New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 106773)

JJP's Hobbit Price Points

By CraZ4Pin

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 34 posts
  • 23 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by playernumber4
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

pinchroma_JJP.jpg
image-389.jpg

#1 6 years ago

I posted something related to this within another thread but thought this was worth discussing separately. At expo JJP announced new price points for Hobbit (and introduced a new edition of Hobbit). The reaction to the Hobbit reveal aside, what do folks think of the new price points?? I'm baffled by their strategy. FYI .. it's $8000 for a "regular" edition. $8500 for a "limited" edition. $9000 for the newly revealed "Smaug" edition.

First, WHY is JJP charging (or listing) the SE for $500 more than the LE? You get nothing more at all that I can see or that they've noted. It's simply different cabinet art ... and (one thing) is apparently a Smaug toy that is painted all gold (which to me seems like a negative since it will hurt the detail in Smaug even more). It also seems like a cheaper process for JJP to paint Smaug all one color (albeit we haven't seen it yet.) So what exactly are you charging $500 for JJP? That's a lot of money and for what? It's not like the 75th edition of WOZ where you at least got several hundred dollars worth of extra toys (grrrrr ... I hate thinking about that.) It's even more odd when you consider there could actually be more SE's made than LE's (or even the exact same amount.) There's no telling where the numbers will fall given the December 31 deadline for ordering (or switching to) the SE.

So what do you think the reasoning is? It seems to me they couldn't sell out 1500 LE's in nearly 2 years and now they actually raise the prices, introduce a new special edition, and think they'll sell even more games? It is completely baffling to me right now.

Side note: As for asking $500 more for the newly annonced SE edition, it seriously makes it seem like a smoke screen in order to get current LE pre-orders to just accept JJP introducing a new "special" edition (as if you're somehow getting more value by them introducing even yet another edition simply priced higher.)

#2 6 years ago

I see the whole LE thing as overblown anyway so I just see them as different option packages. They are making 1500 'limited editions' which is not very limited to begin with. I think they at least handled the 'upgrade' reasonably well. I would not be surprised if they would let you do a smaug version with the non gold smaug. But I think they have some bigger issues to sort out first!

#3 6 years ago

The real question is, will there be enough demand with the price points.

#4 6 years ago

Apparently the gold smaug and specific gold smaug added code is worth an extra $500 or an extra $1000 if you're buying a standard. Seems shady to me and preorders losing their LE number if they want to move to the SE seems strange but whatever, there's really no limited edition anyway.

#5 6 years ago

Pretty sure you can keep your number if moving from LE to SE.

#6 6 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

Pretty sure you can keep your number if moving from LE to SE.

Well, if your number is 886 (for example) and they only end up making 500 SE's then those numbers are more meaningless than ever. And it was very poor preparedness to not have even a pictue of the gold painted Smaug. They really are making this up as they go.

Its still completely illogical to me to charge $500 for one LE versus the other when you get absolutely nothing more (just different).

Lastly, can they sell games at this price point? Well, if they couldnt sell 1500 LE's in 2 years time at $7500 (and then at $8000) you dont have to be a rocket scientist to see where this is heading unfortunately.

#7 6 years ago

Maybe the gold Smaug is real gold that is why it is $500 more?

#8 6 years ago

I believe every pin maker should just have 1 model of each pin they sell. Let the owner "pimp" or "bling" out their machine. Companies can sell mods to enhance the game if they choose. Stern and JJP are just trying to get as much money as they can. As Gomez says in TAF "GREED"

#9 6 years ago

The real question is, will you ever remove the stick from your butt? Now before you run to the high moral ground on that question, it is my observation and opinion that you have a stick up your butt over JJP. Before anyone says I am attacking you, they should read over the last 4-6 months of your postings. You are acting like a jilted lover that can't get over the fact that they are not special. You have become a master at the loaded question. If I was your therapist I'd recommend you move on with your life. But of course I know you won't. So have at it. Start whining about how I'm attacking you and start pounding your shoe on the table. I can see you now hitting refresh on your browser drooling for the first JJP fanboy to enter. Here I am, so dance your little tantrum dance with me.

#10 6 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

it is my observation and opinion that you have a stick up your butt over JJP. Before anyone says I am attacking you, they should read over the last 4-6 months of your postings.

That aside DaveH, The question is a legit one. I wondered about it myself.
Of course JJP (and any other company) can ask what they want, it's up to us if we buy it or not. Simple as that really.

#11 6 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

The real question is, will you ever remove the stick from your butt? Now before you run to the high moral ground on that question, it is my observation and opinion that you have a stick up your butt over JJP. Before anyone says I am attacking you, they should read over the last 4-6 months of your postings. You are acting like a jilted lover that can't get over the fact that they are not special. You have become a master at the loaded question. If I was your therapist I'd recommend you move on with your life. But of course I know you won't. So have at it. Start whining about how I'm attacking you and start pounding your shoe on the table. I can see you now hitting refresh on your browser drooling for the first JJP fanboy to enter. Here I am, so dance your little tantrum dance with me.

If anyone doesn't think he isn't completely obsessed with JJP just look at his latest post history. I nearly fell out of my chair it's so telling. This is unedited. This is literally the latest 15 threads he posted in. There are plenty more as well.

image-389.jpg

#12 6 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

If anyone doesn't think he isn't completely obsessed with JJP just look at his latest post history. I nearly fell out of my chair it's so telling. This is unedited. This is literally the latest 15 threads he posted in. There are plenty more as well.

image-389.jpg 73 KB

Alex, while I agree that Craz has it in for JJP and most of his post are attacking I have to agree with is viewpoint on this topic! What is a buyer getting for their extra 500$ for a SE machine. It cost no more to change the artwork on the cabinet nor to make the rails etc gold. So what is the 500$ getting someone that wants the SE that isnt in the LE, other then different color Smaug, hardware and cabinet art?

#13 6 years ago

You get a certificate certifying your part in paying down the debt from WoZ.

Disclaimer: It's a joke.

#14 6 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

If anyone doesn't think he isn't completely obsessed with JJP just look at his latest post history.

craz4jjp?

#15 6 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

Ad hominem.

#16 6 years ago

After this expo I think distributors well be sitting on LE inventory for a while at that price point. $8500 IMO is extremely over priced for what your getting this time around.

#17 6 years ago

From my viewpoint, the "gold" Smaug seems like a trickier way to handle expanding the number of "LE's" compared to the way Ruby Red was handled.

Nobody can complain they were blindsided 1 year after they received their "less special" version etc..

But I assume the goal from JJP's perspective was to:

- get some more last minute sales (kickstart the FEAR you were missing out)
- free up more LE numbers to sell at a future date, without having to do many other LE variants like was have seen with WoZ
- help keep people who were on the fence about jumping off their preorder "in" the game... as they were not getting the super duper version with the dragon sideart

So does the pricing make sense? I dunno. I think it is funny the people who are counting the paper ~$1000-$1500 they "made" on their preorder this weekend. You can certainly fool some of the people some of the time, apparently.

#18 6 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

The real question is, will there be enough demand with the price points.

Drumroll.... not in Canada. At $9000K + conversion rate + taxes + shipping this $9000 dollar machine is at today's exchange rate.....wait for it..... $12093.

Something tells me that Jack and Gary can't really do math properly. I know this is MRSP but still... since when does a pinball machine is more technically advance than a car (for instance)

Mind you some people are still willing to pay that but I would assume that the majority of pinheads...don't...

#19 6 years ago

I don't know how anyone could pay those prices for that game. There is nothing on the topside! I don't care how much is under the playfield, i don't play the bottom of the playfield!

#20 6 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

The real question is, will you ever remove the stick from your butt? Now before you run to the high moral ground on that question, it is my observation and opinion that you have a stick up your butt over JJP. Before anyone says I am attacking you, they should read over the last 4-6 months of your postings.

YES, please read my posts from the last 4-6 months ESPECIALLY over the last month. I have made MANY posts defending Hobbit. MANY. I have stressed people would be silly to cancel their pre-orders at this point. I have repeatedly stated that there are many things in this game to be excited about. Take your own advice and go read my posts.

Quoted from Pinchroma:

image-389.jpg 73 KB

That is shocking to you??? I think those are probably all from this past weekend alone. I guess this is going to come as a news flash to you but Hobbit was actually one of the hottest topics from Expo ... just not for the reason you proclaimed (that there will be a "lot of very happy people".)

Honest to God ... how is it you have time to be on Pinside much less running statistics on my posting (just slightly stalkerish, no??) I would think you would have a TON of work to be doing along with the rest of JJP after this past week, no??

And seriously, why can't you just answer the question!! I get that the LE costs $500 more over the regular edition (because you get powder coating, Invisiglass, and a shaker.) But there is no logic as to why the SE costs $500 over the LE (you get different cabinet art and a different colored Smaug toy?)

#21 6 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

image-389.jpg 73 KB

The fact is for the last two week all people have been taking about is Smaug this and Smaug that. Now with the release TH and TBL are all people are talking about .I am sure your history for the weekend looks the same.

#22 6 years ago

It's pretty obvious that the main reason for the price increase was as a psychological tactic to keep current pre-order buyers from canceling. $9K is an arbitrary number, he could have made the price $10K or $11K on the Smaug SE and it wouldn't have mattered. Hardly anyone is going to order one of these at $8.5 or $9K and Jack knows it. He also knows that it will be a long while until the current orders are built so he's trying to artificially inflate the value of the pin to keep existing buyer's in because any new orders won't be built for a long time so may as well throw them a bone by making them think their game is worth more $. It's the same thing he did on WOZ. I remember when he was talking up how some people were paying over $10K for WOZ on the secondary market which made people think that maybe they should stay in and wait because they don't want to cancel a $6500 spot for a game that Jack says is worth $10K plus. As it stands I think WOZ is a $6500-$7500 pin NIB which is exactly what 95% of buyers paid when they pre-orderd. I think Hobbit should have been priced the same ($6500 pre-order, $7500 regular price) which would have been a fair price considering what you get. I'm sure once the game is done and Keefer works his magic on software it will be a very good game. I just think he's about $1K high on the prices which is what will make me sit and wait it out for a HUO example in a couple years.

#23 6 years ago

The pricing changes and "free upgrade to SE" offer looks like sleight of hand to divert attention from the expected disappointment based on the difference between what was promised and what was shown at Expo.

#24 6 years ago

Yet another lie revealed by JJP, looks like. When they JACK'ed up the prices on WoZ, it was *supposedly* because people were selling their preorders and games in hand for way more than what they paid for them. I haven't heard of a single case of this with Hobbit, so what's the excuse for JACK'ing Hobbit prices? =P

#25 6 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

I'm not saying Craz4Pin isn't a JJP troll, but the post history you've posted isn't fair.

Everyone is talking about JJP and hobbit right now.

Here is your own conveniently trimmed post history:

pinchroma_JJP.jpg
#26 6 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

I'm not saying Craz4Pin isn't a JJP troll, but the post history you've posted isn't fair.

pinchroma_JJP.jpg 36 KB

but he works for jjp??? if he's going to be on pinside, it seems to make sense, doesn't it?

#27 6 years ago
Quoted from davewtf:

but he works for jjp??? if he's going to be on pinside, it seems to make sense, doesn't it?

I expected that response, because that's exactly the point I am trying to make. You can't really decipher someone's motives by what topics they post in.

#28 6 years ago
Quoted from davewtf:

where are the Stern employees?

#29 6 years ago

FWIW, I honestly have no motives other then to get JJP to improve their treatment of customers and improve their transparency (better communicate to their customers instead of all the cagey answers) and improve their games (actually listen to customers like they say they do.) If you actually read my posts I have posted plenty of positive things about Hobbit.

I'm not hiding behind my Pinside account. Jack (and many others) know EXACTLY who I am. It's no secret.

#30 6 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

I haven't heard of a single case of this with Hobbit, so what's the excuse for JACK'ing Hobbit prices? =P

It is the opposite. People were backing out because reality kicked in. This game is terribly overpriced. Put it next to WoZ and add in the fact that a WoZ can be had for less. Ouch.

Given the choice between what people played at expo (and any improvements that could be made at this point) vs Stern LOTR, and I'd imagine people would rather have a used LOTR to fulfill their Tolkien needs.

#31 6 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

pinchroma_JJP.jpg 36 KB

LOL comparing my post history to his doesn't make sense Wolf My only care is JJP for obvious reasons. You don't see me in other threads do you?

#32 6 years ago
Quoted from davewtf:

Exactly. Comparing apples and rotten oranges.

#33 6 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

LOL comparing my post history to his doesn't make sense Wolf My only care is JJP for obvious reasons. You don't see me in other threads do you?

It doesn't make sense, only because I "know" you from your other posts.

Like I said, I'm not claiming he isn't a JJP troll, there are plenty of those to go around. Just didn't think it was fair to try and prove that via what topics he posted in.

#34 6 years ago

He just a troll and you guys keep falling for it. I put him on "ignore" a long time ago.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 349.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
$ 11.95
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Juneau, WI

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside