IMG_1195 (resized).jpg
IMG_1194 (resized).jpg
IMG_1173 (resized).jpg
IMG_1171 (resized).jpg
AFE12146-611A-4431-863C-2CD1C772E89C (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

6 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #593 The new artwork in high-res Posted by pinball_keefer (6 years ago)

Post #2454 Link to livestream of play on one of the first machines off the line Posted by solarvalue (5 years ago)

Post #2464 Picture of first jjPotCs on the line Posted by mountaingamer (5 years ago)

Post #2496 Link to Jack's "shipping" cartwheel for jjPotC. Posted by KingBW (5 years ago)

Post #2561 Comparison of prototype and final under playfields Posted by Join_The_Cirqus (5 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Psw757.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

255 posts in this topic match your search for posts by Psw757. You are on page 1 of 2.
#24 6 years ago

Yep...pisses me off..boy do I hope Stern makes this Beatles machine now!

I think I’m likely tapping out unless the price drops.

#35 6 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

As Tommy Boy would say “that’s gonna leave a mark”
Yeah that is a major bummer. I realize that it needs to work and be reliable but that feature was awesome
The game and shots are still there but F that’s a punch in the nuts

This is going to hurt them at this price point and I’m sure they are out of time trying to make it reliable.

This games was announced so long ago that it is now time to shit or get off the pot!

I don’t think it’s even worth $8500 at this point for the LE. Maybe 8k.

#45 6 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Oh pinside, you can be so dramatic.
Having played the prototype approx 30-40 times, I must say this change is welcomed. My two biggest concerns about the game were these 2 mechs. In the 30-40 games I played (half at banning and half at Ayce Gogi), the chest only worked one time. Making this toy not only a reliable locking Mech, but a reliable shot was very much needed.
As for the spinning disk; when it worked, it was cool. But it worked about 50% of the time, the other times it would do this stutter step thing like it was on its last life, it did not look or play well. We haven’t seen the new Mech in action so really can’t comment on it, but as bigd mentioned, reliability and playability are the important factors here.
I vote you all put your pinside drama aside until you see the new mechs in action. JJP pins are still the best >$8k pins on the market to date, and there’s a reason for that. Nothing else compares for the price, even IMDN-LE.

Let’s be honest here.... that new spinner look like a spinning barf wheel and the game is no longer loaded with innovative toys.

As someone else said, no video content, no licensed music and really only one nice toy now.

If sales slip because of this, it ain’t going to be good for JJP.

The machine is no longer worth $9500, period.

#46 6 years ago
Quoted from Sinestro:

They need to lower the price of this game $500 to compensate for the loss of the two mechs.
Clearly, they are saving on the BOM. Why should buyers suffer?

$500 isn’t enough.

Aside from the mechs, the PF just doesn’t look as nice. The triple spinner was pretty damn cool.

#52 6 years ago
Quoted from FlippyD:

The chest is no biggie but changing the disc is pretty darn disappointing. It was more than just a gameplay element but also an exciting visual element with its lit up inserts. Replacing it with an unlit map is sadly a pretty steep downgrade.
Here are some ideas for alternatives:
Make it a spinning LED disc. You could create wild holographic effects with it. When not spinning you see the map graphics, when it spins different animations are played.
Make it a literal liquid maelstrom. Some sealed blue fluid and some lights and you could have an impressive “analog” visual.

I always thought some sort of spinning maelstrom that could eat your ball would be kind of cool.

#64 6 years ago
Quoted from gatordad:

Wow
really disappointed to hear about this
Nice try on the video update but the announcement was an epic fail all around
JJPPOTC was on my want list, but now I'll only looking for a used one at a greatly deflated price point
No Thanks
So much for innovation
Lets strip it down.....
Especially when I can buy 2 or 3 nice Stern or William's games to fill my basement up with.
More bang for the buck with the old reliablity

Exactly my thoughts now!

#66 6 years ago
Quoted from PinBuck:

New pics of the updated spinner...

That spinner looks better than the new barf splatter spinner!

#70 6 years ago

Maybe they should make sure their shit actually works and is mechanically reliable before launching and taking orders.

This f$&@ up could hurt JJP if sales slip. They no doubt have a bunch of time and money invested in this title.

#90 6 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

It's explicitly stated in their literature that "Game appearance and specifications subject to change without notice", and by definition nothing is final whilst they're still running prototypes (they are) rather than final engineering samples.
The notion that this is somehow a cheap, cost cut game is absolutely ludicrous, whwn you compare it to the competition - all of them.

Your kidding?

Time to stop drinking the Kool-Aid.

#98 6 years ago
Quoted from arcadem:

The new single disc looks like a rushed in design change. They need to take some added time to do it right before the game becomes known as "Pizzas of the Caribbean ".
That splatter disc just does not measure up the way it presently appears.

Its now shit get of the pot time for getting these produced. I’m thinkin the clock has expired for further r&d which is unfortunate.

One has to wonder if they could do it all over again, would they even have a spinner and chest?

#308 6 years ago

The right thing for JJP to do is delay the release and make work reliably.

If they can’t do this, they need to delay and go back to the drawing board for a partial re-design for the discs and chest. New ideas/toys, not some BS lick it and stick it 25 cent POS decal.

How about a round led display in pf that looks just like the three spinning discs? They can do the same thing.

If they are unable/unwilling to do any of this then they have a big f$&@ing shit storm coming.

#331 6 years ago
Quoted from JY64:

It has been 6 months since the unveil that I am sure cut into DI sales and you think a delay is a good idea

Yeah I do. I have one on order and I want it to be the cutting edge innovative machine that it was intended to me.

With these cuts and a lack of licensed audio video, it’s pretty much a 10k nothing burger to me. Oh boy we still have a rocking ship to play with.

Put the game out as designed, whether it’s 6 months or 10 months. Time frame is irrelevant to me however if they lose a shit load of sales, it will be more costly than absorbing the cost of more development time. Jmho.

#354 6 years ago
Quoted from FlippyD:

Then at least give it to the CE buyers?
Problem with game companies being transparent is that it just tends to cause them more harm then good.
We as consumers end up with enough information to do harm to the brand but not enough information to see the forest from the trees.
And in a worst case scenario the developers announce cool shit and then take that cool shit away.

Transparency is always good but I’m raising the big BS flag on the disc. As someone else said previously, I think this is a cost or parts availability issue.

All videos seem to indicate the disc has been pretty reliable to date. The trunk maybe not but I think that could be fixed pretty easily.

I think they just want to start producing and selling at OUR cost to start capitalizing on their investment in this title.

Not cool!

#356 6 years ago
Quoted from fishbone:

Could be. I agree the whole thing smells a bit fishy.
Imagine a Black Pearl Edition a couple of years down the road including the (new and improved) original spinning disc.

This would be the icing on the cake and would seriously piss original buyers off.

#363 6 years ago
Quoted from Draegermeister:

I loved the spinning discs. It was better than the compass and even the rocking ship.
I hope they can revisit the spinning discs. Or keep it on the LE. Maybe make it an aftermarket upgrade. Perhaps they could write a warranty clause keeping this mech's parts under warranty longer, if it's a HUO machine. I love playing the machine at Level 257 in Schaumburg, IL.

The discs did make some noise but I would rather have them with the noise. They said in videos that they were reliable and don’t recall seeing any sort of malfunction of them.

I’ll take my chances on huo with discs holding up fine. On location maybe offer the alternate disc for the operator.

I would be ok replacing the disc mech after it wears out, things do wear out. JJP can sell replacement kits.

I’m sure this would option would be accepted by most of us.

#370 6 years ago

Just another thought

We all assume because of the hype on pinside that sales were going to be strong but perhaps the pre-order numbers are much lower than we realize and JJP expected and are now in cost cutting mode due to length of development and cost of licensing. Most folks weren’t happy initially with another POTC so maybe the orders are falling short.

Just thinking out loud as this all makes no sense and am quite perplexed!

#395 6 years ago
Quoted from spinal:

JJP has proposed a cut and run solution: replace the most complex piece of hardware with a simple motor. Reasons given is that original design at high speeds is unreliable and too loud and a simple motor will be reliable and quieter. Since they are willing to make this very drastic move at any expense to their reputation, I'm assuming two things for now:
1. We're not getting the three disks spinning at high rate as originally proposed.
2. Although looking a bit suspicious right now, im still taking their word that the reason it's being cut is THAT IT DOESN'T WORK RELIABLY AT HIGH SPEED AND IS TOO LOUD.
Many good alternative solutions have been proposed. Here is a poll:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/potc-save-the-3-disks-poll
For me the obvious solution is that the hardware remain exactly as is EXCEPT that it's initial intended purpose be modified (just moving slowly now as a cool toy to show progress on lining up interlocking rings). Here are reasons why:
1. The device has been tested at high speed for a long time. So if it operated only at low speeds now, it will probably be the most reliable device ever made (if high speed was the main reliability issue).
2. Yes, we give up the fact that the rings put action on the ball but I'm OK with that. But remember that often not all 3 rings were rotating. In fact, when spinning fast one could not see much of anything and they weren't spinning that fast in the movie anyway. What was cool was SEEING the 3 rings. It's a cool piece of hardware that just looks cool! So, like most of us who voted, it's not a downgrade to have this piece of hardware stay as is just moving slowly, rings moving around slowly while playing.
3. What we gain is that this cool piece of hardware can now be tied even more into gameplay! Remember that each disk can be moved to any orientation by software and the game always knows the orientation of each disk. This allows for making shots that turn the discs on the playfield and the goal is to reach certain configurations for jackpots or finishing modes etc. certain shots could change directions of rings or pops could randomly change directions etc. Making lit shots turns a ring to left or right and you make shots to get rings aligned as you need - exactly like the puzzle theme of movie! In my view this is even better than having just spin a high speed where you can't see anything and does not add much to gameplay (except action on the ball).
4. JJP is obviously in rush mode now and are no longer willing to wait it out. This proposal of using the original hardware just at very slow speeds is best here. No changes needed at all - leave everything exactly as is - only code has to change. In the worst case ship the game with limited integrations as described in 3. and update code later - we will understand.
5. Quiet as a mouse if each ring only moving a bit here and there one or a few positions at a time.
It's not time to throw the baby out with the bath water here - the hardware is very cool even if not spinning at high speed. I have actually come to think it's better slower - to have it more integrated into gameplay, always visible because not blurred away and closer to movie movement, and now reliable and silent.
If the real reasons for completely cutting this hardware are indeed high speed reliability and it being too loud, then this low-speed original hardware solution checks all boxes and is the obvious way forward. We have voted on it as well (poll above) and the majority prefer this over replacing with the single stock motor.
If they don't go with this most obvious compromise then clearly we know that there are other reasons being kept from us and JJP are not being forthright here to their loyal supporters.

If the discs spin at a slower speed, couldn’t the disks decals be made out of a slightly more gritty material to put some more english on the ball? I’m thinking like the original potc disc.

#400 6 years ago
Quoted from Guinnesstime:

Man, people are really taking this hard. I think this post was longer than the internship paper I wrote back in college.
So everyone WANTS the Fountain of Youth discs. JJP needs to ship pins, or at the very least, get some cash while it's being worked out. Right now, deposits are refundable.
How many would pony up 1/2 of their full pin price, non-refundable, for JJP to figure the disc issue out?
Stipulation is it will require JJP to deliver the original 3 disc design.
Who's in THEN?

If there was a guarantee that they will work this out and make it work as intended I would have no problem paying half or even full payment.
Problem is trust has been eroded and Pandora’s box has been opened. Seems like that can’t guarantee anything so I doubt anyone has enough faith in them to pay in full.

The announcement still strikes me as odd. Almost seemed like a generic YouTube video filmed from home. That is not normal operating practice for any company. The msg should have come from Jack.

#411 6 years ago
Quoted from adborto:

I would have no problem paying in full, but I don’t believe that is the issue in this case. They most likely found out that their bill of materials was to high and decided that they needed to pull some features back to make the game profitable.

My belief as well!

#412 6 years ago
Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

I know I'm late to the party, but you're saying that this game has no video from the movies?

The scenes they used are nothing memorable from any of the movies and show none of the actors. Have you watched any of the videos?

Some have been complaining about this from day 1.

#414 6 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Those movies are terrible and the pin is better for not having any video ripped from them! Just like the Stern version.

That is really a matter of opinion. I think some of the Marvel stuff sucks, some think Star Wars sucks.

What more can you say?

JJP thought they were good enough to make a pin based on all 5 movies.

Maybe the whole idea is a major blunder.

#432 6 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

That's a good point actually. Some people think Star Wars is great because it has so many clips from the movies. Others complain that "if I want to watch the DVD I don't need to spend $6,000."
So basically...it doesn't really matter. Half the people are always gonna complain.

Very true and the only ones that really should complain are those that have ordered or are planning buying the machine.

#447 6 years ago
Quoted from spoke:

First off, upper management should never have thrown him under the bus like they did. Why was he the one to present this alone, where was the support? Where was Jack or Joe or Pat or Keith? I find it hard to believe that they did not know this was going to blow up big and ugly.
Second, why publish this when they knew he would be at a show with may folks with deposits down, who they had to know were not going to be happy. That is not how you should treat someone, Eric deserves better and to me it only made them look worse (at least folks got a last chance to play with the three concentric disks).
Third, I feel bad for Eric (and Keith) that they can't make this work, I am sure he was proud of it, and it was super cool. I have to think that 99% of the suggestions and alternatives they that have been throw out have already been assessed by the JJP team. I sure hope, that they have spent a lot of time trying to making this work and this was very much a last resort, but again, show a united front, don't take your new hot designer and hang him out to dry.
On a positive note, for those not happy and want to get out, there are quite a few games to look at Iron Maiden, Houdini, TNA . . .

I wouldn't take the video necessarily at face value. I'm not buying reliability issues with the disk, maybe the trunk though. I think this is purely cost cutting and since it is a major change in direction for the game, the msg should have come from the captain of the ship and that is Jack himself. Easy to use reliability as an excuse but cost cutting excuse would further enfuriate everyone.

The Captain always goes down with the ship! Arghhhh! No parlay for you! Lol☠️

#470 6 years ago

Something simple they can pull off twould be make the laser cut topper optional for the standard, a more interactive topper of some kind for the LE and ship in bottle for CE.
This along with a slightly revised art package for the spinner to make it fit in and I think most would be onboard again.

Edit - I would prefer the original design though, just throwing some other ideas out there that haven’t been mentioned.

#493 6 years ago

Their slogan stating - “Our Games Premium No Compromise” clearly doesn’t apply to this title. Lol

#540 6 years ago

For me it isn’t simply going from the 3x spinner to the single. The art is horrendous to look at on that spinner and really diminishes the overall look.

Let me ask this.

If they revealed this change with a single disc showing fantastic art and integration of theme, would there be as many of us totally bummed out?

#562 6 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

Me too but I don't think they have a choice in it now. As a trade off with something they can do is I would love to see a video mode where you get to shoot cannons at at ships with their animations it would look sick.

That would be awesome!

#607 6 years ago

Still doesn't look great and if this is their final plan they really should consider lowering the price. I think I'm likely out and my money will be going to CGC. I'm going to hold out until the decision is final before I cancel. Damn I'm disappointed!

#782 6 years ago
Quoted from danastude:

The trunk....get over it. It is a minor change that is not that noticeable. The triple disk....Yes, it is noticeable, and yes, I am disappointed in the new look, but again, get over it. This game is so much more. Stop hyper focusing on one feature of the game and look at the entire table. That said, the disk should be one or two inches larger diameter.

Kind of hard not to stare at a huge hunk of shit spinning in the middle of the pf.

Just saying....

#803 6 years ago

Is the ship still going to be outfitted with sails as they previously mentioned?

Or did they mothball that idea too?

#821 6 years ago
Quoted from Tucks:

Wow. 17 pages on a spinning disc(s). Some people on here need to get a grip. It's still a great game that JJP are obviously making more reliable for their customers. Just a thought but why no give them some positive comments and help the people that create and further your hobby rather than shoot them down. Makes no sense to me.

It’s not just about spinning discs.

More like no triple spinner compounded with single spinner which they decided to slap shit art on and then also decided we don’t have time to make treasure chest open and close.

All this while maintaining same price point.

I don’t have an issue with changes but you have to make it look good which they didn’t. They really should have tried to minimize the cuts by at least making the chest work.

Just my 2 cents

#823 6 years ago
Quoted from moonduckie78:

I get where people are coming from. I think I would be pretty salty too, if I had wanted one of these in the first place.
I am wondering if/what/how this might affect JJP#5 and beyond.
A more conservative approach to innovative features? Game reveals closer to start of actual production? Anything?

Going forward They probably shouldn’t launch so soon. I think it’s reasonable to announce the name/theme title early but hang onto the prototype machine until it’s ready for launch like Stern. No pictures either until ready.

I know JJP wants to be a high end maker but part of the problem now is that people don’t feel the value is there anymore to warrant such a high price.

Maybe JJP needs to find a way to get costs under control without sacrificing quality and innovation, not sure?

If potc was priced 7500,8250,9500 based on the revised machine, buyers likely wouldn’t be jumping ship.

I know this isn’t going to happen however.

#1028 6 years ago

So many point out that the flyer mentions subject to change.I don’t think anyone disputes that however if they only replaced it with something that actually looked good. People most likely would live with it then an move on. Instead they chose some really shitty art.

I also think if JJP dug in and got that box to work, it would certainly help as well.

#1034 6 years ago

So let me get this straight

1 - no triple disk
2 - Shit replacement art and single disk
3 - trunk stuck open and partially obscures star chart
4 - rumored no ships sails as were once said would be added

What else am I missing?

#1054 6 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

If you mean the Twitch video, I'd like to see it with the disc art they will use, not a mock up that day.

Didn't Eric say in the same video it wouldn't obstruct the stars ?
LTG : )

He did say that around the 9:10 mark but a couple others have mentioned they think it still may be partially obscured.

Wait and see i guess and yes it would be nice to see the actual replacement art.
Hopefully it will be significantly better!

#1127 6 years ago

Nothing is final until they start shipping.

It would not surprise me if the cancelations are so high that they reverse course.

#1255 6 years ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

Hopefully, Toy Story will be a different outcome.

I hope they get the real voice callouts and music or it will be an absolute bust in my opinion. I’m not going to hold my breath on them paying for these assets because once again it’s disney and they couldn’t seem to pony up for Pirates so why would toy story be any different from a licensing perspective.

#1257 6 years ago
Quoted from oktobernv:

There is ZERO and I mean ZERO chance of this happening at this stage in the game.
No chance.

Zero chance of them getting these assets for toy story?

That is what I was refering to when I quoted the other posters comments on toy story.

#1266 6 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

The studios want there cash. A lot of High salaries for tons of people you wouldnt think deserve half a million a year. Oh, and Disney pixar has more vice presidents than the population of Austria.
Worried that Toy story will be cookie cutter of pirates in the asset depts.

If they can’t swing any kind of voice work, video content/animations or the real music then it shouldn’t be built into another half assed popular themed game.

I’m not saying they need to get it all but what is toy story without these things?

I’m hoping the rumors I heard earlier in the year about them doing a new GNR are true.

Back to Pirate talk now! Arghhh

#1267 6 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

These are not the kinds of things that should keep you up at night.
Perhaps JJP will be able to obtain the assets from the film, and get speech in there the way Stern did for Star Wars. Or maybe they'll get Tom Hanks at a hometown discount like how Williams convinced the biggest movie star on the planet to record speech for T2. Or maybe they'll hire Tom Hanks' brother (I love this!). Or maybe they won't do any of that stuff and you won't get any of it in the Toy Story game.
Either way...don't let it make your hair fall out. It's only pinball.

Kind of what I was thinking. If Stern was able to get access to the Star Wars video, music and voice content then it must be possible.

#1294 6 years ago

Anyone have any good insight on when they will actually start shipping?

I know they said summer but that can be anywhere from late May-Sept.

#1301 6 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

Isnt there a stream today of the game? Watch it today and you';ll see what the playfield looks like with the new disc. Perhaps they didn't make the final playfields yet.

What time is the stream this afternoon?

I know someone posted it in one of the 10 potc threads but can’t seem to find it now.

#1316 6 years ago

Variable speed and direction is cool with the spinner and new/revised apron art coming apparently.

I still like what I see overall and am hanging on to my pre-order.

#1336 6 years ago
Quoted from KingPinGames:

The symbols are mostly easily identifiable. The letters represent "map targets" or "pirate" lanes. Coin for the gold targets, ship for the black pearl, ect. Some of the fun will be figuring out what the rest of them are though.

They were easily recognizable in the stream because of a coding bug but they mentioned at least two times that they are going to be much more difficult to figure out so don't get used to them being easy.

#1340 6 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

What was the circle with the rectangle in it-gold? This pin has so much in it and they haven't even got to plundering or video mode

Is there definitely a video mode in it?

#1342 6 years ago
Quoted from ViperJelly:

I believe that will be Liar's Dice. Not added in yet. Still a lot to go into this game!

I wish they would code in a video clip for the maelstrom in worlds end with the epic ship battle.

Doesn’t need to do it every time but we need some ship battle action in the game!

#1345 6 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

Exactly and when you sink the ship with the canon they should show the clip of the ship blowing up.

That would be friggin sweet. you never know, I have a feeling there is a bit to be added yet.

There should definitely be some more immersion with the whole cannon and sinking ships. Seems kind of basic at the moment even though it is a very cool feature.

#1349 6 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

Maybe if we keep mentioning stuff like this they will see it and have a think about it. Like panzerfreak's wanted pictures

We can only hope, there have been many cool ideas mentioned.

The main memory of the maelstrom from the movies is the epic ship battle with them swirling around in the storm broadsiding one another.

There is plenty of footage to work with and not use any actors faces or content.

Man that would be awesome. Any kind of ship battle action would be welcomed!

#1352 6 years ago

The Star map is cool and I thought the same thing at one point, is the compass and map showing the same thing?

Maybe the map shows the exact shot if you can read it but the compass shows a general area to shoot at, good question.

#1355 6 years ago
Quoted from JimB:

They should have added some magnets to the spinning disc, not enough action from what I saw.

There were some moments were I saw some pretty erratic movement of the ball, did you watch the whole stream?

#1370 5 years ago
Quoted from brucipher:

Per this comment, it sounds like the star map will give alternate rewards...

From watching the video I get the impression the intent is to have both show what the most valuable shot is and the benefit of the star map I guess is you don’t need to look at apron.

If they are showing the same shot, how does it know if you used the chart or compass? Or does it even matter and will award points if correct shot is hit from either compass or map?

Pretty confusing how they explained the integration.

#1372 5 years ago
Quoted from saquapuss:

Hello,
I don’t like the low of new trunk in white, it seems not finished.
As well for the color of the map not fully in accordance with disk.
I hope it’s only for prototype !
If someone have information on this, thank a lot tu reassure me.
Daniel

Pretty sure they addressed the trunk color early on in video. It’s a prototype.

Apron art with the two trident guys is inspired from the art on back of black pearl and Eric said current apron art is prototype and will be different.

Disc was better but I believe they mentioned there were some art changes to be made as well. It was definitely improved from the initial picture.

#1397 5 years ago

On one hand I can appreciate them trying to have them machine 100% ready code wise but they are really dragging this out.

I’m ready to get mine! Hurry up! Lol

#1400 5 years ago

New apron art looks good. We got our ship battle!

Hopefully we get some maelstrom video battle action!

#1403 5 years ago
Quoted from wcbu64:

Where did you see the new apron art?

The stream from JJP today.

#1429 5 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

They finally put in a clip of a ship being blowen up - hooray !!! But it's for a special? and not for sinking a ship with a canon? Come on fellas sort this out.

I didn't notice this clip, where does it happen?

And yes, something needs to happen when you shoot the ship with a cannon. Not sure what but it is pretty blah at the moment. Cool toy needs more immersion!

And when you hit the maelstrom ramp there should be something from the maelstrom scene in movie. Without characters of course!

#1441 5 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Doubt it...well, maybe a little!
In any case, we all just want this game to be the best it can be. JJP is a company that seems to listen and react to its customers wants. Doesn’t hurt to try either way. Sometimes reading text can take on a different tone than speech. I think we all like the change in art, but prefer a color that doesn’t make the apron pop out from the rest of the game. If this is final it’s not the end of the world either.
My personal complaint about the game is the modes: none of them feel unique to me. There is 100+ modes but none that I’ve seen have any personality. Maybe that is present when playing the game in person? Hopefully, because at this point it seems to be just a stepping stone to the multiballs and not really unique experiences. Maybe the lack of video assets contribute to this feeling. In any case, I really like everything else about the game. Hope to play one in person soon!

Well said. All the multiballs and modes/chapters do feel the same and it has to be the video assets or the lack of assets that are specifically relevant to the movie/chapter you are playing. Not sure.

This game is very multiball heavy as well.

#1452 5 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I agree. The multiballs and modes all feel similar due to the lack of licensed assets such as film actor audio and film actor video. There are 100+ modes but they are not on the same level of say Hobbit book modes that feature video and audio clips (with the actors) along with the audio "stingers" that David Theil added that are played when shots are made within a book mode.
In POTC I can get a mode called "Hello Poppet" and I see a vague video clip at the start with no actors from the film. There's no way to relate the 5 second clip and the shots to what is happening in the movie scene that the mode is based on. Same goes with multiballs with them all feeling similar as there's nothing visually, beyond the multiball intro videos, to make them unique. Imagine LOTR mode and multiballs without any film actor audio, no DMD animations based on the film, and replace all of it with a single animation that represents the film. That game would be nowhere near as immersive in the themes world as the pin we know today.
With all of that being set I think the lack of actor audio and actor film video isn't a deal breaker for many, including myself, as the game has a lot of other things going for it. The ruleset that Keith Johnson and the team created is very engaging, Erics layout is a blast to shoot, David Thiels custom music / audio is excellent, and JP's animation work is once again the best in the industry. Combine all of that with some cool toys plus the character abilities and you have one hell of an amazing and fun pin.

Yeah I wasn’t knocking it. I’m buying either way but I hope something happens to capture the movie or chapters you are playing. It’s a great layout but just seems hollow or soulless at the moment. It all feels/looks the same regardless of what your doing currently and I don’t know if that will be good long term in the home.

Just pulled into the show at Allentown, gonna play me some Pirates! Shiver me timbers!

#1461 5 years ago

Finally got to play this today. Stood in line for an hour watching it so got to see quite a bit.
It’s going to be interesting to see how long these stay in people’s collections.

Talking to several people at the show, the impression I got is you either love it or hate it.

I think the code needs to be developed so there is a little more immersion to the theme as several mentioned earlier.
Even though no games can really ever be the same,the chapters and multiballs even though named differently and score differently all feel the same visually.

Music and callouts are good and it really is a nice looking machine.

I like it so keeping my order but it sure helps that I’m a fan of the franchise in general.

There are some clever and difficult shots with the layout and cool subway system so from a shooting perspective it is pretty good.

Something with the theming is just slightly off though in my opinion. I think it’s little things they can tweak without infringing in licensing issues so hopefully this evolves a bit more.

Just my 2 cents!

Quoted from NoQuarters:

A Pirate game should at least have 1 peg leg.

That would be cool as unique for sure

#1464 5 years ago
Quoted from txstargazer3:

I heard he works for peanuts.

He works for Rum... even drinks it out of his peg leg!

#1466 5 years ago
Quoted from wcbu64:

If they would just add the “Yo ho, yo ho . . . a pirate’s life for me” and a rum drinking multiball, it would be all good for me.

Stuff like this is what the game is lacking.... character/soul and the humor from the franchise.

#1471 5 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Yikes, we went from Yo ho to spinning disk and spun right back into the lack of DVD content.... They will never win with any direction.

It isn’t the dvd content but more how they are integrating it. They are still adding stuff so this may change a bit.

#1476 5 years ago

Let me ask this because maybe I’m missing something and I played and watched others for quite a while yesterday.

The multiballs all seem like the same thing except for the title stating the movies multiball. There doesn’t really seem to be anything unique or distinguishable going on where you can say, damn that at worlds end multi ball was crazy good and actually remember it.

What can be done to make these a little more immersive and memorable?

#1485 5 years ago
Quoted from Axl:

It would be great if the multiball start animation would be longer and more intense. Think Addams family.
If you already are in a multiball, you would get the short animations that are right now.
The animations are short, but looks great.

What start animation are you refering to? The one that has the title and cannons around it? Those are the only ones I really remember and are all pretty much the same. Gibbs calls out the name of multiball during this as well but nothing overly exciting really.

#1531 5 years ago
Quoted from bgwilly31:

I'd say a huge part of anyone that played it and don't like it was due to how broke it was. I waited to play it as well. The old triple disc worked better then the rocking ship. The rocking ship was broke to one side. Never shifted to the other side. So it made the upper pf useless and no fun. Then the treasure chest was unmakable. Which not only takes out dvey Jones locker MB. But also hurts on completing some of the chapters because the chest shot is a part of those. . .

Those were both working fine on Friday when I got my chance at it. Even managed to lock a few balls in the chest.

I’m hoping this machine doesn’t turn into a maintenance pig though with all these random things appearing to break so frequently. I think this is the second or third time I’ve heard of the ship not fully functioning.

#1532 5 years ago
Quoted from dnaman:

That is a prototype pin so it has the old chest and that is why they said that they have changed it, to make that shot doable as often as possible.
The disc, the same, as we are all aware.
Can't speak to the upper PF on their behalf but I haven't read anything that suggests changes from that version of the rocking mech. Maybe someone else can ring in. There has been quite a few that suggests that it be altered to be a 'smoother' rocking motion and others that would like to see it stop sometimes. Not sure how that would work as it would have to be triggered before the ball made it's way up there. Possible with the skill shot but not sure when made with the right ramp. (IE: the timing to sense the ball on the ramp and to start moving the ship - the ship would have to rock to the left first as to not dump the ball off of the right, right way. This could be why it just always rocks.(?))

I thought on JJP stream 8/9 one of the guys mentioned the possibility of the ship rocking speed becoming variable in the future where in certain chapters.

#1540 5 years ago
Quoted from KingBW:

Eric told me that it would rock at different roll angle and speeds with the production model, depending on what game mode or multiball it was in. Probably only a few modes would change the rocking motion.

That’s cool and changes it up a bit.

I do think I would like it it if the ship didn’t rock all the time though, gets kind of annoying. Maybe have it sitting level when static and have it tied to some sort of super spinner mode on the ship where you try to keep hammering away at the spinners to raise the sails or a pirate flag or something.
Or the scene where they are raising the net filled with rum and gun powder to try to kill the kraken. Hammer the spinners and make a certain shot which is sparrow firing the gun at the powder keg.

So many cool things that could be done

#1596 5 years ago

Announce next title for Xmas season - no pics and then couple weeks before Texas , show the pics and have some completed machines ready for play at show followed by immediate shipping. This would be a better rollout that would continue to build speculation of features and hype in the community all the way to shipping.

#1600 5 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

At least you've had 7 months of ups and downs and you still haven't even seen or played the final product. You might feel the same way after a month or two with IMDN. IMDN was announced, delivered and people got it. There was no build up and anticipation at least with pirates you've seen it grow and evolve.

It is too long of a wait.... there are several factors that compound this delay. First is removal of features frustrates potential buyers and other Mfg's have really stepped up their game and are cranking multiple titles out over this same timeframe. Most only have so much NIB pin money laying around so when the delays start racking up people get antsy and move on. At this point I'm thinking we may know sterns next title before these ship and that isn't good for JJP.

As for watching the buildup and growing of the game over 7 months, as with any product any negativity outweighs the good ten fold, and now it has festered with folks for months.

I really hope these start moving in June! I'm ready for it.

#1605 5 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

I know the upper playfield only has targets, 2 spinners , rocks side to side and a canon. Ripped off!

The features have not been removed, the trunk has been down graded and the spinning disc's with their awards will still be there in virtual form. Also I would rather wait for one great pin than have my choice of three average ones.

You know what I was implying, used the wrong word to make my point. I agree in principle on waiting for one great game but this delay due to the circumstances will no doubt hurt this title a bit.

I'll say it again, I'm keeping my order and like what I see however the feedback I saw at pinfest after standing in line for an hour and playing wasn't all rosy. I think it's going to be a love it/hate game and it will be mainly due to rule set and theme.

#1607 5 years ago
Quoted from DerGoetz:

That is very unfortunate, at least in my case.
Shipping with the large cutout and a filler ring would have allowed for you, at a later date, to have released a "black Pearl Edition" with the original but now fixed 3 ring setup.
The early Adopters could have then purchased the 3 Ring system at a preferred price and swapped it in within minutes and load the Black Pearl code.
I would have purchased in that case. As it is my POTCCE remains cancelled, which sucks for me.
You guys know what the market wants, why not offer it and make sales down the road?

I think there is about a 10% chance that we see a black pearl edition. CE's are widely available now. They are going to want to move on to the next title and if I had to guess, there will be more licensing costs from Disney to deal with which is likely a no-go at this point.

#1608 5 years ago

Kids were watching the at World's End movie last night and there are some epic ship battle scenes at the end of that movie with no actors shown. First starts with the black pearl and Dutchman entering the maelstrom and battling it out. We need some of this action in the game, can't see why they don't add this. Second is the ending where the Pearl and Dutchman double broadside the endeavor. The endeavor is the ship we get to blast in the ame with the cannon, I would like to see the dozens of cannons going off and splintering the shit out of the endeavor when the center hit is made.

Come on JJP, thow us true Pirate fans a bone!

#1612 5 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

That's a fair comment. It amazes me how many pinball "lovers" are hanging it on this pin when it's going to be one of the best and feature packed of all time.

Well, I can only think that in regard to the code it's a very complex game which is good for the home but not easy to learn for the casual player. I'm hoping they include some sort of guide to explain the game in depth, I'll never remember all the unique combos they explained for example.

When watching it being played at pinfest one of the complaints I heard from a few folks while I waited an hour for my turn was some ball times were excruciatinly long. Watching the streams you see short ball times but these guys were playing to get to wizard modes and taking the high risk shots. Casual players likely won't be doing this.

This is going to be an interesting game to follow post release, on one hand I predict top 10 status but at the same time won't be surprised to see it much lower. I personally take these ratings with a grain of salt but I do think it gives an idea of popularity of a game.

#1614 5 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

I think jjp are more suited for the home environment as they are so deep. I want a envolved and long playing pin, if I want to play a hard and fast pin I'll play fish tales. They're both great in their own ways.Just depends on what mood your in.

Any idea if they will include a rule/code guide? Some of the stuff these guys are explaining is pretty obscure and have no idea how you would learn these things without watching all the streams.

#1616 5 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

Agreed,.Also when you pick a character they tell you their benefits but I have not seen where they state their negatives like half scoring ect.

They can make it like a book of pirate code/guidelines

#1627 5 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

The real issue is JJP is moving at dinosaur speed for design and manufacturing, while the pinball industry giant is trotting away. Podcasters and enthusiasts covers pinball broadly and producing one pinball machine every 18 months equals three months of unbridled enthusiasm for your company and its latest product. If a competitor can release two or three or four games they are king.
One one hand, JJP's cycle is not sustainable. How could that model last? On the other hand, with more competitor companies in the pool, it feels like too much product is coming to market. Most are being offered at the high price$ for a toy. Some will fail and some will rise. In the end you can't out-hype hype, and a pinball machine stands on its own merits. JJP's insistence on getting their product right before release, is more important to me than the fact I can't get their titles sooner. When JJP's newest pinball starts at $9k, customers like to feel that their purchase will last.
JJP's cycle is disappointing and frustrating and many have expressed this. I liken it to listenening to C2C. Always enjoy hearing Nate's buttery voice talking pinball. But I only get a few episodes a year, so no sense complaining. POTC looks great and I hope to play one this year. If I like it, I may end up buying one next Summer. It's a snails pace I know, but my wits are not at worlds end, yet.

I think there is a fine line in waiting for it to be complete and taking forever to ship.

Too many other good games coming out and it just erodes sales, most people will only wait so long.

If we are still having this conversation come July, not good for JJP and they can’t keep doing this.

#1647 5 years ago

Why is there no reference to Rum anywhere in the game? We are talking Pirates aren't we?

#1649 5 years ago
Quoted from flashinstinct:

Because the rum is all gone

Lol!

#1651 5 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Eric mentioned this in a past stream. Disney said no references to alcohol could be made in the game...Eric thought or told Disney "Have you seen these movies"? What a stupid licensing restriction by Disney considering that all 5 films have at least a few references to rum in them. Same thing applied to guns and that's why the spinning pirate toy is holding a sword versus a gun.

That has got to be one of the most ridiculous things I've heard. This is a 10k adult item and the Pirates movies are loaded with weapons of all kinds from swords to cannons and lots of rum references and wenches. These are Pirates not Saints!

Their so called family ride at Disney is loaded with all of these things as well, talk about hypocrites!

#1655 5 years ago
Quoted from pinball_keefer:

You can have Rum BOTTLES, but no rum actually IN the bottles. That's why Tortuga MB features empty bottles everywhere.
Believe me guys, we know these movies and are huge fans of them. We seriously tried our best to get what we could into them. It sounds kind of silly to say we are pushing the limits, but...

There is so much stuff going on that I never even noticed the bottles during tortuga mb. Lol

Kind of sad that Disney is so restrictive.

Keep up the good work, game looks great so far!

#1660 5 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

That's great to hear! Some more callouts specific to each chapter mode and multiball would be nice to hear. Without the actor audio and video the modes and multiballs feel pretty similar in my opinion. Having Gibbs callouts that would tell the player what is going on in the movie scene as shots are made would add a lot to the game in my opinion.
For example during the rescue Elizabeth mode it would be cool to hear Gibbs say "Shoot the right orbit to save Elizabeth". Stuff like that.

I really hope something changes to differentiate the multiballs because other than the text that shows up in the display and Gibbs saying the name of the multiball, they all feel the same.

They need to show something unique to each on the display that makes you remember that multiball.

This is probably my only beef at this point. Game looks good otherwise.

#1677 5 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

I still think the apron art looks too bright. I would have gone with something like this .just an option.

Shit that would be awesome. That second pic is pretty much the scene I want to see tied into the maelstrom ramp for worlds end. No actor shots necessary, ship battle as the memorable multiball and lots of cannons going off.

JJP people you hear us? Lol

#1678 5 years ago

These pics got me wondering if there are any licensed side blades in the works?

#1680 5 years ago

^^ pics of apron art imagine if the black and white decal was transferred to a triangular plastic sitting on a cutout in the apron. Further imagine flashers underneath that are triggered during Maelstrom mb. Two ships being sucked in could be on right plastic and be lit with a light tied to gi's and would remain on. Wowza!
On another topic, why can't JJP pay voice impersonators for some additional callouts that represent more characters? Would be ideal to have three each from all 22 characters, and this could inject some much needed humor. If POTC is to be a classic pin for all time, this would be a minimum step they could do to register a positive impact on the game's atmosphere and mood. How about it JJP, can you add more character callout impersonations, for the good of POTC?

This would be a good if it is possible. Have to say, the last two weekends there have been several POTC movies on tv and I watched parts of them with the kids. It definitely confirms my thoughts about the clips they have used to date.
There is plenty of footage without infringing on the actors yet they aren’t using the content. Why is this?

#1699 5 years ago

Stream this week? Anything new to see?

#1707 5 years ago

For those who were waiting, the video of the May 16 stream is up on youtube now...
» YouTube video

Any word on when we may see a glimpse of the LE topper?

#1710 5 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

The JJP website looks to have posted updated pics of games including one with the LE topper! Looks pretty cool.

That does look good and appears to be a bit of an upgrade over the laser cut stuff we’ve seen previously.

#1717 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

It looks like a laser cut piece of plastic, with art printed on it, that repeats the art and text directly under it already. I'm not saying it looks bad (the repeating part isn't great though honestly), I just don't understand your comment, how is it an upgrade over all the other ones that are laser cut plastic with art printed on them?
We're talking about this right? Put it over black so you can see the laser cut outline.

That is a better picture that you posted and I do agree with your comment about repeating what is directly under it on the back glass, why do that?

When I say it appears better, I don't recall the other laser cut toppers having much color or detail to them. Maybe my memory of this isn't great as I haven't seen many in person.

#1721 5 years ago
Quoted from heni1977:

Maybe when its all lite up it looks like real flames? It is deff cheesy to be having the same thing above but in reverse order. A laser cut light up black pearl would be nicer!!!! I am still getting my LE! Maybe I can sell the topper to recoup some cash!

I thought for sure it was going to be a black pearl. There is already a better after market version of this available from the stern machine.

IMG_3084 (resized).JPGIMG_3084 (resized).JPG

#1723 5 years ago
Quoted from heni1977:

And what ever happened to the side art protectors at the flippers. I guess that will have be mylared when I install lighted flipper buttons!!!!

I can't understand why these protectors are not standard for premium/Le/CE/machines.

#1725 5 years ago
Quoted from heni1977:

Holy moley! That smacks the s&*^ out of the one from jjp!!!!

sure does and a hell of a lot cheaper!

#1729 5 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

I thought the topper was a tilty ship in a bottle?

On the CE only which in my opinion should have a Flying Dutchman topper since that is the theme of the machine, Davey Jones.

The LE should have the Black pearl since it is more of jack sparrow themed with black armor.

Just my opinion

This plastic one would maybe look ok on the std! I'm being generous by saying that

#1733 5 years ago

NO stream?

#1735 5 years ago

Damn... logged in at 4:05 and said channel offline. Will this be available tonight to watch from beginning?

#1753 5 years ago

For the amount of money I was expecting a little more out of the topper and was hoping since they changed the disc and chest that maybe we would have gotten something a little better.

Makes no sense to simply repeat what is directly below it.

#1761 5 years ago

Maybe I’ll stick some bottles of rum up there!☠️

#1790 5 years ago
Quoted from Zavadoza:

Remind her of that next time she wants you to take her to Disney World.
The collectors edition doesn’t have Johnny depp in it at all. So you’re totally good there.

Was going to suggest the same thing about the CE.

#1803 5 years ago
Quoted from dnaman:

I would love to see something as well but honestly, this stuff can wait and even the code is so far along that we can update it after we get our pins.
Now that the disc, map awards and chest have been figured out the only concern that I have is with the playfield. That is, how long will it take to make and clear coat these? And the most important question, IMO, how much time is needed for them to cure properly? I would gladly wait longer knowing that this needs to be done to reduce or eliminate potential issues with the PF.
While on this topic, I wanted to comment on the posts all over Pinside where people have said that all playfields dimple and you just can't tell on a pin that has been really heavily played because the whole playfield has just dimpled 'evenly'. What a complete load of crap! (Didn't SR make this claim or did he just say that all playfields dimple?)
Now matter how many dimples a PF takes on it will never look nice and smooth. That and you would easily notice the 'edge', and an uneven one at that, where the ball can't actually reach, IE: alongside posts, rubbers etc... I welcome anyone to show me different.

I’ve seen two different potc machines so far and they both had dimpling. I didn’t think it was excessive but it was definitely there if you were looking for it.

#1804 5 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

Just watched the latest stream man there's alot to take in. I would like to see pirates come with a large playfield poster map (hopefully laminated) with the 5 movie qualifying shots and the 12 combo treasure shots , star map symbols and whatever else they can fit in.

I agree and don’t think it’s too much to ask for a shot map or simple rules guide. If they want to make games this complicated and deep they should expect to produce game instructions.

There is just so much to do and different ways to qualify things along with all the unique combo shots.

Just don’t see how the average person would ever figure any of this stuff out to get the most out of their game.

#1810 5 years ago

Any chance these ship in June?

Would be nice to have for part of the summer!

#1813 5 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

Once these ship what will we have to talk about.

Our success playing the game or lack of!

#1829 5 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

I think the cab artwork is boring. I am not a fan of people's faces as the cabinet art. I hate it. But some ships and sea with mountains or something.

You make a good point. Didn’t really give the cabinet art a ton of thought but your right, there are 22 character faces on the PF. Did they really need more on the cabinet?

Sterns cabinet art for POTC is perfect in my opinion and JJP should have done something similar but better.

#1842 5 years ago
Quoted from musketd:

So when do they plan to start shipping these then I still can’t belive that the game now has stripped features and they are still charging 500$ more.

I wouldn’t say they stripped them as there is still a disc and a digital triple disc on display, chest is still there too.

#1853 5 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Man, this statement is cringeworthy...as if a passive animated display is some kind of big deal. Newsflash: Mystery awards indicated on displays is getting close to 40 year old tech. Just because they put animation on the face of it doesn't make it any more impressive than 85% of the bargain PC software that came out of a bin in Best Buy or CompUSA in the mid to late ninetys.
Last I checked we were still trying to buy pinball machines here, not vidya' games.

Don’t think I was touting it as great or a bonus... just making a simple broader point in response to another post implying the game was stripped down and no disc.

And your right we are buying pinball machines not toys. if you want toys go to your local toy store or Walmart and knock your socks off. Sick of people bitching about plastic toys or the lack of.

#1856 5 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

N'eh? Not sure what that had to do with me but sure..okay. I can't disagree. MOAR MECHS AND MAGNETS is all I'm saying. I would've rather had some magnets in there than the plain spinning disc. Removing a mech that actually does something isn't suitable for replacement on a video screen, it's an admission of defeat or time limitations. I just don't think JJP should get credit for keeping a feature by putting it in software, when the whole thing that made it innovative in the first place was that it was going to be in hardware AND do something interesting by interacting with the ball as well.

Yeah I hear you and agree more mechs are good in pinball. I have to say the thing that really is annoying me although minor in the grand scheme of things is that they can't get the treasure chest to work as intended.

#1876 5 years ago

JJP live showing offline yet, anyone else seeing the stream?

#1882 5 years ago

I really hope this hits production line soon, kind of bugs me hat they totally avoid the question.

If they miss mid summer production that will be a big fail in my opinion.

#1886 5 years ago
Quoted from solarvalue:

There's probably not much to say at this point. I imagine they are waiting for all the parts to come in. When they have all arrived they will start building but it may be very difficult to say when that will be due to the number of parts and vendors involved.

They know if the target date is going to be met or not.

I get a sense listening to what needs to be done yet that we aren’t as close to production as many think.

I sure hope I’m proven wrong as I want this like right now!

#1892 5 years ago
Quoted from Ns2973:

They didnt have time to get it right so they cut them.

It’s only been 8 months since announcement and likely a bit longer when you include the development time leading into expo.

#1899 5 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

Watching the stream, Eric sunk the ship and it was a non event they need to show a quick clip of a ship blowing up.

Agree, if your lucky enough to pull that shot off and sink the ship something should happen on the video display.

I also still think it would be cool when you hit the maelstrom ramp and go in the hole to start worlds end multi ball that they should put the short clip of the Pearl and Dutchman entering and blasting each other. No actors are shown when this happens.

#1903 5 years ago
Quoted from Charliew65:

how many times are you going to post this? im sure its has been at least once a page. Good idea, i wish i could say im JJ and I can hear you.

I’m going to post it as much as I want just like all the bullshit stuff others post on pinside over and over. Maybe I should add a poll? Sorry it bothers you.

#1908 5 years ago
Quoted from dnaman:

Is this a scene from any of the movies?

Liars dice I think was first scene in the at worlds end movie but if was more of a card games call your bluff type thing.

#1911 5 years ago

Liar's dice is a game using dice, not cards. See shaker of dice in Squidman's hook.

Your right - I don't know why I said cards.

#1918 5 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

Forgot Disney said no guns no rum no fun.

Hard to make a real pirate game without any of these.

I think they could get away with the cannon shooting ships mode since they do have cannons in game.

Doesn’t the Singapore chapter scene show guns on a table or did I not see it correctly?

#1921 5 years ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

But think how simple it will be to make a fake pirate game.
Behind every cloud......

Agree 100% and I have said from the beginning that an original pirate theme from JJP would have been far better than another POTC.

#1933 5 years ago

WAs there a stream today?

#1935 5 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Yes. 3pm central daylight time. Best check every Wednesday just in case.

I was busy all day and missed it.

Anything exciting or have a link to it?

Thread has been kind of quiet lately.

#1939 5 years ago

I want a JJP pirate shirt, do we get one with our purchase or can we buy them?

#1945 5 years ago
Quoted from dnaman:

What about a Jerry Seinfeld pirate shirt?

Shit for 10k the least they could do is throw in a $15 t-shirt for our patience and willingness to accept the single disc. Lol

#1965 5 years ago
Quoted from AFM95:

I'm not patient and hate the single disc, yet I got one...

Through distributor? I emailed mine, looking into it.

#1972 5 years ago
Quoted from KingBW:

More
Thanks, that's nice - we're just some pinball industry fans and admitted pinball addicts. It's good that I have a wife that shares this interest ... or is it?
Where's the Colorado show JJP investigative reporting? What's the word on JJPOTC production? Did the little birds stop talking? Was Eric sighted there? We need visual reports of smoke signals, Waldo sightings, and cartwheel practice session updates. Any word on if JJP is going to have their annual NJ factory site pinball show this summer? Anything about the schedule for the Level 257 JJPOTC launch party? No one "important" in management was at 257 that I could pry for info from them.

If we don't hear something soon I think we can forget about August

#1981 5 years ago

What has been the longest time from announcement to production for a new pinball machine? This wait is getting agonizing! Lol

#1985 5 years ago

Does Aliens count?

Quoted from Yelobird:

Does The Big Lebowski count.... My guess is BBB from Gene is the runner for longest Actually completed announcement.

I would say these two don't count since they are failing businesses and haven't built many machines.

Didn't post the question as a knock on JJP but shit, it's mid June already and as of the last stream there were still wizard,video modes to be coded as well as more call outs to be done with Gibbs and I'm sure more. October 2018 will be fast upon us!☠️

#1988 5 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

I reckon they would want ship it with the video mode in the game

Did I hear them say something about cannon shooting ship getting more choreography or were my ears hearing incorrectly?

#1990 5 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

Was that in today's stream?

Yeah, thought I heard them say something about it but I was multi tasking and wasn’t watching/listening real closely.

#2001 5 years ago

Was there another stream today?

They mentioned having another on Friday.

#2019 5 years ago

Geez several weeks isn’t what I would consider soon. Several weeks could be 2-3 months in reality.

If this is the case major bummer. Was really thinking it would happen in July.

#2024 5 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Rule flowchart released!

Damn... maybe it will be here before August after all!

#2042 5 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I wonder what other uses the ship toy will have besides starting Black Pearl MB? The ship is the games biggest feature and is a very interactive toy. I hope that there are other uses for it beyond starting Black Pearl MB.
Personally I hope there's an option to regularly fight ships using the upper playfield that get progressively more difficult as you beat them. With the right ramp always feeding the ship toy there needs to be other incentive to stay up there beyond reaching Black Pearl MB in my opinion.

Last week I think they said there would be more choreography added to the ship cannon. Didn't watch all of yesterdays stream but I'm guessing we may see something on the display that coincides with firing and missing/hitting ship.

#2067 5 years ago

Anyone else getting the feeling that POTC hype is rapidly running out of steam?

I’m almost to the point of zero excitement and I really really do want this machine.

#2078 5 years ago

Well tomorrow is July 1 and still no word on when production starts.

Me thinks August is now not likely, hope I’m wrong!

#2095 5 years ago

Sound of crickets......

#2102 5 years ago
Quoted from Outlanes:

Well there hasn't been any streams lately, maybe that's a good sign.

I'm starting to wonder if the opposite is true, has some sort of new issue popped up that we haven't seen anything for 2 weeks?

#2110 5 years ago

They should know by now when this is shipping, if they truly don’t hen hat means there is some sort of issue that they don’t have figured out yet.

If this thing is delayed anymore I think I’m out and money will be going to Chicago Gaming for one of the remakes.

Trying to remain patient but very frustrating to say the least.

#2115 5 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

OR, they learned their lesson about setting dates and expectations and making them public! We can only guess but I suspect tooling a complete line from one model to the next along with training of Every employee takes time and patience. They want to make this right and they are in no rush to gamble on this execution. So looking forward to landing this game with or without the original expectations met.

If it hasn’t already been 9 months and 100 streams of the game I would agree with you.

I’m not bashing JJP or the game but when there is an extended unexpected delay(if there even is one) they should just say it. Don’t need to set a date, just simply say it’s officially delayed.

Like another post mention, silence usually isn’t a good sign.

#2118 5 years ago
Quoted from JY64:

I think 3 months ago the spinning disk was an issue now I think the biggest issue is the time an oct 2017 unveiling is too long a wait

Agreed 100%

Everyone was saying Butch recently said August, well we are entering second week of July. If they haven’t begun building production machines, August and Sept are likely out the window for shipping.

It’s kind of like the Stern Star Wars topper that has been delayed with the exception that Stern has been somewhat transparent of late regarding what is causing the delay.

Transparency and communication are worth their weight in gold!

#2120 5 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

I would prefer to wait however long it takes to have it working 99 % rather than have them rush it and have problems down the track.

The point is sort of getting lost here.

Nobody said to ship a product that isn’t ready but if there is a lengthy delay past August they should give the courtesy to their customers and let them know.

Really don’t even need to give a date, just state the obvious.

I’ve been onboard since the beginning but my interest is starting to wane and I can’t be the only one feeling this way.

#2123 5 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

Get a hobbit then with the new code and then get pirates when it's out..

My plan B if this festers past oct/nov is to get a MMR.

My hesitation in picking something up in the meantime is the fact that it is an absolute bitch getting machines in and out of my basement. More so getting them out.

Makes me tend not to flip machines often!

#2135 5 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

I hope JJP says nothing about their next game until it is ready to ship.
It's crazy marketing to miss out on the hype train.
The hype train on this game has long gone.

This compounded with the mechanical changes really has created some bad mojo with this one. Still a great machine no doubt though.

Going forward, I think they can safely announce what the next title will be but shouldn't reveal the actual machine and design until it's 100% locked in with the mechanicals and ready to go to production.

Allows development of hype for a theme without setting any expectations for PF layout and mechanicals.

#2143 5 years ago
Quoted from SilverBallz:

You pay for the quality in the high price. And they still have just as many issues as stern. Just different issues but major issues like lightning on WOZ, Stuck balls on TH making it unplayable on location and many more. And delayed code too. All the companies have all the same issues just other companies are producing many more titles which translates to many more talked about issues.

Exactly!

So what's the consensus on 2+ weeks of silence after weekly streams for the past several months? Is it in production or are they having more issues?

Not asking for them to speed anything up a status update wouldn't be bad!

#2168 5 years ago
Quoted from trilamb:

To show people the latest code and demonstrate the game? I enjoy their streams and have no plans in buying a Pirates, but I like to see how the game is improving and enjoy watching the game designers play their own games.

For all intents and purposes there hasn’t been anything all that exciting with code changed or added in months.

Ship is starting to sail on my order if it doesn’t hit production soon.

#2203 5 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

Just watched the latest stream and when you choose what award you want there is "start hurry up "what's that, and why would they make the hole in the ship smaller it's only been hit a hand full of times in all the streams and still waiting for a clip or animation to go with sinking a ship. Changing the ramps- I like the frosted look but would prefer metal maybe there's something behind them you need to see so that's why they're going clear.

I asked during stream about animations with ship cannon and they responded with they are considering adding that.

#2207 5 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I sure hope some animations for firing the canon and hitting / destroying a ship are added. Right now the process of firing and shooting ships feels like its lacking a bit of fanfare.
Examples of what could be added.
1. Shooting the canon itself results in a quick canon ball animation going across the screen from right to left matching the direction of the ball as its fired towards the Dauntless. The front of the canon (side view) as an animation could even appear on the LCD once the ball is in canon and rock slightly back and forth matching the movement of the ship.
2. Hitting a ship results in the entire LCD having a glass cracking effect or perhaps the LCD screen changes to that of a ship haul and you see that cracking
3. Destroying the ship see's a clip play from the film of the ship sinking (or animation) along with lightshow

The direct hit in the hole should have option 3 shown. There is some incredible footage in the movie of the dauntless getting broadsided and plenty where no actors or voices shown/heard. Just cannons firing with explosions and parts flying!

#2213 5 years ago

How about ships shooting cannon balls get those scenes after you score 1 hit, but the ship blowing up when you hit a bullseye and sink the dauntless with 3 hits?

Now that is what I’m talking about... would be perfection! Might even need a short ball hold to enjoy that a bit.

#2229 5 years ago

Man, I saw all this activity here today and I for sure thought there was an announcement regarding production.

I should have known better!

Soon... that could be days, couple weeks or couple months! All depends on how you define soon, lol.

#2232 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinphila:

At this point, they need a twitch stream of them actually building this game.

Yep - good idea!

#2239 5 years ago

So what’s the word with today’s stream?

Same old shit or something worth seeing?

#2265 5 years ago

Finally!

So how long until these start hitting the distributors?

#2272 5 years ago

Anyone with the JJPotc on order also have the stern? If so, you keeping both? Trying to decide if it's a wise use of space to have two POTCs in the collection. Im a big fan but limited on space, tough decision.☠️

#2298 5 years ago
Quoted from musketd:

So in other words nothing was added to the actual game itself? As far as toys or anything to replace them?

Toys? Come on, go to toys r us or target or something. Plenty of shit to enjoy with this machine.

#2318 5 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

I assumed just the lead up ramps were going to be clear but the whole Maelstrom bowl is clear like creature and white water.I wonder if liars dice video mode will be ready when they ship or if that will come in a later update.

Is it me or do the side walls of ramp only look clear and the ramp surface and bowl look frosted?

I forgot about the liars dice mode, hope they got it done. In the last stream Eric mentions polish and visual enhancements were added and see if we notice but nothing stood out from previous.

I also hope they added the animation on display for firing cannon at ship like they mentioned they were discussing.

#2320 5 years ago

I have one wish for JJP. Be that LEGENDARY pinball company where EVERY game made is SPECTACULAR, has the BEST rules/software/coding possible and incorporates new technology and TOYS.
(have been enjoying recent attention given to TH code and the changes. Three requested rule changes and final punch list are the only things keeping TH from self launching into deep space imo. I'd nominate TH for Most Improved Game category in the 2018 TWIPPY's

I’m not ready to give TH a trophy for that yet.
Let’s see what Stern does with the pending GB and AS code updates, will likely reinvigorate these titles.

#2332 5 years ago
Quoted from frankmac:

Some ramp pics.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Is the first pic of maelstrom ramp the new production version?

#2335 5 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

What do people think of the sky blue side rails , are they for the LE or Standard version.

Funny! Lol

#2337 5 years ago
Quoted from frankmac:

Prototype pic.

The chest looks broken/crooked

#2342 5 years ago

anyone have any idea if JJP will sell side art blades for POTC? Have they done that with their other titles?

#2382 5 years ago

If they are cranking 10+ machines out a day then these ought to be hitting the distributors really soon.

#2385 5 years ago
Quoted from KingBW:

I was at Replay Fx and did not catch up on this thread for all of the cliffy concerns, but I didn't notice either way. We were oo-ing and awe-ing and commenting back and forth on some of the differences between the prototype pin and this one. That topic did not come up in conversations

Jack said that he was hoping for 13-15 games per day. Right now they were doing time studies on all of the workstations to find where the possible bottle-necks will be on the line and adjust for that. The one game completed was so that they could run one through all the assembly stations and also so that Eric and JJP could see any part fit issues and to make sure that all productions parts will function correctly. They are working out all of the production line details before going full out on the line. Plenty of parts, cabinets, etc are stacking up and waiting to turn that assembly line switch on. It's ready! They moved the DI assembly over to the second mini-assembly line and were training people on that while we were there too. I wouldn't expect cartwheels (shipping) this week, best case next week, likely a couple of weeks is my personal guess.

Jack said that the game we were playing was not the game labeled as #1 as that was still on the line. This one was for testing the production parts and for any fit issues. He didn't say who gets the pin with the #1 on it.
From earlier questions, the maelstrom ramp is like a bluish frosted color - think of a blue margarita kind of color. It was probably just a fluke with my shot, but it was kind of funny because my ball went around that maelstrom shoot maybe 10-15 times before it finally dropped - was really cool. Guessing that is abnormal.
The production game is much better than the prototypes in our opinion. The trunk lock worked every time (and looked better), the star field and ship looked better, the software was of course better. We saw the triple disk on screen and that was cool. Initially I was disappointed when they announced changing the triple disk to the single, but actually the single disk plays better. Neither one effects the ball travel with a fast shot over it, but the single disk moves a slower traveling ball more than the triple disks. With the triple disks, the ball spends very little time on the surface of each ring. With this single disk, a slower ball can and does change direction similar to the DI magnets on low. In the JJP streams, those are super great tournament players and the ball is most always flying around. It will effect us mediocre players game play more. The color shade of the disk isn't all that bad (or ugly) in-person. Overall, we really love it more than ever. People will have different opinions, so try it for yourself when the production pins are out in the wild. We love it more now than ever. Yes, we will get one - seeing and playing this version of the game sealed the deal.
We had Jack cracking up at one point. The glass was off and when my wife was playing, the ball went down the side and was about to drain, but she quickly grabbed the ball and put it into the plunger lane and said "ball save, ... I need more time on that ball." She got to sink the ship after that for her first time, so it was well worth that "cheat" to see her shout "I got it!" and jump up and down with her hands still on the flippers. A very, very memorable overall experience.

When she sunk ship on the production machine was there any visuals added to the display to indicate what you actually did?
They were apparently discussing adding something in one of the last streams. Happens so quick and if your not paying attention you miss it.

#2388 5 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

I'm guessing there wasn't. If it's done right you shouldn't be able to miss it that's the whole point , at the moment it's so uneventful if you do sink a ship.

Didn’t really think about it but your right. If he didn’t notice anything the likely not added. It’s so hard to accomplish the big hit that something should happen if your successful.

#2417 5 years ago
Quoted from wcbu64:

. . . or Batman 66 without the Batman theme song. JJP’s website does show the game with the tag line “Pirates Life for You” so hoping the song makes it in there eventually maybe as part of attract mode or something. That shouldn’t interfere with any of the awesome work that David has done with the rest of the music.

You hit the nail on the head. Exactly what I was thinking attract mode and definitely game over song from the top.i don’t even remember hearing a game over song and if there is, not memorable so this would be the ultimate!

#2418 5 years ago

Just got to the OBX for our family vacation and am enjoying some Blackbeard’s Booty thinking about POTC!

Anyone going to be a Flippers in Currituck this week?

0C4E9D1D-5EF9-4F8B-97BD-94B353EEB833 (resized).jpeg0C4E9D1D-5EF9-4F8B-97BD-94B353EEB833 (resized).jpeg
#2424 5 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

Joe got special and they showed the ship being blowing up footage .I know I've said it before but I still think that should be used for the cannon shot.

I asked specifically during one of the streams and Eric said they were actually discussing adding something for this.

So I would say it is more than rumor we will get something for blowing up the ship.

There are other scenes available through the series that can be used. Wouldn’t want the same as the special award.

Anything here would be better than nothing, she be an exciting event from the main toy! Should be choreographed with the sound of cannons firing and explosions if a hit is made.

Not sure there is even any sounds when this happens.

#2425 5 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

Just watched the latest stream and I could be wrong but the disc looks like it might have issues because I didn't see it spin once in almost an hour of gameplay.

Interesting - I watched twice and can’t even recall.

Now I have to watch a third time! Lol

#2428 5 years ago
Quoted from evh347:

That was me doing the asking....Eric said there would be more about that coming on the next stream.

I think Keith mentioned on the stream it’s coming

#2444 5 years ago

Got my invoice yesterday for payment so hopefully any day now!

I’m excited!☠️

#2449 5 years ago

They should be required to have a few Dark n Stormys first before doing cartwheels - pirate style!☠️

#2451 5 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

Good to hear but no sign of the CE's the wait continues.. has anyone got any close up pictures of the Playfield with the clear ramps and the other little tweaks

I do agree at this point since many of us are now paying, it would be nice to see detailed pics of the final product.

Some eye candy never hurts!

#2453 5 years ago

Anything new in today’s stream?

Link available yet?

#2485 5 years ago

Any pics of production maelstrom ramp yet?

#2487 5 years ago
Quoted from KingBW:

Maybe you can zoom in better on the photo that Jack took of my wife & I playing. More clear on top, more frosted blue in the cone.[quoted image][quoted image]

Looks good, I was curious what part was more clear.

Thx for the pic!

#2493 5 years ago

Any word on when these are actually going to ship?

They have to have quite a few built at this point since it’s been 2 weeks since they announced production.

#2498 5 years ago

That was pretty darn funny!

#2500 5 years ago
Quoted from dnaman:

Awesome, so stoked!
Who would know if that is a full trailer of POTCs?
No word on what they are able to build per day etc...

I hope it was a full truck load!

They had to have 30 or more cabinets sitting there 2 weeks ago when the first pictures from factory were shown.

#2527 5 years ago

Your killing me..it’s beautiful.. closeups?

#2564 5 years ago
Quoted from cjmjmm2006:

Thanks for sharing that. Cool to see the differences.

You notice anything different with the video content or music?

I kind of got the impression that there were some hidden surprises to be found in the game when the first machines were unboxed.

#2584 5 years ago

I know this is just personal preference and subjective but the CE just doesn’t look as sharp as the LE.

The topper on the other hand may be the best ever made!

#2604 5 years ago

I think Eric or Keith said in the last stream that the boat is coded for random speeds and movement based on how well your playing at where your at in game.

#2609 5 years ago
Quoted from romulusx:

I’m I missing something,or is there a reason why upper playfield has to continually be moving?

Good point and I agree it does run an awful lot and I’m not sure it really needs to.

#2614 5 years ago

Anyone else have one delivered yet? I'm surprised only one has made an appearance on pinside so far.

#2617 5 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Every one I've seen does this.

This was asked during the last 2+ hours stream and the response from Eric/Keith was it DOES have full movement and speed is random depending on how your playing and character selection as mentioned before.

So unless something has changed I would expect full movement. Camera angle has an impact on the visuals as well. At one point several thought the lanterns were removed from ship but they were still there. Again, all because of camera angle.

If it really doesn't go left at all that is kind of odd in my opinion. Not very boat like.

#2622 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballj:

I thought he said awhile ago that the ship sways less when you put "Wind in the sails" aka shooting the spinners more on the ship, the less it sways back and forth. I may be mistaken though.

Yeah I kind of remember hearing something like this but I did watch a million videos so can’t be certain.

#2627 5 years ago

Back to crickets again...time to start pumping these sob’s out already!

How many they building per week and do they ship weekly?

#2638 5 years ago

JJP Live going... live again today at 3PM CDT. We'll be streaming a brand-new-off-the-line game!

Any new surprises worth tuning in for?

#2639 5 years ago

Finally video for blowing ship up! Awesome

#2655 5 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I just noticed that the intro chapter video clips are missing as well What happened? Why are they gone? When the star map area is now hit to start a chapter the little canons representing each chapter at the top of the LCD screen trigger and then the mode starts with no chapter animation.
On another note the production game looks to play super smooth and fast!

I wonder if this is a setting perhaps? Can't imagine why they would remove all the video for chapters unless they are going to change some of them. Makes no sense.

#2657 5 years ago

Cool thing about the video they added was there are different videos for the various levels of damage.

#2663 5 years ago

How do you abort chapter starts?

Or is this a software thing? Hoping the chapters scenes come back!

#2667 5 years ago
Quoted from Hogbog:

Hey guys, I think you're reading too much into the chapter aborts. Sorry we didn't clarify earlier.
Like in most games, if there is a cut scene, multiball intro, bonus screen, etc, you can skip it by hitting both flipper buttons. We added that feature to the chapter cut scenes recently. They are absolutely still in the game! We just happen to do it a lot because we're impatient pinball players, so it looked like it happened nearly every time we started a chapter.
Thanks,
E

Cool - that’s what I was thinking.

#2669 5 years ago

On the high score pages I see a reference to Locker escapes. I'm assuming this is something in reference to Davey Jones Locker but haven't seen this in the stream videos before. Any ideas?

#2673 5 years ago
Quoted from Outlanes:

I'm pretty sure it's the right outlane save.

Ah.... forgot about the save to the shooter lane. Didn’t realize it had a name and a score that is tracked.

Pretty cool

#2674 5 years ago

Is Davey Jones character coded in yet?

Couple streams ago he was there but they said he didn’t have any powers or code yet.

#2679 5 years ago

Davey Jones I believe is selectable in the game now but not sure what his scoring or powers are. Liars Dice may or may not apply to more than just Davey Jones, kind of got the impression it is a video mode of some kind.

#2680 5 years ago
Quoted from dnaman:

I just want my pin. They can take their time coding
Yes, I realize that these are two different departments, just looking forward to getting my pin.

I hear ya... I want my pin already, feels like I've been waiting years!

#2688 5 years ago
Quoted from Charliew65:

Was there only one game in that truck?

Yeah no shit!

That 53 foot trailer should have been full. One unboxing on pinside in 8 days, kind of crazy.

#2690 5 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Not everybody is on Pinside or posts here.
More on Facebook.
More coming soon.

I don’t do Facebook.

#2695 5 years ago
Quoted from Axl:

Maybe the spinners should have sail decals on them?

Or maybe as your hammering away on the spinners there should be some video of sails or pirate flags being hoisted like in at worlds end movie where they all hoist their colors.

#2714 5 years ago

Have any home users received their machines yet or are they strictly going to operators only at this point?

#2721 5 years ago

Any update on shipments this week?

#2726 5 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

Any homeowners?

I was wondering the same thing.

#2728 5 years ago
Quoted from jcoble:

I was a day one order, and I've been told it won't be this week.

What distributor?

#2731 5 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

Doesn't matter if u are paid in full. Homeowners are later.

So there haven’t been any non -commercial deliveries yet?

#2733 5 years ago

How much longer are we looking at waiting do you think?

I’m a bit surprised at how slow their process is.

#2735 5 years ago
Quoted from dnaman:

Me too. I do hope that we're talking one to two weeks before someone gets one for home.
I suppose that after that, it depends on how JJP fans them out to distribution. Not sure if they try to make it fair across the board or if there are a handful of preferred resellers that see more than others. It could also be based on who might commit to a pre-order quantity. Who really knows?!

Someone said there is a big shipment this week that is supposed to happen.

Let’s hope it’s for the home customers!

#2747 5 years ago

Any news?

Can't believe how slow this process is, was really hoping to have mine for the Labor Day weekend. So much for that!

#2750 5 years ago
Quoted from dnaman:

Odd, to me as well. No FB or Pinside updates, not evens from the line.

JJP posted some pics on FB apparently of these things showing up at a few places.

I’m just really surprised that given how many were pictured assembled back on 8/2 and some random factory photos since showing many made that there haven’t been any going to distributors yet.

They have to be making 20+ a week at this point one would think.

#2751 5 years ago

You guys have seen pictures of that playfield , right?
Pinball takes time to build.

Your kidding me, right?

#2760 5 years ago

Personally...I dont care if they build 1 a week.
Quality or quantity anyday of the week.
We've all waited this long, we will all get our machines....eventually.

I hear you and agree. I just recall someone saying 20+ a week was their target with their lines.

#2772 5 years ago
Quoted from WolfManCat:

It was 10pm PST when I PM'ed him. Thats only 1am EST . He worked his magic and got me on the boat for this weeks shipment. Thanks again Joe!

A potc this week? Are you a location/operater?

#2784 5 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I believe he just paid for someone else's spot who wasn't ready to pay in full for delivery?
I'd have a problem too if someone came along and said here is a wad of cash, just put me up to the top of the line above everybody else

Why not just move everyone up a spot who have been waiting for the past year?

#2793 5 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

Does anyone know how many ce's are left, as far as I know there's one left in oz so that means at least 24 are gone. How many are going to Europe

Not sure but I think there are more than you would think still available.

#2796 5 years ago

There is a fine line between production being too fast and quality control suffering and being too slow to operate efficient and profitably.

They build fantastic machines no question about it but with the cost and how long it takes them to get the returned revenue I wonder how viable this is long term especially if the economy were to weaken a bit.

It would be interesting to see their balance sheet.

Did I mention that I’m really anxious to get my damn game already!

#2798 5 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

Have any HOMEOWNERS gotten their Pirates? Not dealers, not bars, not barcades, not museums, homeowners?

I don’t think so

#2807 5 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

I think the target once ramped was 15 per day, hoping for a little higher. First 2 or 3 weeks will be way slower though.
Pirates is so complex. They'll be checking they got everything right, refining the assembly process and analysing feedback from ops and distributors.

Quoted from rubberducks:

I think the target once ramped was 15 per day, hoping for a little higher. First 2 or 3 weeks will be way slower though.
Pirates is so complex. They'll be checking they got everything right, refining the assembly process and analysing feedback from ops and distributors.

15 a day i would consider pretty darn impressive.

#2811 5 years ago
Quoted from mcbPalisade:

Does JJP only build one model at a time? I.E. they stop building WOZ, etc while they build PotC?

Pretty sure they operate multiple lines and thought Hobbit recently stopped production and dialed in is down to one line

Not sure this info is 100% accurate though, I’ve never visited the factory.

#2818 5 years ago
Quoted from Navy_AT1:

Am I the only one that wishes they had a webcam pointed at the assembly line... so you could watch machines being built.. what would be awesome is if Jen calls you and tells you it is on the line and you could watch YOURS being built. ... yeah .. probably just me. I am really anxious to get this JJPOTC LE

This would be pretty cool.

#2836 5 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Gotta agree here, love my Woz "ECLE" but at 1000 and different versions its in no way "limited".
They need to come up with different terminology, Stern too.
The "Davey Jones edition", "The Black Pearl", "Ruby Red" (oh wait they already did that one)
When you see a DICE not selling at a big discount on the secondary market that doesn't inspire confidence at $12.5k.
I love the topper and look of the CE but I'll wait and get it second hand for less if i'm still in the market for one.
Either way, its great to see these games finally starting to ship!!!

I think all machines and all trim levels are generally overproduced.

Set price and make x amount then move on to next title. I think this is even more true now that they are making vault editions so quickly after original build. Seems odd.

#2853 5 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

Totally agree. Like i said, distributors and a select few. No homeowners.

Yep definitely disappointing.

Missed opportunity in my opinion, should have had more of these out for the Labor Day holiday.

#2858 5 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

If buying the pin for my home I wouldn't want one of the very first few games off the line. Let a couple dozen be built first and have any early manufacturing bugs be worked out.

That shit doesn’t worry me. We’re talking minor tweaks here not major failures.

I’ll take my game please.

#2862 5 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

I really don't understand the angst about locations and distributors (for test) getting games in advance of early buyers.
They're the guinea pigs, so that you hopefully get the best tuned, trouble free games as soon as you set them up. They won't just be tweaking setup and assembly, but there will inevitably be fixes and small changes to the code based on early feedback.
You're in no way getting screwed.

If they haven't gotten the kinks worked out over the last 11 months, there is a serious problem with how they do things.

#2865 5 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

That's not how the real world works, especially not on a machine this complex.
They've made constant minor changes. The production machines need to be tested by people who know what they're doing and who will give useful, timely feedback before they go out to home buyers.

I'm not saying that no machines should be on location out of the gate. I just think it should be a 70/30 split, location vs homeowner. Stern doesn't strictly ship to locations/operators first, there are regular folks that get their machines in the same time frame and on a much shorter development and production timeline.
Yes from a mechanical standpoint locations gives it the best test with hundreds of play in a short period of time, BUT there have been thousands of games played on prototype machines anyway.

I think games that the homeowner gets are more likely to bring code issues/bugs to light quicker as you can dig deep into a game easier at home vs on location.

At this point, I would be amazed if there are any serious mechanical reliability issues. Code and bugs who knows because there are quite a few things that were never seen on any of the streams.

These are just my opinion and we are all allowed to have an opinion last I checked.

#2869 5 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

Just venting but its over.

Agree...it’s all good and I’m still very much looking forward to getting mine.

#2877 5 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

I think you'd get your game sooner if you took it out of your current collection since you technically don't have it yet

Lol... your probably right, I got excited a month ago when I was told I’d likely have it by end of month. Oh well!

#2891 5 years ago

New week and new month, are we going to see anything ship to homeowners this week?

#2893 5 years ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

No.
Nothing ever gets done the week of Labor Day.

JJP gives everyone the week off?

Must be nice

#2896 5 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

My guess would be no for September. No soup for you!

I hope your wrong... I should have know better than to ask if anything was going to ship this week, what the hell was I thinking?

We will be lucky to see it by the end of the year.

#2898 5 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

If it would help you feel more at ease you could just send your money to me? That way that burdensome lump is out of your pocket. lol Give them time, I suspect they are in the same place as when you asked 2 days ago.

I'm paid up for my machine so I won't be at ease til it's sitting in my Game room.

#2910 5 years ago
Quoted from mcbPalisade:

I like Gibb's voice. I like Depps too, but can't have that.
I also like Cap't Jack Sparrows lines, they remind me of Yoda-Speak. Make me smile

Gibbs is good but Barbosa would have been the real Pirate voice to get.

#2965 5 years ago

The guys who got the calls, are we allowed to share what distributors are getting them so far?

#3001 5 years ago
Quoted from dnaman:

JJP posted a picture from the factory with a row of LEs but no detail. Tease?

They’ve been teasing us with rows and rows of machines since 8/3.

Where the hell are they all?

#3010 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballj:

Woohoo! JJPOTCLE in the garage! Of course I don't have time tonight to set it up lol.
[quoted image]

You lucky SOB!

Have some fun this weekend! Arghhh!

#3012 5 years ago

So does this mean that JJP started shipping POTC pro’s to operators mid August and POTC LE’s to Collectors the first week of September?
Look at the tip o tell decal on top right of box. Looks like it was handled correctly.

All the ones i saw going to operators were LE’s same as homeowner. Collector editions yet to be built.
They don’t sell many standard editions as JJP calls them.

#3014 5 years ago
Quoted from dnaman:

That would be a drop everything for the weekend, kind of weekend. Just saying...

Yep..I’d be locking myself in the man cave with some pirate drinks!

#3024 5 years ago

Bueller..bueller...anybody?

Too many pirate drinks perhaps?

#3045 5 years ago

Hard to imagine investors continuing to shell out money if you can't reveal one game per year.

Even more so if POTC sales are weak, will need to move on quick.

#3051 5 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Games just started shipping with a lot on the line. Lets not...lol.
[quoted image]

I wasn't jumping to conclusions just making a point that I think JJP should stay the course and continue with their business model. They have a history of announcing at expo and I think that should continue.

Now I do think they should change how they do the reveal and perhaps just announce the title with no details other than game designer etc... don't promise any specific features until finalized and definitely don't mention a timeline.

#3056 5 years ago
Quoted from JY64:

I disagree no good come from one more six month wait. A spring or Texas reveal with a 6 or 8 week wait is the way to go

This would be nice and I’m no fanboy of how they roll these machines out but I just don’t think they are capable of pulling that off.

Maybe announce title and designer at expo and have them ready by tpf. This is even a stretch based on their history but if they could pull it off, it would be about 50% quicker and would say they are on the way to 2 machines per 12-15 months.

#3079 5 years ago

Have there been any videos that show anything from any of the wizard modes?

All the streams I’ve seen where the guys are trying to get there, they didn’t make it.

Have to imagine they are pretty amazing given the quality of the rest of the machine.

#3081 5 years ago
Quoted from KevInBuffalo:

I remember seeing the Kraken one on one of the JJP streams.

I couldn’t remember if that was a wizard mode, mini wizard mode or video mode.

I think each film has its own wizard mode and then one ultimate wizard mode too.

The kraken looked cool, hopefully the others are as good!

#3087 5 years ago
Quoted from mtp78:

Just call JJP and talk to Frank. He just sent me one

He sent you a POTC manual?

#3089 5 years ago

Anyone getting machines this week?

This has got to be the slowest quietest release of a new machine ever.

#3098 5 years ago

I think 2 have shown up on pinside from home owners.

Mine seems to be getting pushed back weekly every time I talk to my distributor, frustrating to say the least!

#3107 5 years ago
Quoted from Zavadoza:

I got mine last week.

I think you post almost daily about not getting your game. You should give poor Joe a break and not contact him every week. It will come.

Very righteous answer for someone not knowing any conversations I've had with my distributor. I was told first week of August it would likely be by end of month, then first week sep, then next week, then delayed for some issues and now last week sep/early oct. just trying to understand what's really going on.

Maybe now you understand but really I'll ask as many times as I f'ing feel like and the fact it bothers you makes me want to ask even more.

FYI - I haven't asked about deliveries here for 10 days, nice try!

2 weeks later
#3128 5 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

I was wondering where all the homeowner machines are. Based on Joe's video from PinballStar, looks like they are all going overseas.

Very disappointing process..this will likely be the last JJP machine I buy until they get their shit in order.

We are now into Oct and not a peep on US homeowner orders, are we really going to go beyond a year from reveal/orders to delivery?

#3130 5 years ago
Quoted from Axl:

remember that other people from around the world are also day one buyers.
factor in the shipping time with boat, i guess you will get yours sooner.

Not disputing that. Shouldn’t take this long and for all of us who have been paid in full, don’t think it’s wrong to be a bit disappointed.

#3132 5 years ago
Quoted from JY64:

You don't need to pre order JJP games there is no shortage of games just wait till the ydistributors have them in stock less stress

Too late for this one! Lol

#3136 5 years ago
Quoted from bemmett:

I think you just need to move out of SADSburyville(home of the most delicious Harry's hotdog) and move to HAPPYpatientville instead. A ton of my family lives in and grew up in Allentown.
I hope these come out soon as well, I made a spot in my game room thinking I'd have it awhile back and that spot just reminds me daily what I don't have yet.

I’m right down the road from Harry’s!

As far a patience, I’m a pretty reasonable person but just dumbfounded at this point.

It’s all good though, I’ll be happy when anyone here gets a game because that will be progress!

#3139 5 years ago

I thought the expectation for early adopters to receive this game was reset to Nov to Dec timeframe. if you are frustrated in early Oct, it is going to be a rough quarter for you

When was this announced?

Is this more conjecture or was this actually said?

Edit - come to think of it, someone here ordered one directly from JJP about 2-3 weeks ago and think they were told Nov.

#3150 5 years ago
Quoted from Axl:

Joe blew up the stream today with a whopping 9 million! Impressive and fun to watch

There was a stream today?

#3152 5 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Looks like it, their Twitch channel shows it was posted 3 hours ago.
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/317626358##

Thanks! I didn’t look, unannounced surprise I guess.

#3191 5 years ago
Quoted from heni1977:

Just waiting to hear from PsW now!
Sorry had to poke a little fun at you!

Haha! It’s all good!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 35.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 19.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Vernon, BC
Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 29.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Mod Co.

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 24.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

Playfield - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 39.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Mod Co.

Machine - For Sale
Smithtown, NY
$ 28.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
255 posts in this topic match your search for posts by Psw757. You are on page 1 of 2.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Psw757.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjpotc-updates-for-production?tu=Psw757 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.