if you haven't already done so the JM owners thread.

#5 1 year ago
    Quoted from PBFan:

Hi folks,
    well wouldn't you know it I was getting ready to sell my JM (which I have owned for 8 years) and I decided to rebuild the glover mechanism (cleaned it and replaced the X and Y nuts). I put everything back together and played it for a few weeks - and it was golden. Then last night I was in a game and I was moving the glove when it suddenly dropped the ball and it fell back into the VUK. I discovered that the VUK and several other coils had stopped working. Turned the game off and discovered that F103 blew. I replaced the fuse and all the other coils began working except the hand will no longer engage (move in any direction). The game also no longer detects the hand and assumes it is broken.
    I discovered a magnet wire on the hand switch was worn and made contact with a piece of metal which probably caused a short which blew the fuse. Fixed the short but now I don't have any X or Y movement. I am assuming that I probably fried something. I am a novice when it comes to circuit boards: Now given there are 4 transistors that control the hand on the main driver board I would assume that not all 4 of them would have been damaged so could the issue be the with the Dual Relay Motor Driver Aassembly board? IF so how would I test for that.
    Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Sounds like you blew the circuit that powers the motors. Do the motors work in the test mode?

The transistors for that are at Q28, Q30, Q32, and Q34. Look at those carefully on the board (the board is labeled with the numbers/letters) and see if any are clearly blown or there's burn marks at the solder pads. If you look at the J125 connector along the bottom of the board, the transistors in question should be nearby above that connector.

#6 1 year ago

Thanks guys. I do know the layout of the driver board pretty well by don't have much experience troubleshooting bliwn components. I had identified the four transistors. Just find it weird that all 4 would have blown at the same time. Wouldn't the fuse have protected them?

I guess I am going to have to remove the board and check them with a meter. Are there any other possible failure points (easier) components to check prior to removing the board? Oh well guess I am going to have to get dirty early in the new year.

#7 1 year ago
    Quoted from PBFan:

Thanks guys. I do know the layout of the driver board pretty well by don't have much experience troubleshooting bliwn components. I had identified the four transistors. Just find it weird that all 4 would have blown at the same time. Wouldn't the fuse have protected them?
    I guess I am going to have to remove the board and check them with a meter. Are there any other possible failure points (easier) components to check prior to removing the board? Oh well guess I am going to have to get dirty early in the new year.

Do the motors work in test mode at all?

Are any of the transistors visually screwed up? Often that much power will blow the casing off the transistor or peel up the traces to the transistor.

The fuses are slow blow, so if it's a lot of current at once (i.e. shorting a coil), it will blow components before it blows fuses.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 62.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 95.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    Apparel - Men
    Great American Pinball
    $ 12.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Flashinstinct
    $ 9.99
    Tools
    PinShield
    $ 7.00
    $ 999.00
    $ 5.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    UpKick Pinball
    $ 29.95
    Apparel - Unisex
    The GameRoom Store
    $ 8,999.99
    Pinball Machine
    Music City Pinball
    $ 40.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Arcade Arts
    $ 19.95
    Electronics
    Lermods
    $ 86.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 99.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    € 339.00
    Displays
    GermanGamingSupplies.com
    $ 54.99
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 99.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 69.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 3.00
    $ 9.00
    Cabinet Parts
    Third Coast Pinball
    $ 4.49
    Electronics
    Yorktown Arcade Supply
    $ 159.00
    $ 22.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 249.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Tilttopper
    $ 65.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Pinball Mod Co.
    $ 74.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 99.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 42.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside